Speaker 1: I am all in again.
Speaker 2: Oh that's just you.
Speaker 1: I Smell pop Culture with Eastern Allen and I Heart Radio Podcast. Hey everybody, Easton Allen, I am all in Podcast, one of the productions I Heart Radio, I Heart Media, I heart podcasts. Hey listen, I got it. I got a hot tip for you. I got it.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: They told me not to say this. They told me not to say anything, but I gotta tell you. Get really close to this is a secret. Okay. I smell pop culture. Isn't that crazy. That's some hot gossip, baby, I smell pop culture. That's what we do on this show. Gilmore Girls. We love it. We love the Gilmore Girls. And they talk. They reference pop culture every single episode so many times. And we're going peace by piece. We are scrolling through. We are digging like a guy in a gold mine. We're looking for the gems. We're looking for the dirt. We're looking for the pop culture nuggets. We are going to explore them. We're gonna see what makes them tick and talk to the people behind these pop culture moments. Today we are talking to aj Benza. If you don't know who aj Benza is, you should. He is the king of gossip. He ran a gossip column in the New York Daily News, he was on the Gossip Show on E and most importantly, he was mentioned in Gilmore Girls. That's why we're talking about today, Season two, episode two, Hammers and Nails. Okay, so here you go, close your eyes. I'm gonna set the scene for you. It's right at the beginning of the episode. The opening credits end. We're at Chilton. Louise, Paris, and Madeline are talking about their academic performance. Madeline says, maybe I won't go to college, and Louise says Princess Grace didn't go to college, to which Paris adds, thanks for the history lesson aj Benza. Aj Benza isn't a typical historian, but he fits in right here on our journey through pop culture. He as I said before, he ran a gossip column in the New York Daily News. He had a show on E called Mysteries and Scandals that I loved growing up. Might I want to tell you get something really quick about my life. I don't know. You can skip ahead if you don't care about me, just skip ahead. But my dad is a He is a bodybuilder and he has a cop He's a very masculine person, very tough guy. He's like so tall, this giant man. He loved the E Channel. He was like obsessed with it. He would watch the E Channel constantly when I was growing up. He's loved The Gossip Show in particular. He loved the Gossip Show. He would watch it constantly. And I tell him about all the stuff I'm doing at work and he it kind of doesn't really care. It's neither. You're norther there. I told him I was talking to aj Benza. He lit up. He was so excited. But Aj Benza hosted a show called Mysteries and Scandals that I remember really liking when I was a little kid. Had this opening of someone making the title card out of like a ransom note. They was like, you know, take the rubber cement and glue the little cutout letters and say Mysteries and Scandals. I just thought that was cool. Aj bens has got this cool slick back hair. He's walking down a foggy alley. There's seem coming up. He's next to an old Cadillac, and he's like, not every story on the dark side of Hollywood ends with a star in the sky. But this week we're going to talk about Jane Mansfield or something like that. So cool, and he's still doing it, baby. He has a podcast out now called Fame Is a Bitch. That is a phrase that he coined. Fame Ain't at a bitch is a specific line. But he has a podcast down now. We still talks about celebrity gossip. We're going to talk to AJ Benza all about this. We're gonna find out how to keep a secret, how to find a secret. We're going to hear it all. He's coming up right after this stay with us. AJ Benza, thank you so much for doing this. We're so excited to talk to you today.
Speaker 2: Same here.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm a longtime fan. I watched Mysteries and Scandals on e I'm a big fan of yours. But I want to go back to the beginning. How did you get started as like a gossip columnist? How did that?
Speaker 2: Wow? Well? I was I was a sportswriter to begin with, and uh out on Long Island and a paper club news day, and then I got my first divorce and I began to go out at night and see all the night life that I wasn't seeing while I was married and a woman who was writing a gossip column for the New York Daily News. Uh liked my style because I was sending her tips here and there from nightclubs, and I saw a lot of things that she never had in her column. Supermodels making out together, I mean, drug sex, I saw everything. So she hired me on the spot. I became her partner on the gossip column at the Daily News, and then she left the business and I got the column, and that was another six years of me and my partner, Michael Lewiitis. And then came the E Gossip Show, which ran in tandem with the with the column, and and then after six or seven years, I got well, that wasn't far and I kind of I left because I got a TV opportunity to do mysteries and scandals at E. And it's funny because when I went out there, I still loved to write, but I knew so much gossip that I knew everybody in town, and they were kind of scared of me because I had written things about them in the past that maybe they weren't too you know, happy about. But power is something in Hollywood that people tend to back away from. And I kind of had some at that point. So I got through the velvet rope, so to speak, and I started getting TV shows. And it's funny because the Gilmour Girls and my career in Hollywood kind of took off at the same time. I was really busy. I knew it was a really tippy top show, and every girl I knew was watching it, including my nieces, you know, and my sister, and I had chances to see it in spots. But then when somebody told me I was mentioned on it, it blew me away. I had no idea that happened. So that was awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was. I was going to ask how that felt. I mean, in The Sopranos, Misters and scandala Is in an episode of The Sopranos. I thought that was kind of cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was around that time. Two thousand. I was on SNL for that twentieth anniversary. I was on Family Guy, I was on Sopranos. I had a movie coming out. I had a book that just came out. It was crazy. It was wonderful, but just really hectic. Not to mention. Every night was you know, hitting the clubs, hitting the restaurants, and just wearing you know, lighting the candle at both ends and gasoline in the middle. It was wild.
Speaker 1: So I'm curious, like when you're when you're out there on the scene, getting the getting the dirt, you know, there's a lot of people that want to share with you, but then there's a lot of people that are going to be obviously so guarded around you. How do you how do you find the stuff that's verifiable? How do you like what's your strategy for finding that kind of information?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I'm a good reporter. I have good intuition, and I made a lot of friends. I made it. I shook so many hens in New York and then la that somebody once told me, when you shake fifty hands in one night, you're really meeting five hundred people because they know people you can contact. So whatever there was a roomor that floated across my phone or my desk, I knew who to reach out to and say, Hey, you know that guy who works in DC blah blah blah or so and so at the hotel, can you hook me up with so ow and so? Can Can I talk to so and so? And that. I would get closer and closer to gossip but there's no question that when I was doing my job, I was both feared and accepted. But I also had a really good knack, especially in New York, to stay out as late as later than any other gossip columns tod out. You know, back then there were about fifteen gossip columns I think in America. I swear there were none in maybe one in California, Nikki Fink, who was great, But that said, it was New York, and one person in La So I just I knew so many people that when I got there, I was very different. I wasn't gay, which a lot of gossip commns saw. I wasn't some fund me from England. I wasn't an older woman like a Smith or Cindy Adams. I was a young, dashing, may I say, you know, hot, temperate Sicilian kid in the streets, dressing like the celebrities dating celebrities. I kind of fit in. And then if I stayed out as late as they did, which I always did, you know, loose lips sink ships. You just somebody told me a long time ago, an old journalist told me, listen with your eyes and here with you. No, listen with your eyes and see with your ears, all right, which is another way of saying, be really sneaky about what you hear. Don't let them hear, don't let them see you hearing what they say. So once I heard some things and saw some things, there was no stopping me. I wasn't afraid of anybody getting angry me. I must have had maybe three or four situations across fifteen years. One time I got punched out by Chuck Siedo, the legendary Hell's Angel. Yeah that was a bad one, but that was all because I was misquoted in New York magazine article. But when it came to gossip items, I mean maybe Ben Stiller got pissed or Matt Damon one, it's like nothing big. It was just like a sorry man, you know, I'm really sorry. I know, big deal, and they just walked away. You know. In fact, I think it helped me if i'd say, I mean, I did study acting, so I don't want to make out like I do nothing. But I got film work because some directors or producers like my appearances on television. They liked my personality. They thought, hey, he could play this role. And I began to get some film roles like that, which satisfied my acting bug. So it was great. I mean, I had a really great time. I'm still doing it on my podcast. I'm still doing gossip to this day. It's been about thirty five years of me, you know, still talking about movie stars and models and all sorts of people.
Speaker 1: I love it. The podcast is Fame as a Bitch with aj Benza. It's a great show, updating multiple times a week. I listened to it on the way to work this morning. It's a really fantastic program. You've done so many forms of media, I mean, print, radio, television, the internet. How is podcasting different for you from all those other methods?
Speaker 2: I like a deadline. You know, a lot of a lot of years in Hollywood, it's a lot of a lot of years are slow. Some months and weeks just fly by because you're so busy. Then there's a long wait time, and that tends to bore me. When I worked for a newspaper, deadline every day at the same time, and you have to produce, you know, a thousand words of gossip every day, no excuses. That's pressure. The podcast is the first thing I've done since since the daily news, where I know I've got to show up every day at a certain time. My head's got to concoct, not concoct. I've got to come up with the gossip I want to talk about. But then again, I also want to I also weave in my history with those people I'm speaking about. If that's the case. Like this morning, I'm going, what's tomorrow show going to be? I'm trying to figure it out. I'm looking out Justin Bieber's having trouble. Okay, that's I can start with that. Oh, Matt Perry had twenty seventh injections to a kedemy in the last three days. Was like, okay, wow, Tracktenberg died at thirty nine. Oh my god. These are all young actors who Wan's in trouble too are dead. And then I happen to see the movie Lolita, the famous movies from sixty two a few nights ago, and the young actress in that was seventeen playing a fourteen year old, and later in life she said it was the worst thing she ever did. She developed a very bad case of bipolarism, and she said that that movie destroyed my life. So I said, okay, there's my show. Young actresses and actors just having all the power. I think this is the greatest life in the world, but no one really takes care of them and looks over them.
Speaker 1: It's a shame, it really is. What do you think about the new generation of celebrity gossip like Crazy Days and Nights Domois, these like blind item things. What do you think of those sites?
Speaker 2: You know, I read them. I like Crazy Days and Nights. Although it's tough to read that site there's so many ads, but I do like it. I find myself. I actually I was just looking at it bef waiting for you to come on, just catching up on stuff. Dumois is a different type of guy. I wasn't a Perez Hilton fan. He did things very differently. He wasn't a journalist. When you come out like I did and study journalism for four years in college and you get your you know, get a press pass to enter buildings or crime scenes, I feel like I'm more equipped to write about this stuff than just a kid who sits at a coffee shop with the laptop and makes fun of Nicole Ritchie and Paris Hilton. So it definitely changed. I think it really changed a lot. A when Princess Diana died, and then when the Internet hit. When the Internet hit. Now we have about probably one point five gossip columnists in America, and believe me, most of them don't know anything about They're just taking other people's items and putting their opinion on them. There's no one they can call and source it out. They don't break stories. It's just a very different world.
Speaker 1: Now, it really is. Okay, let's say hypothetically, you're someone who has information about themselves that they would like to keep secret or private.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's happened. I've had to fix stories a lot for big shots. Yeah, yeah, I mean I think that's where you're asking me, right, if I had information on me? Is that right?
Speaker 1: I mean I was gonna ask, like, how do you how does one keep a secret about themselves?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I always there's a famous quote again, you know, three can keep a secret if two are dead. People people love to talk, you know, people just love to be the per You can tell your best friend, I gotta tell you something you can't tell anybody, of course I would. Ever, within two weeks he's telling somebody, he just said, And if he's got a reporter like me on his back, he's gonna call it up in a day because guess what, he needs a favor from me. See what people don't get about gossip. In my day, a lot of publicists, they were so significant because they represented celebrities and businesses and rocket roll bands. They call you because they have another little project at work where they represent a shoe store. I need a shoe store in your column. You got to say that you know so and so is buying a Paramanola bloncs. I'm like, okay, fine, but I need a story from you. So you want that little shoe store story, give me something big. They call me back and I was like a you know, kind of a tough guy, and they were like, young girls, that's not good enough, goodbye boom. They would pad it. Then they go, okay, look please, okay. Naomi Campbell's having a big problem. She threw a phone and an assistant says it's gonna sue. No one's gonna have to pay her fifty thousands. So then I have these stories and Naomi Campbell never thinks her publicist did this. So a lot of it is quid pro quote. It's not as much reporting and digging as you think as much as Hey, I gotta tell you something you know and can someone back that story? Yeah, I'll call so and so well he can back it up, and then you have your item, and that Adam could be a big story. I mean, look, I always tell people that the Michael Jackson story, the whole thing about sexual abuse of the kids. We had a story because that old this is how thing's developed. An old man who represented the clothing Storre Manhattan, Bernie Bennett. He's long since gone. I think I have something you might like. Aja, what's that? He goes, how'd you like to hear about Michael Jackson taking a little teenage boy to Disney World and staying with them in the hotel. Are you kid? I said, Bernie, don't say another word. Meet me at this place for lunch. We go there. He finds out the story because his wife is friends with a woman who's friends with the kid's mother. It's so convoluted, but it all works out, and this woman would tell Bernie's wife stories every night. So we had the story. We broke the kid's name, Jordan Chandler. We mentioned with hotel, Michael sticks to the kid. The parents sleep in a different room, a different wing and suddenly the whole story blows up. And you know that comes from a little an old publicist who ran, you know, a little business on the side, and it becomes the biggest story in the world. So the more people you know, there's always somebody out that that's got the big story. So me, I always would meet as many people as I could, get drunk with them, shake hands to them, have a flame with them, whatever it took get me in there. Like when Ronald Reagan was getting ill, this is so bad, I had an opportunity to have an affair with his daughter Patty Davis. Wow, and I'm weighing the situation should I do it? And my editor Linda Stacey said, you have to do it. Dig of the pig. We need information on her father. So of course I did it. You know, I mean, that wasn't too painful. But sometimes you're gonna do things you don't want to do, but that one I enjoy doing.
Speaker 1: Now, especially with stories about these big celebrities, you're gonna get a lot of negative backlash from fans, from the general public. You have to deal with that a lot, I'm sure of the years. What keeps you coming back to this to this profession that must be so hard to deal.
Speaker 2: With the older I'm sixty two now, and I kind of feel silly sometimes talking about, you know, Sabrina Carpenter. It's just like, what are you doing? Your friends are millionaires with big houses and boats, and you're talking about Sabrina Carpenter. But I'm just good at it. Look, if you can wake up every morning and love to do what you do and it can support you and your family, there's no shame in that, I mean, and it freezes. We have to do a lot of other things on the side, like hosting a poker show in Las Vegas, writing my third book. You know, if there's a film, I can work my podcast in any part. Like I'm in Chicago now, I live in La I go to Vegas a lot. Just take my laptop, my headset my mic, and I'm ready to go. It's just a hard gun. So I come back to it because I really enjoy it. And even my friends are like, why do you know so much about these people? Because I'm just a voracious reader. I'm always interested in celebrity, and since I was there, I don't consider myself a celebrity, but I was in that pack. I ran with them, I did movies with them, Mel Gibson, sliced alone, Ron Howard, Julia Roberts. I was all around all of them, Bob, I've lived with Robert Evans and Beverly Hills for a while. Oh my god, So why not just, you know, expound on all those stories and legends and lore and the keep the good times rolling.
Speaker 1: I love it and the good times? Do you continue to roll on? Famous a bitch with aj Benza. You can get it anywhere you listen to podcasts. Thank you so much for your time today, a J's It's been so fun hearing your stories and getting to know you.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. I talk to you man, have a good one. Take care of you too.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: That game everybody, and don't forget. Follow us on Instagram at I Am All In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.