Speaker 1: Official Jets bod is presented by win Bet Betting is a team sport bet together at win Bet. Eric Allen here at one Jets Drive join by the head coach of the Saint Louis BattleHawks, Anthony Beck, who still is doing Jets content as an analyst. But let's start right there. XFL Year one. How much do you enjoy it?
Speaker 2: Brother?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: It was a blast? You know, I think for me, you build something from the ground up with your players and staff. You go through training camp and you're really not sure what you have until you get out there. And there was a lot of anticipation, a lot of nerves and anxiety for me, first time head coach, trying to do everything right, trying to get guys prepared for the first time. And then we had an outstanding season. Man seven and three kind of got snubbed from the playoffs with the rules and whatnot, but we were definitely a playoff team, but we had some opportunities at the end to seal our fate and get in, but we didn't quite get over that hump. But just extremely talented football team. We really did a nice job of finding really good players to fill our roster, not just our roster, but we had about ten other players we released that actually played for other teams. So just really good just finding the right player too. You know, not only were they good players, they were good people, high character, you know, minimal issues throughout the season, but we had our standard you know, things that came up popped up throughout the year. But other than that, man, the experience with the XFL did ownership top to bottom first class. Really didn't know what to expect, but I knew obviously with Danny Garcia, Duwayne, the Rock Johnson and the Redburg Capitol group that they were really about the players and from top to bottom, where we stayed, where we practiced, the food we ate every day, how we traveled on the road, just really a plus across the board. Really impressed on you know how they did and really set that up for our staff and our players. So our players had a great environment. We were able to build something fairly quickly. It's another thing too, just trying to get a culture build in forty days of training camp. You know, these guys never met each other, never been around each other, having been coached by our guys, didn't know me. So just really all in all, from top to bottom. A great process and I loved it.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: I immersed myself in every possible detail, angle situation that I possibly could, and you know, put that time in every day that we're there as if I was coaching an NFL team, right, So just grind it for you know, four and a half five months and just loved it. Loved waking up early, loved going to bed late, you know, working with the staff, the players, and really ended up being a super successful season for twenty twenty three, one.
Speaker 1: Of the four aces in the Jets two thousand draft class. Of course, you played more than ten years in the National Football League. At what point did he get the itch for coaching? When did that brug enter your body?
Speaker 2: You know, after I took a year off after my last season in twenty eleven, I really put a lot of options out on the table. You know. I was really brought into a lot of the teams that I played for in the back end of my career to really add to the leadership of the locker room, the tight end room, add to the group, the experience of the knowledge and help the coach that was actually in the in the tight end room as well. You know, those were things that I just grew to love. I loved helping players. I loved helping you know, guys come together, understand not only the tight end position, but also galvanize a locker room. And those things happened a lot later in my career when I was you know, that veteran type of player. After I was done, you know, it was media, I was coaching. There was my family, my kids, A lot of different things there that kind of pointed me into a different direction. I was still able to coach in a smaller level nflp Agent, collegiate All Star games I did those those were great, kind of kept my toes in the water a little bit. I trained some of the top tight ends coming out of the draft for you know, over that stretch of time from twenty twelve on and really started towards the end of or at least most recently last couple of years, get involved in coaching. Went out in the AAF, did that full time in that spring league in San Diego, and coach Marts really helped propel me, kind of like pushing me out of the media side and say, listen, man, you got too much knowledge, too much there to give back to players, you know, you need to be coaching in some capacity. So that was a great start for me from a full time standpoint. And then obviously when this opportunity with the XFL came about and my kids now in college, been able to do a lot of other things, this was the right time for me. And you know, calling games for ten years with ESPN and the college landscape, NFL landscape, working with the Jets, all different types of capacities that really kind of helped me understand the game, the player a little bit more from the college standpoint and currently what the league is doing. And for me, just okay, I've learned so much from different organizations, from coaches, from other leaders and players I've been around. Now it's okay, how can I put that together and also now do it the way I want to do it. So I'm very fortunate to get the head coaching opportunity worked my way, sold a vision to the XFL, and then once I got in, man, I was all in. I was ready to go. It was perfect timing for me, and right now I love what I'm doing that It's a great space for me, and like I said, this is a space where players want the knowledge they have chips on their shoulders and they're this close to getting to the goal that they want to reach. Whether that's the NFL, whether that's just continuing to play football at a professional level, whatever that may be. It's my job to fill those holes, and I think this is the best space for it.
Speaker 1: You were all in, you dove in to the deep waters after that last game, you guys finished seven to three. You go to the podium and all the emotions overcame you can you talk about that experience you finish up that first regular season and all those experiences that you guys had coming to a conclusion. What was that like for you?
Speaker 2: You know what? Honestly, that scenario was interesting because you know, we're in a game where we had to score a ton of points. We couldn't give up a lot of points. We were doing some things that were really unorthodox. Right. You had the game in hand by the third quarter, but you still have to push your players and you're trying to score more. And it just kind of hit me. Man, I've been in their shoes. I know how hard it is to play the game at the level you have to play at. What your body is going through, what these guys have gone through for ten weeks of the season in the training room, trying to be available for me every single week, playing through injuries, going through training camp, and to have to go into that game and try to do more than you normally would have to. It was emotional for me because I understand those levels that you push your body to, and it just, you know, I was just so appreciative of what the players had done, not only in that game, but up to that point. You know, they really bought into what I was, you know, really selling for them and what I was trying to push them to, and every single week they gave it my all, and it just kind of hit me a little bit on just what we had to do in that final game, the limits that they pushed themselves, and I just was deeply, you know, had a lot of gratitude for what they had done to that point, being that you know, that game was in hand into the early third quarter and they had to keep pushing themselves and pushing themselves. It was great for the fans to see. It was exciting. We had some great plays, but you know, also knowing that man, these guys, you know, guys had hamstrings knees, you know, all kinds of different things, you know, lower backs, elbows, hands, thumbs, fingers. I mean just you know where you really could have pulled back in that opportunity, we had to push forward, and they did it without any excuse, without any you know, sideways looking at me and they and they really finished the season strong. So it was just more of an emotion towards the gratitude of the players.
Speaker 1: How about the gratitude for the fans. Man Saint Louis was rocking, did you guys say, the best attendance in the XFL.
Speaker 2: They killed it, really, you know. And I tried to immerse myself with the fan base early on. You know, we didn't have a team when I was hired last February, you know, so I had to do a lot of the leg work and interactions. I tried to touch as many fans on social media as possible, just you know, trying to do different things in the market. When I went up there probably four or five times prior to the season starting, and I just promised, I said, look, I needed them to show up every week. I needed as many fans as possible where I wanted them to break the spring attendance records every single week, and I promised them that in return, I'd give them a good product. I just believed in what we had from a players standpoint, I believed in what we could build, and I believed in the vision that I had, And even though there was probably not a lot of clarity on what it would be game one, I just knew if we did it the right way, found the right players, that we could give these fans not only just football, but give them a winning product, give them something, you know, to show up and cheer for every single week, and give them the opportunity to see a team push their way and try to get to the goal of winning a championship. And we were able to do that. But they showed up, they showed out. I think we broke the attendance record the I think we had the five highest attendance rated crowds in our five home games in five straight consecutive weeks. But man, they were awesome. Face paint outfits, T shirts, shoulder pads, helmets, swords, hawk feathers. I mean, they lined up before the game's entranced into this into the domeforce waited for us, came early, and they were great on third down, man, I really pushed the envelope. I wanted that place to be a difference maker, and it was great for our players because, you know, Eric like, it's one thing to play the game, to push and do things at the professional level to try to continue to enhance your game, but also under the pressures and constraints of a crowd, noise, of scenarios and situations where the noise and the crowd mat especially when you had guys on defense trying to communicate. The crowds loud, they're trying to, you know, make it hard for the offense. If you're able to play under those constraints as well, that's almost as realistic as playing in the NFL, and that's what those guys need as well. So I'm just very thankful for the fan base coming out every single week and supporting our team, and just glad we're able to give them a winner year one.
Speaker 1: What can you tell us about your relationship with The Rock, Dwayne Johnson, Because if anybody's following you on social media, the Rock was all over what Saint Louis was doing, and of course his involvement in the XFL is well known. That's widely publicized, but it seemed like you guys had quite a few back and forth throughout the year we did.
Speaker 2: He's so passionate about what this league is, what it's about. You know, he was selling the entire time. You know, that fifty four number. He was that guy that was on the outskirts, that needed that opportunity, that needed that league to really help him get to the draft, to the NFL. He wasn't able to get drafted, He wasn't able to get that chance, went to the Canadian League, wasn't quite the developmental league that he was looking for. And you know, look it worked out for him obviously, and what he's doing now, but he's really passionate about helping these players, allowing them and give them that opportunity to kind of pursue themselves. I mean, this is kind of a per you know, you'd be surprised how many guys are in this kind of purgatory between college and NFL that have either gotten a chance, gotten there, was invited, practiced, made a couple of years, still have it, but yet can't latch on because their skills haven't been able to continue to develop, because they haven't been able to play more. They just they're there, but you know, they didn't get that opportunity to continue to show and shine. And this is what this league is for. You're talking about thousands of players that went to showcases, that tried to reach out to me on social media, just any way possible to try to get a chance, and you're evaluating you're trying to pick fifty one players to be on your roster. It's incredibly hard. And you know, our league was able to allow four hundred plus players to kind of continue their dream and show that they can, you know, play at a high level, play at a higher level. And we're seeing that now in the back end, guys getting signed, invited to mini camps. You guys had a few players, I mean, just really a unique opportunity for these players to really get their shot after they've worked so hard and continue to get it through our company and XFL in our league. You know, Dwayne just really did a great job pushing that envelope for them and speaking to them personally. We all came together in training camp and all the ownership was there, and then of course the led work of Danny Garcia, the first female she's a woman of football right. She's our commissioner, she's our leader, our chairwoman, and she did a great job of just putting together what needed to be there and showing nothing and being there for the fans and the players at the stadiums, at the games, at the practices, and really developing a league that can help these guys shine and pursue their dreams.
Speaker 1: What was your mindset as a head coach you taking on this role for the first time in a new league. How did you go about connecting with the guys? But also what kind of personality do you think your team took on to the field that kind of embodied everything that you wanted them to have.
Speaker 2: You know, I just only knew one way as a player how to do it. Head down, lunch pail, blue collar, fight, be be available, be accountable. Uh. You know the discipline it takes to play four quarters. Uh, minimizing mistakes and making sure the mental side was was as clear and and and and and really the ability for them to to push through adversity uh and come out on the other side in a positive way. Number One, I had to gain my players trust and that that encompasses a lot of things. It encompasses Okay, what we're doing on the practice field, why we're doing it. You know, why we're tackling today. You know, we don't have a lot of time to do these things. Why are these things important? But also from a personal level, understanding that every player, when I sit and talk to them in front of a large space in our team meeting, that they're not going to really some guys are going to take in things differently. It may work for them, it may not. But when we break it down on the field and I get to know these guys, understanding who they are, why they're playing, what their why is, and what pushes them. Some guys, you can they want to get it. You know, they want to want you to get in their backside right every single day in practice. They want to push you a limit. Some guys you got to pull them to the side and talk to them, you know. I mean, look, you can't coddle every player, but you've got to be able to deliver the message properly so you get the most out of it from each and every player. And then also the mental side, the mental wealth and well being of these players. I really kept my door open for them because I want a clarity for them, and I wanted to offer help if I could in any way possible for me because a lot of these guys aren't coming from riches. A lot of these guys aren't coming from situations that are great. You know, we're paying our guys really good for four months. They make really decent money for that four month span. But kids, family, friends, girlfriends, wives, they're living together, they're roommateing, you know, twenty six year old guys have roommates. I mean, it's you know, there's a lot of factors that go into it. As you're striving to reach your goal that some of them may never reach, quite frankly, So you know, just for those guys to understand they can come to me and they're going to get that same guy every single day. So got to be able to push their buttons, push the envelope for them and get the most out of them on a day to day basis. Totally be engaged with that. But also it can't be coach speak every day. You have to be able to connect with your guys and I tried my best to do that, and ultimately, when we got to the field in game one, we saw guys that were present in the moment that were you know, prepared to what to do the obstacle that we're ahead of them, to fight through for four quarters, to play with that hustle to to to be you know properly, I guess, you know, don't go out there and be on sportsman life to stay away from those kind of those penalties that really hurt our team and to really you know, play with the passion and understand it every week means something and it's big, and it's the resume and just you got to stay on them in this league, and i'd say for coach solid too in a professional ranks. With the generation that you're dealing with now, your message, the way you teach things has to be constant every single week and day. You have to be made You have to make sure you're pushing and continually saying and pushing the same thing sometimes almost because it's got to be ingrained in them on a day to day basis. If you explain something, you go through something, you teach something, and you assume they're going to pick it up orther, you assume they're going to learn it a certain way that and that's it, it's done. Is a really naive for you as a coach and a leader, a man of LEADERSHI have to think that way because unfortunately, in the generation win, there's a lot of distractions. There's a lot of things now that are out there that aren't quite as concise as maybe when I played, you know, just two decades ago, which isn't that long, but it was a different time. We didn't have those things. So doing all those things in a short amount of time, you know, trying to just be strategic with it was my plan. And ultimately it really comes down to can you win and lose? You know how your win and your performance come down to it. We were able to do a really good job of it. So I'll go back, I'll critique myself like everybody gets assessed, players, coaches, and again try to make it better. For twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: Win percentage of seventies not too bad. In year one. You mentioned Robert Sala there. We've worked quite a few Jets game days together over the past few years. What was your reaction when you heard that not only did Aaron Rodgers want to play in the National Football League this season, but he wanted to play for the Jets.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable, unbelievable for the organization. You know, we looked at this thing, Eric, and we watched these young players come in the last couple of years with coach Sala and Joe Douglas, and what their plan was year one, year two, and now with this year three to add that piece, that golden piece at the quarterback position. And this isn't disrespectful to Zach Wilson or anyone else that's on the roster. When you get a chance to get a guy like Aaron Rodgers, a guy that can arguably can take you to a championship with the pieces you have around you immediately, that's just it's monstrous. And you got a lot of young, good, talented players that play the game for the right reasons, that go out there and work hard, have great character, and are really mature above their years. And you have all these pieces now where you feel like you can make that push. What's that last piece of the puzzle? You know, I think any team in the league, regardless of their quarterback they have, would love to have an Aaron Rodgers. I think he's got a lot of football left. He seems very passionate about, you know, making this decision, pushing forward and making the most of it, and he believes he can win. I mean, if I'm Aaron Rodgers, I'm sitting there, I'm thinking, Okay, yeah, New York, great market, sounds great, But man like I'm not. I got all the notoriety, I have all the money, all these things. I got to go somewhere where I can win. And I'm sure he had other options and places to look at. And when he looked at this roster top to bottom, he looked at the coaching staff. Robert Salah, you know, Nathaniel Hacket, who comes in as the coordinatory, be able to really plug yourself in and be another coach on the field. I mean that recipically for me, as I look at AJ mccerrn, similar understands our system knows what Bruce Grakowski the plays. I mean, immediately can jump in. Now he can be like an additional OC for your players and play at a high level. And now he just has to go out and perform. And we all know that he's done that at a very high level for his entire career. And you know, we've seen players like Tom Brady and some of these players play longer in their career. The way the rules are set up. This is great, man, and this is going to be a phenomenal season. You know. Look, there's a lot of pressure that comes with it too, not for him, but for everyone else to perform at that level. To be able to go out there now and turn that switch on and think of yourself as one of the better teams in the NFL and do that week the week. You know that for the coaching staff the same way Robert solid that this is a team now that has to make that huge jump, right. It's not just getting to the playoffs, you know. To me, it's pushing forward winning a playoff game, getting to that goal of potentially winning a Super Bowl. But man, that piece that's there now, I can't wait to see it. I mean, this might be the most defining moment in Jet's history as far as when you talk about the leadership and the player at that position, where it's been the last two, three, four decades, all the way back to Joe Namath. This is pretty incredible. So it's a special time and you pray for all those other pieces to be healthy and get through the season, and if you had that man and the pieces that Joe Uggas has continued to put on this football team. It's unprecedented where we are in the organization and the era for the Jets.
Speaker 1: You play in between the white lines at thirty nine and Rogers is going to turn forward in December. What is he right now? What does he physically bring to the field at this point? And you just mentioned it. It's not like Rogers is the only piece here. But what he Johnson said at the beginning of the offseason, quarterbacks been the missing piece. So you find that missing piece. What does Rogers have to be for the Jets?
Speaker 2: The same guy he's been his entire career. You know, the fact that he's there now like currently as we speak is great. He gets that, right, he knows the importance of it. He's not a guy that's going to be sticking around in past years. He's going to train himself. He's going to get to where he needs to be and prepare himself for the season. So the fact that he's he understands that there's not that you know, that that sense of self selfishness that Okay, yeah, I'm there, I get it, I know the offense, I don't have to be He knows he's got to build the report with receivers, with the lineman, with all these guys to really build something so it works quickly. That that's the goal. Week one, you need to come out the gate firing. And it's not an easy schedule, man. This is a schedule early on that's going to be you know, it's going to test the fortitude of this team because you know, if you want to get where you want to be and and you want to get to those goals, you got to beat those teams. You got to play those teams, and they're going to get that chance this year. So you know, he's going to be prepared. I think that's the number one thing. The fact that he's there leads me to believe that he is going to have himself ready to go, and then ultimately can he help prepare and get everybody else around him ready? Is it his responsibility? No, but it's his responsibility to build that camaraderie, to build that team, and that's the quarterbacks job. That he knows that that's what he did in Green Bay for all these years, and that's why those players loved playing with him. Lineman, running backsight ends, they loved playing with Aaron Rodgers, and now he's got to kind of do that over again. And I think the best thing about it is he did it away in Green Bay that maybe, okay, he thought was a good way he kind of tried to do things. But now he uses those experiences and now comes here fresh where nobody really knows, with a couple of players that have been around him, obviously, like Lizard and Randall, to really build something and do it the way that he wants it so that everybody's on the same page. And I think that starts with play calling. The play caller, all that stuff is in line, and I just think you play a little harder. Okay, if you're a lineman, a tight end. I remember, you know when I used to block for Curtis Martin, you know, Hall of Fame back, You just you didn't want to let that man down, right because you saw he played through injury. I saw the things that he did on a day to day basis, and it just took personal responsibility for me to go out there and be great for him as best or be as great as I could be in that moment. And I think that's what the lineman and guys like that will feel a sense of I gotta protect this guy. I gotta catch this ball. If I'm a tight end, if I'm a running back, I gotta get these yards. I gotta pass protect because he earns that respect. I saw that in Tampa with Tom Brady, same kind of situation. Guys stepped up their game. It was barely sacked. They protected him and he went out there and did his thing at a high level. So this is really an interesting time and I just think that those are the things that I'm interested to see how that grows and develops, and how guys strain a little more, not that they weren't in the past, not that they weren't playing one hundred percent, but sometimes in your mind mentally you just push it to the next envelope because you want to be great around a guy that's as great as Alan Rodgers.
Speaker 1: Do you see the parallels there with Brady. Brady had that illustrious twenty year run essentially with New England. Then he comes to Tampa that first year. Where the most significant difference, I would say, ab the way I look at it is you just mentioned it, is that Aaron Rodgers to a place where he's already got familiarity with the coordinator, like he loves Nathaniel Hackett. Those guys have an established relationship. And you said he could be an extension of the coaching staff and essentially another coach on the field where Brady goes to a very talented Tampa roster, but he and Bruce arians had to come together and figure out that system over time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, that that's that was big. I mean, he talked about that being a foreign language when he came in there and learning the system. A lot of the things are the same, but the terminologies that was challenging for him. And ultimately that that was that slow start that they had that first year. Now they were able to pick it up in the back end and it clicked. But because you got a guy like Tom Brady that can handle that. But it's really it's it's gonna be easy for Nathaniel, it's gonna be easy for Aaron obviously because they know it. Because of theirs youth in this team, really good youth, talented youth that they're gonna have to pick up a new system, you know, like and Garrett Wilson. You know, there's gonna be some similarities, but terminologies are different wordings, different so you have to rego through that process. And they picked it up great last year, which was great, but now they're gonna have to do it again. And I just see those guys excelling. I know, guys like Breest Hall, I know what he's about. He's going to be a better player than he was last year. Garrett Wilson, you watch him play multiple quarterbacks, the numbers he put up. Now he's got a guy like Aaron Rodgers, Like I just to me, a sky is the limit on how good he can be. There were more proven talented players around Brady and Tampa than there are with the Jets, but don't misconsue that as not as talented, because they do have the talent. And then defensively, the pieces were there to really hold teams when you got those leads and really do some good things on the defensive side, which is good. The fact you have a defensive coach, head coach that now, okay, all those efforts, those things and we saw from last year how well they played throughout the season and improved from the year before. Those things are going to you know, be even bigger now and helpful in my opinion, because if you get now where you become a team that's a little more offensive and you put up points. The way the other team plays against you is a little bit more riskier if you can get those leads. Now it's reversed. So now that that's a positive for the defense, and I think that can allow them to be even better than they were. So the growth in the development of the system of everybody learning it outside of the quarterback is going to be really something that's important. And that's why Aaron's there right now, right, So that's that extra guy, and it's it's going to be vitally important for the skill players and the running backs and the line to really get on this quickly, and they will because that's their job. This is how you do it. I mean it can it's easily done OTAs all this stuff is there for them to get it, so when they hit training camp they can hit the ground running. But again, it's nice to know that your quarterback and your OCO will be on the same page, have a good feel, and those things will mesh well. And now it's just coordinating. Okay, you utilize the talent within the system that Nathaniel Hackett's running, so you can maximize the play from the people that are on the field.
Speaker 1: So your son Rocoll plays quarterback at Iowa State for Matt Campbell. I gotta imagine that you guys had big smiles on your faces for a second consecutive draft weekend because Brice Hall, after the Jets selection of Will McDonald with the fifteenth pick in this year's first round, said the New York Cyclones. Because the Jets not only draft Hall last year and he was fantastic in his first seven games, but they signed Ellen Lazard free agency, a former Cyclone, and then they come back in the first round with Will McDonald.
Speaker 2: What do you think? Really awesome? Rocco got to throw to Allen a couple times when he came back to the facility. You know, in the offseason, it's just great man. Breese Hall. They still stay in touch. Breese Hall is just an incredible player. She's a home run hit man. He just, uh, he's big time. I knew he would be better in the league. I mean, for whatever was a five six games that he played, he was the best back in the NFL arguably right yards from scrimmage. Everything he did and he was the component for this team.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: When he comes back, he's healthy, that's huge. And then Will McDonald obviously got to watch every snap of him last year, going to all the games. Extremely talented player, elite pass rusher. The dude's got a major chip on his shoulder. You know, you guys will document the stories. He's come from nothing. Man, This kid is as humble as it gets. Works his butt off and I mean probably a little bit misused at Iowa State because of the defensive structure that they have.
Speaker 1: To help on a tackle last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know, I did love that, but I get it that's where they were. He's just not you know, that body type. Hurt that right, but he was still effective. But again, cranking him outside now, putting them on an island with somebody, I just it's gonna be fun to watch because for him, I think it's going to add a layer of his game that he hasn't been able to really show as much, you know, being out there every single time now, and you know, he's probably not going to be used much in that run stopping game, and you know, it's a passing league, so he's going to be used in a lot of those scenarios. I think, you know, he could easily be a double digit guy year one. I just I just see it. And you know, again, size is always effective. But we've seen guys come into the league, uh you know a little bit underskis longer, guys have been able to get it done. He'll get stronger and he'll get bigger, but you know, he's always been a guy that can play. He's got an incredible motor number one, so you know, against the run, chasing things down across the field, backside, outside, he's got all that. Now you know he can do that, and he's got a verage of pass moves that you know with his flexibility, dip spin, it's a little bit of a different level. You know, you're not you don't see that every day in practice. And you know Carl last on the X high motor guy, right like, he goes as hard as you can possibly go. But the things that will can do, you know with his body because he's not as big, the flextion, the dipping, the spin, the balance of staying on your feet, all those different things, that's a game changer now when you look at it. So really excited to see him, but yeah, I always state ties are great man. I love it. You know, and it's the reason why my son picked the school. I mean, you know, Matt Campbell has developed players, developed men, high character, elite players. You look at every year, they're getting guys drafted at the highest level. Xavier Hutchinson got drafted this year. Receiver is going to be phenomenal in Houston. I think he got drafted later than he should have. I think he's going to be a really good player. He'll be a starter for them at the receiver position. So they're putting players out and I had several of them on my team because I just know the fabric that they come from, right, so I just know that I can count a lot of the intangible things that I need I don't have to develop. They're gonna have that, and they're gonna be able to just by attrition pass that on right to the other guys that I had on my team, like Mike Rose the linebacker and and Keem Butler. These guys are going to be playing in the league next year. I know they're gonna sign. They're going to do those things because those are the kind of guys that the league wants. But they still have talent. So it's great to see you know, who knows. We'll see what the future lies with the Cyclone players moving forward. But I think it's awesome. Man, these are good players. These guys get it and they come in a little bit beyond their years, which I think helps them succeed. We saw that last year with Breese and and hopefully we see that this year with Will.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so ab says Will McDonald, would not be a surprise for him to come out of the gate with double digit sacks. You know that Jets are gonna put him in fortuitous positions as far as the concerned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, another thing too, like let's go like put him out there, like we need him to be involved like a sap and and and just put them into the into the into the fire. You know, I remember John Abraham getting drafted. You know, he was more of a situational guy early in his career. But hey, let's go like, let's play him. Let's get this guy to learn and understand the tempo, the play of what it takes to be a premier pass rusher going against the very best tackles in the league every single week, and let him get those reps. And even if you're sacrificing on taking a chance in some of those second down circumstances where it may be a run or pass, and you take those chances. He's still he can still play the run. It's just that he's got to be creative on how he attacks and gets to that back and he's got those weapons in his toolbox. So I want to see him on the field often as much as possible, and let's go because this team is in dire need for a guy that can do it at his level, and he needs those reps, constant reps every single day and every single week on Sundays.
Speaker 1: What do you think about the arms race? What is which is the AFC East? The Bills have won the last three division championships. You got Miami who made the playoffs last season AB and they were there toe to toe with the Bills in the postseason with Skyler Thompson playing quarterback. They add Jalen Ramsey in the offseason and Vic Fangio is their new defensive coordinator. Buffalo's made some changes to the roster, most notably I guess you would say adding Dalton Kincaid out of Utah. So maybe they're gonna see more two tight end sets for the Bills in Josh Allen. The Jets will host will host the Buffalo Bills twenty two years after nine to eleven. Of course, in September eleventh there at METLFE Stadium to open the season. You talk about the gaunt with the Jets are gonna have those first six games, and then New England is always tough as well. They bring Bill O'Brien back to beat the offensive coordinator, so you figure there would be better offensively, but we might be looking at a division where New England's looking up at everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, incredibly incredibly tough division. Everybody is continuing to amp up, and you know you'd like to see, obviously the Jets where they finally get those pieces in place where everybody's kind of trickling trying to find a way, But this is this is how it is, man. Every team is trying to get to that pinnacle every single year. So this division is going to be outstanding. I think the Jets should feel good about how they played against these teams in the division last year, and now the pieces that you have coming back that you've added in the offseason clearly is going to take you to a level that you feel really good about defensively. Obviously for the Jets that that's a huge point because they played well pretty much against everyone in the division throughout the years, so it was really getting that spark offensively. How many games did we watch Eric where we just if we just had a score here, we just had to drive here, Like those things are so vitally important because of the way the defense played. All those pieces are back, So I think that's just going to be a huge difference on the field. Yeah, when you look at our schedule, I think we looked at the schedule last year. You know, there was a guy out there, a former NFL guy, Brady Quinn that talked about eight or nine through them because he looked at that schedule and thought it was devastating. Well, yeah, we look at the schedule this year and we say, okay, yeah, from last year, the way they play this is tough. But we don't know how things are going to shake out. You never know how those things unfold, and and you know, sometimes it's it's the teams that are playing the Jets are in their mind, what are they thinking, Like, man, we got to deal with them. They're they're pesky. They were pesky last year and they didn't have a great offense, and now they got Aaron Rodgers and now things change, right, So now it's it's a different mindset on how teams think about you, which is vitally important in this process as well. So Joe Douglas his staff continues to load up, continue to get young players establish themselves. And now you're a problem even though your division stronger, maybe the best division of football, and your schedule looks demanding. But you got to look at on the flip side, teams don't want to play you either. You need to take advantage of those situations. And I just look at it that way. I look at the schedule, I see I can see eleven, twelve, ten to twelve. I can see those things happening for this team. But one week at a time, man, they got to figure it out. Come out guns of blazing to start the season and get to the playoffs early. Like come out so you have a swagger and a confidence about yourself where you're believing week two, three, four, so that when you're making that push and you get to that back end, there'll be some ups and downs. Guys finding the same page to speed the tempo, they can they still have enough to win those games and get through it and then bam on the back end of the season, which we know, we'll blink our eyes and we'll be there. Then now you see the team that Okay, this is the team we drafted, these are the players we brought in. This is where we want to be, and now we're going to make that push in year, in that vital year. Now. So that's what I see for the for the twenty twenty three season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's end here as a guy who played with the last division winner two thousand and two, Jets win the division at nine to seven. You play to win the games. What do you think about the environment that is going to be at MetLife this season as far as Aaron Rodgers come to town. You saw the Jets take those steps from four and thirteen where they embraced the youth movement. They nearly double that win total last year, go to seven and ten. That was a playoff team, had not you endured so many injuries and gotten some consistent play from the quarterback position. But I mean they finished with a six game losing streak.
Speaker 2: Ga B.
Speaker 1: You were seven to four, as we know very well. But now you add Rogers to the equation, what do you think it's going to be like as a guy who played in front of these fans and they're so hungry for a winning winner, so starving for a winner, what do you think the environment's going to be like at home this year?
Speaker 2: Is this where I make my Saint Louis BattleHawks fans pitch to the Jets fans as well to get them listen that look, if you're a Jet fan, okay, and you've been upset, you've been waiting like you talk about, or you've been a diehard that's been there every single week for the last decade, two decades, show up this year. I just to me, it's just such a game changer. You look at some of these teams, Kansas City, Seattle, when they're at home, it is a different animal, different perspective. Players have to deal with another piece of trying to win a game. You know, you look at those stadiums filled and listen. Jet fans have been incredible. When I go to the games, I love seeing them. They're tailgating. There's so many passionate fans. But we got to get more coming back. We got to get more in those seats. We got to get more folks showing up early. Too early on is the best. The weather's great, right, so that to me is a huge factor in it. But I just feel like, man, players really feed off that. Players know that that can help them. It hurts opposing teams off, especially in those crucial downs. Man, we see it so many times every single week. If that place is rocking and rolling, every one of them seats is filled throughout, and you got these players, they will feed off that, man, and it could be a special season. You don't want to miss that, you know if I'm talking from a fans perspective, because this could be a special year and there's always going to be those we'll wait and see. I'll wait till they win or But to me, why, I mean, like, if you're a true Jet fan and your schedule's open, let's go, like, show up, be there. This organization is now doing everything they can to give you the players to put a product on the field. You can be proud of the fact that they went out and got Aaron Rodgers and made that happen. Speaks volumes about where Woody Johnson is, Joe Douglass and this team is trying to be right. They're not trying to just compete in the division. They're trying to win a championship. It's like a legit real thing for this team now on what they have. Don't miss these year, two year, three year run that they're going to have where it can be really special. So I can't wait to see the crowd Week one. I can't wait till it. What it looks like, it's going to be awesome and it's going to be a special season. So yes, show up, I mean the fans are it's going to be awesome. Man. I can't wait to see that crowd and really how that's going to be an advantage for this team this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, think about those first four games the Bills nine to eleven. Then you come back Week three, the Patriots, a long time nemesis. They got a fourteen game win streak over the Jets in the regular season. I've been on Rockers saying the streak ends there. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, ab But then Week four it's Aaron Rodgers Patrick Mahomes head to head for the first time in their careers. And then after a Week five day to Denver, the Jets come home and play the second Super Bowl participant from last year, the Philadelphia Eagles, So it is going to be a fun slate throughout. The Jets are must see TV. The NFL knows that. That's why they put them on five times in primetime in the Black Friday Game as well. We are so happy about the success you had so far have had so far in the XFL. The head coach of the Saint Louis BattleHawks, that's Anthony Beck. But he also hopefully is coming back for some analysis in twenty twenty three of the New York Jets as well, because, like you just mentioned, hey man, we must see a must watch and we got to have your analysis next.
Speaker 2: Season, no doubt. You know you mentioned the schedule. I love the schedule makers for the primetime action because that gives me some more wiggle room to get from Ames, Iowa to where I need to be in Florham Park in the stadium. So yeah, it's it's gonna be great. I can't wait. It's gonna be fun. It'll start off for me in the preseason calling two of the preseason games and we'll see what the what the year looks like but looking forward to working with you again Thanks brother Yod,