Speaker 1: Cutbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the Old Republic, a soul fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse. Wow to the Clearinghouse of hot takes, break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 1: In the air everywhere. The Fifth Hour with Me, Ben Maller and Danny G Radio. It's Saturday, hanging out with you. It's the twenty fourth day of May. We are back at it, slaving away on the weekend, the hot microphones in the pods studio, ready to bloviate all day long. Well actually like maybe the next thirty forty minutes. Who knows how long this will be. But Dany, we were back at it and last night. How about those New York Knicks home court advantage? Baby, the Knicks are They're not gonna lose back to back games at home, Danny G. No way. The Indiana Pacers cannot win back to back games at Madison Square Garden, the world's most famous arena.
Speaker 3: Unless yeah, yikes, as you would say. They vomited all over themselves, rode.
Speaker 1: The vomit commet. They sucked at a time you cannot suck. It was a tie game going to the fourth court. They were tied at eighty one, and then in the fourth quarter, did not get her done. Did not get her done by the skin on their chinny chinchin the Knicks blow it. And so the Pacers, oh my god, they have a choke hold. They have an absolute choke hold.
Speaker 3: I see what you did there on this series.
Speaker 1: Here, and how about the Pacers the winning last night.
Speaker 3: They're so good on the road in these playoffs, and the Knicks are three and five at home in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: No, I know they're gotta losing regular Tyrese Haliburton. In the first half, I was flipping back and forth because I may or may not have had some bets on the on the on the baseball, but I'm watching the basketball and he was horrific. Every time I flipped over, he was missing a shot or not making the right pass, and it was it was not not good. He's one of seven at halftime. Now, one of those at the end was just like a throwaway three point shot. Uh, you know, to try to beat the buzzer, but still he was. He was terrible in the first half. And then Indiana to win a game with Halliburton, who's been their guy. Not all that great, but it's it's legend and as long as this guy plays, he will always be associated with Marcel and Brooklyn. Pascal Sea cum Uh Pascal Siakam was outstanding, uh for the for the Pacers obviously me led led thirty nine point twenty three of them in the first half.
Speaker 3: Yes, and doesn't see it come look like he's fifty years old.
Speaker 1: That is still one of the greatest things I've ever had. Yeah, he's a little older, but you know, one of the greatest soundbites ever. And so there you go. And there's not like one person to blame per se for the Knicks. You could say Jalen Brunson. He did have ten points in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 3: Ah, those last couple of threes he shot up were ugly looking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And there was that inbounds play where he got called for the foul I.
Speaker 3: Think it was, but the taste holding that jersey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I mean there were a couple of things there. But the Knicks did not have a lead in the fourth court. There were no lead changes. It was tied once obviously the start of the quarter, but there were no lead changes. And so Indiana, I have no skin in the game. I liked I like the way the Pacers are playing, So whatever, that's.
Speaker 3: What I feel like. You know, Brunson that first three he chucked up at the end of the game, felt like he really rushed that shot because he thought they were going to foul him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, the thing about the Pacers, though, watching the way they play, it's like they didn't have that Andrew Nemhart didn't go crazy, Nate Smith didn't really none of those secondary guys. It was Siakam. And then the other thing that stood out with the Pacers is the fact that they they just they don't do anything terribly on offense. You know, it's like they're good in every phase, just about it. It's pretty crazy anyway. So that's the basketball. How about the Yankees last night losing to the Colorado Rockies. Wow, how much money do you think the sports book on the low information fan that saw all those stories written about how the Rockies and they are the Rockies off to the worst fifty game start in the history of professional baseball and the mighty New York Yankees came into Coors Field on a random Friday night in May last night, and how about that. The Yankees go down and Aaron Judge hit a home run and the Yankees still lose. That's the ninth win of the year for the Rockies. We're on the holiday weekend. Normally, this big holiday weekend, Monday is always the day where you're supposed to look at the baseball standings, and that's like the first major point in the baseball season where you're like, are you good, are you bad? Are you a contender? Are you a pretender? Like all that stuff, and you know, it's just one random, random day. There was some weird stuff though, like the Red Sox we're actually trailing after five innings to the Orioles and ended up winning nineteen to five in their game at Filway. So there was some some wacky stuff that took place. And on this pod, as we hang out together, we're just you know, kind of see what's going on in the world and whatnot. We have. Later on, we'll have the very popular phrase of the week, the phrase of the week that'll be coming up a little bit later tomorrow. We've got the mail bag, don't I don't forget though I wanted to mention this. We are less than a week away from all Card. The first ever Canadian Mallard Meet and Greed will be coming up this Thursday, Thursday, Thursday Thursday. And if you have somehow been in the dark on this, you have not been paying attention. Bad job by you. But we're going to be hanging out together on Thursday night. I'm very excited to meet Nico, who's the hostess with the Moses for this, putting this whole thing together. But we've got the Malord Meet and greet. We're coming up this Thursday. Were taking place on the twenty ninth of May at Courtside on Maine from seven to ten, maybe even earlier. It depends on my flight where I'm flying, and we're all flying in that day. Lorrain is going to be there and Cooper Loop and I'll be flying in and my flight's a little bit later than their flights, so we will see.
Speaker 3: Well everything they have time to do the weed before you get there.
Speaker 1: You can have a wonderful time, have a wonderful time. So we're gonna be the seven to ten o'clock. Coop claims he's gonna leave early. Coop says he'll take up I plan on staying if there's people there, I plan on staying till till ten o'clock. So Malard meat Greek Thursday, if you're obviously in British Columbia, if you're within reasonable driving distance. I've gotten some RSVPs from Washington, Idaho. We'll see these people actually show up. You don't need a RSVP. This is not like you don't need an invitation for this thing, but we'd love to meet you. It's gonna be a lot of fun. And the other event we were supposed to have, which is that Saturday a week from today, got canceled because the Vancouver white Caps there's some some weird thing they're playing in Mexico this weekend or this coming weekend, I guess, And so there's no game in Vancouver. So we have nothing else planned at this point. It's getting late in the game, so if anything else happens, we will we will let you know. We will let you know what's going on with that. Anyway, Later on we will discuss more from the science world, because we haven't done much science.
Speaker 3: Oh, we haven't done scientifical in a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we've not done that in a while.
Speaker 3: Also, a pickleball fight that has gone viral and I actually texted the clip to you. So as we get through this plot, I'd like you to take a look at this hilarious video and before the show is over, I'll let everybody know where they can go look at it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you old pick a ball. I saw. The Belichick story took another turn yesterday as Jordaan Hudson sent out a message calling Pablo Torres reporting defamatory, but then she deleted the post. I'm a little confused by that, Like you can't really delete anything on social media. It's once it's o And.
Speaker 3: I'm so sick of that couple. They're the new Travis Kelcey Taylor Swift to me because every single date. Huh dude, there's a thing about Jordan every day.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, I hey, listen every day because People magazine. It's a People magazine story. It's like tabloids. Yes, it's getting it's getting traction.
Speaker 3: The name of his boat one ring plus eight or whatever.
Speaker 1: Which is the ultimate like the Bill Belichick's the new definition of whipped. If like you're putting a what a cheerleading championship ring from a Division five school in Maine up against the Super Bowls and all that. I mean, my god, uh, I just I just like when people de lead stuff on social media thinking well, no one else see that, and then it's like in on all the websites they have the screenshot, like People Magazine and all that, and so it's just I get it. I get a kick out of that. It does seem like also, Aaron Rodgers, I saw this yesterday. Aaron Rodgers. I guess is he's still playing this weird game. But he heina confirmed indirectly that he's going to play for the Steelers, although he did it in your passive aggressive way that he often does. Rogers was speaking at some event in Austin. He's been in Austin. He was on the Rogan podcast. I don't know who listens to that, but he's He was hanging out at a public event in Austin and some kid, always the kids, some kid asked if there was any chance that he could sign with the Chicago Bears, which is completely reasonable. The Bears went out and got Caleb Williams. That's completely reasonable. That they would they would add they would add Aaron Rodgers after that anyway, Rogers, he said, no, he told the kid, but I believe there's a team that might play in Chicago this year, a road trip. He says. I love Chicago, though, he said, way more than they love me. Great relationship, all that stuff. So immediately we all went to the Steelers schedule and ding Ning Ning ning Ning. If you look at the steel schedule, they are on the road against the Bears in week twelve, November twenty third. So wow. Now Rogers claimed this week that the reason he has not signed is because he's got sick people in his world. They have like the cancer and all that stuff. And I still believe my conspiracy that a big part of this is he got killed, absolutely killed last year when he was with the Jets, and he went to Egypt and missed some practice. And so I figure, like, if he doesn't sign with the Steelers, nobody can say, hey, you're bad job by you for missing this or missing that. So as long as he waits, we're almost into June. Though this is the last our last Saturday, right, I was, I guess our second to last set. Wait, when is June first? Is it next Saturday? I don't even know his next weekend?
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, I'm looking on my calendar right now. Yeah, next Saturday is the thirty first.
Speaker 1: Okay, So next Sunday? Okay. So we're heading into the last the last week in the month of May and then training camps in July. Mid July uses when training camp starts, so we're really not that far. We're far off. What's the cutoff date? June fifteenth or something like that for the Steelers with Aaron Rodgers, we will find out. We have enjoyed the spit the phrase of the week, and why don't we get to this story about the brew haha involving the pickle right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Ben, click on that. Our homie, Clay Travis switeted this out yesterday.
Speaker 1: All right, Alumni Association Clay Travis.
Speaker 3: Yeah at Clay Travis. He says, I can't stop watching this. Leading with the high kick was bold, but bro, the running punch is the real star here. And his co host on The Limbaugh Show, Buck Sexton, has this video of these guys who were fighting during a pickleball game. After watching this video, I feel like Mike Tyson sexist to say, kicking like little girls sexist. But they look like they didn't even horse around with their siblings. I mean, one guy, you'll see he throws a running punch and misses and falls flat on his face and rolls on his belly. The other guy does this weird kind of kick where, man, you need to see this video. It's hilarious. I watched it, but the one probably ten times in a row.
Speaker 1: The guy with the green kind of the green shirt. There he's holding. There, he's holding the racket he did hit. He swung once with the racket. The guy in the blue shirt should have kept his racket. You don't drop your weapon.
Speaker 3: When you're going to I was gonna say, this is why the NFL doesn't let you take your helmet off.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, well we had that. We what was his name for, Miles Garrett? Remember he went forward try to throw the help Yeah yeah, back.
Speaker 3: In the Remember famously was it Lyle Alzado who used his helmet as a weapon back in the day. Got the matter. The only male dominance in this video, whatsoever, is the guy swinging his racket to hit the other guy the blue The guy in the blue shirt on the ground. This is the kind of wimpy fight you would expect from pickleball players.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was it. I wonder what they were fighting about that, Like, what what do you think the fight origin was? Was it a bet? Did they have a bet? Did somebody violate one of these sacred rules of pickleball? No?
Speaker 3: I bet you it was something really silly, like a ball being in or out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've never played pickaball. Have you attempted pick a ball? I guess I'm old enough to play pickle ball. I'm of the age I should want to be into pickleball. Now I don't want to be into pickle ball. I have no interest in pickleball. I'm annoyed when I go by the park and see people playing pickleball. It's it's in where I live. There's some tennis courts and one of them has been turned into a pickleball court. So the whole thing annoying for me. But have you attempted the pickle ball to any of you gone out with the wife and had a nice night of pickleball?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have a tennis court that's not too far. A few years ago, when it first was like the thing to try out took our kids up there and they had their pickleball rackets and a few pickleballs, and we tried it out. It's just like ghetto tennis. There you go.
Speaker 1: What happened? Remember a couple of years ago there were stories about athletes buying pickleball teams. It was gonna be.
Speaker 3: Well that worked out? Well?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, like whatever happened. Like they were all these stories that so and so is buying a pickle ball team, and these are gonna be like the next big thing is pickleball? Did I miss that? Is it already over? I feel like it's over.
Speaker 3: This video is so embarrassing.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, all right, moving on from that, some hot pickleball. I know, Alf the alien opiners excide. He loves pickles, so I'm sure he's very very excited. We're doing hot Pickel talk on the radio, all right. The weekend, you know, the Life and Times of Malor and Danny g Radio. And this past weekend did not leave the house other than to go to dinner with a with a friend of mine who like a late birthday dinner type thing. But my buddy, he was upset because he said, you go here where you want for dinner. Now, we don't eat a lot. We don't eat out a lot these days. Been cooking a lot. Like enjoy cooking, so would rather just eat at home. It's cheaper, you can make whatever you want, and what's around in the kitchen. So my buddies like, go anywhere we want to. So this this Italian place that I like, and I'm a big fan of the fetichini alfredo, and so I was say, I want to go. This Italian place is really good, and he's like, no, that's you should go to a steakhouse. And he was Danny. The guy was busting my balls, saying that I made a poor decision because he was going to buy dinner and I should have gone to a steakhouse. But I wanted Italian. I didn't want a steak. And if I wanted a steak, I could have gotten a steak at the you know, the Italian restaurant had steak. But I didn't want steak. I wanted the fetichini alfredo. That's what I want. I cooked mine the proper way, butterfly cut, and then I cook it well done. That me and Rob Parker enjoy our steak the same way. And there's something. It's not a waste. The customer is always right. That's the proper way to enjoy a steak. But the point is, I didn't want a steak. I wanted pasta. And why would you invite me to a birthday dinner and then bust my balls because I didn't pick the right restaurant. You know what I believe it is. I think he wanted steak and he assumed, since it's a birthday meal, that he would we would go to a steakhouse, and that I screwed up his plans because I ended up choosing an Italian restaurant. But he really wanted a steak. So it's really more about him, not about me. That's my theory. It's my my gambling buddy Hunter who give me a hard time. It's ridiculous, absolutely pathetic.
Speaker 3: What did he order off the menu that uh he ordered?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I had the fetichin the alfredo with the UH, and then I had I had the it is where I had a combo chicken parm fetichi in the alfredo, So I had the chicken from the chicken parm and then I had the fetichine alfredo. He had. It was some kind of meat dish, but it wasn't a steak. I forget, and then we had.
Speaker 3: The you don't even know. So this sounds like it went back to all about being about you.
Speaker 1: Well I didn't. I don't care what other people eat. I don't judge. See, this is the problem. And there's a lot of people that judge, Like you know, some people and I'm not gonna name names here, but sometimes like if I ordered a steak a certain way, there's some people that are criticized the way I order a steak, and I'm like, well, why would anyone do that because it's my steak. They're not eating the steak. It's my steak. It's what I want, you know what. You would give me a hard touch of well, you know, ruin a steak well done, And I'm like, no, no, no, I just I don't worry about what you eat. You can go. I don't care. If my friend eats dog food, I don't care. I'm not eating it. I'm not going to take anything off his plate. He can have the freaking dog food. Knock yourself out, you know, chow chow pow wow. I don't care. I'm just saying I'm just I'm putting that out now. One thing I did make last weekend, which is rare. I think I've bet it one other time and it is truly without a doubt. And I can say this from the bottom of my heart as having eaten it last week. Enjoy the spit. Enjoy the spit. The culinary journey continues and we return to a favorite on the whole menu which we've only made one other time, some delicious chicken shwarma. Very exciting and you've not had I think has everyone had chicken shwarma at this point?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Should we do? We need to tell people what that is. I feel like people should know what that is. But it's very popular in the Middle East, right It's like a street food in places like Turkey and Israel and Iraq and place like that, and anyway, it's not that hard to make. It just takes a long time. You get to get a spit. My wife got one on like the Amazon, and so we got that. The traditionally it's you know, it's just you spice the meat and you stack it, and the key part is to cut it the right way. You gotta cut it thin cut slice shaved off meat and you just mix together a bunch of garlic and spices and a bunch of lemon and some olive oil. And it takes a couple hours to make in a traditional oven. And the good thing is there's always a lot of extra. And I don't normally eat leftover as Danny, as you know, I'm not a leftover guy. I don't believe in leftovers. However, this is the exception of the rule.
Speaker 3: This in pizza, I will eat because the flavor settles in on this.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really outstanding. So that's good. You know, probably make more of it at some point this weekend, so we'll we'll see what happens with that. But that was the big culinary event of the weekend last weekend. Very exciting. And yeah, I'm also proud of the magic box that I have that I'm able to watch all these games with on the TV. I've told you about the magic box. You've chosen, You've chosen to avoid the magic box. But I've gotten so much use out of the magic box, Danny, that the magic box I had, I had to change the batteries on the remote control because the magic box has been getting a extreme workout. My right hand has been getting a workout flipping channels on the magic box, which is a good sign. That means that the magic box is being used the proper amount. In fact, I'm gonna have to eat the Costco later today to buy more batteries for the magic box. I am such a radio loser. Put that in your pipe and smoke. The phrase of the week time now for the phrase all the week. So the phrase of the week this week is something everyone in radio dreads, silence. Silence is gold Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah that I still have nightmares about dead air on the network.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with you. We get dead air on the network feed every hour for ten seconds before the top of the hour, there's dead air. And if I'm in the studio sitting there, I immediately like, what is going on? Why is there nothing there? And I know exactly when the dead air is going to come. But anyway, the phrase silence is golden is a proverb, and obviously it means, you know, keep quiet. That can be a good thing, that's valuable. Quiet is valuable, it is good, and that speaking occasionally in certain situations will cause more more harm right unnecessarily. And I was surprised when I found out the phrase silence is golden. It goes back to ancient times FN. Why the people that study this kind of stuff say that ancient Egyptians walk like good Egyptian Ancient Egyptians they looked at the text as early as four thousand years ago and they determined that this phrase was used in ancient times. They went back to in Egypt, one of the great philosophers of the time said that silence is more profitable than abundance of speech. There was a medieval proverb speech is silver, but silence is golden was another version of this that has been twisted around now. In the earliest English use of the exact phrase silence is golden someone named Thomas Carlisle in eighteen thirty one, so that's a couple hundred years ago, and he used that as a wise old saying. So if it's a wise old saying in eighteen thirty one, then it's a really wise old, old old saying at this point. And so silence is golden. That goes all the way back to ancient times and the Egyptians medieval time passed through. There's been different versions in Egyptian, Arabic, European and whatnot. And the modern form. The modern form going back to the nineteenth century, and it's alive and well. The phrase of the week, silence is golden four thousand years ago. That a while four thousand year ago, raise and we are still using it today, which is, yeah.
Speaker 3: It ain't golden. If you cause silence on six hundred affiliates.
Speaker 1: Uh well, you might get a call. You might might get a phone. Although I have noticed that there's any kind of glitches with the Gremlins. What they do is they'll just put music on and so you'll just get some some nice music there, and it's the it's the way to go. Absolutely. Uh well, I was gonna do some science stuff, but I think we're think I think we're okay, Dan, I think we're you know, maybe do tomorrow.
Speaker 3: We could start before the mail bag tomorrow. We can do some scientifical.
Speaker 1: All right, very good. We'll have a wonderful rest of your Saturday. I'd say enjoy the basketball.
Speaker 3: But I you know, Danny, I what it is in Minnesota. So don't you think the Tea Wolves will look a little bit different.
Speaker 1: It's a bad matchup. They just don't match up well with Oklahoma City. They just this should be a sweep. It's the NBA, so it will likely not be a sweep.
Speaker 3: But it's don't say that I don't want to sweep in the semi finals. We are.
Speaker 1: We're dangerously close, Danny, to the Indiana Pacers and the Oklahoma City Thunder in the final that we'll watch no matter what because we're sporty people. But holy crap, they are not going to get any average people, any casuals are not going to be watching the NBA finals, which ain't my problem. It's not your problem. We don't work for the NBA. That's an NBA problem. That's not our problem. Okay, but holy canoli, man, we are that close. Just a couple more wins by the Thunder and the Pacers after that game last night, and it is on like Nightmere City. All right, we'll get out having a wonderful day. We'll talk to you tomorrow with a mailbag later.
Speaker 3: Excavator, my flation