Speaker 1: All Zone Media.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to Better Offline. I'm your host ed Zetron. Also on April twenty fifth, twenty twenty four, Geomedia, the private equity project best known for running websites like Deadspin into the Ground, announced that it was selling satirical news newspaper and website The Onion to a company called Global Tetrahedron. Though you knew it at the time, Global Tetrahedron was an entity run by former NBC News This Information reporter Ben Collins, funded by billionaire Jeff Lawson, best known for founding Twilio. As a note, global Tetrahedron is a reference to the company of the same name from The Onion's anthology book Our Dumb Century. In one of the first bits of good news I've had to share on this show, The Onion is now on by somebody who has not only done a job in journalism, written things, researched things, and worked in a news organization that didn't burned to the goddamn ground. He also cares about the future of the newspaper, best known for headlines like study reveals babies as stupid, jurisprudence, fetishists get off on technicality and Mark Zuckerberg worried Facebook listening to him after being pushed shirt that says I just laid off ten thousand employees. Today, it's my immense pleasure to be joined by the Onion's new CEO, Ben Collins. Okay, so how did this deal to buy the Onion actually come together?
Speaker 3: Okay? So I was it was January. I just quit my job right for Christmas, and I was writing a book about like some of the biggest pieces of shit on the planet Earth, right, you know, the Elon Musks and the Jim Jordan's of the world. And I was like super depressed, and I was like I was platting through it, but it wasn't.
Speaker 2: Having fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, I have no idea. I don't even know if it was good. I think it probably was all right, but like the process was horrible. And I read an ad week that the Onion was aggressively for sale, and I had known, and I remembered that Elon Musk had once tried to buy the Onion, right he wound up poaching a bunch of staff and started this thing called Thud, which never really launched. He from what I've heard from some lore in the office, by the way, is that they after about a year. He didn't think anything that these former Onion writers wrote was funny, and this was like a peak era of the Onion. So he just showed them away off campus, off the Tesla campus where he had originally bought them for the SpaceX campus and into this like weird remote area and then it just died a like a and it died the death of like a guy dying in the desert in a video game. That's what happened. So I was worried that he was gonna try to snap it up or like the AI all the people who buy these like websites and turn them into like weird zombie AI farms.
Speaker 2: I thought that was Yes, that seems pretty likely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I really, I really did not want that to happen. Like the Onion was a very important part of my life grown up and kind of remains that way. And it's like the last, the last American news institution that has been completely unsullied, I would.
Speaker 2: Say, and also a rare good hit rate for decades. There's not really been a.
Speaker 3: Slump, Yeah, exactly, even in the last year when all these other news organizations are really fumbling the bag. It's like tripping over themselves. They weren't, you know, they were very clear about AI and Gaza and all these other things that people fell into, like some really weird rhetorical traps for themselves that they are now having a hard time getting out of the Onion and didn't do that. Like one of their headlines from last year was a guy who sucks at being a person sees he's huge potential in AI, which is just fucking right. It's just really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyways, Yeah, so I I'd read in adweek that it was very for sale and I put on Blue Sky. I said, uh, does anybody want to save the Onion? I have like six hundred dollars or something like that, right, And uh, my friend Leela Wilson, who lives in Chicago, was like, the Onion's like a Chicago institution. Like if this thing goes away, it's like a really bad thing. Like who do we call to make sure somebody decent ends up with this thing? So I was like, I don't know, let me just make some calls and I'll see what it costs, I guess, or see what it is, see what's going on with it, and I just kept making phone calls. I just kept going. I just kept like being like, how would I like if we were to buy this, Like, how would we make money? How do they make money? Now? Do they make money? Now? What's going on with this thing?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: And a couple of weeks later, we were just in the thick of it, Like eventually we had we had collected enough people who knew a rich guy or you know, to get in the equation. And then there was you know, there was this guy named Jeff Lawson who had just left Twilio just like a company, and he kind of felt the same way about it that we did. And we had you know, we just kind of like constantly were in assurance to each other that neither of us was going to mess this up, that we're all going to like leave the processes be at the onion, that it makes it great. And then it just happened, like, I you know, within I think like eight weeks, it went from like a hilarious joke in my house, like I was telling my girlfriend, I was like I'm gonna buy the onion, hah whatever, and then in like two weeks it was like I think I'm gonna actually do this. I think this might actually happen, and then in eight weeks it was pretty much done. Like we were that we were fighting off some last second bitterers who were particularly grulish, but.
Speaker 2: Like any clarity on who those might be.
Speaker 3: They're in the news. Oh okay, yeah, it's you know.
Speaker 2: But so perhaps a very direct question is, so, Jeff Lawson, he's a billionaire, ran Twilio, quite rich. How are you going to avoid what has happened with a lot of tech investor projects, because for the most part, they've been pretty good, but generally when they start, like Jeff Bezos has not really backed the Washington Post, he doesn't seem to feed it more money, and the same kind of like Benioff buying time and Mark Benioff's CEO of Salesforce brought time a few years ago, and he again does not seem to have like he doesn't seem to have messed with it, but he also doesn't seem to have helped it. What's the plan with Jeff Lawson.
Speaker 3: Well, we're gonna do off a shair and I'm going to make sure that the staff, if it does well, they get money for us. Like it's just straight up what it is. You know, he used this as a public like a public interest thing, just as we do that. It's an American institution, and if it dies, it sucks. Like it's bad for everybody. Need we need somebody to just aggressively need all bad people. And like this is not his money making enterprise. I think he already did that, but like it is to Yeah, the goal of the goal of that is to make an environment where writers can make money for doing good writing. Like it's just a weird idea that we had.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So with that in mind, what's the actual plan to make money? How does it make money now? And what's the plan for the future.
Speaker 3: Okay, cool, I actually want to talk to you about this because this like fits with how we talk about stuff you and I like when we text abouts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's important.
Speaker 3: So the way the Onion used to make money under geomedia is basically one way. It's programmatic advertising. So programmatic advertising is this horrible thing that sort of ate the Internet and sort of ate our politics in the world. It's all those like you know, those like one weird trick ads and.
Speaker 2: Yes, they're currently all over the bottom of the page.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when people think of in shitification. This is probably what they're thinking about right right, and that's how they make money right now. And I now on the other side of this, I get it right. If you were to, you can run a business like this where it's really low margins and you know, you have a small staff, and on top of that, basically you just keep running websites where that's if you're updating it a little bit, you'll remain at the top of Google or whatever. And then you get enough of these impressions so that these horrible ads just keep, you know, showing up literally tenfolds sometimes like one hundredsfold.
Speaker 2: Underneath, and they get paid by the impression rather than the click.
Speaker 3: Through, right exactly. So like it's it's like it would be like if if every car that drove by a billboard there was a you got paid for an eyeball.
Speaker 2: Right, every thousand cars.
Speaker 3: Right exactly, And then you get paid even more obviously if somebody clicks on that. So the incentive structure is bad to begin with, but then the incentive structure from the person selling the thing on your website is even worse. So it's just like, can I tell you my favorite Programmac? Advertising. Please do Larry Bird Wife ad one.
Speaker 2: Second Larrybirdwife ad dot com. Oh, yes, I know the one we're gonna I'll put a link to it in the episode notes.
Speaker 3: Okay, I do want to Can I read it to you?
Speaker 2: Please? Don't? Please read it to me.
Speaker 3: It is meet Larry Bird's Repulsive Wife.
Speaker 2: Which is not an onion headline, right, that's an actual programmatic clickbait advertising.
Speaker 3: You click on it, that's exactly what says it is. It's them making fun of how this woman looks. And she's not repulsive, by the way, but that's just.
Speaker 2: One of the most things, and that's an automatic is that it's I guess it was before AI generation that came out, So there was a guy who was like, you know who, you know, I'm gonna take the boots to today that reports ugly wife. I'm gonna I'm gonna take it down a few pegs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the twenty twenties, you know what it's time for.
Speaker 2: All the strame busted was just Jesus. But that's the thing when you get websites and you can even see it on big ones like NBC. I have mentioned this before. These programmatic ads are everywhere like outbring things. There's on CNN as well, so you'll get like international news, international news politics, and then the thing about how you're hearing age should be better and you can buy them from a special website that's full of spyware, and it's just crazy. And this is most of the media. But what do you what are you gonna do with the onion though?
Speaker 3: Because yeah, and I don't want to say, by the way that design language of that sort of thing that sort of made itiness and and how how they even physically look. You see places like The New York Times sort of copy that because people are used to that, the design language of trumbox ads. They're called chum boxes. Yeah, and it just makes everything worse. Our politics sort of sound like that now. The way people talk sort of sound like meat Larry Bird's repulsive wife. Like that's just sort of how things. That's how it feels like American life, right, And I it can't be good. It just can't be good. So how are we gonna make money? Great question in a diverse way that is not that like there there's a several part strategy that we have. First of all, we're gonna I don't want to like blow our load here a little bit, but we're gonna have a membership that maybe brings back the newspaper. Yeah, it's cool and we're excited about it. We're going to sell direct ads, so like ads that want to like companies want to directly deal with us, We're going to do that. We're not going to be like a fifth party vendor to some to scaringple on the internet. Companies, I want to deal with this. We want to deal with them too. And like, uh, that's another thing. There's a thing called we're basically we're going to write some ad copy where we are also aware that there's there hasn't been a funny super Bowl commercial in like fucking fifteen years, so like we do want to be in that business too. And uh so.
Speaker 2: Wait, would you be making super Bowl commercials for other people?
Speaker 3: Well, we'll be making ads for other people. Yeah, right, And and there's several different ways we can go with video that we're currently trying to figure out the very best one. But all of those ways sort of you know, they bring in cash, and then there's, uh, there's just a lot of ways to do this. And we're going to do a little bit of everything. But like I would say, like the number one way you can do it, it's like subscribe to us when we launch our membership product. But we just want to be really good, So we want the staff to own it and be you know, uh, and we want we want to hear more feedback of what people want in a membership from us in the newspaper. So that's where we're that's we're just taking our.
Speaker 2: Time with that. So perhaps this is one you can't necessarily speak to yet. But how much time do you have? How has Lawson been very clear that this will take time, because that feels like the biggest failure of every digital failed digital media product that I've seen the last few years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I mean he's patient with the idea that this does take time. You get to build out a thing that you can't in what it's been six weeks or something. You can't just like completely flip around an entire business, and like we have to get out of contracts, we have to get out of whole thing. Like there's a bunch of stuff that we have to do to get out of that previous business.
Speaker 2: That also you're actually unbuckling parts of the Geomedia the Hydra.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, like you know, we're in their old building where there's just a lot of stuff that you have to do. We had to set up a whole you know, to set up a whole business with health insurance and all the other stuff that you would do when you buy a business, and and a lot of it is unlearning stuff, right where part of part of the previous business. Right, If you are doing programmatic advertising as your primary business, you're doing slide shows all day. You are telling people, you're driving people to a slide show and telling them to click the button over and over again to get a new, freshly set life, freshly created set of ads. Right. And we have to get this, you know, it's demoralizing to the staff. We have to get them in the mindset that like maybe the best joke is a TikTok video, Maybe the best joke is is a whole newspaper. Maybe it's a physical object, Like how do we actually satirize our current times right now and not just you know, the internet from ten fifteen years ago. Getting that mindset with the writer's room is important, And until six weeks ago, they didn't. They had no idea who was going to take over this place, or if anybody who was going to take over, it would keep them on board. So I think we're, you know, part of us just winning their trust and we're well on our way.
Speaker 2: That's cool, And you mentioned kind of expanding the media side as it's weird. Over the years, the Onion went from having probably some of the freshest media content to being mostly written. There was a time when you had, like, I don't know any listeners who remember this, don't I have used for this, but Get Out of My Face was one of the best comedy products of the last decades. It was a sports show much like Around the Horn, except both hosts just completely hated each other and most of the sport. But then it went away and it felt like The Onion went very writing base, which is fine, it's good stuff, but so you're going to expand that then, right exactly.
Speaker 3: They Get Out of My Face day a segment where I think it was called who should we assassinate? And they would just pick a sportsfan athlete to assassinate.
Speaker 2: I just remember one where it was just him screaming about how Pennsylvania is a giant. It's a giant abandoned parking lot and he couldn't wait to get home and shave his entire body. Anyways, multimedia now, so you're going to start expanding into video, I hope Again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's important to us because there's two reasons for that. First of all, the reason it was it became a text heavy thing is because of the business of programmat advertising. There's no they were just feeding that beast straight up. So we don't want to get out of that and do bigger things. Second of all, we've accidentally developed this massive fan base among the kids because in the last year, if you watched CNN or MSNBC, or if you read the New York Times or something and you're twenty two years old, you were just getting fucking yelled at by old people like that was it? That's just what was that kind of a Yeah, it was like your feelings aren't valid and literally get off my lawn. That's what they were saying to that, right, that was right. That's been the last year of coverage. And we weren't like that, like we you know, we've we've said, first of all, your feelings are valid, you also may be right, and also, you know, there are a lot of parallels to previous parts in history where the onion also stood up when it was unpopular. For example, like during the Iraq War, they stood up all the time. You know, they back peaked Dixie Chicks era. They were they had the same political but they were thankfully the end was a little bit funnier, so they got away with it right. And that sort of mirrored a lot of the Gaza stuff over the last year or two where they stood up early on. Can I read you a headline? The headline is the Onion stands with Israel because it seems like you get in less trouble for that.
Speaker 2: That's is the most cutting media criticism you're rating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and like and and by the way, with trans coverage.
Speaker 2: Ahead with guns as well.
Speaker 3: But it was a it is journalism's sacred duty to endanger the live of as many trans people as possible. This was like in the middle of the New York Times every day just being like trans kids don't deserve to be alive. Every single day when we do an op ed, that.
Speaker 2: Says and as on the side, listeners, this is a pro trans podcast. If you are anti trans, delete this podcast go fuck yourself anyway, Just moving on.
Speaker 3: No, I'm in the Yeah, obviously the mass shooting stuff where you know this happens to Yeah, there's no way to prevent this. As only nation where this regularly happens, that is an iconic thing that we obviously repost every time there's a major mass shooting, which is like every day, and uh like there is nobody else that does this, and that's why we wanted this now. It's because when all these other places sort of retreated back into being really scared to to speak truth to power, they're actually go they were like, no, fuck this, We're just gonna keep making jokes and we're going to keep standing on the side of people who are quite literally sometimes getting murdered for no reason.
Speaker 2: Right And it's it's interesting, it's you are tangibly not necessarily, it's not even time the true it's just you're not making any You're more making statements of comedic effect. But it seems to be more bombed and fresh and focused criticism than actual journalism right now. Why do you think so many journalists are pulling their punches? And I mean everywhere tech, politics, business, is it access or is it something else?
Speaker 3: I think in a lot of cases, it's just access or pleasing their bosses who really care about access. I think a lot of these places with the Trump stuff, they decided the bosses decided the number one priorities that you remain on the plane, that the campaign will keep talking to you, that they will that you're not going to piss them off enough, that we're not going to be blackball or whatever, because the the fifty to fifty journalism is to important. I think that's mostly it. And I also think, like, I don't think they understand that. I think so many times these people think that they are the bastions of like purity and equality, and like one side is this and this that the other side is this, and they cannot be any truth. What they're doing is actually really extraordinary, and not in a good way. It's extraordinary in the sense that this didn't actually happen this way previously. They have been captured. They've been captured in a political moment where they they where one side has totally issued the concept of the truth. It didn't used to work this way. People used to say that if it was raining outside, they used to say it was raining outside. Now it's right at these networks, whether it's tech or it's politics.
Speaker 2: Or anything Walter related weather of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. And also you know one one side of the government insists it is not raining, right, and that's like that that is that's it's new, like that's a new kind of reportage in the sense that it sucks Previously that didn't happen. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's interesting. It's almost like one side right wing side is very aggressively just objective, just they don't give a shit, like they can do do and say what they want. And then you get towards the centrictye. And I hate these terms because I feel like it's very hard to actually describe what's going on with them but the center left. But let's be honest, it's more center than anything. They seem to perceive objectivity, sorry subjectivity or sorry objectivity Jesus Christ. That's where I speak English as something that requires you to humor every argument, that every position is actually fair. Also, I don't think objectivity exists. And it's very bizarre to watch this. This is something I find with tech as well, very frustrating. But it's interesting that I think that the onion is actually doing some of the best journalism, but through the most bizarre path. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's like there's this kid on TikTok It was like ninety thousand views and she's just like, I'm I'm she said in a very gen Z way. She's like, I say this with my whole chest, like the Onion has had better, has had better coverage over the last month and on Israel and Gaza than New York Times, the Washington Post, and like she reads through it and you couldn't you can't argue with it, like they just it's just the truth. I completely I completely agree with you on this, man, Like there is like getting there. There is a kind of thing that's going on where journalism is now insistent on you just getting punched in the face all day by fascists. Yeah, okay, it's fine. I don't think that's what they punch us. Yeah, exactly, it's very it's very important to find out why they punched us. While like the actual concept of what's going on is completely different. I was on like a you know, doing an interview a couple of days ago, and there was this whole I was they were having this whole conversation that ranged in so many different ways about dissing information and like a guy a story A Guy wrote in Harper's about the concept of disinformation and how that is affected by Jim Jordan, But it's also affected by the fact that Katie Kuric gave a speech about something. I was like, what the fuck are you talking about?
Speaker 2: What is?
Speaker 3: Who gives it a shit? Like if you the beauty of this place, beauty the onion is it? Like you can just cut right through the middle of that, Like these people can be having this stupid ass conversation on each side of it and you can just be like, Nope, just sliding on through. And that that, to me, is that's valuable. And uh, that's that to me is good reportage. That is just ignoring the fucking noise and trying to get to the center of what's actually going on.
Speaker 2: Do you consider it a comedy outlet or a journalism outlet?
Speaker 3: I mean it's both. I mean Our Bread and Butters is stupid jokes like our I'm asked, Like I.
Speaker 2: Think about a gorilla mother making the gorilla slouch. That's one of my favorite recent one.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, exactly like it, like yelling at her child.
Speaker 2: For a night to slouch.
Speaker 3: More like, for example, I was reading a really old issue out here our entire archives, and I was just plowing through it, and there was a very serious Iraq war issue where they were talking about you know, Georgia Bbush's timeline to leave or whatever. Uh, and it was everything was very heavy. But on the top left, the very first story you see on there, it's a Nibisco discontinues wheat thics.
Speaker 2: That's that's great. That's the thing there's you really get just like people having a bit of fun with that. Anymore, it feels like journalism and media in general has got so goddamn serious. I mean, that's the time, but also serious in a way that doesn't seem to have the appropriate seriousness for like police brutality, fascism, but it's just serious about everything else.
Speaker 3: You're That's I think that's why like the working like there're a substantial swath of the working class in America listens to Joe Rogan other than the fact that's like very hypnotic and like it's something on in the background, is because even they think they're getting the news, which is wrong, right, I do think that, But in between that it's him like showing you know, videos of gorillas and like people punching each other in the face, and you know there is like there is a mild like through line of joy that goes on there that cannot happen on the regular news. It just doesn't. It doesn't happen, and like like there was there used to be some of that in like the Today Show if people still watch that, I really know, but like there's a but that's very forced fun, like fake fun. You can't you can't see fun to fascism, Like you can't see the like the concept of making dick jokes of fascism because if you do, it's just gonna win. It's just like they're just gonna get every teenager in America, even if they're sitting around being like these ideas are fucking stupid, Like this doesn't make any sense, Like this is horrible the way we're treating people as bad. But like you have to have some sense of humor about stuff or it's, uh, what's the point of being live?
Speaker 2: Also feels like the very dry objective standard of CNN, NBC. NBC's done more opinion stuff, which I appreciate, but even then there's only a little bit of it of the larger media space just feels very serious. And then there's the right wing psychost But if you look at what the right wing's doing, it is Fox and Friends is a complete joke. It's an insane show. I'm sure if you watch it for more than an hour it begins to melt your brain. But it's fun in a horrifying way, like it's trying to make the fascists watching. Okay, I'm sure there are some non fascist who watch Fox News. I'm sure there's one of them anyway, But nevertheless, it's dorky, it's weird, and then everything else outside of the fascis sphere is just dry, dry as a b So no wonder people are going to the Joe Rogans of the world, because it's not like they can open a newspaper or magazine these days. In the magazine and the newspaper actually speaks directly to them. It doesn't feel like at times it's even written as anything else other than a log of what happened. And it's so hard for modern journalism to escape that. I just I don't know, I worry, but also I guess it benefits me that a lot of journalism is going to move opinion side. And that's assuming that Trump doesn't get in and just shut down journalism in general. But that's another problem.
Speaker 3: Right, No, I mean I think that like I, like I said, with the kids, I don't think they're getting traditional news. I think they use traditional news as like in the way that we used to send people a PDF to research or something. Right, That's how they use it. They're like, I swear to God, this is real. Just click on this thing, I can prove it. That's how they use it as like I swear this is proof. But they don't like read it or ingest it every day, and they really don't sit down and watch television news because again, why would they. They're just being excoriated for being alive. And that's like it's not useful. I think that there is. I think both parties are abandoning the premise that there should be joy in your life from various different angles right, right, like the American right, the Trump right is a very joyless vector. It's like very like you must support this man.
Speaker 2: Or beautiful Lynn, you must aspire to the traditional life.
Speaker 3: I think that's like that's really humorless, right, and I'm not saying like the left has an equivalent, like I hate when people do that, but like there is Like it's just because it's so scary, right having to like it's we're out of making jokes about Donald Trump. We've had it didn't work, Like it's ten years later.
Speaker 2: It just now tell you during the trial them showing him the tweets, everyone else found that really funny. It made me very sad because I don't want people to think that this will happen to them. I don't want them to think that Trump is going to see their tweets. He never will. Wait, please stop, but keep going. Sorry, no, So.
Speaker 3: It is important to have you know, there must be wheat thicks, is what I'm saying. Crazy, what is the point you have to like get you have to get people into this. It's why the New York Times is still doing well because they have wordle just the truth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they and they have some opinion columnist that are readable and then many others that aren't. And it's very strange. That's what I really don't understand. You've got all these esteemed outlets that have become kind of homogeneous. Yeah, Like what is the like the New York Times, Wall Street Wall Street Journal is the more business he won. New York Times has business coverage. Chicago Tribune is in Chicago. There are the occasional people out there at Boston Clobe. They still got here, Arthur Bray doing tech like You've still got some voices, but it's almost like they've trained them of life, like the people with names.
Speaker 3: There was this big like first of all, that all the digital places have died or have been eaten, right, so like BuzzFeed died. They had awesome reportage. Anything that was like human focused, empathy based journalism is basically gone. It went to like nonprofit work. So I want to like the pro publicas of the world or whatever, and those have much longer timelines and their focus isn't really impact. Their focused is like let's get awards, let's get you know, let's get a big, long story that's really comprehensive out there, and then hopefully somebody will err it and syndicate in a good way. So that that's where a lot of that reporting went. In the process, all of the young people either left or were let go from like places like The Times in the Post for probably ideological reasons. I would guess it more had to do with like, I don't want to deal with these sniveling children anymore, and and it left them with Bill Maher disease that like, these places have the same exact kind of get off my long brainworms that that you see riddled in a Netflix comedy special.
Speaker 2: And you know it's bad when like Bill Burr is successfully on the right side of history with Palestine and Bill mask being like, well, you you know it's good. People get exploded and fucking Bill Burr as there explaining to him breathlessly. But the truth is Bill Maher succeeds because these papers fail. He succeeds because they need some sort of melting candle looking guy to make center right. But he'll say left statements. And it's just I wish journalism had more of a voice. I wish all of it did, because the fear of access is one thing, but it's almost.
Speaker 3: It's an ideological statement onto itself, putting access above all, putting uh, you know, the interests of gigantic capital above all. It does in fact merit an entire editorial strategy. I mean, ed, you nailed this with the AI stuff. I saw my own newsroom where you know, people were coming in and saying and this is the only only kind of AI talk you would get on television. They were talking about how I was gonna like ruin the world and all this stuff and other worldbots were gonna take over and the Singularity and all this stuff, and the whole time I was like, no, it's not like it's not like, it's not it's it's rebranded machine learning, like we we know what, we know what's happening, and like accelerate a little bit to like really mimic like LinkedIn posts, which is really cool job, nice job everybody. And it makes a mean power point and does like kind of like interesting things with music. It doesn't it seems to.
Speaker 2: Like while stealing as well.
Speaker 3: When it messes up, it gets interesting. But when it does the prompt that you want it to, it's horrible. Oh yeah, so but but like that's that's the thing is like in these in these newsrooms that like a bunch of people with money came into these places and were like, this is the next thing. You should be scared of it, And that, in hindsight, was just the marketing campaign that all of these newsroom leaders fell for because they were at the Aspen Institute.
Speaker 2: But also it doesn't seem like any of these news organizations are run by people who write or read. That's been my continual problem.
Speaker 3: Like there's when I was an NBC you know, there's like this, there's this thin layer of that I like to call the game of thrones people or at the top of the company at NBC News, and they're constantly jocking for position and fighting for power and stuff. But that's nothing to journalism at all. Like it is considerably closer to like the run up to like an eighth grade dance than it is to anything to do with journalism. It's just a case. And those people, those are the highering and firing people, and they're also they they have a hard time connecting the dots about like both what's important, who's doing the best reporting, how to get the stuff out there, what's really going on in the country because those people are tied up in you know, the conversations those people are having are have nothing to do with like a regular American life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know what, let's stalk Ki how well, First of all, is the onion going to sell it? Like? What is your plan? There? Are you going to make any deals with these companies. I'm curious.
Speaker 3: I mean, like, we you know, our stuff was surfacing in Google searches as answers a couple of weeks ago. Yeah, if you asked it how many rocks you should eat per day, it told you you should eat one small rocket day. Because we did a bit about how there is a headline that said geologists recommend you one one small rocket day. It's like a bit industry doing that weird pr thing they do, And it's in the Google uh developer blog about why they took down that feature is because they couldn't figure fully figure out how they got in there, like they it got aggregated from a it was like a shitification sandwich. It was like it got that story, got aggregated from a fake fracking news website that was really run by the fracking industry, and then that as an answer within within Google. So it was like five problems ago all wrapped up into this thing. But no, obviously, I don't know, We're not gonna play in that game, in part because I feel like it's already kind of dying. But second of all, boy, it would be funny if we did. It's a bit if you're if you're interested as a bit, open a eye, give us a ring. Uh, we would love to pollute your data set. Sounds awesome.
Speaker 2: Well, with that in mind, if they've already stolen the onion, If they have already, would you will there be legal action to protect him.
Speaker 3: I mean we thought about it, man, Like we we really did think about that, because at the end of the day, this stealing our art, stealing our horror. Like one of the ones that because that was not even close to the only onion article.
Speaker 2: It stole in Google one, and that was just for the listeners. That's the Google Search generative experience, popping up onion articles and using them as a source for an answer.
Speaker 3: But like one of the ones was can any white liquid be considered milk? It had like the exact beats of a joke. It was like yes, and here's an example. It was like, uh, one of it was like something it was it was like glue, particularly white water, clam juice. But it was the exact beats of our joke implanted in the answer. I actually don't like landly yeah, and like even if it is, it's still theft, even if it's wrong.
Speaker 2: But that's the thing. It's right. Now, We're in this very strange world where you've got writers like the Atlantic, this just happened. You've got writers who are like, oh yeah, stealing all the journalism is very bad. We don't like it. And then Nicholas Thompson, CEO of The Atlantic, formerly of Wired, who did a very glossy thing on one of the Kushner investments, Oscar Health. Anyway, my agrievmances aside. He did this big announcement and said, hey, open AI is going to train on the Atlantic day, big big day for us. And Damon barrass Over at the Atlantic, God bless him. Immediately had an articles been like this, sugs matched just this, sugs bro. I don't like this one bit. But what do you think of these deals? Are they good for journalism or are they just kind of troll toll bullshit.
Speaker 3: It's bad. It's like there is a massive pollution of the Internet happening to obfuscate good information because I can ne'er do wells benefit from that as a concept. The more narrow the path it is to get good information on the Internet, the only people who benefit from that are rich people. Like if the people have good access to information are rich people. Those rich people get richer from the good information. Like that's once once there is information scarcity, the people who will hoard it are the rich, right right. They have no problem paying for like a like a Bloomberg terminal. They don't care. They'll pay for the information or whatever, won't the costs or whatever, like, they will do that well, whereas everybody else is just like searching around for scraps. They're searching, you know, they're type of yeah, they're like it's red, it's probably yeah, Like that's the thing is, like we're now in a situation where it would it's hard. It's probably harder to get good answers if you have a new pet, if you have a baby, just basics, stuff that regular people go through is being robbed of these people, but from these companies for no reason. Google didn't have to ruin their whole product for this. They're doing it to like satisfy shareholders and to get in on this fad that exists to prop up the idea of progress in the American economy. But it's not progress. It's actually like several steps back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So with that in mind, how do you actually save journalism business wise, what is the thing? I know, just a small question for you, what's the plant? But seriously, though, what do you do now? Because online advertising feels like it's dying. It feels like it's folding upot is it? And how do you how the hell does free journalism even survive?
Speaker 3: Okay, so first of all, we have to do all the things that worked over the last ten years, right instead of just like loading up everything behind this like infinite growth, more and more traffic, competing for what or probably at the end of the day, completely fake eyeballs, right, right, Remember some of the stories that I got, like at the Daily Beast had millions of views, like like a ridiculous amount in a couple hours. And now it kind of feels fake or wrong. It just doesn't feel Yeah.
Speaker 2: It feels a million people didn't see it.
Speaker 3: Right, Like, I don't know exactly what happened there, but this it just doesn't feel right. And what we're gonna do is we're going to take some of those pieces that worked so right now it's working in tradition in media that I like is profitable. So it's like four or four media defector aftermath. These are all like narrow writer co ops that really worked and like this place got decimated to the point where it's really a small place, so we can work off that. Also in the comedy world, there's this thing called dropouts. Do you know what drop out us?
Speaker 2: No, I'm done, okay.
Speaker 3: So it's a lot like that. It used to be called College Humor. It was owned by I A. Barry Dillar. Barry Diller got sick of having it.
Speaker 2: And IC owns most of the dating sites, right.
Speaker 3: Most of the dating sites I think, like Expedia, just like if they owned Daily Beasts. I used to work at ice Se. They owned lots of different stuff. So Barry Diller got sick of having it. It used to run on that old model that we're talking about. They sold it back to the original founders of the company for like, I don't know, a couple a few hundred thousand dollars, and then those people were like, all right, we'll just start fresh, like but what do we actually want this to be? And they made a subscription model of just you know, improv comedy and like some stuff they like to do, like D and D or whatever. It's called Dropout, and it has I think like somewhere like near a million subscribers at six dollars a month, and they just sold out two nights in a row at Massive Square Garden.
Speaker 2: That's wild.
Speaker 3: This is one of their shows. And this this happened. They were sold from Barry Diller in like peak early pandemic, like twenty twenty one or round of that, and that took what, that's what three years or something. They knew how to do it right and they put a lot of work into it. But that's sort of the space that we want to play in as a baseline. And then we're gonna do this other stuff. You know, we're going to do direct ads, we're gonna do all these we're gonna do more traditional media stuff, video stuff. But we want to get into the membership game.
Speaker 2: People.
Speaker 3: If they like us, we will send them cool ship in the mail and also in their email, and they'll pay us a sum of money and then like on top of that, we'll use make TV shows and stuff like. That's that's our that's our goal, and we'll have better merch and we'll just try to serve people directly and hope that this, like you know, this very old timey way of doing it works.
Speaker 4: Like that's that's reage almost yeah, I mean like there's yes, I think I think we can do that. And like if fucking Samsung wants to launch their Galaxy phones.
Speaker 3: Galaxy No.
Speaker 2: Seven, little little Dan nine and drugged for the list.
Speaker 3: For us Dan nine and heads baby Jesus, But yeah, if they want, if they want to launch their exploding phone. What is that joke again?
Speaker 2: It's just really good for the listeners here who loved this stuff. It was Dan nine and a clean comedian whose joke was, Oh, that really blew up. Someone must have plugged in their Samsung Galaxy Note seven classic phone that just started exploding because it's pattery. Anyway, what were we talking about? I don't know.
Speaker 3: But we want to be weirdos and we want to be able to like, we want to be able to h you know, say the things that people are all thinking we can't say. And then when it happens, we want them to, you know, pay us money and we'll send a newspaper in the mill like, but.
Speaker 2: There will still be free content.
Speaker 3: Oh. The whole the site is the Onion is a public service. So we're gonna we're gonna make sure everything's you know, our journalism's free.
Speaker 2: One final question, are you going to start pushing bylines ever? Because the one thing that the Onion doesn't have right now is names and maybe that's good.
Speaker 3: So you know, we've had this. I had this conversation because like it's been uh, it does protect people, but it's also a pain in the ass of like you know, y like a writing job or something. But like the process here is like so beautiful that I don't really want to mess with it. Like that's the number on thing I didn't want to do. I don't I'm never gonna write a headline. I'm never gonna select any I don't want to do that. I'm just like I'm here to make it. So if they want to make a video out of something, they can do it. Or if they want to make up newsaper or something, they can get it. Here's their process. Every day. They have like a couple hundred contributors who are all like a lums. Some of them are like famous people that I can't reveal Joe Biden, Joe Biden, Barack Obama, Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, America's funniest people, all of them, but they all They and our ten staff writers and editors all send completely anonymously headlines into this bucket. They're anonymized in a Google form. They those get winnowed down by whoever. There's a person who wins down the list, who brings it into the megeinting. Then there's like a couple hundred headlines that remain. Those are all those are spoken out loud. If they're funny, and if they're laughed at, they generally they might have a chance. That gets down to eight or ten a day, and then from there they write them up and if they don't really work, then they throw them away. And that's say you get to this, like you know, so you get to the half dozen headlines that you get a day on the onion. Every day, this process happens and then they go back and they're like they figure out who wrote it after all that, and that is like the most egalitarian way anything works in journalism or or writer's rooms or anything at all. And why would have any mess of that. It sucks that there's no bolines involved in that, and maybe there's a way to do that, but like sometimes it's like a huge team effort, and part of the beauty is not knowing who it's from.
Speaker 2: I've read The Onion Infinity twenty years and I'm so happy to see it in the hands of somebody who actually cares, who loves writers and writing and creating interesting things that readers love. It's really frustrating that this is the exception rather than the rule. But I believe that sites like The Onion, along with worker owned co ops like Defecta and Aftermath making sports journalism and games journalism, respectively, are the future of journalism itself. Institutions that empower great writers that deeply care about the subject matter, building sustainable, lasting businesses and relationships with their readers. And I really am serious when I say this is the future better offline. It could happen here behind the bastards, great shows and cool Zone media sixteenth Minute of Fame. These are all things built by building real relationships with you, the listener, with people actually consuming this stuff, making cool stuff with a longer time horizon then I don't know, six months making great things and hoping people will pay for them. I mean, it seems obvious, but journalism has been almost completely swallowed, kind of like when Kirby eats something and he poops it out and he turns into it. Kirby isn't that thing, He just stole it. And that is the modern state of journalism. Journalism can be saved by people like Ben Collins. It can be saved by people like Defector and Aftermath. It can be saved by people who make this stuff. And it must be put back in the hands of those who make these things. It's time to stop building big, ugly, unsustainable journalism with insane startup valuation goals. It just isn't possible anymore. What is possible is giving great people enough of a chance to build a real audience and a great product. And I think you'll agree. A better world is possible for digital media. I promise you. It just has to be built by and for the writers themselves. Thank you for listening to Better Offline. The editor and composer of the Better Offline theme song is Matasowski. You can check out more of his music and audio projects at Matasowski dot com, M A T T O, S O W s ki dot com. You can email me at easy at Better offline dot com, or visit Better Offline dot com to find more podcast links and of course, my newsletter. I also really recommend you go to chat dot where's youreaed dot at to visit the discord, and go to our slash Better Offline to check out our reddit. Thank you so much for listening.
Speaker 1: Better Offline is a production of cool Zone Media. For more from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.