Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. Catch us live weekdays at seven am Eastern on Apple CarPlay or Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Tiffany wild joins US managing director and economist at Pimco. At Tiffany, I look at the Wilding Excel spreadsheet and I guess it needs readjustment. Do you have a vision out past Q four of what the American economy is gonna do?
Speaker 3: Or you just have to wait?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's been obviously very difficult or more difficult to get a sense on what's going on in the economy just with the data that hasn't been released, you know, but never the less, with private sector sources of data, you know, we can get some insight, you know, and it does look like things are pretty stable. We think the economy is kind of a story of winners and losers right now. Where you have, you know, obviously the big tech companies, the AI build out, that's that's very strong. But on the other side of that, you have various factors that have hit the labor market, you know, including the immigration story. We think lower demand is a result of tariffs and of course some AI related displacement that's resulting in you know, some loss of tech related jobs is the other piece of that that looks weaker, you know. I think in terms of monetary policy and the FED, the fact that we haven't gotten the labor market data, you know, is it makes it more difficult for monetary policy go ahead.
Speaker 2: Surprise that the UK today have a negative statistic on GDP. Are you like a sub one percent GDP? Could that be the shock of the shutdown we just lived?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, okay, yeah, so the shutdown will absolutely impact fourth quarter growth. We think that one one to one and a half percent is what it could shave off of the fourth quarter. So we absolutely could see a negative fourth quarter GDP print. But nevertheless, as you know, as the government has already reopened, that activity will come back online and you'll see an offsetting pickup in the first quarter of next year. I think the other thing to keep in mind in the first quarter is that you're also going to get refund checks to households that are quite large this year, so that will provide also some support to the economy and to consumption in the first part of next year.
Speaker 5: Bet on the inflation front, tiffany A lot of folks in the beginning of this tariff discussion, we're warning against higher inflation, maybe materially higher inflation's resulting from terrorists.
Speaker 3: But we haven't seen it, have we.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we certainly haven't seen it to the extent that many thought we would earlier this year. And I think what we're learning as we are, as we have seen some data, you know, is that companies are dealing with the tariffs in different ways, and and one of those ways is trying to cut costs to you know, to defend margins as well as passing some of it along. But I think the big surprise for this year is the you know, is basically the management of labor costs that the companies appear to be doing associated with the tariffs. So we have seen the labor market really grind to a halt this year. Labor demand and labor supply decelerate, and we think that's directly related to companies trying to cut costs in the face of tariffs.
Speaker 5: And on the labor front, as you bring up here, the closing of the southern border has really been effective here, and there's also been some deportation has been reported. How's that impacted kind of the labor market here, particularly some of the areas that we've you know, we're led to believe would be really impacted, like agricultural, housing, construction, things like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean so so so far. I mean, I mean the way that we would would kind of think about it is is, you know, is supply the decline and labor supply is it sort of out stripping the decline in labor demand. And one way that we can get a sense for that is to look at wages and wage inflation. And when we look at wage inflation in those particular sectors, we're not really seeing them accelerate or reaccelerate, at least not yet. And the latest labor market official labor market data that we did get actually suggested that construction payrolls were contracting, and that was actually very much in line with the fact that structures investment in the United States, both residential and non residential structures investment, were also contracting. So, of course, on the horizon we have this data center build out, but it actually does look like the range of data suggests that that even in construction in other places like that, you're seeing demand that's declining just as much as a supply.
Speaker 3: It's shifting.
Speaker 2: Welding was us with Pimcot. We continue here. We welcome all of you across the nation. After the early morning of Newport Beach, California. Good morning on YouTube. Subscribe to Bloomberg Podcast. It's our new digital expression. As they say, Neil data from Renaissance. It features out on LinkedIn a Bloomberg News article, Paul the combine out of Detroit, Tiffany, I want to fold this in. Bloomberg publishes that distressed auto loans are up to a record level. What indications do you see of a better part of half of the American economy under great stress? As simple as something like they can't pay their auto loans.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, there's like you know, like you mentioned, there is certainly winners and losers in this economy, and you know, it seems like the you know, lower income folks increasingly are are struggling more here the auto delinquency increase, I think as part of that story, there's been data on actual repossessions as well, which will increase use car supply, so that feeds into you know, some of the distantallyationary parts of the economy. So yeah, I mean there is certainly an effect here. You know. I think the story as well is for smaller and mid sized businesses that are more directly impacted by the tariffs. You know, those businesses will will struggle here. So there will be parts of the economy that, as the economy goes through a transition to these new policies and new technology, that will struggle to keep up.
Speaker 5: So how do you think this FED is going to proceed here with its presumably rate cutting policy here, is the cadence going to be kind of you know, steady eddy for the next two, three, four meetings or do you think they're going to be really stop and take a look at the data.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I ultimately think that they probably will pause. And the reason for that is that you are going to see additional fiscal related stimulus offsetting some of the tariff related drag in the form of household tax credits refunds, you know, and lower taxes for corporations as well, and that will provide some offsetting support for the tariffs. Now, as I mentioned, not everybody will will be able to capture all of that. There will be winners and losers. But nevertheless, we think in the first you know, first half of next year, you will see that hit the economy and that will provide some support. I think the Federal Reserve is certainly looking to that, and it's probably why they are, you know, somewhat more cautious about cutting interest rates. You know, we think when we look at the labor market, you know, the data does suggest to us, however, that there has been you know, some additional deceleration over the last couple of months, you know, and I think the risks in the labor market do suggest it maybe one more cut, either in December or maybe January. But then after that you see how the tax stimulus hits the economy, and you wait, and there could be more of a pause.
Speaker 2: Tiffany, thank you, always, thank you, thank you, thank you. Tivity Welding with us, going to go here.
Speaker 3: Stay with us.
Speaker 2: More from Blue Imberg Surveillance coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from seven to ten am Eastern Listen on Applecarplay and Android Atto with the Bloomberg Business app or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Joining us now, the new slow is so intense.
Speaker 2: They have one of our experts on American civics, Professor Schiller at Brown University, Wendy Schiller, joins us right now. Wendy, it's eighty days I think, or even seventy nine days to the end of January. I believe all we did was kick the can down the road to January thirtieth.
Speaker 3: Am.
Speaker 2: I right on that.
Speaker 6: Well, good morning Tom and Paul.
Speaker 7: We've discussed on this show how the incredible shrinking shutdowns, meaning that you know, every time we go through this, the Congress carves out more area that's protected from the shell down.
Speaker 6: So what's key about this agreement?
Speaker 7: And I think this is really what sold the senators, the Democrat senators who decided to vote for it, was extending appropriations for a full year for snap for example, for legislative appropriations meaning LEDG staffers will get paid, and for veterans affairs.
Speaker 6: So they've taken more hot.
Speaker 7: Button really you know what we call valence kinds of programs off the table for a shutdown. So next time, maybe it'll just be air traffic controllers and that's a huge deal, but it's you know, it's less than it would be now. So I think that's the that's the sort of hidden gem, if you will, in the shutdown deal.
Speaker 2: Speak to our listeners and viewers who say, why did we do this? I mean, I mean, I'm baffled by the constructive outcome of this.
Speaker 3: What was constructive in this exercise?
Speaker 7: Well, the Democrats gambled that healthcare would be of concern. They knew that private insurance market premiums were going to go up.
Speaker 6: That you know, the carriers have been very clear about the cost of health care and that these premiums were going.
Speaker 1: To go up.
Speaker 7: So they drew attention to extending a subsidy for people who buy Obamacare insurance and try to get a tax break for the premium or some part of the premium. You know, that's a smaller subset than everybody that's on Obamacare, and that's kind of a bureaucratic issue. But now everybody knows what that issue is, and they are they basically.
Speaker 6: It's a simple fix, let's just extend it.
Speaker 7: And they've put the Republicans in somewhat of a box and they are counting on the Republicans to say no so that they can run on this issue and run on healthcare all in twenty eight twenty twenty six, just as they did, excuse me, in twenty eighteen, where they were very successful Senator Joe Manson, former Senator Joe Manchino was Virginia. So the thing that saved them in his reelection campaign at twenty eighteen was in fact healthcare because they probably to try to repeal Obamacare. So I think this is a setup that the Democrats have tried to set up the Republicans on this issue.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like being in a classroom at Brown University. The professor's blather on, and I'm looking at ai. The biggest number I have is fifteen percent are involved with some form of healthcare assistance. I think the math is eighty five percent of Americans aren't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe that's the heart of the matter.
Speaker 5: Maybe it is, Wendy, But how does this shutdown affect the midterm elections if at all?
Speaker 3: Is this going to be something or not?
Speaker 5: Even can remember in twenty six Well, you.
Speaker 7: Know interesting patterns, right, So twenty thirteen, Ted Cruz led the shutdown in the Senate to get the Grand bargain, you know, to cut eighty billion from the budget over ten years, not that we've been noticing now since the budget is bigger than it's ever.
Speaker 6: Been the federal budget. But they won the Senate.
Speaker 7: The Republicans won the Senate in twenty fourteen for lots of reasons, but that may have been one of them. And then in twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen, the Democrats shut the government down, essentially fighting with President Trump. Also that shutdown ended after a traffic cancelations were too much to bear. And you know, for lots of reasons, Biden won the presidency and the Democrats won the Senate.
Speaker 6: So I don't know that they think it's guaranteed, but it's.
Speaker 7: Shown a big strobe light on healthcare and affordability. So tom only fifteen percent may be affected, but two things. One, they have relatives who are affected. You know, they may not be on a bombcare, but they know people and their family that are. And second, you know, it's just shone a light on the fact that the healthcare system is broken, and affordability then becomes the mantra that extends to housing, to food, to gasoline, and the pressure on the incombent government to address that. We saw that with Biden in twenty four That pressure is only going to grow.
Speaker 5: So what is on the to do list for Congress now that it's going to be back in session, the government's going to be open. What should we be looking for here?
Speaker 7: Well, we may have an Epstein vote, a vote in the House to release the Epstein files. You have two hundred and eighteen signatures on a discharge petition House rules. That means it gets to bypass all the barriers and come to the floor for a vote. That's a big deal for the Republicans in the House. They're gonna have to figure out in their own party what that sweet spot is in terms of that vote and Obamacare subsidies, because this will be the Democratic slogan, and the pressure will be do you let these expire by December thirty first, or do you reach a deal what you.
Speaker 6: Extend them for a year?
Speaker 7: The Republicans would be wise to extend them for a year and then make the argument we control the government will come up with a better plan.
Speaker 6: Trump really wants it renamed. He hates that it's called Obamacare.
Speaker 7: I think if you just renamed it and made some small changes, he would sign it, and this problem would be at least put off for another couple of years. But that's where I think the Republicans can buy themselves time and get off the hook. I don't know that there are the votes in the House to do that. Based on the content of the debate yesterday, I'm not sure there are the.
Speaker 2: Votes that can you do a Thursday audible Sure, Professor Schiller, well, you were talking. You is Google Gemini to try to be smarter to keep up with you at Brown University? I mean, folks, Wendy's show is definitive in textbooks of basic American Civics. Are your undergraduates and graduate students smarter because of AI?
Speaker 6: At the moment, I would have to say no. Will they learn to be more efficient? Probably?
Speaker 7: But we have software at Brown many universities do that not only check for plagiarism, but it also checks for AI.
Speaker 6: And I have a no AI rule on my paper.
Speaker 7: So if you get a score of twenty percent of AI, I ask you to rewrite that paper.
Speaker 6: So at the moment, that's my attitude. Will it change over the year.
Speaker 7: We'll have to have more in person tests in class with pen.
Speaker 6: And paper, Like I already do.
Speaker 7: But a lot of professors are going to that solution because we still think we have.
Speaker 6: Something to teach and they have something to learn.
Speaker 7: But I imagine AI will be used as a tool for efficiency. I'm not sure that's going to expand their brains.
Speaker 2: So people on my bias here, Professor Shower, come on, you can do perplexity and type in Andrew Jackson, or you can go read three volumes of the giant Roger Remedy, who was very very kind to me. Are you telling me AI someday is going to be a substitute for James McGregor Burns or Roger Remedy.
Speaker 7: You know, I think intellectually curious students want to learn, you know, And if AI has a limit, which I think at the moment it does, then I think they're going to Actually, they don't read full books anymore.
Speaker 6: Tom, I can tell you us.
Speaker 7: I assign pieces of books, or chapters of books, or sets of pages from books, but they don't read whole books anymore.
Speaker 6: That's life. You have to just sorverjust if you're a professor.
Speaker 7: But I think AI, in terms of these kids are worried about how they present the outside world job market got tighter. They're worried abou getting a job. They want to look better and present better. They're using it for that right now, not necessarily for entire intellectual content.
Speaker 3: Professor Sweety would like to wait in here.
Speaker 5: I'm glad I'm not in the educational process anymore.
Speaker 3: I agree strongly. Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: You and I were just like shaking our heads, and Tucker over there's fulminating, Professor Schiller. They got to read books. I mean, we're going to be different if we're not reading books.
Speaker 7: But social media has just completely decimated our attention span.
Speaker 6: That's true of adults as well as you know. And even audiobooks. I believe in audiobooks.
Speaker 7: I think they're a really important tool for a lot of people who really but you know, it's a different cognitive process to listen than it is to read.
Speaker 6: But you know, I have to go where they are or I'm out of the chop. So in that sense, you know, we have to not be obsolete.
Speaker 7: We don't want to be turned into obsolete figures of professor, So you have to go where they are.
Speaker 6: So now I just shortened.
Speaker 7: The readings, but I am asking them to take exams in class.
Speaker 6: So we'll see how that comes there.
Speaker 3: You go, are you giving?
Speaker 2: I got twenty seconds, so you're given out qualities sees here.
Speaker 3: I don't see great inflation.
Speaker 6: And for tre Schiller, reading is private. I don't talk about unknown to me.
Speaker 7: If you google me, if you're a listener's google me, you'll see that I rate my professor. I don't always get all the stars.
Speaker 3: A star list.
Speaker 2: Wendy Schiller think absolutely brilliant, folks, A window there in the Brown University, the excellence at Wendy Schiller.
Speaker 3: Stay with us.
Speaker 2: More from Bloomberg Surveillance coming up after this.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. Listen live each weekday starting at seven am Eastern on Apple Corplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station. Just say Alexa Play Bloomberg eleven thirty Joining us right now.
Speaker 2: Kimberly LaPoint out of Wealth from Acquire Asset Management. Here on other things to do besides buy Nvidia. How do you buy infrastructure? Is there like stocks you buy or do you buy alternative?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I'm seeing people talk a lot about infrastructure.
Speaker 2: But an acquarie on a global basis, how do you actually affect an infrastructure purchase?
Speaker 8: Well, first, great to be here, thanks for having me. When we think about infrastructure at mcquari, we're primarily talking about private infrastructure, so things like privatizing airports, toll roads, the data centers, and the way you buy those investments at firm. At a firm like Mcquarie, we have deep teams of on the ground asset specialists that work closely with local government, with local governments, with local operating partners.
Speaker 3: Well, I just how do I buy a piece of LaGuardia.
Speaker 6: So there's a number of ways that you could buy a piece of LaGuardia.
Speaker 8: One is through working with firms like mcquarie and some of our peers that offer access to more and more high net worth individuals as well as wealth investors around the globe through the sties that they're bringing to market. So, for example, at Macquarie, we have been working to bring to wealth investors the same quality of investments, working and investing alongside our institutional portfolios that invest in things like airports, where we just took an additional stake in investing in two airports in the UK Bristol and Birmingham.
Speaker 5: Interesting, So just broadly define alternatives, how did they fit into what was the traditional sixty forty portfolio? What do you think the allocation to alternatives can be should be?
Speaker 4: Maybe?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think that is a question, particularly when you think about wealth investors that everyone is asking you think about the traditional sixty forty portfolio. Particularly in today's environment, you're not gaining the benefits of a lot of diversification, particularly when you look at the.
Speaker 6: Correlation of the largest drivers of the S and P.
Speaker 8: One of the benefits of alternatives and infrastructure, and particularly infrastructure is the low correlation to public equity. It's about one point five correlations, so you naturally get the diversification benefits. Will you currently see around ten percent of wealth client portfolios in alternatives? Many are calling that number to reach up to twenty or twenty five percent.
Speaker 2: Okay, I get it. But like you mentioned, what was the airport in England? You have two airports in England.
Speaker 8: The Birmingham and Bristol.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I want to go long Birmingham aviation.
Speaker 2: Am I buying a piece of the airport with a predictable cash flow or is it just buying the debt that built the airport.
Speaker 8: That is a great question and the answers you can do that both ways. And so at Macquarie we offer both infrastructure equity portfolios as well as infrastructure debt portfolios. And that's a decision that you would make based on the funds that you ultimately choose to invest in.
Speaker 2: Return to surveillance aviation correspondent Paul Sweening, would you go long Newark?
Speaker 3: Do you do a piece of terminal at.
Speaker 5: Wonders with terminal A making the uber experience infinitely better than was a terminal C. So Kimberly, where is we've got a lower interest rate environment presumably coming into us. What does that mean for your side of the business.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so when you think about infrastructure and where it fits in a portfolio. But I think that's interesting about the asset class is it has many of these. It has what I would like to consider sort of the characteristics of both an income and growth sort of stock on the public market side. And so in theory, what's great about the asset class is it provides ballast in a portfolio through all market cycles, periods of higher interest rates or lower lower interest rates because of the resiliency that is built into infrastructure essential assets. Thinking about your airport, regardless of the market environment, people are traveling, airports are essential and so you're getting that downside protection through full market cycles.
Speaker 2: So the build out a Heathrow just as one example where there's a Paul total cow out the fourth or fifth or sixth runway I can't remember right now. Are people like mcquarios are like a bidding war to finance the future.
Speaker 3: Of Heathrow or JFK or LAX?
Speaker 2: I mean, is it like a fever pitch to do financing of runways?
Speaker 6: So I think a couple of things.
Speaker 8: It is a very specialized skill set and there are only a few managers and firms out there that have that skill set. And that goes back to having local teams in these markets that partner with municipalities with governments to help them with their needs. As a firm like Macquarie, we get the benefit of having those local relationships. We're often a first call provider in guidance on how to think about those really important infrastructure projects to the future of you know, the economies that they're serving.
Speaker 5: How are we going to fund all these data centers that we keep hearing all these companies in their earnings conference calls and I'm spending billions here, I'm spending billions there. How do you think this is going to be finance public private? How's it going to be done?
Speaker 8: I think you're seeing it happening both ways. I think you're seeing the private markets have been incredibly important to the funding and building of data centers. You might have recently seen the sale of Aligned Data Centers, for which Macquarie led that sale, realizing a forty billion dollar enterprise value on behalf of our LPs. And the reality is you're going to see more and more of these types of deals where firms are coming in, buying them, developing them, and then looking to sell them, both on the public side as well as on the private side.
Speaker 2: So who are your clients then, is it high net worth or is it institutions where they say we want a piece of the burming.
Speaker 3: A of airport.
Speaker 6: It's both.
Speaker 8: So historically our clients were institutional and that was really the case for infrastructure in general. In recent years, due to a number of trends, more and more wealth investors want access to the same portfolio benefits that infrastructure brings as our institutional clients. So the answer today is both, and we are committed to continuing to create opportunities for the wealth's to access those same high quality portfolios.
Speaker 2: You have a modeled yield, I mean, is there like can you say infrastructure picks up two percentage points two hundred beeps over whatever?
Speaker 3: I mean, is there a structure to it? Is there every deal like custom made?
Speaker 8: So in our mind, every deal has each deal is structured on a deal by deal basis, and so in some of our more diversified portfolios, you're looking at a three to five percent yield, But it really depends on the objective of the portfolio and how yield plays into into how we structure the assets. But I would say that is more of a deal by deal question.
Speaker 3: Can you fix Uber.
Speaker 2: At JFKI or fix that?
Speaker 3: Just speaking for a.
Speaker 8: Friend, if we could, I would speaking for a friend as well.
Speaker 2: Though there was almost a fistfight on a bus at JFK like four or five months ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, somebody was so many airports get it.
Speaker 5: Though they get it, it's so much better.
Speaker 2: And I think that no, no, if they forced me to go on a bus to get to Uber, because the Bellley was down, so I had to take.
Speaker 5: Uber and you know there there Francine had the Gulf Stream, so he had to fly commercial.
Speaker 8: I think you're hitting on one of the key themes right, there's there's an incessant need to improve our infrastructure in all areas, whether it is airports, whether it is to power on the data center side.
Speaker 2: I don't mean to be stay partway, but did Macquarie Infrastructure pave fifty ninth Street in Manhattan here in the last thirty days? Were you involved in that transaction? Is an alternative.
Speaker 6: Advestments not that I'm aware of.
Speaker 3: I never thought fifty ninth Street would be repaved. No ever. Kimberly, this is Kimberly LaPoint.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much at it Wealth and Potholes and mccays that management, Thank.
Speaker 3: You so much. Stay with us.
Speaker 2: More from Bloomberg Surveillance coming up after this.
Speaker 1: This is the Blue Bomberg Surveillance Podcast. Listen live each weekday starting at seven am Eastern on Apple Coarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station, Just say Alexa Play Bloomberg eleven thirty joining.
Speaker 2: Us right now, so I have joins a senior vice president, chief econdomist caitality with a shutdown ending like do you rechange the Excel spreadsheet in twenty four hours or how long out.
Speaker 3: Do you have to wait to get a cautality view.
Speaker 9: Well, I mean we have pretty much data daily, so we track mostly property property market and so we track home transaction data. So we've been having a finger on a pole. So we did see some slow down, particularly in areas of where you needed a government approval, you know, think about flood insurance and things like that. So you know, so we do have a finger on a pole in that sense.
Speaker 5: All right, I've got the Mortgage Bankers Association thirty year fixed mortgage six point three four percent higher than it's been over the last fifteen years, but it's.
Speaker 3: Much lower than it was earlier this year.
Speaker 5: What's the rate that would get John Tucker out of his house and say I'm going to sell my house and move to Floridaca is now the mortgage it's not so bad?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean that's been the magical question, the million dollar question. And I don't know that we have a true answer to that simply because you know, it's very unrealistic to expect something in low fives, you know, and I think that's what does change the market. But what we have seen over the course of last year, especially with this volatility in mortgage es, is that people react as soon as mortgage ms come down. So you had a couple periods in September or October when mortgage it's were down to six point one, and you definitely saw both in refy space and purchase space buyers coming off of the sidelines.
Speaker 2: I have a memory of Peter Lynch years ago going ballistic, and I'm sure it was this team that doing the math over the perceived return on real estate of eight nine percent per year, and the study I believe it was a fidelity at the time is no, it's.
Speaker 3: Low single digit. Are we reverting to that?
Speaker 2: Are we going from I'm going to make a fortune in Coral Gables, Florida to the reality of a slow crawl?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 9: I mean really, historically it's been four to five percent average return, And it really depends when you buy. You know, are you buying in two thousand and four, are you buying in twenty twenty three? It depends when you buy, and so your return obviously is going to really depend on that.
Speaker 3: Joining us now, Paul Sweeney, were the one percent mortgage exactly?
Speaker 5: Or if you sell all your real estate during a pandemic, that's also a good time to sell.
Speaker 3: Talk to us about new home buyers.
Speaker 5: It seems like home affordability is just it's just brutal for the young folks. I mean that cost of housing is up fifty percent or since the beginning of the since before the pandemic.
Speaker 3: Mortgage rates are higher.
Speaker 5: It seems like affordability is just out of reach for a lot of folks.
Speaker 3: Does that change over time? Is that just the new normal?
Speaker 9: I think it does change, but it's a very slow moving process. It's been painfully slow. We have seen some improvements. You talked about mortgage it's being slightly lower, you know. We see a slower rate of home press appreciation. Home press isn't only up about one percent over the course of last year, and when you adjust for inflation, they've actually declined, right, and wages are up at a higher pace. So you are slowly, painfully gaining some of that affordability over time.
Speaker 2: Okay, Can I editorialize here. Paul, sure, I think that I talked to my kids about this. We went into homes. Can I remember my grandmother's home and had water in the kitchen, But we had homes that were relatively simple. The kids now when they're out looking for homes, you know, forget about granite countertops. They're looking for they want to they want a kitchen like John Tucker exactly.
Speaker 3: I mean, the the home.
Speaker 2: That we desire now is not the same as the home that we desired in nineteen seventy five or nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 9: Right, absolutely, And construction costs has gone up a lot, you know, because of that similar situation. When you think about it, what's happening in auto market? Why are autos so much more expensive now? Because everything is digitized? You know, you have a little computer you're writing, and people want to walk into a computer home, computerized home where everything is taken care of.
Speaker 2: I have the Nash Rambler out and Paul, they laugh at me, Yeah, because it's.
Speaker 3: Completely non digital, which you know, so they laugh at you for a number of reasons.
Speaker 5: Talk to us about just kind of are the markets in this country where it's actually a decline, because it just seems like when we the pandemic, everybody kind of left some of the urban areas and we're going to Florida and Texas and some of these Tennessee and some of these lower cost states, maybe more Land More. Is that still a story or is that those markets turned around?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 9: I mean it's a story of k shipped economy basically, you know. I mean we see that in the housing market as well. When you look at the map of the US markets that are going up, or markets in Northeast, markets that are going down, or markets in southeast and then you have a mixed picture sort of on the West coast, but a lot of it is slowed down in in migration to those markets at Florida. You know, WI is Florida. It's gone up the most and now has seen the highest slowdown and so obviously, you know, you have some resetting going on.
Speaker 3: I mean, Paul, this is great, almost lived this.
Speaker 2: She went to school at the University of Buffalow and follow New York and.
Speaker 3: You're in California now, right.
Speaker 2: I am which which snowstorm in April made the decision to go.
Speaker 3: To California, all of them?
Speaker 2: That's the right answer, Selah thank you, so I sell I help with the senior vice president catality.
Speaker 3: Here with the snap.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live each weekday, seven to ten am Eastern on Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app, tune In, and the Bloomberg Business app. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal