Speaker 1: Big things happen when you're pretty, pretty bold, pretty clever, pretty strong. I'm Danielle Robe and each week my guests and I have conversations that.
Speaker 2: Put a new spin on pretty.
Speaker 1: This is pretty smart Blair and Moani wants to help you get smarter. Blair is a best selling author, historian, and educator whose Instagram video series Smarter and Seconds has received millions of views. When I say millions, I mean like millions each video.
Speaker 2: They're dubbed micro learning, which I love.
Speaker 1: It's like bite sized pieces of information to expand our hearts and minds. She's trying to make the world more informed, inclusive place, covering topics ranging from critical race theory to mental health. I actually found her when she did a video about anti Semitism this last summer. She also has so much insight when it comes to personal identity. Blair grew up Christian but converted to Islam in twenty fifteen. She's black and a member of the LGBTQ plus community. Her life dramatically changed when she accidentally came out live on Tucker Carlson just a few years ago. Yeah, we get into that and her efforts to enrich and inform have been influenced by her own journey, so today I.
Speaker 2: Want to talk to her about it.
Speaker 1: We get into a lot She taught me about how Elmo helped her deal with social media haters, how Angela Davis convinced her to drop out of law school, why she hopes her Instagram and Smarter in sixty second series helps us all learn to ask more questions.
Speaker 2: No, I loved that one.
Speaker 1: And the problem she sees with capitalism. We sort of debated on that unexpectedly too, which I loved. She touches on what period of history we should all spend more time learning about, and why she believes we will all change somebody's life even if we aren't changing legislation. Our community is called pretty smart, and you have your community of smarties, So I feel like we're right here.
Speaker 3: We're right in the line, definitely, And I think, you know, it's just all about making it accessible and approachable. That smartness isn't something that like you need to pass a bunch of standardized tests to get to. It's not something that is exclusive to men. That anybody can be smart, anybody can be intelligent, and just moving that forward, So definitely a line.
Speaker 2: Why is being smart important to you.
Speaker 3: It's important to me because I never really would describe myself that way. Like I think in the past month someone described me as a genius and I was like, what, like, thank you. But it was all always something that was unattainable for me. I was a B student, which I thought was pretty good, but I would have friends who would be sobbing throughout high school college who'd be like, oh my gosh, I got an A minus and I was like, here, I am happy with my B minus. And so it's really just about empowering folks to understand that intelligence is not it doesn't look one way. There's so many types of intelligence, and that it's a to everyone.
Speaker 2: It's really nice.
Speaker 1: So before we dig into how smart you are, which you are, can you tell us a little bit about your background.
Speaker 3: Sure. So, I'm a black, bisexual Muslim woman. I'm from Pasadena. I'm very much like in La gal which I realized as soon as I went to school in Louisiana. I went to Louisiana State University. I've lived in DC, I've lived in New York, and I very much give that energy of like you're from La what do you mean what energy is that, uh, like excited about the world, really into juice, spiritual. I just really feel like there's a lot of archetypes that I fit into that I didn't realize really until I was in Costa Rica doing like hours of yoga, doing like a soundbath meditation, and I was like, Oh, this is what people picture when they picture Californians.
Speaker 2: Really, that's funny.
Speaker 3: Other than that I'm an educator, I really wanted to work in a museum, and I did for a little while right out of college. And then I thought I was going to be a lawyer and that didn't happen. I dropped out of law school after seven weeks.
Speaker 1: So I have to interrupt you there because I read that Angela Davis gave you the confidence to drop out of law school.
Speaker 3: So that was That's definitely the case, as well as Erica Totten, who goes by to live unchanged on Instagram and is all about like rest and just really redefining what it means to be a person in the world and how our productivity isn't tied to our worth, even though capitalism tells us otherwise and hustle culture tells us otherwise. And so I was at an event with both of them there, and I was like, I was kind of like, okay, I need to drop out. I can't do this anymore. But then when it opened for Q and A, I like low key crawled to the front of the line, grabbed the mic from the MC and was like hey. And so that was twenty fifteen, and that definitely gave me the confidence because when my family or like any relatives or friends were like, where why did you drop out? And like, actually, Angela Davis said it was also a good idea. So you can't argue with that.
Speaker 1: That's really funny. I thought you were gonna say, like you read some of her work.
Speaker 3: Oh no, Like I asked her directly at Busboys and Poets in DC, and she she told me that you don't need an institution in order to create change. And I was like, awesome, and I don't want to be miserable for the next, you know, three years of my life. And by the time folks were graduating from law school that were in my same class, I had come out with a book and so I was feeling like, Okay, my path looks different, but success looks different for everybody, and that's okay.
Speaker 2: Was that your goal to make to create change.
Speaker 3: I think that was my Yeah. I mean, I didn't know how it was going to look, but I always knew, like growing up with different like mental health situations, whether it was depression or anxiety, that I'm here at least to leave a mark and to do good. And I also was influenced by folks like doctor Terrence Roberts, who was one of the people who integrated schools in Little Rock, Arkansas. And I interviewed him when I was twelve and he told me that he volunteered with doctor Martin Luther King at fifteen to change history. And like the competitive part of me was like cool, So I'm twelve, So like what am I doing where by the time I'm fifteen, I need to be doing something too. And I just think that's why everybody's here, whether it's to just pursue your purpose, You're going to change somebody's life. It might not be literally changing legislation, it might not be winning court cases, but you are here to create a change in whatever that looks like, that's why we're here and that's why we're alive. And that kind of motivates me every day.
Speaker 1: So after that, you went to work in government relations and for planned parenthood. Where did the idea for your Instagram presence come from?
Speaker 3: So the funny thing is I was looking through my hard drive, like from college, and I forgot that I was taking all these classes on communications and social media communications and that one of my huge projects was about how a good social media presence is built. So like in the four resources of my mind, I had that skill set, but like I was so burnt out during college, Like I wasn't aware of it consciously. But while I was in college, I started a nonprofit called Equality for Her and we made these I say we because I was so used to saying that there was more than me, but it was literally just me. So I made these infographics and the first month we did it, the first Women's History month, Tumblr featured us, and so I was like me, I keep saying us and we, but like, literally it was just me during that time during twenty fourteen, and I just knew that memes were popular and that you know, quick factoid information like the Snapple bottle caps like those were popular, So how do we force more information into those things? At the same time, I was working at the Greater New Orleans Fat Fair Housing Coalition making infographics out of their like white paper studies on housing discrimination. So making like big info into like little approachable info was my whole thing. And it wasn't until August twenty twenty, like all those years later that when Reels was coming out, I was like, Okay, I missed my opportunity to be a buying star and I really feel like that would have been my niche. But now is my time, and so I took it really seriously. And if there's one thing I can do, it's talk really fast, which is also an LA thing, and get you know, information across in a short period of time. And so I think it came from a lot of the background I had and just the right opportunity and tools.
Speaker 1: For someone who hasn't seen your Instagram yet, how do you describe the content that you create?
Speaker 3: Colorful for sure, sometimes shady, but always with the approach that wanting to educate folks. I try to tell it like it is without making people feel bad for not knowing something already, because we need more of that. Just being frustrated at somebody for not knowing everything that you know is like really like egotistical, but It happens so often because once you know something, you're like, why doesn't everybody else know this? Like even if it's like related to literally anything like fashion, whether it's related to like yoga, high k Like, we get so caught up in our ways of like, well I know this so clearly everyone else does, right, and then people are afraid to ask questions. And when that happens as it relates to social justice, then we're not going to get anywhere. So it just needs to be like a, hey, come and learn with me. And they're also great for winning arguments. My series Smarter and Seconds, I find that most folks send those two people to win arguments, and I love that because it's all like you know, researched. It takes a toll off of them, and it just helps folks to get their their point across in a way that they might not know how to do. So I'm happy to be there for them.
Speaker 1: So you said questions questions are my love language. You say that the point of teaching isn't to give people answers, it's to show people how to ask better questions. When I read that, I was like, I love blairmat I appreciate that because I agree, I created this card deck that we use at the end of every interview, and that is the.
Speaker 2: Point of the card deck. It's all about the power of questions.
Speaker 1: So where did you learn that, Like, how did you experience the power of questions in your own life?
Speaker 3: Well, when I was a kid, I was the one that always had on the report card like asks lots of questions, and it was kind of a little bit of tongue in cheek shade from the teacher where it was just like your daughter won't be quiet, exact. And I was at the mindset that if you were coming to class every day, it did not matter that there were thirty other people in class. I had to ask a question every day. And that was the added pressure of being the only black girl in class, where I felt like I had to be the representative for all of like black people in this class. Even in math class, I'm like, well what about this, or just contributing to the conversation. I was a very active learner, and I also experienced some teachers who were not used to being questioned or like challenge or just like okay, you've given me your answer, but I don't understand it. Still and some teachers in and everybody might take that as like, oh, this is a challenge to my authority, instead of it just being like no, I trust to you. I feel I can be vulnerable in this situation. Can I ask another question? It's usually like how dare you confront me, especially if the person has bagage for something else. So I had substitute teachers sometimes where I would ask a question and then I would get in trouble for asking that question, and my parents basically point blank told me. My mom in particular, was like Blair. Sometimes adults feel threatened when younger people, particularly children, ask them questions that they don't know the answer to. So you need to just forget about that. A really intelligent person would say I'm not sure. I'm going to get back to you on that, and we can have a discussion later and not be vulnerable or scared to not say that they know something. So I had like the rules. I had like the cheek codes to life. Like as a kid, I was like cool, So if a teacher's ever mad at me for asking something, it's because they don't know. I'm not the problem. So it gave me this like weird gravado as a kid where I was like, there's so much to learn and anybody who's afraid of information is really missing out. And it took me a while to get to a place of humility with that. I'm gonna be honest, But now that I'm kind of like I have a better, more mature understanding, it's just the door to open. Because if you can ask a good question about something, then you show an understanding of it, and you show what you don't know about it, which shows that you can envision what there is to know and what step can you take to get there, which I think is a lot more interesting and deep than just being like, oh, I've memorized the stuff, let me spit it back out.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'm curious as to how you decide the topics that you're gonna cover, because I mean, you could cover so much.
Speaker 2: I found you. I think this summer.
Speaker 1: For the first time when there was a lot of anti Semitism that sparked, and you did of like a co video way. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I did a lesson on the Jewish American Heritage Month back in May, and then I recently did one with Madison Werner on anti Semitism and a bunch of other folks.
Speaker 1: And I was curious, how you choose the videos that you're gonna talk about.
Speaker 3: Well, it's it's kind of like a complex process because what I think is interesting isn't always what my audience thinks is interesting. And so I had two interns last summer, Zada Jakil Zada and Maggie Giles, and they were like, you should just do a census, like the way that you know. That's how it's the best way to get information, not just to assume and to guess, but to ask your followers, like, hey, community, what do you want to learn about from me? And it doesn't mean I'm just gonna do exactly what they say, because it's still my page. It's still I still have to be interested and passionate and excited by it. But at least I can have some orientation. And I also do a lot of polling on Patreon. I was gonna spend so much time learning computer science so I could do a lesson on algorithms, and then I was like, hey, community, do y'all want to learn about algorithms? And they were like nah, And I was like, great, I'm glad I didn't spend any more time on that then I needed to. I'm still trying to get like the order of things correct, but I try to capture what is going undiscussed or what a lot of folks have just missing gaps of information on. And it's hard to do it in a way that's timely because I don't want to have to drop everything and like go out and get the stuff together, but still being mindful enough to be like, Okay, well, this month is you know, Black History months, so I'm going to focus more on Black history. It's Pride, so I'm going to focus on what Pride Month is and how to watch out for rainbow washing. During Earth Day, I did a lesson on greenwashing and what it looks like when companies are just like, oh, we love the planet, and it's like, no, you use a ton of like single use plastics. They're just greed and so we're supposed to think, like, you know, you're not fooling us. And then when I did recently do one that kind of touched very briefly on a pop culture moment, but I made sure not to like name the celebrity that like said the faux pas, because I don't want to turn the conversation into you know, pop culture commentary. I want to like bring it back to the material, di engage somebody and be like, hey, remember that, Yeah that was weird. Here's why it was weird. Let's learn and grow instead of it being like, let's shit on the celebrity, because that's not what my classroom's about.
Speaker 2: It's interesting, you know.
Speaker 1: So for a while I did a lot of entertainment reporting, and people would ask me because I was a political science major, and they would be like, well, why are you doing like entertainment stuff? And I always felt like pop culture held a mirror up to where we are and where we're going, and gave us such a great sort of water cooler way of talking about complicated issues and bringing them into a SoundBite that everybody heard about, understood and then could pick apart exactly.
Speaker 3: And it's just so much more approachable. And I think when folks say that, I think, particularly again being from LA having such a connection to like you would see some celebrities all the time, Like every time we went to the mall, we'd see somebody, not every time, but like often that if we all can view somebody in our pop culture like context as important, like I recently met Lil Nazex, Like, for fifteen seconds, I felt very compelled to tell Little Nazex in those fifteen seconds what he meant to queer young people and that if he ever feels like the criticism is too much, that he literally helps people feel like they can exist and that's so important and that's beautiful. And then he's like whoa, And then I was like, can we take a selfie? And then we did. But that's really, in a nutshell, what it is when people don't don't feel as though they can be themselves because they've been so oppressed, they've been so harmed, and then they see somebody being successful, being loud, being praised for being themselves, then that person, wherever they might be, be able to hit through another day. And that's huge. And when we reduce pop culture to like something that's not deeper doesn't matter, Like, Okay, those same folks might think that the periodic table is like super important, but like, is that really like interfering with people's daily lives. Are they really thinking about like helium and oxygen in the same way. Yes, they're dealing with helium and oxygen because they're breathing or at least the oxygen, but like what connects to different people is so varied. And however, we can get people from point A to point B, which is like you know, interest to understanding the better and whatever method it takes us to get folks through that is a good one. And entertainment is such an approchonal one to do it through.
Speaker 1: What's an overlook chapter or event in history that you think people could learn a lot from.
Speaker 3: I think Reconstruction, And I say that immediately because it was the time period where the United States government was like, okay, chattle slavery, no more of that, or at least in a different way, because they're still slavery in the context of prison, but it's definitely different because people aren't being bought, sold, inherited, and traded like property in the same way that was happening prior to eighteen sixty five. And why I think it's so important is because there was this moment where life could have gone so many different ways. Speaking of pop culture, like if you look at the multiverse and all those things with like Spider Man and Marvel, like the way that they're like, oh, this timeline could go this way and that way, like Okay, cool, but like apply that to historical context. We literally could have had a country where all of the different plantations were redistributed to the people who had made those plantations possible. The enslaved people, provided reparations, provided literacy programs, and what ended up happening was a bunch of private efforts to do those things. But imagine if the United States government said, like, hey, let's be accountable to the harms that we've perpetuated against not only enslaved Black Americans, but against displaced indigenous Americans. We would be living in a different country. We'd have different values. And so many folks want to look at the civil rights movement, but that's very studied, but the way that we got there was through this longer history. So I'm obsessed with reconstruction and it just shows you how progress can be stifled. And I think it's an important lesson, particularly as we're seeing anti trans bills, as we're seeing you know, don't say gay laws, and it's just really like, how did we get from point A to point B? And how do we not do that again? But if we don't look at the possibilities and the ways it's gone wrong, then we'll never strategize to get to a better outcome.
Speaker 1: Interesting when you mentioned reparations, for a while, I was like, I wonder if we did that in our country, if if it would almost backfire? And then as I thought it through, I was like, if we bring it down to a one on one level, if I do something wrong and I don't apologize to you, how are you ever going to be in conversation with me again? And so even if it's a symbol, I think we have to apologize, definitely, reparations have to.
Speaker 3: And President Barack Obama did apologize for slavery, but I felt a little bit weird that our first ye black American president is the one apologizing what. But the thing is about reparations is that I think sometimes folks think it's going to be like a stimulus chech situation, and then like, well, how will we track folks down. Ancestry dot Com could right now decide to do micro reparations where if you can track oh my ancestors enslaved your ancestors, I'm going to pay for your ancestry dot com membership. It could look like that. It could look like a state level. I mean, that's more like a mutual aid situation. Reparations institutionally might look like, oh, hey, this neighborhood because of redlighting, didn't have grocery stores, and now it's getting gentrified. What we're going to do is make sure that we give financial education to the folks who have lived there, make sure that grocery stores start popping up there before it gets turned into a demographic and putting laws in place to shift the school to prison pipeline. It would just be like, hey, we're going to fund better futures for black folks, not right after somebody gets killed by police and people suddenly care, but because of this context of institutional racism.
Speaker 1: From the state and community level, I'm so with you, and national government. From a private enterprise level, I've never heard that argument. So you're saying that private company, Oh totally could it?
Speaker 2: Can you expand on that?
Speaker 3: Oh sure, I mean, like with ancestry dot Com. I keep I've had this idea forever. So this is the first time talking about it publicly. Okay, But so there's these things called slave schedules, and it's like this horrible Excel sheet from like the eighteen hundreds, and it's one of the only ways to find out where your ancestors, if they were enslaved, were located, where they went, and all of those well a lot of them were burned, but a lot of them were kept and put into these different databases. In the United States, it's extremely difficult to access those databases without paying for a subscription service like ancestry dot com. So it's like cool. So if you feel like, as a company you get to have any type of monopoly over somebody's like lineage or history, what if you decided to be radical with it and really connect people and do meaningful things. During twenty twenty, when so many folks were like really awakened to the issues of enslavement and racism and violence against anti black violence, I had a lot of people who were like my distant, distant, distant, seven times removed cousins who were white folks reaching out to me being like, according to ancestry DNA were related. Okay, Well, what if ancestry gave the opportunity to be like, hey, you have relatives that your ancestors enslaved. What if you paid for their memberships. It's not something that's mandatory, it's not something that's required, but It's something that I think reconnects and rehumanizes what these things look like. There's also a lot of movement happening within indigenous communities which I can't speak on authoritatively, called land back. What does it look like for you to reside on land that was not given by the indigenous community that was there to like pay rent to support their communities, which are often likes like the res communities, the reservations and indigenous communities are like sometimes the paving of the road goes right up to the reservation, like they's so underfunded, and so there's like material, small ways that we can do it. And I think it's just about using things like pop culture honestly and like sci fi to imagine a more like just a better future than what we have right now and breaking through that idea of like, oh, it couldn't work and instead of being like, well, what are the ways it could?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have to sit with that.
Speaker 1: I haven't heard anything like that, and my first kind of thought is like, well, how far back do we go?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Like, if we do that, we could go for centuries and centuries and then.
Speaker 3: Well, racism and race and racism were created in the fourteen hundreds. So there's only so far we can go back to a certain like you know, for the system of.
Speaker 1: Race, So that is edig there's indigenous groups in every country now, yes, and so I mean it dates back to the beginning of.
Speaker 3: Time, yeah, but when it will. So there's indigenaity and colonization, and then there's indigenaiting and colonization and then the use of a system called race to racialize those people and say and you're less than. You're not just from another place, but you are less than because of you're your skin color, you're a hair texture, and these things being evolved and created. I talk about that more in chapter five of my book. But I think it's like looking at the consequences. If we wanted to do something that was just in the past hundred years, it'd be giving reparations to veterans who weren't able to access the GI bill because of redlining. And that's something that the Black Veterans Project is working on with Richard Brickshire. So there is some work happening. It's exciting, but I think it's like the old adage of like the sins of the father, right, But looking at it critically and being like, Okay, well, if the sins of that father are still affecting this father's sons, and what do we do to better those situations in ways that make people's futures better right now instead of like far off in the future.
Speaker 1: I really like hearing about things like solutions I haven't heard about before, so thanks for sharing that with us. This podcast is sponsored by Betterhelp. Do you ever feel fatigued, lack of motivation, overwhelm, helpless, or even trapped? It could be burnout. Many people are burned out without even knowing it. For me, burnout sneaks up slowly and then all at once. What I mean by that is I don't realize it's happening until I'm really over the edge. And while we associate burnout with work, that's not the only cause. Any of our roles in life can lead us to feel it. Mine is actually often not associated with work at all, and Better Help Online Therapy wants to remind you to prioritize yourself. Talking with someone can help you figure out what's causing stress in your life. I'll tell you about my personal experience by talking it through with my therapist, I realized my burnout was about saying yes when I really wanted to say no, but identifying that stressor can.
Speaker 2: Be the hardest part.
Speaker 1: Over the last three years, I've been working with a therapist who practices Gestalt therapy, which is an approach that centered on increasing a person's awareness, freedom, and self direction. It's a form of therapy that focuses on the present moment rather than past experiences. And in Gestalt therapy, you are always in relationship to something, to another person, to ourselves. Even the environment to be in relationship allows us to know our own experience in a deeper way. For me, to be in relationship with a therapist regularly helps me understand my feelings, helps me be in control of what I'm feeling and my response is to people. Betterhelp is customized online therapy that offers video, phone and even live chat sessions with your therapist so you don't have to see anyone on camera if you don't want to, and it's much more affordable than in person therapy, and you can be matched with a therapist in one hundred forty eight hours. Pretty Smart listeners get ten percent off their first month at betterhelp dot com slash pretty Smart. That's better h lp dot com slash pretty smart. If you don't know where to start, better help is a great place. Okay, you've told me about your Instagram page being brightly colored. It's very welcoming too, which I love when I go to it. I feel like it denotes all are welcome. When you set out to create your page. What are some of the big decisions you made in terms of how you were approaching content? I know you mentioned college. What are some of those best practices that you think about now?
Speaker 3: I think there's a big shift when I became an influencer, because, you know, shifting from being an activist or like you know, publicly calling myself an activist and being an organizer and having been arrested at protests. Like then shifting to being a historian and like consulting on different things and being more of a communicator and then becoming an influencer was interesting. And there are a lot of folks who are like Blair, how are you going to talk about capitalism and still sell stuff on you know, Instagram, which I'm gonna be doing like a lesson about soon.
Speaker 2: That is an interesting question, is yeah, But.
Speaker 3: It's also like the I think what it comes down to is that we don't have a lot of class education. And so sometimes folks think, like, oh, if you're a capitalist, then you're buying and selling stuff. But buying and selling is like it goes way before capitalism, and it also is this idea that if you're buying and selling stuff, you're doing it exclusively with exploitation. So the way that I make sure that I'm not like selling out is to like look at the qualifications of a company, Like I never want to work with a company for pride that doesn't have a policy for like equal family leave for a queer couple versus a straight couple, And I need to make sure, which means I have to like spend sometimes hours of research, but I don't want to put my name on anything that I can't stand by. Doesn't mean that I'm like perfect or fool proof, but my intention is there, my standards are there. And that's kind of what was a big shift, Like what is my threshold I'm not going to work with a company if they don't do this, or like maybe I can start that conversation, maybe I can ask questions that they literally don't have time to think about because they're trying to like, you know, make profits. You know, like they might not have time to think about these things.
Speaker 1: Oh right, but profits that like it's a hard circle, right, it's profits that you're benefiting from. So, like capitalist you're buying into capitalism still, which is fine. But I like capitalism, but like.
Speaker 3: So the way that I like run smarter and seconds for example, or like when I work with a different company, I think so when it comes to capitalism, the idea is to pay everybody you're working with the least amount of money for the most amount of work. And if you're deciding to like actually invest in people, like hey, I'm gonna make sure that I'm coming back.
Speaker 2: So that's not the definition of.
Speaker 3: Capitalism though, No, the definition well, like.
Speaker 2: You're saying that's your opinion on capitalism.
Speaker 3: Historically, the best capitalists have paid people the least amount of money for the most amount of work.
Speaker 2: That's why we have pushed back on that.
Speaker 3: Well, that's why we have minimum wage, because we have to legislate people literally getting paid the least amount of money that we've decided as a society or that Congress decides is acceptable right for the most amount of work.
Speaker 1: I think minimum wage needs to be increased. I believe in conscious and compassionate capitalism, so I don't think we're so far apart. But it's interesting to hear that you think capitalism is paying people the.
Speaker 2: Least amount of money for the most amount of work, because I'm not sure. I mean, I don't do that. When I like.
Speaker 3: So, then you wouldn't be operating as an exploitative of capitalist You might be adding elements of socialism.
Speaker 2: But exploitive capitalism is different than capitalism.
Speaker 3: I mean some a lot of people would argue that they're like one in one because capitalism and it's perfected form of slavery where it's the complete benefit to the owner to zero benefit of the worker.
Speaker 2: I've never heard that definition. That's interesting.
Speaker 3: Then we have racial capitalism, which is what we see in the United States, which is why we have stuff like prison labor, where people right now are making a maximum of one dollar fifteen per hour for the same work that they can't get hired for. That's because they are formerly incarcerated. Horrible. Yeah, but it's all like this, it's you know, it's uncomfortable, but it's real. And I think that being an influencer in that context means like, Okay, well I'm going to pay somebody more than the industry standard because I recognize their work, I recognize the effort they're putting into things. I'm going to make sure that I'm advocating for them. It's interesting, like it's good business to like invest in your employees, but what we see in Silicon Valley is having all of these amenities where folks spend more time at work doing more things, and like, awesome, there's a treadmill at work. But now I'm getting to work this much time earlier, so I can work this much more time. So it's good for employee retention. But it is kind of all of this kind of icky system. And so the shift, going back to your question that I've tried to make was being really conscious about what I'm part with, who I'm working with, so that way I feel like I can sleep at night.
Speaker 2: That's all that matters if you can look at it.
Speaker 1: My mom always said, if you can look in the mirror and like the person looking back at you, it's all that matters. So I heard that you have a special tactic for dealing with haters.
Speaker 3: As you have done such amazing research.
Speaker 2: Yes, I do and it involves Elmo.
Speaker 3: Yes it does, and it's actually there's a whole thing. But Elmo is so pure and there's so many like TikTok trends that have to do with Elmo and like rock, oh how he has this rock? But I get such out of the box questions, And like I was talking about earlier about like when people are challenged, like they feel threatened, Like for me, it's like being challenged on stuff like I mean, we had a great discussion about capitalism, which was fantastic, but like.
Speaker 1: I love sparring with you, by the way, ye know I never get to do this, then I.
Speaker 3: Love it too. And I think that trying to be somebody who can be present in every situation and like not have the baggage of the day or like my life come into those interactions looks like having to like myself outside of my body when I like see things that are just like how the heck are you gay? And Muslim? And if it's like if I'm reading it like that, I'm gonna read it like hmm, it's gonna be a bad interaction. But if it's like Hi, Blair, Elma wants to know why are you gay? And Muslim thank you. You know, then I can be like, oh, elma, you just weren't clear that that was a real Okay, no problem. You can go to blairinmoney dot Com, forward slash faq and you can see my whole explanation that I've already pre written.
Speaker 2: Wow. Okay, So do you know Brene Brown?
Speaker 1: So she has this great thing where she tells people that like, when something upsets you, you think the story I'm telling myself is because you've just personalized it and used your own frame. I love that you totally reframed it and took the anger out of those comments.
Speaker 2: It's a great tactic.
Speaker 3: Because it's also like they don't know who I am. They might have literally just been like gay must what like? That's usually what they reaction is immediately. And I see that, whether it's somebody who's like pants because they want to know where my pants are from. But instead of being like, hi, Blair, you don't know who I am? This is who I am? Where are your pants from? They're just like pants? And I'm like cool, and so I have to take a step back. And that is exactly right, Like what are you assuming about this interaction? And it's been just so healthy throughout my life. My mom is like she's trained to be a social worker, so she's very much like, what is the context of the person you're interacting with and what are you taking on that might not even be there? And it's really hard to do. But when you add like Elmo to it, it's just like, oh, clearly this person, it's just Elmo. Elmo just wants to.
Speaker 1: Know Elmo to the haters. So I was really excited to hear about this. You're developing a show with the Jim Henson Company, So for anybody who doesn't know, Jim Henson created the Muppets, which is I think dear to a lot of people's hearts.
Speaker 2: So that's really cool. How are you going to use.
Speaker 1: What you've learned in the creator space online and bring it elsewhere?
Speaker 3: So this is really exciting. I think one of the things about like being in la is that I've been so cautious to be as excited as I want to be about the Jim Henson opportunity, because.
Speaker 2: Girl yet excited.
Speaker 3: You know, like there's a part of me that like, WHOA the other part of me that's like, but what if it doesn't like what if, like it doesn't get purchased by a network, you know, like in all those fears, and I think I'm just trying to be like very grounded in it.
Speaker 1: But regardless window for a second, because Jim Henson and the muff It's are a big deal, So like, tell me what is it gonna be about?
Speaker 2: What did you envision?
Speaker 3: So I don't think I can talk about what it's gonna be about, but I do want to shout out my producers. I have three awesome women producers. Lisa Henson who's Jim Henson's daughter, Sidney Clifton who's Lucille Clifton's daughter, and then Hallie Stanford. I don't know what her parents did, but she's amazing and it's just been so amazing to like come into this space, work with my assistant Kat Wheeler as well, and like just id eight and think about how things translate and really wanting to talk. So it's gonna be like probably eight to ten year old. So that's what we do know. It's gonna be some type of educational thing. It's probably gonna add comedy to it, but basically what I'm doing with social media and like what you're literally doing right now is like producing materials and whether it's airing through a podcast, whether it's going on YouTube, whether it's going on like Good Morning America, like it all takes the same components and parts, and I think that's been really validating for me. It also makes me want to like level up a little bit, Like when I'm going on set and I'm filming Smarter in seconds, even though it's like a thirty second you know, educational video. It's the same mechanics, you know, just like with a different budget, a really different budget. But I think that the key point is figuring out or just being humble in the fact that your information is only as good as you can make it interesting to engage with, and then, particularly as it relates to young people, like also not dumbing things down, like you can make things short and sweet and informative without oversimplifying it to the point where people feel like, come on, I'm not Ilmo.
Speaker 1: You know. So you were born Blair Elizabeth. Why was it important for you to change your name to Blair and Moani?
Speaker 3: Well, so I loved the name of Moni since high school and Imani means faith or my faith. It's also a day of Kwanza where it's like, you know, coming together around faith. Converting to Islam was a very important point in my life where my dad I was like totally cool, like convert to Isla. I'm a lot of my friends did in the seventies whatever. My mom was kind of like this is a complete what you know, Like she's very like we went to a Prince concert when I was a kid, or like I was eight, I was just eighteen, and my mom was like, you should wear this corset that you're aunt Cynthia wore when we went to Prince and I was like, so I did. But I was like so uncomfortable. I've not always been somebody who's the most comfortable like showing a lot of skin, and so it was just different from my mom because she's very much like body positivity, sex positivity to the point where I was like, oh my gosh, just stop, like what are you doing. But like most people's dream mom, like my mom was the cool mom, like you need the sex talk, you know where to get condoms, you need plan B. She got you, you know, like she was gonna take care of folks and just get folks what they needed. And I was just kind of like, oh my goodness, the scandal of it all. And so when with me renaming myself, it was like reclaiming parts of me, understanding myself in a different way. But I always liked the name of Moni, and I was like, I well name my child in Moani. And then I was like, Okay, I'm not actually gonna wait for me to have a kid. I'm just gonna give myself that name and then really embody that rebirth. I think also I didn't really relate to Blair Elizabeth, which was It's funny because I meet so many people whose middle name is Elizabeth. It's like a very common thing. But I never connected to it. And I think it's because there's so many different assumptions that comes with people's names. Whether it's like your gender, whether it's your race, your class depending on spelling, your culture of origin, your language of origin.
Speaker 1: I just watched a Freakonomics documentary about this. It's if anybody's interested. It's on Amazon Private.
Speaker 3: It's so interesting, there's so much that goes into it. I also have a thirty second version on Smarter Seconds about names and bias. But there's so many things that go into it. There's also a great documentary The Name Escapes Me. But people who have like names that are like like this last this woman's last name was Coburn, but it's spelled like cockburn, and like what it meant for her, like as a young woman to have a name that like had the word cock in it, and like, yeah, those types of things, and it can really shape you. And I'm of the opinion that if you don't like your name.
Speaker 2: Change it. It's you.
Speaker 3: You have to be this person all the time, Like, if you don't love that, then totally change it. Interesting.
Speaker 2: Okay, So this was so wild.
Speaker 1: I watched the clip you came out as bisexual on TV during an appearance on Carls.
Speaker 2: You know, you not Fox, and it's something you talk about in your Ted talk. So when you look back at that moment.
Speaker 1: I mean, in the moment I think I could tell you just kind of like blurted it out.
Speaker 3: It was completely on an accident. It was a definite scorpio moment where I was like, well, actually.
Speaker 1: Right, because he was kind of questioning the audacity you had to talk on certain issues and you were like, actually, I'm a member of all I met all.
Speaker 2: Of these identities.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so what did you learn from that experience and looking back, how do you perceive it now?
Speaker 3: One thing I learned is that my gosh, like coming out this intense first of all this like that it's I still get flustered thinking about it, like putting myself back in that moment, because after I came out, I still to get through the rest of the interview. And I'm also like getting a bunch of notifications with my phone in my back pocket, being like, oh my gosh, Grandma's gonna want to know what queered me. It's like, what is this? And I'm really grateful for Glad with Sarah Kate Ellis, who like immediately reached out and was like, hey, I saw the clips. She sent me a DM on Twitter.
Speaker 2: She was she was a president of GLAD.
Speaker 3: It was yeah, yeah, and so I think she might still be. But she basically like open arms, was just like hey, I got you, Like GLAD has your back. It was also weird because the show wanted to have me back on and I was like, no, I've gotten like the most death threats of my life, Like I literally had to move my apartment. It was such good. So it was really mm Hm. It was amad to move apartments because I was just getting so many threats, Like I might not have had to, but like at a certain point, you're like, uh, I feel like this is nervous the same like safe thing to go. But I'm honestly really grateful for the experience because while I got like disinvited from a lot of things, I had only been Muslim for two years. And I'm really grateful that people who had like wanted me around and wanted to invite me to stuff and then learn something about me that was always true that they didn't know they decided to act differently around me. I'm glad that they're out of my life and that they decided to, you know, leave. And I also think that I really didn't feel good about the experience until I was in Iowa, I think. And there was this girl during this like early morning keynote I was giving, and she just raised her hand and started talking about what it was like for her to see that while she was on vacation with her homophobic family, yeah and feel like, oh I'm not alone, and like she cried, I cried, We hugged, but I was like, Okay, at least one person's life was made better by that very very intense moment of my life. And also I sold my book a lot faster with the increase in visibility. So for what it was, it was it was interesting. But I also came correct. I knew I wasn't going to change his mind. I knew I was there to try to raise my visibility so that way I could, like, you know, sell my book. And then I also knew that if I wore pink and like very feminine colors, that it would look like he was yelling at like a very feminine entity and look like even more of a jerk. And that was also effective.
Speaker 1: I like that you're so transparent about that. Okay, I do a rapid fire at the end. Must follow account on Instagram.
Speaker 3: Hmm, okay, this is gonna sound weird, but most Sari Adam Asari's account. He's like the head of Instagram. You know, it's like, oh, he created Instagram. He gives I don't know if he did, but he's ahead of it. He's like the guy that he You could just ask him questions, I'll answer honestly, and it just funny. Removes a lot of ambiguity.
Speaker 1: So him if you could meet any historical figure, who would it be?
Speaker 3: I to b Wells for sure, Oh, my goodness, she's such a storyteller. Also, Zora near Hearston. Since we're traveling back in time.
Speaker 2: If your phone is on three percent battery, who are you.
Speaker 3: Calling my mom to tell her not to call me? A bunch of times I think I'm dead.
Speaker 2: One thing you'd like to tell young Blair.
Speaker 3: My goodness with like, hmm, I don't think I could tell myself anything. I was one of those kids that like, you couldn't tell anything too, but like in those lonely moments, I would definitely say, like, it's okay that you don't have a lot of friends right now, because you're learning to be your own friends and a lot of people don't know how to do that.
Speaker 2: A lot of people have to learn that later in life. It's nice to learn it when you're young.
Speaker 1: One book that changed your life that you think everybody should read.
Speaker 3: Black Sexual Politics, Definitely.
Speaker 1: The pretty smart question is because you're an LA girl, this was perfect for you. What's the weirdest thing you've ever done in your car?
Speaker 3: H Some of those questions are not PG raided, but I completely changed my output that I had just bought at Crossroads Trading Company so that I could go to a pop up event for Who was it for? I think it was a little Kim. Yeah, I'm just like a residential road in the daylight.
Speaker 1: Little Kim is actually such an interesting study in pop culture and politics. Okay, the smartest decision you've ever.
Speaker 3: Made asking for help in general, but like specifically with business, like realizing I can't do everything and being okay with like taking less money home if you can hire somebody to do it better so you have just more time to be present.
Speaker 1: Awesome, Blair, thank you for your honesty, your candor, your vulnerability. I love what you're doing online and I'm excited to support you.
Speaker 3: Appreciate it.
Speaker 1: All right, Today is a good day. To have a good day. I'll see you next week.