Speaker 1: Welcome into Bears Weekly, powered by IGS Energy us Chiaicago Bears Network production.
Speaker 2: Bears Weekly is brought.
Speaker 1: To you by Advocate Healthcare, Athletico Physical Therapy, Bette Rivers. Also brought to you by cd W Connie's Pizza, Ed Miller Lyte. Here are your hosts, Jeff Chodiac aka the Maroo Bearsville and his Sidekicked Tom the Surfmaster Theyer.
Speaker 3: Headed in the week four hopefully with a brand new outlook on what has happened so far. As the verit curator for the Denver Bronckvio is welcome in everybody, Jeff Johnieck with Super Bowl Bear winner Tom Thayer. Thanks to Dan Brelli, Jordan tread Up, Kevin Foy even helping us out tonight and in the ESPN one thousand studios Jay Canto Kendrick Smith, thank you guys for helping us out. The executive producer of the Bears Radio Network is Eric Ostrowski. Coming up tonight at around six ' ten, we'll hear from Bear's defensive end to Marcus Walker had a chance to visit with him, and later in the show, the voice of the Denver Broncos Dave Logan, his head is spinning after what happened there down in Miami big time. But the Bears have their own concerns about what's happened so far, but optimism prevails in this building about what's around the corner. We're gonna hear from some Luke Getzi from the podium earlier today, how are you feeling about everything?
Speaker 4: Well, you brought up the word outlook, Jeff, and I think the word outlook it's got to start as soon as the at Kansas City game concluded. You got to figure out how to get this thing back on track. The corrections you need to be made. And then after you make the corrections by watching the video the tape with everybody you know facing criticisms or corrections, you got to take it to the practice field on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, and then I think that's when your outlook starts because you gotta respin a positive frame of mind. You gotta believe in what you're gonna go out there and do. And then come Sunday, Man, you gotta do it full speed. You got to bring it like you haven't brought it before. And you have to have that outcome that everybody is coming to the stadium.
Speaker 3: For Offensively, the Bear still not able to score points, and that has been something that has continued for a couple of seasons now. Over the last ten games, I believe the Bears have not been able to get more than twenty points in a game. But Luke Getsei at the podium today is still thinking big and trying to avoid all that discussion about what has happened in the past.
Speaker 5: I think we're in the process of building something special, and I think that we're in the phase of its week three going in a week four, and we're going on to find a way to attack Denver in a completely different way than we did Kansas City. That's the week to week challenge that you have. There's different schemes, there's different mentalities of coordinators that you're playing against, and so, like you said, Coach Flus kind of always says, you get twenty four hours to enjoy or be sad about whatever the heck happened, then you move on. That's part of our business. It's a seventeen week process, it is not a three week process.
Speaker 3: And there is a lot of validity in that. That's how coaches and players have to compartmentalize it's one game. It's a week to week league.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's that way when you're you have a series of wins and losses. But they've only had a series of losses. So you might dwell on this a little bit.
Speaker 6: Longer than just twenty four hours.
Speaker 4: It may take you into Tuesday morning when you wake up and you think, oh my gosh, what's going on here? But when you look at Matt Eberflus address the media at the podium, he's got a positive frame of mind, an upbeat attitude, And I think it's not up to the coaches to turn this thing around. It's up to the players to perform better and get this thing turned around.
Speaker 3: Well, he insists it's a partnership, but he puts a lot on the coaches to do that too.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, Jeff.
Speaker 4: But they're never gonna be in a stance. They're not gonna wear spikes to the sideline. They're not gonna ask to cover a wide receiver or locate a you know, locate a open receiver downfield, or you know, play cleaner brand of football on the offensive line. So you know, it's about the players that perform and the coaches just get them ready.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you much as much tape as anybody, And I think most games and this goes for winning and losing and runaway trained like Miami last week what they did. That's a whole separate conversation. But there are half a dozen to eight plays a game. Coach keeps referring a six. Today, Luke Getzi says, you know, he feels confident because six eight plays different outcomes. There's a different storyline here today. Do you agree with that premise? Each game? Could you circle six to eight plays, maybe less than that Sometimes that could turn the tide, make things different. You build off of that success instead of not building off of that failure.
Speaker 4: I don't think there's a number that you can put on in a determined amount of plays that can change the outcome. But so I'll go back to the first half. With three minutes and five seconds remaining in the first half, it was twenty one to nothing. So you and I on the broadcast, I was saying, Okay, Jeff, if they can go down there and have a two minute drill and score, get the ball to start the secon and half, maybe it can be fourteen twenty one to fourteen. So there's a moment in time. It's not six plays. Then the DJ More drop pass on the right sideline, the drop pass by Chase Claypool. You know, so they got to, you know, justin put those guys in a position to succeed. Now you have to come up and you have to make the plays according to plan.
Speaker 3: Here's Getzi explaining why he feels the offense is close.
Speaker 5: Well, I think it's I wouldn't use the word poorly executed. I would just say that the reactions weren't to matching what the opportunity presented. You know, So whether it's sustaining a block, whether it's run a correct track by the back, a correct read by the back, whether it's a right alignment by a tight end or a receiver, whether it's a right decision by the quarterback. You know, there's all facets. So that's where we have to narrow this thing down, you know, because you're going to have those plays in the game where you're going to have guys aren't going to be it's not going to play perfect. No, it's never happened in the history of ball. But when you have that many to your point, that's losing opportunities to go get those points. So if we could, if you cut those opportunities down to just one or two again, that means you're you're successful in five or six. Then now you're you're doing exactly what you just talked about and where where we want to be. So the part that we're talking about being close, that's the part that's that's exciting about and the opportunity that we have in front of us that we feel like it is right there for us to go take. We've got to go take it now.
Speaker 3: And I love that mindset of go take it, and I think that's exactly hot. That's my theme of the week. Take go take it. Whatever happens happened, I don't care. I don't want to look at schedules down the road. And it's it's just that same exercise we joke about with Wada and Sylvia all the time, you know, making those selections, what the record's going to be, because who you're playing the week you're playing them, who's available, who's not, who's hurt, who's sick, who's got a personal problem. You just got to go out there and no matter what people suggest might be coming down the road, team wise, and the team team coming off fifty point loss, go and take it, especially at home. You got to go out and take.
Speaker 4: It right, you know, until you got to be ready every single time you take the field. And so when with Luke Eetzi talked about the different types of ways that you can approve a football team performance, that's all the case, you know, right read by the running backs, sustained block by an offensive lineman, a big time catch. But somebody out there they have to go and they have to make the big play. They have to make the whether it's an interception on defense, a tackle for loss that creates a fumble, a big catch that you know by Dj Moore that he hit him in stride and he's able to take it the remainder of the yards for a touchdown. Someone has to go out there and make a big play early in this game that ignites the crowd, that gets the crowd in the game, and then it's the Bears obligation to keep the crowd in the game. Last week when they came out after a time out and they had too much they too much time on the clock and they.
Speaker 6: Had a penalty right there.
Speaker 4: We know the analytics that Doug Cleddie tells us all the time about the chances of your drive to succeed if you have a penalty on first down is limited. So in every facet from the coaching on the sideline to the players on the field, you got to go out and take what your opportunities are offering you.
Speaker 3: Penalties and sacks on first down Killers Tom Killers can't have them all right. One final cut with Luke Ketzi on how in the world did Denver give up seventy points?
Speaker 5: No, Yeah, I think it's one of those things, like you said, it probably just got away from them in the end of it, because you see in the first couple of weeks, you know how talented they really are. I mean, the two edge rushers they have are really good. They have obviously one of the best corners in the league. And I think that game probably just got away from them. And obviously Miami's you know, they're clicking on all cylinders right now too, So that part of it was just I think just just became a little bit much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure did it. Ten yards of crock for this place. We'll get into that with Dave Logan, but coming up next after this break, we'll be joined by the Marcus Walker, the Bears fiery defensive end. He'll join us here on Bears Weekly on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 1: Is Bears Weekly with a voice of the Bears for twenty three years, Jeff jon on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 3: And this segment of Bears Weekly is brought to you by IGS Energy, Jeff Joniak and Tom Fair. So, you know, we got a couple of veterans, more than a couple on the edges here with yannikin Gockway. We've got Rashid Green he's come in and DeMarcus Walker, Big Tom. I like the fire he brings, so he in a Gockway while this team has only one sack, and that certainly has to change and hopefully it will very very soon. They are getting some pressures. They these two guys have combined for nine knockdowns and hurries each. It seems like a small number. But is this the chemistry of an offensive line that we're talking about on the defensive line as well, that has to happen immature.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, you need to have growth out of a guy like Dominique Robinson. Also, so you have to take guys that they've already developed a reputation that the quality pass rushers, and that's why Aniknokway is here with Chicago and he's been productive with every team that he's been on. But it's also the type of scheme that you use when you're able to trade in defensive lineman in and out. There's a certain freshness that they have to play with. But then you know the types of offenses they played so far this year, you didn't know what to expect out of Jordan Love, Baker Mayfield as a courageous guy that stands in the pocket, and.
Speaker 6: Patrick Mahomes is one of the best.
Speaker 4: Now you're facing Russell Wilson, who's an undersized quarterback that's getting a little older that you can attack in a lot of different ways. And that's where the scheming has to have an effect on the quarterback if you're really going to win the battle against the defensive line in this quarterback.
Speaker 3: One of the first things I do, and we'll get more involved in the discussion about the game itself and the game hands up on Russell, especially when he's in that hands up, maybe get a tipball. Not the tallest quarterback over time. And this conversely, despite giving up seventy points, this is a Denver team, their defensive line, they get their hands up, get a lot of hands on bat at balls. All right, let's let oh go ahead, go ahead ahead.
Speaker 4: No, I'm just going to say the snap count. It's kind of different, you know, because if it's a supportive crowd at home and Russell Wilson is using a silent count, you have to be really.
Speaker 6: Disciplined about following the football. Just like at home.
Speaker 4: You better get the advantage because you're going to be able to hear the snap count out of justin. So I think there's a little bit of different difference you're working with on the line of scrimmage for each team.
Speaker 3: All right, here is as promised. I get to know you if you will with Bears defensive end DeMarcus Walker.
Speaker 7: How do you describe yourself as a player?
Speaker 8: Different?
Speaker 2: Why? Just?
Speaker 8: I mean just from It's not just now, since I was a kid.
Speaker 9: I mean, I've always just and like the one that always was just if everyone went right, I went left one. You know, you know what I'm saying. Everybody pick one thing. I look at the other option just to see it. And honestly, I get that from both my parents, my mom and my dad, you know, they both have their type of personalities that to where you know they're different than I know for sure that rubed off on me.
Speaker 8: It's just I just like, I just like being different.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 9: Sometimes I get in my own little world, have my own little bubble moments. So you know, that's just that's just me.
Speaker 3: Well, you can't miss you as soon as you got here, right Like. I have stories of guys over the course of my career, rookie, mini camp or better. I'm like, oh my god, I mean Mike Brown. I don't know if you remember, Mike Brown was a bad man at safety. He was out there lining everybody up as a rookie, yelling at guys with the high pitched voice. I turned around, who's that yelling? And it's the Marcus Market. You make some noise right there, don't you.
Speaker 7: Is that part of just.
Speaker 3: Who you are as a player, And I mean maybe as a guy period, you like to like to be.
Speaker 8: Loud and proud.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean I have my moments when I'm quiet too, But then when I'm when I'm in a comfortable element and everyone around me like.
Speaker 8: Embraced me and just like hey just continued me.
Speaker 9: And you they're not going to have like those outbursts, you know those you know, those moments where I'm just generating energy just to you know, because I love what I do.
Speaker 8: I love my job.
Speaker 9: I really love my job, you know what I'm saying, and to where it's a blessing to be able to.
Speaker 8: Put this cleekson and be able to you know, play football.
Speaker 9: You know something I was on as a kid, you know, before football games on Sundays and after football games with Sundays going out to the field redoing you know, reenacting Devin Hester.
Speaker 8: You know, you know what I'm saying. So honestly, you know that's just me.
Speaker 9: You know, like I really love what I do, and when I every times I get out there, you know, I'm lead to be known.
Speaker 3: You know, there are guys that I talked to over the years. Some guys used to go out there.
Speaker 7: They play catch with themselves football.
Speaker 3: I remember doing it as a kid that wasn't blessed enough to be big enough or fast enough or good enough to play. But you know, you run out there after watching a game and you know where you grew up. I mean, Florida's you know, unbelievable, right, Yeah, you're a Florida kid.
Speaker 6: Right. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I was just down there by the way with Devin and watching him coach his youth football team.
Speaker 8: His kids are on the team, and.
Speaker 7: I was shocked, culture shocked for.
Speaker 3: Me, what how serious and what comes out of the miles of coaches, parents and the kids at.
Speaker 7: Nine, ten, eleven years old.
Speaker 3: But you know, I was told to me flat out simply Devin said, football is life in Florida.
Speaker 8: Yeah yeah, I mean just just since youth.
Speaker 9: You know, I could tell you as a kid, like some of them, get home, I wish my mom was here, come home, Push off my homework, you know what I'm saying, run outside, you know what I'm saying, taking off my shoes, everybody, all the kids got their shoes off and playing football in the socks, dirt nose.
Speaker 8: You know, continuely just to for him.
Speaker 9: Man as my mom gets so hot, you knowing my laundry. So, man, I mean, football down there is definitely a passion that in track. You know, it's everyone so fast, and you know that's definitely you know, I'm thankful to be from that great state.
Speaker 7: You had a great year last year.
Speaker 3: But I gotta go back to Denver because Vic Vangil kind of unlocked you a little bit, don't you agree, Like you you reached it was.
Speaker 7: A little bit more comfortable, yes, yeah, yeah, And why was that?
Speaker 3: I mean, you're a guy that's known as you know, you can rush the passion, certainly, but from.
Speaker 7: Every spot on the line. But what what did Vic unlocking you?
Speaker 9: I mean, so at Florida State my last two years, we were more of a red defense, and we played a little bit multiple multiple, and that's vixed the same exact philosophy. So from a football terminology standpoint, that was definitely easy to assimilate too. And Vegas the deeps of Maximond when he came over from you guys, I head up Eddie Goldman, like, you know, tell me about some guys, and he just had nothing but good things to say. So I mean, just having someone that you know, that loves ball, the same with how I love my job. I love ball, you know, having someone that just is really to you know, you know, I have no mercy on.
Speaker 8: The offense, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 9: I mean, when me and me and the coach on the same page, I mean, that's just we just turned into flulition.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 7: So you love football.
Speaker 3: But I if my story is right, you didn't get to play football right away and at the age of.
Speaker 8: Fifteen, how did you get that story?
Speaker 3: I do my homework now, your dad, Dale, Yeah, whoa tell me about all this?
Speaker 7: Because the football coach had to convince your dad.
Speaker 8: Dale Walker.
Speaker 9: So I mean the story, the backstory is when I was in middle school, Landmark Middle, I wound up.
Speaker 8: I was a three sport athlete, football, basketball, and track.
Speaker 9: Started on all of them, won you know, MVPs on track and basketball Most Improvement back I mean track and football, most Improvement basketball, and my dad he was ripping a run and take me up from practicing school all year long. Right after football, we got basketball season, right after the basketball season, got track season. So my dad was really you know, I think he was a little bit of time too. But at the same time, you know, he wanted me to take a break my ninth grade year because when I was coming in, I was going to play varsity. I wasn't playing jv. Even the varsity coach was like, you're not touching that. My dad was like, well, you're not touching him. He wanted my body to rest and give me some little bit more time developed. And then now within that spring of my freshman year, going into my sophomore year, he gave me the green light to go back, go back and play football. But I got in trouble that year when I didn't played football.
Speaker 8: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 9: I got a lot of trouble, you know, because I was just bored. You had too much time on my hands. And once you know, I was back, you know, putting on my leaks. You know, I was about focused.
Speaker 7: Dad wanted you to be a doctor.
Speaker 8: I don't know what a baseball player or something. I don't know.
Speaker 7: You know, you want to mentor kids?
Speaker 8: Yeah, right, why I think.
Speaker 9: After alls had been done, I would love to you know, be uh, be a very wealthy person and go back and coach uh uh junior high middle school because I think that's the that's the honey hole of all of us. I think we were really you know, especially as boys were men. But before we were boys, middle school was that era or like we started molding, molding started finale or identity. Different influencers start to you know, really influence us. And I think middle school is the pivotal age that to where if you get a good hand start, if you're plan a good seat in those kids from the jump then to where you know, no matter what situation, because they're gonna face that sometimes adversity growing up, you know, from their teens, their twenties, thirties, forties, you're gonna face that. So if you have those good heart lessons in the beginning, I believe those kids would definitely you know, have a better advantage.
Speaker 3: All about leadership, right, mentorship leadership go hand in hand. Do you feel you have natural leadership qualities and instincts?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean for a little bit.
Speaker 9: I mean for like a lot of my life, I was always told that and then you know, I guess I kind of always sometimes I put my set myself in the back seat to just learn from others. You know, I don't like this step on other people toes and sometimes I can get to in a moment to where I can do too much. So I have the personalities and sometimes the resiliency to take a step back and you know, absorb or read the room. And then I mean just naturally, like you know, when the other guys who people call either start looking at me for energy and I'm just like or to make a player and just all right, well I really am. So then I have to embrace that because I mean that's what comes to natural to me.
Speaker 3: A we're down the Broncos. When a team loses by fifty, is it a natural instinct to think, oh, come on, man, this is gonna be a layup. But then you put on the tape and you're seeing where some of the things went south.
Speaker 7: I mean, how does this team go into.
Speaker 3: This game not worried about what happened last week to themselves or the appoint.
Speaker 9: The Chicago Bears has to go on there with the nasi attitude because we didn't give a whoop about fifty. But we're both going three yeah, and to where at the end of the day, it's going to go down to who wanted more. Who's going to be the best person, the most nastiest defense, and the most selfless offense to be able to put up points. And you know, we have to play great football in all three phases. This is not a likely you know, a test. And you know I keep hearing that to where oh it might be down or they might be pissed, we're pissed, and to where you know, it's all about attitude.
Speaker 8: This Sunday.
Speaker 3: Well, you got that attitude and an attitude that has been prevalent throughout this organization for one hundred and four years. So you're walking through these halls and I know we probably talked to you about this during free agency, but when you see the Hall of Famers, the thirty number, I even stop in the hall way and see, you.
Speaker 8: Know, like to watch it.
Speaker 7: That does that seep into your soul a little.
Speaker 9: Bit, especially that player when you see everybody you know from all left to my right.
Speaker 8: I never there.
Speaker 9: I don't think there's having one time where I just walk straight down the hall in just middle left to the locker room. I mean, all a glimpse right, look left to see you know those great numbers, uh from I mean Papa Bet you know as the hellas to you know, Singletary, black guess buckets, you know.
Speaker 7: Ear Lacker.
Speaker 8: We can go on that.
Speaker 9: Yeah yeah, yeah, So it's an opportunity, you know what I'm saying, It's opportunity. And then obviously you know, gotta you gotta you know, you gotta get there. And you know, everyone talks about how this city is and how this ordnation is when we win, when we went big Yeah, Now you gotta just.
Speaker 8: Make it happen.
Speaker 3: And certainly you know what it's like because you're still feeling it as one of the eighty five Bears. Yep, they embrace and never forget. And that's where some of these guys heads are at Espercially the veterans. I run into this conversation all the time because this place is like a museum up here at Hallasall and they visualize it and see it and would project themselves in it every day.
Speaker 4: But you know one thing about this team this year, One of my biggest disappointments so far was one DeMarcus Walker got hurt in training camp, and I think he had a pulled cap or something, because he kind of brings an energy a lot like Steve McMichael did, where he's a little bit of a antagonistic voice out there and he's talking a little friendly trash to the offense as he's walking through stretching and stuff.
Speaker 6: And I really felt this is something this team needed.
Speaker 4: I like to hear DeMarcus Walker for the interview that you did with them. He tells you it gives everybody an opportunity.
Speaker 6: To learn a little bit more about him. But I like that instigation.
Speaker 4: I like that way to get everybody repped up, because he's not revving up himself, he's revving up everybody else. And I think that's important guy that you have to have on a team.
Speaker 6: So I wish success for him.
Speaker 3: All Right, we're gonna take a break. Coming up next Dave Logan, the voice of the Denver Broncos. We'll join him and preview the Bears and Broncos Sunday right here on ESPN one thousand and The Bears Radio.
Speaker 1: Network is Bears Weekly with a voice of the Bears for twenty three years, Jeff Joni on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 3: Second Bears Weekly is sponsored by CDW People to Get It with Tom Bayer, Jeff Joniyak, get you ready for Bears, Broncos, and the longtime voice of the Broncos Dave Logan kind enough to join us here tonight on a night he has a high school football game. Looking to go six and a zero. Yeah, that's right. He coaches high school football just like our Jason McKee does at Mundoline Carmel here in the Chicago area. It's cool that you coach high school football. You guys are making a huge impact as ex players.
Speaker 10: No, I appreciate that, Jeff, and great to catch up with you and Tom. This is this is my thirty first year as a head coach in high school, and you know, I've really enjoyed it for sure.
Speaker 4: Hey, Dave, thirty first year as a head coach. Have you ever given up seventy points or scored seventy points?
Speaker 2: Oh? Lord, the answer to that is no.
Speaker 10: You know, I've listened almost a decade as a player in the NFL, and now this is thirty four years calling Broncos games. So that's what forty four years. I've never seen a game. Not only have I not been involved in a game as a player or a broadcaster, I've never even seen a game NFL game like that.
Speaker 2: I mean, that was it was.
Speaker 10: It was almost to the point of absurdity where you you couldn't really figure out how to describe accurately for people listening what you were seeing. I mean, they the Dolphins averaged ten point two yards per snap every single snap in that game.
Speaker 4: So, so, Dave, what's your Wednesday morning message to the.
Speaker 10: Team in terms of the Broncos.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, if you're if you're in a coaching position, not at high school.
Speaker 11: But you're at a Bronco level. As you know.
Speaker 4: I've heard a message delivered by Ditko when we've gotten a butt kicking.
Speaker 11: But what would your message be to this group of guys.
Speaker 10: Well, I think if you're talking about Wednesday, that'd be the first time you've had a chance to see him more than likely since the game. And you know, when you when you play like that, I'm I'm a believer that you have to own it.
Speaker 2: I mean you can't.
Speaker 10: You know, there's some coaches that I think when a game sort of gets away from them and it's early in the season, they might not even.
Speaker 8: Look at the tape.
Speaker 10: Right we would look at the tape for sure, and I think you have to be accountable to each guy in that room, and that would be that would be part of my message.
Speaker 2: I mean, when we watch this game, are you are you playing.
Speaker 10: To the level that we need to play here in terms of being a playoff because they thought going to the season their playoff caliber team. And I would challenge every single player and coach and myself, did you do everything possible before the game? And then in the game you grade yourself and you tell yourself you don't have to tell me, look at the guy in the mirror and say, was this the absolute best effort I could give in that game? And the answer for many of us in this room is no. So it's done. We got to move on, and we have an opportunity to do something about that in our preparation this week.
Speaker 2: And getting ready to go to Chicago on Sunday.
Speaker 3: Dave Logan, our guest here on Bears Weekly, a longtime voice the Denver Broncos and a ten year NFL veteran player also with the Cleveland Browns, made his name as a wide receiver there for that team, that cardiac kid team. Will talk about that in a second, but Tom and I have had some tough games over our twenty seven years together, and you know Sunday was. But there was a time under Mark Trestsman the Bears lost back to back games to the Patriots and Packers and it was just a non competitive situation, so calling the game was hard. I had a mutual friend of the business, Lenn Casper, the voice of the White Sox, called me up, said hey, you got to reset. Remember your job is to call plays. You're also an ex NFL player who's a high school, prominent high school football coach in this country, let alone the Denver area. How did you call that game? And how hard was it?
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know, Jeff, it's I mean, every game, and you've done this a long time too.
Speaker 2: Every game, to me is its own unique challenge, and you try to.
Speaker 10: I'm always cognizant of trying to be accurate in the way I describe what I see, and also you've got to be honest in what you described. Yes, you're the hometown announcer, and yes you have Bronco fans listening, but I'm always trying to be honest in terms of the assessment of the team. And so, you know, they kick it off, Miami goes seventy five yards and three plays seven to nothing. Broncos go three and out, they punted away, Miami goes whatever seven seventy three and eight that it's fourteen nothing. But then the Broncos put together a drive and they go down a score as fourteen seven. So the optimistic part of me says, okay, you know what they're going to get back in this game. And so Miami scores again. I mean, Denver stopped Miami one time. Miami went forward on their own thirty three. The minus thirty three, fourth and one didn't get it. Broncos took over, and at that point they're down twenty one to ten. And so I said, here's an opportunity right here for the Broncos to get back in this game.
Speaker 2: You take this. You got a short field thirty three yards, you go down to score.
Speaker 10: It's twenty one seventeen, and no, you haven't stopped him yet, but you're down twenty one seventeen. All right, McGlinchey jumps off side on first down. They lose seven yards and three plays. Not only do they not get a long field goal, they have to punt the ball after starting on thirty three. Miami goes right down the scores, then Denver turns it over. It's thirty five thirteen at halftime. So I'm thinking, all right, is there an opportunity for the Broncos to get back in this And I kept waiting for that to happen. But they had two interceptions. I mean, they had had three turnovers. Cortland fumbled the ball twice, and then Russell had a pass deflective line of scrimmage and was picked. And then once it got to whatever forty something to thirteen. You knew at that point the game is over. And then it became a parent like, Okay, Miami's not slowing down here, Denver's not stopping them at all. Right, the second and thirteen guys scored the last couple of touchdowns, and then it becomes embarrassing. And so I'm sure my call on the fourth quarter, I felt like one of the fans that was watching maybe the biggest train wreck from a defensive standpoint that I have ever seen. And so my play by play and my sort of discussed with how they were playing, I'm sure was reflected in my call.
Speaker 4: Hey, Dave, so let's talk about the Bears and Denver. When you look at two quarterbacks that are completely opposite ends of the spectrum, one had already have what some consider a Hall of Fame career and another guy has the athleticism and the potential to have a long NFL career.
Speaker 11: Where do you think the advantage lies in this game?
Speaker 4: Will Russell coming to an opponent stadium that's you know, at the drop of the hat, or if the Bears have three two consecutive three and outs could turn against the Bears, or the dynamic athleticism of Justin Fields. What do you think the quarterback position is going to offer each team?
Speaker 10: You know, Tom, I would say this about the Broncos, and I suspect and you guys would know better than I, but I suspect this is true for the Bears as well. The Broncos are a fragile team right now, so they need they need things to go well.
Speaker 2: Because what happened against.
Speaker 10: Miami, even though they didn't give up seventy in any game last year, but it was reminiscent of what happened to them last year. And so I will say this, I think Russell has actually played pretty well in his three games, and so I look at if there's an edge in terms of quarterback play. And I was a big Justin Fields fan coming out of Ohio State, but I would give the edge to Russell because he's played better than at any point last year.
Speaker 2: I think the key will be which team.
Speaker 10: I mean, both these teams look at their opponent and say, I mean, at least as a former player, I would think they'd say, fellas, if we don't win this one, if we can't beat these guys, then this year may be really really difficult. The issue is both teams feel that way and they're playing each other in the same game. I mean, I'm sure the Bears look at the Broncos and say, they just gave up seventy and we get these dudes at home. We got to find a way to win. The Broncos look at the Bears and say, well, I mean, this is a game. We better find a way to win our first game of the year. So I think it's going to come down to which team avoids making a crucial mistake. And then also, I think from our perspective the two broadcaster teams, I think it'll be interesting to see the resolve both or one of those teams has when they make that mistake. You can see in body language, you can see in a lot of different things if that team has said, oh man, here we go again.
Speaker 3: I don't know how well you know him yet Sean Payton, but do you think he's given his experience and success in New Orleans over the years remaking that outfit more than a couple of times to become a winning franchise? Is he good at insulating his players from the distraction of what is I mean? I tuned into Denver Radio all week just to hear and take the temperature. My goodness, they want to fire everybody, so the player's got to be feeling that too. But do you think he's a veteran coach is good at insulating his players from that, because we all know coaches flushed after one day ask the players to do the same. But this one seems to sting a lot more. But it is a week to week league.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt about that, Jeff.
Speaker 10: I think you know, when he came on and I interviewed him, I get the interview him before he goes before members of the press, and frankly, I thought maybe he wouldn't do the interview and that would have been okay, because I was struggling to think, like, how I could you know, question, can you possibly ask an NFL head coach when he just got beat seventy to twenty. But he came on and I said, hey, Sean, this is obviously a tough one. I'm not exactly sure, excuse me where to start? And he was great about it. He said, listen, this is embarrassing, totally unacceptable. He said, Normally at times, you know, we try to move on, but we're not going to be able to move on from this one. We have to we have to look at this one and analyze exactly what happened. And I thought he made a telling comment, he said, and he said, I've got to look at the tape and figure out are we putting our guys in positions to be successful. I took that as a direct reflection on the defense. But to his credit, he's a smart guy. He immediately then said, defensively and offensively.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think he's insulated the players.
Speaker 10: But he's an old school coach, Jeff in that he's much more old school a la a Bill Parcell than he is new school.
Speaker 2: I'll uh, let's say a Mike McDaniel. So I would guess I'm not at.
Speaker 10: The facility with those players in the meetings, but I would guess this week has not not been all that comfortable for players at Douve Valley.
Speaker 11: So, Dave, what side of the ball can play better?
Speaker 10: Well, I mean, good lord, right, but you have Russell, you know, Yeah, I mean when you give up seven hundred and twenty six yards and seventy points, you miss almost thirty tackles in a game, you have the body language in that game of a team that cannot wait for the game to get over. I think if if you have a competitive bunch, if you have competitive fire as an NFL athlete, you better come out Sunday and play. So I think the Broncos defense is not nearly obviously as bad.
Speaker 2: As they have played. But I'll tell you this, they didn't play.
Speaker 10: I mean, they played okay against the Raiders, right, gave up seventeen points, couldn't get to win, but that was seventeen points the Raiders had on six possessions. They did not play well against the Commanders. Sam Howe looked like the reincarnation of fran Tarkington. And then the next week the Commanders go home and get the breaks beat off by Buffalo. So I think the defense has a lot to prove. I think there's a lot at stake in this game. In the next couple of games for the Broncos defense, in particular, the offense has got to stop with self inflicted wounds. They've got to stop turn the ball over and jumping off sides. And the margin of air for the Broncos offense is really thin. They're able to move the ball. I think Sewn's done a nice job in some of the schemes that he's implemented.
Speaker 2: I think Russell has.
Speaker 10: Looked much better in the pocket than at any time last year. But they don't have aside from Marvin Mims, the rookiet of Oklahoma, they're not a real explore team. They've got some injuries. They're missing Dulsae to tight end, who's a really big threat in the passing game. So they've got to play clean football and they haven't been able to do that in any of the three games.
Speaker 3: Well, I think the pressure on both teams for this one oh three is tough. Three game losing streaks any point in any season sounds off alarms. So we got it both in Chicago and Denver. Dave, we will see you on Sunday. Make sure you say hello. As a quick aside, I did a quick search to find out how many years he was broadcasting, and the first thing that pops up was a Dave Logan Cleveland Brown signed nineteen eighty two tops football card. And I think the price was one hundred and eighty two bucks or something like that. Yeah, but then but then just for kicks, just for kicks, and it was framed and PSA graded right if you collect cards. But then I look up Tom. There are no cards, but there's a autographed mini helmet super Bowl twenty Tom Fair, authenticated by Beckett A hundred. It's been reduced from one seventy five ninety nine to one fifty seven nine. Come on, fellas, Hey.
Speaker 10: Here's here's the deal. One of us in this conversation as a Super Bowl ring and the other two guys do not. And so Tom Tom is the leader in the clubhouse in that regard.
Speaker 6: You got it.
Speaker 3: We'll see you Sunda day. Thanks for taking some time. Good luck tonight in your high school game.
Speaker 2: Hey, thank you. Great to catch up with you, guys. See you Sunday, all right, Dave, thanks.
Speaker 3: Back with more, Back with more on Bears Weekly after this time out.
Speaker 1: Excus Bears Weekly with a portion of the Bears for twenty three years.
Speaker 2: Jeff j on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 3: Want VIP access to every Bears home game, exclusive seeding, sideline credits and more. Now available to get the ultimate VIP fan package this season of visiting Chicago Bears vip dot com and have us all. This is Bears Weekly, Tom Fair, Jeff Jioniac injury report today, Tommy no practice again, today. For Josh Blackwell has got this hamstring, did come back last week, but it flares up again. Eddie Jackson hamstring, Jalen Johnson hamstring, did not practice, Mercedes Lewis had his usual day of rest, and Travis Homer as an ankle. He's limited today. Full practice though for Tyreek Stevenson. For Denver Frank Clark one of their veterman off pass rushers, Josie Jeweler starting a middle linebacker, and Mike Purcell their backup defensive tackle, did not practice. Jerry Judy, probably their number one receiver and a speed guy. Justin Simmons, an all Pro safety, limited today. I would expect those guys to play any thoughts.
Speaker 4: So, Eddie Jackson's on the injury report for a hamstring, You said that is correct? Okay, So it's not a foot injury.
Speaker 3: Says hamstring.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, I'm confused about that because the last time we saw him in action he left the game with a foot issue and apparently did he go out there and try to work his foot in practice and then tweak the hamstring or But I don't know.
Speaker 6: It's a bit thing though.
Speaker 3: Is the secondary still remains battered and bruised. Yeah, so that's it. So I'm interested, And you brought this up Tevin Jenkins. What's he doing right now? Chris Morgan today, because the offensive coaches met with the media today. Again, as we said many times before, they alternate every week. Next week will be defense and so on and so forth, and he said, yeah, he's doing some work on the side and so forth. So this next week would be his ability to come on a short week. Would this be feasible to play against Washington in your opinion? Or do you give him another week and just take that extra ten days before the next week six game?
Speaker 4: You know, the thing that caught me by surprises At the end of the Kansas City game, I saw Tevin running off the field and he was running as quickly as you need to run as an offensive lineman.
Speaker 6: So to me, I think that he's.
Speaker 4: On the you know, his arrows pointed up. And but then how would they reconfigure the offensive line? Would Cody go back to center, go to left guard, or you know, I just don't know. And you know, Chris Morgan will have his hands full full trying to determine who are the best five to put out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been a juggling act. I managed to get a couple of questions in with Chris today off of Tom's theme. Tom's been telling me and he said it on Our Bears et cetera podcast this week, which you could hear right now where if you get your podcasts. Hey, as an offensive lineman, this is your team right, It's like put it on our shoulders type of mentality. And I traveled that path with coach Morgan earlier today.
Speaker 12: Every offensive mind you think has the mentality, Hey, they asked us to put the game on our shoulders, do it, We'll do it. Is this group matured enough and ready enough to say, hey, go out there, it's going to be on us today.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I think that for sure. I do.
Speaker 13: And you know, whatever it takes to win, and we have not got there this season, so you know, whatever we need to do to help the team win, I think those guys are ready to do it. Really. You know, you want their best every day. You know, you don't want to get up or get down. You want guys to compete at a championship level every day. Like that's the goal. That's the mindset. We're not saving anything.
Speaker 3: Right, So you don't want to dangle a carrot for a game you want.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean I want. I want guys to go out and give everything in their tank every day. And I know there's you know, less in your tank on certain days. You know it looks different, but you know that's the goal. That's the mindset. You know, You're you're worried about how good can you be?
Speaker 6: You know, max in it out?
Speaker 3: So about you fiery kind of coach?
Speaker 8: Are you that way?
Speaker 13: No, I'm a fiery coach. Oh yeah, we like to have fun. We like to go hard. But yeah, I mean, you know, I want to coach guys with juice and we want to play with juice.
Speaker 12: And absolutely you think you have a lot of guys that make the makeup of yourself in that kind of regard.
Speaker 13: Yeah, we got everything we need in there, so we got everything we need.
Speaker 4: Big job thoughts, you know that, Chris Morgan says exactly right. I think everybody, including the head coach, they are the offensive line position coach. They all have to have the same mentality. And that's one thing about offensive lineman. They've always been.
Speaker 6: The road graders, the workers.
Speaker 4: They you know, Coach Stanfeld always used to say, if you win the game, you're not gonna get any credit. If you lose the game, you're gonna get all the blame. And so that's something that every lineman lives with.
Speaker 3: All Right, one segment to go, Bears Weekly wrapping up here on ESPN one thousand and the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Bears Weekly with the voice of the Bears for twenty three years, Jeff Jonyik on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 3: This segment of Bears Weekly brought to you by Athletical Physical Therapy. Visit Athletico dot com to requested in clinic or virtual appointment. It's start feeling better tomorrow. Final moments here with Tom Fair Jeff Joniak, getting you said for Bears, Broncos back at Soldier Field noon starts and pregame coverage far ours before and four hours after. So a lot to discuss, obviously with the Bears every single week. Tom a couple of nuggets. First of all, Howard defenses now looking at Justin Fields a week earlier, it kind of just, you know, laid back a little bit. The Cavas City Chiefs decided to spy him a little bit. Andrew Ginoko, the quarterback coach on what he thinks is coming.
Speaker 14: The cool thing about this league is you get to go against some of the brightest minds in the world, a defensive coordinator, and so they're spending their week in their night trying to you know, stop what you do, and you're finding your best way to get your players in the best situation to make plays. So, you know, we're always looking at things, and without going into specifics because again I can't give you the call sheet yet, but but you know, we're always trying to find ways to put him in position to make plays. You know, whether it's his arm, whether it's his feet, whether it's something later in the down, you know that's something that that's we go into a lot of detail trying to find those things. So yeah, well we'll try to CounterPunch just what they do to stop him.
Speaker 3: What's the best plan?
Speaker 4: Again, I think you need Justin throwing out a variety of positions right now with the offensive line that has shown as susceptible to giving up pressure.
Speaker 6: And it's not necessarily pressure that gets to the quarterback.
Speaker 4: It's pressure that condenses the pocket that makes Justin think quicker than he needs to. So if you could use his athleticism to be a threat. You can open up a variety of possibilities for the different receivers you can use and the different throwing platforms he can use.
Speaker 3: All right, Who's winning Detroit at Green Bay Tonight?
Speaker 6: Detroit?
Speaker 4: Why David buktiaris put on ir Their offensive line has a lot of issues. I think you know Detroit right now has a really aggressive attitude and they're willing to take chances that are unpredictable.
Speaker 3: All right, Tom, I'll see it five in the morning.
Speaker 6: On some Yeah, right, I'll be there.
Speaker 3: How about a win? Big time? How about a win? Thank you so much everybody for listening. That's going to do it for us. Thank you to DeMarcus Walker and Dave Logan, the voice of the Broncos. Thank you, Eric Ostrowski, Jay can't do, Kendrick Smith, Dan Barrillian, Joran treadup for Tom. There, I'm Jeff Joniac. Chris Black is next. This has been Bears Weekly on the new Radiome of the Bears ESPN Chicago.
Speaker 1: Good night, everybody, Thank you for listening to the Chicago Bears Network presentation of Bears Weekly, hosted by the Mayra Bearsville Jeff Juniac and Surfmaster Tom Thayer.
Speaker 2: Podcasts are available
Speaker 1: On the Chicago Bears Official Bears Weekly has been brought to you by Apple Podcast bet Rivers, Hi Gens Energy, and Miller Lite