Speaker 1: Writer.
Speaker 2: I did Magical rewind for Zombies too. Oh yes, it was so much fun.
Speaker 3: That's great, It really was. It was great. Yeah, that's it's such a good franchise. Is you do another one right there?
Speaker 1: Coming out July tenth?
Speaker 3: Yep? Is that what it is? Yeah?
Speaker 2: June soth, No, July tenth, And I had said May twenty third, and then I was like, well I wouldn't get to it until July tenth.
Speaker 4: Anyway. Also, did you guys see Wicked? No, the movie? Okay, well it was so funny because indeed loved it and he wanted me to watch it with him, and I actually ended up only watching the first like half, but I was like, wow, this it's it's good.
Speaker 3: It was great.
Speaker 4: But I was like, it's also the Descendants, like remember It's like yes, like those Disney movies have actually become like what Wicked is. Yeah, it was like the same thing. I was like, it looks like a Disney movie or like an old Disney TV. Wow, what's the word I'm looking for? Disney Channel moviecom? Yeah? Yeah, I was like, wow, the dcoms of like because when I don't know, I feel like when we were.
Speaker 3: And they were not also telling Danielle.
Speaker 5: Zombies four had a budget of forty million dollars for d com. I mean, it's crazy for a d coom where that we were doing somewhere the budget was like eight dollars and a half of back Eminem's go make a movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the regular and the kids are so talented kids. They're all like in their twenties now. But like that first Zombies, I was blown away by their time.
Speaker 3: And none of them were Disney Channel stars.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: That's the other thing that was so different about this franchise is none of them were like they're throwing in all their stars.
Speaker 3: It was just yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: It was great.
Speaker 2: I love it so much and I can't wait for the fourth. I've got a my friend, Malika, who is one of the kids I directed from Villains of Valley View. He is in Zombies four, And when they made that announcement that he was going to I.
Speaker 1: Was like, Malachi, you're gonna be insolved.
Speaker 4: Did Sabrina ever do one?
Speaker 3: She did?
Speaker 1: Yeah, she did some Adventures in Babysitting.
Speaker 5: Which was their hundredth dcome ever they did. She did Adventures and babysits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, she did adventures and babysitting.
Speaker 3: And you never want Danielle never did one.
Speaker 4: No, I mean I did the ABC. You know, I did Summertime Switch, which was an ABC.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, right, yeah, And.
Speaker 4: Then they offered me one the next year and I turned it down and I never got an offer again anymore.
Speaker 3: Do you remember the one they offered you? I'm so curious.
Speaker 4: No, I have no idea. I just know that I it was. It was partly material because I remember I had not had a good time on Summertime Switch. I was just like, I don't want to do this. It was also just not wanting I wanted to have the summer like I remember correctly. It was like I just wanted to have some free time because we were we knew we were coming back from both.
Speaker 5: They never asked me I, which doesn't make any doesn't make any sense to me, doesn't make any sense to me.
Speaker 3: I'm amazed that you are now not the go to dcom mom.
Speaker 1: I mean, why am I not?
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I see, I think I'm perfect dcom dad age, and so you and I as decom parents.
Speaker 2: Listen, we may not be able to get Hallmark to give us a movie, but maybe we could get Disney to give.
Speaker 1: Us a movie.
Speaker 5: I think as long as we don't have to sing or dances, gonna sings.
Speaker 2: Probably don't listen with technology these days. I'm willing to sing because they'll make me sound good.
Speaker 3: Technology isn't going to do for my dancing. I can tell you that true world. I'm daniel Fishel, I'm right or Strong, and I'm Wilfordelle.
Speaker 2: If our listeners have taken anything away from season six so far, it might be that some of us were already what we've called out of body. Some scenes, you're seeing Sean and Tabanga on screen, they're saying the lines, but Writer and Danielle they're somewhere else completely, most likely reading a book or talking to their crush on the phone, or maybe even reading a book while talking to their crush on the phone. Who knows, well, I do know one thing. Some episodes, some scenes of Boy Meets World are completely new to us. We have never seen them. We weren't in them. We have no idea they exist. Some have live bears, some don't. And this week we are bringing on a guest star, someone who was there for our recent laps. We stumbled upon she was great in the season six episode Cutting the Cord, playing Sean's new possible girlfriend stuck on a double date, while unfortunately Angela was just too fresh on his mind. And yes, we are going to learn more about the karaoke scene. She began her career as a child prodigy, dancing at three, playing the cello at seven, and performing in local plays at the thirteen. Lucky for us, she would come to Hollywood for acting, appearing on California Dreams, Step by Step, Pacific Blue, and Zoe Duncan, Jack and Jane. She'd also continue showing off her dance skills and some pretty massive movies that we will talk to her about. But you might know her from the Office, where she appeared in one of my favorite episodes, Andy's play in their local production of Sweeney Todd as Missus Lovett. Just the best, So welcome to Pod meets World. Not only the best singing voice in that Boy Meets World episode, but also the best singing voice on this Pod Meets World episode.
Speaker 1: It's Heather Marie Marsden.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I can hear you.
Speaker 6: Well, you know you gotta make an entrance.
Speaker 1: I love it. Thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 2: We just recently watched Cutting the Cord, the season six episode that you guest starred on, and you were great.
Speaker 1: We have some questions because.
Speaker 2: It appears as though Rider and I especially have blocked out some things from this episode, like the episode, like I.
Speaker 4: Remember, you literally didn't remember anything, Danielle, Yeah, I remember, I remember working with Heather. I remember singing being nervous like I did. Remember.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you remembered some feelings of pressure and stress, and so we're hoping Heather can enlighten us maybe by telling us a little bit more about your experiences that week.
Speaker 1: Is this too much pressure for me?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, great?
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, Rider, I feel so bad that this was such a stressful thing for you, And I wanted to say that you guys were kind enough to send a link. Yeah, but I didn't need that because.
Speaker 3: I have as Yes, what did they charge you for?
Speaker 1: How much did they charge you exactly?
Speaker 6: Let's see, Well, it's a company that I'm sure probably doesn't exist anymore in the valley, but they probably charged what twenty five dollars? Do you think for taping the air?
Speaker 4: Do you still have a VCR to be able to watch that?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 1: Good for you.
Speaker 6: I'm in the of transferring all my VHS tapes to digital and it's mortifying.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but this wasn't good. So you writer, when was the last time you had seen the episode?
Speaker 6: Yesterday?
Speaker 2: Well before that, before we asked you to watch it, when the last time you.
Speaker 1: Had seen it? Watch it every day?
Speaker 6: I watch it every day. I can play all the roles. I will say that episode I learned, you know, I'm a mom now, and I learned more about giving birth from Will's storyline, Oh you're welcome.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh yeah, and I used to hearing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hears that all the time. He's very, very skilled with the child labor.
Speaker 4: I am.
Speaker 3: I'm a lamas DA coach, so very skilled.
Speaker 6: So funny. First of all, I don't know if you know, and I don't know what order of scripts you guys got, but when I auditioned for the role, the role is actually very different. She was a very quiet, subdued girl who's sag war the song that you say oh in like crazy voices. Oh.
Speaker 4: So the joke was like Sean's dating a crazy yeah, crazy girl. Oh my god.
Speaker 6: I remember something about they said, you know, be like you're you like to go to church, and you're very demure and everything, and I just and then you know what you know? And they did all these like they wanted to have crazy voices for the song, which I wonder why.
Speaker 2: Changing Maybe though the note was, can we not have it be that the girl he's on the date with is crazy or seems weird, that she's actually lovely and he just can't get over you know what I mean? Like, I can see that being an important note that we shouldn't put him on a date with someone who people are like, well, why would he like this girl when he's when he clearly could be with Angela?
Speaker 1: So I can I can.
Speaker 2: See how they wanted to see your chops in the room and to know whether or not you could play comedy, but ultimately they wanted you to be a more believable, truly datable partner for Sean right.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, funny thing at that time, I was brought in so many I played so many girls who got dumped on TV. I thought if I sat and counted, I just might be sad. But I was brought in so many times to be the new girl, or the new date, or the one to make the other one jealous and et cetera, et cetera. And then I've been dumped on TV a lot.
Speaker 5: Who's the most famous, not person, but TV character that you've ever been dumped by?
Speaker 6: Well, I was just thinking about the fact that this is so ridiculous. I do you guys remember suddenly Susan of course Shields?
Speaker 3: Yes, so lovely.
Speaker 6: By the way, So, so she was dating, Uh the actor was rob Estie's right, Their characters were dating. So they broke up and then I was the new girlfriend. That was like, wow, uh that's Brooke Shields. Yeah, uh okay, but then he dumped me too.
Speaker 2: Okay, So rob Esti's most famous character is the most famous dumper, so dumper.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so so that one.
Speaker 1: For So you sang War for your audition?
Speaker 6: Correct? And what is it good for getting a job on Boy Meets World?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Absolutely everything? Say yeah, so you got the job based on that performance.
Speaker 4: They didn't bring you back into singing something else?
Speaker 6: No, wow, I know, so that was so different but so different.
Speaker 2: But did they know you were a singer? Did they know you could really sing other than the War example? Did they know you had an incredible voice?
Speaker 6: Oh, you're so sweet? Danielle, Can I just put you right here. That's a really sweet thing to say. It's around. It's so true, Thank you. I don't know. I mean, at that time, I was I was recording all the time, and I was performing all the time as a singer. So I'm sure on my resume and I'm saying on TV and film a lot.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I'm.
Speaker 6: In the room it came up. But I just remember that and then getting the script and going, oh my gosh, I'm a totally different girl.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, geez, that's great.
Speaker 2: So you had already made a brief stop on TGIF in Step by Step.
Speaker 1: But were you when you got the audition for Boy Me World? Were you aware of what Boy Meets World was?
Speaker 6: I remember you guys were everywhere at the time.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, but.
Speaker 2: You weren't from You didn't watch the show yourself, but you were aware of Like, okay, I know that show exists.
Speaker 1: I've seen these faces. Yes, okay, oh for sure.
Speaker 3: Who dumped you on Step by Step?
Speaker 6: You know now that you're bringing it up. I hope I wasn't dumped on Step by Step. I don't I don't think I was dumped.
Speaker 1: Up Okay, okay, you got to do something totally awesome.
Speaker 6: I got to do I got to stretch.
Speaker 1: Oh great, nice.
Speaker 2: Well, as we mentioned, your history with music is pretty mind blowing.
Speaker 1: You grew up in Detroit, You.
Speaker 2: Began dancing at three, playing the cello at seven, and you played in the Detroit Civic Symphony Orchestra.
Speaker 1: Were your parents musical? How did you How were you just so musical at such a young age.
Speaker 6: Well, first of all, the Civic is like a feeder orchestra, Okay, like a training orchestra, so you know, you do. I did have to do those blind auditions. I don't know if you've ever seen them in a movie, but you you play your instrument behind a wall and so they're just listening, they can't see, are.
Speaker 3: Trying to diminish the orchestra? You were part of no orchestra, But I just I want to be clear.
Speaker 6: I was not part of the professional Detroit Symphony orchestra. The Civic was like the Detroit Civic, So I just I just want to I never got that good, but I did have the blind audition experience, which is absolutely.
Speaker 1: And so what happened with that? You get up there?
Speaker 6: I got into the civic. So I played in that for a couple of years and and then you know, do.
Speaker 3: You remember the piece? Do you remember what piece you were? You were your audition piece was with the cello.
Speaker 7: I'm curious, No, fair enough, you know, actually had war now it was, but then they changed it when I got there.
Speaker 6: Actually I still do play live. It's fun. I play in a band and I pull it out every once in a while, but I play with people. I sing with people who are much better cellis than me. So you know, you let people do what.
Speaker 2: They do, right, Yeah? Yeah, but how does a seven year old pick up the cello? Like, both literally and figuratively, it seems rather heavy. But also, how were your parents' musical How did that come to you?
Speaker 6: Yeah? So both of my parents were public school teachers, and they were art teachers. So my mom was yay public art school teachers. Yeah, we need you, we love you. So my mom was taught band and orchestra and choir, and then my dad was a theater teacher, and they had art and drafting, photography. That goes back, but so I grew up in that environment. But it was definitely my mom had me and my sister both pick an instrument at that age. So I picked cello. I just like the sound of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I still do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, me too.
Speaker 6: Do you do you play?
Speaker 8: Will?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 5: I have no musical talent whatsoever, but I'm I've always been drawn to the cello. And I think the first time I heard yo yo ma do box prelude, I would, That's where I was like, just it sucked in.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it was.
Speaker 6: It is.
Speaker 3: It's an absolutely gorgeous instrument. It speaks to me.
Speaker 5: I don't know why it sounds so crazy, but it always has. It absolutely speaks to me.
Speaker 1: The cello.
Speaker 6: It's beautiful. Well, it's it's very similar to the human voice, so I think we kind of absorb interesting, yeah, or we relate to it or something.
Speaker 2: So how do you transition then from cello to TV? What's the what's the transition? When do you become an actor?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 4: My gosh?
Speaker 6: So when well, really, in high school, you know, musicals were my thing, and I was better at that than my cello. There were many people much better than me at that, so I started I started getting into acting in high school. But my first professional job was a was Sweet charity tour, which is a musical. Probably nobody even now is anymore. It's an old Fosse show. But that was my first, my first professional job, if you don't count me thinking that I was a professional, like in preschool standing in the aisle at kmart singing white people. In my brain, I thought, I am supposed to be here. I'm going to do a show for you know, you'll get the blue Light special. I will sing a song from Annie.
Speaker 1: So how old were you then when you did the musical?
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, okay, so times were different. I was seventeen. I graduated a year early from school from from school, so anyway, so I was seventeen. I was, and I we didn't.
Speaker 4: Have like.
Speaker 6: Those permits and stuff that kid that child, you know actors have now and stuff. So I auditioned. I got the job. My mom said go ahead, and I kid you not. I carried around a permission slip case I got injured, because you can't treat a minor at the hospital, you know, so I had. This was before cell phones, So yeah, I had a permission slip and a fake ID.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, so that you could get treated in case, just.
Speaker 5: In case, yeah, in case you needed a hospital once to drink. It was in case you needed to like set a forearm or something. You have a fake ID.
Speaker 3: God, that's so funny.
Speaker 6: Isn't that funny? And I think about it now, I think that is so ridiculous. That wouldn't even that. What would that fly? I don't even know, but.
Speaker 3: It was back then it would have.
Speaker 5: I mean, we talk about some stories here of things we did or of getting injured on the set or stuff like that, where it's kind of it's just a whole different ballgame nowadays than when it was.
Speaker 3: Back in the day.
Speaker 4: It was kind of being like will will You were never carted for cigarettes at yet, which is twelve, Yeah, and then a Boy Meets World said maybe you shouldn't be smoking kid. Now, I guess they did say it sometimes, right, some people said it, but.
Speaker 1: Maybe in a judgmental way.
Speaker 6: Not so.
Speaker 5: The only person, the only person who would do it all the time was Bill. And it was always just because I kept him in my breast pocket. He would always, I've told the story, he would just tap them and go, ah nice, keep them right near your heart. And he would do that every single so whenever that's just tap it right next to your heart, that's all he would do.
Speaker 3: Uh so, yeah, but no one. I don't recall anybody ever.
Speaker 5: Saying you should hey at sixteen, you shouldn't be smoking the set of Boymen like that.
Speaker 3: Never happened, Never happened. Yeah, different times, different times.
Speaker 1: So at seventeen, when did the musical Sweet Charity?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay?
Speaker 2: And then and you're living in Detroit, do you when do you make the trek to Hollywood?
Speaker 6: So somewhere in there, somewhere in there. I moved to New York first, and then and because I wanted to be on Broadway, and then I ended up making my way to Los Angeles. And you know, at that time, you they didn't like it if you had theater, especially musical theater on your resume.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So I remember my first manager, she took them, She took all that stuff off, and so that I could start getting into film and TV, which I was totally interested in. And that's and that's how it happened. But the first job I did in LA was a chorus line, so, you know, and I didn't have a car, and I had a ten speed bike and I would ride my bike to the theater and then stand on the line in chorus line, they call it the line and you and there's no intermission, so you're standing on the line for two hours, and you know, my quads were like huge from dancing and then riding my bike back to the housing that they gave us for the theater.
Speaker 2: Did you then, when you get the audition for Boy Meets World and you book the job and you now are working in Hollywood, did anyone ever mention to you whether or not you were related to Jason Marsden.
Speaker 6: Oh, my gosh, okay, so uh Jason and I. So Jason was on Step by Step yes, and.
Speaker 1: On Boy Meets World.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right, he did a bunch of episodes.
Speaker 6: Okay, So he and I did have a conversation one time, and we think that we are related a couple generations back. Okay, So that's.
Speaker 3: But you know, do we know?
Speaker 6: I mean, well twenty three he has not shown up on my twenty three and me, okay, I.
Speaker 1: Hope you've deleted that by now.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, yeah, the government will I know?
Speaker 6: Right? Oh, I just got all my data.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, I just got all my data.
Speaker 6: I haven't gone and deleted it. That's a lot of data to be sent.
Speaker 3: I know it was.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you're in LA and one of your first gigs was a three story arc on California Dreams. A perfect mixture for your past and music and now your journey in acting was jumping on a TV set?
Speaker 1: Intimidating for you at all?
Speaker 6: No, I loved it so much. And you know I love sitcoms. I love sitcoms, and the the pacing of a sitcom is so similar to musical anyways, right.
Speaker 1: With Yeah, there's a rhythm.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but California Dreams. Yeah, two lot of those three episodes, I got dumped. I was a prom date.
Speaker 3: Wait, how'd you get jumped?
Speaker 5: Were you playing the same character that gets dumped twice?
Speaker 6: Moving me around?
Speaker 1: I think they dumped by different people.
Speaker 3: You just keep getting dumped by that.
Speaker 5: I was, wow, that's impressive to be dumped on multiple episodes of the episode.
Speaker 6: I think, when I haven't seen that thing in a long time. But but I didn't play any instruments or anything. I didn't sing on that.
Speaker 5: Wait, you went on singing sitcom and you didn't sing on the singing?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, it's a really weird experience. Here's a weird experience. So through the years, I've written a lot of music that and songs that have been licensed by film and TV. And there was an episode of Lawn and Order see I and I had written the song and it was my vocal on it, and it was a story line where the pop star was the murderer and they used my song to be her hit song and my voice was coming out of her body in the episode, which is so and she looked like me. So that was so weird.
Speaker 5: Did they give you at least the opportunity to audition for the role of the possible killer on CI?
Speaker 4: I mean is that?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 6: That was New York. I think they did that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they do. They do the stuff there. Yeah, okay, yeah, wow.
Speaker 6: So life is funny, you know. I was thinking, this industry, you start one way and you think you're going to do something, and then these odd things come your way and they're so cool, like some of the just some of the I just feel like we're so lucky to be able to be creative and meet all these different people and have all these different experiences around the world. Arts. It's just the best.
Speaker 2: Well, especially for people like you who are good at all of it. You're a good actor, You're a good singer, You're a good dancer.
Speaker 1: I mean, at this point now you're still dancing.
Speaker 2: You got gigs in two classic movies, Austin Powers and That Thing You Do?
Speaker 3: Did you I watched that thing you do last night? Did you really? I literally watched that thing you do last night? That's so funny, you guys.
Speaker 6: Okay, I have two stories for you if you want, yes, please, So one, do you know that Tony Basil choreographed both of those Well, she was the original choreographer for Austin Powers, but she choreographed that Thing You Do. Do you know who Tony is?
Speaker 3: I know the name name?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, hey Nicky? Right, hey Niki?
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, So she choreographed both of those films, and she was Bet Midler's choreographer for all those years.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, where were you in that Thing You Do?
Speaker 5: Were you one of the go Go dancers on the stage when they were playing Now we were in.
Speaker 3: The b and us.
Speaker 6: In the there was a bunch of places.
Speaker 5: You were Captain Geech in the Shrimp Shack Shooters, gotcha, my gosh.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was Union where they made dancers.
Speaker 4: Union.
Speaker 6: That was the first one. I remember on the beach. It was winter and it was cold, bathing suits and dancing in the sand. You know. Tom Hanks at the end of the day applauded everybody because he directed yes, and I was so blown away.
Speaker 3: Wow that Wow.
Speaker 6: I worked with Colin to his son on a movie in Iowa in the winter, So maybe I can only work with the Hanks in the.
Speaker 1: Winter under cold circumstances.
Speaker 5: Everybody knows that, do you do you have one discipline that you prefer? I mean, do you prefer dancing to singing? You prefer acting to dancing and singing?
Speaker 3: Is that if you had to focus on one, you're only allowed to pick one? Which one would you do?
Speaker 6: Well? I don't dance anymore and I have a very long time, so that's easy that one out. So but it's not like I'm out there, you know, hitting the boards. No acting and singing. I can't ever pick. And that's been that way for very, very very long time. I'm I'm I'm fortunate enough that dance got me was a point because you had access to that in Michigan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I want to get into Boy Meets World. Yes, you're playing Kelly the somewhat hesitant love interest of Sean just post his breakup. Do you remember the first time you met Writer and what working with him was like that week?
Speaker 6: Oh my god, I loved Writer. I still do. Hey, Writer, I want your sour dough starter.
Speaker 4: You'll be my hook.
Speaker 6: I loved working with Writer. And can you say the the Kelly my Date monologue? The Kelly my Date was brilliant. Ye oh my god, I loved it.
Speaker 1: It was so good, so cute.
Speaker 6: You guys were also, you know, being when you come on for one episode, you're a guest in somebody's house and it is really nice and and you know the series regular casts that have been you guys are a machine and you've got it all down and you're a family. And it was really nice coming onto this set. Everybody was so warm and kind and it made it easy because it's always like the first day of school. Yeah, yeah, when you go onto a new.
Speaker 2: Set, totally, there's so much to take in, all the new people, the politics of it all, taking the relationships, figuring out how to work with the director and the producers and every out right.
Speaker 6: But you guys are amazing.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you.
Speaker 6: I remember I remember the vocal coach on he goes uh, he said something like sing average.
Speaker 1: Oh, he didn't want you to be too good?
Speaker 6: What does sing average mean? How do I interpret that note?
Speaker 1: Did you not sound so good?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Writer, you sounded great.
Speaker 4: You did sound I think it was digitally altered.
Speaker 2: But there is a great moment where writer slash Sean grabs your chair and swings you around the table. Do you remember rehearsing that, working on it, finding that in rehearsal? Do you remember any of the non singing rehearsal moments.
Speaker 1: No, I'm glad.
Speaker 4: It's not just what I remember that moment either. It's a big move, like it makes sense that you're a dancer like that that could you helped make.
Speaker 1: Out her balance exactly?
Speaker 4: Yeah, It's pretty remarkable how quick like and easy it worked, like I was.
Speaker 5: Like this also, I mean it was also violent enough to where you could have thrown somebody off that chair.
Speaker 1: No, and she was able to stay on it.
Speaker 2: And like writer said, I'm sure she was helping substantially make that move happen.
Speaker 1: So anyway, I.
Speaker 2: Can't believe neither of you or none of us remember it, because it's it's really well done.
Speaker 6: Yeah, oh, well that's all righter.
Speaker 2: Then no, no, okay, So you are a part of a pretty infamous scene for Boy Meets World, and this is where we realized we may have been forgetting a lot. But the karaoke scene, we have Trina and her date or Angela and her date, myself and Corey are performing War, which we now know you auditioned with, and then you and Sean singing I Got you, babe. What do you remember about the song the rehearsing of it. We remember it feeling pretty like there was like it was high stakes, but that also may have just been because for for those of us who are not singers, it is super high up on our anxiety list to feel then uncomfortable singing in front of people. So maybe it was just us and maybe you don't remember it feeling high stress.
Speaker 1: What was it for you?
Speaker 6: Wow? I love this conversation. It's so fascinating. Yeah, I know. I just remember having a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Okay, good god, Yeah, fun is good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Writer was not was not having fun for writer.
Speaker 4: But I remember you were so helpful for me. I don't know if you remember, but you changed the key of our song, you like we did the table read and then the first day of rehearsal, and you were so confident and you obviously you just had the musical background, and I remember you were like, we should, we should have a meeting with the Ray Colecord, the music supervisor, And so we got we had a phone call with him. We went over to the where the phone, the stage phone was. There was always a desk on the stage phone and called him on speaker and he had like his keyboard on the other and and you guys figured out the key that was best for you and me, and you're like, no, no, writer, you should sing higher, and you like had him change the key right there, and then he was like and you I was like, oh, thank god, somebody knows what they're doing. And you like yeah. And then the rest of the week was just me trying to harmonize and I couldn't do it because I would just always match your pitch. I was supposed to be harmonizing with you, and I couldn't. I just couldn't. And the and then that singing coach was there. He wasn't there the first day, but then he came the next week, and I remember him just being like he was super supportive. But he was like, writer, you're a e lead singer because lead singers can never harmonize. It's great, sound great, I don't worry about it. That was his advice. He's like, a real lead singer never can harmonize. Well, so you're that just means you're elite singer.
Speaker 9: It's cool, dude, Okay, it's so funny.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Another question for you that maybe you remember, because I did not, the take of Ben and I singing war that ends up being the tag of the episode where we're laughing and we're breaking and we're clearly just having fun. Was that one of the takes that we did in the regular scene that just went off the rails and they ended up using it as a tag.
Speaker 1: Do you remember us? Do you remember watching.
Speaker 2: Us do that and and and it being was it planned?
Speaker 1: Was it off the cuff?
Speaker 6: I think I think it was from you guys performing and they had it. You guys were hilarious, We were having a Larry.
Speaker 1: I said, it looks like we were having a lot of fun.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, you were so funny in that thing. That was brilliant. How many gold I remember thinking, don't laugh because you know so that's why I think it was part of the scene. Yeah, because if it wasn't part of the scene, then I would have relaxed and.
Speaker 2: Been like, exactly, I'm just gonna go are there they're laughing, I'm just gonna laugh.
Speaker 6: But Kelly would not, you know. So, so that's why I think it.
Speaker 2: Was part of the It was it was planned that way. We were supposed to do that. Okay, good, that's cute, that's fun.
Speaker 6: It is, it's an awesome button.
Speaker 2: Was that the first time you had ever performed in front of a live studio audience on a sitcom? Or was Step by Step also in front of a live studio audience?
Speaker 6: Actually, all the sitcoms up until up till then, well at that time, all of them were live, all of them. Okay, I loved I think I only did one that was not live.
Speaker 1: Okay, Baby Box it was.
Speaker 6: There was no audience when I worked on that show, but it was all live.
Speaker 1: But everything else and did you love it?
Speaker 2: Do we talk about those live studio audience nights as just being magical?
Speaker 3: It is magical, Yeah, it really is.
Speaker 5: That's what I miss more than anything else, I think, other than working with the cast like just the kind of company.
Speaker 8: Just show night.
Speaker 5: I mean, how do you It didn't even matter what the episode was, just that night is so oh god, it's absolutely it is.
Speaker 3: It's magical. It's the only word to use.
Speaker 6: And another thing I love. I know a lot of actors hate this, but I love it is when during show night when you'll get a new line, you know, you'll rewrite something or try something out. I think that's so fun and exciting. Well, because you.
Speaker 5: Don't know what to expect from the audience as a whole new energy, you get another jolt because it's like, ooh, I gotta I hope I hit new line that I just a new beat that I just have. Yeah, it really, it's great.
Speaker 4: And now there were times on our show when it would be a whole two pages that new scenes or like yeah, I remember like sitting there and rewriting and you say this and that, you know, and like literally Kathy, our script supervisor, just writing out by hand on pencil and then being like, oh so that would get a little stressful, but I agree it was usually a positive thing. It was usually like a high wire act that kind of was exciting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you get that adrenaline rush it's cool.
Speaker 1: You mentioned that you are a mom. You have a daughter?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Has she ever seen your episode of Boy Meets World?
Speaker 6: No? I think she. She just asked me about it, okay, and she's asked me about a couple of things that you know, other kids have seen. But no, she hasn't seen it yet.
Speaker 2: Does it do whenever somebody finds out you were on Boy Meets World? Does anyone ever care? Is it ever something that comes up in your life?
Speaker 6: It makes me feel old.
Speaker 1: I love that show, my mom, I love that show.
Speaker 4: Kids love that show.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Actually, my niece, Oh that's right. My niece just sent me a text with a screenshot and went, Auntie, is this you?
Speaker 8: It is?
Speaker 1: And it was from Boy Meets World.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she's in her you know she's she's in the binge. She's in the Boy Meets World binge.
Speaker 1: Oh I love it. How old is she?
Speaker 6: Ninth grade? Okay?
Speaker 9: Wow?
Speaker 7: See?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And does your daughter show any musical inclination or acting inclination or.
Speaker 6: You guys, she is so musical, she's got She did a role with a very famous movie star and I'm not sure if I can say quite yet, but in a movie directed by Noah, bound Back that's coming out this fall, amazing. I was on set watching her work with this man and went, wow, wait till I tell her who the person is.
Speaker 3: She has no clue now, so we didn't know. She didn't know Hugh Jackman very close. Okay, just throw him out. See what happened.
Speaker 6: And she also she's got a great voice. She's saying on national commercials, and she's saying on Grammy Award winning albums already, she's s session work.
Speaker 1: Wow, old is she?
Speaker 6: She's eleven?
Speaker 1: Man, that's so cool.
Speaker 6: I know it's nuts. And I just sit there. I'm a studio mom, now you know. I I sit there and have her do it again.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, giving notes.
Speaker 6: It's it's really it's it's really fun and exciting and feels very full circle.
Speaker 4: Together.
Speaker 6: Well, I was gonna say, my goal is that we do something together.
Speaker 1: Ye right, of course, yeah, Oh that'd be so great.
Speaker 4: I mean, you make the joke about giving her notes, but you did teach her how to play music at first, right when she was younger.
Speaker 6: Oh you do you remember? Yeah, she's she's excellent little pianist, right right.
Speaker 4: And I remember because I remember asking you. I was like how can I get my son to play? You're like, you just got it. Is it the Suzuki method or whatever? You like, you just got to do it. Yeah, you just got to make them do it. At like three, you were already like nope, you just got to sit down and play. Yeah, you were like hardcore about it. I loved it. It was awesome.
Speaker 3: But it worked.
Speaker 4: I mean yeah, no, totally. That was the thing. Your whole point was like, they have to just always have the instruments around, and you just do it, like every day, like just get down or you know, at least once a week or whatever, do it. And you were like yeah, and it worked obviously.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she's doing really well. We we do have a lot of instruments around the house and I just lay them out. I mean she's older now, but as a kid, you know, you just lay them out and they just twot on something or play on something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you.
Speaker 2: Know, Ada has really we have two friends that have drum kits at their house, and Adler has really gravitated to the drums. He wants to sit there and and figure it out. And I'm like, I don't like noise.
Speaker 5: He was drummer of the first band I was ever in. Yeah, he played when we were all together.
Speaker 4: Making our band.
Speaker 3: So yeah, he's the first drummer. Definitely.
Speaker 2: I forgot Uncle Will came over and Keating and Adler and Will had a little band.
Speaker 3: It was so cute.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, yeah, that's my first drummer and I think my first guitarist.
Speaker 3: So we haven't we split up. I mean there's some internal stuff, but mostly.
Speaker 1: The fact that they were four time.
Speaker 3: There might be it was mostly about nap time. And honestly it was my nap time that was in the way of.
Speaker 2: Everything, exactly, kept getting in the way crazy. So I cannot let you go before I talked to you about the office where you got to be very meta and you played an actress playing Miss love It in Sweeney Todd in the episode Andy's play. This must have been so much fun.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, you guys, it was a great So there's an another added thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, so okay, so yes, so.
Speaker 6: Uh we did we were we were a local theater company, community theater. Yes, swing Sweeney Todd and Ed Helms's character Andy was in the in the play. So we did that play and originally they do you remember do you know the character Kevin. Yeah, of course, okay, yeah, So originally my character was Kevin's new girlfriend. Oh yeah, so who was playing missus Lovett in the community theater production.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we.
Speaker 6: Started that and we shot that, and then the next day I went and got new script saying you are no longer his girlfriend, you're his sister her, and so then we filmed some scenes of us doing sibling things on top of filming.
Speaker 2: I hate to point this out, but it's almost as if you were dumped in that episode off camera against I don't want to mention it, but it's kind of like, yike, the actor. The writers were like, not the girlfriend someone, you're now the sister.
Speaker 6: That's hilarious. Oh my gosh, it's true.
Speaker 3: Took They took you full and of cleaves.
Speaker 5: Very interesting how they decided to do that from wife to sister.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: Is this one of the things where, because I know I'm a big Office fan and Daniel's a big Office fan too, when you get the DVDs a lot of times there's all the bonus footage that they have.
Speaker 3: Is this something where we can actually see the stuff that they shot.
Speaker 6: Yeah, one of the scenes, uh, one of our sibling scenes is on the bonus cool but I I you know, I got to wear these crazy wigs as missus love it fun and oh my gosh, that were so cool. And of course I got to sing in a local community the my my version of a community theater Cockney accent.
Speaker 4: You know, I got to see this. I've never seen this episode.
Speaker 3: Oh it's a great episode.
Speaker 5: It is so funny how badly the play starts to go in the middle, like it's doing really well, that it starts to go really terribly.
Speaker 3: And then Andy just starts ad libbing on stage. It is really funny.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was gonna say, you know what, I've got a prop over. I have a prop knife around here somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yes, please, I'll get them knife.
Speaker 6: I have all sorts of goodies around here. But that was a blast, so cool, a blast.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: So since season one of us doing this podcast, we have been talking about wanting to build a time machine, and we there are many things we want to build a time machine for. We want to go back, we want to appreciate the show more. We want to appreciate lots of things more. If you could go back in time to see young Heather, Marie Marston on the set of Boy Meets World and you could talk to yourself, what would you say.
Speaker 6: Wow, that's intense, Danielle.
Speaker 1: Sorry, sorry, that's what we do here. We'd like to Wow.
Speaker 6: What would I say? Oh, my gosh, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 6: This is gonna sound so but I one thing I did learn young was to definitely appreciate things as I went, and so I I do. I just remember having maybe I would have maybe I would have not been I wouldn't say that I was shy, but maybe I would have talk to you guys more in a you know, yeah, maybe like that. That just sounded like we didn't talk that, which is not accurate.
Speaker 2: No, but you were probably, like you said, when you come on, when you're a guest star and you come on to a show, your natural tendency is to just sit back and watch.
Speaker 1: And yeah, try to blend in. And I like that.
Speaker 2: I like the idea of saying, you're there, you got here here for a reason, join in, talk more, participate more, act like you belong because you do.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Yeah, but I just remember that was one of the sets that was so fun and so nice. So there's not a lot.
Speaker 3: I'm glad to hear that. That's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, makes us.
Speaker 6: Happy, you know, because you know it's not always like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, it's not.
Speaker 6: Right, So there's not so it's it's all good.
Speaker 2: You mentioned that you are now a stage mom for your daughter, who's working and successful in her own right. What else are you working on now? Where can people find you? Where can people see you? What are you doing? What do you want people to know?
Speaker 6: Well, I'm still out there because I'm a Chiteau for life. Yeah, a lifer. You're born that way, right. Sometimes you wish you could just take it off. And the only time that I ever wished there was one one moment that I the only time in my life I ever thought I don't have to be an actor anymore. And it was a fleeting thought, was after I had my daughter, and I thought, looking at this baby, I was just like, Wow, I don't have to be anybody else. I don't have to step into any other world. I can just be here. But anyway I'm around. And also I fell into a band with some amazing musicians. Do you guys you know Game of Thrones? Right, of course we've heard of it. Okay, So the cell is for that is my bandmate. We play yeah, it's he plays electric cello, he plugs it in so cello and guitar and drums and myself and we play a lot of music festivals and wineries. We played wineries. Now that's so cool, Jones House and we release singles on you know the streamers.
Speaker 1: And do you have a website or in instagram?
Speaker 6: Jones House band, Jones House, Instagram dot com. Love that perfect and then look out for Sadie in.
Speaker 1: What's her last?
Speaker 6: Nadi Stall Cup.
Speaker 2: Safdie Stall Cup. Okay, great, well, Heather, Thank you so much for joining us today. It was a pleasure to reconnect with you and to hear your experience. Thank you for shining a light on some stuff we had otherwise forgotten. And I still think it's so interesting now to know that your audition sheet was war. I feel like now we need to get to the bottom of that situation.
Speaker 1: So cool. Thank you for being here with us. It was a pleasure to talk to you.
Speaker 6: Thank you guys so much. It's so good to see all of you. You just everything, Thank.
Speaker 2: You, Thank you, hugs to everybody.
Speaker 3: Bye bye. So funny.
Speaker 1: I wonder, I mean, I really do think.
Speaker 2: My my thought that they originally maybe had her written as a crazy woman.
Speaker 4: That's what I think that was the joke. And then right, it just doesn't. It makes sean storyline kind of lame if he's just like on a date with a lame like a crazy girl him. You know, it has to be that Sean isn't ready to move on with somebod who is actually good for him.
Speaker 1: Exactly, she wasn't.
Speaker 5: Does anybody remember she wasn't the quote unquote crazy girl by table Read like they'd already switched it.
Speaker 1: You think I remember this table Read.
Speaker 4: Always singing I've got you babes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they've got so what you it's a week prep.
Speaker 5: Really, they're gonna they're gonna audition on a Tuesday Wednesday for the following week's episode.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 2: Yes, Usually usually they've cast by the day before at the very least, So they're probably auditioning, Like while we're rehearsing for our Thursday night tape night, they're rehearsing that Monday. I mean, they're auditioning that Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday for the next one. Yeah, for the show that starts on Friday.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, Yeah, I remember that I remember. It's funny.
Speaker 2: I don't even think about it anymore because I don't not ISSI for anything, but the idea of like booking a job and then you start tomorrow, yeah okay, okay.
Speaker 4: I used to remember. I remember auditioning it and being like, oh, okay, they need you on stage now. Yeah, there's that too, for you're gonna go right over to your especially during stay calm, because if you're a guest star, they just be like, oh great, well yeah, since you just got like come back at three o'clock and go to the stage and start rehearsing, like oh, okay.
Speaker 1: Okay, I guess I guess I'm starting now.
Speaker 4: I kind of always loved that though, because you have to think about it and let you just do it, you know.
Speaker 2: I just think about now how much my life needs to be, like my calendar and my organization, like it's all on such a regiment.
Speaker 3: The idea that.
Speaker 1: It would just be like oh, for now for the next.
Speaker 4: Of an actor is kind of crazy. Like you have to be flexible because that it is, you know, you have to just jump into something.
Speaker 2: And why the joke always exists that if you need to book a job, just plan a vacation.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 3: Because buy non refundable plane ticket somewhere you will.
Speaker 1: Get that job your book for sure, way it works.
Speaker 2: Thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod meets World Show at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: And we've got merch.
Speaker 8: So like the first time I sat down with Keaton and Adler, right, and Keaton strums out this tune and I'm like, that's a hit record.
Speaker 1: That's merch.
Speaker 4: That was a tune we call merch.
Speaker 5: Merch.
Speaker 3: That's right. Merch is our first albums to when we've done so far.
Speaker 8: And there's a chance in the future we're getting back together again and let's go some stuff together. But we're gonna we're going to round about again and lay down some new tracks.
Speaker 1: You know, I will go watch this performance for sure. I could listen to twenty four hours of that.
Speaker 2: Pondmeetsworldshow dot com will send us out.
Speaker 3: We love you all, pod dismissed.
Speaker 5: Pod Meets World is nheart podcast producer and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfredell and Ryder Strong. Executive producers Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara sudbachsch producer, Maddie Moore.
Speaker 3: Engineer and Boy Meets World super fan Easton Allen.
Speaker 5: Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon and you can follow us on Instagram at Podmeets World Show or email us at Podmeats World Show at gmail dot com