Speaker 1: Hey, there're folks. It is Wednesday, October the fifteenth, and have we got a movie for you. It stars one of my absolute favorite horror movie actresses. And this movie will have you rethinking and then maybe asking more questions before you marry into somebody's family. And with that, welcome to our horror hit list as we continue to count down our favorite horror movies leading into Halloween. Our favorite horror movies that most folks have not heard of, This one. I don't know. It's an actress people will recognize even they don't know her name.
Speaker 2: But there are other actors in this movie that do have household names. And I will have to say, you put this on my radar. I didn't know about the movie. I certainly had not watched the movie, and you said, oh boy, please watch it with me. I was gonna watch it. I think on a plane. You're like, no, no, no, watch it with me. And I'm so happy I did.
Speaker 3: Ready or not? That is the movie we are talking about.
Speaker 2: It was released August twenty first, twenty nineteen. I am not sure how I missed it again, great runtime, an hour and thirty five minutes rated Our horror Mystery thriller, comedy. So this has something for everybody. It really does have all of those genres put into one fabulous movie. And here's the synopsis for you. Grace couldn't be happier after she marries the man of her dreams at his family's luxurious estate.
Speaker 3: There's just one catch.
Speaker 2: She must now hide from midnight until dawn while her new in laws hunt her down with guns, crossbows, and other weapons. As Grace desperately tries to survive the night, she soon finds a way to turn the tables on her not so lovable relatives.
Speaker 1: Obviously, that's a ridiculous premise, and they pull it off so well. It doesn't seem like a silly movie at all. There is violence, there is horror, there is comedy. You've mentioned all those genres up there. Which one do you think it leans more into horror, mystery, thriller or comedy.
Speaker 2: I think it's a horror comedy. I thought I would put those two at the top. But there is mystery, and it is thrilling, and the acting is phenomenal, and there's a supernatural element to it as well, so it's not just people man versus man. There is a supernatural element that forces all of this to play out.
Speaker 1: Yes, and again you're hearing that right, folks. She's literally in her wedding dress and she has to play hide and go seek, and if she's caught and killed, that is the point. The in laws need to catch and kill her for supernatural reasons that will later be revealed. But that is what the movie is, that she gets bloodied all over the truth. It is a wonderful movie.
Speaker 2: And this thing did really really well at the box office actually for horror movie. Yeah, fifty seven point six million total. That's phenomenal. The budget was just six millions, so they did very well with this one, and you could see how maybe there is I would love a sequel, absolutely, But the cast Tomorrow Weaving, that's the actress that TJ was talking about, and it's true. You know her face, you know her work, but I didn't necessarily know her name. Then you have Adam.
Speaker 3: Brodie, duh.
Speaker 2: Then you have any McDowell, of course, amazing, and she's so good in this.
Speaker 3: By the way.
Speaker 2: I love I've always loved her and it's so fun seeing her in a delicious role like this, because that's exactly what her role is. As the mother in law, the new mother in law. Henry Churney also in it as the father in law.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and again, everybody knows his face from so much work, and most recently he's been in several of the Mission Impossible movies. He was the first one with Tom Cruise. He's playing his guy at the Cio whatever at the head of IMF kind of a good guy, kind of bad guy. But they keep his character throughout the movies.
Speaker 2: And yes and so yes, all of these folks have familiar faces and familiar work.
Speaker 1: What is the I always forget the name of the show that Nicole Kitman helmed at the Resort where they're all the strangers.
Speaker 3: Perfect strangers.
Speaker 1: Yes, she was in that show as well. Yes, yes, yes, yes, I mean she was in The Babysitter. She's just a quirky you know what, She's a pretty blonde woman who plays these very quirky characters that aren't sexy. They're not playing characters who are trying to be sexy. They're hilarious. They're funny, self deprecating. She nails and owns that in all of her roles, and she does it once again. She is wonderful. What was the other thing.
Speaker 2: She was. I was surprised to see that she's thirty three years old. I think she I feel like she's so much younger than she is, but yeah, she is. I'm trying to look at some of the other the other things she's been in.
Speaker 1: Is she if you saw the most Resa the New when they redid Scream recently, she was in an opening sequence she's you know what, Yes, essentially playing the role that Drew Barrymore did and having an opening sequence in which she gets killed. Even doing that, she's just wonderful. I love a love of love.
Speaker 2: She is amazing. So Yes, and the directors are the same ones of Abigail. If you liked Abigail, if you watched Abigail, that was a fun one too. And it is in the same vein where it's like this horror comedy it works. Tyler Gilett and Matt Bethinelli open. I hope I said their names correctly, but good.
Speaker 1: To compare it to Abigail, they put somebody in a role you don't expect. There's a vicious vampire in the shape of a ten year old girl ballerina slippers and this is kind of the same thing. You see a bride in this wonderful dress. Everybody put together, everybody's got their tuxes, and every out here engaged in the most brutal hunt Cat and Miles game out.
Speaker 2: Yes, I love it so Rotten Tomatoes they loved it too. The score eighty nine percent, which is extremely high, and the audience score or seventy eight percent. And so maybe it was just a little too maybe the concept was a little too much to stomach for some folks. But yeah, this is definitely a well reviewed movie.
Speaker 1: You know, you look at this stuff more than I do. What is considered good bad. I assume anything in the nineties, But seventy eight seems really good to me. And you were like, it's a little.
Speaker 2: Well, No, I yes, I would have expected it to be higher, to be honest, I just thought it was that good of a movie. But I'm always surprised by the Rotten Tomato scores. I do feel validated when I agree with them, and I feel outraged when I think they got it wrong. But the critic consensus was this, and I think this is perfect, smart, subversive and darkly funny. Ready or Not is a crowd pleasing horror film with Giddaly entertaining bite.
Speaker 1: Dark is a good word for it. It's pretty dark. This is pretty dark, but they balance it with comedy. Usually it doesn't get We've seen dark horror movies right where it's something about the underworld or possession or things like that. It's not that kind of dark.
Speaker 3: It's just kind of the concept is dark.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just that the brutality of it. But they juxtapose it with a wedding. They juxtapose it with comedy. They it offsets.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean even the kids.
Speaker 2: Like you know when kids are playing a role in a wedding, you know they're the ring bearer or the flower. They're even involved in the hunt. So yes, in that way, it is dark.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: We've got some critic reviews to give you a sense of what the professionals have said about this film. By the end of Ready or Not, each character feels fleshed out, the rituals feel both insane and logical, and the whole experience feels like a blood soaked roller coaster ride you can't wait to get back in line for.
Speaker 3: That's actually a really good way to put it. I love that one.
Speaker 2: Here's another a super smart B movie that offers a dark splattery note on the margins of society's growing divisions.
Speaker 3: That might be a little too heady for me. I wasn't looking at it from a cultural.
Speaker 2: Perspective or what it's said about us as a as a people.
Speaker 1: But okay, ruin the movie for me, there that review.
Speaker 3: Don't overthink it.
Speaker 2: Like at some point, I'm like, I understand their job is to be critical, but sometimes a movie just is what it is and they're not trying to make some and maybe they were trying to make.
Speaker 3: A larger point.
Speaker 2: I didn't take that away from watching the film, but hey, if you do and it means something to you, great.
Speaker 1: But it's cool to disagree and that be okay.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think it's interesting to see other people's reactions and reflections upon watching the movie.
Speaker 3: Here's another one.
Speaker 2: Ready or Not brings a new twist to the familiar story of trying to impress your soon to be in laws by combining horror mystery and a little bit classic screwball comedy.
Speaker 1: Screwball, that's a good way to put it. All these characters as well, even though they have serious roles, they they have a little screwball in their resume. Yes, this was a perfect cast for this well in the old the grandmother is.
Speaker 3: In there too, Yes, I mean everybody's in on it.
Speaker 1: She's one of my favorites. Yes, he does some weird stuff. She is probably the most brutal killer of them.
Speaker 2: All, which is it's funny because grandma's are not typically put like that into movies. All right, ready or not, here's another one accomplishes exactly what it's set out to do. It delivers a fun, entertaining ninety minute hide and seek game as we've never seen before. Totally perfect. Spot On loved all of those reviews for the most part. But yeah, I think that's exactly the best way to put it. This is one of those fun, entertaining crowd pleasers, and it's certainly why it made our list. But TJ, this was your favorite, so I don't know how did you describe it to me? For you were really excited about watching this movie with me?
Speaker 1: Because this was one of the earlier entries for us. We've gotten into it more lately, but horror comedy. Horror comedy is so so good because it does especially if they can pull off both genres like and being true to both of them. And this is one of the rare ones that does. And again you throw in this cat. This is another one. Excellent cast with excellent credentials, but they're able to pull off the idea your wedding day, your in laws have to hunt you down and kill you for some ritual.
Speaker 2: That's silly, yes, but didn't you love So sometimes you can have a silly premise like this and it's it's executed well, but they always have a tough time with the ending. I have to say I loved this ending. Yes, this ending is worth yeah.
Speaker 1: Wait, yeah, you don't see this coming?
Speaker 2: Is I did not see it coming because I laughed out loud. I was actually kind of appalled at myself for laughing, but I was okay with it because it's a movie and it's not real life.
Speaker 3: But I thought the ending was spectacular.
Speaker 1: And she played a big role, not of course you play play role, but her acting and how she pulled off and how she almost made it okay for you to laugh at some of the stuff you were seeing. It's and again we have to say it's pretty brutal and uncomfortable at times. A couple of the moments of there's some some pain. I should say that she has to endure that makes you a little squeamish, But this is a fun one and again she is a big part of the reason I love this movie. I will watch anything that she's in.
Speaker 2: All right, coming up after the break, we're going to tell you who it's for, who it's not for, what to paa with, where you can watch it and tis a head to number sixteen, which will drop tomorrow. Continuing now on our number seventeen on our horror hit list. Ready or Not, It's a wedding party like you've never seen. You know, the wedding's over. You go hang out with your new family, you celebrate, you sit around, you gather, and you play a few games, maybe even probably not this one, Ready or Not, a hide and seek game where your life is literally on the line.
Speaker 3: And we loved every dark, comedic moment of this movie. And yes it does get a little gruesome. So who is this for?
Speaker 2: I think if you love a cat and Mouse style horror, this is exactly that. I mean. This is a specific genre that hide and seek cat and Mouse. But it's fun because there are a lot of twists and turns, there are some jump scares, phenomenal acting, so I think if you appreciate that type of a movie, this is absolutely for you. You also have to be okay with some gore and some dark subject matters, and yes, you have to have a little bit of a twisted mindset to laugh along with the actors. There were times when I was actually kind of almost ashamed that I was laughing, but I also knew it was intentional.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some of it's so over the top and ridiculous you shake your head slapstick. This is the most slapstick comedy I can come up with in a horror genre. It's hilarious. Some of this stuff is just insane. So if you for a horror movie fan, we're one, we're aficionado's, we're crazy people. If you're in the middle of the road, I think, I think this movie covers a lot of horror movie fans no matter where you are on that scale, correct, I think this can do it for you. And I think even if you're not a horror movie fan, this movie is funny enough to carry through as just a comedy as entertainment.
Speaker 3: For I agree.
Speaker 2: I agree, you just have to have a willingness to accept dark humor. But yes, I do believe comedy is at the top of this Now, who is it not for. I think if you really want to be scared, you're not scared watching this movie. I mean, it's thrilling and you're watching with deep anticipation, but I didn't feel physically nervous or scared or any of those things. So if you're wanting a scary, scary movie, this isn't it. But also if you don't, if you just can't stomach the idea of humans hunting humans, I understand that if that's too much for you, if that topic is just something you stay away from, then definitely don't watch this movie. But I do think it's all done in the spirit of humor, so it lightens it. It doesn't feel heavy. Even though it's dark, it's not heavy, but still just a caution to people who just turn their noses at that concept.
Speaker 1: I don't think this movie is for anybody getting married soon. Don't watch this. Just get through the wedding and then watch the movie and it'll be fine. You've already made the commitment. But this will will make you think about your in laws and what you know and what you don't.
Speaker 2: Know, especially if they have some castle remote castle and mysterious wealth that you don't know the source of that would be of concern after watching this movie.
Speaker 1: And lots of ancient weapons posted on the walls, you know as decoration. No, this is of course, this is over the top, but it does make you think about it. Well, they always say you can marry your spouse, you can pick your spouse, you can't pick your spouse's family. So this is one of those things that make you think about what other question you might need to ask.
Speaker 2: Cautionary tale, it's a cautionary tale in a horror movie. Sure, all right, what you should pair this with? Well, why not give it a wedding theme? I mean, just go all in so I I'm all about champagne and cake with this movie. It's fun to watch with the group, So go ahead and make it a party atmosphere. I think just to lean into the theme and have some fun with it is the right way to go. But this is absolutely a champagne style kind of movie. Beer, whatever your fun drink is, go to drink this is. This is a party movie that just gets a little bloody.
Speaker 1: I would maybe this is not this is a little bit of a date night movie. I think so because it does make you start to ask questions of each other and of your maybe families. But it also robes I forgot about this until now. She's marrying into this family, but she's marrying the guy she loves. He ends up being torn. You ask those questions, right, the loyalty to the family, loyalty to the person he just married. There were some fun questions in there, like love Island type questions. It's true and that you would pluck.
Speaker 2: Out The nice thing about like you actually are rooting for the characters, even the ones that are devilish so to speak.
Speaker 3: You still like them.
Speaker 1: They're likable.
Speaker 2: They're all likable, which is hard to do in a movie like this, And I think that's part of what makes it work so well, is that you like all of the individual characters even as they're doing dastardly things.
Speaker 1: They have despicable traits, but they're still characters you enjoy watching. Oh yeah, I can't think of anybody that turned to be off necessarily in this movie.
Speaker 2: No, no, this is a fun, awesome movie. We highly highly highly recommend Ready or Not Please. We love for you to give it a try. We feel free by the way on our Instagram page a ME and TJ Podcast. Love to hear your thoughts on each of these movies, what you're thinking of them. We haven't gone through and looked at some of the comments, but I bet they're fun. So love to hear what you think of this one. So our next movie number sixteen, that will be coming to you tomorrow, will tease it like this. This movie has one of the creepiest props we have ever seen in a movie. I mean, very unique, very creative. It's all set in a remote country house. And I would say, don't watch this next one alone.
Speaker 1: No, don't. I agree with that. It might be one of the one or two, maybe three creepiest movies on our list for sure.
Speaker 2: Very excited about bringing this one to you next, and thank you all for listening to us on this countdown to Halloween. I'm Amy Robock alongside TJ.
Speaker 3: Holmes. We will talk to you soon.