Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central.
Speaker 3: It's America's only sorts for news. This is the daily Joke with your host Jordan Clupps. What the daily Trump? Jordan Clap.
Speaker 4: But we got so much to talk about. Kamala Harris wins her first debate, Donald Trump shits the debate bed, and JD Van.
Speaker 3: Shits the letter box.
Speaker 4: So let's get right into it with our continuing coverage of Indecision twenty twenty four. Last night, Kamala Harris and Donald Trump took to the debate stay to make their cases to Taylor Allison Swift and whoever else happened to be watching. It was not a good night for Trump in terms of personal tragedies for him. I'd put it somewhere between losing the twenty twenty election and the day Fox Knews started letting female anchors wear paints somewhere in there. And there was one moment that was probably the best example of just how badly Trump did at the debate in Springfield.
Speaker 5: They're eating the dogs, the people that came in.
Speaker 6: They're eating the cats, they're eating they're eating the pets of the people that live there.
Speaker 3: Sir, The question was state your name now.
Speaker 4: You were one of the many people last night wondering why Trump was shouting.
Speaker 3: They're eating the dogs. Explain.
Speaker 4: It started with a random Facebook post where someone accused a Haitian immigrant of stealing and eating their neighbor's daughter's friend's cat. And if there's one thing we know about Facebook posts, it's that they're always rigorously fact checked. But as with any unfounded rumor on Facebook, obviously this got picked up by the right wing establishment and spread across the Internet. Even jd Vance promoted it while simultaneously acknowledging it was completely unfounded. You might say he jumped in the misinformation pool but kept his shirt on, which brings us to last night. If there's one thing we know about a racist conspiracy theory, it's that Donald Trump's brain will swallow it whole, like a hungry immigrant at pat Co's. And that's how a random Facebook post turned into Donald Trump's campaign slogan.
Speaker 3: They're eating cats and dogs.
Speaker 4: So it seemed like Trump had a rough performance, but you know what, that's just my opinion. You can also tell that Donald Trump was the loser because he did all the things losers do when they lose Number one, complaining about the refs.
Speaker 5: I thought they were very unfair, the moderators, everybody did. I thought it was terrible. From the standpoint of ABC, it was three to one. It was a rigged deal, as I assumed it would be, because when you looked at the fact that they were correcting everything and not correcting with her.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, they were correcting you because of the things you were saying.
Speaker 3: That's barely fact checking.
Speaker 4: The moderators were reacting like normal human beings react when you hear the craziest shit you've ever heard. If you were at a cocktail party and your friend said trans immigrants are eating dogs in Ohio, you would say, what the you talking about, Stu, No, they aren't. You wouldn't be like, Okay, thank you for that, Let's move on to foreign policy. You know what, it wasn't just blaming the refs. Another way you know Trump lost is that he was accusing his opponent of cheating.
Speaker 5: They had a rig show with somebody that maybe even had the answers. I mean, I'll be honest. I watched her talk and I said, you know, she seems awfully familiar with the questions.
Speaker 4: Okay, you think she was cheating because she seemed familiar with the questions. It's a presidential debate. They always ask the same questions. It's like being suspicious that someone knows all the words to take me out to the ballgame. How will you fix the economy? What's your stance on abortion? Do you promise not to overthrow the government? Standard boilerplate debate questions. Meanwhile, Trump seemed awfully familiar with the questions that nobody asked, like who's eating all the cats in Springfield, Ohio? But maybe the best way you know Trump lost the debate is that he repeatedly insisted he won.
Speaker 5: I think it was the best debate I've ever personally.
Speaker 6: That we're getting polls that showed ninety two to six, eighty eight to eleven.
Speaker 5: Every single poll last night had me winning like ninety to ten. We had c span at one point was a eighty to twenty, and we looked at one pole it.
Speaker 6: Was ninety two to seven. We had a ninety two percent rating. In one pole we had an eighty six percent rating, and another we had seventy seven percent, ninety percent, sixty percent, seventy two percent, seventy one percent and eighty nine percent.
Speaker 4: Wow, those certainly were numbers. Is this what Trump did during his debate prep memorize all the numbers between.
Speaker 3: Seventy ninety eight.
Speaker 4: In fact, every moment since the debate ended last night, Trump has.
Speaker 3: Been spinning and spinning and spinning.
Speaker 4: I mean, just listen to his response after Taylor Swift announced she is endorsing Kamala Harris.
Speaker 5: Well, I actually like missus. I actually like Missus Mahomes much better. If you walk in't home the trup She's a big Trump fan. I was not a Taylor Swift fan.
Speaker 4: Really, really, Donald, you prefer Brittany Mahomes. What's your top five Brittany Mahomes songs?
Speaker 3: This is really his angle? Well, I don't.
Speaker 4: Care, Taylor, because I like your boyfriend's coworker's wife better. This has just been a day of pathetic, desperate spinning. I mean, imagine if Donald Trump spent all that energy on doing things correctly instead of pretending he did things correctly. I mean, if he had worked harder preparing for the debate, maybe he wouldn't have had to pretend he won the debate. If he had worked harder to win in twenty twenty, maybe he wouldn't have to pretend the election was rigged, And if he had worked harder on January sixth, maybe he could have overthrown the government and wouldn't have to be debating in the first place. It's called work ethic, Donald Come on. Of course, Donald Trump wasn't the only one spinning his performance last night, as aforementioned Vice President J. D Vance was asked about why Donald Trump ranted about illegal immigrants eating pets, and his response was illuminating.
Speaker 3: Why pushed something that's not true?
Speaker 7: Well, first of all, city officials have not said it's not true.
Speaker 1: They said they don't have all the evidence. We've heard no evidence.
Speaker 7: We've heard from a number of constituents on the ground, Caitlin, who both first hand and second hand reports this stuff is happening. So they very clearly meaning the people on the ground dealing with this think that it is happening.
Speaker 3: And I think that it's important.
Speaker 7: For journalists to actually get on the ground and uncover this stuff for themselves.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm sorry, this is not my main takeaway from the story. But someone's cat went missing, so they called their senator. I mean, were they like Hm, Should I go right to the President of the United States or should.
Speaker 3: I start with my senator?
Speaker 4: You gotta update those emergency numbers on your fridge, Berry, come on, But.
Speaker 3: Perhaps perhaps jd Vance has a point. If a story.
Speaker 4: Bubbles up from the right wing sewer, it is our obligation, nay, our duty in the mainstream media to investigate it, no matter the cost. And that is exactly we have done here at the Daily Show. I sent Ronnie Chang undercover to Springfield to find out if illegal migrants are really gobbling up.
Speaker 3: Our small town cats.
Speaker 4: Let's go live Tom now, Ronnie, Ronnie, Ronnie, how's the investigation going?
Speaker 3: Well, Jordan?
Speaker 8: I mean, Ohio in a cat costume, trying to get migrants to eat me. So it's not great. Also, it's not working, Okay. I even tender toize myself with a jerk rub and went around saying, now, meow, I'm so tasty.
Speaker 3: Nothing.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, Well, obviously you're not going to fool anyone with a half assed meal like that.
Speaker 3: You need to commit to the role. Ronnie.
Speaker 8: Hey, hey, don't tell me how to commit.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 3: How many Marvel movies are you in?
Speaker 8: Okay?
Speaker 6: Trust me?
Speaker 3: Trust me. Okay, I've tried everything.
Speaker 8: I share in a box, I batter around some yard, I play with a dead mouse.
Speaker 3: I found nothing. Have you been licking your butthole?
Speaker 8: I can't reach my butthole.
Speaker 3: Truck to reach my butthole? I can't.
Speaker 8: It's impossible, which I already knew for reasons I don't want to discuss.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, then what are we gonna do about these allegations?
Speaker 8: I don't know, Jordan, how about we ignore them. Good journalism doesn't mean we have to take every insane, racist conspiracy theory at face value. Okay, let's just ship on it and move on like I did in a box earlier.
Speaker 4: Wow, well you know what. You know what, Roddie, Maybe you're right. I appreciate you taking journalistic principles.
Speaker 3: So seriously, you're.
Speaker 4: Really following in the footsteps of Edward R. Meauro Roddy, did you hear what I said? I said, Edward R.
Speaker 3: Edward wish you were dead?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 3: Anyway? Oh wait, oh wait, wait, someone's coming.
Speaker 8: Someone's going oh shit, oh shit, oh shit, they're getting gay off of con They're coming for me.
Speaker 3: They're coming from right there. Hellody, Yes, yes, I'm here. Oh oh thank god. Okay, what happened? Were you were?
Speaker 9: You?
Speaker 3: Were you kidnapped by a hungry immigrants?
Speaker 8: No, no, no, I think I was adopted by a childless cat lady.
Speaker 4: Oh all right, okay, hang tight, running, Hang tight, we're sending someone to bring you back.
Speaker 8: Oh, actually, you know what, I'll hold off. She's in the kitchen cooking me some organic chicken right now. I want to see how this plays out.
Speaker 3: How awesome I love these things.
Speaker 4: Okay, I have fun running running, chang everyone cool, we'll come back. We'll find out how the city of Philadelphia is taking.
Speaker 10: Your money, so they'll go away. Welcome back to the Daily.
Speaker 4: So last night's debate took place in Philadelphia, a critical city and the upcoming election.
Speaker 3: But if you're a resident who plans.
Speaker 4: To vote there, you might want to be careful where you park your car on the way to the voting booth.
Speaker 3: Michael Costa has more city parking.
Speaker 11: It's a hell for those who choose to live in urban areas. But in Philadelphia, the eating shit in public capital of America. If you're not keeping up with parking rules, they'll move your car for you.
Speaker 3: Isn't that great?
Speaker 11: It's called courtesy towing and Philadelphians love it.
Speaker 12: My car was moved from a legal parking spot to a illegal parking spot. That's what they call it, courtesy toe. I have a parking permit for the street parking, and there wasn't a temporary no parking sign put up within a couple of days and I was out of town. So it was then towed to an illegal parking spot by the city, and then it was towed down to the PPA impound lot, which is where we are, and then moved to the auction lot because it was about to be auctioned off.
Speaker 11: So you parked in a legal spot with a legal permit, correct, and eventually your car was in the impound lot.
Speaker 12: Correct?
Speaker 3: Did you park shitty?
Speaker 1: Just be honest, heari, Curio, Curio, forget that.
Speaker 12: I am a very legal parker.
Speaker 9: Be very careful, or you park your car, you're going to get ticketed.
Speaker 3: Let me just side with big government for a sec.
Speaker 11: I hear a lot of people bitching about the tow truck man. I've been towed once or twice.
Speaker 1: But I know I parked it legally.
Speaker 9: There's courtesy towing, which is up for weather for events and typically they're supposed to put up no parking signs. It happened less than twelve hours after I had parked there. When I got back to my car, it wasn't there. I'd called the PPA a couple times, not helpful. Finally just called the police. So then was able to tell me based on your license plate, it's at fifteenth in Washington.
Speaker 1: This is called a courtesy tow. Well that's nice. That's nice.
Speaker 3: No, I mean it would be if they parked my car legally.
Speaker 9: So we're walking up to fifteenth in Washington. There's my car and it's parked in the media like in the turn lane, which weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, see the four tickets on it. Oh, there's four tickets on tickets on it. They courtesy towed.
Speaker 11: Your car to a different location, to an illegal spot, and then you start to acquire tickets from that illegal spot. The one common factor in these stories the PPA or Philadelphia Parking Authority. But why was this beloved governmental agency courtesy towing its residents in the first place.
Speaker 12: It's very profitable, and everybody knows that I waited about an hour and a half to get in and then had to pay nine hundred and sixty four dollars.
Speaker 6: What.
Speaker 12: Yeah, they have a toe fee, the ticket fees, and then the impound lot daily storage fee and it's a money making machine.
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 11: How bad I could a couple extra fines be, especially since the PPA helps fund cash trap.
Speaker 10: Schools in Philly.
Speaker 1: Well, it turns out.
Speaker 11: They haven't been honoring their agreement with the city with holding closes to seventy eight million dollars. Because of alleged financial mismanagement.
Speaker 13: The money is not going to the schools.
Speaker 11: One group holding the parking Authority accountable is to Pay Up PPA Coalition. I met with organizer Rachelle Nicole Solomon in one of Philadelphia's historic green spaces.
Speaker 13: The mission of pay Up PPA is to have the Philadelphia Parking Authority be accountable, be transparent, and to have a specific amount of rear car funding every year to the school District of Philadelphia.
Speaker 11: So in Philadelphia, the parking authorities leftover revenue goes to the education.
Speaker 13: Success forty five million a year estimate to the School District of Philadelphia from the Orange Street parking, But the money is not going to the schools, which means one of two things, and maybe both One they were lying or two that the leadership, both the director and the board are grossly incompetent.
Speaker 11: And your opinion is getting ticketed towed by the PPA a rite of passage for Philadelphia residents.
Speaker 13: I don't know about a rite a passage, but probably everybody can can check that off their list. I mean, I've been told my husband been towed. We all get tickets. I mean it's part of life.
Speaker 11: There goes one right there, that's one of our guys right now getting a ticket as we speak.
Speaker 1: Good luck trying to fight that.
Speaker 11: Anyway, back to the interview, what can Philadelphians do to combat some of the corruption of the PPA other than throw batteries or riot on Broad Street.
Speaker 13: I think there's some rum in between those two things, right, I think they need to ask questions, show up at the Parking Authority Board meeting ye, and say pay up. PPA.
Speaker 11: It was time for the PPA to pay up. So I did what any good citizen would. I went into the PPA unsolicited with a camera and microphone.
Speaker 3: How you doing?
Speaker 11: You probably know who I am, but I'm Michael Constan with the Daily and I just wanted to talk to somebody on camera about the ppa's courtesy toe policy.
Speaker 4: So We're gonna have to ask you to step back over, okay and we can.
Speaker 3: Have this interview.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 11: So I'm being asked to leave, yep, okay, but do you mind if I use your toilet?
Speaker 1: I got a bus about to leave the station.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you. Well, I just want to talk to you, but.
Speaker 11: I got courtesy toad out of there. So there you have at Philadelphians. The PPA is screwing you and your public school's over.
Speaker 1: The good news is I'm a New Yorker.
Speaker 11: I don't have to give a shit about any of this.
Speaker 3: Son of a bitch. What's up is this.
Speaker 11: One hundred and seventy five bucks, this city and the PPA.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Michael.
Speaker 4: When we come back, John Holliman, we'll be enjoining me on the show.
Speaker 3: We'll go away. Welcome back to the Daily Show.
Speaker 4: My guest tonight as a best seller at All thirteenth political Columnists as partner at Talk an host the Politics Podcast. Please welcome John Heilman. I knew there would be some Wu Tang apparel when.
Speaker 14: You walked out after you sung the praises of Wu Tang your Chicago convention show. You saw that, Yeah, of course I did. You talked about how that era nineteen ninty one nineteeny five four best year's American history. I agree, you agree, right, I agreed. I'm a little disappointed they promised me DESI.
Speaker 3: Tonight they did, because.
Speaker 1: That's why I'm here.
Speaker 14: I mean, I love you, but like you know, I was like, I wanted to get the best sub John hosts.
Speaker 4: First of all, I don't consider myself a sub John host. I am the host of the goddamn Daily Show. You will respect that, and you should understand that all of the best groups have a lot of members O dB, Jizzo, Rizza, Master Killer, Inspected, dec.
Speaker 3: These are groups lands if you will.
Speaker 1: I can't believe you.
Speaker 14: I can't believe some of the ones you're leaving out there are like math. Who's gonna come over here and beat the shit out of you for that? But here's here's how you know that I actually knew it was you, Okay, after all that discussion that we had on my podcast last week about the.
Speaker 1: Food of Chicago.
Speaker 4: Yes, I was slumming it and I did your podcast.
Speaker 1: He did and he was great. He was great.
Speaker 14: You gotta listen to it. In Politic with John Hommet here's the thing. So you didn't come to Philly. No I didn't you know what they make in Philly? What do they make?
Speaker 1: Chees steaks, chees sticks? Famously, there's two of them, two famous cheese steak makers.
Speaker 3: Yes, I've been to one of them, which one Geno's. I think, Well we got.
Speaker 14: Now these were purchased after them. They're to up and twenty four hours. These were purchased at the middle, like about three am.
Speaker 3: It's Pats and Ginos.
Speaker 1: Pats and Gino's right next to each other. Gino's Steaks.
Speaker 3: Right, wait, you're bringing me old meat.
Speaker 14: Well no, no, these were transported from Philadelphia as if they were severed limbs. Okay, like on on ice very well, like just it's really hygienic.
Speaker 1: Don't worry, it's gonna be great. But yeah, old shee whiz. There's nothing better. There's nothing better. And this is Pat's Kingdom Steaks.
Speaker 14: Now, these places have been operating in Philadelphia for like eighty years. They're a block away from each other, and people will fight you in Philly over which one.
Speaker 1: Of these is better. Yeah, they're indistinguishable.
Speaker 14: If you take if you take a if you take one of these piece of steak and covered in cheese.
Speaker 1: Whiz. This is just supposed to do and onions. You can't tell the difference.
Speaker 14: So we you don't have to eat it now because I know how it's eating on the air is not cool. But I wanted to make sure that you had yea and offering.
Speaker 3: What do you think these people want to see?
Speaker 4: John, This is the smartest, the smartest audience on television.
Speaker 3: Brook, eat it. Let's do it. Don't hear We're gonna do it. I tell you what We're gonna do it. This is all gonna live on the web now.
Speaker 4: Because this interview has already gone seventeen minutes into. Okay, so I'm starting with my genos. Okay, I'm gonna try this. And as I'm trying this, I want you to encapsulate as if we are eating in Philadelphia, your experience last night at the debate in Philadelphia.
Speaker 14: First things, First, she kicked his ass. Now I heard I heard John last night talking about how you know this amount of opinion. People will claim various things. Here's the fundamental truth about campaigns. Both sides have either directly under their under their auspices or in super packs they have they do these things called dial groups. They get undecided voters in battleground states to watch the debate in real time, and they said, you've seen these things.
Speaker 1: What they relate cranked the dial? Do they approve, they disapprove.
Speaker 14: And that's how they That's all they're looking at is what the dials are showing them. Later they will look at polling, but on that.
Speaker 4: Night, internally, they're getting that essentially in real time, based on the answers they're happening.
Speaker 14: And at the end of the night they know two things. Did their candidate perform well with the dial groups? And the dial groups are meant to be representative of groups they're trying to reach and bring over onto their side, And they will know what worked, what are the things that work best by the end, at the end of the night, if you know someone at a high level of the campaign or either campaign or both campaigns says, I might you will know by the end of the night what the dial, what the group said.
Speaker 1: What the dial said basically is what they'll say to you.
Speaker 14: Yeah, And I would say, this is a rare moment where the Harris campaign and the Trump campaign were in agree, but the dial said that she kicked his ass.
Speaker 4: Really and then Trump campaign was aware of that because I don't know if you saw Donald Trump had numbers.
Speaker 3: I think one of them, ninety one of them was seventy four. I think there was a pie squared in there. Yeah, yeah, he had numbers.
Speaker 14: I thought that was the funniest part when he came into the spin room, because like Trump is full of shit most of the time, and he makes up all kinds of things, but that was one of those things that was the most made up thing on earth. And of course, like the story about how elbred in America wanted Roby Way to go away, which we'll come back to, it was easily verifiable because of course all the networks were going to put up their numbers. You know, CNM was broadcast their numbers a half an hour later and showing that, in fact, all their instapoles. But you so showed that Harris had won. And I'll tell you the other thing is that what she did best on were all of the abortion related questions, all of this stuff about women's reproductor rights.
Speaker 1: Those were the things that stretch.
Speaker 14: She had about two and a half minute answer when she really started to come on strong in the debate, and she got very it was very emotional, very direct, very powerful. They those the dial groups loved that. That was off the charts, even in the I mean in the Druid. These are all undecided voters, so they're essentially different groups that the campaigns are monitoring, but they're all there are no Trump fans in these groups, and there's no Harris fans. These are you know, sensibly people who haven't made up their mind.
Speaker 4: They're they're undecided. There psychotic, insane people. Oh well, I can't wrap my head around. But these these on the side. I mean, there was there was some poll that around thirty percent of people wanted to know more from Kamala Harris. What did people actually learn about Kamala Harris.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll tell you what. I think. There's two ways to look at that.
Speaker 14: You know, when you think about this from the Harris kind of strategic standpoint, one thing was that was the New York Times Cena poll. It basically said there was a lot of people who still don't feel like they know very much about her, and they wanted to know more. That was one thing that you could have tried to aim to do, so tell your story more, to try to explain some of your changes on positions, all that sort of stuff, Right, But if you look back to the history of presidential debates, the way that they are often remembered as who won them and who lost them is on one metric in one metric alum, which is like who commands the stage, who who commanded the sphere of battle? And for a candidate who's run who's in their first general election presidential debate? Bill Clinton and others would say, Americans are watching to see whether they could imagine this person as the commander in chief as president of the United States. Can they go toe to toe with an adversary in the moment? Do they command the debate? Are they is the image of command left in people? So it's a plausibility test. And I just think there's no one with eyes in their head who didn't think that Kamala Harris was the one who commanded the stage last night. And that's why between the dial groups and just the plain obvious thing that Trump as maniacal, irrational, mentally, psychologically, emotionally, spiritually failing as he is at this moment.
Speaker 1: She was you know, was she perfect?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 14: But she was strong, right, And I think that she came across as strong, and she decided to play that prosecutor role, and she played it really well. She was incredibly as you said, well, incredibly well prepared, and she kept coming back to her themes that.
Speaker 1: She wanted to hit.
Speaker 14: Yeah, and I just I mean, I can't as a debate quad debate, which is not how are people going to vote? Eight weeks from now is one of the election days. These people are still undecided. Mostly We're not waking up today going okay, I've decided.
Speaker 3: Well she looked, she looked, she looked presidentially yes. And as you.
Speaker 14: Said in in off camera, I think to these fine people out here, you know, you're dealing with a lunatic. You're you're dealing with a with a pathologically lying insurrection, fomenting democracy, degrading, defiling, asshole and and so allegedly so you're so it's a it's a tough like you imagine how like what that?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 14: Well, I'm a challenge involved in doing that and holding your composure. And I'll say, you know, because no one did this better than John did on the night of the first debate.
Speaker 3: I get it. You like John's doing he did.
Speaker 1: Look, you are He's like, you're comedy hero.
Speaker 14: Like, well, okay, yes, but he put up those pictures of Biden slack John. It was a four box and he's like, when they did the debate prep, did nobody show them the pictures because these don't look great. She was so aware of the split screen and how the split screen would work that I feel like it was like a bizarro world Biden debate a lot of ways last night, right, because Trump, the split screen that with that with Harris was doing to Trump what the split screen with Biden did to Biden. Right, Biden suffered in that split screen with Trump, and Trump suffers in that split screen with her. He looked angry almost throughout we did without the sound on.
Speaker 4: I don't disagree, and I do think I think Kamala looked more than a depth. She did look presidential.
Speaker 3: I think she.
Speaker 4: Was masterful in many ways of both seeming above the frame but also poking him as well. Yes, but this audience is different. I think people don't see Donald Trump. I don't believe people saw that and saw Donald Trump for the first time as a diminished man. He looked angry, but angrier has been something that he's been selling the American public, and there's that forty five percent who love that.
Speaker 3: Do you actually think.
Speaker 1: I don't think that.
Speaker 14: I don't think you're only going to take way Trump voters from Trump. You know, I think what you're what she's trying to get across, I think now is that he is not just the old candidate of the race. Now the generational contrast. She wants to be changed, she wants to be younger, and she is in some ways implicitly pushing like the argument that took down Biden, which is that, I mean Donald Trump's mental acuity. I say this not in a in a just a trashing him kind of way, which I'm I'm happy to do sometimes.
Speaker 3: But I think about a minute and a half ago.
Speaker 14: But he just but he's he's getting worse. I mean, he's never been wholly linear, let's put it that way, right. But if you go back to twenty sixteen when he really won the election with against Clinton, those last ten or twelve days of the election, they managed to get him to talk about trade, the border wall China, and he was actually a pretty disciplined candidate for the crucial ten or twelve days of the election. Now there are a lot of Republicans who look at, well, she has this momentum. What's going to change between now an election day that will hold her momentum. One thing is like some external event, you know, you know, Vladimir Putin does something, China does something, some kind of cyber war, a Russian Martian invasion. You know that someone has to repel on the White House lawn. Another is Harris grew up. You know, she messes up somehow. She didn't do that last night, right, we will agree at that. And the third thing which Republicans all are hoping for and praying for, and that what they've been trying to beg Trump to do is be a disciplined, focused, rigorous, consistent candidate.
Speaker 1: Make these arguments.
Speaker 14: That's we're begging him to do it with this idea in mind, that he can pull it together in these last eight weeks and become this thing that occasionally he was in the past. I just think if you watched that debate last night, there are none of that there. There's none of that there. When he started talking about the dogs and cats and the pets being killed, do you.
Speaker 1: Know how that question started?
Speaker 14: I don't remember what it started with David we were asking him about immigration. Yeah, now in the Biden debate, go back to my bizarro world thing.
Speaker 1: The Biden day debate.
Speaker 14: Rightly, Biden got question about abortion his strength and turned it into an immigration question.
Speaker 1: And that's when you knew he.
Speaker 14: Had really lost it. You're like, what are you doing? You're talking about immigration. They set you up, They put it on the tee abortion, talk about Rugby Wade. Last night, Trump got asked about imigration. Here's the issue he wants to talk about. Sweet, but Harris had baited him on the crowd size thing. He turned away from immigration and then proceeded to discuss the size of his crowds. World War III was coming, the size of his crowds again, and then the apparent obviously completely made up holocaust of the cats, dogs and.
Speaker 3: Pets in Ohio.
Speaker 14: Bear in mind that in the last one hundred years and occupants to the White House, every single one of them has had a pet, except for Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: Because he's a sociopath.
Speaker 4: Because maybe he doesn't like to snack at night, he doesn't.
Speaker 14: The guy cares less about dogs and cats than any occupant ever. And that includes like other bona fide sociopaths, well, that is such an example to you give Donald Trump enough time.
Speaker 3: He's not prepped for anything.
Speaker 4: He's always grasped me that straw and frankly, he's only got a handful of straws.
Speaker 3: Right. He's got his immigration as well as did a couple things.
Speaker 4: He's going to bang that drum and whatever he read on the internet that day, and that's what you see getting an ample. But he brings the Internet to life.
Speaker 14: And you saw Laura, you saw when he arrived in Philly, Laura Lumer, who's like literally the craziest person on the right, crazier than anybody in the history of the right.
Speaker 3: That's all of a crown to wear. That's when she.
Speaker 1: Got off the plane.
Speaker 3: You knew.
Speaker 14: You were like, he's going to be talking about the cat carnage in the non existent cat carnage in Ohio. And I will I will say this again just to the question of can he be a discipline candidate? What's the other thing he was supposed to do last night? Tie Kamala Harris to Joe Biden's economic record. The first time he mentioned it was at the one hour and twenty four minute mark of a one hour and thirty minute debate, and in the way he mentioned it was to say she is Joe Biden. She is Joe Biden. And again back to the split screen, Cali Haras like, I don't really think I'm Joe Biden.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, can people see that I'm not Joe Biden. He did it.
Speaker 14: He finally decided to do what he did so badly that she could just like knock it away.
Speaker 3: With a Laplain.
Speaker 4: Well, she got asked that question right off the bat, and she said, I'm gonna talk about my history.
Speaker 14: That's totally And you heard Jadie Vance afterwards in the spin room where I was talking about how you know Trump made these points in his closing statement. I'm like, ah, now that's a strong candidate, the one who remembers, Hey, it's my closing statement.
Speaker 1: I might want to say that thing about Biden.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 4: And at the end is do people around I guess my question do people around him? One do they really have an expectation of changing Donald Trump in that way? And two did they have a sense of what truly is happening. I hear the moment where Donald Trump comes out and he has those bullshit numbers, and of course he's always pulling out numbers that make the most sense to him. But are they giving him numbers that make him comfortable in that moment? Is what is their awareness? The Trump the Trump circle, what is their awareness of what is happening?
Speaker 14: It's not a monolith, right you know? Trump has now brought Corey Lewandwski back into the fold. Corey Lewandowski is the ultimate. Let Trump be Trump? Can it Trump?
Speaker 1: Corey was exiled. Now he's back.
Speaker 14: His job is to do things that make Trump happy so that he will not be exiled again. The professionals in that group, people like Chris Lossi, Vita the campaign manager, and Casus you Wiles, the co campaign manager. You would say whatever you want about them and their values or whatever in working for Trump, but they are professional people who've run important campaigns before, and they are the ones begging Donald Trump to please talk about how she's in San Francisco liberal, talk about how she's a flip flopper, talk about how she's a phony, talk about trying to make her explain how she went from being in favor of all these liberal positions to being against them. And they are I think constantly must live in hope because if they don't live in the hope that they can change him in some way. You know, the world is very cold and dark if you think that, if you think that this Donald Trump is going to be the Donald Trump, you're going to get for the next fifty five days before.
Speaker 1: Election day because that's a Donald Trump.
Speaker 14: I'm not saying you can't win Jordan, because it's going to be really, really close. But man, I think you know, every Republican strategist in the country looks and says, if this guy ran a standard Republican campaign against her, there's a playbook, and and he would appreciably increase his odds of winning if he were to be able to remotely execute that. And we have no sign that he can. There's this also, the thing you were talking about this a little before. You know, I've been in a lot of spin rooms in my life, you know, and yeah.
Speaker 3: Very and I'm very impressed.
Speaker 4: Pretty cool room to be and you get to hang out with Scaramucci now, and then yeah.
Speaker 1: You get to be with the mooch.
Speaker 14: Here's the thing about this, People go, oh, you're are you in there? Somebody wrote to me last night, a friend who said, were you in the room where it happens. I'm like, no, the press is never in the room where it happens. We don't sit in the debate hall. We sit in a room next to the room where it happens. And we all gets together in a giant room watching it on TV.
Speaker 1: And this is just like you at home.
Speaker 14: And the only advantage is that when it's over, a bunch of professional liars come out and get and we get to be lied to you to our face.
Speaker 4: But that but don't you think there's seven I never miss it. But it feels like we talked about this in the beginning of our show. It feels like Trump thinks that is the room where it happens.
Speaker 3: He doesn't.
Speaker 4: He doesn't prep for a debate to articulate a vision of the future to America. He preps for a time to lick his wounds and bullshit the press with more cameras.
Speaker 3: That's that's where all his energy goes.
Speaker 4: You've got the show, so sadly, people shouldn't be performing for you.
Speaker 3: That's a nightmare.
Speaker 4: People should be Trump should be performing for the people at home. But he doesn't see it that way.
Speaker 1: You know, I think I may have told you the story for a little while twenty fifteen twenty.
Speaker 3: Tell me you don't retell me a story Trump.
Speaker 14: Well, these people haven't heard. Trump liked me for a little while, he liked you. I wrote a tweet about him when he first entered the race in twenty fifteen. I said, you know, the Republican Party is getting more racist, nationalist, and xenophobic.
Speaker 1: I think Donald Trump has a chant to win.
Speaker 14: And I saw him a face to face interview with him the next day and he said, and he after he had tweeted at Jay Hollis, finally started to understand me. And I went did this interview with him, and I said, you know, I thought you might be pissed, and he was like, no. At that moment, it was there were people who didn't think he could win, and people who thought he could win binary And if you were on the side of people who took him seriously, he didn't care. Why you could have said, the whole country is now members of the Brooks Clan Donald Trump's to show in.
Speaker 1: He would have been like, thank you for understanding. He didn't care. He just didn't want to be. He didn't like the people who were saying he has no chance. He's a buffoon.
Speaker 14: He's doing this as a branding exercise. I was on the other side, and for a little while, whenever I would see him, he would say, Heilman, You're starting to understand me.
Speaker 1: We're both German, and that always freaked me.
Speaker 14: Out because because I'm not like really German, like any meaningful way, you know, and I mean the name of I have German from the German descent, but I'm not like I didn't grow up in in Munich, you know, you know, it's not.
Speaker 3: My but he saw something in it.
Speaker 14: Yes, it was very like it was always like a lot of like he's always like you know, yeah, I like, yeah, just you know, starting to come around on hat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the meaner I was, the more he liked.
Speaker 14: Me, until until he then got an office and my secret service code name became that mother. Well that's a that's a step up, it's a step out.
Speaker 1: It was a step up.
Speaker 14: I'll tell you what you can see in the spin room last night, though, is that it's not hard to know these things that you find out from your sources about how the dial groups went. It's not hard to read the faces. And I will tell you I posted a tweet yeah, last night I took a picture as I was walking out of Matt Gates.
Speaker 1: What's his name?
Speaker 3: Uh uh s.
Speaker 14: Miller, Matt Gate, Stephen Miller. And this the skinniest, most inselly looking guy in the world who was carrying their little sad sign out in the spin room. Because they have a little person who carries a sign. If you were in the spin room, they would cary a little sign that would say Clipper on it, or if they wanted to get some attention, it would say Stuart.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, there you go. Jordan.
Speaker 1: Jordan's having a hard time with that, with that, with that wax there.
Speaker 3: It's a it's a hard wag. It's hard.
Speaker 1: Can I have you been have you been skimming on the gym sessions lately?
Speaker 3: He says, I'm waiting to l after the election. You know, uh, this will be good later.
Speaker 1: Yea, But this picture now, I'm not gonna be Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, look at this, look at this. It's tough. The Bourbon's much easier.
Speaker 1: Is there no one around you who can help us? Here?
Speaker 3: That things?
Speaker 1: That's that's really what waxed on it. It's like Miyagi wax on, wax off, Stay focused, all right, I'm trying.
Speaker 3: I'm trying.
Speaker 1: I'm trying.
Speaker 3: I gotta wrap this up. This ain't a Gates.
Speaker 14: Gates, Miller and this little skinny kid, right, they look so sad and uh, you know, I saw the various response tweets. People would say, you know, an incel neo Nazi in a pedophile walk into a bar.
Speaker 1: That's the way, that's the way. A lot of great jokes start.
Speaker 14: And Matt Matt Gates was wearing these white like sketchers with like like job black jogging pants as his suit bottoms and then a suit jacket on top. I mean, he looked like he was ready for a del Boca Vista basically at his age.
Speaker 4: I mean, honestly, I think that's a step forward. If he's trying to appeal to the older folks. I think, you know, I'll take it with Met Gates.
Speaker 1: But I'll tell you.
Speaker 14: When I looked at that, I was thinking about you know what I what I had thought is I heard about the dial groups from the insiders of the campaign. I thought, you know, David Pluff, David Binder, the focus group, pulling impresario from Obama who's now working for Harris. They are not like champagne popping types. You know, they're like they like try to keep But they were metaphorically popping champagne corks last night. At how well that are handed it did in the Trump world. They were popping like either like male ex or conapin, I don't know which, but they were.
Speaker 1: They were not there.
Speaker 14: And when those guys showed up and I looked at them, I was like, those guys are either very very sad, very very drugged up, or.
Speaker 1: Someone killed their pets.
Speaker 14: Maybe that's they lost their They looked like a bunch of guys who have their had their cats and dogs like taken out by some imaginary Haitians in Ohio.
Speaker 4: Yeah, take it from the sad Man and the sketchers. I think that's how the debate weds. Be sure to check out John's column at Puck and It's podcast at Politics We got home, May I look a.
Speaker 3: Quick gray right back half of this that's our Choseph tonight. But before we go, it's election season.
Speaker 4: We are working with headcount to make sure you and your friends are good to vote. Did you know that your friends are much more likely to vote when the ass comes from you, So if you get three friends to make sure they're good to vote. You could be entered to win a trip to New York City for a backstage experience on the set of The Daily Show. Take action now by texting TDS two five seven five six eight, or by going to the link below now here it is your moment?
Speaker 3: Is that okay? Michael Steele?
Speaker 15: You were quite animated when I saw you in the Hollway earlier about that's big. I'm gonna see what you're gonna tell me you think of the debate that you told me in the whahwait, what was your take on the debate?
Speaker 3: Michael? Still go ahead? Was the k moment? She spanked that ass? I'm sorry, that's what she did.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus
Speaker 3: Paramount Podcasts.