Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to another episode of Snake's Territory, part of the Foul Territory Network. Be sure to like this video, subscribe to our YouTube channel, maybe leave us a five star review wherever you get your podcasts. I am Jesse Friedman alongside Jack Summers and Jack Just as we all expected, the Arizona Diamondbacks finished the first half of their season going into LA and not just winning the series, but sweeping the Los Angeles Dodgers. They did it in emphatic fashion, outscoring LA twenty three to eight. The Dodgers made all sorts of mistakes over the weekend. The Diamondbacks played some of the best defense that we've seen from them. It was a very impressive showing all the way around.
Speaker 2: Somewhat shocking the way the Saturday and Sunday games turned out. I mean, you know, you have Momoto on the mound, uh and he'd only given up one run, and all of a sudden, they just bang him for five more. Certainly didn't expect to see that. I think that really that punch in the mouth really shocked the Dodgers. It was shocking how badly they played. I mean, they were the top defensive rated team by fielding run value at stack cast. I believe, you know, in the Major League Baseball d Backs were number two. I kind of felt the whole series like, Wow, they're really missing Will Smith. That just kind of really stuck with me. And then on Sunday, they clearly wanted to win. I mean, they put in all their starters, you know, they kept them in all game. I mean they were trying to win. They like they didn't want the embarrassment of being swept, and you know, the Dbacks still come back and beat them. So yeah, I mean, very impressive that that sixth inning yesterday. I'm sure we're going to get to that as we get into the details, but that was just mind blowing defense one, two, three, It's just incredible stuff. So it was fun series, fun weekend, certainly on expect.
Speaker 1: The Diamondbacks with this sweep, was their first sweep at Dodger Stadium since September fourth to six of twenty seventeen, and that series was particularly memorable for Diamondbacks fans because that's when JD. Martinez had his four home run game. It was the first game of that series. Robbie Ray I looked back at the box score Robbie Ray also through seven to two third scoreless innings with fourteen strikeouts. Somehow that performance gets, you know, kind of overshadowed by what JD did in that game. But just to give a little perspective, it's been almost a decade since the Diamondbacks had managed to do this. Granted, there's also what happened in twenty twenty three, which I guess was not was not all at Dodger Stadium, but two of those games were, and that probably feels much more significant than this sweep or the series back in twenty seventeen. But nonetheless, some of the Diamondbacks have really not been able to do much of in recent history, and I thought it was interesting after the finale of this series, Jack Paul Sewald said he was very open about this. He said, every game matters a lot before August third, and it felt that way. Over the course of the weekend, it felt like the Diamondbacks were truly going all out and trying to do everything they possibly could and had a recognition of truly how important every single game is between now and the trade deadline. We saw this last year where the Diamondbacks pressed going into the deadline and it was, you know, some of the worst baseball we saw them play all season. Maybe this twenty twenty sixteen can flip the script and get hot and do what needs to be done to force Mike Haysen's hand going into August third.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it was really interesting when Paul said that, and I kind of utilized that on Twitter. I quote tweeted Jody's post of that interview because a lot of people still feel like, well, it's still early, there's a long way a lot of baseball left to play, but they're all looking at this in the context of the trade deadline, which is right around the corner. And so that's the key, you know, because if they don't play well between now and August third, or a week before that, then they're going to be in a situation where Mike's not going to want to add to the team or he may even sell off pieces. And none of them want to be in that position. Again. Now, why did it take a couple of bad games in San Diego to have them get that sense of urgency? Was it? Really? You know? I mean they were flat for two games in San Diego and played sloppy baseball, and that was that was very disheartening to see and they needed quite the wake up call should have happened earlier. And you know, so any criticisms that fall back on the manager and the coaching staff for not helping the players get prepared, I'm not going to push back against that at all. But at the same time, it's up to the players to do it and go out and perform and perform like you know, it's necessary right now, and they showed that this weekend in Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: Getting into the details here, of course, we already discussed the Friday game in our post game show on Friday night, but we'll start We'll start from the end here the finale. Diamondbacks win five to three. Mitch Bratt started this game for the Diamondbacks. We'll get into what happened with Zach Gallen a little bit later in the show, but Bratt was called upon to make this start for Arizona. He didn't look great. His first pitch was an eighty nine mile per hour center cup fastball to show i Otani, and Otani did sort of what you expect and hit it about four hundred and thirty feet. Bratt was not sharp for those three innings. The Diamondbacks trailed three nothing at that point, and then the bullpen just dominated the rest of the way. Diamondbacks bullpen.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It was six innings, It was not only no runs, but it was no hits. In fact, Dre Jamison is the only d Backs reliever the entire weekend who allowed a base hit. Dbacks relievers did not allow a hit on Saturday or Sunday. It was just Dre who allowed the two hits in the game on Friday. So really impressive stuff from the Diamondbacks bullpen, and they were able to get just enough offense as well to claw their way back and ultimately win this game five to three. Tim Tala kind of put the exclamation point on this one in the ninth inning with a solo home run. Gave the d Backs a bit more of a cushion there. And what a series it was for Tim Taba Jacks seven for thirteen, two homers, two doubles, seven runs batted in. Wasn't just the Friday game. He really made a statement the entire weekend.
Speaker 2: That was a lot of fun tweeting out that in a secret transaction, Christian wat transferred the d to Dodger Stadium over to Tim Tala. Obviously that's hype, but pastic series for Tim. Great to see. I mean, the deep Jacks really needed that production from first base, and Tim Tower really needed to, you know, come in hot and show that he can be a major league player. You know, he's been slapped by most fans with that four A label, and I've always felt like the potential was there for Tim to play and hit a lot better than he has in the major leagues. He got off to a very good start and as we pointed out last show in his first thirteen games in Major league baseball, and then just struggled for the longest time after that. And you know, of course his first eighty or so played appearances this year, so you know, goes to tripa a bangs the ball off of every wall and over every wall, and then comes back and plays like he's played this past weekend. Fantastic to see, you know, And I hope he can not keep up this pace, because nobody could. But you know, I hope that he's able to continue to contribute and be a strong contributor at the bottom of the order. The Dbacks really need that, and that may take some of the urgency off of Mike, you know, to go out and overpay for a bet or a first baseman at the trade deadline. I mean, if they come out of the All Star break and Tim just picks up where he left off, then you know you have a completely different dynamic of what might may be looking to do.
Speaker 1: I think what made this sweep so so striking is that the Diamondbacks got almost nothing from their top three hitters, and that's just been such a huge storyline the whole season is that you know, if Katl Perdomo, Carrol, and I guess Moreno is part of that group as well, if those guys don't do it, it's not going to happen for this offense. And Marte, Perdomo and Carol, the top three hitters combined to go two for thirty six with eleven strikeouts in this series, and yet the bottom of the order just carried so much of the load. Eildamar Vargas had a couple of hits in the game on Sunday we mentioned what Tim Tawa managed to do. James McCann had a huge game on Saturday hit a couple of homers there. Nolan Arnado had a nice series as well, RBI double in the game yesterday, and it was the kind of performance from the bottom of the lineup that I'm not sure I knew it was possible. I mean, it just didn't feel like the bottom of the lineup could carry the Diamondbacks over the course of an entire series, much less against a team like the Dodgers. But there were contributions just from all over the place from the bottom two thirds of the lineup, and the Diamondbacks have gotten as little as any team in baseball from that group over the course of the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Rob Friedman pointed out that Yamamoto had not allowed a home run on a sinker all year, and of course James McCann had homer it all year, So of course what happens. We have a you can't predict baseball moment and McCann's, you know, hits a three on homer just landed on top of that shelf. But that would have been a home run in twenty seven out of thirty ballpark, So it wasn't a cheap eat in that regard. I mean, I'm almost beware that's a home run. But that was just a perfectly encapsulated moment for this whole series right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they and they intentionally walked to Nolan Arnado beforehand, which I was a little surprised by that. Obviously, Arnado has much better numbers this year than McCann, but last year McCann actually had better numbers. And it just felt to me like, if you're a Yoshinobu Yamamoto, you're not like that afraid of facing Nolan Arnado in that moment. But I don't know, Jack, I guess he Yamamoto sort of attempted bait there. And James mccannon talked after the game about there being a bit of a pride element when the guy in front of you gets intentionally walked, and he responded not only with that three run home run, but another home run later in the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then of course Brandon fought. I mean, he was absolutely fabulous, you know. I mean, he was perfect through the first three innings, twenty seven pitches, nine nine down. It doesn't get any better than that, you know. Now, he pitched out of trouble in the fourth inning. He had first and third jam with I think one out, and he got out of that jam very impressively. You know, gotta pop out, got a ground out, you know, and he'ssally pitching through the teeth of their order too, So that was and then he comes right back out for the fifth, three up, three down, gave up a couple of runs in the sixth, and you know, Tory got him out of there, which I was fine with. But for me, the biggest thing with Brandon's outing is just I'm loving what I'm seeing in the way he's sequencing and attacking left hand hitters. You know, he's basically ditched the sinker. It's fastballs, fastballs up and then the change up and curveball looked really good, you know, and then that mix and the way he's executing on those pitches has really made all the difference in his ability to control, uh, you know, in this case a very strong left hand hitting lineup. So you know that's the recipe. Uh, you know, just go with the force eimer, change up, curveball, and I think that's enough for him if he executes on those pitches, don't use don't bother with the sweeper against left ease, and you know, ditch the sinker. Those aren't going to be very effective there. So they've got a new game plan and you know between that and has cleaned up, streamedlined mechanics. You know, he looks like a different guy. Still got some of that third time through the order bugaboo, But you know most pictures do. Most pictures struggle the third time through unless they're elite. So you know, we'll still have to keep an eye on that. You know, hopefully he's able to get over that hump as well.
Speaker 1: Brandon Garcia very much saved the day there in that sixth inning, Dodgers turned a six nothing Dbacks lead into six to two, still had a couple of guys on base, and then yeah, who else with Brandon Garcia to come in and get the d Backs out of that. Jam Garcia has been outstanding for the Diamondbacks. Just comparing the bullpens in the series, the d Backs twelve and two thirds innings two hits allowed the whole weekend again, just the two by Dre Jamison, one run, two walks, fourteen strikeouts. The Dodgers' bullpen. On the other hand, d Backs of course did a lot of damage against the Dodgers' bullpen in their bullpen game on Friday, and then d Backs continued to be able to score against that group. Dodgers bullpen fourteen innings of work in the series, twelve runs, eight of the merned, so there were four unearned runs. Again, this was about the sloppiest series that we've seen from the Dodgers that I can remember. But yeah, not real often that you see the Diamondbacks bullpen just utterly, you know, outperformed the opposing bullpen by a wide margin. Yet that was a big part of the narrative of this series. So really really impressive weekend for the Diamondbacks. Of course, the standings now look quite a bit different, quite a bit more interesting than they did a few days ago. So on the other side of this break, we're going to talk about the standings where the dbacs sit right now. We'll also discuss Zach Gallon and his situation, get to some other injury updates as well, So don't go anywhere. We'll be back on sneak Stertory right after this.
Speaker 3: Many people have this problem. I want to eat healthy. I have the willpower, I don't have the time and the organization. I need help.
Speaker 1: What do you do?
Speaker 4: I mean you go to factor. I got two boys that are looking for the gains and they always come in the house.
Speaker 2: I'm looking for food.
Speaker 4: Now. They have actual healthy food that is great for them, and you know what, it's ready in the fridge for them to pop in and make it right away.
Speaker 3: And they have meals built around your goals. It could be weight loss, overall, nutrition gains, more protein, fresh never frozen, over one hundred rota weekly meals, including globally inspired flavors like Mediterranean and Asian. I get all kinds of different salads from Factor that I love quick easy. They can be ready in two minutes. Head to Factor Meals dot com. Slash Foul fifty off and use code Foul fifty o FF to get fifty percent off and free daily Green's per box with new subscription only while supplies last until nine twenty seven, twenty six.
Speaker 1: We are back here on Snakes Territory. I really appreciate all of you being here with us once again, if you haven't already, really helps us out. If you would drop a like on this video, and while you're at it, subscribe to the channel. Hit the bell icon for notifications so you never miss an episode of the show. Get a hat one of these cool Snakes Territory hats. You can get that over at Snakes Territory shop dot com. A lot of other fun stuff to be had over there as well well.
Speaker 2: Jack.
Speaker 1: On Friday, in our postgame show, we were talking about Zach Gallon and how it appeared were maybe going to use an opener for his start on Sunday. It looks like that's the direction that the things were headed, and yet that did not wind up happening. In fact, Zach Gallon did not make his Sunday start at all. Instead, we received word over the weekend that Gallon was going on the injured list with right elbow inflammation. According to Diamondbacks manager Tory Lavello, Gallon had some discomfort in his elbow after his start against San Diego. He had an MRI. Those that MRI showed only in inflammation, so no structural damage or anything. But it doesn't look like a foregone conclusion that Gallon will return after the minimum fifteen days. Tory said it would be at least fifteen, so we'll see what happens here. Obviously, it hasn't been a good season at all for Zach Gallen, But on the other hand, this rotation is thinned out quite a bit here in the last month and it would probably be good for them to get him back sooner than later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, combined with the Soroka situation where he was pushed back. I think we talked about that on Friday as well. You know, I'm not sure that Michael Soroka is going to make it back before you know, July twenty fifth or thirtieth anyway, so you know, they're now they're kind of up against it. Obviously a lot of people will feel like Zach going down as addition by subtraction, he was having a really rough year. But the bottom line is he is not eligible to return before July twenty fourth, and it's going to be at least that long. As Tori said, maybe you know, he comes back before the trade deadline. I don't know if there's any showcasing to be done. You know, maybe Soroka makes it back before the trade deadline. But the Dbacks are really going to, you know, have to find a way to patch together innings. Obviously, Mitch Bratt didn't have a great game yesterday. We expect them to bring back Jose Cabrera after the break and slot him back into the rotation. So, you know, I think that it's pretty strong likelihood that if Mike Haysen does end up, you know, making a buy type trade, he's going to be looking for a starting pitcher.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that's probably fair, and I mean, certainly it would not come cheaply. You wouldn't expect it to. So part of me is maybe skeptical that Mike Hasen would push the Chips in to the extent of getting a starter, because I do think the cost there would be pretty pretty high. But that brings us into our standings and where the Diamondbacks sit after this weekend sweep. Things are looking quite a bit better here. They are now just two and a half games behind the Miami Marlins, who are now have sole possession of that third wild card spot. The Phillies have kind of moved moved up a couple of games. D Bacs still have two teams between them and that third wild card spot. It's the Pirate and the Cardinals, but the San Diego Padres are now a game below the Diamondbacks and the Washington Nationals now a game and a half below them. So I think a few days ago you looked at the standings and it was sort of like, all right, you're still in striking distance, but this feels like a serious uphill battle and it probably isn't worth pushing the chips in on this team. I think if the d Backs maintain this sort of position going into the trade deadline, I do think this is a scenario where Mike Hazen would push the chips in. And I guess that brings us to this lovely little by Sello meter that we keep going back to, and we've got it leaning toward the by side, not all the way toward the by side, but I think the d Backs are comfortably within that range right now at two and a half games out of the playoffs.
Speaker 2: I do believe that Mike's going to make some kind of push unless they come out of the break and fall flat on their face. You know, even if they, like say, went three and three or something in their first six games out of the break, I think they're still likely to want to try to add to the team. But how he adds, what kind of players he's looking, will be influences very much by how they do in that first part of the schedule. You know, if you take a look at the schedule coming up out of the break, I mean, it's really you know, you got three against the Cardinals, and then you've got three against the A's, and then you've got to go to Saint Louis and play a game that makeup game for the rein out, and then you play the Washington Nationals and the Pittsburgh Pirates. So you know, you've got ten games against teams that you're fighting for the playoff spot. If you look at the trade deadline, it's the third of August, but they got to make decisions before that, and they probably got to make their final like directional push by July twenty fifth or twenty six. It would be my guest now if they came out and won five in a row or six in a row through July twenty second, or one five out of seven, you know, including that game in Saint Louis, that might be enough to push Mike into that strong by position. So still some games to play yet before I think they make their final determination of where they're at. I could be wrong. They may have already decided based on what they saw this past weekend, but they're generally pretty conservative and they want to gather all the information that they can before they make a decision. So that's my guess, look for you know, maybe that first ball to drop around the twenty fifth or so thereabouts.
Speaker 1: I think, especially with this team, it is important to you know, not let the highs be too high or the lows be too low, right, I mean a few days ago, after that second loss in San Diego, it was like, all right, this team, it really doesn't feel like this season is going anywhere. And then in typical Diamondbacks fashion, right, they come back and they peak your interest again. They go out and they win the finale in San Diego, they sweep the Dodgers, and now they're right back in the thick of it. As I've said many times on this show, for this organization, things are rarely as good as they seem at times or as bad as they seem at times. This team tends to settle somewhere in the middle and keep your interest while maybe not quite Yes, yes, they're very good at alluring people back in from time to time after they lose interest. Certainly this weekend was that we do have some more trade deadline topics to get into. There was an interesting story from our good friend Bob Nightingale over the weekend. But before we get there, I did want to mention one other injury update. Tommy Troy unfortunately hurt his shoulder in the game on Saturday. Made a really nice catch up against the center field wall at Dodger Stadium, but it looked like he just didn't know exactly where he was when he made the play, and the level of impact on his shoulder or was a lot greater than I think he expected. So initially it was just announced as a contusion, but Tommy Troy after the game seems a little bit less sure about that diagnosis, And we just got word the d Backs are going to have him get an MRI in Arizona on Monday, so his status is kind of to be determined.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean a few days ago they had six outfielders. What are they gonna do with all these outfielders and now all of a sudden they do not. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So no no updates on Tommy just yet, but over the course of the All Star break, maybe we hear something there. Maybe it waits until the d Backs start things up again in Saint Louis on Friday, but hopefully all is well there.
Speaker 2: For that at Chase Field, they're home on Friday.
Speaker 1: Oh did I say they're on the road. Yes, yes, they are playing against the Saint Louis Cardinals, but that is a home series. They will still have to play a road game against Saint Louis between now and the trade deadline because of that whole rainout situation that I don't think the organization is happy about, understandably so. But yes, that weekend series is at home against the Cardinals. Jack, I guess we'll jump into some of the trade deadline updates that we got here in the past twenty four hours or so. Bob Nightingale wrote a story on Sunday his Sunday column and had several topics relating to the Diamondbacks In there. He mentioned that the Tampa Bay Rays have interest in Katel Marte, but he also mentioned the d Backs have told teams that Kutel with his ten and five rights, would veto any deal that was offered. So I don't think Katel is going anywhere. We said it over the offseason. You know, once he got to the point of having ten and five rights, pretty unlikely he gets traded at any point in his Diamondbacks tenure.
Speaker 2: Well, there's one thing that could change that, and that would be that if at the end of the season. If Tory's let go, we're not brought back. You know, Katel has been very close to Tory and kind of looked at him almost like a father figure, And so if Tory wasn't there, Katl might change his mind. People change their minds in life. But I don't expect anything to happen as trade deadline for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The other interesting update in here was that the Phillies has shown on the screen have interest in Lordis Guriel junior. Phillies could use a right handed hitting outfielders. I think a lot of teams could. Unfortunately, Guriel's numbers are not particularly great. He's hitting two eleven with a five point fifty one ops. Seems like he's been pretty steadily kind of in that range at ops in the mid five hundreds for a while now. As we've said, he's hitting occasional singles, but he's slugging two ninety two. It's pretty much just all singles from him right now. It's a little hard for me to believe that the Lies actually have much interest in this version of Guriel, or at the very least that they'd be willing to give up much of anything to acquire him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not only that, but on Sunday, you know, he ran to his right on a line drive off the bat of Max Muncie, and as he was doing it, he really looked like his knee locked up. He winced and pained as his leg hit the ground, and he kind of like popped up, you know, like you know how you jump up when your knee locks. He did that maneuver, and then he like bent over and was playing with his pant leg. But really he was, you know, trying to recover from from a jolt that he got in his knee and then in his bat the next half, next half inning, he went down to one knee, and then he came out of the game, of course, which he probably would have anyway with Org Barossa going out to center field. So between those issues, I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if come Friday we find out that Lords has an issue as well. Didn't I didn't see any news about that after the game. But he's pretty banged up, and as you point out, he's not hitting. So if the Phillies were interested in him, I'm sure they had a scout in the stands in Los Angeles and they couldn't have liked what they saw, so I'm not all that optimistic that Philly would follow through on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the narrative of the series was very much like you know, you got you got a lot of production from unexpected places. Lords Guriel was not really a part of that. He went oh for nine in the Dodgers series with a couple of strikeouts. So uh yeah, maybe Buriel, in theory could could draw some interest and and maybe the Diamondbacks would be willing to deal him given that they do have some depth in the outfield, But kind of to be determined on that. Bob Nightingale also included in his story. He said the DBACH starters at Wardo Rodriguez, Michael Soroka, Merrill Kelly, and Zach Gallon could all be available via trade. He also mentioned Paul c Wald's name. Seawald finishes the first half twenty two for twenty three and save opportunities. He's rattled off a few good outings in a row, so I could maybe see other teams having some interest in Seawald at this point, but yeah, no huge surprises. Jack that if the dbacs were to sell, then all of those guys would would be on the table.
Speaker 2: Sure, you know, but Soroka and Need's approved, He's healthy. At Dwarter Rodriguez is still load over thirty million dollars and teams are going to be hesitant to absorb all of that, especially considering his peripherals. As great a season as he's having, Teams are not going to buy into a Dwarter Rodriguez being worth thirty million dollars to him over the next you know, eight months of baseball just based on his peripherals. As harsh as that may sound, and listen, I love what he's doing. Don't at me in the comments on this one, please, I'm.
Speaker 5: Just thinking, like a GM, They're not gonna you know, an opposing GM isn't going to take on all thirty plus million with a guy with a six for nine strikeout rate and three plus walk rate three plus per nine walk rate.
Speaker 2: That just doesn't really happen. I mean, they're they're going to have to look for how much the Dbacks are willing to absorb of that salary. So I don't know, I mean, somebody's got to pitch not only the rest of this season but next year as well, you know, So the Dbacks for what they would probably get back for Duarto. I think that they're better off just holding now. I could be completely wet on this. Sometimes teams grossly overpay for starting pitching at the deadline, And if the d Backs come out and you know, lay an egg the first six games and lose a bunch and some team wants to pony up more than they should for Eduardo, then they might pull the trigger there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's I think that's totally fair. I am in full agreement. I know there's been some chatter about the Diamondbacks making Eduardo Rodriguez available, but but yeah, I do not do not anticipate. I mean and hopefully the Diamondbacks writer are not in position to sell anyway, and they're looking to at a starter and not subtract to one. But even if they were, I think trading Eduardo very unlikely to make sense for them or probably other teams, given what the Dbacks would be looking for there. So that's kind of the story with the trade deadline. Some some good updates there from Bob Nightingale over the weekend. Of course, we'll continue to have these conversations in the coming days here in a moment while also talk about the draft what the Diamondbacks did in the early rounds. That's another thing that happened over the weekend. So much news to get to. Before we do that, though, it is time for our Daily Dingers segment here on snakes Territory. Well, Snake's Territory is brought to you by fan Duel Baseball fans. The MLB season is in full swing, and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call your shot with Daily Dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why fan Duel is the home of home runs. Jack. I guess there's a few different directions we could go here. We could think about the All Star Game on Tuesday. Corbyn Carroll, of course, is the Dbacks only position player representative, and the way that he has looked lately a little hard to maybe take him as a home run threats right now, but who knows. He did just miss a home run in the game on Sunday. Got to hang and change up and almost hit it out. So maybe he's an option or I don't know, maybe we want to just take Tim Tawa against the Saint Louis Cardinals on Friday. Now that he seems to be heating up.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I think Corbyn is an interesting case study, right, you know, if he catch a branking pitch, then we know that breaking or off speed, he's got a good chance to put it out. Unfortunately, teams are just killing him with fastballs. Yeah, but it's the All Star Game, so he'd probably see mostly fastballs. But if he catches, you know, if he gets a shot at a breaking pitch or a change up, then then he might pop one out of there. So that's that's always a good, you know, fun bet to make if you want to be a homer about it, you know, Corbyn Carroll, that would be a fun one to cash in on, for sure if you're a Diamondback fan. But I'm going to go back to Gabrielle Moreno. Sure, he's just been playing so well and hitting so well, and I think, especially for a catcher, you know, gets his four days off, gets his legs back under him, I think he'll come right back out of the Gate rejuvenated and rested up well, and I think that'll benefit him as much as anybody else. So that's my guy.
Speaker 1: Diamondbacks have really been using Gabrielle Moreno a lot. It's been several series in a row now that Moreno has started every single game in the lineup, he has d eight some games. It's like they're having him catch every single time. But dbacs haven't been as willing to play that card in the past, and they also haven't needed to as much. You know, they've had more depth in the lineup, they've had other interesting DH options to use, but now Gaby Moreno, his bat is very, very important and he has been red hot lately, So good pick there. Head on over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com Slash podcast to opt in for daily Dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer, playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 6: No purchase necessary, opt in required, bonus issued, does non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot Com gambling problem caller tex one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: Before we get out of here, we did want to touch just briefly on what the Diamondbacks did in the draft. I'll say on the front end in our Thursday show well, which will be our next episode. We're planning to have a special guest on who knows anything and everything about the drafts and will be able to help us dive more deeply into all of these guys. But we'll hit on at least a name or two here. Jack Diamondbacks in the first round took Ryder Helfric out of the University of Arkansas, a catcher. He was generally projected to go somewhere in the number seven to eleven range roughly looking at some of the mock drafts that were released publicly. He fell to the Diamondbacks at number fifteen, and they seem pretty happy about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were really excited to get him. You know. They line up their board and he fell to them and they grabbed him. Ian Rebin had some interesting comments about Helfric. One point that was really interesting to me was the book on Helfric was though he has power, there's a lot of swing and miss, and he has difficulty with spin. However, was adamant that Helfik made a lot of improvements during this past season, and really their underlying metrics showed that his ability to handle spin improved quite a bit. Defense is his calling card. He's got grades out terrifically both as he throws, as a game caller, framing everything, and a lot of power. He's got a lot of pop questions house the hit tool, but Rebin was very confident that the hit tool is better than the industry was thinking.
Speaker 1: We do have a quote a quote here from Ian Rebin himself. He said, I think you're getting a premium defensive catcher.
Speaker 6: Here.
Speaker 1: He led the entire country and all the objective defensive metrics. He can really throw, He controls the running game. I think he's one of the only college catchers in the country that are calling his own game. He can manage a pitching staff. And then, as you alluded to, Rebin continues, on the offensive side of the ball, you're getting someone who's made a ton of strides in the last three years. He controls this zone. He's going to walk, he's going to get on base, he's going to hit for power. So I think you're getting a really intriguing catcher that is going to bring you value on both sides of the ball, both from a power and on base perspective, and then being an elite receiver. So yeah, this is a profile that we've seen succeed in the majors. It sounds a whole lot to me like cal rally if it all comes together, which I know that's a lofty comp to make, but a guy where the hit tool is not necessarily the best, but he draws walks and still finds his way on base, good defensively, has a lot of power. I think cal Rawley is sort of the type of player you could dream on here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just a note, It was on follow up question after Rebin did his rundown that we asked him about, you know, the hit tool and the spin issues, and that's when he responded that he felt like this past season in particular is where he made the improvements with regards to the spin issue.
Speaker 1: Diamondbacks with their competitive balance around a pick, We'll hit on that one real quick. They took right handed pitcher Blake Bryant out of Citizens Christian Academy, So High School a high school pick there, one of just two high school picks that the Diamondbacks made in all twenty rounds. And yeah, the calling card here is the athleticism. We have a quote here from Revn once again said this is all just all about just premium athleticism, premium strikes now stuff, velocity. Starting with him off the baseball field. I mean, he is an elite athlete, He was an exceptional basketball player in high school. Really intrigued by the athlete, just your prototypical projection high school pitcher that we think has a ton of development, runway, a ton of upside, and just really excited to get the raw traits that we're getting with Blake into the organization. He was I think MLB pipeline had him at number sixty five. But there's kind of a consensus going into the drafted after the first few picks, anything could happen, and there's there's quite a bit of depth in this draft as well. At least that was kind of the the industry perception. So interesting pick here, Jack. On one hand, it's maybe difficult to feel confident about the Diamondbacks taking a high school pitcher. I think we can be real about that and say, you know, their track record developing pitching in general is not great, and I guess they haven't tried it much with high school pitchers, but we don't have a ton of success stories there over the years. Nonetheless, this is a way to get really excellent stuff into your organization in a way that's harder to find coming out of college, you know, in that area.
Speaker 4: In the draft.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the big question is is Willie sign? The fact is is that Okay, he was ranked sixty fifth, he was picked thirty first, his slot values three point one two million dollars. But he was an early Clemson commit back in twenty twenty two. So you know, is this kid going to want to go to college? Is he going to be confident to go into the Diamondbacks organization? Is his representation going to say, hey, yeah, go ahead and sign with this team, you know? Or is he going to go with I shouldn't say representation. His advisors can't have representation. If you are going to go to college, if you hire an agent, then you're ineligible for the NCAA. So but he can't have an advisor. And are his advisors going to tell him, you know, hey, you need to go back to college because the d bacs are not the right place to try to develop a high school pitcher. So there's that potentiality. And this is kind of where Jeremy Blis is really going to make his money and earn his paycheck, right because these are the types of areas and the types of pictures. They brought in a lot of stuff guys, which we're here more about on Thursday, you know, and are they going to be able to develop these guys going forward? So interesting dynamic there one of only two high school players they took in the draft, you know, the other just I want to mention briefly, number eleven, Cody Bochell, a high school player that is a first baseman and a power first basement. So you know, they use their second high school pick on an eighteen year old that hits bombs, which is kind of intriguing, and again, will they be able to sign him, So keep your eyes out for that. In between that, they picked a lot of guys that were probably you can't say reached, but they were just ranked lower than their draft slot position. So the d bacs may be angling to save a little money to make sure that they can in other areas so that they can make sure they sign Blake and they can maybe go ahead and sign Boschelle as well.
Speaker 1: If memory serves here, Jack, I thinkast the last high school pitcher that the Diamondbacks took around this area in the draft, like really high up, I think is Blake Walston. Back in twenty nineteenth, d Backs took him twenty six overall, and you know, I remember at the time it was like, all right, this is a guy who's six', five you, know doesn't weigh a ton one's seventy one, eighty but he's very. Projectible, Right maybe he's throwing low nineties, now but you could dream on him throwing ninety five ninety six as he continues to. Mature and unfortunately that that just never happened For blake at least hasn't up to this. Point so, yeah the track record here isn't. Great but also the dbacs haven't haven't taken swings like this much in recent. Years so maybe With Jeremy blisch and some of the new pitching, infrastructure maybe they're they're better equipped to help someone like this reaches his. Potential so, interesting interesting pick. There if you want more draft, chatter we will give it to you in our next. Episode i'm just going to throw his name out. There we are planning to Have Jordan schusterman From Baseball, barbercast WHICH i think is pretty much the best baseball podcast on Planet, earth or number Two i'm, sure of, course But Baseball barbaricas is excellent what he does With Jake. Mince jordan knows the draft up and. Down WHEN i asked him if he would join, us he was, like oh, YEAH i can even talk about The diamondbacks twentieth round, pick which is something that very few people in this industry can. Say so On, Thursday we're excited to Have jordan on the show for a segment and then, yeah that will be our next. Episode of, Course All star break here the next couple of. Days hope everyone enjoys the home run derby, tonight The All Star game itself, tomorrow maybe we get to see that home run From Corbyn carrol or maybe we See Eduardo rodriguez get to throw an inning in that. Game should be a lot of fun to. Watch as, always you can find us on social. MEDIA i am At jesse And friedman On. Twitter jack is at Sho wizard fifty nine and our show is At Snake's. Territory you can Find jack's written work over At Arizona diamondbacks ON. Si also want to shout Out Alex, dagostino who wrote this story that we're pulling quote from about the. Draft alex did a lot of great writing about The diamondbacks draft picks over, there so be sure to check that out as.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Jack any final thoughts here as we head into The All star, Break.
Speaker 2: WELL i WISH i could say THAT i was going off to do a bunch of fun stuff during the, break BUT i have lots of chores and paperwork to catch up on for the next three, days so that's What i'll be. Doing hope you all have fun and we'll see you On. Thursday there we.
Speaker 1: Go, yeah hopefully not all of you are doing. CHORES i think that's pretty much what my next few days is going to look like as, well but hopefully some of you have some better plans than we. Do thank you again for being with us on this. Episode we really appreciate your, time and we'll be back once again On thursday with another edition Of Snake's. Territory