Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 3: Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This He's Talking Cowboys, live from the Dallas Cowboys World at the Star in Friscodown.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Talking Cowboys, presented by a Black Rifle Coffee, the official coffee sponsored Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: We are live from the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 4: Here in the s WBC podcast studio, I am Josh Rodriguez, still filling in for Kyle Yeomans here with Nick Harris, Isaiah standback, John Machoda with Christopher Beemer in the back.
Speaker 5: This is the real live show that airboy should be watching, not the dog on Tom Brady roast.
Speaker 3: It's like that, Yeah, it really is.
Speaker 4: I'm killing you for being here with you guys, seriously, it's so.
Speaker 3: It's great to be here.
Speaker 6: I know you had like a plan for the show, Josh, but we should just pivot and make off the sand Back roast the entire you know that. Yeah, honestly, I think you would be like you're you're pretty easy, Like.
Speaker 4: You could take it John you first, Yeah, lay into him, man.
Speaker 3: It's like, that's it, that's the joke that was you watched it, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's amazing, so good yea, Like we were just saying before that we started doing the show right here, like of all the live event type stuff like awards, roasts, everything, anything that's like live TV, I'll put I'll put that thing up against any of it. It was so it was I mean from beginning to end. I mean it's not for everybody. There's there's gonna be jokes in there that people aren't gonna probably like here, I appreciate whatever, but man, that thing was Who was the best? So from a comic standpoint, I thought it was Nicky Glazer. She was She she's dead. I mean, that's her business, that's what she does. I mean, she's very good at what she does. Now, the other people that were up there, it's just very clear that their jokes were written by somebody professionally, but you still have to deliver them.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But I honestly, to me, it's not even about the best. It's that really nobody was bad. Yeah, you know they're like I said, Ben Affleck was kind of you could it was okay. I think they're a Patriots fan. You probably liked it because he came at it for more of a Patriots fan standpoint, but just you said Wes Welker. But outside of that, like, I can't think of anybody that wasn't there that you'd want to be there, other than maybe Eli Manning, but I'm even Peyton Manning being there. I mean, it was just he.
Speaker 6: Did tweet about me and he was like, I would have shown him to the roast, but I didn't want to beat him for a third time or something like that.
Speaker 3: Didn't want to roast.
Speaker 1: And I'm telling you, if you watched the whole thing and you were ranking jokes, that thing probably runs about number thirty seven on the list because there was just so much stuff that I thought I figured would be now that's gonna be off the table. They won't be able to say this, and man, everything everything that you could possibly say.
Speaker 3: Once you signed up for a roast, you signed up to get destroyed.
Speaker 7: The gentleman Aaron Hernandoz joke was wow, I would.
Speaker 1: Like that Aaron Hernandez stuff, the Alex Guerrero stuff.
Speaker 5: I would have left all Hernanda stuff off that off limbits. But yeah, that's not off limbs for everybody.
Speaker 1: Even if you're just there and you're and you're a famous person. I mean Kim Kardashian caught it, uh, I mean Honesley. There were some really good jokes that were directed at Dana White that I mean about the UFC selection.
Speaker 3: Is very important on nights like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like you need to be like in the back, Like you don't want to be anywhere near the front where the spotlights are at like be tucked off somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I liked Tony Hincliff. I thought that he was the best.
Speaker 7: He was very gros like and he's a traditional he's.
Speaker 4: A comic and everything, and he actually has a show very well about roasting people.
Speaker 3: Uh, he was the best.
Speaker 4: And then obviously his shots at Kim Kardashian, even at Kevin Hart and Philadelphia that was good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good stuff. Three hours.
Speaker 7: I didn't go back and watch.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I heard Belichick did his thing. He did that's funny.
Speaker 1: I don't I don't know if it's it's not for kids. But even with it being that, like, I just really didn't only thought there was maybe thirty minutes of fad on it that you'd have to trim off maybe, but I don't think that it was really like you could go back to it, and if you were like trying to cut it down, even if you try to cut it down to just the best of the best, I still think it's an hour and a half at least.
Speaker 4: There's no there's not a single person you take off.
Speaker 1: I mean, if from a comedy standpoint, I don't think all the players are really that funny, but there's certain players that you just have to have up there because you know they're of their connection with Tom Brady. But I mean a lot of those Gronkowski jokes made of Gronk, like it is good to have him up there, you know. And then just how it was very apparent, how he made it very clear that he was just reading the teleprompter, and how like Kevin Hart's making jokes no, no, Aaron, Aaron, Aaron, Rob Rob just sounded out, sounded out.
Speaker 3: Stuff like that.
Speaker 1: He's perfect to have up there for that, And he seems to be a good sport about it because he was the butt of a lot of jokes there for sure.
Speaker 4: Well, it's fair to say that this was actually like a big week in Dallas sports. I kind of wanted to get into MAVs and Stars. How are we feeling.
Speaker 3: About that guys. Does that put any pressure on here Dallas Cowboys? Yeah?
Speaker 7: Where are the cracking these days?
Speaker 3: They're sitting at the crib. Yeah, we got a new coach coming in, so I'm excited. Yeah I was. I was never gonge hole about that coach. You know what I'm saying. From the time that.
Speaker 7: They last year, I was not about the coach, not about.
Speaker 3: The coach, not about the coach, about the team, not about the coach.
Speaker 5: I disliked the coach from the time that they had their first picks to go take somebody from every roster, and he was picking guys that were development guys. I'm like, go grab the dog on goons like Vegas, like the Vegas team did the year before or two years before. He went out there, sorry, grabbing development guys when he could have grabbed superstars.
Speaker 3: I was so angry from that point.
Speaker 5: It's like picking your dodgeball team and his dude was like picking the guys that are coming off the bench.
Speaker 3: And Vegas took it to Game seven. If you see that.
Speaker 5: They did just Seattle did it the year before, but the Stars came out and the Stars won both years, So keep going Stars.
Speaker 3: They did at the cracking, aren't planing. I'm rocking with the stars.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you think Marshaun Lynch would coach the crack in That'd be amazing.
Speaker 3: Bro, That'd be the most physical team in the history of the NHL. I'd like to see it. It'd be entertaining. He's part owner.
Speaker 6: What would be fascinating? You mentioned the Kraken and the Golden Knights. What would an expansion draft look like in the NFL? Like, how many, like when the Texans came in the league, how many players were the were the teams able to claim?
Speaker 7: And like, yeah, protect, protect, that's what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a bean question. Yeah, I don't remember.
Speaker 9: I can't remember I was around when the Houston Texans came into the league.
Speaker 1: I just know I could remember with NBA expansion at least back when like the Magic and Hornets and Timberwolves, I think that you could protect most guys. I think there was only like a couple guys that were available you could pick from on each roster. So I bet NFL wise you probably can protect I would say seventy five percent of your roster.
Speaker 6: It says all thirty two current teams could leave five players unprotected, so I guess that would be like of the fifty three man so you could protect forty eight of the fifty three guys.
Speaker 1: Yes, But what would be interesting about that is that some of those unprotected guys on some teams would be some good players that the team's like, yeah, we'd like to get rid of this contract, go ahead and take that guy, and somebody and and and that, and that expansion team would be like, yeah, that is a lot, but we got money to spend, and that would be a great guy to be kind of a leader or whatever for the team. So I don't think it would just be all nobody's or lower level guys. I think there would be some noble guys. You'd be like, oh wow, I can't believe that they didn't protect that.
Speaker 4: Guy just trying to get out of the contractations there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's fair different.
Speaker 1: I have a different perspective on the whole uh Rangers stars just because I'm not from here. Yeah, But to answer your question, I just and and and this is like and I have a hard time explaining to people because I think because I cover the Cowboys, like I'm a Cowboys fan, I'm not a Cowboys fan at all. I grew up in Detroit. I'm still a Detroit sports fan, but being from there and like looking at from Afar, like no offense to the other teams around here, but like there's nothing that they do that's gonna that has any imprint on the Cowboys. Really, No, the Cowboys are there's so much bigger than this area. Course, you know, I mean I can't give you an exact percentage, but it's not like, okay, like when you come from Detroit, the amount of Tigers fans that are also Lions fans, I mean, it's got to be in the ninety percent higher. I mean, if you're a Cowboys fan, like and I'm not just saying in this area, I mean there's probably a good chunk of your fan base that's Lakers and Yankees fan and stuff like that. I'm just saying that, Yeah, And this is coming from a perspective of like I didn't move down here until I was twenty eight, you know, I just knew about it from like Afar. You know, I'm like, interesting, now I've been down here. I'm forty two. Now, I've I've spent some time in the area, and really i'd been great.
Speaker 3: For forty two, you're a spring chicken.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and the rest I would not have guessed that.
Speaker 1: The rest of I appreciate it, the rest.
Speaker 6: Of the rest of the nice roast.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the rest of the teams are having more success. You know, they've all been to at least the conference finals or won a championship since I've lived down here. But the Cowboys brand is so big that it's just it just they will always matter everything that they do, just it just always matters. It's it's hard to compare it to anything else because it's really they are really like Lakers Yankees, where it's that there's a lot of people that love this team that probably have never even stepped foot in the state of Texas.
Speaker 5: Would your outlook change if the Stars and the MAVs both won championships this year, so then you would have Rangers, Stars and MAVs all winning.
Speaker 1: See, he'sn changed my perspective in twenty years. It would take.
Speaker 6: Here's the thing about that, and this is something that was kind of I discussed it a lot with Kyle whenever the Rangers were going through their World Series parade and everything like that. If the Cowboys won, if the parade would last a week. Yeah, because you would have to do one in Dallas. You would have to do one in Arlington. Damn sure, there'd be one out here on the Star District. There would be three different parades you would.
Speaker 3: Have to well.
Speaker 1: And the other part of that is too is so I didn't go to the Rangers when I watched the you know, the coverage on TV, But I felt like that was probably mostly local people that went to that parade. If the Cowboys won a Super Bowl, there's a good percentage of people that would fly in from other parts of the country and other parts of the world that would want to be especially now that there's been the over twenty eight years of Yeah, it would.
Speaker 4: Be oh man, it's just such.
Speaker 1: A big brand. It's hard to compare it to anything else.
Speaker 3: New York period was crazy, but Dallas might be.
Speaker 4: That would with the weight if you compound, you know, the years and years and years of waiting for this to finally be a Super Bowl winning team. I think, yeah, it would last a week, but we wouldn't sleep, But like, nor would you want to sleep?
Speaker 3: Yeah, at least I would, you know what I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I love my beauty sleep. I got to make sure I look like John when'my too.
Speaker 1: The other thing I'll add in there too is that let's just say that this is some this is a super city. That the Lakers are also the NBA team here, and the Yankees of the baseball team. I still would think that the Cowboys would rain over all of them, just because of the popularity of the NFL is just so far. Like I mean when I say rain over them, I mean, if those fans could all pick, like only one of our teams can win a championship, who would it be? Those fans I think would pick the Cowboys. They're just they're the biggest brand, and just they have the most fans, They have the most passionate fan base, win, lose, whatever. I just it's hard to compare them locally because most big cities that have four major sports teams there is some similarity between those teams there, and I feel like in Dallas, like the Cowboys are just I mean, they're just such a huge brand that it's bigger than just you know, the city. That's fair if they're bigger than the state.
Speaker 4: That being said, let's get into some news and notes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, from home run derby last week is that ever you want to start, Josh, Yeah, let's do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So the Reliant Home Run Derby, it's a big charity event that the Cowboys do every offseason. They get ten players together and they go hit some baseballs out at rough Riders Field down the street and raise money for charity. We'll start with the charity efforts Brian Anger, which is hilarious that the punter wins the home Run Derby. But I saw him practicing that morning and he can rake. He was going, he can rake. It's it's quite impressive. I think we were talking to gosh, who was it, I think it was Brandon Cooks maybe, and it was like, are you surprised that Brian Inger's doing this? He's like these specialists, they all got something weird that they're really good at. So, but Brian Inger raised twenty two eight hundred dollars for charity, and all the Cowboys raised one hundred and four thousand, nine hundred for the Salvation Army.
Speaker 7: So a really good effort.
Speaker 6: And they're they're going on I think eight nine years of doing this event and they're coming up on raising a million dollars total for the Salvation Army.
Speaker 7: So pretty cool. But also what's pretty cool.
Speaker 6: About the event is we get to spend three four minutes with the players and press them on their off seasons and contracts and things of the sort. So just kind of running down the list here that I had for my article on Dallas Cowboys dot Com. It was the home run derby was the same day Ezekiel Elliott came out with the news that he's actually gonna wear fifteen instead of twenty one. We kind of dove into that a little bit, and he said, I just kind of look at a look of it as a different era. I wore fifteen last year, wanted to go back. I got unfinished. Bis I'm here to chase a ring. So you know, I think there's a little bit more hunger in Ezekiel Elliott coming in this year than maybe what he was going in with last year in New England in my eyes, just because you know, he's he's back in Dallas, he's back with DAK. I think I don't think he's an RB one, I'll say that, but I think he could be a really good complimentary back to a guy that they could bring in that has quote unquote the juice that they're looking for. But we'll kind of see as the off season years. And I know there's potentially some trade candidates that could work for the Cowboys, but do you want to trade assets for a running back that you might only have for a year or two. They're in a weird kind of position when it comes to that position group right now. Also, Brandon Aubrey kicker kind of came out that he had appendix surgery the day after the Pro Bowl. Going into the Pro Bowl, he could feel it being kind of weird. He went to the doctor.
Speaker 7: They were like, yeah, you need to get that out, and he was like, put me on meds. I'm trying to get through the Pro Bowl.
Speaker 6: And so he went on the went on the meds, got through the Pro Bowl, and then the very next day got his appendix removed.
Speaker 3: And then and uh yeah, and.
Speaker 6: Then he's been sitting on his butt for six weeks and he said it's uh, it's been great. And he was able to get back to kicking rather recently and he said it's like riding a bike. It was it was nothing, nothing to foreign to him going back to kicking. Because you have to think that's the longest break he's taken from kicking since he started kicking from going back to his soccer days. So we can start with those couple of notes, y'all want to dive into some things there.
Speaker 4: Well, another one I wanted to bring up Steven Jones on Mad Dog Radio, I think it was yesterday talking about the Dak contract yet again.
Speaker 3: And I don't want to.
Speaker 4: Delve too deep into this, but he did say you wanted it to be. They're making it a priority to resign Dak to an extension. Now, what are your thoughts on that at this point? I mean, we're kind of long in the tooth at this point when it comes to Dak.
Speaker 5: On the mountain that I stood on a while back by saying that I believe that I'm in the mindset that you should allow Dak to play his last year. And you rolled the dice there and you may improve it, and you understand that you might have to pay one heck of a pretty penny, and you also understand that you might lose lose a quarterback. You know, that's a part of that's a part of gambling. I mean, that's that's what it is, and that's what you do every year that you draft. It's an educated gamble, but it is a gamble, and I think that if if it were me making the decisions, I want to see what you're made of.
Speaker 3: I want to see what you got.
Speaker 5: I want to I want to see the head coach what is back against the wall, and I want to see my quarterback with the you're back against the wall. What can you guys collectively do together to change the outcome that we've had since we sent you stepped foot on this team. And that's not a that's not a that's no knock on deck, there's no knock on on thecarth there's no knock on anything they've done. But I want to see it because if I'm gonna pay premium, I need to see premium. And I've seen it in the regular season, but what you're asking me to pay for, I'm not paying for that production for just the regular season. And I just need to see it and that you would do that if you guys were building a custom home. If you guys have we had, you know, two million dollars right now is here, Go build it. Go build a custom home from from the ground. You're not gonna go with people who just do good work. You want to see show me the great work that you've done that And that's not being disrespectful. It just like, hey, this is this is meaningful to me. I care a lot about this. This is my money. I want to know that you can do the job exactly the way in which I projected to be. And if you have you can't, then I'm gonna go with the next best man.
Speaker 6: I understand the sense of it completely, like I understand where you're coming from. And I want to see this entire group put under a little bit of pressure too and see how it kind of works out for them. Hasn't worked great in the past whenever pressure has been applied, But let's see, you know, in a year, in a year's case, in a vacuum, maybe that would be a little bit better. However, and in my eyes, if I was the one making these decisions up in the front office, I'm trying to get him signed immediately. I don't want him going into the year playing out his final year of his deal. Look a really good quarterback, franchise quarterback which I could consider Dak to be.
Speaker 3: It's hard to find in this leep.
Speaker 6: I mean, you've seen a lot of teams go through QB purgatory over the course of a life ten years and drafting and then cutting and then redrafted. Look at the Bears, I mean, finally they might have their guy. We'll see as time goes on. But I mean, I don't The Cowboys have been very fortunate to not really be in that situation really since Jerry Jones has taken over early two thousands. Yes, there was some kind of purgatory there, but then they were able to fall on Romo and then that kind of worked out, and then that led right into Dak. I think there might be a little bit of a little bit of privilege when it comes to Cowboys fans as far as seeing the quarterback position and understanding that, hey, that's gonna be okay no matter who's there.
Speaker 7: That's not the case. In my eyes. I would sign Dak. Give him what he give him what he wants.
Speaker 6: Seeing what he did under McCarthy last year as he got more comfortable in that system, I want to see that system more and more if I'm the Cowboys.
Speaker 1: And even though the Cowboys can feel exactly like you feel and what you said, most teams, I would say almost all, Jerry Jones a little bit of a wildcard. But that's what they're gonna They can have those beliefs, but they're not gonna say that publicly. You're gonna go on the radio and you're going to say exactly what Stephen Jones said. It's a priority, and I do believe it is a priority if Daks want to take somewhat of a team friendly deal. I don't think it's a priority if he wants to be the next highest paid court back. I think they're just fine letting him play the season out and then evaluating it at the end of the year. And if they lose him, that's the risks that they're willing to take. Obviously, Jerry Jones didn't become as wealthy as he is without taking some major risks, and so I think that that all factors in. But my big thing is is just because you say something like that publicly doesn't mean behind the scenes you aren't kind of like, no, we want to see a little bit more, because you just wouldn't say that publicly, you know, like.
Speaker 4: Are you surprised at this point that it hasn't gotten.
Speaker 1: Done from a Cowboys standpoint a little bit? Just because of the fact of that most of the decisions they've made over the last decade have been pretty conservative, And I think the conservative obvious decision would be, oh, you have a top ten franchise quarterback, just give him the next franchise quarterback money, because hey, these guys are all going to get paid whatever you pay him right now. He might even be the number one highest paid quarterback. That'll get taught by somebody in another year or so, and before you know it, he'll be the fifth or sixth highest paid. But this seems like it's there's risk to it, because you know, the one I always compare it to is just because I know it well, is just that I don't know. There were people, and don't get me wrong in Detroit that thought Stafford was the problem, but I mean I never did. I was like, this guy's a really good player. The organization's more of a problem than Matthew Stafford is. But when they moved on from him, you looked as like, well, you're getting rid of a really good player, and what do you get in return? And it ended up being great for the organization, end up being great for obviously the Rams, And so sometimes change, you know, can kind of spark something. But my big thing is that you don't know who that next guy is. So that's that's the problem that I run into is that basically, if you're trying to put it in a tiers standpoint, you could very easily go from heaven, let's say, the seventh or eighth best quarterback in the NFL to having the seventeenth or twenty fifth best quarterback in the NFL. And how is that getting you any closer? You know, the odds of you getting one of those guys that are in the top six or seven above him are very very unlikely. And so because of that, you are you are certainly gambling.
Speaker 5: I think a lot of people are underestimating the process. They're underestimating development and what what the Dallas Cowboys did last year, And when they did it, I was like, ooh, okay, I see what they're doing by trading for Trey Lance. That was a very strategic move. That was very strategic. And people that didn't just walk into building ass dak, you know what I mean? Like, there's there's development that happens yours. There's film study, there's decision making, there's practice reps, there's coaching that goes on and it makes players better when they step on the field actually compete than what they were when they first walked into building. And I don't think that Trey Lance is getting a fair He's not getting a fair opportunity. Don't the opportunity I figure, I don't know, I don't really know what the word is. But people aren't giving him enough respect. I think now they're looking at what he's done, right, but they don't take into consideration the situation that he came into. They don't take into the consideration the experience that he had when he came into the league, the pressures, all those things. Trey Lance. Now, it's it's all to be to be seen. Now that's I'm still speaking from that standpoint.
Speaker 3: We haven't seen it.
Speaker 5: But why doesn't Trey Lance get the same opportunities in same respect that Dak did when he first came on the roster?
Speaker 1: Because yes, well, because in that position there is far far, far, far, far far far far more missus than hits at quarterback, And there's just for every guy that you're trying to give time to. You're gonna get a Mitchell Trubisky, You're gonna get You're gonna get Zach Wilson, there when you look so many quarterbacks when you give that chance to and it does not work.
Speaker 5: I totally agree. And again everything's a roll of the dice. Yes, everything's rolled of the dice. Every player they have no control over. The player is gonna be amazing or not. They can put him in the best position possible based upon his his attributes and his characteristic.
Speaker 3: That he has.
Speaker 5: When you look at Trey, When I look at Trey Lance, I look at a bigger, stronger, faster, better arm version of Dah.
Speaker 3: Now, no, listen, let's I'm talking about. I'm talking about from attributes? Where am I wrong? Bigger, stronger. He's not bigger or stronger than that at all. He's taller than me being I just seen the man two weeks ago.
Speaker 7: He looks good.
Speaker 3: But I stood next to him deck two weeks.
Speaker 5: Ago, and I'm looking up at him and I'm six three two forty eight right now, Yeah, I mean, I'm telling, let.
Speaker 1: Me give you another let me give you another thing.
Speaker 3: He's foust. Okay, so we can argue over that he's faster, fast, he has a far stronger arm in my opinion.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, so accuracy we have to wait to see that we're describing Joe Milton right now.
Speaker 5: Okay, I hear you, But I'm talking about like everything else could be coached and we haven't seen it. We haven't had the opportunity to see it. So what I'm saying is give him respect. Let's not look past him as if he's not capable of stepping.
Speaker 3: In and being a really good quarter. But we don't know, don't We don't know. But so that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: They have more information than we have in regards to the capabilities and word Trey Lance currently is today, but with those attributes at that point in time, if he is willing and able, Now, how much pressure are you putting on your coaching staff to develop this talented player to be what you need him to be?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 4: More so for the fan fan asking why not pick up his fifth year option, I knew the answer answer to money, Yeah, exact facts.
Speaker 1: We've got the other part in this whole, to prove it.
Speaker 3: Proven in cap yeah, proven in preseason. You know it's a prove it. I don't care. How's the main thing.
Speaker 4: I just want to put that out there for those listeners.
Speaker 1: And then there's one other part of this too, that I don't think needs to be forgotten here. This isn't Joey Harrington coming from the Matt Millan Lions, where you're just like, well, they really don't know what they're doing. The forty nine Ers were thrilled to take a fourth round pick for him, and the forty nine ers are one of, if not the best run organizations in the league. You're and so that that I understand that, but I'm just saying again to get a be thrilled to take a fourth for him from that organization, Like, as a fan of football, you have to look at that and be like, hmm, that's kind of interesting. I wonder why they.
Speaker 3: Would just what a seventh fl filled six six.
Speaker 1: I mean, like Chicago Bears, San Francisco forty nine. How organizations that we are not doing that?
Speaker 3: But you're not a You're not a fit for every organization. You're just not. I mean, that's just that's how to I know plenty of.
Speaker 5: Guys who are amazing players but did not have great careers because of the systems that they fell into.
Speaker 1: I hate doing this because when you do this then it's like you just come off it's looking like you're talking bad about the person with all you're trying to do is just present the other side. I do think Trey Lance could be a good Corvette. I'm just saying that it's pretty obvious that the forty nine ers know what they're doing and to give him up for as little as they gave him up, and everybody in the outside, if I was the league, kind of look at it and be like, well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I mean maybe every quarterback in the league doesn't fit in San Francisco's offense and they're not going to value them the same.
Speaker 1: I don't how many quarterbacks do they move on from teams that don't get the chance, so you never see anything positive? Okay that go to another organization. You're just like, damn, where did that come from?
Speaker 3: Yeah, teams aren't jumping ship with quarterbacks like billion you don't let them leave. But name one.
Speaker 1: I want to know who it is.
Speaker 3: Jared Goff, Thomas Jared Goff.
Speaker 1: Jared Jared Jared Goff got the Rams to a Super Bowl. Uh, you know, Drew Brees had success in San Diego. It wasn't just this creation that Sean Payton made. Uh, you know, Matthew Stafford, he had success in Detroit, where you were like, yeah, that's that's a good player. There's a reason why he was a one to one and then he goes and win Super Bowl, Like how many guys do they the teams move on for You're just like, who knew?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't disagree with you, but what I can, But what I can. All players don't.
Speaker 1: Fit in all skins, that's true.
Speaker 5: And some coaches are not positioned to coach certain types of individuals, and some coaches have less patience for certain personality types and other coaches. So if you're not a fit in the system, if you're not a fit for the organization, you're not a fit.
Speaker 3: For the coaches staff, They're gonna move on from you.
Speaker 6: Shanahan did say at some point, and I don't know when this happened because I only saw this clip recently, but he said that he felt like he failed Trey Lance, and it was it was it was tough to like see that from a coach perspective, because that was the guy that they invested the number three overall pick in, and that was the guy that he wanted to bring in and develop. And Trey Lance is a good dude and I think if you have that coach player relationship with Trey, he'll listen, he'll be coachable, and it's it's tough to move on. So yeah, I think at the end of the day, if you ask the coaching staff, they probably felt like they still had a year or two left with Trey to try to work it out. But I think when it comes to an organizational standpoint, when you see mister irrelevant pass him up, when you see Sam Darnold pass him.
Speaker 7: Up, it's like, all right, let's get value out of this.
Speaker 6: So it's like, on one hand, I understand it, but on the other hand, it's still tough for the coaching staff. I don't think everybody in that building necessarily wanted him out of there. And one last point, when it comes to Trey having the same expectations for him are the same. I guess playing field for her going into twenty twenty four as you did for Dad going into twenty sixteen. The only difference is Trey Lance we have seen what he's put on an NFL preseason field before, at least granted a year of development under the system. Who knows if it works out. As to John's point, it hasn't really been proven to work in the past, but we'll see. I think I think there's a little bit that you have to put a caveat on that with.
Speaker 7: Because that was Dak's first NFL action period.
Speaker 6: Like, before that preseason game, the only thing that we had seen in Auxnard was Showers. What's What's what's Jamil Showers looking like? He was better than Deak. So I mean, I think once we do see it on the preseason field, yes, but you have to also factor it in with what he's put on.
Speaker 1: I mean, with how little they've done this offseason and obviously high draft picks being offensive lineman. You know, it's hard to really get a big, great read on that. Nobody is a bigger fan than me of watching Trey Lance in training game. It's one of, if not the most exciting things that we will have to look forward to, just because we don't really know what is he going to look like here. I mean, we can watch him out there in that first whatever twenty minutes before practice starts, that we see him thrown around during the season, but to actually see him there and actually see ones of me, Yeah, because this is this is just my prediction. What I think is going to happen with him is I think that there's gonna be some wild plays, But then I think that there's gonna be some like I don't know, Like the consistency is an there all the time. And that's what I really want to see during the preseason is let him go. Because here's the air thing. Like Dack's not gonna play in the preseason. They know what they have in Cooper Rush. There's gonna be so many opportunities for him to play in the preseason, and it will be interesting to see what he does with those opportunities because he can do things with his legs. You know, he is a young guy. He knows that he's trying to put this is a great opportunity for him to make himself a lot of money. He's about to become a free agent. He's going to be trying to ball out at the highest level like he he is. I'm very excited.
Speaker 3: His back is against the wall.
Speaker 7: I mean, yeah, you could say that he's going to the last year of his cards.
Speaker 4: Love it, Love it all right, boys, let's take our first break more talking cowboys.
Speaker 10: After this, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah. Savannah Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running.
Speaker 3: And let's heard the backpack with the beef stew.
Speaker 10: At and T five G fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatable planing device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash fy g for you for details.
Speaker 12: Black Rifle Coffee Company serves premium coffee to people who love America. When you drink Black Rifle Coffee, you are directly supporting veterans, law enforcement, and first responders in your community. Black Rifles expert roasters love coffee almost as much as Texas loves football, so it makes sense that America's coffee partner with America's team. Go online at Black Riflecoffee dot com and fuel up with the official.
Speaker 3: Coffee of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 12: That's Black Riflecoffee dot com. To fuel up.
Speaker 9: Today, Cowboys fans. After that move, We've just coined the term rowdy replay. Let's roll back the table.
Speaker 13: Okay, there's our mascot rowdy cheering on the boys. And now he's on his phone on his Bank of America Mobile Banking now.
Speaker 9: Staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial Assistant Erica.
Speaker 13: Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive. Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Slash can't Stop Banking every Kay.
Speaker 9: It's only available in the English language. Must download the latest version of the mobile banking app, only available on select mobile devices. Message dat raisy apply, I remember FDIC.
Speaker 14: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answered life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller, would you, Dear doctor?
Speaker 10: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 8: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being a souldier to cry out?
Speaker 14: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious doctor pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do now. Just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 8: Better to Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Raffle Coffee, the official coffee sponsor of the Dollas Cowboys. Our next segment is brought to you by Invisiline, the official smile.
Speaker 3: Of the Dolls cow Boys.
Speaker 4: Looking at Isaiah stand back with the Pearly Whites yet again. All right, boys, So last week we didn't really get into the later round picks, and I kind of wanted to do that with our scout expert here. Please expert, not that you haven't talked about these players enough, but I really wanted to get into like the later round picks more so Carson Floorinoy and Rogers. So did you have any insight you wanted to give.
Speaker 6: Us here and Talking cow Well, I'm working on a series right now on Dallas Cowboys dot com where I've been reaching out to the college position coaches of all of these draft picks. I've gotten six of the eight so far, and I'm kind of working those out throughout the week. So yesterday was Cooper bb go back on shouts of that article. By the way, go check that out. Thank you, Yeah, you checked that out. There was some really good insight on Cooper Bby, and I'll start with there, even though that is not what you asked me about. He was recruited to play defensive line initially at Kansas State, and because of COVID and transfer portal and they were flipping a new era at Kansas State with a different coaching staff, he had to slide in and play a lot of offensive line his freshman year and they are like, hey, you're pretty good at this, and so they just kept sliding them in and sliding them in. There's some really good stuff in there. Go go through that article if if you'll have the interest. But as I've been talking to these six of the eight so far, I'm still waiting on to Notre Dame in southeas Missouri State and come through for me.
Speaker 3: I'm still waiting put it out there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I've talked with a position coach for Kayln Carson, position coach for Nathan Thomas offensive lineman Louisiana Lafayette, and then position coach for Justin Rodgers. And I think what I've kind of pulled away from these three guys, and it's something you can kind of pull away from the entire draft classes. All of these guys had to earn it in some way, shape or form. And not to say that you don't have to earn it at the college level to get to the NFL. Yes, you're gonna have to grind at some point and you're gonna have to earn your keep one thousand percent. You don't get drafted by not, you know, caring for it or trying to earn it. But you look at Ryan Florinoyd for example, having to go to D two, then having to go to Juco, and then having to bounce back and go to an FCS program and come out of an FCS program to not only be a draft prospect, but then to get drafted.
Speaker 7: You could look at Nathan Thomas.
Speaker 6: He was a guy that came in and he was primarily from a wing ta high school, had played tight end, so he's basically an extension of the offensive tackle position in high school, but had nothing coming out of high school. So he stayed home, went to Lafayette and blossom there as an offensive tackle prospect with these really great run blocking attributes.
Speaker 7: You look at Justin Rodgers.
Speaker 6: Granted he was bouncing back from Kentucky whenever he hit the portal, but whenever he got to Auburn, they were still making him earn his spot on the field and he was able to do that. He's got that three hundred and twenty five pound frame that was able to really help them in the run game, and he had to work to be able to get onto the field, and going into last season, he wasn't necessarily the starter. So you look at all of these guys and there's a little bit of a blue collar mentality with him, and it was something that I kind of took away from the first couple of days of the draft class too. Tyler Geyton, you know, he had to earn his spot on the offensive line in general whenever he got to Oklahoma, and then to start at tackle last year, he had to earn that. You look in the second round, that's another small school guy in Marshawn Neeland from Western Michigan. You got to be able to earn getting to the second round as as a group of five prospects from Western Michigan. And I've talked about Cooper Beebe and you can look at Maris Luafoul as well. But I think that's kind of something that's kind of stood out. I think these later round picks kind of mirror what they were probably looking for in the front round picks too. And sure, let's compare that to past draft classes, where there's some other guys that have come into this program that have potentially needed to quote unquote earn it. Yeah, look at Tyler Smith, look at de Ron Bland, quote anybody else and so forth, So Jake Ferguson. So I think it might have been a little bit of an approach that this this scouting department took going into this draft cycle just to be able to come away with some high character guys a but also some guys that will be able to work for what they what they want to do.
Speaker 3: On the field.
Speaker 1: Rogers intrigues me because he's their last pick, seventh rounder, but he's to me if I find him, I'm thrilled because of all those guys they took on that final day, he's got the best chance to come in and get an opportunity just because they don't have much depth at all defensive tackle. So uh for being a guy it's a seventh round pick. If I was him, man, I'd be thrilled about this opportunity because he could get he could get some decent snaps week one immediately. As long as he shows that, you know, we can go out there and uh be somewhat effective.
Speaker 7: I mean, damn think about it.
Speaker 6: I mean the only other one tech quote unquote on the roster is Mazzie Smith, who's going through offseason shoulder issues. I mean, you got Carl Davis too, but I don't think you're you're feeling comfortable about starting Carl Davis unless we want to flush back to Miami last year.
Speaker 1: But no d tackle is very much like running back to me where it would not surprise me if a move is made, whether it's when we're out an Oxnard or after teams cut down to fifty three, just because I think they need they need another veteran in that defensive tackle crew there, because I do believe that they'll keep four. That's usually what you know for defensive tackles, and and so I don't I don't. I don't feel like they're finished there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, what position do they pull from the UFL this year?
Speaker 3: Running back?
Speaker 5: It's going to be somebody somebody, Yeah, two for two there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, looking at the BattleHawks there, that'd be great.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: So another question that we had more so in the mail bag the undrafted free agents. I know that's a pool that you've been looking at really heavily into. Are there any of them that stick out that intrigue you? From the undrafted free agents that we signed?
Speaker 3: Do you all have any before I before I started.
Speaker 1: Any any so I just rode for this morning. I ranked them all. Okay, it's least likely to make the team.
Speaker 6: So could I say who my number one is? Before you say what your number one is? I think my number one is a Moni Johnson from what will you.
Speaker 7: Say make the team? Do you mean fifty three?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Okay, then I probably have a different answer. But I think as far as making potentially a practice squad or the fifty three a Money Johnson out of Nevada one hundred tackles last year, Big Long got the crazy length that works in the past game across the middle of the field, but probably a strong safety at the next level because he steps up in the run game and provides so much help in front of him.
Speaker 7: I think he's going to be a really fun addition to that safety room.
Speaker 1: I'd love to hear the phone call that they made Brevin span Ford the tight end out of Minnesota. He's clearly the best player, like in terms of ranking wise, and for them to convince him to come here when the tight end room already looks like it's it's pretty solid, I'm very interested to hear what they told him. I think he's he's got a decent chance of maybe filling that Sean McCune roll or something like that, you know, but it depends on what you get from John Stevens Junior. Obviously, Peyton Hendershot. I think Luke spoon Maker is obviously on the team. He's the second round pick. They're not going to be moving on from him, you know. So outside of Jake Ferguson, what is there a tight end? And now, of those twelve guys, two of the players they brought in were both tight ends, which kind of surprised me.
Speaker 4: But is that more of a special teams sort of situation that it could be.
Speaker 1: But I always look at when they cut down to fifty three, you're not keeping six tight ends. You're probably not keep more than four, you know. So that's that's that was really interesting to me.
Speaker 5: So also has an amazing track record for developing tight ends. So they they're going to keep feeding him with the opportunities.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if he likes a guy, yeah problem.
Speaker 1: I had a big drop off of my top four. So next I had Jason Johnson, the linebacker out of UCF, just because he was a tackling machine for a couple of years. You know, over one hundred tackles, guy, and to your point, that is special teams all day long. So that one made a lot of sense to me. Plus it I think they're gonna go deeper at linebacker. I think they keep six linebackers as the post of five in years past. So and then the next is just because of what we were talking about, the Denzel Dackson, just because he's a defensive tackle at Illinois. They need defensive tackle help. He had to be the easiest sell when they got on the phone whatever it was, sixth seventh round, like no, no, no, no, yeah, you want you want to be here? So he was the next.
Speaker 6: Quick note about Denzel DACKX And he's a native of the of the Bahamas. He didn't move to the US until he was sixteen, didn't start playing football until the senior year of high school, ended up landing at the University of Illinois and was a really good run defender for them last year. And if you look in their draft class, they had a three tech that went in the second round of the Commanders that probably could have gone in the first round. So those two guys were minaces in the middle of that defensive line for Illinois last year.
Speaker 1: And so my top group that clearly stands out to me, So it's those three, and then my fourth would be Nathaniel Pete, the running back out of Missouri, because he's the only running back that they that they brought in. So that, again I think would be an easy call. Like to a young running back that didn't get drafted, probably is upset thought that they should have been drafted, Like no, no, you got a chance you could make this team in a variety of roles. The only thing I didn't like about him is he just doesn't have great numbers, like you know, like three three fifty rushing guards in a season, four hundred yards in a season tops, Like he hasn't had like a real big He's not like the you know, nine hundred thousand yard back that some of these other guys were that were probably draftable, and then it drops off for me because of the next guy had was Byron Vaughn's the DNA of Baylor, just because I don't think they really need to And one of.
Speaker 4: The attributes about Pete that you think kind of brings him here to Dallas, like, what do you think they're looking at?
Speaker 1: Of course, yeah, juice.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think they're just looking for a guy that could potentially bring some juice to that room. And they were like, Okay, that guy's been a big play machine in the past, and.
Speaker 7: He's worked in the return game a little bit.
Speaker 6: He was more of a complimentary or he was the complimentary back at Missouri, but I think maybe using him in some situational receiving situations in the preseason kind of see what he could bring to the NFL field. I feel like it was just Hey, we need a running back. That guy still on the board, let's grab him. I think it was one of those situations more so.
Speaker 1: Like Vaughan's from Baylor, intrigues me about like just where he was ranked of the players that were left. But when I look at edge rushers on this team, I don't know how guys are gonna make it outside of the you know, coming in late like that, because it seems pretty cut and dry. Again, how many edg rushers are you keeping? Five or six? And it's like, so you already have Micah Parsons to Marcus Lawrence, you just drafted Marshawn Neelan, you got Sam Williams, So that to me is the top of the depth chart. So then the next two you're gonna be fighting against Villiami Fajoco, Chauncey Golstin. I don't know. I mean, there's probably a few others in there. I mean, I'm not saying it's impossible, but it just seems like that that crew might be pretty set.
Speaker 6: I mean, yeah, we saw it last year with Isaiah Land. Yeah, gosh, you would have thought that the Cowboys dropped ceedee lamb. Whenever they cut the fans.
Speaker 3: Lost their mind in the preseason.
Speaker 7: He did, he did.
Speaker 6: He had a sack last year for the Colts, but he only played like ten snaps, And it's like, why are we freaking out about a guy who's only gonna play ten snaps?
Speaker 4: Yeah, either here, people just fall in love with certain players.
Speaker 7: I would have been the same way if they had dropped Flip Key.
Speaker 1: So, like I understand as.
Speaker 6: The number one guy that potentially make the team, Gosh, I would probably go. I would probably go Daxon and then span Ford just because again that one tech conversation that we just had. But then span Ford I think he was I had him as the second best run blocking tight end in this draft class. I think he's got a really good feel for that and he's a red zone threat to He's gonna be a big time red zone option for Trey Lance in the in the preseason, so I think they'll see a little bit of that, and then they're gonna look at Peyton Hendershot and kind of look at what he brings versus John Stevens Junior, which both are receiving type tight ends, and I think that's where the decision comes to plays either John Stevens Junior or Peyton Hendershot. But that's just me theorizing four months out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this was way harder to do this year than last Last year. It was so easy to have. Like my number one by far was TJ Bass just because he was a draftable guy and it was clearly they needed help on the interior. The offensive line, like he's again another one that that call had to be so easy, like you know, you can come in right away, you got a good chance to make this roster, you'll probably even play as a rookie, and if you're an undrafted guy getting that opportunity, I'm sure that that was probably an easy person to convince. But one point on that when the draft ended, Stephen Jones did say they had ten guys, well he's had a round ten guys left, so we'll say nine or ten that were on their board still that they were going to try and sign as undrafted rookie free agents. And so a group of us I think you were on the call last week. We got a chance to talk to Will McClay last Wednesday on a conference call with Beat writers and he said that they were able to sign I think he said about half, So I'm thinking four or five of those guys. So there were probably four or five guys that they really that they probably wanted that were on their draft board that and elsewhere.
Speaker 6: But at least one of them is John Trey Hunter or the linebacker from Georgia State that went to the Patriots. Those are back and forth there with him, but he decided to go to New England instead.
Speaker 4: Well, I did have a question more so far, Isaiah. I know you had to explain basically the new kickoff rules to the XFL whenever that started to happen with them, whenever the XFL is basically kicked off.
Speaker 3: And now that we're implementing new.
Speaker 4: Kickoff rules here, does the personnel on special teams change?
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, drastically in what ways?
Speaker 5: You're gonna have a lot more tight end slash linebacker DN type guys out there simply because of the fact you're standing five yards away from your opponent and once that receiver and once that returner touches the ball, you're now engaging five yards apart. There is no longer a speed element on the coverage side of it. Now you need size, and you need size to be able to move guys in the direction in which you want to move them. So you know you're looking at more, you know, two hundred and fifty pound range guys that are gonna beneficial to you because you can actually drop your butt, get leveraged, you know, and shift guys to one side and then let your let your returner do the work.
Speaker 3: Maybe another reason why the tight end room is kind of filling up there a little thicker.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, the more the more you can do in that regard the now less d defensive backs. Typically you get a lot of defensive backs when it comes down to special teams in terms of your coverage anywhere, you're ranging guys anywhere from what we call each side of the kicker, you know, so you start L on the left side, it starts with L five on the right stars sorry, R five, and then it goes all the way out.
Speaker 3: Usually the guys that are.
Speaker 5: More internal there are five to you know, R five, L four L five L four R four. Those guys usually your penetrators what we call them. Those are the guys that are usually running down the field and being physical and hitting the wedge or whatever it might be. Now that's not gonna be the case. Now you're looking at more physical all the way across the board, and you might have a handful of defensive backs that are sitting on the outside just in case they have to run somebody down. But you're gonna have a lot larger guys now. So linebackers, DNS, tight ends, those guys are gonna be valued much more in that regard of the game, more Sam Williams specialty more.
Speaker 1: So, you think it'll be more of those guys and then less of corners and possibly like fifth six receivers.
Speaker 5: So it's gonna be harder for those guys to make rosters interesting. Now we're talking about one part of the special teams. Yeah, we're just talking about kickoff, right, So that's not gonna it's not gonna completely change how how the guys.
Speaker 3: Are selected out there on kickoffs. Then Justin Fields can definitely be out there as a returner.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's what the Steelers are talking about.
Speaker 3: That's definitely out there. I mean you talk I was.
Speaker 5: I came in and it was a returner for the Cowboys. I hadn't done returning my whole life. I played quarterback my whole life, and then first opportunity I get in the league is as a return man. So if you can, if you can use your legs and make plays and have the threat of being able to throw it, that's always that's always.
Speaker 4: Something I think as far as literals go, I think that's going to change.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean you might get one of those a year two at most, So I mean that's always always a.
Speaker 4: Threat, but especially always looking for a way to make those plays.
Speaker 5: Absolutely man, But it's all about who can make one guy miss, because that's all this is. This return game is all gonna be by I'm making one guy miss if everybody, If if nine of my ten guys that are blocking for me do their job, I'm just if I go on my blocking assignments and my return man could make one man miss. We're in business too, just because it's so different. It's going to be a change from how boring things we're getting. And also just because of like I'm not even thinking of really kick off or the game starting. I'm thinking late in games, like when you mentioned the fields thing. I'm thinking like situations bringing in a player that you're like, wow, I can't believe it now.
Speaker 1: I don't know that that'll happen necessarily that much with the Cowboys, just because if Cavante Turpin's healthy, I think they really like him, you know, being a guy with the ball in hand. But maybe a CD Lamb or something like that that in a certain situation where you're like we need this, yeah, you know, like and not just the Cowboys, I mean any team where like a team you're preparing for. You're just like, well, you know what, we better prepare for this guy potentially being back there. I know he hasn't typically done it, but late in the game if they really need a big play, you know, it's like a minute to go or two minutes ago in a game or something like that. There could some opportunities for some players that you typically don't see back there, you know, returning.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the return I'm less intrigued about who the returners would be. I'm more intrigued about who are going to be the blockers. I'm really interested in who what teams are going to put out there in terms of personnel, because you're gonna need big, physical guys. Yeah, you're you're five years away from me. I mean we're engaging almost immediately. Yeah, right, you know what I'm saying, You're gonna make the first move, and I'm reacting off of you. I have a direction in which I want to block you. If I'm more physically imposing than you are, chances are if I have their proper leverage, I'm going to win. So if i'm too sixty and you're two forty.
Speaker 1: And the other factor, all this too, just from having covered several different you know, special teams coordinators. You got a wild one here, like you got one that will try wild things and you know, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But you know, John Fossil is not shy about doing things that are outside the box to try and find a way that something can work. I mean, that's the reason he's been doing this.
Speaker 5: This is the this is the guy you want to play for when when this rule gets instilled. This is exactly where you want to be as a team for sure.
Speaker 4: All right, boys, let's take our final break. We'll get to your questions after this. Actually in the third segment, if you want to leave us a text, it is eight one seven two nine zero three two ninety eight. Once again, eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back after this.
Speaker 8: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and.
Speaker 3: Off the field.
Speaker 8: Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports Turf Equipment. United Agon Turf, the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit Unitedagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 12: Are you ready to take coffee off your grocery list forever? Black Rifle Coffee Club is here to help. As a Coffee Club member, you'll get your favorite coffees, roasted package and ship to your door free of charge on your preferred schedule. Set it, forget it, and never run low on coffee again. Members also get exclusive deals on coffee products and discounts from partner brands. Ease your mind and let Black Rifle worry about.
Speaker 3: Your coffee supply.
Speaker 12: Go to Black Rifle Coffee dot com to join the coffee Club today.
Speaker 9: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus. Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy wipball. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 10: Tod thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he.
Speaker 3: Bought online was reliable.
Speaker 10: And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five gs. It is fast, reliable, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatible planning device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 2: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee. This portion of the Talking Cowboys is brought to you by Quaker Oats, a super trusted superfood. The Quaker Oats is the official sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Boys. Do you have your oats today? I know, John, I will not ask you that, but I did not. Actually, my daughter. I looked at my daughter yesterday.
Speaker 5: She likes to come home and have something to eat because I think their lunch time is like at ten o'clock in the morning. It's ridiculous. So they go the rest of the day without eating anything except for exnent. And she comes home and she has the biggest bowl of oatmeal and I'm like, yo, how many bags of Quaker oats did you put in there?
Speaker 3: And she looks at me, she's like three, And I'm like, did you did you dope for that?
Speaker 5: She's raising My daughter's Type one diabetic. So I'm like, hey, that's a lot of cars. She's like, yes, I dose for it. I'm like, that's a big bowl of Quaker oats. I'm using that on the show tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Well it is the super trusted super food and at least she knows that. Yep, it is all right. Boys.
Speaker 4: We wanted to get into some fan questions. We got the text line open again. The number is eight one to seven two nine zero three two nine eight. One of the questions we received didn't get a name, didn't get.
Speaker 3: A area code? What four to three four?
Speaker 4: But if you don't win a game or win twelve, I feel it was a fair Wait, so if you don't win a game or if you win twelve, I feel it was a failure and could care less QB not getting us to promise Land and he has talent to put with him.
Speaker 7: It's just a statement, just one of those I guess.
Speaker 6: I guess not necessarily a question four to three four coming from Central Virginia, So super Bowl US probably.
Speaker 1: I will say for anybody that you know that, I think that there's a lot of people when it comes to sports, when their team is kind of where let's say the Cowboys are right now, where you kind of feel like you're kind of stuck in the middle and you need to make, yeah, make something, to make a move, I think that a lot of people will be like, well, just be bad for one year. I mean, you get the high draft pick or whatever like that. This team, this team has got too much talent for it ever be one of those bottom two or three teams. It just it won't be on that level. So you're not gonna be like, if they have a really bad year, it will look like twenty twenty. And even then you got I think they had a tenth pick before they traded back to twelve and they took Micah that year. So I mean, I guess, I guess you could have that year where you're like twenty fifteen where they were really bad when Romo got hurt, and then I'm getting that fourth pick when they got Zeke. But this is, you know, it's just not like the NBA, where hey, if you're just kind of in there, it comes down to a lottery. Maybe you get the one or maybe you get the two pick, and you didn't really desert, Like, I just don't see. I think there's too much talent on this team for it to draft really any lower than maybe eight to ten.
Speaker 6: Here's a scenario for you, and it's because there is too much talent that has been drafted and developed on this team. They are already running into quote unquote Cap Hill trying to figure out how to extend Dak Prescott, Cite Lamb, Michael Parsons. Once those three get done, then you gotta do Tyler Smith to Ron Bland, Jake Ferguson. Once those are done, then you gotta I wonder if it gets to a point to where they really just can't afford to keep all their guys and they look at the top of the draft. Hey, we have this all pro piece that we can't afford. Let's trade and try to get a higher draft pick.
Speaker 1: Demands that they all.
Speaker 4: Have to pay down the road though, I mean that's like two three years from now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I just being honest with that scenario. Bring that on. That's a great problem, now, Oh yeah, that is a great problem to happen because at least you're drafting well enough where you feel confident that you'll get other players that will have to step up. Because you're just talking about right now, what if in another year or two you find out that, oh, wow, you know what, Tyler Gouydon is gonna be a guy that's gonna be here for ten plus years or whatever. They you'll happily pay that guy because he's your left tackle. And you're like, wow, hey, I can't believe we got him at twenty they moved back to nine.
Speaker 3: Twenty nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got him at twenty nine. This guy's performing like we would have taken him in the top ten. You'd gladly welcome that. Or if Marshawn Neelan, if he ends up being another DeMarcus Lawrence you'd want that. That'd be great to have, and then you have to make those tough decisions. But that that's a great spot to be in as far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 4: I got another question here from Morris McCrae from Tacoma, Washington.
Speaker 5: Stinky tanky Town, tac Town, bab ye, excuse me. Let's call them stinks as a city, like literally stinks. You drive up and you like you hit you in a note or a refinery there. I think it's fascinating.
Speaker 4: That's a good question. And granted not putting it out there for like, we don't want this to happen. But let's just say Decats entered Missus two or three games and Trey Lance plays, well, oh here we go and gets that opportunity at this position.
Speaker 3: Does Dak get his job back? It depends on how great he's playing.
Speaker 6: Yes, he gets his job back. He could throw for four hundred yards every game. He's getting his job back. There's there's nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm the wrong person.
Speaker 3: Part of the year. Good question. There's a lot of variables there.
Speaker 7: I'm the wrong persons.
Speaker 4: Let's say it's late in the year.
Speaker 5: Right in the year, right before playoffs and comes out and you just he's bawling Trey Lancers like absolutely serviceable.
Speaker 3: Let's say it serviceable. What's the injury. There's a lot of variables, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of It's easy to say no, Dak gets his job back, but there's a lot of variables there.
Speaker 7: There's a scenario where keeps the job.
Speaker 1: I think, no question there is.
Speaker 7: I think there's eighty percent of the scenarios right.
Speaker 3: And I don't disagree with you. I would have said that about somebody else. I'm just saying that took us fun.
Speaker 1: So that's what I was, That's what I was getting to do.
Speaker 3: You will not.
Speaker 1: There is nothing I hate when people don't admit when they're wrong on, like especially in sports, and takes something. There's nothing since I've covered the team I've been more wrong on than Romo not getting his job back. Now and I'm talking like, as they were winning throughout, I was like, it doesn't matter, and there's several reasons for this, a lot of stuff behind the scenes, the coaching staff at that time, things like that where I was like, nah, Rumbo's getting this thing back. I guarantee you if he's healthy he's getting this thing back, and when he didn't, I was like, man, I I can't believe that they did that. That's wild like that that really surprised me. I do think it was the right move obviously going forward, but when that happened, I was like, that just shows you, man that in this business, like really anything is possible, that you you can't really rule anything out. I do think it's highly unlikely that scenario right there, that they would do that, But you can't sit there and say any of them. It's like, no, no, no, that would never happen at all.
Speaker 4: Right, boys, that'll be it for Talking Cowboys. We will be back next Wednesday nine. A m uh storyline is going to be on to Live Today at one pm. Thank you, Chris Beam, thank you, Isaia stand back, John Machoda, Nick Harris, I'm Josh Rodriguez. Will be back next week, Riguez Lada.
Speaker 2: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.