Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Pania, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Welcome in What's Right with Nick Wright Episode two fifty eight. I just lost my monitor. I hope we're still gone. Do you guys tell me if we're not. But either way, we got a lot to Judy Russ. We'll get to what missed I caught right now. Russ named Week one starter for Pittsburgh. Bailey Zappi to Kansas City. There's not a quarterback controversy, guys, and lebron tells Bronni not to call him dad in the workplace. None of that is surprising. I did the steven A did a funny thing about what Lebron should call Bronni, uh, what Bronni should call Lebron in the workplace, And he came up with some ideas that I think Lebron actually ended up going with. But before we get to demons, and before we get to the top of the show, let me remind you guys. This episode of What's Right with Nick Ride is brought to you by Huggies Skin Essentials. Baby's Rejoice, New Huggies skin Essentials are here, a brand new dermatologist approved line of diapers, wipes, and pull up training pants, all designed with a baby's sensitive skin in mind. All right, Demonse, how are you a week out of football beginning?
Speaker 3: I'm pretty good. I'm feeling amazing stuff this morning. I'm ready. I've got my I've got my five picks ready for the b block.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what I was going to ask you, And there I have not reviewed them. I saw that they were in the rundown and so then I just like scrolled past it quickly because I want to be surprised by it. But I like, you got your five picks in for the rundown? Oh wow, did you go give me a little preview? Did you go like season win totals or did you go bigger picture?
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess season win totals in a way for most of them, but yeah, it was, it was. It was somewhat similar to what we did on Tuesday.
Speaker 2: But uh no, what I mean is like, are you doing like super Bowl winner Division winner or are you doing like this team win at least nine games?
Speaker 3: Yeah? No, both of those. There's one of those in and the thing. And I think there's some one season prop betting there, which is kind of proper.
Speaker 2: Lord. Yeah, okay, all right, I like that. I listen, there is I'm surveying the kind of take in prediction landscape. Okay, and let me give credit to somebody before I do any criticism. Cousin sal And. I don't know if he's going to be right or wrong, but he's at least giving himself a chance to have a great prediction year because he is following the prediction rules, which is, you have to find at least one team that everyone thinks is going to be awesome that falls off. You have to find at least one team that everyone thinks is going to be terrible that shocks people. You have to find at least one worse to first. Those things happen every single year, and Sal did it. I think I did it with mine. Speaking of Sal, I mean, what a shot in my ribs when I'm listening to my pal Bill Simmons and my pale cousin Sal do their over Under podcast, and Bill the podfather says just he's giving a take and then says, seemingly out of nowhere, and I'm not giving a hot take just to get aggregated like Nick Wright. And then he's like, gives a very half hearted sorry Nick, and then keeps it moving. I mean, I the that's point what I would call not only uncalled for, but unfounded. And so I'm you know, I'm gonna I'm gonna reach out to Bill uh and I'm sure. I mean, it's my feelings aren't hurt. I just I would like to know what he's talking about. I feel like I'm the op. It's the opposite. I don't even I I don't even tweet out clips from the show that often. I the I'm very I'm not as online as many and I mean people can say I've had some, you know, hot takes in the past, but the hottest ones have come true. That's not I guess you could say me picking the Bears to go to the Super Bowl is, you know, but I'm not trying to get aggregated for that. The me not believing in the Philadelphia Eagles, I guess is my hottest take of this offseason. They were the worst team of football for two months. So the now, the bright side is it will probably be the entry point to me making my long weighted debut on the BS the Bill Simmons podcast, because that's long overdue. Wilds goes on all the time. Bill and I are quite friendly, and now you know he has to let me come on and defend myself. I mean, I feel like, like no choice there, It's only right, and so I'll reach out. It's early on the West coast, so I heard it this morning. I'm listening playing. I got up at six am, do a little workout, play a game of college football. And while I'm playing college football, I'm listening to the Simmons and Salover Unders podcast and Annual Tradition and I and I get and I just a total drive by.
Speaker 3: Shot to that type of thing happens, like do you is it like your summing kind of dropper?
Speaker 2: Well, I was just shocked. I was just shocked. Like the it's always weird hearing your name referenced on something that you're listening to, you know what I mean, without knowing it had happened. I assume, like this just draw that podcast dropped either this morning or yesterday. I assume at some point today, the internet will pick it up, and you know what I mean, the the like that'll be there'll be a story somewhere. Yeah exactly. I mean, but Bill and I are cool and friends. But uh but I so, I It's not like I had any heads up, nobody had text me or anything. Uh and so yeah, so am I. Uh so I'm excited to I will say this real quick. Early in my TV career, I was listening to actually Bill's podcast and Chuck Klosterman, who's one of my favorite writers ever and uh just a really smart, unique guy. He goes on with Bill once or twice a year and has for almost twenty years. And I've only at this point been on TV for like two years. And they're talking Jordan Lebron and Closterman goes to Bill. He was like, do you know that Nick Wright guy who's always talking about Lebron and I'm just listening. No one has told me it happened, and that to me was like one of the coolest moments. I was like, I love this guy. I've listened to this guy since I was a kid, and they were you know, complimentary or nice there. But yeah, so okay, now to the things that actually matter. I don't even know how.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: The reason I got on this topic was there's a lot of chalky predictions be given your fourteen playoff teams, and it's like the twelve Vegas favorites plus the one you know, your only team that is, let me find a good example of it, like your most out there pick, this team missed and is now gonna make it as the Jets or the Bengals those If your goal is to just do okay with season predictions, that's fine. If your goal is to nail it, then you have to be more ambitious, just ward to the wise, because if you know what, I don't need to beat around the bush anymore. I've been wildly disappointed with Bruce picks. They're just all the favorites. They're just all the favorites. All the teams that were good last year are good again. There's almost known. The only new playoff teams are the Jets and the Bengals, and today I'm sure he's gonna pick the Falcons. There's no worse to first, there's no this team. Everyone thinks it's gonna be awesome falls off. It's just very very well. I mean, I gotta tell you, I'm gonna I'm gonna you know what here is. Brew doesn't listen to the pod, at least I don't think, so, I'm just gonna reveal it. Today's Thursday. So we do the bud list. He's under dress list, and I'm putting his picks on the butd list because they're the picks that I mean. Just you know what I mean, A as the Internet would say, a casual would make. Oh, these teams were good last year, they're all gonna be good again. These teams stunk last year, they're all gonna stink again. I don't And so, yeah, he's being too safe. He's being too safe, tell you that much right now? Too safe? All right to mon say, let's get to the show, all right.
Speaker 3: So, over one hundred credible NFL players are asked as to a poll on quarterbacks in the league. And a lot of folks are Most of the folks are saying Patrick Mahomes is easily the best quarterback in the league now. But was surprising, yep was a lot of them were also saying that Patrick Mahomes is already the goat. So is that surprising to you or not?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I was surprised he got There were ninety two goat votes. It looks like Brady got eighty five. Mahomes got seven, and I understand that's not a big number, but the fact that it's not zero is noteworthy. And so it was surprising to me because right now I believe both of these things wholeheartedly, and I don't think they're in conflict. Patrick Mahomes is the best quarterback ever and Tom Brady is the goat. I think Patrick Mahomes plays the position at the highest level anyone's ever played it. I don't think there is a single thing Brady could do that Mahomes can't. I think he has all the intangibles, all the tangibles, and a couple more tangibles than Tom had. I also think Tom is the goat because it's not just about you know, basically what your Madden rating would be. It also has to be about how long you did it for what your accomplishments are. The reason I found this intriguing is I actually now believe if there are people who are already willing to say no, he's the goat. I think that if they pull off the three peat, it might be fifty to fifty. I think if they pull off the three peat, he might there might already be half a football America saying no, he's the goat. He's not just the most talented, he's the goat. Because keep in mind, what if we just operate in the universe of if the Chiefs win the Super Bowl this year, what that will mean is this, through seven years of this guy's career, well eight years of his career, but seven years playing, he was in the Final four all seven times for an organization that in the fifty years before he got there made the Final four one time. He was in the Super Bowl five times for an organization that in the fifty years before he got there was in the Super Bowl zero times. He won the Super Bowl four times in seven years for an organization that obviously had won zero in the previous fifty and he pulled off a three peat in a league where no one had pulled off a back to back in twenty years, that's what he would have done. It would mean that through seven years of the guy's career, his worst season ever was twelve wins a conference championship loss in overtime. It would also mean that his playoff record gets run all the way up to eighteen and three, and he would be second all time in postseason victories, behind just Brady. And it would also mean that Mahomes has won Super Bowls with every style of team one could win with. And so if they win it this year, I do think, man, that people are just some people will still go to Tom's seven and not just Tom seven, but they'll also go to the Yes, correct, they'll go to them. But so that's the other part of it that I do wonder about in this regard. I think right after it happened, people looked at it like, man, all Brady beat prime Patrick. But I do what I wonder is if history will look at it more like Brady's prime was. The year after he beat Patrick in the Super Bowl, he was second in MVP voting, so Brady's prime was still going and top prime. Brady beat young Patrick. I wonder if the narrative will flip because if if Patrick all of a sudden wins three straight and Brady beat him twice in his first three seasons as a starter, I think people will say, oh, well, Mahomes wasn't as good as he got to when Brady was playing. Now that I right now, and like he didn't yet know how to win, and Brady had all all of this. Now what is again? I don't know. I think it's probably a little bit of both, but it is it will it will be less of a kill shot because when when Brady won that Super Bowl in Tampa, I was on TV before and after and I said, Man, the saddest part about this is it might mean that Patrick can't run him down because now the Super Bowls are seven to one. We don't know, you know, if he's gonna ever really have the chance to do it. But the getting a phone call from Scranton, Pennsylvania, I wonder if that's Joe Biden. But but the fact that since Tom beat Patrick, what Patrick's gone out and done. If he ends up what is in the next four years pull off a three peat without Tyreek Hill, it'll and that's the other the last point, real quick before you get to your follow ups. The other thing is, in a weird way, Tyreek continuing to go and set these records and Mahomes winning super Bowls, I think only adds to the legend. And so the if and so there's just a lot. There's a lot here that is at the doorstep for Patrick and if through seven years as a starter, and Brady obviously played forever and was unbelievable. But part of Brady's legend is fourteen conference championship appearances, ten Super Bowl appearances, incomprehensible seven rings. If through seven years, Mahomes has half the conference championship appearances, half the Super Bowls, and more than half the rings. Well, you're starting to build quite the case.
Speaker 3: All right, go ahead, So Tom Brady was f One of the producers said that Tom Brady was forty three at his prime quote unquote when he played Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 2: Well, so I think they're there. It's a legit question that as far as like was he And the point that I'm making is, I don't think in the moment people thought he was. But I think when history looks back on it, what they will see is this. Tom Brady in twenty twenty beat Patrick Mahomes to win a Super Bowl. The next year, Tom Brady led the NFL in passing yards, in passing touchdowns, his team went thirteen and four, and he finished second in MVP voting to Aaron Rodgers. So, statistically speaking, could the most yards Brady ever threw in a season came after he beat Mahomes in the Super Bowl. The second most touchdowns Brady ever threw in a season came after he beat Mahomes in the Super Bowl. So it's just, I mean, that is a testament to Brady's greatness, But there is an element of I mean, if the year after beating Patrick they won thirteen games, he threw for fifty three hundred yards and almost one league in MVP, it's very hard to say that the year before he did all that he was some diminished, lesser player. That's all I'm saying. All right, now, let's get to the follow up.
Speaker 3: So yeah, Josh Allen, who was considered Patrick's biggest rival at one point, was voted the most overrated quarterback. Do you think this is the one of the bigger gaps that we've ever seen between this the first best quarterback and second best.
Speaker 2: So I thought that was a really interesting question the producers put in there, because I hadn't thought of that that concept. But now that it's out, now that they put it to me, my answer is almost, oh, yeah, definitely, because with Brady there was early on there was Peyton Manning and Peyton Brady Brady Peyton was a real debate for almost the entirety of Peyton's career. Once Peyton was gone, there was Rogers and Rogers, Brady Brady Rogers, not as far as who had the better career, but who was better in the moment was a real debate. In the nineties, Steve Young, Brett Farv, Troy. I don't think, in my opinion Troy was not quite at that level, but Young and Farv that was a real debate back and forth. In the eighties, Marino was the best, but well, Montana is there, So I guess Montana is probably the best, but some people I kind of Marina is so good and always there. Seventies you have Bradshaw and Stall back.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: So the answer to that question that I had never thought of is yeah, it is. Because here's the thing, there is not consensus on who's second, and there is universal consensus on who's first. Right now, who's the second best quarterback in football? The following people would get votes Lamar, Josh Burrow, Some people might There are a few people that would say Rogers. There are a few people that would say Stroud, and there are a few people that would say party. There's there to me, Josh would get the most votes. What Lamar and Joe would be third and fourth? What do you?
Speaker 3: What do you say? That was really funny people would say party. I thought you were gonna say, like Jalen Hurts or something, that's what he's saying that.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I mean maybe I think there are man, I think there are some people that would be like, well, I don't know, look at his stats, look at his wins. Who cares where he was drafted? Again, it's so all right, take party out of it. But there's five guys. Do you agree that some people might say C J. Stroud. It's not a lot, but some people, Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's fair, Go ahead. Yeah, I think Greg.
Speaker 2: Jennings did say it. I think Greg Jennings did say it. Actually, now that I think about it, and we know that Lamar, Josh and Burrow would all get votes for the second back. Yeah, and so so I just yeah, I think the GAP's about as big as possible. All right, let's go to the Cowboys and ceedee lamb.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so ceedee lamb. Finally got his extension, and Jerry Jones could not wait to get on the podium or get on a mic wherever he was doing this at He said, yeah, hell no, there's nobody that could effing come in here and do all the contracts and be a GM any better than I can. So luckily we have a GM in the making in you. Do you think that you could do a better job than Jerry Jones at being a GM.
Speaker 2: At the contract stuff?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the contract situation.
Speaker 2: By the way, shout out Clarence Hill. He has a new website. I want to give it credit because he's gotten some amazing Jerry Jones quotes lately and some amazing interviews. Oh gosh, is it Clarence Hill? Hold on, I want to make sure that I'm giving proper credit here. I thought it was Clarence Hill. I'm gonna be very embarrassed if I'm wrong about this. I gotta find it real quick. Uh, because a lot of these Jerry Jones quotes that uh that needs we've been using on TV. Uh are let me see if this is what? I can't find it now. The A lot of the Jerry Jones quotes that we've used on TV are from him or from his new website. I hold on Clarence. I want to give credit because this matters cowboys website. I think it's like all Dallas is what it's called. But now I can't find it. Producers, Can you guys please try to find what this website is and then put it in the thing. I think it's like a L L D l LS. But whatever, he's starting his own venture is the point, which is why I want to give him credit. Uh. And so I but I but when I go to his Twitter bio, it says, okay, so it is, so, thank you very Dusty. Also just sent it to me yet And I did have the website right, a L L D l LS dot com. Uh, And it's a subscription website. And but am I wrong that it's Clarence Hills who knows man? Uh? Okay, it is his That's what I thought, Dusty. Thank you for the help, producers, Thank you for the help. Point is he keeps getting these interviews with Jerry Jones where Jerry talks about Dak's contract where Jerry dropped seven F bombs as in this so credit to him. Good for him. If you're a Cowboys fan, check it out. Support local and independent media. Pay for subscriptions, don't share passwords. Just come on, folks. It's like six bucks a month and a lot of these places help folks out. Subscribe to substacks. Do all that. Just do it. Okay, Now to the point that I was trying to make, could I do the contracts better? Yeah, of course, it's so terrible. I mean, by the way, they're screwing up the Mica thing right now, right now, they're screwing up the Mica thing. You know why because I know what it would take to have signed Micah Parsons this offseason. It's very simple. You go to Nick Bosa's deal. You see it's five for one seventy. So you tell Micah five for one seventy five. That's it. Now you're done. We can move on thirty five million a year, you break the record, or maybe five for one seventy six, so he can say he's ahead of Justin Jefferson on average per year. That's fine, and because Mike has got two years left on his deal, you can spread that money out more. Instead, he's waiting, and now next off season, Bosa's gonna get jumped and we're gonna have this protracted nonsense with Micah, just like we just had with Ceedee Lamb, Ceedee Lamb. If they would have done this a year ago when they could have, they could have gotten Ceedee Lamb for four for one twenty instead it was four for one thirty.
Speaker 3: Do it at that time?
Speaker 2: Now? Is that the biggest right? It's so they're bad at this. They are bad at this. They're good at drafting and they're good at marketing. They are bad at the contracts part. And there's yeah, so could I do it better? Yes, of course I could do it better. I mean there's there's but that's not a compliment to me. There's a lot of folks that could do this better. What's the follow up?
Speaker 3: So, yeah, Dak and Mica are still waiting for their extensions, even though Jerry said, we don't need to get it done right now. But Dak's backup, Trey Lance, has thrown five picks in the preseason games. Does that alter the plan for Jerry at all, do you think?
Speaker 2: So? Listen, here's what I think. I think Dak's got to hold his water for another nine days, and then he's going to shock people at the type of contract he gets to sign in the offseason. Maybe with Dallas, maybe with the Giants with Bill Belichick as his coach, Maybe with the Raiders with Bill Belichick as his coach, Maybe with the Steelers with Mike Tomlin as his coach. But either way Dak is They're not signing Dak before the year. I have been striden an adamant on this for months. This is either going to be Demanse a Classic two or a Classic three if Dak agrees to a deal with the Cowboys before the season. I was loud and wrong about it for months. But I won't be because he won't. And when I say people are going to be shocked at the deal he signs, I am saying I think Dak is going to get because keep in mind, players want shorter deals, not longer, because they want to hit free agency again. I think Dak could sign three years, two hundred million dollars. I think that is on the board. I think that if it's a four year deal. We're talking four years, two hundred and sixty five million dollars. We're talking sixty seven million ish dollars a year for Dak Prescott. And that's because last time around, Jerry waited and puttsed around and then Dak got a no trade and a no tag. So that's what I think is gonna happen. All right, Let's move on to the Niners and the Bengals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So two teams that give the Chiefs the most competition have some blaring weak spots right now. San Francisco.
Speaker 2: The loss of the Niners in Patrick Mahomes' career. For the record, there's no team we own more than San Francis.
Speaker 3: This is still give them.
Speaker 2: You can't give them trouble. I mean, I mean, I mean the problems. Yeah, not tripping over the confetti after we play them. I mean, give me a don't don't put the don't put the Niners in that category. Patrick was just for the record, Patrick Mahomes against the Niners in his career has a one to twenty three passer rating in the regular season, with six touchdowns and averages three hundred and seventy yards per game. And in the postseason has played them twice, won MVP of the Game both times, and won the Super Bowl. The Bengals are a different story, But go ahead, it's just an yes.
Speaker 3: The Niners problems don't matter, but they have I you calding out and Trent Williams is holding out as well. Yeah. And then meanwhile in Cincinnati, Burrow's health is still a question mark and Jamar Chase doesn't still doesn't have a deal. Who should be more worried headed into the season about these problems.
Speaker 2: For the season, San Francisco for the long term, Cincinnati? So for the season. Listen, Trent Williams on my top ten players in the league. I had him number two. I he's a legendary player that the team has to have. Right. The Brandon Ayuk thing got a little more interesting. I don't know if you guys saw about an hour ago Cleveland converted like forty million of Deshaun's salary into signing bonus to free up cap space for this year. Now, you can roll cap space over, but why would you free up cap space forty million of it for this year? Free agency's over seasons about to begin Unless let me do my Brian windhors what's going on in Cleveland. Unless you think the Brandon Ayuk trade, you could be back in that business, back in the Brandon Ayuk market. So the Niners have to get this taken care of for this year. The Bengals, I'm worried that Mike Brown is gonna Mike Brown Demond's eight. The Bengals, when I say they are a notoriously cheap franchise, they used to take money out of the player's paychecks for their jockstraps, for towels, the gatorade machine in the locker room demands, and the soda machine. You had to put a quarters into it and a dollar. It wasn't just like, hey, you're at the facility. It's like, no, we're gonna get this money too. They in order to pay for Joe Burrow's contract, they sold the naming rights to the stadium, and the fact that they won't pay Jamar Chase is baffling. It's just I understood them not paying Higgins, but that was just so they could pay Chase. I thought, So, yeah, I'm worried about the Bengals long term. I think they're gonna be excellent this year, but long term, the Bengals could go back to being the Bengals, And I'm worried about the Niners short term because they have to have Trent Williams and the Ayuk. Things getting messy, all right.
Speaker 3: Next A Jacoby Brissett has won the quarterback battle in New England. We don't know how long that's gonna last. Because Gerard Mayo said that Drake Mayo played him in the preseason. Meanwhile, Bo Nix is the quarterback one in Denver. You said on Tuesday he's gonna trick people in the think and that he's actually good. How likely do you think it is that may and Nix will by the end of the year end up in the same conversation as Kayle Williams and Daniels.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I don't think it's likely at all. Now. I think Drake may eventually could, but they the Patriots. If you're so terrified that your offensive line is so bad that you can't play the better quarterback, then you should have traded the pick and drafted offensive lineman. I just should have. You should have rebuilt the team, made the trade with the Giants because to not play Drake may because you're like Oh, it's negligent because the guy's gonna get injured behind our terrible offensive line. That you can't go about business that way. I like Jaden Daniels as a talent and as a player. I'm incredibly worried about him getting hurt. I know, you think I'm being silly on this. He is. His frame concerns me flatly. I will take note. This is one of those ones demons. I hope to be wrong because if I'm right too, it means this kid suffered a significant injury. And so I hope I'm wrong. And I'm relatively high on Washington this year because when he plays, I think he'll be good. I think he's a really good player. I just think he's gonna get beat up, is my concern.
Speaker 3: Let's see, like, oh, we don't want to put our good quarterback behind the offensive line. But it's like, hey, we got the fire. You know.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable.
Speaker 3: I mean, like if you.
Speaker 2: Imagine that in another walk of life, Like yeah, I mean it is a wild, wild thing to be Like, we think it's a little unsafe, so you go do it. Yeah, I mean, if you're I mean, if you're Jacoby Brissette, as Don Draper would say, that's what the money's for. But geez all right, at.
Speaker 3: The aside from Caleb, who do you think making the super Who do you think is going to make the Super Bowl? For some insane reason? How would you rank the ricky quarterbacks?
Speaker 2: Oh aside from Caleb, who I think is going to make the Super Bowl? How would listen? I would rank them as far as ability? Uh, in the exact order they were drafted, Actually, Caleb, Jaden, Drake, Penix, McCarthy, Nicks. As how I would rank them as far as where I would have drafted them. It would I would flip Jaden and uh, what you mean? Jaden and Drake and no, no, no, and Drake because I like the Because of my concerns about Drake's frame, I don't think Nix is a long term NFL starter. Panix I worry because of his age and all his knee surgeries. But he is a dynamic player. And JJ McCarthy to me, is just solid. He's just gonna be fine. I don't think he's gonna be great. I think he's gonna be fine. He was very good in the preseason, all right, up. Hilarious you're not gonna be. I have a great US open story that's not even about tennis. I'll tell you that story next What's Right. Welcome back in What's Right with Nick Wright Episode two fifty eight, and this episode is brought to you by Huggies Skin Essentials. New parents are changing diapers all the time. While my kids are obviously past diaper age, I still remember what it was like. Not always pleasant, and it's made harder with surprises like diaper rash, which can be uncomfortable for kids and stressful for parents. However, baby's rejoice new Huggy's Skin Essentials are here, a brand new dermatologists proved line of diapers, wipes, and pull up training pants, all designed with a baby sensitive skin in mind. The skin Essentials diapers feature the skin protect liner and help protect against the top two causes of rash by managing moisture and running mess. The wipes are thick and have zero harsh ingredients for a great, gentle clean pull up. Skin Essentials has got your big kid covered with a training pant that is ultrasoft and breatheable to help protect sensitive skin throughout potty training. Learn more Huggies dot Com once again had to Huggies dot Com to learn more. All right, demand, let's get to one of your favorite parts of the year, the tennis corner. Go ahead.
Speaker 3: Yes, so the US Open is underway, and it looks like you stop buyo with some buddies to check it out. So we all know you were gonna be a ball boy. So how difficult was it to watch on the sideline and not be on the court?
Speaker 2: Well, I listen, so a few things. I watched an outer court match on like court seventeen ladies match with some lesser players, and I gotta tell you, you know, I don't know it was court seventeen, but one of the outer courts I can. I was, even in my injured state, I was a better ballperson than some of the ball people out there. They didn't know how to show them. They didn't have the balls they were the roles had bounces. They it wasn't so I next year I could do it if I you know, if I come in in shape and uninjured, there's no question about it. But I So here's the deal. So every year, my buddy Mark Carmon from Chicago, who tried out for the US Open ballperson stuff with me flies in from Chicago, goes to the US Open for multiple days. Danny Parkins, my good friend from Chicago but who now lives here. See mornings on FS one and Breakfast Ball. He had never been to the US Open. So Tuesday night, he and I I drive out to Flushing. I park in my secret US Open parking spot that I will never reveal to anyone, but it is so elite. It is free, legal, always available, and a six minute walk from the gate and you avoid all the traffic. And I'll tell no one about it. I'll tell you where it is because then I'll dumb luck. Six years ago. So here's the deal. Six years ago, I found this spot and I was like, oh my god, this is perfect, and I took a picture of the storefront where it's the spot's right in front of. And then every year come to the US Open, I search on my phone for that picture, type the name of that store into maps and navigate there, and every year, multiple times a year, the spot's just waiting for me. It's amazing. But regardless, Uh, so we go and we haven't bought tickets and it's like now it's like seven to ten, and the late match starts at seven, the Alcarez match, and so I so on the way in we buy tickets, and because it's Alcorrez man in the US Open has been live this year, the Algoriz match is it's still like two grand a ticket for the great seats. I'm like, well, I'm not doing that. And then if I'm not doing the great seats, then I'll just sit upper deck center, you know what I mean, very high, but a good view center. And those tickets, because the matches started are down from they were like two hundred and twenty bucks earlier in the day when I looked, now they're down to half that, like around one oh five to one ten. So I buy two upper deck middle seats and go in. Meet karm at that match on the outer courts that he was watching. We watched that for a minute. Walk over to Alcarez. Late in the first set, we're sitting there. Second set, this kid from Australia who's never won anything, looks like he's going to win the set, and I'm like, oh my god, this is gonna be a real match. Now. Now it's one to one, it's going to be one to one, and we're gonna get at least a four setter, maybe a five setter. Alcarez is gonna have to try, Like this is amazing. Now it's like eight fifteen, eight ten, and I'm like, I wonder if any of those elite seats are still available, and you can't just sneak down into him, because the stadium's two packed and they're check tickets and you can't like just like check see what tickets still available and then just go down there. So I look and four throw baseline right where the service line is. Four throw tickets that were two grand apiece earlier in the day are online still for sale, and now they're two hundred and fifty dollars each. And I'm like, man, because the guy they think it's going to go down to zero. So I did what I think is an unprecedented move. I bought tickets for a sporting event while at the sporting event with tickets I had already purchased, and I bought me and Danny and Karm tickets to go down low just so we could have better seats to watch. So that picture I took is from our seats, Like I don't know if we can put it back up, but these are great seats. That's we didn't like. Move down, that's where we were sitting. It was like five hundred bucks. Now here's the bad beat of it. I will tell you something. So this guy whoever was selling them had four seats available, and I bought two cause I'm like, I'm gonna buy you know, I'm gonna buy two. He's only selling them in pairs two or four. I was like, and if we have two, then probably karm can walk down with us whatever it is. But I'm buying two. But I'm in a stadium. You know how the Internet and Wi Fi in stadiums kind of suck. So I try to buy two and the app tells me, you know, didn't go through. I'm damn, So I try again. It goes through. I'm like, yes, perfect, wait for the little the email from Ticketmaster got it, claim the tickets, boom, walk down. Now we're in the seats, set threes about to start. Alcarez ended up rolling anyway, like this is awesome, drinking Honeyduces with two of my best friends. Great seats. Is Stiller is sitting right there, former NBA guy David Wesley. I'm looking at I'm like, I know that guy, I'm like, that's David Wesley. He's there. We're just we're in the mix. We're right there. It's the US Open. I didn't look at my phone. I have a new email. Two more tickets from Ticketmaster, so I bought four accidents. So those tickets, I'm like, those tickets, I'm like, I'm not claiming them. I didn't want to buy them, I didn't try to buy them. I'm not claiming them. And so yesterday morning I did a little chat with seat geek. I'm like, listen, look at the details here. I tried to buy two tickets. It was ninety minutes after the event had started. It didn't like it. It's somehow you guys sold me four. And the guy and he was like, can you I was like, I never even claimed them. I never accepted them. And the guy was super nice and he was like, listen, our policy is we cannot issue you a refund because you know whatever, you make sure you don't have him. He's like, but we can issue you a promo code for the exact amount. So but I and I use seat geek all the time. So that's as good, you know what I mean to me, it's as good as a refund. So they basically gave me a promo code so on my next order I can use, by the way, unpaid endorsement for them. I guess shout out to them. It was a good customer service. Yeah, I wasn't scamming him. I wasn't. I wasn't trying to do anything tricky. I was really just trying to buy two tickets. But because the internet and stadiums is bad, it said it didn't go through, but I guess it did, so I clicked it again and then whatever it is. But uh, but yeah, so it was great and I'm going again Sunday. Son. Oh, this is one other thing about the tennis corner, and then we'll move on. KARM was Danny asked was talking to Karm and KRM was like, yeah, I got two grounds passes, which is like entry too. You can go everywhere except for into ash uh from the US Open people for the ball Boy tryout. So we got four two. I'm sorry, you got two Tuesday ground passes for the try out. And he's like, did you get anything, Nick, And I'm like, yeah, yeah, they sent me some tickets too, and he's like, what they send you? I'm like what. He's like, no, what what did you get? And I was like, well, I got four Sunday ash lowers. And I could just kind of see the hurt in Karm's eyes that like they were like, all right, you get this and you get that. But yeah, so I'm going against Sunday uh, and then I'll go again next week and I'll go three or four times. I love it, and I'm gonna drink so many honey Deuces and I'm gonna it's just so great. Well it's it's gotta be there because it's two plus weeks. You can see so many things. The food is great, great food, and the honey deuce is just the greatest beverage in sports America. It's just so delicious. And so it's it's lemonade, vodka contro or whatever that's called. And it's got little honeydew melon little that looked like tennis balls in it. I mean, it's just great. And you get the collectible cup and the cup has every winner of the Open since ash men and women. I've got thirty of those. Demonse saw his mom and I get the dumbest entire like, Demonse, I can't even tell this sorry, but this was This was, honest to god, I think the closest Demanse has really come to using respect for me and reconsidering marriage when we've got these like thirty thirty old collectible Honeyduce cups. But there were two that were from Serena's last match. I'll just tell the story. Screw it. So I spent god, honestly probably seven or eight thousand dollars chasing the ghost of seeing Serena's final US Open match because I was like, I'm going to be there, I'm going to have awesome seats. But then she kept winning, so I buy these awesome seats. I go, but then she wins, so I'm like, well, that's not her last match now, so I do it again, and then she wins again, and now the tickets are just going up and up and up. But I was there. I think she won twice, the lost third match, whatever it was, I was there, and I have the cups. I have the cups, but all the cups from the previous nights they're identical. But I know these are special cups, and so I've separated them in our cupboard. And for some reason, man, my wife Demanse's mom was like, we're putting them together, but these are gonna I'm like, no, we're not. I'll put them. I'll put them downstairs if you want, I'll put them in the a in a locked box. I know. And this is just like stupid marriage whatever argument. And we stood in that kitchen and argued about this for fifteen minutes. And Demanse was looking at me like, man, stand up for yourself, say god, damn it, I'm putting these cups where I walk. But and he's just sitting there like kind of awkwardly like, oh boy, what we're going back and forth about these cups. That was so dumb. Oh my god, that was so dumb. I still think about that.
Speaker 3: And I feel, right, yeah, let's let's do it. So I did five bets, like you said, if we've got graphics for them, I'll just go one by one. I've got The first bet is Jacksonville to win the AFC South at plus two seventy. Really, yeah, one hundred percent. I think I think they'll do it.
Speaker 2: You were gonna go with c J Wow. Ye shocking to me.
Speaker 3: I'm just kind of kind of listening around, you know. I think it is a chance that they do take a step back, and I don't think that Jacksonville is far enough, far enough away as far as like a skill standpoint, I think I think it can go either way, and I'm comfortable with giving it to Jacksonville and saying that Jacksonville will take a step up and Houston will take a step back.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's awesome and plus two seventy is good value, all right, go ahead.
Speaker 3: Secondly, this is very predictable. I've got a Baltimore to win the AFC North that plus one forty five. Love that one, okay that that was just a very simple one for me. And then bat number three, the one that you previously cooked. I hope that Jane and Daniels does not get dinged because I have him to win Offensive Rookie of the Year at plus six hundred.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's a bad bet, Listen, I don't think that's a bad bet. I wouldn't bet Caleb to win Offensive Rookie of the Year.
Speaker 3: Just because I don't want to do that plus.
Speaker 2: One and plus one twenty on an award. It is crazy, yea, So no, I don't I don't think that's a bad bet at all, and so I like that. I think that's a good decent value.
Speaker 3: Four is four and five kind of go together, but not at the same time. Kansas City to win the AFC at plus three fifty, and then Kansas City it's at plus three fifty, and then Kansas City to win the Super Bowls at plus five fifty.
Speaker 2: I mean, another great bet.
Speaker 3: And this says when AFC at plus three fifty, I think it's to win the AFC Championship. I don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what it means.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, I see, because it didn't attach to the North Southeast whatever. Yeah, okay, yeah, so.
Speaker 2: I not the division to win the whole conference.
Speaker 3: Those are the five season bets right there that I love. We're sticking to them. I think they're all going to cash. Jane Daniels to win Office Rookie of the Year.
Speaker 2: Is six to one. Is hard. It's hard to win, but but I like it. I mean, I feel like a very proud father right now. I mean, you're betting on the Jags and the Chiefs, putting your hard earned money on it. I mean, I feel like I've talked you very well. I mean, this is we're gonna be aligned. I mean that is that's delightful. All right, Let's do the most annoying people in media and then move on.
Speaker 3: So the most important election of our lifetime is upon us. Uh. We are, of course talking about the spuns of most annoying people in football media bracket. I myself am honored to not be seated on here, but you were on there, And why do you think that people should vote for you for this prestigious award?
Speaker 2: Well, well, so that's not even what I so. I it is now a real gauntlet that I'm gonna have to go through because so uh, I crushed my rival Mina Chimes in round one. I then easily dispatched of Ian Rapaport in round two. I then took out Phil Simms in round three. And the margins have been historic eighty percent, seventy eight percent, sixty eight percent. But now we're to the final eight and I'm gonna have to go through Pat McAfee. And I mean he was a two seed, but that's a one seed written all over it. If I get past him, it's either Skip or Shady in the final four. So either a co worker, yeah I know I Shady is I'm surprised. It's a shocker. It's it's a shocker. I'm not gonna lie to you. Now. On the other side of the bracket, we know it's gonna it's Cowherd and steven A are gonna be in the final four, and one of them is gonna move on to the championship round. Here's why I take massive pride in this. Six years ago, I was a sixteen seed in this bracket and won it a Cinderella story for the ages. I took out Skip Colin and stephen A en route to a sixteen seed, winning the most annoying person in media in like twenty nineteen or twenty eighteen. In six short years, I've gone from being a sixteen seed in this thing to a one seed. The one seeds were stephen A, Skip Colin and me. You know a lot of people would say the annoying mount Rushmore there it is. I mean, the two seeds are unbelievable, fine bomb. Shannon McAfee and Shady. I think this is I don't think Shady's annoying. I think that's mean to Shady. I am. I'm delighted that Skip took out Clay Travis because I mean, Clay Travis should be a lifetime emeritis one seed and probably should have just swept this whole damn tournament. But if I could win this thing as a sixteen seed and then years later comeback as a one seed and win it, it'll be remarkable. I don't but I don't know that I like my chances against McAfee. I wonder if you can see the votes if you vote, Oh, I evidently you can. Uh uh oh fifty four six, I'm winning. Oh boy, So let's see. So here's let's let's check on, let's check in on the results. Up to this point, stephen A is gonna annihilate Fine Bomb. Uh, there's no question about that. And right now he's annihilating Fine Bomb. Colin's gonna annihilate mad Dog, and right oh, mad Dog's beating Colin. That'd be an upset mad Dog Colin.
Speaker 3: The sating in you will find Colin annoying. I'm just I'm a super surprised by Shady. I'm a little surprised by Colin.
Speaker 2: Not surprised by me at all. It would appear this is interesting, and so no, I think it again, I think it just means kind of polarizing. They're saying annoying, but you look at who's on there. I think it's polarizing, which is why I'm surprised. I'm surprised Shady like it's weird. I want to do well, but me saying other people should do well almost feels insulting. So it's kind of a weird line. I'm trying to walk here. But it would appear that Shady's Cinderella run is going to come to an end because Skip's got eighty percent of the vote. If the current votes hold, the final four is going to be steven A against mad Dog, which you can see all the time, and me against Skip. I mean again, it's fifty four forty six, so McAfee could come back at but we are. But McAfee barely beat urban Meyer that was a fifty to fifty. So this is I find this. Let me see if anyone has got the only person me? Stephen A and Skip have blown everyone out. Colin's done pretty well as well also. Uh so yeah, so there it is. I think I think I could become the first two time champion, So I love it. Uh and f one minute some of your listener questions. Next What's right? Yeah, maybe what's right? Welcome back in What's Right with Nick Wright. We have, since they're back from summer, break a new F one minute with the wonderful Sierra Fidel. Here it is.
Speaker 4: Hey, y'all, it's about that time for F one minute again with me. Sierra and I have breaking news, guys, absolutely re shattering. Honestly, we spoke about a certain racing driver earlier in the week. If you were here, let's play process of elimination. He's American right number one. He races for Williams and his stats are not too hot. You know, he's not doing too good, and he's to be replaced by Carlo Science. We're talking about Logan's sergeant. It's been announced that Williams has decided to drop him as a racing driver for their team. The Dutch Grand Prix was his last Gain Prix as a Formula One driver and he's to find other ways of racing. I guess he's no longer a Rollowin driver. And you know, based on what we were talking about last week, this is not surprising. You know, he wasn't doing good. He wasn't performing to their expectations. I guess and they weren't having it anymore. His replacement is the reserve driver. His name is Franco Klapinto. He's from F two and you know he's been in the F one space obviously because he's a reserve driver. But this will be his first race, like actually a Formula one. You know, I'm excited to see how he does, I guess, but he's no American hero like Logan Sergeant. But we'll see how that goes for him. But on a lineer note, we have the Italian Game pretty happening this weekend. It's going to be in Manza, which means this is the home race for the Ferrari team. Now, this also means that their fan base, the Tufosi, will be going crazy. It's going to be a sea of red red everywhere, and it's because they're very passionate people. You know, they love their team, they love their drivers, and whether they win or lose, you will see them in the stands going crazy. They are said to be bringing upgrades to the car, and you know, we'll see if they actually work. You know, they bring upgrades. Well, let's just see if they work and then we can go from there. Hopefully they do work. Because they said, you know, the team principle, and the driver said, they want to bring something to the foci, you know, to make them proud, YadA YadA. In my prediction list, I'm going to put them at number two. I don't know. I know I'm not allowed to be vague. I don't know if it's going to be Carlos or Charles, but I do see them on the ponium, and I say number two. And then as far as number one goes, I know I'm mentioned last and earlier in the week that I don't see Lando winning every single race from now on, and I stand by that I don't see that happening. But I also don't see Max winning this one. Now does that mean he will win it, I don't know. But I just don't see Max on that first place stool on the podium. So with that being said, I think it's gonna be third place. That's just me, though I'm not a Max hater, I promise, but I just don't see him first. But I do see McClaren first. But listen here, Marial, it doesn't have to be Lando. It could also be Oscar. So McLaren first for a second, and Red bull third. That's my prediction, and I also feel like it's I feel like someone's gonna be a good one. You know, it's been kind of chaotic relating up to it. It has to be good, and I think it will be good. I'm excited for this one. So if you have time, just watch the race. Watch the Italian Grand Prix this weekend so we can come back and talk about it. But that's it for the fort I'll see you guys next time.
Speaker 2: Great one as always, Sierra, and you got my guy, Carlos signs sayings on the podium. What more can I ask for?
Speaker 3: Watching F one this weekend?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because uh yeah, it's gonna be tougher when the NFL gets going, But yeah, watching F one this weekend. Got to figure out how to do it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, we're watching it.
Speaker 2: It's weird sometimes it's on. Yeah, you can do it. You can watch everything. All right, let's do quickly some listener questions. Uh, Jonathan Harris says that he needs my full list of bets with the units. I didn't say the units clearly last episode. I'm gonna put up a graphic, uh something, just just follow me. I assume you probably do follow me on Twitter if you're watching this and care about the bets, all put up a single sheet graphic with all of the with all of the bets and the units and all of it, and so you'll be able to see what exactly what the bets were. All right, read the next one, demonte.
Speaker 3: Mo better goat case if the Chiefs win it all, Andy or Mahomes pick one.
Speaker 2: Probably in this moment, Andy, because the Belichick's resume isn't as bulletproof as Brady's. You know, Belichick's at six not so there's Andy did have success pre Mahomes got to a Super Bowl one a million divisions, So probably Andy's if we're being honest, let's go to.
Speaker 3: M mercat any concerns for the Chief's death. They have overturned the bottom of the roster seemingly because they don't trust it.
Speaker 2: So that's one way to look at it, because they've added a lot of guys via waiver. The other way that might be true. The other way to look at it is they have been as good at scouting and at those things as any team in the league, and they think other teams have made mistakes and they're trying to pounce on it, But yeah, it is odd for a team as good as the Chiefs to add three guys via waivers, which is what they've done, and then one or two more via trade. So it's glass half full, glass half empty. The half empty is that they think the bottom of the roster is not that good. Half full is they think the bottom of the roster's fine. They just think these are mistakes by other teams. What's Producer Matt saying.
Speaker 3: Producer Matt, can I steal your goat best ever argument you made for Brady Mahomes and use it for Djokovic Fredder?
Speaker 2: So I actually agree with that, by the way, uh, producer Matt. If what you're saying is Djokovic has to be the goat because of the accomplishments, but Federer is the best you've ever seen, That's exactly how I feel. I think Feeder is the best tennis player I've ever seen, but I think Djokovic is the goat. So yeah, feel free to use it. It's just so much simpler when they're the same person. When the best you've ever seen also has the best resume. But everyone can't be Lebron James good show. Enjoy college football, this weekend. Uh, and we'll see you guys on Tuesday. I'll say you on first things first in about three hours. What's right? Good job to montsay? Hey, thanks for watching. If you're still here, do me a favor. Hit the subscribe button, then hit the bell so you can be notified when we have new episodes. After you've done that, one more favor, go to your favorite audio platform of choice and subscribe there as well. Don't forget we're live every Tuesday and Thursday ten thirty am Eastern Ish ten thirty five, ten forty. It sometimes changes, but that's why you hit the bell. You hit the bell so you're notified. You subscribe so we can get to two one hundred thousand followers. We're right around one hundred and fifty thousand. We'd love to get to two hundred thousand. Get demands another plaque, so like, subscribe rate, send a rating to do all that cool stuff. Thanks guys,