Speaker 1: Hey, and welcome to Short Stuff. I'm Josh, and there's Chuck and it's just us. But it's short Stuff and Chuck. This is the last episode of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: That's right, and that's it.
Speaker 1: That's all I had to say about that.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, let's talk porcelain, because porcelain isn't something I really knew much about until I.
Speaker 2: Did this research.
Speaker 3: And porcelain, as it turns out, you might know this you might not, is a type of ceramic. It's a subset of ceramics. What they are both made of clay, and they're both kiln fired, but porcelain clay has a much higher density and it's fired longer and at higher temperatures, and fussy, is much more durable, has very high performance characteristics, and it's you know, porcelain is that super hard mixing bowl that you got from your grandmother that like you can't break, you can break them, but just super hardy, super dense, non porous clay like material.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess I haven't had much experience with porcelain because I always thought of it as very delicate and highly breakable, but apparently that's not true. And once I thought about it a little bit. It's like, actually, I have lifetime experience with porcelain in the form of a toilet, but I hadn't really thought about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, toilets. Yeah, they don't break.
Speaker 1: Try it, you can't do it. So there's three things that show up in any kind of porcelain, and it's all natural. That's one of the big attractions of porcelain too. It's clay, quartz, and feldspar, which is a kind of rocket that can form from all sorts of different stuff. And there's all sorts of other stuff you can throw in. But depending on the kind of porcelain that you come up with, it's basically dependent on the materials you use, the raw materials, and then how high a temperature and how long you fire it for in the kiln. Those are the big variables that produce different kinds of porcelain. But probably the most common material that's used is called kalin, which is a kind of clay that's almost white. And this is like the big money porcelain clay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's usually going to be like that mixing bowl like tableware is usually that kalin, very very fine particle size. It's super durable, like we were talking about, and not permeable by any liquid.
Speaker 2: Just try it again.
Speaker 3: And you know, when we're talking firing temperatures, we'll get to a couple of different kinds of porcelain, but it can go up to twenty three hundred degrees fahrenheit about twelve sixty celsius. And it kind of just depends on the what you're making it for, like is it a toilet or is it a mixing bowl or is it fine China.
Speaker 1: And one other thing about porcelain too that I hadn't realized is that some kinds of it are translucent. And I was like, wait, that means kind of see through, and I looked up pictures of it, and yes, you can hold porcelain up to a light, like in your hand, and you can see the silhouette of your hand on the other side of it.
Speaker 3: Did you know that, Yeah, because I've worked with porcelain tile where you can do that a lot of time. Flortyle can be porcelain. But this all originated in China about two thousand years ago during the Tang dynasty. But it wasn't like the porcelain we know. It was basically like, hey, we put out our fire, and they discovered this really hard, unbroken, solid pieces of stuff, and that was just rudimentary porcelain. Later in the Yuan dynasty, it's about seven hundred, eight hundred years later, is when they really developed the porcelains. We know it the porcelain that Marco Polo found and brought back to Europe, and they were just went wild for this stuff.
Speaker 1: They did, and the market for porcelain opened up pretty quickly because trade routes were open thanks to Marco Polo. But the Europeans could not figure out how their Chinese friends were making this stuff. So all of the porcelain coming into Europe was foreign mate made in China. And that's why a lot of porcelain tablewhear is called China because it was kind of like the like Champagne is the sparkling wine. China was to porcelain right, and it took them quite a couple hundred years, I think before they finally cracked the code. And it was an alchemist who figured out how to make porcelain by basically reverse engineering a piece that he had from China.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a German alchemist, Johann Friedrich Brutgue, and he figured it out. This was in I guess the eighteenth century and by the latter half of the eighteenth century. In the seventeen seventies they found that Cowlin clay in Cornwall, England, and so the Brits were like, we can start making this stuff. Finally we've got we got the good stuff right here in Cornwall.
Speaker 1: Is it Cowlin like Shaolin?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I like how you said it, Wow, how'd you say it Kalin like Kalin or Calin?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: So Yeah, the Britz are like, great, we can put all this together thanks to Booker and Cornwall and start making our own porcelain. And I'm not quite sure. I get the impression that China made it its porcelain one of two ways, and the way that they mostly made their porcelain was through hard paste, and that the other one is soft paste. And it has to do with the density of the raw materials you're using, and then how high a temperature you fire it at and for how long. Like I was talking about before, these are basically the two types, two main categories of porcelain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think you're right.
Speaker 3: I think the Europeans use that soft paste a little more so it's a little more prone to chipping. It's a little grainier, just not as hearty overall. And then you got a glaze of stuff after you fire it. But the glazing I thought, you know, because I didn't know anything about this stuff, I thought the glazing might be kind of the final key to make it in permeable to liquids. Me too, but really has nothing to do with it. It's all right, impermeable. The glazing is just decorative.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's impermeable because it vitrifies, so like the the glass glass like materials become glass in it, so it's like kind of glassy. Really good porcelain is. So I say, Chuck, we take a little break and come back and talk some more about porcelain. What do you think. Let's do it, Chuck. I'd like to share something that I learned in our Dolls episode that I didn't have a chance to fit in, but now I do, because it seems like all of our episodes are now interlocking for some reason. But unglazed porcelain is called.
Speaker 2: Bisc bisk okay, it like b I s q u.
Speaker 1: E, exactly like a tomato, shrimp, lobster, lobster. That's the money one, sure.
Speaker 2: Although a lot of times that stuff's lang astino.
Speaker 1: You know, I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, if you go to like a really high price seafood restaurant, it'll be real lobster.
Speaker 2: But that lango is a pretty good sub.
Speaker 1: Is that a rock lobster langostina?
Speaker 3: No, it's I think it's just like a little tiny a little tiny guy like. I mean, it looks like lobster meat, but it's they're little, you know, it's like a shrimp size.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, okay, yeah, I've seen those before.
Speaker 3: I've never seen a langostina though, now that you mentioned, I've never looked that up.
Speaker 2: I think I see what the creature looks like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, i'd like to see that too. I've only seen it dead. I think that's what grabs everyone's face is in Beetle Juice and during the Calypso scene.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, I mentioned earlier before they break about porcelain tile. It's very hearty tile for a flooring or the wall, but if you're cutting porcelain tile, you're probably gonna need a tile saw. We talked about wet saals before they're wet because they are moving at such high speeds and drawing so much heat that the water cools off that blade. And there's a couple of ways you can actually form that tile. If it's up to like four feet by four feet, you basically have a special mold. But anything bigger than that and you're compacting it like just pressing layers and layers of ceramic powder until you get your desired size.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with a big old machine. Right.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: So there's a few reasons that people prize porcelain. For one, it can be really really valuable, as we'll see. But also, like I said, it's an all natural material, like a lot of the glazed colors that they use in glazing are like cobalt, iron oxide copper, like the raw materials are things like clay and feldspar. It's really easy to clean, as you know with a toilet, very resistant wolden bacterial growth. As you know with the toilet, it's water resistant, you know, like a toilet is. It's good for foot traffic like a toilet, and it doesn't emit harmful substances like a toilet. It can also be recycled, but that is a real niche I guess method or technique, like you can't just throw porcelain into your single stream recycling can Yeah, you have to go seek out somebody who recycles it. But the very fact that it's recyclable gives it kind of promise for the future as we get better and better creating a circular economy.
Speaker 3: That's right, you mentioned how valuable it can be. The world auction record for Chinese porcelain was set about, I don't know in twenty fourteen when the Mayan Tang chicken cup was sold for thirty six million dollars. And you know why is anything valuable is because there's not many of them. It was crafted between fourteen sixty five and eighty seven, when porcelain was just peaking at its quality, but they were producing the lowest amount, so it's just super rare. So that's why it fetched thirty six million.
Speaker 1: Yes, And that also points something out about porcelain too, is if you take good care of it, it's so durable it can last thousands of years, so at least a thousand years as far as we know. And there's like people are into porcelain, like collecting tableware or vases or things like that, and so there's like a whole world out there available to you to get into born bone porcelain, hard paste, soft paste, well basically those kind And if this thing floated your boat at all, I think good luck with your new hobby.
Speaker 2: Yeah for sure. I mean you said bone porcelain.
Speaker 3: If you've ever heard bone china, that was something that English did, and that's actual bone. They I think when they were sort of first searching out how to make this stuff, they before they cracked the code, they would use like eggshell and stuff like that to no avail, and finally they landed on actual human bone ground down obviously a very strong thing.
Speaker 2: Bone ash would be not from humans, apparently from.
Speaker 3: Farm animals, and it would really strengthen that stuff. And bone china you don't have to fire is how you can fire at lower temps.
Speaker 2: It's just not as strong.
Speaker 1: There is no way that in the history of bone china, no psycho has made it with human bones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good point. Are you enjoying your coffee exactly?
Speaker 1: Oh man, Chuck made me giggle. I mean, short stuff is out.
Speaker 2: Hey wait a minute, can we say goodbye for the year?
Speaker 1: Oh wait, yeah, yes, thank you, Chuck, I say we do that too.
Speaker 2: Goodbye.
Speaker 3: No, in all seriousness, and we want to thank everyone for another great year. Somehow here in your seventeen we're enjoying things as much or more than we ever have, which is hard to believe and pretty wonderful for us. And you know, big thanks to Dave and Ben and Jerry of course, and everyone who contributes his writers, you know, Julia and Anna and.
Speaker 2: Olivia, Olivia and Dave and Kyle.
Speaker 3: I think that's everybody right now, right it is. Yeah, we can thank the grabster for the old days.
Speaker 1: Even there you go, he comes up and selects sometimes to Doney.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: So I just want to say thanks for everyone for keeping us employed and what's for me, the greatest job in the world means.
Speaker 1: A lot, agreed. I second, Chuck, and yeah, thank you everybody. Thanks for another great year, and we'll see you next year for another great year. And now with short stuff out, Yeah, short stuff is out.
Speaker 2: Stuff you should Know is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: For more podcasts my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts
Speaker 1: Or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.