Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final.
Speaker 2: Hour on this Meet Friday, Dan and the Dan Ats Dan Patrick Show. It's a big day, our first day in Sacramento, Sacktown, Fox Sports eight ninety AM and one oh four point seven FM. Big thank you to the radio president, the Lotus Radio President, Jim Colmanson, and of course the GM there, Kurt Bagelman.
Speaker 3: Bagman. Yes, so Sacramento.
Speaker 2: Now we're up to I think four hundred and ten cities that carry this program. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. Garage Sale, everything on sale Dan Patrick dot Com. We've got to clear out the inventory all spring to get some new items there. At the end of last hour, is wondering where Carson Wentz was going because Gardner Minshew is going to take his job as a backup for the Chiefs, and I'm thinking, where's Carson Wentz going? And Fritzy said, maybe the Titans. This a little buzz about that, the little buzz okay, that might be a are you reporting this? I am not okay, Eddie was really.
Speaker 3: Reporting okay to do okay?
Speaker 2: The uh Carson Wentz to the Titans, maybe in a backup role.
Speaker 4: You've had a lot of sleepless nights wondering where Corson Wentz was playing.
Speaker 2: Not any longer, but five teams in the last five years. This won't be his last stop. Earlier today, Adam Schefter said that there was some growing interest with the Donalds Cowboys with Cooper Cup. I'm like, Okay, Cooper Cup, Cowboys are interested, and then about ninety minutes later the reverse course to say that the Cowboys are not interested in Cooper Cup. I don't know what happened in the ninety minutes other than he probably heard from somebody who said, uh, we're not interested. Now you're hearing and this makes a lot of sense, Seattle. And the reason why I say that is you stay in the NFC West. He is from I think Yakima, and he played at Eastern Washington, and they need some receivers. You could put him in there. Maybe you get a couple of years with Cooper Cup. You could do worse, that's for sure. I don't know what the price tag is going to be. I think he was making twenty million with the Rams, but maybe you get a bargain there and Devin mccorty, who former defensive back, joined his last hour and he said, that's a guy you won in your receiver room. He's the guy who's going to make the other guys work harder and understand what it takes. Now, as Cooper Cup says, a lot of guys are more talented than me, but you're not going to outwork me. And he provided us with I think the greatest is there another another year of the receiver that is better than what Cooper Cup did? You win the Triple Crown and you win the Super Bowl and you're the Super Bowl MVP. I don't think anybody has come up with anything that comes close to that. Because we've had a few receivers who've won the Triple Crown. How many have won the Super Bowl in the same year, and how many have won the MVP in the Super Bowl. Yes, Paully, I have a couple.
Speaker 5: Nineteen ninety five Jerry Rice one hundred and twenty two receptions, eighteen and forty eight yards and fifteen touchdowns. He finished second in the MVP. Okay year, I'm checking if they won the Super Bowl that year.
Speaker 2: Now he finished second with the regular season MVP.
Speaker 3: Correct Is that right?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 2: Who won the Did they the Niners win the Super Bowl that year? Jerry was the MVP. I think won Super Bowl when they beat the Broncos in New Orleans.
Speaker 6: I believe when they beat the Bengals, I believe.
Speaker 3: Oh he was.
Speaker 7: I'm almost certain, almost not a pie to the face, but ninety five percent sure.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But John Taylor caught the game winning touchdown pass against the Bengals.
Speaker 6: Think Jerry Rice had eighty seven catches in that game?
Speaker 3: No, he didn't.
Speaker 2: He had one big catch that set up the touchdown to John Taylor.
Speaker 3: Yes, poem.
Speaker 5: The ninety five nine ers did not even make it to the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Mmmm, well, it takes that year out, even though as great as it was now, Cooper Cup had the greatest year a wide receiver's ever had.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pong.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: A couple of lists that I have here, they all three have Cooper Cup up top. Another one is seven Randy Moss ninety eight catches, fifteen hundred yards, twenty three touchdowns.
Speaker 3: Okay, did not win the Super Bowl. Okay, I'm trying to think of anybody else would come close to that.
Speaker 2: I mean, felt like Calvin Johnson always had a great year, but he didn't play in any meaningful playoff games. Yeah, Cooper Cup, although Odell Beckham it felt like was on his way to being the MVP of had Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Is OBJ on a roster anymore? See still in Miami. Feels like.
Speaker 2: There's expiration date on that career. Yes, Marvin, he might be with Carson wentz Oh in Tennessee, just on a free agent market.
Speaker 7: Also, Jerry Rice did win the Super Bowl MVP for that Super Bowl against the Cincinnati Bengals. Really, you had eleven receptions for two hundred and fifteen yards in a touchdown?
Speaker 3: Okay, anything, Although.
Speaker 1: Start to day, start of a day, start outa day.
Speaker 3: This is the style.
Speaker 9: Of the day.
Speaker 2: Stat of the Day brought to you by panadi America, the official trading cards of the program. Good morning, if you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app. Fritzy was hoping Cooper Cup could end up with the Broncos. Diana Rassini on her Scoop City podcast said that, uh, Cooper Cup is not in the plans for the Denver Broncos.
Speaker 3: Just thing, I don't really have.
Speaker 4: Any credibility shot, I don't know, don't know anything about that effort.
Speaker 2: Diana Rassini The Athletic mentioned the Seahawks, Packers, Saints, and Vikings as teams having at least some level of interest in Cooper Cup. I'm not sure where the Cowboys name came out with this, Like, I understand that Jerry Jones likes you know, hey, we got Cooper Cup. Can he play? I don't know, but we got Cooper Cup. I get the Seahawks. That makes a lot of sense going back home. Packers, yeah, okay, Saints, Vikings, these are all NFC teams interested in him.
Speaker 10: All right.
Speaker 2: Poll question for the final hour of the program, Seaton, what are we going to go with? By the way, it's a meat Friday. We have corn beef on the way. Who has it better than we do?
Speaker 3: Money? All right?
Speaker 2: What's poll question for the final hour of this award nominated program.
Speaker 9: We're putting up there? The Patrick Mahomes backup is a fantastic gig or not one that you want?
Speaker 6: Not great?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 9: I think it's got its pluses and minuses.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I get it.
Speaker 2: I mean they're hoping you don't play. They don't want you to play unless you play. For two reasons. This game is so out of hand or your starting quarterback just got injured. Yeah, if you're playing, it's either really great or really terrible. Yeah, man, I still go back to Carson Wentz his second season in the league.
Speaker 3: Now, since nineteen.
Speaker 2: Seventy, there are two quarterbacks who had at least thirty touchdowns and fewer than ten interceptions in their second NFL season. One is Carson Wentz in twenty seventeen, he had thirty three touchdown passes and he had seven interceptions. Lamar Jackson in twenty nineteen was thirty six touchdown pousses and six interceptions.
Speaker 11: Statup to day startup Today status, day status the day, status to day status day status to day statug.
Speaker 2: Brought you by Panini America. And you talk about on the cusp of winning the MVP and then you get replaced, finished third in MVP race and then your backup wins the Super Bowl and that was it pretty much, that was it done, Yeah, Paul, Yeah.
Speaker 5: He started more games in Philly. He had a nice season Indy and now he's a bouncing around backup. But uh, it's really wild. He was third for MVP. It's an unbelievable season. And there's always so much injury that happened.
Speaker 3: He didn't lose his ability to play the position, did he? Or confidence? Well? That I think is what maybe have went Wentz? That see what I did? That's what? Wait?
Speaker 2: Blood you know that trying to go in for the touchdown against the Rams and got sandwiched and blowed Hissney.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have an article from summer of twenty eighteen if you could start your team with any quarterback under twenty five years old, Carson Wentz is in first place.
Speaker 2: By the way, why is it Kansas City loves former Jacksonville Jaguar quarterbacks Blaine Gabbert Chad Henny Gardner.
Speaker 6: Minshew, it's kind of interesting.
Speaker 2: Huh Yeah, well it's weird, weird, weird coincidence there.
Speaker 5: Yes, Paul quick poll question, would you rather be the Jaguar starter or the backup for the Chikansas City barely kidding?
Speaker 3: I would rather be the starter always, rather be the starter. Yeap, yep, yep, yep, yep. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Let's see. We touched on Steph Curry. We touched on basketball. No bids last night, no bids tonight, but plenty of them over the weekend. We get ready for March Madness in selection Sunday, Cooper Flag probably not going to play. I was curious about the odds. Now the odds to win the ACC Tournament, Duke is still a big favorite to win. Then Louisville, Clemson, and North Carolina. That's according to DraftKings odds to win March Madness. Duke is now second to Auburn. Before Cooper Flag's injury, it was Duke at a plus three twenty. Now they're plus three sixty. So it's Auburn and then it's Duke. Houston and Florida are tied, and then it's Alabama. But that's the updated odds with DraftKings. Josh in California, Hi Josh, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 12: Good morning, Dan and the Dunnet's a long time listener, second time caller. I wasn't going to talk about sports, but this is a special request. My wife listens to you guys every day.
Speaker 10: On her way to work.
Speaker 12: Her name is seb En. If you guys can say that, that'd be amazing.
Speaker 10: She just turned the big five.
Speaker 12: Oh there's a way to wish her happy birthday on the radio. I think she is still listening. I think she gets in to work well eight fifteen, eight thirty our time in California. So that'd be great if you guys could wish.
Speaker 10: Her happy birthday?
Speaker 3: Is is it sabien?
Speaker 12: So it's an Apathan Frank A b as a boy, I E n n e. So it's the female version of Fabian.
Speaker 3: Oh, Fabian Fabian French.
Speaker 2: Okay, monju come that to Wow?
Speaker 3: She speaks French.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well yes, how about Tim? Yeah we he focus bro, Happy birthday.
Speaker 6: Happy birthday.
Speaker 8: I wish I knew Frank.
Speaker 3: Thank thank you John. Her name is French and she speaks French.
Speaker 9: Happy birthday in French is j O y s e u X Joy to the world Sali Ali Uh, you guys are culture. We are so much. We are, especially in the back row. Yeah. I speak French fluently.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: I don't know what I'm saying, but I do speak anfluently. Dylan in California, Hi, Dylan, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 13: Hey morning boys, Happy meet Friday.
Speaker 8: Excellent French.
Speaker 13: By the way, Dan at a, I should say two things real quick. What direction do you boys feel like the Niners are going right now with the current fire sale of the forty nine ers, And also a shout out tribute to my grandma who passed away on Tuesday at the ripe age of ninety one. She has a big Joe Montana fan, and well how can you not be if you're an American?
Speaker 2: Thank you, Dylan. We don't have a song for those who have passed away, just letting you know. I mean we could, we could workshop you know, we have Dead Dad's Club, but maybe Fritzie could come up with a grandma passed away.
Speaker 6: It seems kind of incesive.
Speaker 3: It does. I was, I was just joking with that. Yeah, and I didn't want you to here comes that dead person. I'm sorry. Your grandmother's name glad classic away Jinks.
Speaker 9: Yeah, look at that chinks.
Speaker 2: There is certain names where you can envision what the person looks like like. For some reason, it just feels like there are names that you can't give to a baby because it belongs to an older like Martha, Gladys. Just certain names where you go, I know what, I know what that person looks like. Yeah, I know that haircut exactly, little Bob that she's gone there, Yes, Marvin, all.
Speaker 6: Right, So my son has his friend.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna say his name, This little boy named Gerald and so when I first met him, like, Oh, what's your friend's name, He's like, Oh, his name's Gerald, that's it. Hold on and so I know his mother. I said, can I ask you a question? Is he like the third?
Speaker 6: Yes? How'd you know? I was like, because I know an old black name.
Speaker 7: When I hear one, Gerald, there ain't no way in blue hell you named the baby in twenty fourteen, Jerald, I knew that was.
Speaker 9: The third hairlines already like Lebron, Oh for sure.
Speaker 7: I was like, damn Gerald, like Gerald LeVert, my god.
Speaker 3: Gerald Riggs when we're running out, Yes, John, are.
Speaker 4: There any swam Berthas who they got there?
Speaker 9: That?
Speaker 3: That's not?
Speaker 13: Wow?
Speaker 2: No, I'm not talking about somebody with a certain name. No, I'm picturing what they look. I'm not that they're their name a female name of the name Todd.
Speaker 6: Actually it is Bertha.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: Someone told me that you got to meet Heather.
Speaker 14: I'd be like, okay, I'd love to meet Heather. I don't know if I want to meet Bertha so fast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a tough one. Like there's certain names where you go. You can't give that to a baby.
Speaker 3: You just can't. Like Harry, you just can't.
Speaker 5: You can't, baby, Harry, Well, that's become hot in the last ten years. Yeah, I know, but I've had a big resurgence.
Speaker 3: Can't do it?
Speaker 9: Are you weighing in on your Your kids are at the ages now where they're pro creating, Yes, they're right, are having Are you weighing in on the no good?
Speaker 3: That's great?
Speaker 2: As my mom said to me, you have them, you name them, and she never ever uh offered up an opinion. And we don't either. So I got a second one on the way in June. A granddaughter or grandson I should say, and we don't even ask, uh, so what are you thinking? I mean, like, the only thing I would say to my son is don't name you know him after me, because that's a hell of a legacy to.
Speaker 3: Live up to and you shouldn't really do that too.
Speaker 5: Yes, checking the history. Bertha was very popular name in Germany in the past few hundred years.
Speaker 3: Great Bertha.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you could have it like a swimsuit model, you know, Bertha. I don't think so any other names don that you're thinking of that?
Speaker 14: I that I would have a certain thinking yeah about like a Murna or Sheila.
Speaker 4: I don't know if they're making a I don't know if they're gonna be Miss August or anything wrong.
Speaker 2: Ethel, Ethel, Yeah, yeah, yeah, all right, we'll take a break. Mike Tannenbaum has been a g with two different teams in the NFL. He works for the Mothership. He'll join us coming up, and all ask him about Aaron Rodgers if he is holding the Steelers hostage. Now, what happened is a former Buffalo Bill GM Doug Whaley was on a radio show in Pittsburgh. I'll play that for you, and that's how this came up about Aaron is holding the Steelers hostage. We'll have that for you coming up right after this Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 15: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and popcll stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says.
Speaker 3: Something, right, So check us out.
Speaker 15: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: All eyes will be on Scottie Scheffler as he swings for a third consecutive Players Championship, something no other tour golfers ever accomplish.
Speaker 3: The Players Championship.
Speaker 2: On Peacock and NBC, we'll talk to Mike Tannenbaum, former NFL general manager.
Speaker 3: He'll join us coming up.
Speaker 2: The corn beef has arrived in the man cave, and of course the first thing Fritzie says is are there any sides? Do we have potatoes? Do we have carriage? Do we have dessert? Soda bread?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 14: It's nice, yes, because when you had earlier, when you said, who has it better than read drift to say today we're having corn beef. But I was waiting for the list. There's usually like a list, and it was just you kind of stopped at corn beef. So I'm like, okay, corn beef and corn beer.
Speaker 3: Is that not good enough for you?
Speaker 4: That's fantastic. The soda bread, I wasn't aware after that counts?
Speaker 3: Yes, JD in Utah, Hi, JD? What's on your mind today?
Speaker 15: My mom?
Speaker 10: Let's switch it to my.
Speaker 6: Can you hear me? JD? Can you hear me?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Can you hear me?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 10: That's awesome?
Speaker 2: Did I interrupt anything? I'll just work well, Okay, let's guess where JD works. Todd some kind of factory.
Speaker 14: He said something like, can we switch it to I don't know if he's doing something with electronics.
Speaker 3: Okay, Satan, where's JD work in Utah in Utah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think an office building.
Speaker 3: He does it, Okay, Marvin.
Speaker 6: Sells Insurance, Paul Mechanic.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say nursery. Nobody quite nailed that.
Speaker 12: I'm a carpenter.
Speaker 9: Okay, nailed it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw right through that.
Speaker 3: That's why you're the ruler. Would you like to be me.
Speaker 13: Right now?
Speaker 4: This is wild?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I see what you're getting Sacramento every morning. That's what you're going to be getting.
Speaker 4: But great, j D.
Speaker 3: What can I do for you? So we've got a baby girl coming in July.
Speaker 2: Okay, congratulations, congratulations.
Speaker 3: Okay, So we've got a baby girl coming in July.
Speaker 10: We are thinking.
Speaker 8: About naming her Miller.
Speaker 3: And you've given advice to people in the past that you should give a gift, and I was just kind of wondering what type of gifts.
Speaker 8: And like when do you give it?
Speaker 10: Like do you give it right after.
Speaker 3: It's all to your to your wife? Yes? Okay, yes, Todd, I'd say a six pack of beer.
Speaker 4: If you're calling the kid Miller, what else would you do it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, hopefully she's light. I'm killing it today. I am dominating today. I am dominating. Hopefully she has a good head on her shoulders killing it killing all right. Uh so, when do you give a gift to your wife? I would say give it to her when she comes home, because she might be if she has an epidural, she might not be like all there, you.
Speaker 3: Know, going through childbirth.
Speaker 2: I can only imagine, having been there four times and I nearly passed out one time, I'd say, wait until you get home. I don't know what the gift's going to be. I don't know how you know heavy you want to go in? Did you guys do like a month's salary? Is that still what you do for engagement rings?
Speaker 3: Is it is a.
Speaker 2: Two times or three times a monthly salary or something silly like that, pauling.
Speaker 5: Mine was my life savings at the time. I was down to one hundred and fifty bucks after the bye.
Speaker 3: M Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: I never got caught up in the cost of it. I just found the ring that I wanted to give my wife. I thought that that and she was fine with that. Yes, seton, I got a family ring. Oh yeah, her family ring.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 16: Yeah, Oh yeah, It's like I'd love to give you your mom's ring or your grandmother's ring. He's like, hey, if we're doing this, this is my ring, right, I'm like heck, yeah, yeah, sweet yes ton.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 4: We looked out like that too.
Speaker 14: This was like some kind of family heirloom that gets passed down, so we didn't have to spend all kinds of money.
Speaker 2: Doug Whaley, former GM with the Buffalo Bills, was on ninety three point seven The Fan in Pittsburgh and had this to say about Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 17: If I'm Omark Kahn and I'm the Pittsburgh Steelers, one you shouldn't be surprised, and two you have to sit down and really think about do we want to sign up for this? Because he's set in the table in the president early it's all about Aaron Rodgers and it has nothing to do with the Pittsburgh Steelers. He's going to hold the whole franchise hostage on waiting for him to make a decision. But that's par for the course when you deal with a guy like Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 3: So you have to make sure you really.
Speaker 17: Want this not only in your locker room, but to be the face of your franchise. It's not going to be the Pittsburgh Steelers anymore. It's going to be Aaron Rodgers Pittsburgh Steelers, all right.
Speaker 2: Doug Whaley, former Bills general manager on ninety three seven the Fan in Pittsburgh, we bring in Mike Tannenbond, former general manager in the NFL. Let's follow up with that, Mike, how is Aaron Rodgers supposedly holding the Steelers hostage?
Speaker 18: Well, if you're the Steelers, you just traded for DK Metcalf, Dan, you give him thirty million dollars a year and a second round pick, and your plan is not to throw the ball from Mason Rudolph to George Pickens and Dk Metcalf. I'm sure they're sitting there thinking like it's not ideal. But if we go with Russell Wilson, we'll go with Russell Wilson. But Aaron Rodgers gives us a chance to get to where we want to go. Last year, Dan, they averaged fourteen points per game over their last five games.
Speaker 2: Okay, but how does Minnesota factor into all of this? And is it Minnesota who's holding the Steelers hostage?
Speaker 8: I think that's right, and that's a I don't think. To me.
Speaker 18: First of all, you and I have been around this for a long time. Can you ever remember a team losing three quarterbacks in the period of ten days? Nick Mullins, Daniel Jones, and Sam Darnold. Kevin O'Connell must be, you know, the modern day quarterback whisper. It's really remarkable. I think it's different though, in terms of bringing in Aaron Rodgers. If you and I were running the Vikings, it all would be about what's the best situation for JJ McCarthy and I don't understand how Aaron Rodgers fits that bill.
Speaker 2: But if you're the Steelers, why don't you just say to Aaron Rodgers, we need a decision by today, like we have to move on here. We want you, but I need to know how much you want us. And maybe he's telling the Steelers I don't. I may want you, but I really want that Minnesota situation better than this or you know, it's a better opportunity, a higher ceiling there.
Speaker 18: Dan, look like you don't have to be hypothetical. That's what's happening right now, because why else would Aaron Rodgers be waiting And I agree with your hundred percent and take you into Omar con GM. The Steelers look Aaron we are signing Russell Wilson today. Like you don't have to worry about reading about it, hearing about from your agent. I am giving you the answers to the test. If you do not sign by close of business today, you will be reading that Russell Wilson is a Steeler and you're either going to be backing up JJ McCarthy or you're going to be in met life. And let me ask you a question, Aaron, what was the last time there was a Giant quarterback since Eli Manning? That went to the Giants and it worked out well. So the decision is happening today. We love you, we want you, but we have to run our team in our best interests, and we're giving you all the information.
Speaker 2: Mike Tannebaum you can see him on Get Up, a variety of programs, NFL Live and Sports Center.
Speaker 3: What are the Cleveland Browns doing?
Speaker 18: I think for them it's a little bit different. I think that's a little bit more about stability. Look, Jamis Winston, you know was, look, let's be gracious here, inconsistent last year. I think for them they need optionality. If we were speaking three weeks ago, I think talking to people around the league I think Tennessee was going to consider moving on from cam Ward.
Speaker 8: That's not going to happen.
Speaker 18: You know, they went out and they signed Dan Moore, they moved JC Latham to the right side, they signed Zeitler. Everything they're doing says they're taking cam Ward. So for the Browns, Russell Wilson at least gives us a step up from a consistency standpoint over to Jamis Winston. It's a consequential year for Andrew Berry and Kevin Stefanski, so like to be they're just looking for stability, and that's what Russell Wilson brings.
Speaker 2: Okay, But would you rather have Kirk Cousins or Russell Wilson If you're the Browns.
Speaker 18: One hundred percent, it's Kirk Cousins. If we go back to Minnesota where Kirk Cousins had a ton of success for a lot of those years, Kevin Stefanski was the offensive coordinator right now, you know, the Atlanta Falcons have told Kirk Cousins and his agent repeatedly, you're not going anywhere on Sunday. He has a ten million dollars Robster moons that becomes guaranteed. It's next year. But it becomes fully guaranteed. I'm just telling you, like Dan bringing it inside a franchise, if a player doesn't want to be there, like you don't want him there, like everything is about Michael Pennix in Atlanta. And if Kirk Cousins is saying that I don't want to be there and I'm not going to be in the off season program, I'm going to show up late, be the first one to leave. Like, go out and get a Drew Locke or Jacoby Brissett as a backup and cut your losses. You know, we've seen great franchises like the Rams pay you know, Jared aff over one hundred million dollars to move on. We've seen the Eagles pay Jared went excuse me, Carson Wentz over one hundred million dollars to move on. And I think you show me a franchise with good mental toughness, I'll show you a good franchise.
Speaker 8: And that's what Atlanta needs to do with Kirk Cousins.
Speaker 2: Which situation do you like better quarterbacking wise, the Raiders with Gino or the Seahawks with Sam Darnold.
Speaker 18: Yeah, I'm very intreated by Sattle and Sam Donald. I think first of all, that was masterclass GMing to get seven years younger, less expensive at a third round pick. Do I think Gino Smith arguably may be a little bit better than Sam Donald. Possibly, but I think Smith and Jigba if he was on the East Coast, we'd be talking about an emerging stock at receiver. Clearly they're going to have to add another piece or two. Their offensive line has to get a little bit better. But I the fact that Clint Kobe af their new offensive coordinator, no Sam Darn from their San Francisco days, I think is meaningful.
Speaker 2: We had Steve Young on yesterday and he said that there's some organizations that are stuck in the stone age. I'm going to paraphrase that unless you're part of the Sean McVay tree, Kyle Shanahan Tree, Andy Reid Tree, then you're in the stone age. Is when it comes to offense. Those guys understand what the what is the future in the NFL, and certainly at the quarterbacking position.
Speaker 3: Your thoughts on that, I think, you.
Speaker 8: Know that is somewhat true.
Speaker 18: You know, it's interesting going through this jet Head coaching search, we talked to a lot of people learned a lot, and some of the feedback we got from the defensive coaches was fascinating. And the trend in the league is, you know, looking at shift's motion, all the prestat movement, it does put you know, logic as you would think, it puts pressure on the opposing team's defense, like when the picture is static, which some classic quarterbacks like Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers, they want the picture to be static. They want to collect information. But the more you talk to defensive coaches around the league, all those things that teams do it, it just puts pressure. Like Dan, you're a former athlete, like when you have to think you're not playing as fast as when you're just reacting. So I think there is something to it now to shift in motion, just to shift in motion, you know, like that doesn't really accomplish things. But I generally agree with Steve. I think the other thing too, is it's not a one size fits all approach. If you have a backup player in who's making one twentieth of a starter, which happens a lot in our system because of the salary cap, you have to plan accordingly. If your backup tackles in, you have to chip. You have to slide protections. You can't put the backup left tackle on the island that you can know Trent Williams or fill in whatever blank. And I think some poor dators understand that concept better than others.
Speaker 3: I'll leave you with this.
Speaker 2: If you ran the Titans, if you were the GM, what are you doing at the top of the draft?
Speaker 18: Cam Ward, cam Ward and cam Ward. I think the most impressive part about the combine, Dan, was what the Miami University of Miami offensive linement and teammates said about cam Ward. I'm a big believer in life is who you really are, is how you treat people that can't help you. Cam Ward was a selfless leader. He has what it takes. I think his intangibles are off the charts and they shouldn't answer the phone if someone calls him.
Speaker 3: Great to talk to you. Have a good weekend. Thank you, Mike.
Speaker 8: All right, Thanks Dan.
Speaker 2: Mike Tannenbaum, former general manager with two teams in the NFL and pretty high praise there with cam Ward going number one overall. Just saw this that Diana Rossini of the Scoop City podcast and the Athletics nobody with the Steelers believes Aaron Rodgers camp that the quarterback has chosen them or going to choose them. ESPN's Kevin Seaffert reported Wednesday the Vikings have quote at least been entertaining the possibility internally of signing Rogers. Ian Rappaport of NFL Network said the Giants have essentially told Rogers that they want him to be their starting quarterback. Jerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette noted the Steelers have extended and offered to Rogers and they're just waiting for him. The Giants, according to Diana Rossini, are believed to have made the largest contract offer to Rogers. I don't know what any of this means, because we're talking about Aaron Rodgers. We'll take a break, last call for phone calls, what we learn, what's in store for Monday, The Stay and sports History.
Speaker 1: Right after this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern, six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: WAP made it to a Friday, and this is how we close up Sean.
Speaker 7: Ever since I was a tiny bit, I don't want no condon adun a dust.
Speaker 2: Our good buddy Lou brought some corn beef. We got some soda bread. We also have carrots there, some cabbage, and I'm looking forward to a beer coming up here in about fourteen minutes from now.
Speaker 3: But who's counting final results of the poll question, Seaton, what do you have for me?
Speaker 9: Oh boy, let's see right now we've got up there. The Patrick Mahomes backup job is a fantastic gig or I don't want that gig. Okay, seventy five percent have it. That's fantastic, Okay, all right, Like.
Speaker 2: If you don't want to play football, but you still get to wear a uniform and get paid, well.
Speaker 9: Not only do you not want to play football, you like you hope you don't won't play football.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't ever want to go.
Speaker 2: In because you know why you're going in unless it's a blowout. But you know, these Chiefs don't blow These Chiefs teams don't blow anybody out. You're always in. How many one score games did they play in last year? I mean it was in double digits. It's probably thirteen or fourteen one score games, which is crazy to think that you know how many games they won and you go to the Super Bowl that way, all right? This day in sports history, Paul, what do you have for me?
Speaker 5: Nineteen sixty two, Wilt Chamberlain of the Warriors Philadelphia Warriors played every minute of every game for forty consecutive forty seven consecutive games. The streak ended with the Warriors next game he came out AFL. NFL had their first common draft in nineteen sixty seven. The first player chosen was anybody sixty seven Draft Bubba Smith, defensive lineman, Michigan State, Michigan State. The Cincinnati Royals of the NBA announced they'd moved to Kansas City.
Speaker 3: It was a bad day for me, yeap bad day.
Speaker 5: Blank of the Atlanta Hawks scored the six millionth point. Tough to say in NBA history. Here's a hint. Very popular college player, good pro player, early nineties. Guess marm Stacy augmen Stacy augment is correct.
Speaker 7: I gotta win some money doing this, man, I make money doing this, but I gotta really win some money.
Speaker 2: You would have been good on Sports Jeopardy if we were still doing that show reboot. No No, I love doing it. I thought it was great. I just I couldn't get them. I wanted to have that. I wanted to reboot sports Jeopardy, but I was trying to get them to move it to Connecticut, to Stanford, Connecticut, and there are a lot of TV shows like Jerry Springer and Maury Povich. They're in Stanford, Connecticut. And I thought, but Jeopardy wouldn't not let the product off the Sony Lot. They guard the clues with their life, and I said, you can still have the clues and make sure nobody you know reads them or I don't know. They would not allow it to go off campus and the Sony Lot. But I thought that was so much fun to do it. And then you realize I know a lot of sports. There are some people who know a whole lot more than I do. But also the ability to be able to you know, you're seeing the category, seeing the clues, and then I you know, I'm reading the question to you, and then you have to time it correctly. You're on TV. It's not like when you're sitting at home and you're doing Jeopardy and you're yelling at man, I'm killing it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, be on the show.
Speaker 2: Lights on, You get dressed up and all of a sudden you're trying to buzz in and then let me know how you do big weekend college basketball. What is the lead story on Monday? Lead story Monday, Todd, in your opinion, will be.
Speaker 14: Concerned about Cooper Flagg's injury and the tournament that's starting.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, Seaton, what's the lead story of this show on Monday?
Speaker 9: Oh man, it might be. It's probably gonna be something football related.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 9: Maybe Aaron Rodgers still not signing.
Speaker 6: Okay, Marvin Russell Wilson signing with the Giants.
Speaker 5: Okay, Paul trying to go non football teams like North Carolina not making the postseason and the heat on those coaches.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say, Duke not winning the ACC tournament.
Speaker 3: Maybe that will be the lead.
Speaker 2: I mean, it could be Aaron Rodgers either he has sign or he hasn't signed, or if the Lakers lose a couple more games, I could see that Lebron's timeframe for coming back, you know, because we're starting to get to crunch time here now with the number of games left.
Speaker 3: Yes, Marvin, I'm sorry.
Speaker 7: Let me retract teams being snubbed out at NCAA tournament even though there's sixty eight of them, and they were like, oh, we were eighteen and thirteen. You had plenty of opportunities. You have a better record.
Speaker 3: I find it, I don't want to say offensive.
Speaker 2: I find it embarrassing that they want to extend the tournament to seventy six schools.
Speaker 3: Stop.
Speaker 2: We went from sixty four to sixty eight, and I don't know if anybody voted on it.
Speaker 3: It felt like it was like a I don't know anybody gonna notice this. I'm going sixty four to sixty eight. Hey, we got sixty eight. What happened there?
Speaker 2: I don't know. It wasn't on my watch. I don't eat seventy six. Like, have some exclusivity? Have it mean something to make the tournament?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: If you don't, I always say this, if you don't make the tournament, your job should be in jeopardy.
Speaker 5: Yes, point, I'm totally against expanding. The tournament is such a perfect product. I'll bet you within two months the announce the expansion.
Speaker 3: Well, okay.
Speaker 2: We talked to the head of the NCAA, Charlie Baker a while ago, and it felt like he was telling us without telling us, they were going to go.
Speaker 3: To seventy six.
Speaker 2: It's one of those where you kind of floated out and then you see how people react. And I don't know if there was that much aversion to it. Bob and Montana. Hi, Bob, welcome back.
Speaker 10: Oh hey, DP, while you're talking about cool names, my younger daughter's name is Gwenevere. Just in time for Saint Patrick's Day. But the real reason I'm calling is if you keep your original retirement date of Christmas Eve twenty twenty seven, then this March thirtieth, in just two weeks, is going to be day number one thousand End County until the final show. So I thought you're newlogist Fritzie could jump in accident and plan something for that day, or maybe you could do a special meat Monday or meet Friday before the day.
Speaker 2: Okay, I like that numerology stuff, thank you, Bob. But what if I extended to after the super Bowl? Then I kind of ruins the thousand Elson show mark, which is it's at least.
Speaker 3: On the discussion table.
Speaker 2: It's at least on the discussion table that and I haven't spoken to management about this of what if we go through the super Bowl. I haven't done that, but full transparency with you guys, just letting you know plan accordingly.
Speaker 9: Yeh see, you'd be happier if they said yes or no.
Speaker 3: I don't know that.
Speaker 10: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know because if they say no, we're not going to do that.
Speaker 3: Okay, what I know?
Speaker 2: Then I get I get credit for saying, man, I tried at management. They stood in my way. Todd, would you learn today.
Speaker 14: You believe the Minnesota Bikon's are holding the Steelers hostess, not Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 9: No, see make up your mind Steelers Marvin Carson Wentz is a free agent.
Speaker 5: Pull four thousand and threes.
Speaker 3: Todd witted I learn.
Speaker 14: Mike tan Me says the Steals should tell Aaron Rodgers were signing Russell Wilson today.
Speaker 4: If you're not ready to join us.
Speaker 2: Tire rack dot com the official tire Expert or the DP Show, go to tyrack dot com. They have the easy to use tire decision Guide, full lineup of Yokohama tires, special offers, free road hazard protection, mobile tire installation. Tire rack dot com the way tire buying should be. We'll talk to you on Monday. Have a great weekend, everybody. Thanks for joining us