Speaker 1: Welcome to a very special episode of Good Game with Sarah Spain. Proudly sponsored by Nissan, The all new Nissan Armada is the most powerful suv Nissan has ever made. Rugged and gritty, but also luxurious. It's a premium vehicle made for adventurers who are ready to conquer whatever's in front of them, just like the coaches and athletes that battle it out each year in the NCAA Women's Basketball Tournament. Two of those coaches, all time greats of the game, will join me today. It's Thursday, April third, and on today's show, we'll be talking to former Stanford coach Tara Vanderveer and former Notre Dame coach Muffett McGraw, two of the winningest coaches in college basketball history. Over the last decade. They got to know each other pretty well in March, with their teams meeting four times in the NCAA Tournament, all in the span of five years. Notre Dame one two of those matchups, in twenty fifteen and twenty nineteen, while Stanford won in twenty sixteen and twenty seventeen. We'll find out what they remember about their four face offs in the NCAA tournament brainstorm, how to get more women into coaching, and talk about the pros and cons of the changing women's game from increased investment to nil and.
Speaker 2: The transfer portal.
Speaker 1: I caught up with them earlier this week ahead of the Final four this weekend in Tampa, Plus a portal shakeup, more proof that knees should be banned, and Team Good Game looks to take a w from anel. It's all coming up right after this welcome back slices. Here's what you need to know today. Let's start with some news that's shaking up both the college and pro hoops landscapes. Notre Dame's Olivia Miles, who was widely expected to be the number two pick in this year's WNBA draft, is instead holding off on turning pro and entering the transfer portal. ESPN's sham Sharani was the first to report the news on Monday. Miles has one year of college eligibility remaining, as she sat out all of last year with a knee injury. After Notre Dames lost to TCU in the Sweet sixteen, Miles hinted that she had a lot on her mind.
Speaker 2: Quote, I love college.
Speaker 1: I think I've outgrown it a little bit, though, so that makes my decision tough for to stay. It's comfortable a place where you have security. The W the volatility is up and down.
Speaker 2: So I don't know. I'm deciding between a bunch of factors. End quote.
Speaker 1: So let me briefly add some context here that I think matters. One, the Irish stumbled down the stretch and then they got bounced in the sweet sixteen, so Miles probably has a bad taste in her mouth about their finish. Two, she wasn't healthy down the stretch, so her numbers suffered and she couldn't be herself out there. Her March stats were frankly not good. So maybe she wants to pull a Haley van Lit, find somewhere she can thrive and go out feeling better both in terms of personal and team success. And or she's looking at the CBA negotiations going on in the W. Now this is important because she knows if she enters next year's draft, her rookie deal will be under a new CBA that's expected to pay players way more, and that's a three year deal for rookies with a fourth year option, so it would be at a much higher rookie salary than the one players coming out this year are going to make. Now the transfer part of this is more surprising to me than the sticking around. But maybe there's more to the story about why Notre Dame faltered late in the season, or maybe more to know about miles relationship with the coaching staff or teammates or the school we might find out. Important to note as well, just because she's in the transfer portal, that doesn't mean she can't return to the Irish. Miles does retain the right to stick around if she doesn't like her options. More college hoops. The twenty twenty four to twenty five Naysmith Award ceremony on Wednesday was a West Side party, with USC star ju Ju Watkins taking home National Player of the Year honors, UCLA center Lauren Betts winning Defensive Player of the Year, and UCLA coach Corey Close.
Speaker 2: Earning Coach of the Year honors.
Speaker 1: The five finalists for the Wooden Award, given annually to the most outstanding college basketball player in the country, were also announced on Wednesday. There are some familiar names, USC's ju Ju Watkins, UCLA's Lauren Betts, plus Yukon's page. Beckers Texas is Madison Booker and Notre Dames Hanna Hidalgo. The award will be handed out on April eleventh. Becker's previously won in twenty twenty one, becoming the first freshman to receive the honor to the NWSL. Gotham FC announced on Wednesday that Tyrna Davidson sustained an ACL tear in her left knee in last Friday's game against the Houston Dash. She's been placed on the season ending injury list. It's devastating news to hear, especially since Davidson previously tore her right ACL in twenty twenty two, an injury that sidelined her for a year and kept her out of contention for the twenty twenty three World Cup. Tyrna posted on social in part quote in matching scars out my left ACL and quote the beauty of life is its unpredictable nature. While I've found myself on the adverse side of this unpredictability, at the moment, I know this experience will be another colorful chapter of my journey. I have no doubt this year will bring me unexpected joys despite this setback, end quote typical Tyrna handling things with grace, intelligence and perspective.
Speaker 2: We're sending you our best and hoping for a smooth recovery. Tea.
Speaker 1: More injury news, this one in women's basketball. The New York Liberty announced that guard Benijel Lany Hamilton had surgery in March to repair an acute meniscus injury in her left knee. Landey Hamilton played two games in Unrivaled before sustaining the injury for the Liberty. She's expected to be out for five to six months, which will keep her out of most, if not all, of the twenty twenty five WNBA season.
Speaker 2: This is a real.
Speaker 1: Bummer for Benijo, who missed six weeks last season to a knee injury and also missed time in twenty sixteen when she tore her ACL playing for the Chicago Sky. Obviously, anytime you play basketball, you're at risk for injury, and Unrivaled is no different. Something players certainly have to think about when they sign on to playoff season ball.
Speaker 2: More hoops news.
Speaker 1: Longtime coach now Fortner announced on Monday that she's retiring, effective immediately. Fortner spent the last six years as head coach of Georgia Tech, following stops at Purdue and Auburn. Fortner also previously served as the Indiana Fevers head coach from two thousand and one till two thousand and three. She also led Team USA to a gold medal at the two thousand Sydney Olympics. In a statement, Fortner said it wasn't an easy decision to step away. Quote Georgia Tech is a gold mine as an institution and an athletics department, and is well position to compete for acc and national championships in women's basketball. That makes it very hard to step away. But for me, after spending much of the last thirty plus years on the sideline, I just feel.
Speaker 2: That it's time end.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 1: Finally, we're sending congratulations to Alex Morgan and her husband Servando Carrasco on the birth of their baby boy, Enzo. Morgan announced her pregnancy and retirement from professional soccer last September and played her final game days later. Too early to get that kid in some cleats, speaking of actually has their daughter Charlie been signed by an NWSL club yet?
Speaker 2: We're going to take a quick break when we come back.
Speaker 1: Hall of famers, Tara Vanderveer and Muffett McGraw. Welcome back to this very special episode of Good Game with Sarah Spain, presented by Nissan and the all new Nissan Armada and SCUV.
Speaker 2: That's luxurious and tough.
Speaker 1: Speaking a tough, Let's get to my conversation with two of the toughest coaches in women's college basketball history, Muffett McGraw and Tara Vanderveer.
Speaker 2: Joining us now.
Speaker 1: She was the head women's basketball coach at Stanford from nineteen eighty five until her retirement in twenty twenty four. A three time Naysmith Coach of the Year and eighteen time Pack twelve Coach of the Year, she led the Cardinal to fourteen final fours and three NCAA Championship wins in ninety, ninety two and twenty twenty one. She's one of only nine NCAA women's basketball coaches to win over nine hundred games, one of ten NCAA Division One coaches women or men to win a thousand games. Her twelve hundred and sixteen wins make her the second winning as head coach and men's or women's college basketball history, behind only Gino Oriama, Who's snuck by this year. She coached Team USA to a gold medal at the ninety six Olympics and was inducted into the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame in O two and the Naysmith Basketball Hall of Fame in twenty eleven. The court at Stanford's Maples Pavilion was named in her honor.
Speaker 2: It's Tara Vanderveer.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us, Tara, my pleasure, Shara joining us again. She's a basketball analyst for ESPN and the ACC Network and was the head women's basketball coach at Notre Dame from nineteen eighty seven until her retirement in twenty twenty. A three time Naysmith Coach of the Year, she led her team to nine Final four, seven championship game appearances and two national Championship wins in twenty one and twenty eighteen. She was inducted into the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame in twenty eleven and the Naysmith Basketball Hall of Fame in twenty seventeen. She's the first female coach at Notre Dame to have a statue in her honor.
Speaker 2: It's Muffett McGraw. Welcome back, Muffett thiks.
Speaker 4: Sarah, those numbers kind of pale in comparison to one Tara Vanderverer.
Speaker 1: They are both far too long for me to say the full bio. I had to do a lot of editing to just get to the very best up. I am so excited to have you both here. I am so excited to talk about your memories from your tournament battles, how we can get more women into college coaching, and so much more. But I want to start with those meetings in March, because I think it's so rare and unique to have two Hall of Fame incredible coaches on to share what their perspective was during those meetings, And I want to start with the first one. Twenty fourteen, twenty fifteen season Sweet sixteen matchup. Muffett, your Notre Dame team was thirty six and three overall, fifteen and one in the ACC, won the ACC Tournament, Jewel Lloyd, Brionna Turner, Lindsay Allen, Tara your Stanford team twenty six and ten overall thirteen and five, and PAC twelve play winners of the PAC twelve Tournament, Amber Orange, Lily Thompson, Bonnie Samuelson, Kaylee Johnson leading the way on that roster. Notre Dame is a number one seed. They win over number four Stanford eighty one to sixty. Muffett, what do you remember about that game plan?
Speaker 4: You know, I love playing against Tar because she is just such a terrific strategist in the game. And I don't remember exactly what our game plan was. When you have players like Jewel Lloyd, you expected they're going to just step up and play really well. I know she's really far to guard, but Lindsay Allen came out was a fantastic game that night also, so Lindsay and Jewel. You know, Tar, you gotta win with guards in the NCAA tournament, and I had some pretty good guards that year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jewelloyd seventeen of her twenty one points in the second half of that game. Do you remember being on the sideline and trying different things to stop her or figuring out how you could try to make somebody else beat you down the stretch?
Speaker 3: I can. I can picture some of the misery of that game. But they were just that good. They were They were just that good. And you know, Joe Lloyd, it wouldn't matter who you were putting honor, and you know, our team was you know, I think that our team was still a young team at that point and we were It's kind of weird that we were in Notre Dame's bracket like so many times, yeah, in the beginning of my career, but way at the end and uh they again, Muffett does a great job with their team. They had really talented team, and you know, there there was just no beating him that year.
Speaker 2: Muffett.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Tara being a great strategist. When you're entering a game against a coach that you've had a good look at, they've been at it for a while, even if you haven't faced each other in the tournament before, do you try to get ahead of what you think they're gonna do. Usually this is what Tara does here, or usually this is how they counteract here. Does it make it any easier to have some proof of concept from a coach?
Speaker 4: You know, I think coaches like Tara they change things frequently. I think there's some coaches out there like, we're a Manda man team and we're only gonna do this and this is what we do on offense. I think with Tara is like I want to win, and here's how best to guard the seams, so you get a good look at how you should be guarded. And I wish we've played earlier in the years so I could learn, you know, throughout the year, like I got to fix all these things instead of waiting for the NCAA tournament. But just you never really knew exactly what to expect. But you just knew that they were gonna be a great rebounding team, they were going to be a great defensive team. And we've run a lot of the same stuff on offense, you know, variations of the Princeton offense, so a lot of similarities.
Speaker 2: Tara, you mentioned you had a young team that year.
Speaker 1: If you think just looking at the talent matchup that your squad doesn't probably match up as well, do you try to get more creative, maybe a little gimmicky and some things to see if you can change the odds.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't think the NCAA tournament's are time to try to new things. You got to kind of go what's been working for for you. You're not gonna You're not gonna do gimmicky things. You're gonna do what's work, what works for you, And I would say what we would try to do is I will say play scouting, report defense, So we will you know, look at the numbers. You can watch energy, you know, and you have to kind of pick your poison. You you know, you have to know kind of who to guard and who to guard, how you have to double, you know, depending upon their inside game. And but when you have the combination of great players and great coaching, you're you're up a crick without a paddle. That was that, That was what was in that situation.
Speaker 1: So you meet in the very next season in the sweet sixteen again, twenty fifteen sixteen muff. At this time your team's thirty three and two overall sixteen and ozer one ACC Play winners of the ACC Tournament. This roster Breonna Turner, Lindsay Allen, Madison Cable, and you add some youngsters.
Speaker 2: In Ari Gay Gumbawalle and Marina maybriy Tar.
Speaker 1: Your Stanford team twenty seven and eight, fourteen and four and PAC twelve play. You finished it at tie for third, but you got an at large bid to the tournament. You're led again by Lilly Bonnie and Kayley, but also so Erica McCall. You as a number four seed, upset number one Notre Dame ninety to eighty four and lexingting. That ends a twenty six game winning streak for the Irish Tara.
Speaker 2: What do you remember about that day?
Speaker 3: I probably should have done my homework, and I know we're gonna go back through all the game. You know, again, sometimes you just you have a good game and different people step up. And when you're a number four, and maybe you played a team the last year, I don't remember anything specific about that game.
Speaker 1: But let me jog your memory because I can almost guess that Muffett might remember these two numbers. Your team shot fifty five point nine percent overall and fifty five percent from three. You mentioned sometimes you just have a good game. That's a pretty good game, Uh, Muffett, What do you remember about trying to stop them when they're shooting that?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: You know, I think we had the lead for a lot of the time during that game, and we just could not defensively figure out a way to guardment where we were a zone team back then, we of course had to go Amanda man I had a couple of really weak defenders of him, specifically, I don't want to mention any names we show. We're getting out on this get out of the three point shooters, and you know, it came right down to the wire. I think we had a shot to win it right at the end. Yeah, the suck up.
Speaker 1: Blocked well to your point, you actually were down by as many as fifteen points, but then you got it to a three point game with two minutes left, and you really had an opportunity to undo what had been a tough game for your team for most of it. But then, man, just Erica McCall twenty seven points, tart. What's it like to watch someone have their career high in a game.
Speaker 2: That's that important?
Speaker 3: You know, what's what's really fun and for someone like Erica McCall is for her to have a great game because she is just a great person. When you have a player on your team that is so special as a person, as a teammate, you you know, it's doubly rewarding as a coach when you see them perform, especially at a big stage. There could be no one that is happier or you know, a better teammate than Erica. So I was just really thrilled for her, and she struggled like making the adjustment to college basketball and kind of find her way. And you know, obviously she had a good game that particular game.
Speaker 1: She said that the team was calling themselves party crashers beforehand because they knew what a great team Notre Dame had Muffett. You'd won twenty seven straight games that had been decided in single digits or overtime, hadn't lost a single digit margin since twenty twelve.
Speaker 2: That's pretty wild. That's a long stretch to go of being clutch.
Speaker 4: You know, I wonder why I accepted the invitation to join this little podcast right now. Oh my gosh, like bringing up those memories, like I clearly remember the end of that game, and you know, it's interesting about the end of that game. We went to a rique Ogu Muwalian. She was young, she was a young player, and she was the one I had confidence in to take that last shot. And you know, we ran and played it. We'd run quite a few times, and Erica McCall just made a great plight block in the shot. But it was it was it was a shame that we had to play them back to back and then again, you know, a couple of years later.
Speaker 1: Well, I hate to move on to the next year and rub it in some more, but this is really good.
Speaker 2: It's good to talk to very.
Speaker 1: Successful people about times when things didn't work out. We're so used to talking about the wins, but you can't win every time. The next year, twenty sixteen, twenty seventeen, you meet again, this time in the Elite eight.
Speaker 2: Buffett thirty three and four, fifteen and.
Speaker 1: One in the ACC won the regular season and the ACC tournament for the four straight year. You got a Rique Marina, Brianna Lindsay and a freshman Jackie Young. Tara's Stanford team thirty two and six, fifteen and three in the PAC twelve won the PAC twelve tournament. You got McCall, Samuelson, Brittany McPhee on that roster. Youngsters Alana Smith and dj A Carrington joined the party for that one. Number two Stanford wins a nail bier seventy six, seventy five. This was number one seed, Notre Dame's first loss, and that lead eight with you at the hell Muffet.
Speaker 2: This was a tough one. What stands out to you about that one? That one's real type.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've obviously put that one right out of my mind. We you know, I think we were nine and one in games to go to the fun of four and yeah, I really I've forgotten about that one. I've I've tried to forget about it, and I think I was successful in doing so successful.
Speaker 1: Tara might remember that they were down by sixteen points. They had an absolutely disastrous second where you did switch from zone to man and they were really having trouble scoring. But then the Cardinal outscored you twenty four to twelve in the third, which set it up to be a real game. Brittany McFee had nine in the fourth, twenty seven overall. What do you remember about Brittany McFee in that one, Tara?
Speaker 3: You know what I remember is Erique being a tremendous talent and no garter. And you know, I think that when you have when you're in the locker room at halftime and you're getting beat like a drum, you know, when someone says i'll garter, you know you're just like, okay, that you respect someone that will give it a try. And again, I think that it was really unfortunate that you have teams that have the equal ability to go to the final four, and we again end up in the same bracket, and that game was the one that you know, we were down, we got some momentum, we started hitting some shots people. You know, I just we we ran some a couple of plays here and there. There's some turnovers and we did we got the momentum at the end, and we're really fortunate to win the game.
Speaker 2: You mentioned halftime.
Speaker 1: Did you sort of throughout your career have a general approach to how to rally a team when you're down big at the half or was it really dependent on which players were in the room and what they better responded to.
Speaker 3: Well, this particular halftime was we were we were stuck in the mud. We were we looked awful. I was going down the hall to the halftime and Erica McCall went running by and to the coaches are there, and she goes, we got them right where we want them, And I'm thinking, what the hell game is? She and so. But but I think that that's where, you know, your team leadership really makes a big difference. And I think it would agree that when you have great team leaders, you know, they never give up, they work really hard, and you know, I hope that this not reminiscing necessarily about games, but when with Muffett's team, you know, both she and I have coach teams that have won national championships. It's more like, what what are the things that what are the things that you need to win a national championship? And you know, we didn't win that year. Actually we were up against South Carolina when we went on to the final four, we were up against South Carolina and Carlie Samilinson got hurt and that big We're up seven, I think or nine a half time. But you know, when you're that close, like when you have these teams that are this close, little things just have to go right. You have to keep people healthy. You can't have fouls. I mean, you know, you look this year with Juju get hurt. So it's not it's not really what happened in those games so much, but what you know, how do you keep like how does how did Muffett like keep getting your team back to the final four year after year and winning and getting the championship game. It's it's what you're teaching every day. It's the good kids that you have on your team. It's the leadership on your team. And I think those are the things that are much more important than you know what what we remember maybe from those regular games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. I mean clearly it's about the longevity. And we've talked on this show before about how do you as a coach get your players through the understanding that they can do everything right, but it can be a missed call, it can be a ball off your foot that goes to the other team at the end.
Speaker 3: I mean that happened yesterday for LSU right in front of Kim's bench. She was going nuts. It was clearly off the other team. And you know, but that happens.
Speaker 1: It's basketball, right, There's only so much that's in your control. So Muffett, when you're either starting a tournament run with the team or maybe in the midst of the really tough games, how do you communicate to them to just be in charge of what they can be in charge of?
Speaker 4: You know, my thing in the tournament was always we're going to do it exactly the same way we've been doing it all year long. If you weren't on the team bus, you didn't travel with us, you weren't traveling with us in the final four, you weren't eating team meals with us. Our team was doing exactly the same thing. So I wanted them to feel like, we've done this before. This is how we prepared. There's nothing new, no flashy things. No. I never let the media in my locker rooms because I'm not giving a big huddle of time, you know, big cheerleading speech. You know, we're just saying, hey, this is what we need to do, kind of based on facts and knowing your team. You know, I think letting them. I kind of stayed away from them because I was usually a wreck. I mean I'm like, I'm thinking of everything that could go wrong. One thing I did really well was catastrophized the situation. I mean I could find something that was going to go wrong at any moment. So I was like, you guys, go over there. I'm gonna be over here and worrying.
Speaker 2: I'll see.
Speaker 3: I love it. I kind of did this the opposite. I would say, this is an omen something would happen. I see, this is a good omen. So if we had one time we had like our bus broke down, you know, and then the next time I told the bus driver, I said stall the bus, because you know, when the bus broke down and we did so well, so looking for good things that you know are are this this is our year, this is this.
Speaker 1: Is what we can do it or manufacturing them if it's required. I want to get to some bigger picture questions. I think you're right, Tara, it's about approach. But there's one last meeting I just want to touch on. You actually avoided each other for a year. It was a good year for Notre Dame. Muffett and company won it all in twenty seventeen eighteen. We all remember a rique shot that was just one of my favorite favorites of all time.
Speaker 2: But then you meet again the next year.
Speaker 1: You had again in the same region area twenty eighteen nineteen in the Sweet sixteen. This is your final meeting in the tournament, Muffett. Your team's thirty five and four overall, fourteen and two in the ACC. You get an at large bit because you get second in the tourney. You still got Arik Brianna, Marina Jackie and senior Jessica Shepherd steps up.
Speaker 2: Tara.
Speaker 1: You we were thirty one and five, fifteen and three in the Pac twelve. You won the Pac twelve tournament. You got Alana Smith dejon A Keana Williams, Maya Dodson, and you got the freshman Hall sisters Lexi and Lacy who are now on the team. Number one seed Notre Dame gets the win eighty four to sixty eight over number two Stanford.
Speaker 2: Do you remember that one? Muffett?
Speaker 4: That one I remember. I remember because we played in Chicago and we had such a great Notre Dame crowd. It was green everywhere and we had I think it was close to a sellout, if not a sellout. That was an exciting game. I remember because we had some role players come off the bench and make some big shots. When I think we were starting to get a little tight, and I had a player, Abby Prohaska came in. It just made a great driving layup, but it just sort of made everybody relax. So I do remember winning that game in Chicago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Arique again twenty one points, Jackie Young twenty five points, ten rebounds in that one, and then Keanu Williams had a great game for stan Ford twenty points in the los Djona had eighteen. Notre was ten of thirty nine in the first half, but then they went to outscore Stanford twenty six thirteen and the third and then ended up going on a run late. So another game where it's kind of like Tara, your team was in it and then that last late run from the from the Irish ends up being ends up being the difference. How do you strategize down the stretching games of like when do I let my players figure this out?
Speaker 2: When do I call a time out?
Speaker 1: Are you trying to get it at the beginning of when the blood letting starts, or how do you strategize?
Speaker 3: Well, in a game like that, you don't want to let the second half get away from you. But at the same time, I don't know if Muffett did this, but with the ability to advance the ball, you if you can keep it close, you want to have that, you know, a couple of those in your pocket so that you can advance the ball. So if you know but you can't, I'm sure I kind of let you know, took time out, and you know, if you're going to go down, if you're down fifteen or so, you know, no sense in saving them. But you know, if it's within a I think five to six point game, then I'm saving timeouts and hoping that you know, we can keep it close. And with the ability to advance the ball, which I think makes women's basketball so exciting. I don't know why the men are not playing quarters and advancing it, but it really you're always in it, you know, you can. You can get a lot of possessions with in the last thirty seconds, with that ability to take a time out and advance, get a shot, foul, get a shot, you know, advance, get a shot foul again.
Speaker 4: So I think it's a big decision when you call those timeouts. And I think when you're watching games now, you'll see some runs early in the game and you think, man, they could have used the time out, but they're trying to save them. And I think the balance for me was always young team versus veteran team. You know, veteran team's gonna be able to figure it out on their own, but a young team sometimes you just got to use it.
Speaker 2: In the first half, we have to take a quick break.
Speaker 1: More with Tara and Muffett in a minute. Welcome back to this very special episode of Good Game with Sarah Spain, presented by Nissan and the all new Nissan Armada. Now back to my conversation with Muffett McGraw and Tara Vanderveer. You know, I'm curious some longtime college coaches seem to have great relationships and others not so much. So I'm wondering, Muffett, did you intentionally or maybe even subconsciously coach differently against coaches that you didn't like. No, don't pull the starters, beat the brakes of them.
Speaker 4: I was just selling civil the other day. When we beat Connecticut in the semi final in twenty eighteen and went on to win the championship in an exciting game against Mississippi State, I only ever watched the Connecticut game again because I just enjoyed those rivalries with Connecticut and I enjoyed beating them, So when you know, whenever we did beat them, it was it was always a lot more fun. But I don't think I don't think I coached any different. I think, you know, it was it was nice to be the underdog sometimes I'm playing Connecticut. A lot of times we were at the underdog.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tara, how about you?
Speaker 3: You know, I think one of the things that I think I was really fortunate and I would probably think of it would say the same, is that you know, like I grew up, I was at basketball camp with Muffett at Kathy Rush basketball camp way back in the day. So a lot of the coaches that I grew up playing against were actually my friends. And you know, I don't know that a lot of coaches can say that other coaches are their friends now with all that's going on with the portal and the poaching and you know, all that kind of thing, and I think that that's something that's really lacking from the game of basketball, you know, something that was really special that we you know, we would see each other on the road, and you know, I don't feel like I didn't ever dislike any of the coaches, and I never would ever run the score up because that would risk your own players being hurt. And I I don't think it's healthy for our game. You know, if you win by twenty, that's okay. Anything over thirty to me is rubbing it. And I never like a thirty point or more for anyone. You know, when I see these games that are, you know, forty fifty point games, I don't think that's healthy for our sport or for the young people that are playing. We want to encourage people.
Speaker 1: To play, so not to mention that's a real opportunity to put some people in that you never know because of injury or otherwise. Mike need later in the season and need to have been in a game against some top competition and some some other teams.
Speaker 4: Hey, I want to make a side note.
Speaker 2: I liked you know.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it was just fun to beat them.
Speaker 1: I didn't assume it meant you didn't like him, but I understood that there was a rivalry there, and it define to beat the top dog.
Speaker 3: Did you guys have a bet on Philly cheese steaks or something there, you know, Philadelphia?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we should have. I mean, we know how to talk to each other.
Speaker 3: Philly.
Speaker 4: They have their own language, so we never got upset with each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Is Philly the one that always says Yin's Or is that Pittsburgh?
Speaker 2: That's Pittsburgh.
Speaker 4: That's Pittsburgh. Yeah, we're like you guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to hear more about playing together at Camp Muffett.
Speaker 2: What do you remember about that?
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, yeah I remember that was I was still coaching high school and then an assistant at Saint Joe's, so Tar was, Uh, she was a head coach at that time, and I was just thinking Wow. She came a long way to go to this camp and it was a coaching camp. It was a no but we would have staff games. You know, we play after the kids were done and you know, you already worked like a twelve hour day and then you're like, man, let's get the games going. You know this it was just so fun.
Speaker 3: The games were outside on like you know, hardcourt, Like yeah, you know, it was hot and it was hot. I remember like one time it was so hot we had to take kids into the pool so they didn't, you know, have exhaustion. And I mean it was it was fun, but it was work and I was you know, there were times I think before I met Muffett though, I was I was roommates with like Debbie Ryan or Mary and Stanley, and I'm a little bit I'm older than Muffett, but you know, she would she she was a great player when she played. Was your teammate at Saint Joe's. It came to camp too. Do you remember there was there was a you kind of were not you were kind of the same build.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Mary Sue Gerty was one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you guys were teared up in the pickup.
Speaker 2: Games, you know, Oh, that sounds like fun games.
Speaker 3: With Carol blas Showski. I mean there were some I'm telling you, there's some hoopers that were playing in these games. It was fun.
Speaker 1: I can't tell you how much I missed just playing basketball all day, Like it didn't matter if it was outside the asphalt or if you had like an aau and you had four games in the same day in a gym with no ac and your body still worked, and you could do it all day long.
Speaker 2: Like what a dream that was.
Speaker 3: I don't know that. I don't know that young players loved the game in the way that I feel like I love the game. I mean I was crazy about playing all the time. I didn't have I didn't have nil of course, I didn't have a scholarship. I bought my own shoes, you know. I mean it was just but going to the gym and playing pick up or like at camp at camp, at our Stanford camp, we had three courts going and we played to midnight and winners got the middle court, you know, and it was a big deal and you were playing with all the staff people. It was fun. And I don't know that young players, what do you think, MOFE. Do they enjoy playing as much as we did.
Speaker 4: You know, I don't even think they care if they win in AU. I don't think they shouldn't even bother keeping score.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder there's a couple of reasons for that. I wouldn't.
Speaker 1: It's always hard to make generalizations about everybody, But I do think number one, when you insert the nil and the money and the stress and the pressure, it's great in the sense of helping professionalize and offer opportunity, but it's also hard because it does make it about that sometimes, or there is this added pressure of if I don't get this while I get this deal, or that kind of thing. But I also think I wonder about generationally what it meant to be allowed to play sport, to be embodied, to be free out on a court in the seventies.
Speaker 2: And eighties versus now.
Speaker 1: Right, there's an entitlement to it now, fifty plus years after Title nine. Of like, of course playing basketball, But I wonder if when you guys were growing up, it felt more like against the rules or this this is my identity because it's something I care so much about that not all other girls and women do.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: There were definitely stereotypes I mean it was always me and nine guys down at the playground. Yeah, I mean I was always the only girl, and I think that really served me well for the future to break into this men's world of sports. And I think that there was a lot of things said. We were called tomboys, you know, there was like name calling, and it just it just wasn't socially acceptable at the time. So we did. We fought a lot of areas. Title line had just been announced, but it wasn't really put into effect yet. I mean, we were pretty lucky. We had a team. My team is Saint Joe's first team ever because of Title nine and you know tours, right, We bought our own shoes. We didn't have we don't have practice clothes, you know, we drove ourselves to games. There was a lot of things that we had to do for ourselves back then that these kids now, you know, you just want to say, you have no idea, how good you have it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, although sometimes that for whatever reason, that self determination kind of pushes you to care more about something than when it's either handed to you or someone else wants you to do it, which is maybe more the case now with so many people set to benefit from girls that are at great at basketball. You know, Muffett, you mentioned it helped you sort of in this industry. Last time you were on, we played your now pretty infamous speech about the importance of hiring women assistants. You started exclusively having female assistant coaches in twenty twelve, Tara, and you're twenty sorry, thirty nine years at Stanford. You never once had a male assistant coach in your couple stops before Stanford. Even then you hired just one. And I would love to hear what both of you would do first if you were put in charge tomorrow of increasing the number of female coaches in college basketball, Like, what would be your very first move tar that you think would help address that?
Speaker 3: Well? I think that, you know, giving women the opportunity I always encourage them to like work at basketball camps, to volunteer, to you know, not feel like you you know, there's a lot of opportunities now because you're you can have what total of six people on your staff, and there's there's a lot of opportunities to hire women and if there's someone that and to really outwork people. I'll just tell you a quick story my sister, Heidi, who is ten years younger than me, wanted to go into coaching, and I said, Heidi, the best thing to do is to get trained somewhere. And so I said, you can go three places. You can come to Ohio state where I am, but I will tell you everything I know. Anyway, don't do that. So you have two choices. You can go to Tennessee with Pat Summit, or you can go to Texas with Jody Conrad, because those were the top women at the time, you know, coaching. And I said, I'll pay for your graduate school. I said, but I have one rule. You have to be the first one in the office and the last one to leave every day. So she went to Tennessee and within one week she called me and she said, I have a full graduate assistant position. I said, how'd you get that? Because I was the first one in the office and the last one to leave. So women can't be They have to be, you know, really motivated, hard working, but we have to give them opportunities. And when we look at coaching, you know, in when back when I was first playing, most of the jobs, ninety percent of the jobs were women because there was no money and as soon as money came into it in prestige. Then now half the jobs in women's basketball are men, whereas all the jobs in men's basketball are men. So you know, seventy five percent of the jobs are going to men and we need to balance it out. And honestly, I think a staff of both men and women is ideal, but men won't hire women. So I'm like, well, I've got to hire women and give them the opportunity.
Speaker 1: As the older I get, and I've said this before, the more I feel like overcorrection is necessary. If we've given the world a million opportunities to help with the equity and equality equation and it's not been fixed by the men in charge, then the women in charge have to overcorrect. And to your point, I think, yeah, if you're not included in men's basketball, then you sort of have a responsibility to have women in women's basketball.
Speaker 2: Muffett, what's your take on it?
Speaker 1: I think if you had if someone said tomorrow, your new job is helping fix this problem, where do you start?
Speaker 4: You know, I think there's there's two parts in that. One is the athletic director is mostly white men. They're still doing the hiring and they're hiring a lot of men, and I think that one of the reasons is the way women interview and the way they apply for jobs. I think we need to be better at being more aggressive going after the job and women talk with we you know, well, here's what we did, my staff did this. When you compliment a woman, it's always like, well, everybody did their job, and we all, you know, put together, and men are like, here's what I did, and here's what I can do. And you know, some of the guys that left my staff, I would think, I thought I did a lot of those things, but apparently you did all of those because that's what your resume reflects. So I think that we need to teach women. First of all, we need the network better, We need to put ourselves out there. We need to be able to take hearing no. Guys don't care if they hear no. They make up any excuse, Well they were looking for this and that, and I didn't have that. But women we take it personally and we're really loyal, like we like to stay where we are, and I think that's a part of the punk. We have our networks, we have our help with our families and all those other things, But I think a lot of it is still if a woman fails, the ad is thinking I got to hire a guy because it didn't work with every.
Speaker 1: Woman, right, and that seems to be the case in so many places. It happens also with coaches of color. Often the gender or the races to be blamed and then everybody from that category is out and we're back to white menigan because they never reflect on each other.
Speaker 3: You know, I want to thank Muffett for contributing to the Women's Sports Foundation has a legacy fund. It is in my name, Yeah, but it's really for all women to develop women, to develop a pipeline of women where they're you know, given modest scholarship and through the Women's Sports Foundation, they can then work at a university that might not have the money to pay for another staff person. And I also think that you know, both Muffett and I have worked really hard at mentoring young women to get them ready for head positions. And if you look at the success of you know, the coach at Notre Dame now Ne l Ivy, was a assistant and she has other assistants that are doing extremely well throughout the country. So that's what we're doing you know, it's not we're we're not sitting back complaining about the fact that no, no, but we're doing something about it. And I'm really proud of the coaching tree that I have too, most proud of my sister. You know that it's done so well, but you know so it's mentoring and it's also supporting organizations that support women.
Speaker 2: Yeah, completely agree.
Speaker 1: Twenty nineteen is when you launched the Tara Vander of Your Fund for the Advancement of Women in Coaching with the Women's Sports Foundation, And to my question, that might have been your first step. You weren't assigned the task, but you took it anyway to help fund and create that pipeline, which is just so important. And of course the staffs that you have led throughout both of your careers are a huge part of helping fix that problem as well.
Speaker 2: You mentioned your sister Tar.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you quickly the emotions of watching her coach. You see San Diego in its first ever NCAA tournament appearance, where there are a lot of phone calls of advice or did you say, hands off, she's got this.
Speaker 3: No, you know, she watched our team. She she was at all those noted Dame games that we talked about, you know, but you know, I will tell you it was like a root canal watching and cheering was miserable. But I was so proud of Heidi. This is the first year that they were able to go to the NCAA tournament, and they qualified and they won their turn, their Big West tournament and both she and their men's team went. And you know, do you have to take baby steps?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I also I think Muff and I both would you know, we'd look at a bracket. We're always looking at number one, number two, number three, no four. You know, it's like who even pays attention to, you know, the sixteen seeds, and there's Heidi. And I'm like, I was so excited for her when her name came up. You know, their school came up, even they had to play, they played a play in game, but it was it was just so exciting for her and for us to really under you know, for the young people that get to go to the tournament is something really.
Speaker 2: Special for sure. So Root Canal watching your sister.
Speaker 1: What about the emotions watching Stanford miss the tournament after thirty six straight seasons in the dance.
Speaker 3: Well, you know it's uh. I thought, I thought Kate did a fabulous job this year. And you know, the the talent was not there. They had an injury for a player that missed eight games, they had another player there's out. But she has done Kate has done a fabulous job, you know, not just coaching but recruiting. And you know, I think Stanford we're going through a difficult time with getting a new athletic director, but it will We'll be back very soon. And I think it's the team played hard, the team. The team is a very well coached team, but we need to be bigger and more athletic and more experienced. So good good days are ahead.
Speaker 1: I think also anytime a legend leaves, there's an inevitability that there might be some feeling of like, oh, I don't know that I want to be a part of this new regime or this this restarting of this program after for this, you know, incredible success, so that's.
Speaker 2: To be expected. I'll give them some time.
Speaker 3: I try I give both. I mean to follow Muffett, you know, coach is you know that's a tough that's a very tough situation. I think Kate, but I think they're They're very capable. And these are different times too, you know, all the portal, all the money rev sharing, uh, you know, collective money. This is a different time. And honestly, I I am so thankful for the time that I had as a coach, working with the players I worked with, working you know, on the sideline against people like Muffett and Gino and Pat. I have to pinch myself.
Speaker 1: I've had a magical run coach. It sounds like, and I don't want to speak for you, but it's interesting. There's a little bit of the good old days kind of feeling about the days before the ni L and the transfer portal, and in so many ways the game is evolving in positive ways. For young women to be paid, to have opportunity to have a bunch of pro spaces of WNBA unrivaled and not just overseas, and all these things.
Speaker 2: But it does change the game.
Speaker 1: Is there a bittersweet sort of appreciation of the evolution.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, I really agree they should make some money. I'm all for that. I think they should have to do something to make the money. I don't think somebody should just give it to them. I really hate that they get paid to do community service, which I think is kind of an oxymoron. You're supposed to be doing community service for a lot of reasons. I think we're missing the life skills that we used to teach them about, all the things that they had to learn, the discipline, the perseverance. You're maybe not going to start, You're maybe not going to play a lot as a freshmen. You've got to earn your way, and kids aren't willing to do that anymore. I think the combination transfer portal with the NIL when kids will just call and say, I want to transfer. How much you given me? That's the first question they ask. You know, what about you know, how does it fit?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 4: What about Notre Dame? What about the education? You know, we've totally lost the education because you're going to three and four schools. I mean, there's there's just nothing. And I just think it's really hurting them. I think it's hurting them for their future. Such a small percentage make it in the w What are they going to do when their phone's not going to ring and somebody's not going to say, here's one hundred thousand dollars to do absolutely nothing. They have to make their way in the world, and we're not preparing them to do that.
Speaker 3: I agree one hundred percent and that I do think that players should have the opportunity. You know, we go from one extreme where ten years ago you couldn't give a kid an apple unless you cut it up, and now you're talking about you know, but when you have when you have pro basketball, you have guardrails, and we don't have guardrails. Right now, we don't have guardrails. The horse is out of the barn and there's no fence that's run a while. Yes, nil is a good thing. Yes, pro opportunities are great things. I think I've transferred. I think transferring is you know, they should have the option to do that. But when you combine basically tampering, which we have going on, and that's not allowed in the pros. We don't have a salary cap, I think we're in some quick stand with things. And as Muffett has I think very astutely pointed out, this is not healthy for young people to be living in this la la land of you know, they're delusional about their abilities and you know, like you said, doing getting paid for community service that's an oxymoron.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're in this really interesting space of like appreciating the things that we've always wanted and asked for, but also understanding that some of the joy and the positives that we saw in women's sports as opposed to men's used to be playing for love of the game, not getting caught up in the under the table dealings, like all the stuff that comes when you infuse something with money, it becomes just another part of a larger capitalist system. So yeah, I mean, it's a constant check into how do we get what the players deserve, and also not ruin what was at the heart of it and what made it so great. I know you all have to go, so I have one last question for you. We always ask people what advice they would give their younger self, But I feel like the words we tell our younger self often don't mean much or wouldn't mean much to that younger person. They don't have the wisdom and the experience or the context to get it yet.
Speaker 2: So instead I want to ask something you wish you.
Speaker 1: Already knew and understood in your twenties about life or about yourself.
Speaker 4: I wish I would have had more confidence. I don't think like most women. I think we all struggle with confidence at one time or another, and just that believing in yourself and doing what you know is right and realizing that people are going to criticize you no matter what you do, so you might as well feel good about what you do. Take a chance, you know, take a chance and go after what you want. I was really reluctant to do that for most of my young life.
Speaker 3: How about you, Tara, I think that you know, I guess if I were to, if I were to were able to go back to my twenty five year old self, I think I would probably take better care of myself. I would, you know. I was so crazy about working, and you know, whether it was recruiting or watching video I think I would have done more things for myself younger, and as I got older I figured it out. I just like I needed, you know, time to go to go to the lake, you know, but to work out, to eat eat right and not sacrifice, you know, just just realize it that your life is your life is not a dress rehearsal and every single day, you know, and not be I was a little bit, I think, very one dimensional and just like it was all about work. Yeah, I would have. I would have had more.
Speaker 1: Fun, more fun, more risks. All right, listen up, twenty somethings, more fun, more risks. Also, the patriarchy is a fucking trap. Learn it now. Don't work to appease men, don't align with men in power. Be the woman in power, and bring other women with you. That's what I would tell myself is learn way earlier how much of society's messaging to women is bullshit, and just start deciding that I don't have to play any of their rules.
Speaker 3: That's Sarah, Well, Sarah, what else you know? Let it all out there.
Speaker 2: I just know I waited until the end. I kept it classy until I showed her myself.
Speaker 3: Tar.
Speaker 2: We don't know each other very well, you know, all right.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Sarah. I just want to just say it's an honor to be on a panel with Muffett and Muffett, it's great to see you, and yeah, you do. You do a tremendous job on television. I think that they ought to have more coaches talking about the game because you know what you're talking about. But thank you, appreciates a great job, and Sarah, thank you for including me.
Speaker 1: Thank you both so much for coming on. This was such a fun, fun time. Thank you so much Tatar and Muffett for taking the time. We got to take another break stick around. Welcome back, slaicays. We love that you're listening, but we want to get you in the game every day too. So here's our good game play of the day, y'all. Don't wait to take a big swing. Don't be so afraid of failing that you don't even try. Don't be so risk averse that you never take a chance. If you've been waiting for a sign, this is it. I'm talking to you and to me. I think we got to meet this weird, awful, scary moment with more bravery and self assuredness and audacity than we thought we had in us. Tara and Muffett said, so, so let's do it. We'd love to hear from you. Hit us up on email good game at wondermedianetwork dot com or leave us a voicemail at eight seven two two oh four fifty seventy. And don't forget to subscribe, rate and review, y'all. I tell you every day.
Speaker 2: Have you done it? Have you subscribed? Have you rated have you given us five stars and given us a nice review? It's really easy.
Speaker 1: Watch tag Notataro's audition to join our team review five out of five you got the job rating. Tag Noataro was the hilarious host of the fifth annual Ambi's Awards here in Chicago, and Good Game was nominated for Best Sports Podcast.
Speaker 2: Now we did not win. We lost to a curling show mm hmm, show about a broom.
Speaker 1: But we are not bitter. We're happy for them. As friend and fellow loser in her category. Pablo Torre said, I'm just glad Canada felt appreciated somewhere in this country. And as they say, honestly, just an honor to be nominated. And it was also an honor to be in the same room as Tig, one of my faves, especially when she perfectly nailed the behind the scenes production speak of every single podcast ever made.
Speaker 5: Now, before we get started, I need to do some housekeeping. First off, you'll all need your own headphones, so there's no feedback tonight, and we are recording on our end. But if you could all just use your voice memos yes for backup, we'd really appreciate it. And lastly, let's all hold for ten seconds for room tone.
Speaker 4: Okay, great, we got that tig.
Speaker 2: You're hired. We'll send you the link to join the next recording. Now it's your turn. Y'all rate and.
Speaker 1: Review, Thanks for listening, and thanks again to Nissan and the all new Nissan Armada for making this legendary conversation happen.
Speaker 2: We'll talk to you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network, our producers are Alex Azzie and Misha Jones. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan, and Emily Rudder. Our editors are Emily Rutter, Britney Martin Knez, and Grace Lynch. Our associate producer is Lucy Jones and I'm your host, Sarah Spain