Speaker 1: Right justin middle of the field forty five to fifteen.
Speaker 2: Bring Russ in front of a leading Lions in his way.
Speaker 1: I am Jeff jonahacklitz is on Donnie good us.
Speaker 2: What was like playing for Cochie good Gun?
Speaker 3: I don't want to answer any questions like that.
Speaker 2: Sixty one yards?
Speaker 1: What's Sunday stroll for? Justin field?
Speaker 2: Ye Bears et Cetera brought to you by Miller Lte with the voices of the Bears, Jeff Joniac and Tom Thayer.
Speaker 1: So much to do, so little time. It's episode fifty three of the Bears et Cetera podcast with Super Bowl winning Bears guard Tom Thayer. I'm Jeff joniak lots to discuss, thanks for spending some time with us friends. The Super Bowl set. With Kansas City back of the Big Game of the fourth time in six seasons since Patrick Mahomes took over as the starter, he'll face Rock Purdy and the forty nine ers in Vegas a week from Sunday. We also have the Bears settling on new coordinators. Discuss Shane Waldron last week and this week Washington, the new defensive coordinator with a plethora of experience coaching defensive lines and a successful run in Buffalo and Senior Bowl practices underway in Mobile, Alabama, a crop of many top one hundred picks in the April Draft, and tom thare. We have a special member of the Bears family joining us, the one and only Anthony Spice Adams. First of all, Temmy, how you feeling, buddy?
Speaker 2: You started the show with so much do so little time? If you can tell me what movie that's from, I'll buy you and double a esteak dinner anywhere you want, and I'll give you time to think about it, because it's a movie from our childhoods that you guys should know.
Speaker 3: Wow, take your time.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to know that one and no googling allowed. Double A.
Speaker 4: Take your time, Jeff. Pressure is all on you.
Speaker 1: Oh, because you know the answers.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll give it to either one of you. Either one of you guess that it is all right? Well, and from a movie of fun?
Speaker 1: I don't know, so double A.
Speaker 3: Do you know what's the line?
Speaker 1: So much to do, so little time?
Speaker 2: Time?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, I'm out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, I'll tell you at the end of the program.
Speaker 1: All right, that'll keep our listeners involved. But brought to you, by the way, by Miller Lyte double A. Thanks for taking the time because there's so much to explore with you. But first of all, on x otherwise known as Twitter, you're applauding your hometown team, the Detroit Lions, celebrating that team that drafted you as well though in San Francisco. So I'm sure you know the comedian Stephen Wright. I always love one of his lines. He stops and he says, wait a minute, I'm having deja vu and amnesia at the same time. That's what that is. Detroit, San Francisco and the Super Bowl, and you're repping both. How's that happen?
Speaker 4: Oh man, everybody's giving me flack about it, you know, because I'm from Detroit. But the team that drafted me, the Lions, are playing, so everybody wants to know. A you going to root for? I'm rooting for the team that drafted me. Detroit had a chance to give me and they didn't. So I'm riding with the Niners and I hope they win the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Man, So sorry to.
Speaker 4: Let everybody down, but at the end of the day, it's still a game, okay, So relax.
Speaker 2: Double A. During the day of the draft. Did you have any expectations. Did anybody tell you, hey, we're going to draft you. Hey, you know we're gonna be calling it at this route or was it kind of one of those days that you just sat there and waited to see what was going to happen.
Speaker 4: I talked to the Raiders at the it was either the Combine or the Senior Bowl, and this was the defensive coordinator at the time. I remember he sat me down, he said, we watched the game. We love you, we love the way that you hustle, said, We'll draft you in a heartbeat. So I'm like, oh, okay, this is the first I'm hearing of somebody telling me they're going to draft me.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, oh wow.
Speaker 4: So I was the tenth rated defensive tackle coming out, and the nine defensive tackles went fast. I mean it was probably still ten picks left in the first round, so I'm just like, man, if one of these teams need a defensive tackle, I should be next off the board. So the Raiders had the last two picks in the first round. So I'm like, I remember vividly. I remember what he was wearing, I remember his clipboard. I remember the glasses he wore. I remember everything about him saying he would draft me in a heartbeat. So the last two picks, they picked namd Assenwah, who's a he's a good corner, And they picked Tyler Braydon, defensive end out of Colorado. So I'm just like after that, I had no clue where I would be drafted, who was going to draft me or what I know? San Francisco forty nine ers Dan Quinn, who's you know, defensive coordinator for Dallas Cowboys. He was the defense he was the defensive line coach for the Niners. He came and worked me and Mike Haynes out who the Bears picked and so I but I had no clue that they were looking at me in the draft, and they ended up getting me in the second round.
Speaker 1: So well, who was who was the decordinator?
Speaker 3: I can't remember his name?
Speaker 1: No, really, you can remember what he wore, what he said, but he don't remember his name. I got to look that up.
Speaker 4: Well, I got I got his car, I got his card and everything, but I just I forgot it because once I got drafted, I just I forgot everything. At that point, it was just like it didn't even matter, like, let's go Niners, Like, I don't care what you told me.
Speaker 2: It wasn't Dave Adolph was it.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I know Jeff is over there on the machine trying to look it up, like who is this?
Speaker 3: In two thousand and three.
Speaker 2: Coordinator double as these guys get ready for the combine and what a show it's become. How was the combine experience for you, because back in my day you had to go to three combines. You had to go to one in Tampa, one in Detroit, and one in Seattle. Really yeah, And I don't know how your experience was for the combine.
Speaker 4: Oh man, that's whack man. You gotta do three, that's crazy. So I was always under the impression that you kind of set the time when you want to run the forty and things like that. But the time is set for you. Right the day of the combine. I had to get up at like four am or something like that because we had like a you got to do like a like a urine test or something like that, And so you do that at four am in the morning, and then you got to see all these doctors. You get on the Cybex machine and you know, wear your legs out. Then you go to another doctor who has a bunch of these papers of all your medical history, and you take these MRIs, you do thesese, and you go to another room. There's a bunch of doctors that're pulling on you that this hurt, does this hurt?
Speaker 3: Can you do this? Can you do that?
Speaker 4: After all of that, then you run the forty and all of that stuff. So then you end up running at probably like two o'clock or something like that, after you've been up since four am. And so it's just I wasn't gonna run at first, but then I was like, you know what I'm doing there? I did everything except for bench and I did that at my pro day.
Speaker 3: What you do thirty one reps?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I didn't see that in your statland. The one thing you know with the Senior Bowl yesterday was I guess it would be Sunday, was measurements. Measurements, and you know that's always a big deal. Is a guy gonna make it to a number that is listed in his college college roster or what his weight is and then so and Tim always gives me a hard time because I go right to the three eighths, I go to one eighth. I get, I give you what you do. You know what you've earned, right, But I was going to ask you because you're listed as six feet. I don't think you made it to six feet.
Speaker 3: I was, I was.
Speaker 4: I was five to eleven point eight, five eleven and five eighths. But they look, they measure you without your cleats on? Right, You don't play the game without your cleats? Why why do you have to measure with my cleats off? This is it's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: What'd you measure?
Speaker 2: Hey? My whole my whole life in my high school and college program, I was listened at six five when I went to the combine, they got your bare feet and make you lift your toes up off the ground. And I was six three and three quarters and I'm going, no way measure that again. I lost money because of that.
Speaker 3: What difference does it make? Though? What turned on the film?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: And can you play? I don't care if you's four feet eight? Like, can you play? You could play? It don't matter.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll tell you right now.
Speaker 2: That's the thing about it. Double a as. I I take guys that have a low center of gravity, and they earn they earn leverage. Okay, if they measure you at six foot, you're really coming out of your stance at about you know, four foot three, three foot five, which is a better advantage than it is if you're six foot six coming out of your stands.
Speaker 1: And about my size giving up leverage about my size coming out of the stans. You man five seven and a half coming out of my stance at two and a half.
Speaker 2: Feet, you'd be Sam Mills.
Speaker 3: You'd be You'd have to.
Speaker 2: Play, you'd have to play a couple of productive years in the USFL to get yourself into the NFL and become a Hall of Famer like he did.
Speaker 3: There, you have it right there, years playing he would he wouldn't have made it.
Speaker 1: Chuck Resnahan, I mean, come on, that was the defensive coordinator in the Raiders that told you he's gonna pick.
Speaker 3: Oh man, he president messed up. He messed up.
Speaker 4: Now he got he got two good draft picks though, two good draft picks, man, Two good dudes, man that I'm dead and Tyler Braden two good dudes, man.
Speaker 3: So they got their draft right.
Speaker 1: Good news, Chicago United Airlines is getting brand new planes with all the bells and whistles, like Bluetooth connectivity screens at every seat in room for everyone's roller bag United, Proud to fly the Chicago Bears and you too. So how closely are you watching what happens with the team that you spent most of your career at. Yes, four years with the Niners, but you played five years with the Bears and you got the hat on, you got your representing this morning. Are you watching every detail that happens in the building.
Speaker 4: Of course, I like us getting Coach Washington. He's back in the fold. He was great when he was working with Coach Marinelli, and so I like that and the fact that the second half of the season our defense really turned it on. So I think Coach Washington is not going to do anything but help us, and especially the defensive line, because that's that's where I know him front. That's why I know Coach Washington the most working with me on the defensive line. So I'm excited for that. I'm excited to see what they do in the draft. I don't know if we're gonna trade, if we're gonna like who we're gonna get, whatever, whatever, But I'm excited. If we're going to keep Justin, then let's let's surround him with a lot of talent.
Speaker 3: So I'm excited for it.
Speaker 1: We'll get into coach Washington a minute, But Tom and I talk about this, and it's happening every day.
Speaker 3: I got.
Speaker 1: I got a call yesterday from somebody in the college game. What are you guys doing? Like, what are you keeping Justin? Are you trading?
Speaker 2: What's going to happen?
Speaker 3: They act like we really know.
Speaker 1: I know, but it's crazy though. But then so this is what I do. I just flip it right away, what would you do? And they have opinions. They people want to give their opinions, and it is it's it's fifty to fifty. I mean, it is not eighty twenty, it's not twenty five seven. It's fifty to fifty. I don't know. That's my experience. I don't know about you, Tommy, or what you're getting spice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's the same over here. Everybody asks what are they going to do?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 4: So, uh, if they are going to keep Justin that surrounded with talent. If they're not, then get the best available. Get whoever is off the charts, get them, bring them here.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I think the decision is still out there because now you go and you hire a new offensive coordinator and Shane Waldron and a quarterback coach and Carrie Joseph. Now you got to allow these guys to study the product, look at what the responsibility was per play, How is the timing of the play after they broke the huddle and went to the line of scrimmage, And you have to get an evaluation from the guy that's going to be in charge of the offense. So I don't think anybody knows, and I think it's an unanswerable question at this point, even though they're you know, we're still in the beginning of the Super Bowl week and uh, you know every and I don't think anybody's opinion really matters until you give the guy that you just brought in here and hired to have his own opinion to feel if he is a guy that can take justin and turn him into the player that they believed he could be when they drafted him, or if you know, the decision making process during the course of the season is you know, kind of encouraging him to move on, and he's got a lot of irons in the fire. He did a great job with Geno Smith. He's worked in a lot of different systems. So I think you have to respect the opinion of the new guy.
Speaker 4: The grass is the only green the where you water it, you know what I mean, Like everybody think, oh, we could, we could do this, we did that, Let's bring this guy in, Let's do this that. Uh listen, man, Let's let's cultivate what we have already. All right, Let's not just give up so easily, all right, and let's just surround justin fields with talent and then let's see what happen.
Speaker 3: Let's go all out.
Speaker 4: Let's get all the free agent acquisitions we can get, and let's just build this team. I mean, if you look at the year that Detroit is having, I mean, they built that team and they had a lot of grit, man, and they did something that no other Lions team has done in thirty two years. I mean, they should have won was it twelve games? They should have won the one game. The refs they messed up and they they cheated them out of a game man that they should have had.
Speaker 3: Man, they should have.
Speaker 4: Been twelve and five or thirteen and four, whatever it was.
Speaker 2: Well, let me ask you something in relation to what you think the Detroit Lions are. They should have beat him in Detroit and they did beat him at home. Does that give you more encouragement going forward that you belong and that if you turn things around in a couple of the games, that you could be that Detroit Lions team that we're all talking about this year.
Speaker 4: I don't think you can just base it off of that game. You know, you never know, like they were the Bears were good that day. You know, it's just like they say any given Sunday, you know, and it just so happened that game was everything was going right for us, and so you can't base it off of that. You kind of got to base it off the season that you had. You got to base it off of how did you do when when Khalil Herbert couldn't play? Like, how did you fail when your offensive linement got hurt? Like were you able to Like That's how you can kind of judge or base what you're going to do for the next season off of, not just off of the Lions.
Speaker 3: GA, Well, we beat the Lions, so and you know.
Speaker 4: It's just like you know, the first game Detroit had when they beat Kansas City. So now you're like, oh, we're gonna win the super Bowl. That was just a good game that you had, and you can build off of it get better. I think everybody just has to when they're one on one battles, when they're in the visual batters, look themselves in the mirror and say how can I get better? How can I impact his team? And I think if you get eleven players all saying the same thing, then you'll be happy with the outcome.
Speaker 1: Well, one of the things you got to focus to is the division. You got to beat the division. And so I'm looking at these playmakers, you know, whether it's Jordan Love and Green Bay and all those young receivers and tight ends and Aaron Jones, and we'll see what their defense looks like with a new coordinator. And then you got Detroit and you know their instant offense right now, I mean they are and the Vikings, but that's what I'm saying. I mean, the Vikings have on both sides of the ball something to be concerned win. So the Bears you have to match fire with fire a little bit. You gotta kind of kind of don't you have to do guys, You guys played, don't you have to solve those puzzles first? Like you just can't. You know, you're only playing six games against your division, but those six games matter significantly, So you can't just build your team to face that group, but you know you're facing him every year. And so I mean speed in Detroit is insane with Jamir Gibbs and Jamison Williams and that tight end laporta very and very impressive draft class, not to mention what they're doing on the defensive side of the ball. So I don't know how you guys look at it. Would you look at it that way? And anyway, Timmy, I'll start with you.
Speaker 2: You know double a kind of brought up is how are you on the day that you play these guys? And to me, if you're going to play the Green Bay Packers opening week of the season, you better simulate more of real game action before you play in week one. I think if you come out of training camp the way these teams do today and they have so much time off before the actual real regular season game, you're not playing any reps in the preseason you're taking a real big chance of being unprepared on that first week. Now, because I'm talking about the Bears did open up with Green Bay and they closed with green Bay. So I do think, you know, thinking about what DOUBLEA said about being prepared on the day you play him, you know, I think that's got to be a big point of ephesis if you do open the schedule again with a division opponent.
Speaker 4: I think that the Bears really need to start scouting and seeing what free agent can come in and make an immediate impact in jail with the team. I think that's what they did so well with our defense. So I came in. I came from a three to four defense, but I've always played a four to three. So when I got a chance to get back into that four three, I was. I was thriving, especially when we got coach Marinelli, because he just broke everything down and he had us so prepared and we did the same thing every day.
Speaker 3: So they did a great job of.
Speaker 4: Adding me, adding Pie, Satino, is Samoa, all these different guys who came in and just had immediate impacts. So I think that the scouts really need to just could down and really take their time and find out who's who's going to be the missing pieces to this defense as well as the offense.
Speaker 1: Well you know, line of scrimmage. It's the same refrain that I I I shouted from the how highest mountaintop last year on both sides of the ball, and I still I still stay there. I still stay there right now. Uh you know, you look at you look at these games in the playoffs. Yeah, you gotta have special quarterback, but you gotta have an offensive line, and you got to have a pass rush because an offensive line commute the pass rush. And if you're not a good offensive line, your pass rush is gonna hurry up the process of your quarterback. Aka Lamar Jackson, he was he was not comfortable in that game Baltimore against.
Speaker 3: I couldn't let her to block me. I can't.
Speaker 2: Oh no way, you'd have no choice.
Speaker 4: We would have been battling. We would have been battling. I wasn't gonna give up nothing. You want to go give up that?
Speaker 1: Well, from a scouting perspective, you know, could could you get on Tom's edges?
Speaker 3: That's what I do. That's what I do, Jeff, have you seen me?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Because if he gets on his edges. I don't know, it's Tommy.
Speaker 4: That's the only event is I get I'm already at the edge already. You got to come to where I'm already at time? Do you have the feet to handle him coming on your edges?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I listen back when they used to use the snapcount as a weapon, and we're jumping that count to half second early, and then we're getting hands onto Double A. And it's never just one of us in our offensive line. There is always Listen, man, if we're going to slide the protection one way, I'm gonna get hands on you and Jay's gonna be jumping over immediately. So but Double A, let me ask you a question on that same accord. So you look at Montes Sweat and what he's able to do with this defense. So is Montese Sweat best best complimented by the opposite edge rusher or is he best complimented by a dominating defensive guy on the inside that has what you talk about, the explosiveness and the ability to get on the edge immediately.
Speaker 3: It helps to.
Speaker 4: Have another guy on the other edge that could help you out. But I think that the defensive tackle being right there next to you affects you a lot more. So, if you got somebody that could make the quarterback step up into the pocket, then that's your sack right there.
Speaker 3: You can just use that as a text game.
Speaker 4: Sometimes you run natural text games depending on how far the defensive tackle can get in the backfield. Like Tommy Harris was amazing at it, Like his just his fast twitch muscles was just like, I mean, you two eighty and you running a four to six and like the game speed is there. It's not like just like you just can run a good forty like no, he actually you can see it in the game that the guys a four six. So when you got a guy that's getting off the ball all like that, it just makes your job that much easier as a as a defensive end. So I think he would benefit more from having a defensive tackle who could really just get off the rock. And Tommy Harris was just like a great example. You put him alongside the same Alex Brown or Adawa Lee or Julius Peppers, then that defensive end is gonna have a lot of sacks and he's gonna be very happy.
Speaker 1: Game day snacking calls for good foods, Chunky guacamole made with hasa, avocados, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice. It's the perfect snack to watch Wile de Bears win score some Today at your local grocery store. Game day is Guakday. The reason I'm laughing is because I'm just going through. I'm picturing I'm picturing both of you guys on a barbecue. Tom's working working the grill, and I know that that at Double A is a pitmaster as well. But any kind of food, I'm thinking you guys are diving in head first and your head first in that guacamole, and you're gonna make some joke about it somehow, some's.
Speaker 4: Gonna make a joke about you. Just that's what I love to do, just joke on you. It's the best thing in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you get your you get your jolly's off of it, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Every day, No, you have a great time.
Speaker 4: It's it's so easy to do it, so satisfying. It's like I would like to play a prank on Jeff every day of my life.
Speaker 3: He just ah, just.
Speaker 2: You better double a. You better hope that you don't prank or joke the day he's in a sour mood because he's not he's not having it, and he's gonna react negatively, or he's just gonna tell you, look, I'm not there today. Don't don't go that direction. So it's not like, uh, you know, not like an everyday jokester. You gotta you gotta pick and choose your time and what conditions you're in.
Speaker 3: Never listen on.
Speaker 2: Game day morning. Don't ever have some nonsense or something you just want to joke about out or something you saw on TV. It's got to be the right time and place.
Speaker 4: But the thing about me there's I don't care. I don't I don't care like what you feel.
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't care about any.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's why me and Peanut always fighting. Oh really, because because both of us don't care. Oh okay, Like I don't care if you get upset. He definitely doesn't care if you get upset, and we just we just clash all the time.
Speaker 1: Well, Tom, I mean on game day you were not joking around.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I know, but you know, I mean, you know, but we work sixty hours a week together, So you know, you gotta pick and choose your time, because usually Jeff I met a hurry.
Speaker 3: Come on, look, let's start this.
Speaker 2: We gotta do this.
Speaker 1: That's right, I gotta go. That's my waiting for me.
Speaker 3: Who doesn't even ask if you're ready. Tommy's at three to two one. Here we're here at Bear's Chicago.
Speaker 1: Hey, Lauren screaming calls me that I gotta go. Guy. You know you're your partner there in Crime for the Bears. Lauren screen makes because I always say, I gotta go, gotta go, ye gotta make sense.
Speaker 2: Whether you got of our coworker, Laurence Screening. So I have an app on my phone that in downtime i'll play Solitaire or something. So after you're going from one game to the next, who's the commercial that pops up on my phone? Is Laurence Screening?
Speaker 1: And I just get a kick out of it.
Speaker 2: Chevy. It's called Yeah car Cars, and but it's you know, high game. It's Lauren screen here, and I just it's it's it's almost like she's talking directly to me because I know her and she's a coworker of all of us. But you know, it's kind of funny to see that nowadays he got.
Speaker 3: The same voice too.
Speaker 4: It's not like, yeah, it's not like she tries to do a different voice when she's doing commercials or anything like that. It's the same voice, which is and then when you hear it, you're just like, it's the same.
Speaker 2: Listen, it's the same thing with you double when I see you on the TV commercials on the big screen and you're the same guy that's you know, asking about asking about a rais and stuff.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's insane way you do, man. You know, you're a walking talking billboard.
Speaker 2: Dressed up like it, dressed up like showing up at.
Speaker 1: Us, Yeah, there you go. Or or better yet, how about show up as some of your viral Instagram x Twitter characters. I don't know your alter egos. How about stretch Mark Simmons. How would he walk into a scrabble tournament stretch marress.
Speaker 4: Mark Simmons got to be a WrestleMania dude. It's gotta have stretch. Mark Simmons is the best. Is the best. If you care about his body at all, he throws his body a right, kind of like Junkyard dog. Yeah, I don't know if you remember junk Yard Yeah, man, it's kind of the same guy.
Speaker 3: Man, you know it just got to check, says Taco meet Out, not.
Speaker 4: Really caring, very athletic, agile, all those things, doesn't lose. He has all the confidence in the world that he can win every match and loses every last one of them.
Speaker 1: Are all your characters athletic in some way?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Yes, Even even a guy on the grill is doing some athletic stuff while he's on there.
Speaker 3: Like have you ever seen.
Speaker 4: Somebody on the grill and they're trying to like flip a hot dog or something like that and it falls off of the grill.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's when the athleticism comes in.
Speaker 4: I've never seen so many saves in my life, Like I've seen people like catch a hot dog with the spatula, like that's that's that's hard to do. But there's a lot of athletic pit masters that all make it happen. I'll be one of them, man, because I'm low already, I'm low to the ground.
Speaker 3: There would have had would have gate there fits fits you and whoever else was next to you.
Speaker 4: Double team. I want I want you to double team. That's what I want you to That's what I live for. That I'm I'm I love to be miserable and I love to have company. So come on with me, Come on down to the five eleven land, come on down here.
Speaker 2: You would have to slap because you're not going to get a hold of my jersey between the two faced tape and the silicone sprayed on the outside.
Speaker 3: And so I'm playing with.
Speaker 2: Check this out. So I've been telling some young players about this. So the jerseys that we wore when I played for the Bears, they were onesies. So you put the jersey on, you tucked it in. They came underneath your legs and then you buttoned them up and so like you couldn't pull our jersey out of our you know, out from tucking the pants and stuff, and it was impossible buller grab. So it was more of a like a hand slap or an arm under, arm over, you know, those types of moves because you're not going to get a handful of jersey. And he ain't me by you.
Speaker 4: That was never my moo anyway. It was this pure wheel and strength and grit. Get low and being low.
Speaker 2: You know what we could do. Let's do we could do a nutcracker where you're a defensive lineman on the offensive lineman and Jeff is the ball carrier.
Speaker 3: Oh, I would love it.
Speaker 1: I would love it.
Speaker 3: I would love that right right in the sue right.
Speaker 1: We did that on the beach, you and I and one of those old Bears trips.
Speaker 3: You got to have all your equipment on and I tee off on you.
Speaker 1: You know what, I would love it. One time I didn't play football. It's the biggest regret in my life. Tom has tried to listen. Tom has tried to talk me in, and he said he would pay for it. I'm sure it's expensive. You know how they have any the hospital, they have these fantasy camps. Well I don't know if Notre Dame still does it, but at all ages they get him into and they get him a regular practice week, get ready for a game in full uniform, full tackle. I mean, I'm sixty one.
Speaker 2: Don't don't talk him out of it. It's the most realistic understanding of a real week of football in anybody's life. So it's all full pads, they have complete equipment. You go through two days of doubles and then you go through a single day, then you have a walk through, then you have an actual gain inside Notre Dame Stadium, and.
Speaker 1: Please, I signed me up, Sign me up in there. We make a documentary out of it.
Speaker 2: He'd look, he'd like, he'd look like the reincarnation of Rudy.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Okay, at this, I'm curious.
Speaker 1: Okay, you ready for this?
Speaker 3: So I think so?
Speaker 1: Hey, either running back or middle linebacker? Oh my god, you got it, that's it, you said. I'm Sam Mills.
Speaker 3: Hey, listen, I get through one preak.
Speaker 1: Don't mess with the bull. You'll get the horns.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Okay, I want I want to you know what I'll pay to remain a hat?
Speaker 1: Do I have to do? You get to sign a waiver or you know?
Speaker 3: I don't know? I mean yeah, oh yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: Hey, we're sponsored by Miller Light tastes like middle Time, Celebrate Responsibly Midller Brewing Company, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Ninety six calories and three point two carbs per twelve ounces. Here with Anthony Adams, otherwise known. You're going to do it, Spice Adams. Hey, I'm sixty one and I'm hurting. Are you kidding me? I think my window is closed.
Speaker 2: The last time listen, the last time I was there, there was a guy that was sixty three years old. So I'll do I'll do some checking, I'll do some investing, gating, and see you still.
Speaker 1: I got herniated disc.
Speaker 3: I go in with you.
Speaker 1: I've got a herniated disc in my lower back. I've got our thritus in the knees.
Speaker 3: I mean, I put a go pro on your chest just so you can always have the experience in ak uh huh uh huh. Yeah, all right, I got I'll get to the GoPro too. Don't even worry about it.
Speaker 1: All right, Listen, a couple of things I mentioned stretch Mark Simmons. But is Leon Lemons, one of your introductory characters of significance.
Speaker 4: To your popularities, is the most popular meme okay, I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 1: And for those who haven't seen him, explain who he is and what he's all about.
Speaker 4: So we were taking professional pictures, Jeff, family pictures on our Christmas car that we send out every year. We were somewhere in Libertyville or something like that, and we were taking family pictures by Pine and you know it's I got on like you know, the sweater, the brown sweater with the jeans and the nice shoes or sometimes take the shoes off. You know, it's the nice family pictures. So I say, you know what, let me go to the minivan. I got a little yellow outfit in there that I'm gonna get in. I said, I'll I'll tell my wife, so I'll be right back. She's like, oh my gosh, what is he doing? So I go to the minivan and I changed in the minivan. I change out of the brown sweater with the jeans and everything, and I put on his yellow suit with no shirt on and come out of the minute to sort of the minivan is just.
Speaker 3: Rocking everybody going on to seeing in there.
Speaker 4: So I come out with a yellow suit on, and my wife is just like, oh my gosh, like we are paying good money for these pictures, like why why do you have this one? So I get behind this tree and I like come out and it's like start rubbing my hands. I'm like, just just take this picture. I think it'll be funny. And there's another picture of me like coming through like some flowers or something like that. I take this position just to be funny. So then I posted and put this story up. LEEI lemmons, this guy's this is his wife and his kids. Whatever, da da make this a whole, big old story up. Little did I know that this would end up being worldwide. Everybody use like every brand, like politicians, like everybody, everybody. I had a I did a commercial with this company, this internet company called super Loop over in Australia based off of that meme it is bananas. They flew me out to Australia to shoot a commercial over there in Australia.
Speaker 3: Is he the.
Speaker 4: No, that's a whole another character. So each one of these characters that went viral, but Lee Lemmons is probably it's hard to keep track up who's the guy?
Speaker 3: That's what? That's just that's just me being silly.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: That's just the laugh you have when you get a nice haircut. You know how it is.
Speaker 4: You look in the mirror and you're going to pick up your girl and you just look at the mirror one time and you're like, that's that's That's basically what it is. It's universe. Everybody's done that laugh, even your therapy. You don't even have no hair, right.
Speaker 1: I used to if you could make time into one of your antal egos or come up with a plan, what would it be for Tom.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's got to be the grill Master, because you know Tom already likes to cook. You know, he's surfing, got the dog and all that. That's just that's grill master activity right there. You know, he knows what he wants, he knows what he likes and goes see, dog is right there, Dog is right there.
Speaker 2: That's my guy, Ernie, the grill master.
Speaker 1: Who's that dog? Spuds Mackenzie, You know, time you could have made commercials with Ernie. You could have been on a surferboard.
Speaker 2: The poor guy doesn't walk too well anymore, so that's why he's just kind of here laying next to me, and he gets I have two other dogs, Spice that sweet Lou and Rudy that pull Ernie in the wagon because he doesn't he doesn't walk very well anymore.
Speaker 3: Oh man, Ernie.
Speaker 4: Man, we gotta get Ernie in the Notre Dame camp.
Speaker 3: I have a Ernie and Jeff.
Speaker 2: I have a Bears jersey for Ernie with his name on it.
Speaker 3: It looks all right.
Speaker 4: We gotta get this popping man. When when is this? When is this camp? This fantasy camp?
Speaker 3: I just say this.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm a busy man.
Speaker 3: You've been working out.
Speaker 4: No, every time I see you, you look like you just did some curls or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, no, no, Well we're not going to talk about me.
Speaker 2: But this is preseason and you'll be in shape. And you know, I'm sure there's a couple of those Notre Dame coaches that would love to get a hold of the Jeff jon kind of mold.
Speaker 3: Mold that Clay I would volunteer as well. Oh god, I would volunteer my time.
Speaker 1: So listen, you've done so much in your life you couldn't possibly have envisioned this correct. Maybe the football part, But would you say you've had more powerful life altering moments in football or as an entertainer.
Speaker 3: I would say.
Speaker 4: Probably as an entertainer because I had no clue like what I'd be doing, and it was just it got to the point where it was it was scary because that's that's all I based my life off of, was football for eighteen years. And then when it was when I had to give it up, It's like, well, what am I going to do now?
Speaker 3: I have no idea?
Speaker 4: And then I created my production company based off of that, No Plan Productions, because that's exactly what I had when I was done.
Speaker 3: No plan.
Speaker 4: So you talk about life altering, like you wake up in the morning and you know you got six miles you gotta feed immediately as soon as your eyes open and you see all this money going out, you don't see any coming back in. So it's like, what am I going to do? You know, I prepared myself for this day. I didn't know when it was going to happen, how it was going to happen. And I always said, Okay, I want to save up enough money and liquid where I could kind of make my decision in a year or two at least two years.
Speaker 3: At least two years.
Speaker 4: I get to try to figure out how am I going to get money?
Speaker 3: And you know.
Speaker 4: The fact that I created all these relationships with the media. When the Bears gave me an opportunity to do inside the Bears, I jumped at it, and you know, I wasn't doing anything else, so I'm like, yeah, I might as well, you know, just use my personality or whatever.
Speaker 3: That's really all I got going.
Speaker 4: And since I did that, you know, I started making all these different videos through social media. I had guys like Chris Harris and Earl Bennett, who said, man, we see you be funny in the locker room, man, but you know, nobody else really get a chance to see you. So I started making these videos and I started talking to them and say, hey, man, this is You're built for social media. But while I was playing, I had no idea. Like I had, I didn't want anything to do with social media. I'm basing everything off football. I don't want to do that, like I. At the time, it was one hundred and twenty characters on Twitter, So I'm like, you do one hundred and twenty characters of your thoughts and people judge you off of your thoughts, off of your opinions.
Speaker 3: That's stupid. Why would I want to do that.
Speaker 4: I gotta deal with y'all opinions already in the locker room, Like why would I bring the whole world into that? And so, you know, based off of that, Chris Harris would record me walking into the locker room, just doing what I would normally do, and he would post it up on Twitter and like, look at all the interactions.
Speaker 3: This is getting it.
Speaker 4: And I was like, what a lot of people care, Like what is this is just me acting silly? In the weight room. Like every Friday, you would see me in the weight room with all type of shark on my hand, and I would grab a five pound weight and just act like it was five hundred pounds and I'd be in there earth.
Speaker 3: It's be funny.
Speaker 4: Every Friday I would do it, and sometimes people will record it and put it up, put it up on the internet, and it would do well. And I never understood why. And then you know, right now it all makes sense. You know I would making double a Do.
Speaker 2: They go hand in hand? Though? So would you be an entertainer if you didn't play football or did you gain confidence to be an entertainer because you played football.
Speaker 4: I was always an entertainer, Yeah, I just never really knew it. Me being an only child, I didn't have any brothers and sisters. So I used to always put on the show when people came up to the house, whether I was I used to purposely make myself fall down the stairs.
Speaker 3: Oh man.
Speaker 4: There was a lot of fat stunt man stuff I used to do to make people laugh. I would crack jokes, I would dance. I would do all these things just so people going to be like, hey man, let's go at Anthony's house. Man, I'm pretty sure he's gonna do something that's gonna make us laugh and let's have a good time. So I always wanted people around me to have a good time, whether I was football in the locker room or just in general, especially at my house because, like I said, I was an only child and then my mom made me play football. Football is a former entertainment, and literally did I know that that's what I needed? And I had been doing that for eighteen years, and then I just gravitated towards something that I've naturally been doing since I was a kid.
Speaker 1: When it's time to tackle some game day deals, then go with the grocer who's been a part of Chicago since eighteen ninety nine, about the time Anthony Adams rolled into Town jewel Asco, the official grocery store of the Chicago Bears. All right, among all.
Speaker 3: The idea, how many how many jobs you did today?
Speaker 1: Well we got we got seven of them, so I got a couple more to go.
Speaker 3: Okay, sometimes it's seamless, sometimes it's not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sometimes it's it's definitely not. But it looks Jeff, you de man, Well, I appreciate that. Among the entertainers you have, and we're talking about all walks of life, obviously those of the unknown variety that you're probably discovering and people want to partner with you, and then the big the big stars, the silver screen stars, the shacks of the world. Has that been something that you've relished, the opportunity to work with some of these these folks and have they pulled something more out of you that you didn't even think you had in you for sure?
Speaker 3: And it's it's been great, you know.
Speaker 4: I know ever thought that I'd be working alongside the Rock or Kevin Hart or Shaq or Dion Cole like all these people that you see on TV all the time. I've been fortunate enough to work with and they've also you know, pulled me over to the side and say, hey man, maybe you should work on this, or I like how you do this, blah blah blah, and you know, they give me tips along the way, and my wife hates when I do it, but I always like, just just break everything down in the football terms where it's like if you if you at practice and you're doing a play and somebody comes to say, hey man, why don't you try doing that? In your left hand stance. Why don't you try doing it this way? So it's the same thing when it comes to acting or you know, performing in front of people. Why don't you try it this way? Why don't you do it?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Okay, So it's great to get different tips and things like that from a guy like Dwayne the Rock Johnson.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: So, like I said, I never thought that I would be in this position. And you know, I'm just trying to live in a moment and you know, be a role model to my kids so they'll know that football was what I is, what I did, It's not who I am. So I think that, you know, sky is the limit for what I do. And I'm just trying to provide for my kids, man, and make you proud, Jeff, So you can say, hey, I know that guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am proud. I am proud.
Speaker 2: Hey.
Speaker 1: We used to have conversations in the locker room all the time when you were a player.
Speaker 4: They were you know, I either which one did you enjoy better, me as a player or me being on the media side.
Speaker 1: Oh now, just being fun? Yeah, no, you were quite serious. We got into some very serious conversations with which we don't have enough time to explore. But you know, I remember this though, Tommy. One of the things that really bugged him was, you know, he he only played two playoff games and he got to the Bears after they went to the Super Bowl in two thousand and six, and you went to the playoffs once, but you played two games in twenty ten, and that should have been a super Bowl, to be honest. NFC Championship game. I can still remember it all sadly Green Bay Packers, but it's probably and you you were really upset because you never went in high school either. I mean you had bowl games at Penn State though, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the thing is, though, there's nothing like playoff football. And I texted Tommy the other day after the ORFC Championship and I said, I'm depressed, Like this is depressing, and tom said, I'm so depressed. I'm having anxiety because we're both we just we need to experience more success.
Speaker 2: Well, it's got a is. I'm so envious of the position these guys are in because I I I got to be there at one time. That I can't even watch the end of the NFC and AFC Championship game. I have to turn it off because I I'm like, it gives me anxiety to watch the celebration and that that instant, that moment of time that these guys know what's what's going on. So I don't know if you're that psycho about it, but you know I am, and I just don't enjoy watching other people have that celebration.
Speaker 3: Oh man, it's the worst.
Speaker 4: Man. I was just I was just talking yesterday on the radio about the night before the NFC Championship. I look myself in the mirror and I'm like, don't be that guy. Don't be that guy saying I should have could have put it. Don't be that guy saying I was one game away from the super Bowl. And here I am saying it.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 4: I was one game away, one game away. And I remember when we first came out. They had a great script, they had a great fifteen play scripted, and the drive they came down and they scored the next time they got the ball, they came down and they scored, and that was it. That's all we gave up defensively was fourteen points.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 4: This was from a team that went down to Atlanta and I think they probably put up forty five points.
Speaker 3: So I'm just.
Speaker 4: Like, oh my gosh, like I kicked myself all the time. When Irlacker got the interception, if I could have got a block on Aaron Rodgers, he wouldn't have been able to trip lack.
Speaker 3: Lacker goes in and scores that touchdown.
Speaker 4: Then maybe we go to overtime, or maybe we win by a touchdown. I don't know, We'll never know, but I was I was dead tired on that play. I was we I think me and Tommy had a stunt and you know where I kind of slant the gap and Tommy comes around or however it played out.
Speaker 3: But I was dead tired.
Speaker 4: And I remember seeing the foot of Aaron Rodgers like just jump over my hand. If I could have got up it just got just a bump on him, he wouldn't have been able to trip up Earlacker.
Speaker 1: So well, it's interesting because people may who remember it was twenty one to fourteen the final, but the defense when they gave up fourteen and bj Raji deep in the south end of Soldier Field, and I went to the Super Bowl that year and covered it. In Dom Caper's the defensive coordinator, I pulled him aside, I said, tell me about that play, because I'm glad you asked, he goes it was the only time I used that play call the entire year. We practiced it in training camp, never used it until that moment, and it was a zone drop by bj Raji nose tackle. Like do you think about the detail of coaching and something like that the guy can pull out of his vast memory bank of options in the most important moment of a game, and that that was the difference. That was the difference of them going to the Super Bowl. I respect that. I respect that, I really do. He took advantage of an inexperienced quarterback at the time who didn't see it, and that was Caleb Haney at the time.
Speaker 2: So crazy, I think that happens more often than you get a chance to interview the coach that it specifically happened to. You know, because if you go back to a couple of weeks ago when Detroit had Taylor Decker go in and you know, make himself eligible, and then the officials kind of screwed it up. They ran the play, they ran us successfully. He was completely uncovered and then you know, the the officials said, you know, the whole reporting incident. So I do believe that when you get into this so late in the season, there's always a play in memory bank of the offensive defensive coordinator and maybe they head coach that they say, Okay, we've been practicing, this is the one instance where we need it, and they do it and it, you know, works successfully and they're not aware of it or you know, did it's it falls short or whatever the result of it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's a that's that's good coaching too.
Speaker 4: Man. Like, we we did a lot of different fronts when we had Coach Marinelli, but we wouldn't do the same thing against Baltimore Ravens because the Ravens do a lot of unbalanced So you know, it'd be a lot of times where we play a certain team and you know, you get to the point where it's like, hey, I cannot draw up the play, all right, you guys got to go out there and make it happen. So it may be sometimes where we say, hey, all right, let's let's run a play that we did against Carolina and.
Speaker 3: From last year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but we had built up that rapport and we had did everything there was to do in a cover two that we could just look at each other and just give each other signals, which is that's what we did because it's kind of hard to communicate a defensive end to a defensive end on the other side, Like you know, you got to be able to use hand signals and stuff like that to kind of communicate with are defensive line mates. And you know we did that a lot of times. But that comes from good coach.
Speaker 1: I circle back here to Eric Washington before we wrap up a couple of quick things. So your old defensive line coach in your latter part of your career with the Bears, So that was his entree to the NFL. You had worked in college game Northwestern. A very very very nice man, very smart, and he's risen through the ranks. Ron Rivera took him over to Carolina, who's defensive line coach, defensive coordinator. He's also in the last four years been in senior positions with the Buffalo Bills, including assistant head coach and senior defensive assistant, as well as coaching defensive line. What about him in impressed you what a bottom resonates with you and how he'll help what already is a very good defensive line coach here with the Bears and help coordinate the game plan for Maddy Reflution.
Speaker 4: Well, he learned from one of the goats of the game, the historian. If you will, Rob Marinelli is the best. I remember when coach Manelli first came to the Bears, his first conversation with us was I am the why.
Speaker 3: And I said, what does that mean? What do you mean you are the why?
Speaker 4: He was like, if you have a question of why in this defense, I will give you an answer. I know everything there is to know about this cover two and why we run it on cover three. When the linebackers got their back to the quarterback, you got to get to the passer. You have to affect his throw because these linebackers are trusted in you that you be able to handle everything up front. So it's a run, you got to take care of it. If it's a pass, then you have to make sure he passes it quick or you sack.
Speaker 3: Him, or you hit him, or you knock the ball out.
Speaker 4: And so he said, hey, I'm gonna give you the keys, and you go out there and you make it happen. So Coach Washington was there for all of that. He sat down he took notes, he talked to everybody on the side, and then when it was his time to become the guy, you're the defensive line coach. He got that chance when he went to Carolina. But you know, he still would pull us over to the side and say, hey, you need to work on this, you need to work on that. And you know, he was just he was a great guy. He was thorough. He he was on top of his stuff. He knew the terminology, you know, if you got a gap in a half or if you got a coffee house, like all of these different terminologies. He learned from coach from Baronelly and it was just like a seamless transition when he became the defensive line coach. So I'm excited for him. And you know, he's going to be defensive coordinator and his emphasis, of course is going to be on the defensive line because you know, you you with one of the goats, like you with Mary Nelly. Man, I'm so happy for coach Washington. It's you know, it's been full circle for him.
Speaker 3: Man. I'm glad he got the opportunity to be a defensive coordinator here.
Speaker 1: Hall of Fame coming up. The voting will find out February eighth. And you got two former teammates.
Speaker 3: Oh significant Jeff.
Speaker 1: Devin Hester is one. Julius Pepper's part of that twenty ten team, one of the best free agent signings the Bears have had here in the last twenty years. Who we need to talk to j know, hit your knees and pray. And Steve McMichael part of the family too. Hopefully that's all a rap as well. You can book it. It'll probably be the Bears in the Hall of Fame game in Canton in the summer. But anyway, it's no brainers.
Speaker 3: Correct, Yes, yeah, ain't no question.
Speaker 4: I know Pep's getting there. Pepper is a cyboard. I've never seen a person like Pep. I had an argument with my son. Is my test sweat? He's like Pep or like who, No, he is not? Are you kidding me? Let me tell you something. Let me tell you something. If practice was at three, I'm getting there at eleven. I got a stretch, i gotta get in a hot tub, i gotta get in cold tub. I'm doing pilates, I'm doing hot yoga, I'm doing all.
Speaker 3: These different stretches.
Speaker 4: Pep gets there at two thirty and he just he puts his stuff on it and it goes out to practice. No tape, he does the tape. I gotta get my ankles taped. I gotta put a sesamoid pad up under my foot so that I could alleviate the pain that I get in my big toes plural big toes. I've had turf toe and both of my big toes. So I got to get a special type of tape. I'm basically it takes at least forty five minutes or something just to tape up my ankles the way that they need to be taped. So of course I got to get there early. And you know it's sixty people on the team, so I got to get there early. Pep shows up at two point thirty and just put on the basic stuff shoe, socks, passed, showlder pants, boom, let's go. Sometimes two forty five. I'm like, how is this bo And we'll be out on the field. Everybody's stretching, I mean you sweating everybody. Pep is standing there with his hands on his shoulder pass watching everybody else stretch. They blow the whistle and you know, they put the defensive line way on the other side of the practice field. So we got to run like crazy from you know, stretch to where we got individual drills. Pep running a four to six booking it. I'm like, dude, I've been here since eleven. I've already played the game all ready, like I've never seen it. I remember one time Pep hurt his wrists. This is the first time ever going into the training room. Like he didn't even know how to handle it. He didn't even know how to under like, how to explain the pain he was feeling. Hey, I gat some type of sensation in my wrist where it's not allowing me to get full I can't get the full range of motion. I don't understand what it. Pep, you're this thing that they call hurt. I don't know if you've ever felt this type of pain before. But we coming here in the training room to rehab it. Oh, I didn't know what the room was for. I just thought it was.
Speaker 3: Just like that. He had no clue that but this is what we're talking about. But anyway, that's just Pep.
Speaker 4: Devin Hester is the best kick returner, punt returner ever. I don't understand how he didn't get in last year. I don't understand it.
Speaker 3: But he definitely should be in.
Speaker 4: It's a no brainer between him and Pep and of course Mango, And of course I'm biased, but Devin Hester, are you kidding me? Do you know how many people kicked out of bounds like you risk getting the ball? We got the ball on the forty You would rather do that? All we need is but.
Speaker 3: To three first dollars? Maybe we kick a field goal with Robbie Gold. Come on, man, are you that's who we're talking about? Could you?
Speaker 1: Could you do? Could you do? Jeff Joniak calling a Devin Hester kickoff return for a touchdown on cue Ready, Kevin Hester?
Speaker 3: O jeless?
Speaker 1: I mean I need I needed to say you from the from the from the catch to the touchdown. But that I'll take a concert.
Speaker 3: By Juel Osco and then you're doing drop like right.
Speaker 1: After well like this Visy heart Seltzer, the official Heart Seltzer of the Chicago Bears Anthony Adams in our remaining moments here. You ever want to do a movie?
Speaker 3: Yes? Why not?
Speaker 4: I got four kids? Man, I want to do anything when they paying me a lot of money. Yeah, tuition ain't going down.
Speaker 1: Jeff dominic can be extras in your movie.
Speaker 4: Oh, let's do it, man, you know what we should do. We do a movie on fantasy football.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, yeah, there you go.
Speaker 3: There you add Notre Dame add Notre Dame.
Speaker 1: Shack could be the quarterback camp.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, you would never get the ball. You would never get it'll never get there. Have you seen this man? This guy hands if you shook his hand, like his fingers would be like on your forearm like that.
Speaker 3: He can't. Have you seen him drink like a regular twelve ounce can? It is unbelievable man, Like.
Speaker 4: It looks like you know those those little bottles that you get in like Costco, the little bottles of water where it's like three ounce bottles. That's what he makes the twelve ounce look like like it is. It is crazy, how like big of a human being? This guy is?
Speaker 2: You know who you like in the Super Bowl? Kind of basic? And I don't want your old affiliation with the Niners when you look at it as a football player, you know who what do you like? Who do you like in the Super Bowl?
Speaker 4: I would think that San Francisco's defense should be up for the challenge like this is this is what you dream about, like you got no excuses. Patrick Mahomes is healthy, Travis Kelce is healthy. Like, let's let's go up against your best. Let's go let's let's let's go up against your best, your best and our best, and and let's see what happens. Like there's there's no greater feeling than taking down the big dog. Like they they they've won multiple Super Bowls. Now you got a chance to You can dictate the game. You could come around the edge and knock the ball out of Patrick Mahons's hands and you scoop it up and you score. You could intercept the ball. You could give him fits all that, just give him a game that he would want to forget.
Speaker 3: You have the power to do that.
Speaker 4: And this is a challenge for San Francisco's defense, and you gotta get up for that, like you gotta, like how I did, look at yourself in the mirror and say, let's let's.
Speaker 3: Go all out. Don't be that guy. Don't be Anthony Adams.
Speaker 4: Don't be me saying I was one game away or I got to the big dance and we couldn't actually dance after the game was over, Like, man, this is this is a huge challenge, man, and I would. I always love challenges, and I think that's why, you know, I played as long as I did, you know, because I was just a glutting for punishment and I just I wanted to be the best. But uh, this is a great opportunity for San Francisco's defense to, you know, take it upon themselves to say, hey, we're going to take over this game.
Speaker 2: Well that's your golden ticket. Jeane Wilder, so so much, do so little time Willie walk in the chocolate factory. That's what that line is from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I never saw that movie.
Speaker 3: Oh, get on.
Speaker 1: You know, it's not something i'd ever watch.
Speaker 2: Many cavities, Yeah, I have no cavities. I'm a chocolate guy. Football was my golden ticket.
Speaker 1: I love chocolate.
Speaker 2: But you know, oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: All right, random thought.
Speaker 4: Jeff, always follow the rules. That's just that's what it is.
Speaker 2: You are, right, number two pencil, No cavities, shoes shined, you know all.
Speaker 3: Make me sick, Jeff, Never make me sick.
Speaker 1: Never had a cigarette?
Speaker 3: You make me sick, Jeff.
Speaker 1: Random thought. This was from Anthony Adams this week. Is there anybody that sleeps with their socks? On and if so, why, why why that? And what kind of answers you getting.
Speaker 3: Tommy Hares sleeps IEA.
Speaker 1: I sleep on my shocks.
Speaker 2: And sometimes I have to get up in the middle of the night and take them out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't like cold feet.
Speaker 4: I think Tommy has some of the worst looking feet. Like between him and Shack is the worst song. I would imagine that he sleeps with his socks on. He has to, like for other people's safety.
Speaker 1: All right, one funny thing to ramp us up, and we gotta go and again. We are sponsored by several folks, including the good folks from Chunky Guacamole, Good Foods. Game day snacking calls for good foods. Chunky Guacamole, May with a has avocados, tomatoes, onions, silantro, when a squeeze of blme juice. It's the perfect snacks to watch while the Bears win. Score some today at your local grocery store because game day is guak day. All right, Take you back now to December twenty first, December twenty first, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: Do you remember that day? Will I remember?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: December twenty first, twenty twenty three. You were working you're working for the Bears and we are brought to you by Miller Lite. And you were in a Miller Light Holiday sweater and you were handing out Miller Light Holiday sweaters to the fellows as they were driving out on the circle. So this is the story, and I will tell you my version, because here's my version. I left the facility. I saw people gathered, and I kept zipping around the circle and I'm going home. I don't I'm not looking at anybody. I get a phone call time from Spice Adams. You naven see me? What Who's this is? Anthony? You never even saw it. You didn't stop. You just blew right by me. I was yelling at you. I go, I don't know what you're talking about. And he was offended. You could take it from there.
Speaker 2: You got the angry Jeff.
Speaker 1: I didn't see anybody. I didn't see you.
Speaker 4: I'm stopping everybody giving holiday cheer. I got like free sweaters, free swag that I'm giving out. That's all, that's all I'm doing. I wanted to give Jeff a sweater. See if Jeff will stopped. Well, of course we got the cameras there whatever, But this just hollyw they cheer. It's nothing like I'm not going to stop you and say, hey, what are we going to do against Green Bay? What are we going to do? And in the cover two defense, what are we going to do with the offense? Like, I'm not doing all of that. I'm just saying, hey, Marry Christmas, Happy New Year, here's a sweater, here's some some holiday cheer. I'm were singing songs all it's a great time. Were in the holiday spirit.
Speaker 1: Never seen Jeff.
Speaker 3: I see Jeff rolling up. I say, I know Jeff gonna stop from me.
Speaker 4: That's that's good, Hey, Jeff, jumpy job.
Speaker 3: He just kept crickets, crickets kept going.
Speaker 4: You see a big wide guy, the big black white guy out there, it's it's come on, it's it's it's me.
Speaker 1: It's not like you were flagging me down.
Speaker 5: He made eye contact with me. They eye contact time, correct me in my eye held it, gave me the head nod. He said, I didn't give you anything. I never saw you. I would have slammed down the brakes.
Speaker 3: Tom.
Speaker 1: He looked at that day that Miller holiday sweater looks sweet.
Speaker 3: It was nice you had one for you, but you better use one.
Speaker 2: Listen, I am the personality of the Bears. I need you to content make contact with me beforehand. If you want me.
Speaker 1: To stop in front of a camp right then I would have rolled up with a big smile on my face, make up.
Speaker 3: He would have.
Speaker 2: You know, you didn't have time to get his compact out?
Speaker 3: Well listen, who who else? I response about? Jeff? You got one more?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: No, Just to wrap us up, We're gonna close out right here.
Speaker 3: I thought I was gonna talk about chunckiy guacamole.
Speaker 1: No, no, not no, we're we're We've reached out, did you guacamole?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah?
Speaker 1: Love love it love I love. That's one of my favorites.
Speaker 3: You get cavities from guacamole.
Speaker 1: No, you can't anyway, Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: We could keep going and going on and going. You never know where it might take us. We didn't even scratch all the service.
Speaker 3: Of your career.
Speaker 1: But what a what a career it is. You got a great family, great wife, and I know Anthony Adams the third is heck of a football player over there at Stevenson. Because I found it interesting years ago you were asked about kids playing football and you said you weren't going to let your kid play.
Speaker 3: I didn't.
Speaker 4: I didn't want him to play. I know ultimately he was gonna play, and you know, I want him to like resent me and be like, oh, well you played, and how come I I can't play? Like realistically, I would rather play golf or something like that. If you're gonna play football, then come on, let's be the best.
Speaker 1: Maybe he and I can practice for that fantasy football camp. You can give me, he can give me a he would whip my tail. He whipped my tail.
Speaker 4: I don't want any of your unathletic ability to reb off on myself. All right, I'm going to look at you and say, this is easy.
Speaker 1: Nothing's easy. Nothing's easy. That's got to wrap us up. We thank you so much for episode fifty three, Anthony Adams, appreciate your time for Tom There and Spice. I'm Jeff Jonahaka. Thanks for listening. Please subscribe now in the Chicago Bears official app, Apple, Spotify, YouTube, or wherever you get your podcasts. Bear Down