Speaker 1: Warning warning.
Speaker 2: Today's episode contains spoilers for the current Marvel Deadpool series, as well as some of the Mark with the Mouth's previous appearances.
Speaker 1: Hello, I am not Jason Concepcion.
Speaker 2: I am Rosie Knight and welcome back to x ray Vision. This week is Deadpool Kills the X ray Universe, where luckily he doesn't kill us. But we are going to have one new episode every single day of the week, adding up to five episodes this week, all about Deadpool versus Wolverine. Today, it's just me and I'm talking to Cody Ziggler, the current Deadpool head writer and previous co founder of x ray Vision, one of the original hosts, and it's going to be a delightful chat about Depol's comic book history and about making comics with Cody Ziggler.
Speaker 1: Let's get into it.
Speaker 2: Cody Ziggler is one of the original hosts of Extra Vision and a superstar TV writer on shows like Futurama, Rick and Morty, and She Hulk.
Speaker 1: But that's not all.
Speaker 2: He's also a fantastic comic book writer behind the Smash It Spider Punk mini series and its sequel, which we love deeply. Here and he's the current, as we say in comics headwriter on Deadpool.
Speaker 1: How are you doing, zig?
Speaker 3: I am good. It's always a pleasure coming back in, Like just honestly talking about nerd stuff for an hour? Is that the best way to spend a Friday.
Speaker 1: Just so happy to have you back on here. So how have you been? I mean that's the first thing, Like, everyone who listens to this show knows you. So how's it going.
Speaker 3: I've been good, and as you can, as you sort of said, a little busy. The big thing that I did was like when the writer's trick was happening, I was like, I got nothing but free time. I'm going to sign up for all my favorite comic books. And then and then when the strike was settled, I was like, oh wow, I do all these and write for future. So I've been very busy for the past six months. But it's a great problem to have. And also I want to say congrats to you, like I've been loving the Godzilla stuff you've been putting out, Like it's been so fun.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. That means a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very excited I have that we've got that first Godzilla Kids graphic novel coming out soon in August, so that's going to be rad. And yeah, I'm feeling very excited. You know, we're very lucky to get to do this, to get to two stories in this space. I mean, I was stoked because I saw all those crazy the Godzilla like crossover Marvel covers. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Pilla Venom and stuff. So yeah, it's been a good time. So this is our week. We're doing a week of all Deadpool and Wolverine coverage. We're gonna have a new episode every single day, and having you here is a.
Speaker 1: Big part of that.
Speaker 2: So I would just start by asking you, like, what's your first memory of Deadpool?
Speaker 1: Like coming across Deadpool?
Speaker 3: My first memory of Deadpool was I think. I mean, I think it's like everyone's like I saw the panel where he does sure you can on some random characters like hey, you ever played street Fighter? And they're like what and then he does like a street Fighter cont. I was like, what the hell is this? And then when I was in college, I was very broke, but I found I found online through a various bay full of pirates, every every single issue that Deadpool had been up until that point. So up until like twenty I'm like I guess twenty thirteen, twenty twelve, so like his original run, like his random weird cameo when like a Batman Superman story where like we're like Slade Wilson is there and like Wade Wilson shows up like truly everything. I was like, oh, this is great, Like I've never read I didn't know combooks could be like funny, So like he was super funny. Like also like he had heart like his earlier nineties stuff when he was you know, when Rob Leifeld was doing him, it was like very like nineties, very grady pouches everywhere, a lot of like huge cool guns. So like seeing his transition from that to like, oh he can be like a comedic character. Yeah, and then seeing how he was used in other books, like I always talk about the I believe It's X Force.
Speaker 1: Can we talk about that one?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, it's so good. It's so cool, like you get to serve both worlds for like where like there's a point where they're on the moon as it happens and like Angel has been ravaged with this special mutant power that makes him like basically started death. So Deadpool is like slicing off that part of feed Them. It's so funny. And then at the end of it you realize that Deadpool hasn't really been cashing any checks because he's been doing this for like the good reason he never wanted to cook. It's like just everything I loved all that, So, like, I just love Deadpool and like Cable and Deadpool was like my absolute favorite series. Yeah, I was like I didn't know you could do. It was just everything I wanted. A character, combo character like he had. He was like Spider Man but also like he had guns and he had like really really weird fourth wall breaking jokes, which I've never seen in comics before either up until like you know, a little bit of she Hulk.
Speaker 2: Oh, that was definitely I think that was really like, yeah, she Hulk, and then Deadpool kind of took it to that next level.
Speaker 1: I mean that Uncanny Exoss book.
Speaker 2: We had pretty Chibber on your your Marvel colleague, who is also just so wonderful, and that was one that me and her and Jason all brought up, like Rickrimmender, Jerome Apena, that is just it's up there with like Grant Morrison and Frank Quietly's New Eca and like it's so weird, it's so good, and that same scene him, it's a perfect mix of like the gritty and the hilarious. Yeah you know, which is kind of what I think Deadpool does so well. I think we touched on this, but as like, now you're in this really interesting position as a creator and a fan and just like a massive nerd like me, what do you think it is that makes people like Deadpool, especially like see because that his fantom's grown so much since the movies came out?
Speaker 1: But what is it? What are those touch points that people love?
Speaker 3: I think one, they like the comedy aspect of it. But he's also such a unique character, I think at Marvel, because there's no one really else like him, Like, yeah, you have characters that you have tons of mercenary characters and tons of like you know, gun for higher characters, but like you know, there's really no one else that does what he does. And also his stories spans such a different vast type of storytelling that you have like the gritty, you know, nineties sort of like neo noir type stories, and you have like the sort of like slapsticky like oh, I love Chimmy Chong's which is like the whole thing, but he's also a good I think I was thinking about this today before starting the unitew like he's such a good utility character, like, oh yeah, he can plug so many different things that you need in a team. I think that's why he really thrives in like team books, like particularly in books that aren't Deadpool, because you can see like, yeah, he could be like the funny guy, but he can also be like the heart of the team. And like you know, Marvel has like Pillars of the Marvel, which I think is Spider Man, I think the Fantastic four X Men, X Men Captain America, and I think Deadpool sort of rides as like that four of fourth pillar for like Marvel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would agree, it's kind of interesting.
Speaker 2: He kind of him and Halloquin kind of fill this interesting space because that was like it used to always be that the trinity at DC was you know, Wonder Woman, Superman, and Batman. But then around like ten years ago they started saying, well, the fourth pillar is Harley Quinn because like people love her so much.
Speaker 1: She's so weird. People cause players her and in a weird way.
Speaker 2: I guess Deadpool kind of has that, yeah, that similar vibe because it's like you said, he can just be plugged in anywhere.
Speaker 3: That just reminded me that, you know, Harley's also like a newer character, like she creates to him, and like Deadpool's been around for a while, but like he wasn't really popular until, like from my perspective, until like the Deadpool movie, So like, yeah, you had a character that's been around for a while and then you're like, oh, I like this character, but like now you see people with like the Deadpool logo or like m he's in like tons of video games and like that's sort of the same energy I get from from Harley Quinn, which is like, yeah, she's like on the posters now, like she's like, if you want to sell a DC movie, like you need to have not just a joker, Like people don't really care about the joke anymore, Like you want to see Harley Quinn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, no, you're so, you're so right because New Mutant's ninety eight first appearance Fabian the Cheezer and brob Leifeld, right, and you're right like that also, people will be surprised because when you read that he's like a super villain. He's definitely in that Slade Wilson mold. He's like, he's very gritty, the artist super abstract. But the version we know is really like the Daniel Way version where like he's cracking jokes, or the Jerry Duggan version.
Speaker 1: There's so many different creators, so he definitely.
Speaker 2: Fills that slot of like a comedic new character.
Speaker 1: I mean, he was so the movie.
Speaker 2: I think they had a feeling, even though they always say they're not sure if it was gonna make money, but they reprinted New Mutant's ninety eight when I was working at the comic shop, which was in the lead up to the Deadpool movie, and I just so distinctly remember how everyone wanted that reprint. It was one of the Duller Marvel reprints, but everyone needed to have it, and ironically they were right. I mean we used to laugh because we'd be like, guys, it's not gonna be worth any money. But ironically now they actually sell those reprints as collectible, so I was wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people yearned for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they they yearned to touch, and number one, you know I understand the people. Yeah, people love to touch a valuable comic. Also I actually didn't know this till I was prepping for this. But in the cable Depool series that you were talking about, which is I definitely think like very distinct moment for them both, he actually like refers to himself as like Ryan Reynolds crossed with a Sharpei.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you set up.
Speaker 2: That kind of like Nick Fury esque yeah, yeah, situation there where it suddenly becomes like you're you're making.
Speaker 3: You're like manifesting, manifesting who you want to Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then I guess it was only a year later, Like we were talking about kind of the long history of Deadpool in another episode, and I think it was like a year later that Bryan Reynolds met Avi rad for the first time Deadpool.
Speaker 1: So it really did manifest it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Even like the how that movie came about is so crazy and like it was in development hell forever. I remember reading the original script with like most of it was there, but like that third act was completely different, and then they were just like, oh no, we leaked this test footage, which is like.
Speaker 4: I know, make who could have leaked it? And now everybody loves the movie.
Speaker 2: Okay, So you are in a really interesting position because you mentioned this, Like, so in the nineties, he's kind of like a weird character.
Speaker 1: He's one of those characters where people are.
Speaker 2: Like, he has no feet, rob Ifelk, can't ri your feet, Like he's like a cult character. Then the movie happens. Before that, you've had some like distinct Deadpool runs like Daniel Way's round, different people who've given him that voice. But then you know, now the movie comes out.
Speaker 1: One movie comes.
Speaker 2: Out huge smash it, second movie comes out huge slash it, leading into this third movie, which we know everyone's very excited about because it brings back Hu Jackmin. It's, well, what does it feel like to be writing Deadpool at the time where he is one of those pillar characters. This isn't a cult character anymore, Like how did it feel approaching that?
Speaker 3: It was a little bit surreal because you know, I don't know if you feel the same way, But I don't even think about that, like you forget oh me neither.
Speaker 1: When I write Godzilla, I'm just like, this is just my little story.
Speaker 2: He's like, it's a seventieth anniversary and he's like a hugely poppy like characters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, tell me some movies come out last year like that's how big he is?
Speaker 4: Why an Oscar?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's It's one of those things where like you forget how big it is because like I grew up again, like when when Deadpool wasn't like huge, like he was like a character that Marvel had, but like it was before like the MCU was a thing, so like, yeah, no one really was like super into comic book characters outside of like maybe spider Man and the Fantastic Four, like maybe the whole, but like no one was like Clamoran for like four or like or like Black Widow or like especially like Deadpool, so you could get away with a bunch of stuff. So like that was that was kind of like my mindset going into it. And then as I'm like writing the book, You'm like looking around my apartment and say like, oh, there's like a Deadpool game I have, or like yeah, there's like you know the Deep.
Speaker 2: Bluid talking about that suit as well, because I feel like people don't really know, they don't remember the Deadpool game, but I feel like it was like a secretly big deal when it came out.
Speaker 1: Like if you see when it came out, you were like, oh, I go.
Speaker 3: To play this like yeah, because like you were like, there's no reality in which you thought Deadpool was going to get his own games as well. But writing the comic, it was like as I was like writing it, and like once the first couple of issues came out and you're like, wow, people like I didn't realize, like how that Pool seems so much bigger now that he was I guess fifteen years ago when I was like first reading him. So like you have like people that are cosplaying him, people that are into like his deep lore now, like thing that I thought was going to be fun to bring back was like one of his daughters, Ellie. Yeah, And like just seeing the response from that, people like finally Ellie's coming back, and like, oh wow, I didn't I didn't realize that people love the Dugan and Brian Posaye run.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, I think for some people that's the definitive run that gave him that voice, which is funny because it's so far off that he was bought like kind of created, But yeah, that is definitely.
Speaker 1: One of those ones.
Speaker 2: And also so something really unique that I found out when I was working at the comic shop. They obviously knew Deadpool was a character that was selling, so they started putting out these like telephone sized collections of like Deadpool classics. It's really funny because it's like I was working at the comic shop. I on a twenty sixteen or twenty fifteen, right, and some of those books had only come out like three years ago, so we were all cracking up on them, like is this a classic?
Speaker 1: Is this a classic?
Speaker 2: But actually that meant that for a lot of people who saw the movie and wanted to buy Deport, it wasn't like, oh, this book's out of print, they could go into a comic shop and just pick up one of these volumes. And I think that the dug And one was definitely one of those ones. And I think it enabled Deppo to have this really unique fan base of people who are actually exceptionally well read in his law and kind of in his history and these kind of like you think things that are you think are kind of oh, this is just something I thought was cool, and then people are like.
Speaker 1: Na, man, like we needed Ellen a back, like Ellie come back. Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was yeah. And also I remember being really that was sort of when I think right towards the telling, when I stopped having a lot of free time to read because I was a graduating college like, no, I'm gonna be broke for a living bit. But I remember being really invested in the Brian Pussain run because he was a comedian. Oh wow, ye write comics, So I knew it was gonna be like because I love Mister Show and.
Speaker 1: Like all that stuff, so like I mean so good.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think that that was like sort of around the air where they started like sort of taking in comedic people and like having them writ in the comics. And I think that's when Also, like I think it also helped Deadpool sort of solidify his voice for that era of Deadpool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so completely, Like you know, Daniel Way gave him that third voice in his head. But I think that a lot of what we really know comes, especially like the Chimney changa s. Yeah, let's just like I'm gonna eat this delicious Mexican food and then like chop off my own arm.
Speaker 1: You know, there's not enough topics or as the kind.
Speaker 2: Of wild stuff that Pool's lays day. You know, people love it, there's an unexpected love. But did you feel like there's a lot of freedom writing the character because it's just like suck a wild character.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had Surprisingly, there's like sort of two answers like this, there's a lot of freedom because the character has been around for a while, but because he sort of built in with like, oh he's like crazy, he has voices. He like you don't know what's real and what's not real. Like you've had some freedom with that. Also because I had that, like I read like fifteen twenty years of Deadpool, like that's where my inspiration come from. So like I pulled from that. Actually, when I was writing it, I was I didn't know that they had gotten rid of the third voice. So like one of my first notes in the editor was like, hey, we haven't done this in like ten years. So I was like, oh, I guess that's how out of out of it I am.
Speaker 1: By you know, like that's my error of dead poot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I need the three caption boxes to really make it sing. But I found that I had a lot of freedom, Like I said, this is what I wanted to do, Like I love Alyssa Wong's run a letter that they just made a mom com for yeah, ten twelve issues, however long it was. I thought that was cool. So like I was like, yeah, I want to do like, you know, a an off of comedy with Deadpool in his two kids. And you know, it's like, oh, yeah, that sounds fun. So like I think also because again Deadpool has been around for a while, like he has relationships with people like that Gel Simone run where like Agent X or whatever takes over the Deadpool run a road task Master. I can't remember who takes over, but I was like, oh, he has relationships like it made it easy to like sort of do that. So, like you know, I was I was actually surprised at a character that big had that much freedom when it came to like doing all I want to do with this story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: And I think that in a way, it's kind of funny because people do we do when we think of Deadpool, like we think of the wild stuff and yeah, the gross stuff. Batch you you make a really good point, and I think this is something the movies translated really well. There's actually like a lot of heart, and it's actually about how when you're this kind of weird immortal like constantly yeah, you know, your body's constantly making new cells and kind of living in this life but you live for such a long time, of course you're going to have important relationships. Yeah, Like the humanity is actually really vital, Yeah, to kind of keep alive when you're so infinitely overpowered.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And also it comes back to like again my favorite scene from almost any Deadpool stories that the uncunny X Men were like mm hm. Wolverine is like, you're we know what you are. You're a bad person, Like you're only in this for the money, Like why you pretend to have a soul, And He's like, no, I do bad things. I never I've never made any illusions to otherwise, but like these this is the line that I draw on the sand, which is like in this book like killing kids and I'm never going to do it. And like, once Deadpool leaves, you realize that he has never cash any checks for those missions because he wasn't about it for the money. He was trying to save this kid. And like, oh that's what I like. I like that duality of Deadpool. Like yeah, I think I like the idea of like you know, the quote unquote sad clown like that to me is very interesting as a character. And like, I think there's a lot of stuff you can mind from that when you're writing it.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: And I think that's part of the reason why your iteration of Deadpool's been like very well received, because even like subtly the first Deadpool movie especially, it definitely plays on that. Yeah, he's definitely that sad kind. Also, he always wants to help a kid.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he's got like a teen you know, I still am so grateful. If there's one thing I'm most grateful for for the dead Pool movies, it's probably their version of Negasonic teenage. She's just so utterly fantastic and like that definitely comes from that space of oh, like he's a found family guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like his life's so messed up, like he needs this funny found family.
Speaker 1: I guess. Actually that's something you know.
Speaker 2: You did so well with Spider Punk and the band and everything. It's something you're coming back to here, even though.
Speaker 1: It's like his real family.
Speaker 2: But also could you talk a little bit about found family stories and kind of why they're so appealing to us in general?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I don't know, I've never thought of like the deep seated reason, but now you're instead of singing. I think it's I mean, I don't know, Like I have a lot of friends that mean a lot to me.
Speaker 2: Right, that's kind of I feel like our generation, it's like it's something we can relate to because we have found families, Yeah, friendship groups as we grow older.
Speaker 1: We are in them that way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like we're constant communication. Like I have at least three group chats where I maybe haven't seen some of these people in years, but like we literally talk every single day and I've talked every single day four years. So like I think that that's not a unique experience to me, and I think that's something that a lot of people have. And I think also like, yeah, there was a lot of power being like you know, sometimes you're not dealt good family members. So being able to like have the choice and the agency to choose those people that you surround you with. I think it's also, like, you know, a very powerful thing. And like I think, particularly when you're that age, in the age of like someone like young teenager, like being able to surround yourself with the people that you want to Yeah, it's like one of the most powerful feelings in the world. And also like you can like let your freak flag fly and like that's that's part of the fun, like warts and all, Like particularly with Wade, who was full of warts and all, so like being able to be himself around people, I think is something that he really much admires. And I think that's something that just happened to like writing in books.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you're so right actually, because I was just thinking about this is like that there's something about moving outside of like the traditional you know, family set up, though honestly we are not necessarily people who are just like writing about a nuclear family anyway, but like I'm thinking about that too. Like with Montst Island Summer Camp. I was literally just on a different podcast like before this, with some really rad librarians called Turn the Page, but talking about like where did the idea for these characters come from?
Speaker 1: And what do you do?
Speaker 2: And that's a because it's set in a summer camp. There's no parents, and it's about these three kids who end up making this connection and you kind of build that relationship and you want to give them those moments of like that they're going to remember forever, they're going to kind of like define them for the rest of their lives. Those important kind of rad memories that you have with these friends that you make, And I think there is a definite freedom to just being like, well, you can put three totally different characters together and get to write three totally different people and then just kind of imagine how they would exist in this space, in this case, like a summer camp that's on Monster.
Speaker 1: Island or in your case, the Marvel universe with Dimple. But there's also it's not just because.
Speaker 2: It's like relatable, because I feel that like my friendship group is my family.
Speaker 1: I love them so much.
Speaker 2: But also I think as right as it is, there's a certain amount of freedom to just saying like, well, what if these three people met and like, yeah, if I wanted to make them happy, yeah, and that it's it's important you know.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 2: I guess when you were coming up with this idea for your Deadpool story, how did you kind of go about making those choices to kind of build this little family around him for this workplace comedy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I knew. I definitely, like I loved Princess from the previous run. I love Valentine too, but that was the only thing. More was like, well, let's we just sort of had this like love story, let's have something a little bit different. So I was like, okay, i'll do that. I'll take that note, but like a lot of princess like and I also loved Ellie, Like I love the idea of like this other daughter character that like is out there and like she presumably will have powers, which she ended up developing it. So I was like, yeah, it'd be fun to like watch Deadpool be two different types of dad, like a dad to like a weird symbio wolf daughter into like a daughter. And you know, I like the idea of like I think we've seen this in so many different types of comics, for like you know, father with the dark passes like I can't let you be a part of this world, but here's my here's my card, or here's my phone or whatever, and like you just sort of the kid just like waits around forever to be contacted. So like I like the idea of taking that and sort of subverting it and have her being like no, fuck that, Like I'm not going to be a damsel on the stress to my own dad. That's crazy. So like I like the idea of her making him be a father, which like fun to me. And then having that just set like an office place where like he's a not only a bad boss, but also he's trying to be a good dad. Seemed like very fun to me.
Speaker 1: That's really good bad boss, good dad. That's the T shirt.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I love this idea of kind of like the Doors of Deadpool.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like Doors in the Dragon. I'm like, that's the next spinoff. So what was it like? Your books are always like full of humila.
Speaker 2: I remember the time I read spider Punk number one and I was just like screaming, as you know, a cool thirty something year old who used to be like a punk. I was like, Oh, this is like so designed towards me. What was it like bringing now, like years later and you've written on Futurama sheehol Grick and Morty, like you've got this huge roster now of experience as a TV writer on comedies, on really high profile shows. Did you feel like that gave you like more insight into how to write a funny comic?
Speaker 3: Yeah, one thousand percent. Yeah, well yeah absolutely, because all those rooms were so different. She York was probably maybe the closer one to one because it was based off also a similar sort of comedy comic. But yeah, like I think the swimming that you learn when you're in TV shows because it's I guess it's not too dissimilar from comic book universes, is that, like you have a bunch of characters, particularly shows like Futurama that's been on forever, like, so every character has a very specific voice, so it's sort of you sort of get trained to tap into like a voice like oh, Wade probably talks like this task Master is gonna be this type of character, and Ellie and Princess will be like this distant character. But also I think as I've gotten more experience in shows, like I think also that's how I've sort of learned to lean more into like the drama or the character of it all. Like I think, particularly in Rick and Morty, they would always talk about like this, like seventy thirty split with like seventy percent comedy thirty percent drama, which is how you can get an episode where you know, Rick turns himself into a pickle, he makes a Mex suit out of like rats, and like he fights like Danny Trejo. But then at the end you just have a very real, grounded scene between family and their therapist or a show like Game of Thrones, which is like maybe abris drama, but like Cheering is such a funny Like there's so many funny scenes, like about once a week, I'll rewatch the scene where Chierran confronts Jeoffrey and like the town has been like they've been mutinating, Like he just slaps the kid. He's like, that's my hand and fult from my wrist. Like all that stuff is like so funny, or like Breaking Back and there's super funny show. It's like I think part of it was just like sort of finding that balance, so like I really go towards character stuff now, like I like exploring who Deadpool is and then getting your jokes in when you can. But like I think all of it's more just based off like character stuff, and like the funny just happens to like flow from that because we're surrounded by a bunch of bizarre characters.
Speaker 2: No, I feel that I actually think it's really interesting to go into those comedy series and then you come out and you're like, actually it's all about character, baby. You're like that's why they can do it. But you make so much sense. I mean everyone has their favorite Futurama Rick and Morty episode where you're like, oh, this is my favorite because it's like deeply haunting.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Actually it's like, yeah.
Speaker 1: Stuck with me for so many years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean everyone told you know, with Rick and Morty, I think a lot about like mister me Si. Yeah, you know, everyone brings up because my niece and.
Speaker 1: Nephew love it because obviously kids watch.
Speaker 2: Rick and Morty thanks to the Internet and like, but as my nephew gets older, he started to like understand.
Speaker 1: How bleak it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just this funny thing.
Speaker 2: It's actually like this deeply existential, like grim thing.
Speaker 1: And I think that's that thing that comes from, you know, writing character.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can balance these like laugh out loud moments, and I think that makes so much sense as to why your Deadpool feels so whole simple is actually incredibly haunting character. Yeah, Like if you really lay it all out, it's just completely yeah, ridiculous and grotesque, but actually so often you still get those moments that hit you and make you care about Wade.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's who's the Ito was a Prometheus that was tied to the rock.
Speaker 2: For GIVINGTHEUS and just cutting the lunge, Tommy's getting it.
Speaker 3: And everything, Like I think that's sort of Deadpool. Is this mix of like Prometheus and like Sissyphis, where like he's in constant like literally a constant state of decay and regeneration, and at some point he was like curse where like he could never die, so like the whole universe will die. It's like just very interesting, like sort of I mean, I sound like such a pretentious like writer now, but like something je could you know that really resonatd No.
Speaker 1: But we do always say like and this is not just us, you know, people like Mike Kerry, like there's fantastic creatives.
Speaker 2: It might sound like ostentatious or pretentious whatever, but there is a version of the world. I went to a comic book class taught by Mike Kerry years ago in London, and like he said, you know, there's a version of the world where in two thousand years somebody finds like a full collection of the X Men, right that something, and they're like, whoa, this is like sixty seventy eighty years of storytelling, and so they assume that those are like myths of our time. Oh yeah, yeah, they don't necessarily have the context. So even though the whole idea of like these are our gods, like we kind of sometimes we rag on it or we laugh about how pretentious.
Speaker 1: It is in a way.
Speaker 2: You know, these are stories that we've been telling for eighty years, and that's that does have like an impact on you know, how people will see us in the future or what kind of stories we're telling. You know, there's a reason that these stories are so analogous. So I think that you should you should keep that one in your pocket. This is the first Prometheus combo.
Speaker 1: That's a good one.
Speaker 2: I'm like, that'll be poll quoting you on that because it's true. And also like he is always on some like unending mission to prove that he's like a good person, but it doesn't really matter that he has work that he's not like awful, And that's.
Speaker 1: Really I think relatable for all of us.
Speaker 3: All Right, So Rosie gave me the coat sign I'm going in with that now, that's my new go in, go in.
Speaker 4: That's that's it's happening, you'll be saying, and like every interviews, like emailing you, they're like please something.
Speaker 5: Pick a new Greek theater or icon plete.
Speaker 2: Okay, So as a person who loves hip hop and like weird shit, I have to and your music stuff that you build into comics is always so great. So I did want to ask you, aut you know death Grip? Yeah, and I know that is like there is an old Marvel character called death Grip, but like what about your version of death Grip?
Speaker 1: And also do you love death Grips?
Speaker 2: Like I just want to could you talk a little bit about your villain creation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I you know, I love the concept of death Grip. Like some of their songs I can get into, So I mean they're not the easiest man to get into, but like I love I love what they're about, and I like their front Yeah, I love their vibes. Are you know no notes in their vibes? Death Grip was sort of born out of like a lot of I always found villains for characters, like particularly like Deadpool or Punisher, where they can like just straight up kill their bad guys. Is always very interesting because they never really stick around, Like there aren't like a lot of Punisher rogue galleries because he just looked forty five in the between their eyes and they're done, like you know, and like even like earlier Deadpool stuff with like was it t Ray and Francis and all those guys, like they stuck around for a while, but eventually like he just kills them. So like, yeah, I thought it'd be fun to like take a care that sort of is upsets with death. Also, I was watching a lot of avatars. I was like, I love the idea, like a miss. I like the idea that they combined like magic with like just martial arts, like a guy that My whole idea was like, this is a guy that maybe he he went to like two years of like magic school for like you know, the comotage or whatever the version of that is. And he was like, you know, this isn't for me. I'm not built for this, but I am really good at martial arts. They gonna make my own.
Speaker 2: I've got like mild commentage magic martial art.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I'm gonna build a cold around this. So like that's where it came from, like a guy that I think looked cool, had fun powers, and also that it's this weird line between like you don't want him to be disposable, but like you, I don't think you want to hinge Like twenty four issues on like this one, like don't, I don't. I think it's very rare. For what I mean I'm saying is like I don't know if Deadpool is going to have like a green goblin.
Speaker 1: Or Yeah, it's odd because of the nature of Deadpool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's like I think a lot of his demons have to be internal, So like death Grip was a fun way to sort of play with that with like a character that's like maybe quasi immortal, but also so he does magic, and like it's always fun seeing people do like funning like weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he doesn't want to see cool hand signs in the Marvel universe.
Speaker 3: That's like yeah, yeah, so like that's where he came from, and he just sort of gets us into having more staple Marvel villain show up later, which I think is also really fun, like I'll have a big Goofy villain, and death Grip I think is an inch way into like Goofy.
Speaker 2: Marvel Magic is a great opening attle to that kind of stuff. Also, I just I love that he's called death Grip because I think a lot about the picture that it's like Beyonce death.
Speaker 1: Grips and Robert Pattinson and it's like just.
Speaker 2: This absolutely unsettling wild Why does this exist? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, and I feel like that channels a lot of Deathpool energy. Yeah well yeah, so Zig it was so wonderful to have you here. We're going to do one more little bit. But first, where can people find you? Where can they follow you? Do you have anything else you want to plug?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, check me out on Instagram if you want to see mostly pictures of comic book stuff, because I think it's really cool to get art in. That's where. That's where you'll find me.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, shout out your Deadpool lowed a terrible thing I've messed.
Speaker 3: Oh no, yeah, so Oj is fantastic. He's every email is like very affectionate, very loving and like like this is the cool thing I've ever seen, or like I want to draw this. So he's very very fun. I love working with him. I love the whole team in general. The big fun thing have coming out this year is my first creator own graphic novel yeah called Goobers from Vault Comics, Hard Comedy. Thank you. It's very fun. It was very fun to write, very fun to see the pages out, and I think it turned out pretty fun, which I'm excited about. So check those things out and you know, follow me on Instagram at Yafer Zig.
Speaker 1: Whoo, doude follow Zig. He's very fun. Okay.
Speaker 2: We love to finish every episode with a fast moving segment. So today we're gonna do Who's Who, and it's going to be me and Zig talking about our favorite Deadpool variants, which if you don't know, Deadpool has, like there's a lot of Pools. Yeah, and you know you're gonna get to see a few of them in the movie. I'm gonna go because I am as predictable as ever. I'm gonna go with Deadpool Dinosaur slash Dinosaur Deadpool because it's it's like a t Rex but who has all of Deadpool's powers and I just love dinosaurs. I also want to give a shout out to Headpool.
Speaker 3: Yeah it's just a head.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those are two of my favorites.
Speaker 3: I want to give a shout out to dog Pool, of course, who is oh very famously. Yeah, he's the legend. He did he did a lot for the community, the lot of dog Deadpool community also one that seems sort of anthethetical to the dead Pool idea. Maybe it's not is kid Pool? Like, I love the idea that little mini.
Speaker 1: Dead always makes me laugh.
Speaker 4: I'm like, sure the evil I would love to read like a kick cass level like R rated comic.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe now we're doing them with the kind of blood Hunt variants you know, yeah, man variants, maybe we could get a little kid Pool going around killing everyone.
Speaker 1: Wonderful.
Speaker 2: Thank you again, Zig, so great to have you here. So stoke for Goober has definitely come back and talk to us.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, I'll definitely send you a copy. I think you'll really dig it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't wait.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining us for our Deadpool and Wolverine week and now get out there and see the movie and Saturday morning, after you've watched the movie on opening night, which I'm sure you will, make sure to come back and listen to our reaction on dead Pool and Wolverine, and we'll be back to our regularly schedule programming Tuesday with our House of the Dragon season two episode seven recap with Me and your favorite Master, Jason bye x.
Speaker 6: Ray Vision is hosted by Jason Ecepsion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart podcasts Our executive producers are Joelle Smith and Aaron Kaufman. Our supervising producer is a Boo Zafar. Our producers are Carmen Laurent and Mea Taylor. Our theme song is by Brian Basquez.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin and Chris Lord. Kenny Goodman and Heidi are Discord moderator