Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys. Are you ready for a Break? Yes? Are you ready for a break? Absolutely ready for a break? Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with Mbar Garcia, Brian brought us, Nick Harris and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 3: Hey, guys, welcome back to another episode of The Break live from s WBC, and we are here presented by Lgo led Evil, the.
Speaker 4: Best TV in the game, And right now I'm here with Brian and Nick. Derek is gonna join us in a little bit, but he'll be back to join us here today.
Speaker 2: Exciting.
Speaker 5: Yes, you guys were watching last week, you may have heard that me and Ambar were in the middle of a trade negotiation. She did not end up accepting that trade. Had she accepted that trade, she would have won her fantasy matchup.
Speaker 6: That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 4: What's wild is that I lost by four points. So yeah, sure, you're right what I battle in that game.
Speaker 6: Somebody won this week.
Speaker 4: Good for you. It's just Kyle's team.
Speaker 2: Sometimes sometimes the trades you don't make are the best.
Speaker 6: Trades or the ones you think about for the rest of time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there's h I remember one time there was a player here and he might listen because I think he still might be local. This guy named James Whalen. It was a tight end here and uh I called the since A. We were trying to move him, and I called the Cincinnati Bengals and they they're like, hey, would you be interested in James Whalen And They're like, yeah, we'd like to kind of move TJ. Housman Zada, who was a wide receiver well for the Bengals, And so I'm like, he was.
Speaker 6: My flight back from Mobile last year. He was Dallas too.
Speaker 2: Does he living Dallas? He might be listening as well. But the thing about it was, it's funny because Jim Lippicott, who was the director of player personnel for the Bengals, I'm like, I was too anxious. I was too anxious on the trade. Like when he said, hey, would you take t. J. Husseman's out, I said, Jim, you want to hand in the papers you want me to And I did it without even talking to Stephen and Jerry. They just gave me the go ahead to make a trade, and I just I learned that day. I was too anxious because t J. Husseman's out. It turned out to be a pretty good football player after that, and and but I was too like I saw how Ambar was slow playing the other day, and I was thinking, Ambar's doing this the right way, because if it was me, I would have immediately taken the trade.
Speaker 4: And I went through a rollercoaster of emotion. Initially, I'm like, ohn, hold on, let me look at this. And then I started I looked out your trade proposal, and I was like, oh, okay, I'll take it. But then I took a step back. I'm like, well, hold on, yeah, and then I started thinking more. So It's just like one of those things that one I got to stommarch. I'm okay with my decision, by the way, but I could never do that actual job what they do there, because it's just you just get tooing your head and thinking of every outcome. You're like, oh my god, am I doing this right? I'm or not? Do I take this gamble? Do I not? Are you screwing me?
Speaker 7: Over?
Speaker 2: See? That's what happened. That's what happened with its Cincinnati because when I told Lippicott that I go, do you want me to hand in the papers or do you want to do it? And he goes, well, hey, let me let me think about this for a second. Let me think and I'll get back to you. He called the next day and said, nah, we're not going to do it, but thank you.
Speaker 6: You know, Hushmnzata could have been here.
Speaker 2: Tj husse Manzata could have been here. I had traded for James Whalen, who was a tight end, have a backup tight end, you know, you know, it would have been like a third tight end for this crew right here. And and yeah, but you know they said the Jones just said, hey, you know, let's see if we could get something for Aames Whalen. And I, you know, so I got on the phone and start calling people in Cincinnati's the one team you never call because they they don't do anything. They have a history of not like I call up to you know, I used to call up with with Jim was there, Jimlipacott. And then you know, and then also Duke Tobin took it over, you know, running the personnel department, and I would like, hey, Duke, it's Brian and Dallas. Hey, Brian, how's it going great, Just calling to make sure everything's good with you. Yeah, everything's fine, Thanks for calling, Okay, take care. And I wouldn't talk to him until the next year because you knew that. You know, there's some teams that were super aggressive with with the way they traded, and you could kind of like guy less Snead when less Sneed was, he's now with the Rams. Less Need's famously his the FOS picks guy. He's got the T shirt at the super Boy wore f M picks. You know, he was a guy he didn't care. You know, he would trade. He you know, you could get on him on the phone and like you'd make a trade. He's like who else you got? Got anybody else? You know, and you're like, yeah, I think we're good here. Lest Let's yeah, I'll call you back.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: But but you do think about it. You do think about it when you're on the front. We know, when you're making deals because you you wonder, gosh, is that guy gonna go and see I'm not gonna lie. I looked up and saw what Phillips did the other day for Buffalo, you know, and that and just youd want to take a guess how he played in that game the other day for Buffalo against the Indianapolis Cults.
Speaker 6: I honestly could not even guess.
Speaker 2: Two tackles, one pressure.
Speaker 6: Yeah you played, but how many snaps he played?
Speaker 2: It was over twenty snaps, Like twenty five snaps. See that's I'm saying. You know, you may sometimes you make trades and it works out, and then then you trade a guy away and then the next you know, he's playing like a he's playing great for them.
Speaker 4: Sometimes you never know. Next here you might we might be sitting here and you're like, man, I was so wrong about that Jonathan Mingle, guy, they actually got this one right. Well, yeah, you never know.
Speaker 2: You never know. But see that's the thing with Ward. You know, the corner for San Francisco. You know they traded Tivis Ward when they Travarious Ward when they and you know, and I remember Amber, were you with us. We were playing a preseason game in Houston and we were it was down it was the last preseason game and we pull him out of the lineup. We see him get pulled out of the lineup because he's going to get traded. So he's given everybody a hug on the sidelines. Hey give trade for a guard from Kansas City that never played a down here, and he goes on and has has just an incredible career with Kansas City and now with the San Francisco forty nine ers. And sometimes you just you just just hang your head when things like that happen. You know, you make a deal. So sorry, that was trade talk there for about seven hours.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was story.
Speaker 4: Well, the funny thing is, like those trades actually matter what we're doing on this fantasy Like it's so mad, literally no, but we literally he's mad, right because you're a draft guy too and you're into that. I'm more like, I don't know, I'm just like, nah, I'm not giving you my quarterback.
Speaker 2: By the way, the seven guys already.
Speaker 6: Oh, let's go right here, right here, we're starting.
Speaker 2: We're on the run.
Speaker 4: All right. Well, let's talk about some of the latest news. And this is something we are we have already been hearing about when it comes to Dak in his situation. It turns out that it has been confirmed that he will be undergoing the surgery and he's gonna that's gonna put him out for the rest of the season, he's gonna be moved to I r my question here for you guys. One. I've seen people getting really upset about this and just panicking and everything and what this could potentially mean for the future. Obviously we don't know until we get there. But does this surgery and being out for the rest of the season, will it mentally affect him next year as far as like this happened right on the play on the day they claim it wasn't that specific play of him running, but mentally from a guy that we've been asking to run and that's something that was missing in his game. Do you think this will or could affect him in the future and how he operates that's the quarterback.
Speaker 5: I think it's something that you know, definitely have to ask whenever he's he's done with his recovery, because the mental aspect of it doesn't really kick in until you're on your back for six weeks and you have to you can't walk for six weeks or however long it's going to be for Dak I think for him though this is his fourth surgery that he's going to go through as as a member of the Cowboys, he had that dislocated ankle, and coming back from that, I think that was.
Speaker 6: More of a mental challenge than anything.
Speaker 5: He's had surgery on his shoulder, He's had surgery on his right thumb. Now he's gonna have surgery on this on this hamstring. So he's been through this before, and the ankle was obviously a lot worse, and I think it would I would assume it would be a lot worse mentally, But I think that's something that we look up after this four month recovery for Dak, which should have him ready to go by OTAs. I think whenever he comes around to OTAs, that's probably the question that you ask is like, Okay, how does this affect.
Speaker 6: Your running style going forward?
Speaker 5: Because we already did see a little bit of a dip there coming coming into this season, and you know, you factor in the him being in a boot in can kub before before training camp, and is he dealing with some tendonitis in that ankle as a result of the injury? Is that a reason why his rush attempts have decreased over the course of this season, And then the one game that he gets back into scramble mode, he tears his hamstring. So I think that's certainly a mental challenge that you would have to ask of him at that point. But I think that's probably something that he'll have to go through and experience over the course of these next four months and then come to a conclusion at the end of it for how these next four years will go.
Speaker 2: From a rushing perspective to me, there's concern, you know, in this concern in this way because we didn't see We saw a guy that doesn't have the mobility that he once had, you know, his ability to move and you know, we've seen him in the pocket been able to kind of navigate things and kind of buy some time, you know, when he can he you know, we were asking for him to run, you know, I mean, hey, those injuries happen, but you've already seen a guy that doesn't look really as flexible as he once did, you know, And now are you are you are you going into that even more? Are you dipping into that part of his game? Where are you taking that away? Him and Britt Brown will work really hard to rehab and get back. You know, He'll try and keep his weight down, He'll do everything he can to kind of defeat Father Time, which will be difficult. But these injuries start adding up, and especially when you start to talk about lower body injuries, hamstrings, ankles, you know, if he doesn't have a lot of flexibility in his ankle, you know, because he's dealing with a lot of that stuff. That was a pretty horrific injury that he's suffered, you know, and he and he's fought back, he's battled through things, and he always going to battle through things. But how many can you take before it starts to show with your play? You know, I remember way back in the day when Dan Marino towards hamstring, well, the greatest quarterbacks ever to play, what Scutorio is achilles, and he just couldn't move anymore. And then he was kind of a sitting duck in the pocket and he just couldn't buy himself another chance to throw the ball, you know, or a second chance. The mobility, he couldn't do that. And you know, you just kind of wonder with Dak is this going to be one of those things that we've kind of seen him not have a lot of flexibility, a lot of mobility, uh, you know, to be able to navigate stuff. And so that's that's my concern right there. I think he'll you know, they'll say, hey, well as good as new. Well it's not as good as new. You know. He deal he's dealing with a lot of things physically that he hit. To his credit, he plays through, you know, and and like say, when they tell you that, oh, the walking boot's nothing, don't worry about it. Nothing to see here. There's something to see here. You know, this is not just Hey, the walking boot looks very stylish. I'm a jump Man Nike guy, you know, Nike jump boot, you know whatever, that's.
Speaker 6: Not that's the thing in Mexico these days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you don't want to be on a fishing boat all day with a boot on. Trust me, I've been on a fishing boat all day. You know you don't. So it's it's it's it's tough. These things are tough and they and they start to add up and it and you know you're not. You know, there's there's some guys that are able to kind of overcome these things, and others it's it's a lot harder. I mean, he works so hard as is to get ready. Now you know, it's going to be even more for him to to get back and you know, and get the mobility that he had.
Speaker 4: Well, big question mark for the future. I'm sure we'll be discussing it later on uh again. But in the meantime, as far as the current quarterbacks right now, Jerry Jones did mention they're sticking with Cooper Rush to be the starter and planning on throwing in some packages with Trey Lanz. I haven't seen any confirmed by us here in the building, but I've been hearing with the move Will Greer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the name the name that I've heard on outside the building, you know, at one oh five three the fan just talking to some people that Will Greer was going to step back into the role of being on the practice squad and then you know, being able to elevate if they if they need him. But familiarity with Will Greer, you know, everybody likes Will Greer. You know he'll fit in just fine doing what they need to do. You know, he's He's the most important thing is that you know Will Greer will know his role in what he has to do, and so that's that's a positive. If you have to make one of these moves with eight weeks left in the season, you know Will Grier that you could do far worse than than Will Greer out there.
Speaker 5: Familiarity with Will Greer, and then also Will Greer's familiarity with how to run scout team, because that's going to obviously become a lot more important over these next few weeks. But yeah, him added to the practice squad. Expect that to happen sometime this week.
Speaker 4: I remember it was a very emotional departure.
Speaker 5: I was there for that Lance right after they had traded for Trey Lance, and they basically told Will like, hey, so this is your last audition, go have fun. And yeah, he certainly did the thing. He threw for over three hundred yards in that game. It was the only preseason game they won that year.
Speaker 6: And and then he cried in the press conference after.
Speaker 4: The Yeah yeah, so does that that final look that we got from him at that moment, does that inside any will to see more more of will see more of him uh in this next weeks.
Speaker 6: What he's a gun slinger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he is a gun slinger. There's no doubt about. I mean when he when you watched him playing in college, he was a gunslinger. The way he played there in West Virginia. If I'm right about that. But if I could circle back about about the other the two quarterbacks with with Cooper Rush and Trey Lance, Trey Lance needs to be incorporated a little bit earlier into the game in my opinion. If you go the first series, and you know, maybe go second series, think about getting Trey Lance in there a little bit. Maybe you know you don't if you want to just run some packages and stuff, don't just wait till the second half and say, okay, go try and save us. Now, you know, Trey Lance, you try and find some things that that you know that you're comfortable at doing. We call him design runs. He had a design run for eleven yards the other day, just straight snap quarterback run, you know, with Ezekiel Ellett leading. You know they blocked it up. Well, you know it's eleven yard run. Some RPO stuff, the read option stuff, make Houston have to kind of prepare or as the game goes on, everybody talks about halftime adjustments. The really good teams adjust series the series they do make make make Houston have to worry about now that you've got an RPO part to their game. Now they see it, They see it a lot with their own team. They practice against it, so they should be comfortable playing that way. But but don't wait till like some weird moment in the third quarter that you're going to put Trey Lanston and like, you know, if if if all of a sudden, there's it, doesn't you know, the first series and Cooper rush is inaccurate and the balls going behind the line of scrimmage and it's two yards passing and three three snaps, hell, get get Trey Lance. And then the next series, try and get something going with the running game, try and kind of make something happen, you know, don't just sit there and plod on, plot on, plod on and then it's too late. Just you know, play play really unconventionally. Just play two quarterbacks and just see if you can, if you can maybe find some offense along the way.
Speaker 4: I'm hoping that the outcome of this last game against the Eagles maybe it serves us. And I don't want to say release some pressure, because there's a lot of pressure with people that this is their last year in their contract, but at the same time to maybe just let loose, like let's just try different things and and just go in with the different mentality of like it is what it is, now, let me just relax a little bit and just do things differently.
Speaker 2: Well, this is where this is where you have to look at it now. As a coach, you can you can. You can go in your office, close your door at night and then start to call all your buddies and find out, you know, at the Senior Bowl, who's going to be hiring coaches, or what's staffs are going to be put together, or hey, do you know Ben Johnson? Do you know Mike Vrabel? Do you know? You know? Don't that's the kind of that that that kind of mentality right there. That's that's not going to get it done. Or you could put good film out there. You could you know, maybe things aren't perfect right now, but you could put good film out there for somebody to look at, like, hey, look when they had all these injuries, Look what they did. Look what these coaches came up with. That that's your that's your calling card right there. That's you're like, hey, look what Look how these guys rallied the last eight weeks without their starting quarterback. Look what they did with their offense, Look what they did. You know, maybe it's not going to be perfect. Maybe it's not going to translate into wins, but you could. You could put tape out there to show people as a coach that your guys didn't quit, they were well prepared, they were they were buttoned up assignment wise, and you did a good job of making sure seeing the season through. You know, a lot of coaches get hired by word of mouth, but you could also get hired by the tape you put out there, you know, and players of the same way. Now you've got to worry about the players now too. You know, the players. I don't think they'll quit on MIC, but you got to make sure that you're trying your best and you're competitive. Because what happens is the closer we get to Thanksgiving, players start to talk about the holidays, and they start to talk about plans, they start to talk about being out of the building, and hey, what are we doing after the season. Maybe we're not watching two or three extra games of film. You know. Maybe we're like, ah, I can do that tomorrow. And then you don't do it tomorrow, you know, and now you're really not prepped, and now you're going out there and getting really embarrassed because you're not doing everything you need to do. You've got to try and avoid that. You know, the season looks or excuse me, appears to be lost, you know, but make sure that you're a pro and you handle your preparation. And that's the challenge of these coaches here in this locker room. Now. You know, when they get to the holidays, they don't need this thing to have a five or six game losing streak, you know, and all of a sudden, the players have completely checked out. You know. That's that's the challenge right now for not only the coaches but also for the players.
Speaker 4: Let's go ahead and take our first break. When we come back, do you have a game?
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 4: Let's get into Brian's game.
Speaker 8: After the break, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per ho. But the good news is Todd has at and t five gs. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G Fast, Reliable, Secure.
Speaker 9: Five G requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 10: It's the official min's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy whipball. Make a play for the playmaker at get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 11: Don't put off getting your oil change Dallas. Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys is faster than you think. They're so fast you don't even have to get out.
Speaker 2: Of your car.
Speaker 11: You can take advantage of Take fives, stay in your car ten minute oil change at any of their locations across the Dallas area and remember at Take five. You stay in your car because they're faster than you think. That means you won't even have time to show off your best touchdown celebration. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 6: From the field to the festivities.
Speaker 12: Lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stand tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Star and Frisco, or online at lucasey dot com.
Speaker 6: Lucasey the official.
Speaker 12: Boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 7: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer hand cramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side licensed YETI Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yetti dot com. Check it out today. YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Back to the break, lgoled Evil is the best TV in the game, but don't take our word for it. Digital Trends said that LGOLEDG four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. See it for yourself at LG dot com slash ol ed Evil. Welcome back to the second segment. This segment is brought to you by blockchain dot Com. I think Brian take it away.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, hambar uh. Nick, I'll start with you on this one. Is your questions that I've kind of come up with in every Tuesday. If you're new to the show, I should have probably explained what we're doing every Tuesday. I kind of have questions for the guys, and they do a great job of answering them.
Speaker 6: So sometimes know all the time.
Speaker 2: You guys do a great job. But let me go with you on this first one, Nick, do you feel like you'll get a good evaluation of Jonathan Mingo with these quarterbacks?
Speaker 6: Oh that's a good question.
Speaker 2: I mean, damn right, it's a good questions.
Speaker 4: Don't break yourself thinks A good question, isn't it.
Speaker 5: I think, considering the fact that Dak Prescott will be his quarterback, I think there's a layer that layer of that too, there's a layer of what's the word I'm looking for, realism?
Speaker 6: I guess you're you found there.
Speaker 5: However, I do think there is a way to look at him and see, Okay, is he creating separation?
Speaker 6: Is he getting out in the open field?
Speaker 5: Is he whenever he's taking jet sweeps or anything out of the backfield if if they try to do something like that with him, is he making the right raids?
Speaker 6: Is he doing the right things? And is he going to be ready this week?
Speaker 5: I think him being ready this week would also be kind of an indicator as to how he's got an acclimate coming into the building. Mike McCarthy did a praise Mingo yesterday and saying that he's come into the building and he's attacked everything. He's attacked the playbook and he was close to being able to go on Sunday, but you know he only had one full practice. Sure, I expect him to be able to go into this week but I don't think you can take a full evaluation of Mingo right now.
Speaker 6: I think I think you're I think you're onto something there.
Speaker 5: But I think if we're looking up in week three next year and he doesn't have some sort of impact, then I think that's probably where we look at it. We can give a full evaluation.
Speaker 2: Hey, g you feel like you get a good evaluation a Mingo. With these quarterbacks, I feel like.
Speaker 4: I could actually do a little bit because expand because one if we're talking about game type of experience and all of that would was to happen down the road. I feel like what you were getting with Dak wasn't that much different anyways with while you're currently getting with the other backup quarterbacks in that sense. But I think with practices you can still get evaluation of him. And like what you just mentioned, the separation how he's handling that, can he run the right routes? Is how is he learning all these routes and different schemes. And then as far as the quarterbacks and how they throw, they're here for a reason. It might not be great during actual game days, but as far as practices, we know they can throw. We've seen them have a good arm. Not always. We've been there on training camps and things like that, so we know that as well. But I think you can get a good feel of what he is and what he could be, and even then the things that he shows you could be mentally like, Okay, maybe he could be a little bit better with a better quarterback or not. It's a good question. I agree, But I don't think that just by not having that kid just messes up your holy volation on it.
Speaker 2: I kind of feel like though, to me, if if he is, I think you guys are right. You could see the route running, you can see the separation, you could see the man they're not getting him, the ball man they're missing, like you know, Tolbert running an inbreaking route or Turping running in breaking round and then the ball goes flying over their heads or they're you know, running out routes and the balls going over their head. You're thinking like, Okay, good route, good separation, where's the throw?
Speaker 5: You know, because you can look at CD from Sunday's game, Yeah, he had a hell of a game.
Speaker 6: Cooper just can't I couldn't.
Speaker 2: Find it, couldn't I could not find see see that's the issues that I worry about then and then we get into the well we got Mingo at receiver. Now he's one of our guys, you know, And now it goes back to that whole thing is are you willing to draft somebody? Are you willing to draft? I know, you know you've talked about, you know, a Travis Hunter. Not that, not that Mingo keeps you from drafting Travis Hunter, but maybe it keeps you from drafting somebody in the second round or the third round. You know. All of a sudden, it's like, well, did we really understand what what you know, what Mingo was all about? Well, we saw him run routes. We didn't see him you know, well, yeah we and it's the whole thing over. We go into camp and we start talking about our expectations are that this guy is going to you know, and then you're like, now you're back to you know, in week eleven, you're going, well, this roster's bad because you know they didn't do Those are the things that always I just worry about the new evaluation of a player halfway through the season, and as that keep them from maybe doing something in the off season about it.
Speaker 5: I just feel like there's a possibility that they traded for wide receiver Trede Lance in the sense that they gave up a fourth round pick. Yeah, he's not gonna end up playing a lot next year. I hope I'm proven wrong on that, but that's the initial indication, the initial indication.
Speaker 2: All Right, I'm gonna go with you on this one, Nick, is it a shame that Chauncey Golson is playing this well and you'll lose him like you'll lose like you lost Armstrong and Fallied.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's playing. He's playing himself into a little bit more money, for sure. I think that's a guy they need to bring back. I think if I'm looking at this defensive end room and how it's gonna shake shake up throughout the offseason, you probably will not be able to afford bringing Lawrence back. That's if Lawrence is still wanting to come back at that point, right, More so for retirement issues, not anything that's happened in the building. But if you're looking for that big body defensive end on the outside, you got Marshawn neland but you could also have Chauncey Golson as a rotational guy. And then you got Carl laws, and I feel like if they had those four it's like the key defensive ends, that could be a really good group. I would pay money to bring back Golston personally.
Speaker 2: Okay, if the money turns into like Armstrong.
Speaker 5: Oh there's there's no way, right then, yeah, you would have to go draft somebody at that point.
Speaker 2: It's a shame. And but right it's a shame.
Speaker 4: It's a shame. It's a shame, a lot of shame. I mean, we don't really know. They got money issues, you know that. But again, it's like with some of these moves that you've made in the contract that you gave Dak, don't ask me about cap money.
Speaker 6: I don't agree.
Speaker 4: I don't know. But obviously if it gets two way out of budget, you just can't deal it. But what we have seen in the past that they that when they do sign people in free agency, they tend to sign their own. So maybe that's something that is not completely out of the question there, but only and only, and we see this year after your if the money makes sense. Otherwise you're having to rely back again on young Talen and the draft.
Speaker 2: This reminds me a lot about the guy, like like the running back that you lost to Tennessee. You know, this reminds me of a guy that for four years really just kind of just I used the word here again, plotting along, just kind of plot along, and then he gets the opportunity to play, and you're kind of like, damn, maybe he should have played more, you know, and you feel like that maybe you developed him for somebody else, for somebody else. You know, you did, you drafted and developed, but you're not keeping the guy, you know, you know, Tony Pollard. I feel like we drafted and developed, and I know the money got really high for Tony Pollard, but I kind of feel like you drafted and developed Armstrong for the Commanders. Yeah, you draft and develop, and you know, unfortunately you can't keep them all, but the decisions of the one maybe you try and get ahead of it. And they've tried, they've tried to get ahead of some of these things just hasn't worked out in the way. But I have a feeling you've drafted and developed Goldston for somebody else. Just my opinion. Having a career year, I mean, yeah, yeah, the three years prior to this, you were kind of like, nah, yeah, it's a good player. Rotational backup guy.
Speaker 5: Now you're kind of like playing on a position before this year though, in my opinion.
Speaker 2: There you go. There's another asked Jerry Jones the same question I asked him about Pollard, where he looked at me and said, I'm an idiot. Basically, he goes, see, you feel like you waste his career here, and he goes, no, I really don't. But you know, yes you did, sir. You know you guys didn't use him like you needed to use him, you know. And I think the same thing could probably be said about Golston Nick. Does Richards make you feel better about the swing tackle position? Yes?
Speaker 6: Yeah, awesome Richardson.
Speaker 5: Richards had had a great game on Sunday, honestly better than I's. I know there's a lot of awesome Richard's believers out there, and I'm not necessarily saying I'm a non believer, but I didn't think he would be ready to start against a front like Philadelphia. But he did, and he played well, arguably I'd say, probably the second best guy overall and probably the best in passpro from Sunday. From from going back and watching, Yeah, makes me feel a lot better about about swing tackle specifically.
Speaker 6: I think it.
Speaker 5: He played well enough to where you could, if you wanted to later in the season, play some musical chairs there you can integrate him into the lineup.
Speaker 2: You played musical chairs, where you move, You're gonna move your left tackle, get into right tackle and see what that's all about.
Speaker 6: Certainly a possibility.
Speaker 2: Ambart Nick wants to shuffle the offensive line around, but does But do you feel better right now about awesome Richards?
Speaker 4: I mean, clearly the combination is not working, so try a different combination there. But actually impressed with what he did, honestly, if I'm being honest, my I hope you're being My opinion about him and nothing against him is just every time I've personally watched them, I haven't seen anything exciting from my end the times I've looked at him, So in my own personal evaluation, I do think he exceeded my expectation and what I thought he would look like going into this game a lot better and definitely right now it looked like an upgrade. So curious to see more of him and how he continues to play, because and that's if how long is guy in now? He's back this week?
Speaker 6: Most likely? Yeah, dealing with that shoulder sprain but or strained. But he should be he.
Speaker 4: Should be right, So I would like to see more of him, Okay, And it is those sometimes those one off games that you have a good gamage. So I just I would like to have more on tape to see whether or not he's a good like.
Speaker 2: I remember Chas Green did the same thing against San Francisco, played really really well and then they played Atlanta and it went south in a hurry.
Speaker 4: But you know, I agree, it's just let's just I would like to see more of him.
Speaker 6: I'll say this.
Speaker 5: My one question that I would have about awesome Richards is why did he not start against Detroit? Yeah, which maybe he just wasn't ready for the left tackle position at that point. They've been working him a lot at guard and maybe I think realized that Guiden was a little bit more bringed up than they expected. Hey let's get you some tackle reps going into the bye week, and then he was ready for Philadelphia. But I think at the very least, he at least played you into a situation to where offensive tackle is not as big of a necessity in the draft.
Speaker 2: I think they were really worried about Philadelphia's defensive tackles in this game.
Speaker 6: That's fair.
Speaker 2: I think they did not want to move Tyler Smith out of that with those monsters playing inside Carter and those guys, I don't think they wanted to do that. Uh, Nick Amber, you did just answered the question, right, you just did, Nick tight Ends. What's the problem?
Speaker 6: They only have one guy.
Speaker 5: I think at this point that they only have one guy, and he got banged up early in the season. I think he's still on pace, uh, yardage wise and catch wise for what he was last year, but he just lost his quarterback to so that's that's not gonna help him as far as keeping that pace. But they only have one guy, and that guy is not the best run blocker in the world. Sure, so they don't have a point of attack guy. Luke scoon Maker is almost entirely taking himself out of the lineup.
Speaker 2: Yes, and uh and Span four gets a holding call down in the fumble area.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly exactly. So they only have one guy. That's that's the problem. Which is which is crazy because we looked up a year ago and like, hey, they got like three and a half four guys here. There's there's there's the comfortably one guy left.
Speaker 2: There's me sitting an Oxnard thinking, man, this tight end room might be okay, you know it might be you know, no Amber tight end, And what's the problem it Spin four.
Speaker 4: He's a guy that a lot of people liked and going into this season, let's keep an eye on him. And it just hasn't hasn't happened Schoolmaker. I've always thought there's there's more to him and there it's just hasn't happened either. And he's currently healthy and I know in the past that has been the issue where he's dealt with different kinds of little injuries here and there. But I just I don't understand what's going on. It's just disappointing because again, I agree with you guys at one point you thought you had good depth there and it's just you haven't seen much. And for a guy like, oh my god, I'm blanking out on his name, no, the starter, I just completely just wouldn't that be nice?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 4: But Ferguson, I know you will disagree because he's he's he has these good moments. It just hasn't been the same. But and it's not necessarily a job towards him. Because collectively everyone has been bad in the offense overall. So I think it's just more nature of the scheme and the play calls and all of that, just the combination of all of that, where I would have expected to see Ferguson be a lot more this year, contribute more, especially at that position. That is a position to be known to be kind of like a safety comfort blanket to Dak Prescott. It just never happened. And now with the change that quarterback, I don't know if we will see something different, maybe because now you're kind of asking for these quarterbacks to throw just shorter passes. Maybe the tight end kind of shines a little more here.
Speaker 6: I don't know, Hunter licks your second best tight end on his roster. That's the problem here.
Speaker 2: And whispers of that too, did a whisper good time for one more? You got to get a break? Go ahead, Nick, What do you do with Kaylen Carson?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I think his confidence has gone, especially after the way that Philadelphia started that second half. Zimmer talked about it yesterday. I mean, you can tell when a guy is just being targeted over and over and over again. If it's a situation where Deron Bland cannot go again this week.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and sometimes you need to be taken away a little bit and you'll.
Speaker 6: Think he's ready. I think he could be good. I shall think he's ready.
Speaker 4: I like him a lot. I know he's been targeted, but again, you've asked so much out of a rookie, and I just think I like him a lot. Mentally, Yeah, it's gonna it's a beatdown every time you are out there and they're just going at you over and over again, and they're having success and they're having success, so it's tough. I think the right decision be to give him just a little break out of the game. But I still like him and I would like to see him more. And I think next year, with a defense that has hopefully all of their starters back into the mix, I can see him thrive in a defense where he has help around him and just more time to practice and do everything that he needs to do. But mentally, I think it's yeah, he needs a little break.
Speaker 2: It Bland doesn't go. I'd like to see a rotation of him and MCUAMU. Yeah, mcuama can start maybe it's first series, second series, third series, and then put Carson in. You know, maybe the game is if some of these games are not in the balance anymore and all that, maybe you just go and give him the experience. But obviously as a starter, it's been a real struggle for him. So that's where you're at. Thank you, guys, appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Brian. Let's go ahead and hit our second and finals break and then we'll come back and just hit up some of the current drama that has been going around with the Cowboys.
Speaker 13: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an LG o lead Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play.
Speaker 2: Every hit.
Speaker 13: I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines.
Speaker 2: That's how clear it is.
Speaker 13: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 6: No one comes close.
Speaker 13: LG old Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com, slash o Leedevo.
Speaker 14: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agon Turf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agga Turf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 6: If you shout how about them Cowboys?
Speaker 15: You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 6: The wins will be even taste here. It's a Pepper thing.
Speaker 13: And we're going to overtime Erica.
Speaker 2: How much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 16: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial assistant in the Bank of America Mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com, slash ericup by your side, Bank of America Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses may very digital tools featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Englis language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored, Quality assurance message DAT raise and additional terms Thank America and a number fd C.
Speaker 8: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop it running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast reliable, Secure five.
Speaker 9: G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 2: Back to the break.
Speaker 4: At and t connecting changes everything, and before we end the show, I wanted to kind of talk about the current thing that's happening around everyonere on social media and or the current thing current. I'm not talking about no current here. You can talk about it.
Speaker 6: I haven't tweeted about it one time.
Speaker 4: I'm touchy subject. But Michah Parsons. I wanted to talk about him though, and just kind of hit on that drama in your thoughts on the whole situation. He has come out and basically said, you know, I'm being misunderstood. You're just kind of flipping my words. What are your thoughts on?
Speaker 13: What is.
Speaker 4: Nick's face right now? Is pretty funny.
Speaker 5: I do I believe that he intended to throw Mike McCarthy under the bus as bad as it came across.
Speaker 6: No, I do not believe that. I do believe that MICHAEH.
Speaker 5: Parsons does respect the only head coach he's had in his entire NFL career. I do believe that on that same token, he was given an opportunity in that moment to pour support into his head coach that is on an expiring contract, and he instead deflected it to other people. Now, does he want to win for those other people, Absolutely, But I think there's certain optics to that exchange that leave room to believe that, you know, Micah could have supported his head coaches a little bit more than he did.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 5: Granted, Mike McCarthy did say yesterday that they had a one on one conversation.
Speaker 6: They cleared the air.
Speaker 5: He Parsons communicated that was not his intention for how it came across.
Speaker 6: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 5: Micah came on his podcast later yesterday and it kind of explained the same thing. I think he took more of exception to former players and former coaches. Looking at the first part of that quote where he was talking about, you know, it's it's Mike McCarthy can go anywhere, because that's what I think TV stations took away from that quote was like it was the part where he was like, yeah, McCarthy can go anywhere and be fine. I don't I never took that as the quote unquote distance. It was the last part where he's like those veteran guys like Zach Martin, they worked, They put more time and work in than Mike McCarthy ever did. That's where I was like, he's gonna have to explain that one, because McCarthy is in this building, yeah, until midnight every day, And as someone who was in this building last year, can I can attest to that he was in here at eight o'clock the very next morning when they lost to Green Bay. I mean that he is in this building quite a bit so time. I don't know about that work. Probably physically, yes, absolutely, And that's eventually what Mike could try to communicate was like, no, these guys have been put putting in blood, sweat and tears on the field, which like, as a player, you you play for the guys around you. You play for the people who are on the field, yes, absolutely, and then you play for your coaches. So like part of me understands what Michael was trying to communicate there and being like, hey, no, like these guys, these are the guys that are you know, uh, messing up their shoulder, messing up their foot. And Zach Martin, he's battled a ton of injuries over the course of the last year. DeMarcus Lawrence dealing with the Lis Frank I think that's more so what he's talking about when he's talking about putting in more time and work than Mike McCarthy ever did. But it just came across very poor and an opportunity where he could have poured support into McCarthy.
Speaker 2: Somewhere, somewhere, Aaron Rodgers is agreeing with with Michael Persons. That wouldn't be the first. No, just uh uh you know to me, I I I have all these platforms I get to be on. I'm not the best speaker. I can understand that. But he did qualify it by saying, listen, it's above my pay grade.
Speaker 6: He did.
Speaker 2: He did say that. He said it's about my pay grade. So somebody else is going to have to make the decision. He chose to give praise to guys that he he feels like he spills blood with on that field. That's what he chose to do. Now, Now the next thing, I know, before we quit here, the next thing, did he nobody quit in here? No? No, no quit in the show. The thing now, the thing that that Michael Parsons now maybe needs to worry about a little bit is does information go does somebody become petty about this? And now national media start to pick up on things little whispers. Well, you know, he's talking about my work ethic. Let me tell you, we tell you about his work ethic. You know, things like that, you know, all of a sudden, the Tom Pelasarrow's and Dan Grasiano's and all those guys change slaters and all. Yeah, I mean I named I named like a really good law firm there. But but now he needs to worry about whispers. And maybe it's not from Mike, but maybe it's from other coaches and stuff in the building, you know, that defending Mike and stuff like that. So you know, Micah has had his share of whispers coming out of this building before, you know. So it's kind of one of those things like, yeah, he thinks I didn't work, how about him? You know, and and all of a sudden, now it's uh, you know, now now things don't look as good for Michael Parsons. That's the worry I would have if I was him.
Speaker 5: This generated questions in the locker room. It's why it's why McCarthy and Parsons had their one on one yesterday because because of people talking about in the locker room.
Speaker 6: So they got together to clear the air.
Speaker 5: If someone is still interpreting this entire situation in the sense that it came across on Sunday. Then you could point back to Micah not being here at Ota, so you could point.
Speaker 6: Back back that's what you're saying and things of that. So I I understand, we're no, No.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what I'm saying, because all of a sudden, you know, if you want to question my work ethic and you live in this you lived in this building at one time, you do too, Ambar, and you know you're hanging here till midnight riting a story, and you see Mike McCarthy going home, you have a point of reference. You know, coaches work really, really, really hard. I trust me. I I've been. I've been with coaches out until one in the morning working on stuff. Coaches work really hard, and they get here very early in the morning. I used to pick John Gruden up at four and am to get him to work in Green Bay. They worked very, very hard, you know. And but like I say, we've heard stuff from We've heard stuff from Aaron Rodgers. I was kind of making a joke, but we've heard stuff from Aaron Rodgers before, you know, so you know, it's it's your it's your own thought and and but they need to be careful because you know, Micah could very well be He could be now in the line of sight of some coaches, and it might not be Mike McCarthy, but other coaches say, let me tell you guy talking about our guy. Come on, man, this guy doesn't do this and this and this. That's just that's something you always have to worry about.
Speaker 4: We'll start hearing about it. If it happens, probably will we hear it. We'll hear it about it everywhere. And with that we end the show. Thank you so much to everyone who listened live and hit listen later on. Thank you. And how does Derek end this? For Nick Harris, Brian brought us a member of your ci and this has been the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Slash Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.