Speaker 1: Warning. Today's episode contains spoilers for Wonderman episodes five through eight. Be warned. Hello, Iam and Jason Concepcion and I'm Rosie Knight and welcome back to x Revision, the podcast where we dive deep. It's your favorite shows, movies, comics and pop culture company from my Heart, where we're bringing you three episodes weekly.
Speaker 2: News plus news plus news. In today's episode, we are back. We're talking about wonder Man. We recap the first half of the season, which you can listen to now, and then you can listen to us recap the second half of the season. As you know if you listen to our first recaps, this is more of a deep dive discussion as this is a slice of life, superho show. But oh my god, what show is and we are going to be digging into all the emotionally heartbreaking events of the second half of wonder Man right now.
Speaker 1: Let's get into it. So episodes five through eight Found Footage Callback, Kathy Friedman and Yucca Valley are the back half of the wonder Man season. Quick recap Found Footage. A celebratory night spirals into a dangerous collision of ambition, exposure, and gunfire as Simon Williams dream comes within reaching the worst possible moment. Basically, there's a conversation with some local tuffs who have a problem with Trevor, and Simon uses powers but is unfortunately videotaped by a young man named Jayden, who then they have to deal with and do some stuff for it in order to get him to delete his footage. The situation spirals kind of out of control.
Speaker 2: Such a fun episode.
Speaker 1: Very very fun episode Episode six Callback for a long night of little sleep, Simon and Trevor race to von Kovac's house, where they work through their roles in a wonderful I mean, this is the one that was like, this is like Megalopolis Kathy Freeman. Episode seven Simon's controlled public persona because to unravel, Simon meets with Vivian, who understands that he's hiding something, and Trevor admits that he's been feeding information to damage Conrol all along, and this really like just breaks Simon's heart. Simon response by releasing ionic energy and basically destroying the entire sound stage. And then episode eight Uca Valley the finale. After Simon's destructive outburst, Trevor comes up with a plan to retake the Mandarin persona and basically blame himself for the explosion, saying that he as the terrorist known as the Mandarin who is real this time not fake, planting the explosives, blowing up the studio, thus clearing Simon, allowing him to rise to stardom behind the Wonder Man picture. That goes on to you know, shatter box offices around the globe, and then Simon, now a famous actor, goes undercover in perhaps his most important role to date as a warden at the Department of Damage Control prison in the desert in order to bust Trevor Slattery out. That is the season, and it was a wonderful, charming season that I think provided a roadmap for how Marvel can do more grounded, character driven superhero stories going forward. Let's talk about it. Your thoughts on Wonder Man.
Speaker 2: I just love this show so much. I thought the first half is great, as we talked about. I think the central conceit is so clever. Just hire a really fantastic actor and make a show about acting like ya. Ya is brilliant, so it makes sense that we love to watch him. But I really think that the back half of this season is such an emotionally draining yet satisfying kind of televisual experience for me. I kind of find shows that invest me this much a little bit hard to watch, like the Simon goes through it in these episodes. And Yeah, there was just something so beautiful about not only the Hollywood meta nature of as you mentioned, Jason, and I immediately put this in the group chat when I was rewatching. When you watch episode six after seeing the incredible megalopolist documentary Megadoc.
Speaker 1: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, same exercises, question Mark. I know, it really does feel like somehow, maybe a crew member was on set. It feels like there was someone who was feeding information to the show about these kind of insane exercises. So when you watch wonder Man, it somehow feels more timely, more prescient, more like it's making a statement on the way that these things work. I also found that there is so much to love in Simon's character. We've had this conversation, and I think it's going on on the internet in general, this reading of maybe Simon is an autistic person or and you're a divergent person. And I loved how in episode six we get to see him having to try and emotionally regulate when something changes, like a plan changes and he suddenly can't improv. And this is my new hot take, I'm bad at improv because improv is ablest. I can't do it. Guys. It's hard when you just can't make things up. Okay, But like, I loved that episode and I feel like the eventual emotional payoff is so high. And I also think that Trevor taking the man their immantle back and kind of using it to save Simon is a really nice way to kind of acknowledge that tough journey that the character's been on, but ultimately reclaim it for something positive. And then I just love the ending so much. And I gotta ask you, Jason, the ending where we see Simon break Trevor out of prison and he's wearing the glasses. He's going up and you know he's going up in the sky's wearing the DODC uniform, but you can imagine him wearing the glasses wearing the Superho costume. Do you think if these characters come back, we're gonna get to see Simon living a dual life as an actor and a vigilante or do you think that this might be the last time we'll see them.
Speaker 1: I do wonder. I like the I like the idea that Simon becomes not just like an out superpowered, enhanced person, but also like a working actor behind it, which is very much comics accurate. You know, Simon Williams in the comics was a member of the West Coast Avengers and the Avengers in general, but also like starring in movies, television commercials, and TV shows. So I think that would be really I think that would be really cool if they can figure out how to do that. I will say that I like, Yeah, I love the reading of I didn't necessarily pick up on it until it was mentioned in there in our group chat that you know, what if Simon Williams is, you know, neurodivergent on some level, and I think his inability to, like his ionic outbursts coming after being overstimulated stimulated, I think really track with that. But there's so many small character in this that just feel different and more raised to the level of importance within the character that used to be just for the superpowers or for the character's relationship with other superheroes, And that's just really good. Work, especially considering that, you know, I'm not sure when we get a effective Marvel origin story type movie in the future, Like maybe I'm not sure how that happens in the future. Like Marvel has really kind of struggled with that, and you know, looking at Fantastic four, I think has you know, has struggled to do it while also trying to serve making blockbuster movies as like a goal. So I just think this was great. I think this is exactly how they can introduce characters in the future. I think the half hour format leave you leave, leave us wanting more, not wondering why they stretched this out is definitely something that they need to like do more of going forward. And to your point, there is so much stuff in here that is a love letter to movies, to Hollywood, to acting, to creativity, like all the von Kovac stuff where he's like, Okay, do I just see it again, but you just woke from a nap in which you had a dream that you were eating a kangaroo's placenta. Okay, let's go. Like all of that stuff is like mega, That's like Francis Coppola in Megadoc. That's exactly the shit he was doing, it's sure nuts. I just loved it. I thought it was it was really really really great. You never are It doesn't keep you waiting for like, Okay, when are the Superpowers going to come out? That's really like secondary to the character's arc struggle and goals. And I really love the fact that throughout this series, when Simon is struggling with like secrets that he's trying to not reveal, sometimes you're like, well, what is this, Like I'm not actually sure what he's talking about? Is he talking about like is this something about him potentially being new or divergent, or is it him just trying to keep his his his powers a secret. I thought the way those things conflated felt very human and lived in. I thought it was great program, great show.
Speaker 2: I totally agree. Something else I adored about it. You talked about the kind of meta Hollywood love last stuff, which we adore, and obviously it's kind of a love life TV and the film and the Amadeas heads are eating and everybody's loving it. But also I was really I thought it was very interesting to see a Marvel movie make a commentary on a conversation that the fans have because the man when the mand are in not the Mandalorian, as I almost said, I know you heard that round are coming out. But like the when the Mandarin explains why he allegedly blew up this mysterious studio lot that anyone who has ever seen a movie will know is Paramount Studios, but they blurt out the Paramount sign. He uses an argument that many of us have made about the MCU that the American Hollywood film industry is used to brainwash people that it is incotes with the military and all this kind of stuff. And the funny thing is Marvel takes that military money. Marvel has those Air Force contracts. That is the nature of making movies in Hollywood and wanting to use real military vehicles, etc. Et cetera, being able to have characters like Captain Marvel in the Air Force. So I found it very funny and meta and interesting, just like the rest of this show. To me, this feels like a very subversive show. It feels like a show that somebody said, hey, let's see if we can get this made in the Marvel model, and guess what they did. And I think now, like you said, Jason, it lays out a framework for how they could do this in the future. And Jason, I want to ask you, maybe when we get back from a break, but like, what would your dream pitch be for the next hero who gets something like this?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah, let's talk about that when we come back from a break.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what would your dream pitch be for the next hero who gets something like this?
Speaker 1: Jeez? Good question. Well, like in a world in which in a world in which the mutants, I mean, Simon is basically a.
Speaker 2: Mutant, Chris's definitely can come from that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in this telling of the mc so, Simon Williams in the comics got his ionic powers through a lab accident, which is classic classic It's either an experiment, a lab accident, some sort of controlled explosion, you know, radioactive spidery, et cetera, or you're a mutant, And clearly it's the third of those three. Oh my god, gosh. I'd love to see like a Jubilee runaway mall story, like living in the mall, some aer in the mall, like and to I want to divert just for a second. One of the things I loved in terms of like how this program dealt with character is in the finale, you get Simon's scheme to break Trevor out right, he goes to Yucca, he meets with the security guard. He is like, I'm working on a role. I can't tell you what it is. And then you get this entire section of scenes where it's like he's meeting his family, he's talking with him, he's drinking with helping him train. There's all of these things that like another Marvel show would not have time for and would not even do. That would just be a guy like you actually don't need to know anything about that guy that Simon boondoggles into, although he does give him millions of dollars, yeah, in order to let him do that. But that is the kind of dedication to like rushing out characters that we need more of. And I mean there's so many characters that, like, you like, what if we did weird ones?
Speaker 2: I would love to say, well, I'm like, this is a close this is a gateway, Jason, because wonder Man is a weird character. So what's your weirdest slice of life?
Speaker 1: Paste pot Pete Like, yes, you know, like something like that or The Wizard, Like I think that I think that villains fleshed out villains who are you know, superheroes in villains in Marvel and often in DC become villains or heroes for the same reason. They just there's always the same kind of like inciting event, but they make the decision either to go light or dark based on that. Right, it's always like they got screwed over by their boss, or they got a prime, or there was an accident and someone like the Wizard or Pace Pop Pete or these kind of lower level criminal characters who like invent something thing that allows them to get ahead in life. I think that there could be some really interesting ways to approach those characters through this, And I also think that just generally speaking, we're kind of a villains. Is the thing the MCU has not been I think great at is Miley struggled, Yeah, really populating their stable of villains with colorful characters who can come and go. Too often it's like this intense like superpowered threat that you know, the Red Skull who once they're vanquished, they're kind of off the board, or Thanos that once you beat him, it's like that's it takes all of the superheroes to beat him. What about somebody who it takes like a street level superhero like a month to beat them, right.
Speaker 2: Isn't that what made five of Us so great? When you know this idea of males morale is getting this victim, you know, a villain of the week in the spot, and then that mutating into this crazy villainous origin. I love that idea, Jason. I also think you're right. I think Marvel needs to build out its rogues gallery. It's always had those cosmic villains that we love, but DC has that, and DC has a crazy rogues gallery. I would say, if I was gonna do it, i'd go for like a I'd probably go for a similar tone. I think this wonder Man tone is incredible. I would probably want to do like three D Man, but I would also use it to do my favorite thing, which is to recontextualize something that didn't work in the MCU. In this case, I'd be going for like a Ragnarock esque recontextualization of Secret Invasion, and it's all from three D Man's perspective as just a normal guy who can see all the scrolls and just nobody believes them. And then eventually, you know, you maybe find out that at some point he's able to help in a small way, but I think there would be something really fun in that, kind of almost like a They Live, but more of a farcical comedy about like, yeah, nobody believes that this guy with his three D glasses can see who the scrolls are because nobody knows the scrolls are there because they've been there for like forty years and nobody knows. And then you kind of kindly slowly catch up with secret Invasion and maybe try and change a little bit of what happened there. I think something like that could be fun, And I think you're right, Jason. I mean also something that worked for me so well. And this is very specific obviously because of where we live. But I loved how La this show was, and I loved how Chicago Echo that Ironheart was, and I loved how Echo a lot of it was spent on the res, Like I think these location being part of the heart of the series is a great way to ground it and to show how many different aspects there are of America. I would love to see like Jubilee, you know, where there's a huge Asian American community in a very famous mall in La de Lamo Male, like do a Torrent set Jubilee thing. I want to fucking watch that, Like, do these specific characters in these really beautiful lived in locations. I'll see what it's like to be the insurance salesman who has to tell everyone their car premiums are going up because the Hulk has smashed another five Nissans in you know, downtown New York or whatever. This is a great space for that. And look at how popular it's been. This show has gone barely any hatred. I've seen no trolling campaigns. I have only seen really happily surprised viewerships, especially because I think another thing we haven't really talked about is contextually this show is actually pretty dark for the MCU, like, it has a very bleak, sad sense of humor. It's very existential. It really dares the audience to go on more of like an intellectual and emotional journey with them, and that has hit here, so I think we got to follow and do more of that.
Speaker 1: I completely agree. I meant, part of Simon's journey is he has no friends. He's dedicated himself to this, you know, almost quixotic quest to become a Hollywood actor and a huge star. He's lying to his family about how successful he is. His only friend is Trevor Slattery, who is you know, like SENTI by him, sent by the government to spy on him. And he has no ability to like forge close bonds with with any kind of romantic partners. Like he's really struggling, and a lot of this story is like him trying to deal with that, and also the fact that he is more comfortable playing a role than being himself. Like that's when he becomes wonder Man at the end, you know, in the in the costume, with the goggles and the whole thing. It's it's because he has like embraced that role in a way that he wasn't able to embrace his own life, his own regular life.
Speaker 2: I think that's why he's also able to save Trevor, because he has become wonder Man, like he is able to bring that role into his life. Okay, Jason Joel gave us some really good big questions here, So with this and obviously the studio cleaning up so far at Award season is the thirty minute TV series back in the Prestige Television conversation and also I think this fits into stress teage TV. This is a stressful show.
Speaker 1: I mean the thirty minute prestige. First of all, back would imply that it existed. I'm not sure has there ever been thirty minutes? Are for comedy, right, yeah, comedy reflected stuff, and so I don't know that there's ever been a thirty minute thirty minute prestige.
Speaker 2: It's the Bear, I would say, made it a possibility. And that's why the Bear.
Speaker 1: The Bear was a fit you've been, That was a hoodwink, that was not That was just a drama that they did in thirty minutes. And then everybody brains broke because they were like, so it's a comedy. And so I guess what I'm saying is other than the Bear, Season one, can we think of an actual prestige thirty minute?
Speaker 2: Could the Studio be the first?
Speaker 1: Then it's the comedy though. Okay, so you think Good Place was a sitcom?
Speaker 2: You think the prestige has to be no comedy?
Speaker 1: I mean, like, I guess we to sound like the science fiction No. I guess we have to. I guess we have to. I guess we have to. Like, Okay, let's what is prestige. Prestige is like you know, what do you mean my Presige question.
Speaker 2: No one's ever answered it before. I think it's it's gonna be easy.
Speaker 1: So I always think of Prestige as like very ambitious, great acting, great writing, great directing, pushing boundaries, the type of show that you didn't think you'd ever see on television, but there it is. So yes, Madman, Deadwood, the Sopranos, Breaking Bad, better call Saul Succession.
Speaker 2: I'll give you one. I'll give you one that I think does count. Even though I am not as much of a fan of this show as everyone else. It is a comedy, but I think that it covers all of the things you just said about direction and boundary breaking and all of that. Fleabag was a show, and I think that pushes the boundaries of the way that the show uses time and the fourth wall and all that kind of stuff. So maybe it's more that we are entering into a new age.
Speaker 1: You know what else? You know what else? And I hate it? Actually was it a half hour England? The original BBC Office the first two seasons was Prestige. Yeah, because that was that was like a seismic.
Speaker 2: Shift, culture change, a real.
Speaker 1: Culture changer, and that and that it melded comedy and drama and heartfelt. The motion, like you know, Ricky Gervay is huge piece of shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but will won't.
Speaker 1: They in the in the BBC office is like as good as it gets.
Speaker 2: You couldn't believe how good it is, Like you just can't stop watching it. Also incredible Dwight Costing completely different vibe but like very creepy.
Speaker 1: And so I guess I guess I would say that I think that I think that what we're seeing with a Night of the Seven Kingdoms, with the studio a little bit and with Wonderment, is that there is a lane for kind of genre mash type half hour television programs. Okay, that that put character development as central to the execution of the of the storytelling. I like, it's not just about effects, it's not just about action, it's not just about like with the studio, the dedication to the Wanner in this kind of like cinematographical excellence. It's about it's about learning who the characters are. And in that sense, yes, I think that what we're seeing an opening of a lane here for particularly for marvel Ian did.
Speaker 2: A really interesting call out there for Entourage. But you know, I will say I was reading about it right, you know, because there's HBO at same minutes it's comedy drama. But I will say it was one of the first shows, it looks like, where people kind of started talking about prestige adjacent where you could make like a show that was essentially a higher quality than say like a broadcast sitcom, and kind of verging into that space.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I have deep feelings on Entourage, but I think that's an interesting thing. I think it's something that's been paved the way throughout history, but it does seem like we're in a peak of it right now, probably also because of budget, so every Netflix show would love to be a thirty minute show that costs half as much money. Jason incredible poll here that tries VISLACKT three is now in as nearly as many properties as Stephen Strange, potentially even more crossovers than Tom Onlin Spider Man. So what do you see his role within the MCU being here? I think this is kind of a perfect ending for him, but obviously I would like to see him and Simon together again because that friendship is obviously so key to Simon's life. How do you feel about Trevor post from Iron Man three to Shangchi to hear.
Speaker 1: I think Trevor's got probably the most unique character arc in the MCU. And I think, as we said in the previous wonder Man episode, I was kind of I thought it was a good bit in Iron Man three, Like I thought it was a fun subversion of the terrorist kind of trope. And I could not have envisioned how much fun it would be to check back in with Trump.
Speaker 2: Agree.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing, Like, I am quite hopeful that we see more Trevor. I mean, certainly he's a fugitive from justice. Now. I don't know you. I don't know what you do with Like where do you put Trevor now?
Speaker 2: Like where you have to say?
Speaker 4: I love how much people in our discord love this show, because they love it so much that even though you could argue, I think that they're really trying to say, like this show is very standalone type show, you know.
Speaker 2: But there was somebody in our discord who was like, look, it's definitely gonna connect how about this? And I want to credit them because it's so good. Oh yeah, it was SJK, who's one of our biggest discord supporters and listeners. I think Josh Gad was Dormann to Battleworld. I love that people love this show so much that they are like head cannoning ways that it could connect. I do think that after the success and popularity and kind of like fan faveness, I definitely could see a Trevor Yeah yeah, kind of you know, Madison esque fan fave cameo before Secret Wars.
Speaker 1: Maybe I mean Trevor. I mean Trevor and Simon are are attached to the hip now because again both fugitives. Simon, like is an international movie star who just broke Trevor Slattery, world famous terrorist out of prison. They're gonna know it's him, They're gonna know it's both of them, and they can't like live openly now. So those two having adventures is something I would love to check back. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I agree. Also, I did just have a realization, so great questionnaire again So with ya ya and we know here that he's got the ionic powers. We hear that Department of Damage Control talking about how powerfully is we see how powerful is he breaks Trevor out. Does this change the trajectory of say, like a Captain Anthony Mackie's Captain America. I think this is a very interesting question because I do think that if I was in charge of the mc the end of this series really echoes where we leave Tony Stark at the end of the first Iron Man. He's internationally known, he is well recognized, he is protected, he has superpowers, he has a suit. I would if I was the Marvel Execs, I would be seeding and begging Yaya to be my next lead. So I think that could impact where we go with Captain America. But I also think that from the leaks we're reading, from what we're seeing from Doomsday, that also is about them wanting to refocus to Steve Rodgers. But I would love to see wonder Man and Sam Wilson together at some point, especially as a reunion after the iconic gay gaming episode of Black Mirror.
Speaker 1: Let's Go to We got some great questions from our discord. A row Hith from our discord asked, at the risk of being hyperbolic, this to me feels like the best MCU project, and if not the best around among the best of the MCU with and I completely agree. Never I have I seen a super project that just felt like real people living in a world populated with superheroes. Also, the relationship with Trevor Simon is easily one of the best. That's not a question. There's no questions here, but there's.
Speaker 2: Just no there's just people who love this. Just just say like everyone is loving it so much.
Speaker 1: Our Discord really loved it. Whack whack and the Discord I'm so in love with The show felt natural, lived in and every moment felt like it mattered, furthering emotional connections to these characters. And I think that's right. You know, like so much of this show was not about some massive secret mission or cosmic battle. It was just the guys. It was the feet of Clay thing that Stanley has been talking about.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, great way to put.
Speaker 1: It for seventy years. Like it is that it is a guy who's like, I don't know, you know where my rent is coming from. I'm struggling professionally and you know, personally, and also I have superpowers. That's like the Marvel formula.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm okay. Also, Jason, I got to ask you, there's so many amazing monologues in this show. I think mine is the Trevor to Simon one where he basically just tells him like, you know, that's not true. The real you isn't your condition. It's the sum of everything you've experience, the loss of joy, the sadness, wanting something so badly you could burst, hurting someone you care about, being hurt that by those you love. Jason, if you were going to do a monologue, if you were going in to read for wonder Man and you were going to do a monologue from wonder Man, which one would you be picking of?
Speaker 1: Oh? Wow, that's good. I mean I like I honestly every I would do a Vonkvath. Some I would do a yeah, something you could definely so demented in this movie. It's like, I watch Megalopolis. If you liked Vaughn in this movie, Yeah, watch Mega because it is seriously like a Francis Ford Coppola satire. It really is.
Speaker 2: Okay, Jason von Kovac has now you know, the movie was a massive success. Simon has somehow gotten himself back. This is my theory. This is what I would pitch for season two, right Simon. He von Kovac is like, Okay, well, now you have become wonder Man. So I want to make the meta movie or follow up TV series about your life as both the real Supero wonder Man and the actor who plays wonder Man. I think that would be incredible, But I've got to hear more of your von Kovac, Jason, so I'm gonna need you to pitch me what your follow up to this wonder Man movie would be in the voice of none other than the demented yet kind von Kovac, who I have to say, I was a big fan of the little moments of kindness they did give, like when somebody tries to kind of mock Simon about being upset and he was like, hey, calm down, you know. So he's like deranged but a little more humanist than I think the people that he is really based on. So anyway, Jason, pitch me wonder Man. You're a wonder Man follow up. But as von Kovac, I.
Speaker 1: Think we need a von Kovak documentary about the founding of the West Coast Avengers. Oh yes, that's kind of you know. That is you know, a like almost like a Grizzly Man type commentary from from von Kovac as he follows Simon Williams assembling the team that will be known as the West Coast Avengers, which I think should be the way they go at this point, because like your point about it, about it being very reminiscent of the way that Ironman one ends, I think is right, and Simon being kind of the most along with she Hulk right about being the most at this point notable West Coast superhero.
Speaker 2: That's a great call.
Speaker 1: It'd be cool to see. And he's ostensibly got some millions of dollars with which to fund this project, assuming that the government hasn't like seized his bank accounts, So true, he could put the team together.
Speaker 2: M hm. That feels like as well, guess who else is Hella Rich, Kate Bishop Hawkaye. She's so rich, her mum's in prison. I feel like those two together could really be living in that compound, protecting themselves. Maybe also, I'm seeing some kind of world where Simon maybe becomes a kind of figurehead for public superheroes. I'm wondering if that's where we're going again, replicating that Iron Man feeling, but maybe as more of an activist. Because also something and we talked about this a little bit in the first season the first chunk of episodes, but this really does start to establish some of the laws and layout that we're going to end up with for the X Men, like the Department of Damage Control here are essentially acting as if they are Ice. They are arresting people. They arrest Trevor. He doesn't have superpowers, but they arrest him. They put him in a superpowered people's prison because they need to fill it up, And that to me is very interesting. And I think that by allowing Simon and potentially Kate Bishop in the West Coast Avengers to have almost an isolated existence, they can stay as the kind of rebellion to this kind of oncoming swath of anti mutant, anti superhero legislations that I think we'll see keep popping up as Department of Damage Control grows.
Speaker 1: I love this reveal, basically confirmation that Josh gadd is still alive in Doorman, which we talked about yeah in our first episode. Incredible leading to Okay, so when does Ged come out? Number one? How long has it been? It's probably I'm guessing it's been no more than five years, right, it can't be.
Speaker 2: It can't be.
Speaker 1: It can't be longer than that. And it's got to be post the blip, right, it can't be before the blip. So it's got to be post blip and no more, no more than five years. And so my I have two questions. One, how do we get Gad back? Like when does Gad come out? And in what what context does Gad pop out? It would be really funny if like during some big battle during Tuesday, uh, like at the end of like endgame, when all the heroes are like charging the bad guys, Gad pops out of Doorman. And two does this create I could see like a subplot of of of wonder Man season two being that Doorman finds a sideline. It's a kind of like a health and wellness sideline, because God, there's a world in which Dad is not aged, right, he is not aged in five years, and he's impact.
Speaker 2: He's just been living in a chilled space essentially.
Speaker 1: So like what if you go, like you spend your every time you're not on set working, you could pay if you're like an actor working actor or someone who cares about your looks, you could pay Doorman to like whatever, spend even spend nights sleeping in Doorman, so that essentially time stops for you. And so over the course of say three years, if you're spending every name some of your downtime. Certain weeks inside Doorman, you've aged only a half to a third of the amount of a normal person who has lived outside of Doorman during that time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that, And also that kind of fits in with Andrew Guestgate the show, and I gave a really funny, insightful, kind of like kind of info dump where he said, Josh Gadd is still alive, so we were right, and if there's a season two, he will definitely get them out. And I do love that, and I also love your read because he said, you know, maybe Josh Gadd would even get doorman powers, so it would actually be hilarious if the normal doormann got to still be Doorman, but Josh Gadd was now like the celebrity wellness doorman. It's like, come and stay in Josh Gadd's is relaxing stomach palace or however you would you know, the Josh gad belly rehab or whatever it is. So yeah, that's very interesting. Also, there was a great interview in Entertainment Weekly that dropped when the show dropped by Sydney Box Bahm, who's another one of my entertainment journalists colleagues, and in that there is actually like a different ending for the show where it was going to be this kind of like they performed Black Boxtit are together, They're performing Hamlet, and they kind of like levitated off the floor and it was like this creative moment, but they decided to go for the big emotional ending where it's kind of about these men choosing to put someone else in front of each other for the first time. And I just think that works so well and is so delightful, and I think it sounds like it was something that really moved both like Yah Yah and Ben Kingsley because it was just all about like sacrifice and friendship. And I love that because I don't think you get a lot of stories about like the power of male friendship and the importance of like sacrificing yourself and also just like men crying. There's a lot of crying in this show, and I love it, especially the conversation that Simon and Anna then have outside before the award when Simon's just like I fucked that, like it's done, you know, and he wants to give up. I just feel like we've all been there, and I love that he gets to have that moment of coming out of that and proving himself.
Speaker 1: Wonder Man's Season two, Where does it go? What is your pitch? Where do you think happens?
Speaker 2: Yes, so I do. Yeah, my pitch would be kind of my idea that I had. I think what they should do is have von Kovac make the second season as a documentary about Simon being both an actor and a superhero. I think you can have a lot of fun there both obviously Andrew Guess, Daniela su Kreten, they really just Daniel Karen. They really want to have this show come back and maybe potentially, you know, see these guys in the movie. Kingsley basically said, like anything could happen, And I think that for Yaya, he said, the biggest thing he's interested in is like Simon's whole life, He's wanted this stardom, He's wanted this fame, he's wanted to act, and now he's got it. Like what happens, Like how does that change for him? You know? Is he gonna be Okay? So I'm very interested. I would love to see the two of them again. And I just think this is such an inventive and lovely show. Oh that ironically you know, we talked a lot about what does it mean to be a Marvel spotlight show. Well, I think Marvel now has the answer, like show this say to people, hey, watch wonder Man and then come to us with your wonder Man. We don't mean replicate wonder Man, we mean come to us with your unique take that was shaped by your life and the people who you want to you know, work with alongside and see if you can do something like this, because I do think this is the first time that we've gotten something from Marvel that DC really has never done in the same way. Now, DC did have a half an hour sitcom Powerless that was really funny, but the pilot original pilot was great, very biting. It turned into more of a standard sitcom that was kind of a damage control riff in its own way, but again very classic sitcom, a kind of like half an hour slice of life, adult existential comedy. Like neither of these people have done this in live action, and I think it is finally giving Marvel a little bit of an edge on DC, especially when we look at the TV offerings from James Gunn, which we love Creature Commandos, Piece May, but they're very standard comedy shows like they are very much about the laughs, same with Harlequin. If Marvel can cement this tone and maybe have Destin and Andrew Guest as sort of like a creative council bringing in new underrepresented under you know, seeing filmmakers and TV makers to make this into kind of like a stable for new Marvel talent. They could really build themselves up into a place where in five years and Secret Wars is done, they are ready to come out with something entirely new that can kind of shape the game.
Speaker 1: I would lovely agree. I think that there's a world where they could like high browse c w it.
Speaker 2: You know the way exactly exactly, and create.
Speaker 1: This kind of TV universe that can easily be ported into movies when time is right, I'll go. I have another thought, which is, tell me if one day there is a DC Marvel movie crossover mm hmmm, which it feels like the final bullet to be fired at the end of like all of the various phases DC phases and Marvel phases, Like it feels like at some point the money might be right and the deal might be right that they would decide to do it. If so, and there's been How many of these in comics? How many times have you see it?
Speaker 2: So, I mean so many, Like it's.
Speaker 1: Probably happened like five or six or seven times, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you include like Amaltham and the different ones where they come together or they're reimagine, there's different characters like and obviously the famous ones You're you know, You're Jlien, Avengers and stuff. So yeah, it's it's definitely got a lot of precedent, and it's what the people.
Speaker 1: Want when and if they do do it. The characters, the actors who play characters in both universes should continue to play both characters.
Speaker 3: For instance, for instance, I would lot Go Bridge, who please on Kovac in wonder Man, should also play Vassil Girkos from Supermans.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, I need to see that. Also, wouldn't like how funny would it be to see to him playing both of those roles on screen? Not just that? Yeah, yeah, like I want to see wonder Man and I also want to see Black Manta like on this is That's why this is what I agree, Jason. I love that take, and I think that in the Metas space that we're in, especially if we're going to play the obvious inevitable cord of Doom showing up and Captain America crying and being lance Tony. Then like, come on, let's have fun with it. Let's let's have Thanos and Cable like, let's do all of it.
Speaker 1: Yes, let's be silly, Let's be silly. This what a wonderful show. I'm really excited for a season two, if indeed it does happen. I'm excited for more Marvel spotlights. It doesn't seem as if they have any in the offing, but I think the success, certainly the critical success of a wonder Man, is going to help put Marvel back on the forward foot with regards to launching TV and giving them a map they can follow to uh to put some of these characters out there, and I hope they follow it because what a triumph this was.
Speaker 2: It was a total triumph. And totally agreed Jason. I also want to shout out, it's the woman who should be in charge of the MCU. Let her be in charge. Guys, we were all happy to see it. Imman Villani, Miss Marvel herself did review wonder Man. If you didn't believe me and Jason that it was good, she gave it four and a half stars, and she said watch wonder Man. And she wrote an incredibly good two page long letterbox of you, including shouting out those great needle drops like we got the you know, Madonna like a prayer that was so fun, The Superman by the Commodores, I Feel for You by sha Ka Khan like and it was Yeah. So if you don't believe us, believe in mam Villani because we love her and I can't wait her and Simon Williams like his kind of awkward insecurity matching with her fandom is just going to be so fun to see.
Speaker 1: On the next episode of Extra Division, we're diving into the biggest news of the week. That's it for this episode. Thanks for listening. Whoo x ray Vision is hosted by Jason Concepcion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abu Zafar.
Speaker 2: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan and Fay Wag.
Speaker 1: Our theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman, and Heidi, our discord moderator,