Speaker 1: Welcome back to Artists on Artists on Artists on Artists. This week on the show, we have a bunch of people who wrote memoirs.
Speaker 2: Memoirs the story and book of a life of a person. But what happens if all of those people wrote a memoir kind of surrounding the same thing. Today we sit down with five different people promoting their own memoirs, each that have crossed over in each other's lives.
Speaker 1: Now, take out your individual POV and your kindle and let's listen in.
Speaker 3: Hi, Hi, Sorry, I didn't know we were one. You'll always do that and start earlier than when I'm ready. But yeah, forever, since I read.
Speaker 4: Too, there wasn't any sort of clue that you were ready, you know, if we were waiting for you to be ready.
Speaker 5: I think we did never forget anything.
Speaker 3: That is so true middle school.
Speaker 1: I'm going to take a deep breath.
Speaker 6: Sorry, okay, hi.
Speaker 5: Hi, she was talking, She was talking.
Speaker 7: Well, I was going to just simply apologize for turning the heat up. I know that some of you prefer it cold as an iceberg, but I would like for you know, I want this to be an okay experience for everyone. I want everyone to be comfortable. Is everyone comfortable?
Speaker 2: I'm comfortable. I'm really I felt like a threat.
Speaker 1: It felt like you asked me to be comfortable instead of asking me if I am comfortable.
Speaker 7: Well, simply, I wanted to know if you're If you're comfortable, that's it.
Speaker 5: I'm great, I'm right, it's rain.
Speaker 8: Okay, then comfortable.
Speaker 5: It's all in here.
Speaker 2: My comfort level is all in here.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is mine?
Speaker 2: Well, then oh that's yours.
Speaker 3: This is mine as well, my different book and memoir. Yeah, it's interesting, that's mine.
Speaker 8: Really interesting.
Speaker 2: I guess we're all here to promote our memoirs. We're all uh grew up together in one way or another, kind of one big family. I guess you could say each with a different perspective on or you do say I think I do say.
Speaker 5: In this sense.
Speaker 1: I'm just curious what I am to you if we're going to do this. We all have a bunch of books to promote, okay, And it feels like if we start doing this, it feels like we'll never get to the books.
Speaker 6: And I'm here not for this, I'm here forday.
Speaker 2: Okay, right, Why don't we just say our name and our memoir and the relationship to this group.
Speaker 3: You can go first, Mommy, you first, mom.
Speaker 6: Well, okay, I.
Speaker 7: Am going to start, because I am always willing to fall on the sword for this family.
Speaker 8: I will go first. My name is a niece murder.
Speaker 5: Mmmm Ibu family. That's what we are.
Speaker 3: She changed our name, of course when we were in the she changed your name at it.
Speaker 7: I changed my name to what I feel like all the time. I changed my name to what I feel like all the time. And now you all carry this name, and so you're welcome, Denise Martyr. I wrote a story called The Sacrificial lamb Uh. It's a story about a woman who gives everything she has to a family who doesn't seem to, you know, uh, give back.
Speaker 8: In the same way.
Speaker 7: And it's about, of course, our dealings as a as a family band traveling across the country. And we we traveled across we were well what would you call it, dear? I would call it a family band because I thought we were making music. No, I'm getting to intense. I'm going to reel it back. I love everyone in this.
Speaker 8: Room, I really do. And I wouldn't have spent so.
Speaker 7: Many years raising you, conducting you in the family band if I did not feel the same way. And I think this book the Sacrificial Lamb, available in Barnes and Noble exclusively. I don't want anyone else having it. I believe that this book will we'll shed some light on some things that the public may be curious about.
Speaker 8: So that's me. And it's nice to be in a room with all.
Speaker 3: Of you again, you too, mommy, And I'm glad we could finally make this happen. My memoir, of course, is called to me, to me, and.
Speaker 5: I'm laughing at and that's so you.
Speaker 4: I think I'm literally laughing at a movie I watched last night.
Speaker 3: Well, if you could be present with us right now instead of back in your entertainment then in the man caves, that'd be really I didn't.
Speaker 5: Think about hilario films.
Speaker 3: I watched, Thank You, Thank you, Sara. Apology wasn't a real apology?
Speaker 4: Go ahead to me, to me, I can't to me, to me, No, you wanted me to be upset, Go ahead, I didn't.
Speaker 3: But we can talk about this in another twenty years when I sit in the same fucking room with you again. Another chapter anyway, Mommy, So like you see like.
Speaker 7: This, you just have to tune him out, him out, tune him out.
Speaker 9: I gave you tune him out to the tune.
Speaker 5: Guys, guys, guys, we have to get through this.
Speaker 2: We have to please continue your introduce.
Speaker 5: Apologize like that.
Speaker 3: Just the good thing that I think we've found as a family is that art is sort of or trauma or abuse or you know, whatever it may be. It's sort of an intro to our art. And Mommy has always been a real benefactor of art and trauma with art. And sorry, okay, And I think what's been interesting about my You're still in another place you're not thinking about right here, right now.
Speaker 8: Let him let him, don't let him do this.
Speaker 2: You don't let him trigger you don't.
Speaker 8: He's laying a landmine for you to walk through.
Speaker 5: You can't.
Speaker 8: You can't allow him to do that.
Speaker 3: Literally, not A big part of the climax of my memoir is just a memory of your I know you haven't read it yet, smile laughing at me when I broke a bone. And that's sort of something that I explore here. And it seems mundane, but it obviously isn't. It's good to be in the same room with all of you again. And you know, I hope we can finally get our kids together. Definitely going to read your book.
Speaker 1: Wo, Melendus is high.
Speaker 3: I didn't know you had a Melinda.
Speaker 1: But hire just forgetting my kid's names.
Speaker 2: Okay, you want to introduce yourself.
Speaker 6: Okay, sorry, I.
Speaker 2: Here comes the tears again.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 8: Here it is.
Speaker 10: Being with my siblings makes me act out in the way that I don't like.
Speaker 5: Hi.
Speaker 3: My name is Tilt.
Speaker 1: And my memoir is called Cry Baby Cry in the River of Love.
Speaker 6: I'm the youngest. I grew up in a family band. And what's so funny is I finally found my voice.
Speaker 3: Even though I've been singing since I.
Speaker 4: Was a kid.
Speaker 8: Well, Tilly, Billy, it's nice to have you here.
Speaker 1: It's good to see everyone. Even though it's hard for me to say that it is good to see everyone. It's hard for me to be in this environment. Mom mm hmmm, sis mm hmm. But I'm glad i'm here.
Speaker 5: Your hair pink.
Speaker 3: I like it, and it's good for the book, for us all to be here together. For the books plural mainly to me to me by Shandy Redhorn, which is my name, Shandy danger name to me to me, Well, Shandy Martyr was a little uh, you're.
Speaker 5: Right, a bad name.
Speaker 8: Well, I liked Shandy Martyr. I thought it was a nice name.
Speaker 5: Planning for when we named you.
Speaker 3: So why did you name me Shandy Marder?
Speaker 7: Mommy, Well, Shandy is well, it's the name of an alcohol that your father and I used to drink.
Speaker 2: Oh, mixed of brandy the name.
Speaker 7: Of a drink, so it's a special It was a proprietary mixture that we would mix together.
Speaker 8: It is, of course, sherry and Brandon.
Speaker 5: We gotta stop doing this.
Speaker 2: We gotta get through this.
Speaker 8: Why didn't you introduce yoursel ahead?
Speaker 5: You go ahead, you go ahead.
Speaker 3: I'm shutting down.
Speaker 4: Sorry, do you want us to wait for you?
Speaker 8: Okay?
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: My name is Don Murder. I am the father of these three beautiful kids and the ex husband of the wonderful woman.
Speaker 8: Over there Jesus Christ.
Speaker 7: Say what if I said, when you say wonderful woman, I know what you mean.
Speaker 4: I mean you're a wonderful woman and I miss you every day. When you left in the middle of the night, I said, don't leave, don't come back. And somehow the narrative has shifted that I said for you to go.
Speaker 5: My book is called Hey you Make a Better Door than a window.
Speaker 4: A wacky Dad's life to raise in three musical children and don't for.
Speaker 1: The listener at home. Musical has quotes on it. You saw the title of the book, right, it's just for my musical children.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know what I don't appreciate, And maybe I should save this for the discussion, for I don't appreciate our lives turned into pums and jokes.
Speaker 4: I wanted to write a lighthearted bathroom read about how much fun I had with your family, with my family, That's what I wrote. I just wrote about the silly times when you wore underwear on your head and you were running around. You were saying, I'm the underwear monster. Dad.
Speaker 1: They're selling your book at Urban Outfitters because it's a bathroom one liner.
Speaker 6: You can't call that a memoir.
Speaker 4: Well, it's about you, guys, and how much joy you brought me, and how funny it was to be a dad, and.
Speaker 5: How silly it was a arguments we got into having.
Speaker 4: You were out of town for the weekend because you were taking the two of them for that duet that they were doing at the Disney Opera House in LA and I had to be with util and I had to teach you how to use a feminine pad.
Speaker 5: Remember that crazy story.
Speaker 3: It's in my book book.
Speaker 1: You guys, when you guys were dad had to teach me how to use a pad. You wrote it in your book, my book, you guys.
Speaker 2: Weren't there, thought, well, a different perspective.
Speaker 11: My dad taught me how to use a pad.
Speaker 6: And you were out of town singing at the Disney Opera House.
Speaker 2: Well, in my book, I was there, Remember I I was.
Speaker 4: I was late for your musical when you were Lord Oklahoma, and I came in on your solo and I and I stood and yeah, and everyone gave you a standing ovation because they thought that I was standing for you and I had just arrived and I.
Speaker 5: Gave you a standing ovation. You know that was just a funny moment.
Speaker 3: What's funny. It's in my book as my daddy gave me a standing ovation. I didn't know. You just walked in. But there'll be a second print and.
Speaker 8: You're going to revise it.
Speaker 5: I just don't understand.
Speaker 3: Why are we here if it's not for revisions.
Speaker 11: I mean, honestly, retweet.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: I've never seen someone cry. We'll say retweet that was crazy. I'm sorry, everybody. I am happy to be here. I only realized when I walked in and saw all of your covers that I'm maybe not a positive influence in these books. So I'm kind of dealing with that. But I don't want to take over the conversation here. I'd love for my wonderful, wonderful third child to introduce themselves.
Speaker 2: Hi. My name is Otto Martyr. I wrote the book Skateboarding Through Life, series of short stories and ideas about how guys can just chill. Yeah. You might remember me as a little Otto.
Speaker 12: The monkey boy of the family, always doing his monkey little tricks.
Speaker 5: M it's not.
Speaker 2: Funny to me. Yeah, it's trauma.
Speaker 3: Can ask you a question, brother, Trauma. I know, I know, I know.
Speaker 5: Go ahead.
Speaker 1: We're in your book about skateboarding is when dad taught me how to use a pad like I'd like for you to read it because I think that's not your story to tell, so I'd like to hear your stories.
Speaker 5: It's also it's it's advice.
Speaker 2: It's it's I've gleamed advice through my life.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: This is a chapter called Red, White and Pad.
Speaker 5: So that's where it is.
Speaker 2: It's a full chapter chapter in my skateboarding and life advice. Sometimes you complete a trick, and sometimes a trick completes you. Sometimes a trick takes years and years and years of hard work and dedication to figure out. And that trick is the greatest trick of all the women's biology, the trick that God played on every woman. Men, if you're listening, be kind to your woman during this month. She doesn't know what she's up against, and you don't either.
Speaker 8: During this month.
Speaker 5: Men, if you're listening.
Speaker 2: Men, because I have an audiobook recorded, I wrote it for the audiobook.
Speaker 3: Maybe in the second print you can just make that a little bit.
Speaker 2: I'm not changing my word. I'm not changing it.
Speaker 3: Well okay, yeah, everyone's memory is different.
Speaker 2: Women, listen up. Be kind to your guide during your time too. You don't know what's happening. It's all hormonal.
Speaker 8: You don't know what's happening.
Speaker 5: Are all hormonal? Taught him that, I'm giving did you?
Speaker 3: Where did they come from? I did teach you when they got the bloody reds again, they're being.
Speaker 2: Cuckoo, cuckoo.
Speaker 7: I did teach them that because it's important to know for men to know why we're crazy.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's important for men to know.
Speaker 8: Why why these things happen.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 7: I'd like to read my section of this book because I think I think you'll find it interesting.
Speaker 3: Who's the best selling one of everyone? That's the really question me, I think, okay, I think so, just wondering.
Speaker 5: Yes, I mean, I'm not proud of it.
Speaker 7: Chapter fourteen, betrayal, betrayal, betrayal. My daughter couldn't wait until I was back in town to have her period. A period is supposed to be something for a mother and a daughter to share. I was so excited. I've planned a party for the day I thought it would be. But she didn't have a period on that day. Oh my god, she had it early when I was out of town. This is just one of many problems I have.
Speaker 11: How dare you?
Speaker 2: The full chapter?
Speaker 11: So that wasn't call it how dare you?
Speaker 4: I will say, I will say, honey, I do love how you in all your chapters.
Speaker 5: And by the way, that's not the end of it.
Speaker 4: And then you say with another chapter you always go, this is one of many problems.
Speaker 5: Oh, and there's so much more. I love the way you do.
Speaker 1: You worry people are gonna think that's the end of the book because the chapter's ending. I think it's important to to communicate with people.
Speaker 11: I'm just sorry.
Speaker 1: You know, my period isn't quite over yet. I'm sorry my period couldn't be on a perfect timer for you, mom. And I'm sorry my older sister was a little bit more perfect for you.
Speaker 7: I'm just saying that her period landed perfectly on her period party.
Speaker 8: And didn't you remember your period party?
Speaker 1: Wasn't it so fun?
Speaker 7: We got a ferris wheel and and face paint and a clown.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, we had a fairis wheel and that clown.
Speaker 11: And you loved it, didn't you.
Speaker 3: I felt really crazy. I felt really embarrassed.
Speaker 2: Woady read the exact because you wrote about the period party in your memoir.
Speaker 3: You read mind courses. Thanks brother. Absolutely see. I've memorized the page because that's the one that really keeps me up at night. Chapter twenty six, interesting chapter Mommy, what nothing? Mommy looked at me today again, and she's always thinking about my sister. What's your name? My name is tilt, you bitch? Tilt Tilt? Okay, tilt my name? Sorry, I forgot. Mommy was always looking at.
Speaker 5: Just changed it.
Speaker 3: I looked at mommy, and the fairest we was spinning wild behind her head. She didn't know how badly this party had made me feel. Daddy was gone with the band again, Brother and Tilt were nowhere to be found. As always, there was popcorn, candy and all of my friends. They love me so much. They look at me like an idol. I got my period today and my mom said, congratulations, you're a woman. I said, you're the real woman, Mommy. I love you, and I'm sorry my family's so weird. I'm sorry they're not here. And then all of a sudden, I looked up and I knew in that moment that despite all of the things, the ferris wheel and all of the celebration and being the star child wouldn't make up for how little my other family, who wasn't here, thought of me. That was the most sad day of my entire life.
Speaker 7: Yes, beautiful, and I just want to commend you for, you know, for putting it all out there and be so honest about about where the pain comes from. It's it's you know, it's it's tough to open your eyes sometimes to see yourself in print. But this is I'm really proud of you for taking this step.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Sometimes the parties, it's not clear where the pain is, and the pain can be in the biggest party that's been thrown for you for all time, and it can still be the worst day of your life.
Speaker 5: Can I be honest with you something?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 4: You guys don't know. Your mother wouldn't let me see you when you were on your periods. Well, I said, she said, she's I know, she said, the rad monster they will get you. She's she describes you as monsters.
Speaker 1: Wait, Daddy, so you were there all the time.
Speaker 3: You were going to war for a quick week.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was fake. I was staying at the Ramada Inn downtown.
Speaker 2: You were lying about war.
Speaker 5: Well, like I wasn't lying to you. I could see you.
Speaker 4: We would go to the skatepark and Brad taught you how to do a wheelie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember how you taught me how to do a whel on a skateboard. It doesn't even make sense.
Speaker 5: No one's ever done it before. It's my own thing I figured out.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry I wouldn't let you see our daughters when they were on their periods.
Speaker 3: I have something I want to share from my book.
Speaker 5: I do want to hear a little bit of a justification real quick.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 7: And the reason, of course, is because because of our heritage. Have you heard the legend in our village, Your great great great great great great grandmother lived in a village that believed a period monster would come into the night and steal the families finances. I wanted to protect us. And if you were logging in and out of the bank account during the time of the month that our daughters were on their periods, well notes we could have lost, as.
Speaker 1: We could have.
Speaker 5: Stretch.
Speaker 4: Also, I do resent that it's my ancestors. You said, it's my great.
Speaker 11: Great great great grand great great Greg.
Speaker 5: It's my fault.
Speaker 4: I can't see my own daughter, my own daughters on their own periods, can't.
Speaker 8: You almost lost?
Speaker 1: You're doing the fake cry the garland there's a tornado thing, and I'm.
Speaker 4: Over here teaching rew. I'm teaching Tilts how to use a feminine pat and I go. I gotta go right now. This is why it might come up soon. I have to leave because I couldn't even be there when you wanted to read something.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's what no, please, I want to hear it.
Speaker 3: No, you don't need to hear my p.
Speaker 2: I the way you you kind of put your words together in your book, I thought it was interesting. It's more poetic.
Speaker 1: Well, if my brother wants to hear it, I'll read it from my brother.
Speaker 5: I want to hear it too.
Speaker 3: I'm open, I'm I'm here, are and I.
Speaker 4: I would say, you asked us to sit on nether side of you? What you asked? You said advitations?
Speaker 3: Well, I also asked to reschedule because I had my period last week and and it's over now, and so we can all sit together.
Speaker 5: Just chose to sit with the parents. Thing is interesting.
Speaker 10: The scariest moment happens once a month when I lose control of my body and somehow I lose my daddy every time. Why does dad go to war every time I don't feel well? And why does he come back and I feel better? Am I the reason he's gone?
Speaker 5: Do I? Cause?
Speaker 6: War is the war inside?
Speaker 5: Where is it outside?
Speaker 1: I was confused, mother, if you told me he was leaving, I thought I was the reason.
Speaker 5: He was going.
Speaker 2: And can I say I loved how you wrote that chapter in the voice of your younger self.
Speaker 5: Really nice?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, I mean that is One of the things about my piece is that it follows each year, and each chapter number correlates to the age I was. So Chapter one is a couple of Google gagas Dad Mama, and then chapter two.
Speaker 2: When the future, when you're in chapter one kind of forty fifty.
Speaker 1: Yes, I just had Ai take care of I Love the Future chapter.
Speaker 5: I didn't like what Ai said about me.
Speaker 2: We'll get over it.
Speaker 7: I'd like to talk about something, and it's it's something that came up in all of our books. I believe because I, you know, I did my homework. I want to know I read them all.
Speaker 3: I didn't know you read myn Mommy.
Speaker 8: Of course I did.
Speaker 3: Think.
Speaker 8: Of course I did, Darling. It was very good.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 2: I Mommy's favorite.
Speaker 7: I want to talk about our appearance on the Jay Leno Show when we had a family band performance that well, some people say was out of tune, and I believe it because it was because we were out of tune with each other leading up to the performance, and when they cut back to Jay after the performance was done, he said, uh, all right, which was something he's never said, you know, and it invoked sort of a feeling in all of our stomachs.
Speaker 8: That wasn't right.
Speaker 2: I think it'd probably be best to watch the clip of that performance. Let's uh, let's roll the clip of that performance.
Speaker 8: We were singing what were we singing? Banana pancakes?
Speaker 5: Pancakes?
Speaker 11: Can't you see that?
Speaker 5: No need to go outside?
Speaker 3: Outside, to go outside?
Speaker 11: Wolf?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 1: And whoever uploaded that to Vine? I didn't even know you could do that? Can I say something that's what ruined us? I'll say it is when it went by Ron Vine, sorry saying brother, to.
Speaker 2: Be fair, it wasn't as bad as I remember it being.
Speaker 5: It was fine.
Speaker 2: It was fine the cover of it.
Speaker 4: Can I read I'd like to read my excerpt from from from that experience. One of my favorite experiences was going to Burbank, California and seeing the one and only Jay Little. I had a wonderful time with my gorgeous family saying one of my favorite songs of all time, Jack Johnson.
Speaker 5: Backstage, I met Kevin Eubanks.
Speaker 4: I even said to Jay, hey, why don't you ask me one of those jaywalking questions? He said, no, you looks like you'd answer all of them, right. You look like a smart guy. Hoo, Jay Little called me a smart guy. After then we went to claim Jumper Tilt got on the scale and weighed the exact weight of her meal, and so we actually didn't have to pay for it.
Speaker 5: Then we stopped by the Warner Brothers a lot.
Speaker 4: We all sat on the friend's couch and had such a fun time.
Speaker 5: Exactly how I remember it.
Speaker 3: At the same moment, someone could same moment of the same moment, I'll go.
Speaker 2: Okay, sometimes when you're on a long board, it's all smooth sally, and sometimes you hit a crack and hit the curb. Man, if this happens to you, to get up and shake it off. And ladies, if you're looking for a good guy, look no further than Jay Leno himself. This was a moment that defined the rest of my life in a negative way. From this moment, I would always be hurt, always be shaken, always be broken, always be looking for something that answers the central question, am I good enough for this world? Or will my legacy die? Just like every skateboard I've ever owned broken on an allie, Ladies, if you're looking for advice on how to get guys, looks no further. Did you know that ninety of women are single. You got to put yourself out there.
Speaker 4: This feels like a couple books in one.
Speaker 8: This is a few different books in one.
Speaker 2: If you see a guy that's in pain, be the first one to go talk to him. It's actually more important than you think. To be continued.
Speaker 5: Why do you surprise? What are you surprised? I pitched. I didn't know that. They added that.
Speaker 2: I said, big letter to be continued dot dot dot, and you turn the page and there it is.
Speaker 3: So you have a ghost writer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I'm not a ghostwriter.
Speaker 6: It sounds like a ghostroute.
Speaker 3: What do you mean.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, not a ghost.
Speaker 3: I wrote ourselves and just toiled years and.
Speaker 5: Years, and I always to work it.
Speaker 2: I'm writing everything. I'm just audio writing it.
Speaker 6: You said that about your algebra homework, and it didn't make sense.
Speaker 2: I'm writing my audio. I'm audio recording my algebra homework. Like I said, two plus two equals four A plus b equal c. So if you take the C and divide it each by two, you're gonna get A over two plus B over two equal C.
Speaker 3: Over two equals ninety percent of women are single.
Speaker 2: So and that's wow, it's true. I looked it up based on based on science.
Speaker 3: Okay, I didn't know. No, I'm not a scientist. I'm a writer, because I wrote everywhere always has.
Speaker 2: To be funny, it can't be smart.
Speaker 5: We got that big ceramic banana, and you used to walk around here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, monkey Boy, when you would walk in and go, who clog the toilet again and going to monkey mo, monkey Boy, and you'd be.
Speaker 3: On the skateboard for you.
Speaker 5: I'm missing so much. I could do that. I could give me monkey Boy.
Speaker 2: No, don't ask Ai to give you monkey Boy bad things.
Speaker 3: If you upload a picture then and do that. Yeah, and the A, I will do it. And it worked very well.
Speaker 5: It worked well.
Speaker 2: I have a memoir of the jay Leno experience that we went through.
Speaker 8: I thought you'd never ask.
Speaker 1: Chapter sixteen, This is gonna hurt.
Speaker 5: Wow. Just wow.
Speaker 7: By the way, the book isn't over yet. I worked my butt off sending headshots to Burbank, California so that my family could have a wonderful time. And this is the thanks I get. This is the thanks I get. Just a breakfast in bed. This is the thanks I get.
Speaker 8: It's my birthday and that's it.
Speaker 7: That's all I get. What shouldn't it be more? Shouldn't it be more?
Speaker 5: Why?
Speaker 8: Why on earth did I do this? I am a sacrificial lamb.
Speaker 5: Oh the title of the book.
Speaker 8: And that's just one of the many problems I had about that.
Speaker 2: Such short chapters.
Speaker 1: And was that the final chapter of the book, because you didn't say.
Speaker 7: So, that was the problem, one of the problems I had about that. Yeah, and that's how I end every chapter.
Speaker 8: And then we'll sue that.
Speaker 7: So if you had read to chapter seventeen, you would know that it starts going.
Speaker 8: By the way, it isn't over yet.
Speaker 7: Look, I felt tired and disrespected on that trip I did. I felt disrespected because I wanted to, you know, do some extra stuff on Jay Leno and and nobody wanted to do the extra stuff.
Speaker 2: You wanted to do. Stand up mom, and it just wasn't there yet. We kept on telling you your type five was very loose.
Speaker 1: It was well, you begged Jay and it was so uncomfortable for us.
Speaker 6: We were just kids and we had to see you.
Speaker 7: Like all you had to do may sit there and you don't make out with him was so disgusting.
Speaker 2: You said, I'll make out with you if you let me do my tight five.
Speaker 6: It's in front of Dad, like you kept it loose.
Speaker 4: It was so loose, and it was also very It was almost Bob Newhart esk. It was like a conversation between a milkman and a post or something.
Speaker 2: I think we have a clip. Put let's just watch a little.
Speaker 5: Clip of this standard session. I filmed it on my BlackBerry.
Speaker 7: Jay, Jay, I want you to listen to this, Jay, I want you to listen.
Speaker 5: Here's the deal here.
Speaker 7: The milkman turns to the paper boy and he says, I have three cans of milk. And the paper boy says, extra extra read all about what? And the milkman says, well, I have three cans of milk. Won't you listen to me? Then a Jew, a Catholic, and a Muslim walk into a bar and they ask the bartender say, no way, I can get some milk around here.
Speaker 8: They all go to a golf course. They're having a laugh.
Speaker 7: There are five drinks in right, there are five drinks in ah. Worm man walks by, a woman walks fine, is so beautiful? All the Jew, the Catholic, the muscle and they all look at each other and they go wow, Wow, Wow, Wow, the milkman, the paper boy.
Speaker 8: They're off to the side. Now they're having their own internal dialogue and they're going.
Speaker 7: Did you see the Yankees one today? I saw the Yankees one today. Now the Catholic overhears this and he said, you said the Yankees one today?
Speaker 5: Anything, get out of my car, okay, watching.
Speaker 1: Your mom cheat on your dad in order to do that.
Speaker 5: Just to do setups, never hit a joke, just all.
Speaker 3: Set up and stand upset.
Speaker 5: Hold on, how is that racist?
Speaker 3: Do you say you're a Democrat?
Speaker 2: Dad?
Speaker 11: No, daddy, how it was sucking asshole?
Speaker 8: Honey, thank you, honey.
Speaker 5: That's when we.
Speaker 11: Created fucking house.
Speaker 5: That's when we all started.
Speaker 1: Remember, this is when we all decided to sleep on the bottom bunk together every night.
Speaker 5: Of our three bunk bed that I bought you.
Speaker 3: The twin the twins too much. It was so squashed.
Speaker 1: That's when we got really close. It was when there was a lot of That's when you guys started fighting. And it was and it was hard, it was so hard, had to foot, had to foot.
Speaker 5: It was like by choice, you had enough beds, you were all even in the same room.
Speaker 3: And you made me go in the middle, which it's like the squashiest part that's the most uncomfortable.
Speaker 7: I did read about your chapter about being squished in the middle on the bed.
Speaker 3: You read that one I did? Was that before or after you were fucking jay Leno?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Chandy, you know study thinks that's what you think.
Speaker 5: The word.
Speaker 2: I will break out physically.
Speaker 1: It hurts the deeper than you, the harder it hurts.
Speaker 3: Is that okay? To go ahead and read the part you are okay with us?
Speaker 5: Go ahead.
Speaker 3: I'd love to hear it because the word isn't it? A few times? Sorry? I could replace that with no.
Speaker 8: She has to learn.
Speaker 5: Good for her everywhere where she's going to have it is.
Speaker 3: It's in many places, especially if you're with mommy. Daddy said, see this is the thing that it makes you.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, that is what I didn't say.
Speaker 2: What are you talking?
Speaker 5: I think you're inventing things now again, Mummy.
Speaker 8: It seems, Mummy seems I can do. Don't be who shady?
Speaker 11: After all?
Speaker 3: Mummy done for this.
Speaker 2: To be edgyrying.
Speaker 3: I don't want to crush I don't want to crush out.
Speaker 13: She's my memory of things, and everybody's memory is different.
Speaker 8: It's actually beautiful, fine, go ahead.
Speaker 3: I mean that was our biggest hit. Thank you.
Speaker 5: It's my memory of things that everybody's different. Course, they just said it was being played on k rock every day.
Speaker 3: Our originals.
Speaker 2: Kevin could not enough of our slow ballad O k R o Q K rock everybody's memories.
Speaker 8: They loved it.
Speaker 14: Dude, would be really love it, brother, brother, No, I don't want to do it if no one else wants to the day.
Speaker 8: Four cups of coffee.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 3: I mean that is my favorite ballad that we ever did, and it would be really neat if we could all do it together again one day, only if we totally agreed and everything.
Speaker 5: Read it.
Speaker 2: Read it before I go off on KROK.
Speaker 5: I have four chapters about that radio station.
Speaker 3: Fuck man, fuck, here we are again on the bottom monk of Sorry, I need my glasses.
Speaker 8: It's okay, you can say please start. Please say it from the top so we.
Speaker 3: All know, don't I couldn't. I read it wrong. I said fuck fuck, but it's actually should I change the word sorry, But I just need to stay.
Speaker 5: We can't take that.
Speaker 3: Fuck man. Fuck, I'm here you sure, daddy, I'm here again in the in the bunk with them. They think it's fun. They think it's fun, and it used to be. When his feet were in my face, all I saw were the toenails. When the toenails are in front of my eyes, I.
Speaker 2: Just can't get to read again.
Speaker 7: Is it?
Speaker 2: Is it sad or is it happy?
Speaker 3: It's you'll see when I book is a memory, so it doesn't have to be funny or sad to be written about. It's my memory. The tonailed again. I'm here again in this I feel like I should stop. Okay, you guys, Okay, I'm gonna do it. Fuck man, I'm here again in this bunk. Fuck fuck fuck me. Wow, I'm hearing this.
Speaker 5: His toenails? Ask what about his toenails?
Speaker 2: I have to know if this is positive or negative?
Speaker 8: Is we have to hear?
Speaker 3: His toenails are in front of my two eyes. When I look at them closely, they remind me of knives. He doesn't clip them enough. And sometimes I think that's funny, like when they scratch me on the cheek and they tickle me while I sleep.
Speaker 5: Again Negative positive.
Speaker 3: And sometimes I think maybe he's threatening my eyes so to speak. Over, I hope we get a TV in here soon.
Speaker 5: It over it's over.
Speaker 3: And I can watch a screen instead of his weird feet.
Speaker 2: Wown't believe memoir.
Speaker 8: Honey, your trauma is so valid and this it's very powerful stuff. And I wonder if your brothers ever apologized.
Speaker 2: To I couldn't tell if that was trauma or a happy memory. Well, I was so in the middle.
Speaker 3: It's more about mommy and daddy because they didn't teach you to clip your toenails, and they didn't teach you unkept. He was uncupt and who was in the squashy metal of the unkeptness on my left and right?
Speaker 11: Boy's monkey boy, moy boy everything.
Speaker 12: I think.
Speaker 11: I think Sany has a good point.
Speaker 1: I think you guys have a weird way, the point that we're not being and women are viruses.
Speaker 4: Well, here's something I did want to bring up that I'm kind of embarrassed about. I don't be know that it's in all of your memoirs. There was a time we took a trip to a root but we all shared a hotel room. I didn't know you guys were in the room. I came out of the shower, I was naked, and somehow my description the description of seeing me naked is in all of your books.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not very nice. I think it's I didn't know that that was such a core memory for you guys. I was literally just putting on my bathing suit.
Speaker 1: Bouch that Bulture article that put all of our interpretations of his body from all of our memoirs up together.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and then they put it in that word cloud.
Speaker 5: Were the biggest.
Speaker 8: Scary, crooked trauma, crooked one ball used.
Speaker 4: You all used one ball? That was the one connector why did you guys have to put that in? You know, I wish you would have told me that you were talking about my reader in your books. You know, I think that I didn't know that was a huge deal.
Speaker 3: I don't know people didn't only have one ball because of that moment, and so that's a big sexuality alignment.
Speaker 5: It was a sexual awakening seat that one ball.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, I never want to see that again.
Speaker 3: Then when I saw the next person that had two, I went, WHOA Daddy.
Speaker 5: Sounds like a bit of a sexual darkening for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it was not.
Speaker 3: An awakening to me. I just want to clarify.
Speaker 1: That's what happens with humans, right, Something happens and it all ripples in a different way.
Speaker 6: All right, did you write about it in your book?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Oh, I didn't bring that up.
Speaker 4: I brought I brought up that one time we all went to the Bob's Big Boy Classic car show and sat around.
Speaker 2: And we remember we took a picture of the hot rod. Yeah, how could I forget?
Speaker 5: That was awesome?
Speaker 2: How did you write in your book?
Speaker 5: Oh gosh, boy, oh boy, what a wonderful day.
Speaker 4: Went over down to Bob's Big Boy saw all the classic cars, didn't even know what was happening, got a classic chocolate malt. Reminded me of getting chocolate malts with my dad, and I'm glad I got to share it with my kids. Oh what's this? A big old classic car that he even brought the car from Batman. It really got Tilts excited.
Speaker 2: We had a wonderfu book, the most sold book. I don't old Man's blog.
Speaker 1: Customer is not this voice.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, I want to shout out the people that you know put all the cool picture collages together.
Speaker 5: I think it's mostly collages.
Speaker 4: There's a teenager that's really popular on Tumblr that did it, and it's been really fun.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think we all know why it went so popular. It's because we're only in the second half of your book. The first half your book is when you traveled the world with those three people before you met Mom, and your trials and tribulations on the quest to find yourself.
Speaker 3: That's why we think.
Speaker 5: So yes.
Speaker 4: Selling the first half of my book being you know, about being one of the founding men or members of the Source family, a very famous cult.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Sure, you know.
Speaker 4: We had moved to Hawaii and then the cult leader died because he said God will save me and he fell off a hang glider and died.
Speaker 5: That's real, you know. That's that. I was there for that, and that was part of what happened for me. But but this is my life. This is the life I care about. I love you, guys. I love you. I miss you, honey. Where do you even live?
Speaker 11: I miss you, honey.
Speaker 1: I'm in Temecula.
Speaker 3: Where are you?
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm in Riverside. Too close either, it's not it's not nothing, you know.
Speaker 2: Just a long enough of a driver.
Speaker 11: It's just not going to.
Speaker 8: Work, unfortunately.
Speaker 7: But no, it is nice to see this family together again. I want to share a different chapter that I wrote.
Speaker 8: It's called pain.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 7: The year is twenty thirteen. A flash mob is appearing outside the Americana brand. I think I want to marry you, they say. But all I can say is I wish I had remarried my family when it counted. I wish I had been there for them. I wish I hadn't been there so selfish all the time. I wish I hadn't been thinking about me.
Speaker 11: With realization she's.
Speaker 2: American, it makes you here really be mad at her.
Speaker 7: I wish I wish I had a second chance. But no, I think I'll just write this memoir get attention that way. But no, it won't work, because the true thing I want is forgiveness. I was a bad family man, band manager, a mamager so to speak.
Speaker 8: Ha ha, Look, I gotta figure this out.
Speaker 1: I gotta clear my head.
Speaker 8: I gotta clear my head.
Speaker 2: Sounds like she's going to do something.
Speaker 5: I have to do.
Speaker 8: I have to do something. Hold on, I'm not done with this. I'm not done with this book yet. Wait right here.
Speaker 3: Wait, this is crazy, mom. I'm sorry at the end to wait right here. I'm not done writing the book. Wait right here.
Speaker 5: Whoa whoa, whoa, whoa there partner, WHOA. I know you're enjoying the episode, but there's something else you might enjoy. You see these hats that make us look like we work on set somewhere.
Speaker 7: You might like these hats if you're a fan of the pod.
Speaker 1: And if you're a fan of the pod, you can wear the pod with.
Speaker 4: Merch, Yes, but cool merch merch. That doesn't tell anyone that you like the pod except for someone else who likes the pod. We have shirt and we have hats that have all different things on them like TV shows, internet videos, movies.
Speaker 5: This one's bagged so I could send it right to you if you buy it. You can buy that one I'll give you on there's hat in a bag.
Speaker 7: You can order it an artist on artists on, artists on artists dot com.
Speaker 1: And while you're on our website, side our guestbook.
Speaker 5: Come on and play some games. I think we got a watermelon drop on there.
Speaker 4: Come on, come on, enjoy the rest of the episode and give your friends a kids.
Speaker 7: And the second book that I'm going to release, it's about my journey to forgiveness. This is my journey to apology and self actualization. So I'm sorry, I'm sorry I didn't let you in the house when they were on their periods. I'm sorry all a lot of this was period stuff, and I'm sorry about all of it. And I'm sorry that I've forced you to play in a band that well sucked.
Speaker 6: This is crazy, mom, because I have a chapter in my book called pain that i'd like to read for you.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, I'm just inspired, of course.
Speaker 1: Holy moly, Holy darn moly, look at the debris on the ground of all the lives I've lived.
Speaker 6: Sometimes you read your expert you got a letter, I'm so sorry something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so go ahead here I do.
Speaker 1: I too, won't forgiveness. I just it feels like everyone else clear throated this whole time.
Speaker 2: I think I've been scratching the whole time.
Speaker 4: Honestly, just imagine you're at the Elks log. You can't get us through a single thing without everyone clearing their throats. Just don't stop, ELK.
Speaker 2: I was always listening to Jack.
Speaker 1: I miss my family. I wish my family would still love me. I guess in writing this book. I guess in writing this book, I found myself back to where I began, Like a dog chasing its tail. I miss them. I miss their disgusting toenails.
Speaker 2: And I didn't know I had a bad toails.
Speaker 3: Doesn't sound like thro It's not her fault.
Speaker 6: I missed him every day, coat coat, yes, please.
Speaker 1: Some days I dream of the moment where we can all be together and just air out our grievances and for and forgivenesses. Wow, wow, the run the river runs dry.
Speaker 8: Milkman said to the paper boy, what a pair of legs on that thing?
Speaker 4: Honestly, no, that is clearing her throat. Sometimes she gets joked in her throat, I swear to God. And sometimes I was trying.
Speaker 5: To go to sleep.
Speaker 2: Look at the legs all that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I'll be in the middle of the night she a good night, and she'll just scream like and the doctor was a woman, and sorry.
Speaker 3: Why did you write the legs on that girl?
Speaker 5: Why did you say that?
Speaker 3: At the end, because I couldn't quite follow the beginning, because I was I had a little thing, well.
Speaker 1: I was saying something similar to mom that I thought that I wanted forgiven it, and I am asked and I'm saying I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I was a family member that everyone kind of equally disliked. It's okay, I'm sorry. It is your family member that everyone wishes they just like, I'm sorry, I'm a family member who can't sell a damn.
Speaker 11: Copy of her book.
Speaker 5: That we do all feel those things. It's not your fault that that's exactly who you are.
Speaker 3: It's totally fine.
Speaker 5: It's fine.
Speaker 3: You didn't be like this on purpose. You didn't be like this pose.
Speaker 11: You were born this way unlikable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is great for my book and all our books, and if we could cut that, that part would be great. But off camera, I do want to say that everything about you that isn't great is helpful to sell books. Did anyone else ask for forgiveness in the end.
Speaker 11: Of their book?
Speaker 3: I actually have a chapter to awesome like mother, like you did everyone read my book?
Speaker 5: Copy me?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 8: Sure, I think it's parallel thought.
Speaker 3: Assholes.
Speaker 2: Sometimes life hits you in the face, like a skateboard that's just flown off of a half pipe. Sometimes you have to listen to that skateboard. It was when I was listening to k r o Q, one of six point seven, the only channel in Los Angeles the plays classic modern and New age rock. Talking anywhere from one four sponsor does not play the type of music that one of six point seven. This is all my book.
Speaker 3: He any coughs, guys speaking, come on, come.
Speaker 2: On, And when that skateboard. It was that day that I was listening that beautiful song from pod came on The Youth of the Nation, and the lines go we are, we are the youth of the Nation made me realize that the nation does exist in the youth, and the youth does describe the nation. And I had things that I need to apologize for. Men, if you're listening, I hope you become a guy kind of like my father, an amazing man, he did amazing things in his life, and a shadow I'm constantly trying to chase and women. If you're listening, I hope you become a little bit like the women in my life, because if you're looking to score with a guy and put out the right way, dang, these tricks in my life really know how to do that?
Speaker 3: Certainly does.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be weird. I don't want to be weird. But let's just say my sisters could get anything they wanted, and boy did they and my mom, who.
Speaker 3: Knows that I can who are we?
Speaker 2: I guess in the end, life is a little bit like this. I'm not a perfect person. There's things I wouldn't change. This is, I guess the reason I found a reason for me, the reason I choose to be the reason, and the reason is my family. Tuba steak kind of. I took liberty and changed of I took liberty and change the last word the end, keep writing.
Speaker 8: Here's my number, okay if your phone number up.
Speaker 2: Because I love this family. I love my mommy, I love my biggie Sissy, I love my daddy, and I love my tilt. And I think we shall all write a memoir together, yeah, called bringing It back Home. And maybe instead of the memoir, we sing it.
Speaker 3: I was gonna sing what if instead of a memoir, it's a song.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just like every memoir should just be a song.
Speaker 5: Let's just make it a song.
Speaker 3: Ready, let's make it a song.
Speaker 6: Can't you see that it's just rain?
Speaker 5: Hold up, sons out a you no need to go outside? Yes, there is, because it's sunny.
Speaker 8: Can't you see that it's just rain?
Speaker 5: But what if it's sonny need to go outside? Unless can't you say that?
Speaker 11: Mama?
Speaker 5: Mama?
Speaker 2: Made a baby.
Speaker 13: Babies have friends.
Speaker 3: Baby's got to save me. Sister put out good, you saw it all good?
Speaker 2: Yeah this. I hate this family. I am giving everything.
Speaker 5: I trying hard. You were trying, even included.
Speaker 11: Your sister.
Speaker 5: Guys, it likes me, it's so clear.
Speaker 2: Unlikable, oh my liable because you do it to yourself.
Speaker 3: And you're jealous that everybody loves me and throws me a Ferris Wheel party while I have my fucking period. Bitch, you fucking hates your kids, and I hate your fucking Melinda whatever her name is, don't remember.
Speaker 2: She's bored.
Speaker 5: I think we should move back in together, far away. I love you.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 8: Barnes right now, Come on over and here.
Speaker 5: Guys, they've started selling my book at Zoomies.
Speaker 4: To get on over there, buy yourself a hoodie, the zips all the way around, and buy my book.
Speaker 3: Due to Me to Me, published by Me.
Speaker 1: I forgot the name of my book because it's fake, because I didn't write a book a piece.
Speaker 2: Of ship and ladies, if you're looking for dating advice, look no further than skateboard Dreams. I'm going to really help you out and reach out.
Speaker 5: Guys. I have a reservation for five at mails drive in on Hollywood and Highland Artists on Artists as the question, Now, that's why they call it show biz. Give it up for a wonderful guess.
Speaker 3: Tell well, now it's so awkward, just say they will come so great. It was a crazy thing to do because it's so serious. Also, I mean, it's funny.
Speaker 2: We're thanking God.
Speaker 6: We're linking all the info about her book in the description.
Speaker 3: So good.
Speaker 5: It's just ship.
Speaker 2: It's so funny for her to do a full memoir panel and they go, actually, I have one.
Speaker 3: It's actually, this is making me realize it would have been so much more brilliant to do a satire memoir that seems totally real.
Speaker 2: So that's what it is.
Speaker 11: Check it out.
Speaker 5: It's goods the same one.
Speaker 6: It's so good, you have to go check it out thanks to the beautiful Nay.
Speaker 2: Bye bye.
Speaker 4: Artists on Artists On Artists on Artists is an improvised Hollywood round table podcast created and hosted by Kylie Braakman, Jeremy Colahane, Angela Guritana, and Patrick McDonald. It is a production of Will Ferrell's Big Money Players and iHeartMedia Podcasts. Executive produced by Matt Appadaka and produced by Alexandra Dennis and Laser Vision Productions. Music by Gabriel Ponton and edited by Connor McKay thunbnail art by Josh Florey and logo designed by Lucy tom Koitz. Special thanks to Samuel Curtis and the Beautiful Dynasty Typewriter Theater. The opinions expressed on this podcast do not reflect the opinions of anyone who works on it, not even the performers, because this is an improvised podcast and we don't know what the heck we're talking about. Full video versions of AOA O A O A are available on YouTube, so please like and subscribe and leave us five star reviews wherever you get your podcasts. That's all for now, good Night, Hollywood,