Speaker 1: Welcome to River Cafe Table for a production of iHeartRadio and Adami's Studios.
Speaker 2: My good friend Ivanworth, the Swiss gallerist co founder of Hauserenworth, and I met through a mutual admiration and love for the artist Philip Guston. I grew up in Woodstock, New York, where Philip and his wife Musea Meyer were close friends of my parents. When some years ago the Gustin estate chose Hauserenworth to represent them, Ivan and his wife Manuela came to tea. We began talking that day about art and food and family and we really haven't stopped since. Having one restaurant, I personally cannot imagine having a gallery. But not only does Ivan have fifteen galleries all over the world, he has four restaurants, a farm, a farm shop, two hotels and soon a bar and a restaurant in the center of London. How does he do it all? Honestly, I don't know, but maybe after this conversation about family and food, I will. Let's begin with grouse.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Ruthie. Well, I'm going to read to you one of my favorite recipes, Roast grouse with County Classical. It serves four. So you need four grouse, eight plum tomatoes peeled, four thick slices of sour though two tablespoon sage leaves, eight sprigs of thyme, two hundergram unsalted butter half a liter County classical. You have to preheat the oven to two hundred and twenty degrees. Stuff each of these birds with sage, thyme, and butter season well. Put the grouse in a buttered pan, breastside down, roast for five minus its. Turn them over, Add the wine, tomatoes and cook for fifteen minutes, based adding the bread to soak up some of the juices. Roast for another ten minutes. Then remove the grouse, tomatoes and bread from the pan, add the butter and wine, and over high heat reduce. Serve each bird on the tomato porschetta with the sauce poured over.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Ivan, and I was so thrilled that you wanted to have grass as your recipe. Why is that?
Speaker 3: It's something that I actually discovered in Britain and it comes from larger from Scotland now or Yorkshire. It's seasonal, so it's not like fish or you know, it's very it's seasonal. It's the winter at the fall the winter a bit like marshroom. I fell in love with the taste.
Speaker 2: I love the food of autumn, don't you, Because it's kind of people always say summer food, it's so perfect and so but I think for cooks, the actual experience of autumn when it comes to white truffles, for chini, the grouse, you know.
Speaker 3: It all comes together.
Speaker 2: Do you remember where you had it the first time? Was it in a restaurant or someone's home?
Speaker 3: No? Actually I headed at somebody's house and it was interesting because half the guests didn't want to touch it, and they were not rigid there and they said no, thank you, and they got chicken.
Speaker 2: There's something fantastic about eating a whole bird, isn't it something that when you get the bird on your plate, with the bones and the and the experience of having, you know, serving somebody on their plate.
Speaker 3: And you work for your food, and you really have to be biting the.
Speaker 2: We started very young with your first gallery, didn't you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, eighty six. I started to sell art, and what really I realized very quickly was that to share the bread with an artist or with a client both. Yeah, it's the way to people's hearts, you know, really the most important critical moments in my life in that that were good. The positives one were usually about having a meal, sharing a meal, and would that.
Speaker 2: Would that be in a restaurant or.
Speaker 3: That would that is you? Well, it was early on it was, and now of course it's been. Sometimes it's in studios and we share, but it's bad food. Yeah, and break the bread with someone, eat, have lunch, dinner, pick whatever, and you have a glass of wine. You people speak from their.
Speaker 2: Heart, I agree, and it tells you so much. We're talking about how very often people will want to take a date or if they meet somebody, they'd like to go to a restaurant, because sitting at a table or at home the way somebody tells you a lot about the person.
Speaker 3: My passion for eating and food and drink was something that I discovered in the artists I liked. And it can be very different. You know. It rarely ever, is about micheline type of food. It's not. Some are more passionate about what they all share. Is this intimacy, which is a controlled intimacy because you sit on a table with someone they love that. But I coming from Switzerland working with some of the Swiss artists. The food was integral part of there, but even the work. You know, one of my heroes was is did the Wrath and he made from the sixties on art that of food.
Speaker 2: Also, do you think that there's something about working in your studio all day, that solitariness of working as you know, I know that in New York a lot of the abstract Expressionists and a lot of the young painters of the seventies where they went to Max's or to the bars, you know, and they congregated there and there was a lot of drink and a lot of food. Do you think that that's part of that? Also getting together and sharing and being around the table and talking as well.
Speaker 3: Being an artist is largely a lonely, a lonely pro solitary profession, and particularly I find that painters are more lonely or solitary than than sculptors or other because you work in you have a team, and so I think the reason some of the great painters today have people that are around them, yeah, is of course to help them, because it's complicated. You've got to you've got to be you know, it's not just making the work. Now, there's they said the world's gotten more complicated. The shows all over the world. There's logistical reasons, but there's also about solitude, being lonely being and and some artists have have and I've seen some beautiful kitchens in studios. Yeah, yeah, it really is phenomenal. When I go to Mark Bradford studio, he has say, well, he has an he has an interesting relationship to food. I wouldn't say he's he's not. He doesn't cook. He's really la he orders, or he goes to mexic or he has some of my favorite meals. There is when his when the Lopez family that worked with him assistances, and it's an entire clan, the family when the father comes and he cooks a Mexican lunch and it's the grill and it's the sauces, and it's like, oh god, so but he also has a kitchen. And then or was Fisher, who has as is a passionate about food, has published cookbooks of other people. It's quite the common nomination.
Speaker 2: And our mutual friend Philip Gustin is to come. They had a teeny tiny little kitchen, I remember that, but they beautifully. When he went there, there was always a very simple way of eating. But he loved food and he can They came to my parents' house a lot to eat. If they would call up in the afternoon and Philip would say, Sylvia, I'm coming for supper. And you know, but he was our link. And that's how we first met, was when you came coming to see the Gustines. As I was saying the relationship between art and food, and I have to say, your galleries and food, and so is there anyone else has a gallery in Los Angeles and opened up Manuela's, which is a fantastic restaurant downtown LA Great great compliment the art, great compliment to you talk about art and food. Who else would for their fiftieth birthday have a cookbook? A cookbook as a present, which I think all your friends in every city. Manuela really orchestrated this. I was lucky enough to be asked to participate. And it's one of my favorite cookbooks because it does actually combine, you know, food and love, doesn't it. Every page is a recipe, but every page is about a relationship that you have with food and with your friends. And so how do you feel when you look at this book and see.
Speaker 3: Oh, I was crying when I got it. So I got Manila secretly started two years before my fiftieth birthday, which was last year. The concept of this was she invited and you were one of them, very kindly beautiful to contribute to this cookbook a recipe that was meaningful to them. She then organized in us in the places we were, they cooked one of the recipes. So this community that we built up with love thirty years together came together and the book shows pictures from it. It chose the recipes. It's very touching. I have goosebumps every time, and then everybody. For some people it was the last meal they had together. That was so when people got the book during COVID, I sent it out to you and everybody that came they said they were, they were, they felt the same, and so you see how important for everyone it really is.
Speaker 2: Tell me about early childhood in Switzerland.
Speaker 3: Well, I I grew up in the mountains near the mountains, the sort of pre Alps and the Tockenburg particular area. My father is from uppen Zel, which is a mountainous area in Switzerland. That's where cheese comes from. And you know the Bishop Burger ads always the up and cel and the folk art. And my mother is Italian. Half Italian family. Italian family is from the Alps, from the Dolomites, from so the mountains and wilderness, if you like, played a big part in my life.
Speaker 2: There was stoking, a big thing in your house.
Speaker 3: What did they cook in Switzerland? You you go home over for lunch. It has its it has both sides. I mean, it keeps the mothers at home. But it was of course also everybody got together three times a day, so we came home for lunch with breakfast. We came home for lunch and come home from dinner. So it's not the day school. And that meant that there was always cooking. My mother would be she would work and cook and it all happened at the same time. So she was working with She was a teacher.
Speaker 2: So she would come home from teaching.
Speaker 3: Or she would work half time, or she's been going through She was a passionate teacher all the life. She in the end taught refugees kids German, but no cooking and food. And my grandfather, I mean, I mean, my grandfather is one of the earliest memories really that generation of Italian immigrants in Switzerland didn't want to be Italian. The only thing he would still do is the cooking. Is was a lot of Italian and the swearing. But he couldn't speak Italian. He couldn't speak Italian to anyone. So I only remember him swearing Italian. But they came before, you know, they came just before the First War, so turn of century came.
Speaker 2: So they cooked the food of the Dolomites.
Speaker 3: And well I remember him doing risotto in the in the kitchen. Yeah, And so I have more memories, interestingly of cooking and food in a way about my grandparents than about home. His home was just part of like but my grandfather from there was the you know, there was also a great tradition. Friday was apple tart with the soup or fish, and then you had was a ceremonial cooking.
Speaker 2: Your grandfather was in the kitchen cooking. That's unusual, it isn't it for an Italian man.
Speaker 3: Well, only on the weekend.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: He was from a family of stovemasons, and so he had a constructive smoke construction company. But the weekend it was a ritual and we lived from the moment we lived in his town. Again we were living elsewhere when we came back, we went there regularly, you know, on the weekends. And that was that was just an and one of the smell, the take the smell and him doing the risotto.
Speaker 2: Was that's a memories that we're saying. And what about the Swiss side? What would you if you would have resortas and Italian food? What did you have from the Swiss?
Speaker 3: My father was a mountaineer. He was an architect and still is my mother and father still alive. But he was a very you know, a mountaineer. He is. He was a member, early member of the Alpine Club. He was then a president for many years of the Eastern section of the Alpine Club. Retired this year last year. So we it's the food of the mountain huts and what is that? So it's the food of the mountains. We were the The Alpine Club has hundreds of huts, I don't know how many, but all over the Alps, and as a member you can stay and eat and it's cooked by dedicated people that live there for a season and it's very basic food. So one of my favorite dishes of all time is this barley barley soup that is the guests and soup. That's how I grew up.
Speaker 2: It's just barley.
Speaker 3: Well it has dried meat in it. Yeah, so it's barley, It's got some herbs. It is a broth and the dried meat comes in in the end. It's very rich and a bit of milk or cream cream. So it's a very rich soup. One of the most delicious soup. I mean, I grew up on these type of soups. And when you arrive in your hot you well, you have a sandwich on the mountainop, but then you go back to the hut and that's the soup. It's because they can prepare it and heat it up a few times. So it was amazing.
Speaker 2: That's a kind of an amazing image to think that would you have the soup out of the mountains as well? Would you have it, would you have it when you weren't hiking for the last twelve hours, and would you sit down to a soup like that?
Speaker 3: Oh no, we'd still do. I mean, if I go back to Switzerland now and we go to the mountains and you arrive and you want to have a lungourin or something small and something just something basic. I would have a guest and some bit. So it's like a great plate of it's a bit like a pasta, like a spaghetti. You know, it's it's it's it's not. Well, it's not that easy to make it good. Very basic, but you've got to be precise.
Speaker 2: That's what we know. Isn't it the few ingredients you have, you've never attempted it?
Speaker 3: No? Oh no, no, I wouldn't. I couldn't do. No, it's some dishes that are so connected with the place you would not go near it.
Speaker 2: So often you come here with your children for dinner. You come to my house with your children. Tell me about cooking as a family.
Speaker 3: So the kitchen is the heart of our house. So we Manuela being a cooking instructor. But before she joined the gallery, she is just she's the master of ceremonies.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah she could. I mean she cooks. This is an extraordinary chef, and so she would orchestrate all five of us. Everybody can can contribute to what is cooked today. That's the first question in the morning is what are we cooking for supper? So no, it's extraordinly important. It's where everything's being discussed very old fashioned. I mean that's Manreela. She lost her father young her Urslo worked so and he had two siblings and Orcelan didn't come for lunch. I like my mother because she worked and Manreela cooked. There's great pictures of Mariella standing and they'll stand cooking for the siblings. And so it's a critical integral part of the well being of our family and what we do now with very strange. So if if twice a week or as we feel, two kids are not there studying America, the oldest two in America, so we would when we are doing dinner, we FaceTime them and they sit and we put them on and they are there. Scotland, the kitchen is is this marvelous, marvelous big room and it's big, got a big table where we eat and another big table where we cook, and an open fire and so we love, we love doing that. And one of the highlights of my early life childhood was actually going to the woods and I was a boy scout. Manrela was a boy scout too, by the way, so we word camp and we would cook on the fire. And so that's still to me an absolute highlight. And the sausage, the wheal sausage, which is a pork sausage. We would when I'm in Switzerland take them over and we I love the English sausages and we have occasionally them, but you can't stick them on a you can't put them on a stick. They follow, so you need a grill. The Swiss sausage you can really put on a on a stick. So we would go down in the woods in Somerset and do once a week if weather allows, and during COVID it was three times a week. We do barbecue in the woods. And then the kids grew up and to this day they do it. They do this the snake bread. And Manuela, in fact is her grandfather and grandmother were bakers. They're a bakery. So I mean, it's it's been a family, so it's baking. It's I don't like baking so much and I really don't like making Christmas cookies. But the kids are crazy.
Speaker 2: So they are I think again, you know, they can connection doing something together, the family being together, eating together, the process and the idea that you sit down to dinner in your FaceTime, you know, because of the gab.
Speaker 3: It's so beautiful we have and we show the food and we share the pictures and we send pictures of each other boat they make spetsley. Eliass does loves doing spetsley.
Speaker 2: How did you find being in lockdown? You had your children with you.
Speaker 3: We were lucky. We were in Somerset on the farm and our Lockdown project was Manuela's dream of a farm shop that we opened. Now tell me about the farm show. So it's almost a social practice. So it's an entrepreneurial approach. We invite small businesses from the area to come up with ideas for products or they have products and we sell them there in addition to our own. It's a community farm show. Yeah, and we sell a lot of produce from farmers as well and produces small local producers. Then we have some Swiss essentials like we do have some We have two Swiss jeeses, so one from where we are from and another one from Niyakstad.
Speaker 2: So frutiful. The idea that you go to a city, you go to, you go to the country, you go to you know, to the wilds of Scotland, and you create you create a link through food and so food is connection. Food is memory of your time in Switzerland and your grandparents. And of course it's also a comfort isn't it. And so my last question to you is what is your comfort food.
Speaker 3: My comfort food is a dish. I'm afraid it's a swete. I think it's a very sweet ish. It's called Bierka musli. So it's amuse. Yes, I need comfort food, sometimes for breakfast, sometimes at lunch, or sometimes for dinner. And it's one of the few dishes that you can really eat any hour of the day, you can, you know. And and the peninsula in La used to have a Swiss chef and there was always the best boot muslin in America. And I got there and I had it literally any time of the day. But it's hard to make, to make it right. It's a bit like the Barsley soup, and it's it's it lasts all day. It's for me and Alma. Actually my daughter, our daughter put it in here as in our cookbook, the fifty Year Cookbook. So it's the musli, the Swiss burgermusi. And that would be my comfort phot I'd love to share it with you one day. I'd be happy to try try and make one for you. I can do it. Actually, I can do it.
Speaker 2: I'll be there. Thank you.
Speaker 3: I love you, thank you, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: To visit the online shop of The River Cafe, go to shop the River Cafe dot co dot uk.
Speaker 1: Rivercafe Table four is a production of iHeartRadio and Adamized Studios. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.