Speaker 1: Welcome back everybody to GM territory. I'm Trey Boden alongside Jim Bowden, the former Big League general manager, and we have a lot to get into. Let's start out in Detroit where Tarik Skuble. What is arbitration case? Thirty two million dollars? Jim, what is your take on this?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I expected him to win this case. I thought it was a slam dunk case for Turrek Scubale and his agent, Scott Boris, And mainly because of the one Soto contract from two years ago. If you remember, the New York Yankees signed him to a one year, thirty one million dollar contract. He was a five plus player, just like Scooball, and he had just come off a year where he finished six in the MVP voting with the San Diego Padres. And when you look at Scooball the last two years, he won the Cy Young Award in the American League, the best pitcher in the league. So I think when you have those kind of accomplishments and you're becoming a five plus player, you deserve to be the highest paid player in that draft, in that class. And I think him getting thirty two million is exactly what he should have been paid, So I'm not surprised he won. What surprised me was the Tigers submitting a figure of nineteen million. It just never made sense to me in this market. And look, I understand that they go all the way back eleven years ago when David Price was paid just over nineteen million as a five plus, but that was eleven years ago. Contracts have changed dramatically since then. So look, it wasn't a surprise. I think it was, you know, extremely a good situation for schoobl But at the end of the day, yeah, I expected this to be the conclusion.
Speaker 1: All right, So let's stay in Detroit, Bramber Valdez three years, one hundred and fifteen million dollars deal your take.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Look, he becomes the first left handed starting pitcher in baseball history to make thirty eight zero point three million dollars a year, highest paid ever, and he gets an opt out clause after year two. I love this signing by the Detroit Tigers and owner Chris Ilich because he'll now be spending seventy point three to three million on his two starts. Two top starters in schoobl In Valdez, I mean that's just incredible as commitment to try to win. And you know, when the question was asked, does this mean you're gonna trade Schooble, Is that why you signed Valdez? He answers, No, We're gonna go and try to win. They got a taste of the postseason last October. They know they've got a chance. This team is only getting better with a really good farm system that's just getting ready to hit the big league. So their feeling is if they can get to October and they can have Schooble pitching Game one in Valdez pitching Game two, their chances of winning short series have improved dramatically. I mean, remember this about Baldez. It's one of the best ground ball pitchers in the game, right He has a sixty percent ground ball rate. He also is the ability to miss bats. Camerica Park is a great ballpark for him to pitch half his games. Tigers have a good defensive team behind him. So look, this all adds up as a win for Detroit. And by the way, if Schooble departs in free agency at the end of the year, at least they have someone to replace him at the top of the rotation Invalvedez. So, look, I love this signing for Detroit. I do. It's a lot of money for two pitchers, but if you can afford it, that's where you like to invest your money as a GM.
Speaker 1: All Right. We also had a trade this week take place, a three team trade, which I know you've probably been a part of a couple of these. Break this trade down for us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is one of those trades where you're reminded as a GM that you're paid to win championships. You're not paid to win trades. And that's the case with the Seattle Mariners. Look, I think they overpaid in prospects to get Brendan Donovan, but Brendan Donovan really improves their chances of winning the division and maybe even getting to the World Series. One of the biggest needs is Mariner's lineup. Haad was a leadoff hitter, someone that gets on base, someone to create traffic. That's what Brendan Donovan does. He's a thirty five to thirty six percent on base player. Now, when you have Cal Raley with his sixty homers hitting behind you and Julio Rodriguez and Josh Naylor, you want those home runs to be two run shots or three run shots. Brendan Donovan improves your chances to do that. He's penciling to play third base to start the year. Look, he could end up at second base, depends on the development of Cole Young and Colt Emerson. That's going to dictate it. But he's got positional flexibility, can play third, second, left, So that is a plus for Seattle. So I love the trade for Seattle. I gave them a grade B on this trade, even though they overpaid. I think Saint Louis in the long run will win this trade. It's hard for me to understand that they just got two former first round picks and one second round pick and two additional second round picks. In other words, five first and second round caliber players for Donovan. That is an amazing haul for them, So congratulations for them. Durangelo Sanja is one of my favorite pitchers because he's one of the few switch pitchers in baseball history. He throws both right and left handed. How incredible is that. Can't wait to see that when it gets to the big leagues. But they also got a very athletic outfielder in Typete, who I like a lot led better they get from Tampa Bay. This is a power hitting, left handed bat. So you know, you've got a really good, good pitching prospect, you've got two outfield prospects, and then you're going to get two comp B picks coming up in this June's draft. So I gave a straight at to Saint Louis and the deal. They're doing exactly what they need to do in a rebuild. And then Tampa Bay I gave a seat. Look. I like the fact they got Ben Williamson for his defense. Doesn't have a lot of power, don't you know. I think he's gonna hit, but I don't know how much power. But his best position's third base, and they got Junior Cammenaio, so he's not playing their So you know, I reached out there at the end or the president of the Tampa Bay Rays. He told me they'll probably play second, short and third for them elite defense. I agree with all of that, but I think they paid a pretty good price to get them. Time will tell, but either way, this was a very fascinating three way deal.
Speaker 1: Sure well, it's always exciting in the off season when we get a big signing or a trade and you just know right around the corner this he's about to start. All right, So before we break down the NL West for everybody, please do us a favor and subscribe and hit the like button two. We really appreciate it. All right, Let's head out to La the reigning World Series champions. Jim, what's your breakdown of their offseason?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Tree, they're the only team in baseball. I'm giving you an eight plus two as a grade, Like, how can you not like? Watching them win the last two World championships? Right? And sitting there at Dodgers Stadium in October, all I could I do is look at this team and go what weakness do they have? And I guess maybe the only thing I could come up with is they didn't have an impact closer in the ninth inning. They were below average defensively and right field, and probably needed one more bat to link in the lineup to equal how deep the Blue Jay lineup was. And they went out in the offseason then literally got the best bat available in Kyle Tucker, paid him sixty million a year for four years, breaking all kinds of records like wow, are you kidding me? And they landed Edwin Diaz, the impact closer formerly of the Mets, on a three year, sixty nine million dollar deal. So now they have their impact closer and Edwin Diaz and the complete right fielder now in Kyle Tucker, who, oh, by the way, is a thirty home or thirty steel type of talent plus defender, plus base runner, plus arm. And so you've added that to the Dodgers team that's already won two straight World Championships. I mean, it's just an incredible offseason for team president Andrew Free. Look, they're gonna be the favorites to win the NL West, They're gonna be the favorites to win the Anto Pennant, They're gonna be the favorites to win the World Series. And if the best team wins this year, it will be the Los Angeles Dodgers. What a great offseason. And in terms of a breakout player, the guy that excites me as centerfielder Andy PaaS. We all saw that great catch in the World Series in left center field over Keik Hernandez that save the World Series for LA. He also went twenty seven homers in the regular season. Now he got benched in October, got into a slump some holes at the plate. But I think he has a breakout year. I think we're gonna see thirty homers and I think much improved slash line as well. I'm excited about his kind of year. Okay, let me turn it back to you. Give me a prospect in the Dodger system that may not be ready right now, but is getting closer in someone that I have to keep my eye on during spring training.
Speaker 1: Well, you gotta keep your eye on this guy, Josu de Paula. You know, he reminds me of Jordan Alvarez, kind of just like a shorter Jordan Alvarez. He won the Futures Game MVP last season. He has a lot of pot, a beautiful left handed swing, and I'm excited to see what kind of numbers he's gonna put up this season in the minor leagues.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that, And imagine, you know, probably in twenty twenty seven, right Tucker and Wright, paus and center and to Paula and left. Wow, Dodgers. Look, they don't just have a great major league team, They have one of the deepest, best farm systems in baseball too. They are the best run organization in baseball. They spend the most money, they bring in the most revenue, and they have become the model organization for sports in general. And I've always said this, they should change their name from the Los Angeles Dodgers to the World Dodgers. I'm just saying, all right, let's get to the San Diego Padres. Their offseason wasn't quite exciting as Los Angeles is Trey. I still gave him a B minus because I love the fact they were able to bring back starting pitcher Michael King, who inks a deal of three years, seventy five million. He's one of the best pitchers in the National League. Went healthy, so hopefully he can stay healthy now and impact the Padres rotation like he has in the past. Look, it was a tough offseason for San Diego. They lost Dylan Cease to the Toronto Blue Jays on a seven year, two hundred and ten million dollar deal. They lost their closer, Robert Suarez. He goes to Atlanta, but of course of the trade deadline, they had picked up Mason Miller, so he'll be the back end closer for San Diego, so they should be fine there anyway. But the only other moves they made player wise They bringing me Gael Onduar on a one year, four million dollar deal onto our crushes left handed pitching, can play a few positions, third, first, left, d H. Gives them a bat against lefties. I like that. They also signed Sun Sung to a four year, fifteen million dollar deal. Gives them another middle infielder. Gives them some infield depth. I like that. But the biggest move they made was the hiring of Craig Staman as manager. He has never managed in his life. This will be the first time never managed professionally, and yet he is going to be the guy running the Padres now. He is well respected in the game. He has been a special assistant day J Preller the last several years in the front office. But with no experience, it's going to be a learning curve, so we'll see how that goes. The Padres did bring in Bud Black as an assistant and that should help. I think developed stanmand because Bud Black team player will certainly support Craig and help him succeed my breakout player for the Padres. They don't have a lot of candidates, so I went with Randy Vazquez. I like Vazquez. I got a good fastball. Needs to work on the secondary pitches, the sweeper, breaking balls, change ups, so that's going to be the key for his success. But I think for the first time this year, he's a guy that can have an era in the threes. He can win double digits and maybe produced between one hundred and sixty to one hundred and eighty innings. So he'll be my breakout prediction. And now for the expect to watch in the Padres system. Who you got Trey?
Speaker 1: I got Ethan Sallas. You know, he's a great catcher behind the plate, very polished his left handed bat. You know, hopefully the hit tool comes around because this guy has potential to be a star. Now, he's not going to be in the majors anytime soon, but this is a guy that I'm keeping my eye on in that organization.
Speaker 2: Okay, I like that call. Right, let's get to the San Francisco Giants. I gave him a bee and I want to start with the players. Now, keep in mind, while the Dodgers were shopping at Bloomingdale's and Neiman Marcus and Sackspath Avenue and Norde Stones for the Kyle Tuckers and the Edwin Diaz is. The Giants were at different stores, right, they were a Target and Costco and Walmart, but they did a good job on value purchases on what they were willing to spend. Right, they did Okay. Here they add Harrison Bader to play center field, a plus plus defender and center so that'll help their pitching staff. Look, I think he's more a fourth outfielder type, but for the Giants that's a big defensive upgrade and that allows them to move Lee over to right field, who was a blow average defender, so I think that helps them defensively. They also went out and signed second baseman Lewis Arise. We all know he's won three batting titles, including one of the American League, one of the National League, and one with three different teams, so that's gonna certainly help them. The downside about a Rise though, is doesn't have any power, doesn't run, and is a blow average defender with blow average range. Although they did hire Ron Washington. Ron Washington makes every infielder better, so maybe he can help a Rise get to the next level. That's something to watch, but it also gives the Giants flexibility if their rookie Bryce Eldridge doesn't hit enough to start the year, they could always put a Rise at DH and like Casey Smith, a better defender play second base. So it does give them options again if Eldridge doesn't it so I kind of like that. I also like what they did in the rotation. They added two starters. Tyler Mallley comes in when he's healthy. He is solid, a solid number three or four starter went healthy. Biggest question has been his health, and they added Adrian Hauser, who's more of a fifth starting pitcher. But both of those guys give them a lot of depth. Now the question is what's gonna happen in that manager seat. So they've they did seth in this offseason. It's never been done in the history of baseball. They hired a coach out of college directly to the big leagues in Tony Voytello. Bytello has never managed professionally in his career, has never managed players older than the college ages, which is incredible to think that here he is gonna sit in the big leagues and manage the San Francisco Giant. So I love the out of box hiring by Buster Posey. I have faith in Buster. I've heard great things about by Tello obviously the University of Tennessee. He won a national championship at twenty twenty four. Players speak highly about him. He's a great communicator, he loves the game. But he's never managed one hundred and sixty two game season. He's never even been to a major league camp. He has no idea what big league spring training is even about. He's gonna learn on the job. So look, I don't know how this is gonna work, but I know one thing. It's a huge storyline to start spring training, for sure. I think the one good news for him is Buster Posey hired two future Hall of Fame managers to his front office, and Bruce Bouche and Dusty Baker. So Tony Vortello has certainly a lot of experience and a lot of people that can help teach him and help him succeed. So I gave the Giants a b overall for their offseason moves. But this is gonna be fascinating watching Tony Vaytello manage the Giants. Okay, my breakout player with the Giants, and some of it's probably wishful thinking. I'm trying to manifest it. But I'm gonna go with Bryce eldridg who's going to DH to start the year with Rafael Devers at first base because he's not a great defender at first, he has great power. He six foot seven, and I could see him in his career hitting these Willie McCovey bombs into McCovey cove like. This is gonna be fun to watch. But the question is how much is he gonna hit in his rookie year? Is his bat ready for the major leagues? And we're gonna find out. We don't know the answer, but if he can hold his own with the bat, the power is certainly gonna play. All right, let's go to rookies. Now, give me a rookie in the Giants organization tray that you're pumped up about.
Speaker 1: My prospect to watch has to be Joe Swargenzalez. I mean, this guy has a really good glove at shortstop, a decent bat, really good speed. But referring back to that Tony by Tello higher, I think he is the perfect hire for this organization and especially for young guys like him. I mean, Tony has done an unbelievable job of developing talent at the collegiate level and these kids in their farm system. You know, some of them are those the same age as the guys at Tennessee now, So I think what Tony's able to do with younger prospects and players is really gonna make a huge impact on this organization, not just this year but in the years to come.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense. I think the big question is how is he going to handle the veteran players that are making millions and millions of dollars like Rafield, Devers and Willie Damas as well. I mean, time will tell, but he certainly has the people skills trade to your point, and certainly, as you pointed out, he's done a tremendous job developing young players. So I agree with you. The guys like Gonzales are gonna benefit by him being one of the leaders in the Giants organization. All right, let's get to the Arizona Diamondbacks. I gave them a D plus for disappointing, dismal. It just wasn't a good offseason. They didn't do a lot. They did bring back Merrill Kelly. That was their best move. They traded him at the trade deadline to Texas. But he went to school in Arizona. He lives in Arizona, wanted to back. They did bring him back. They made a trade with the Cardinals, who are paying most of the contract of third baseman Nolan Aeronado. Aeronato can still play defens at third. I believe he's a future Hall of Fame third baseman. Agent Decline, look like it's caught up to him. But you know what, I'm rooting for a comeback year for Aeronado. I think the air in Arizona is certainly is going to help his bat, I would think, and look, he's one of the great guys in the game. So I am rooting for him again. Agent Decline looks like he gets him, but we'll see. Maybe Arizona can find a way to get him back to what he once was. But besides that, they just didn't do enough really to move the needle. And I think they've kind of solidified themselves right now as the fourth fourth best team in the division. You know, Trey, I think I got the Dodgers, then the Padres and Giants very close for second and third, then the Diamondbacks in fourth place. My breakout player for the Diamondbacks is a player that's transitioning into a new position. Jordan Lawler was a former first round pick drafted as a shortstop, but because they have Heraldo Perdomo, who finished in the top five a MVP in the National League last year a shortstop, they're transitioning him to center field. He's going to be given a chance to win the center field job in spring training. I can't wait to get to the spring to see how he looks in center field. That would be a huge, huge plus if he becomes the long term solution in center field for Arizona. All Right, you give me a prospect that you like in the diamondback system.
Speaker 1: It's got to be Ethan wald Schmidt. This guy, you know, he's battled some injuries in his career, and he's still twenty three, twenty four years old, and he at the University of Kentucky towards ACL and you know, he battled a lot of adversity and came back from that. But you know, I think a lot of big league clubs look for players that can battle through adversity and overcome things like that. So I'm a big fan of his. I think he's one of their top prospects for a reason. And I'm excited to watch what he's able to do this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, big six, four, two ten, and he's got presence when he walks into a room. You look at, go who's that.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Definitely has the tools and it's going to be exciting to watch him develop. Certainly a future star in Arizona when he's ready. Tray, glad you brought him up. All right, let's go the Colorado Rockies. They were really hard to grade, right, because they haven't done a lot to improve the team. They bring in Willie Castro to play third base. He's a guy that can has positional flexibility, maybe someone they could trade at the trade deadline. They bring in Michae Lorenzen to be a back of the rotation starter, and they make a trade with Arizona to get Jake McCarthy to give them some speed in the outfield, maybe as a fourth outfielder type. But that's really all they did, so it was really hard to grade them. But they did something they'd never done before. They made a higher outside of the organization to run their baseball operations. That's right. They bring in Paul de Potesta, who has spent the last several years with the Cleveland Browns football team, but before that was a GM in the Los Angeles Dodgers. His last big league job was working for the New York Mets in their front office. So he comes in with a lot of experience, a huge analytical background here, and the first thing he does is hire Josh Burns's GM, the former GM both the Diamondbacks and Padres. Burns has been with the Dodgers the last several years working with Andrew Friedman running player development and scouting, so he is able to bring over to Colorado a lot of the intel in terms of research, development, technology, analytics, all of the stuff they've been doing in LA. He can bring that knowledge to Colorado. Now, Colorado doesn't have the resources to take it as far as the Dodgers can do, but certainly being able to bring in all that kind of information will certainly help the Rockies rebuild this baseball operations from top to bottom. So because I like the hires of Deep Potesta and Burns, I gave them a C plus. I would have given them a D for the player moves, but because they hired those two guys, I'll give them a C plus. Now my breakout player for them is going to be Chase Dolander. I think he got his feet wet in the big leagues last year, really struggle the cords field like most pitchers do. I'm not worried about it. I think he's going to keep getting better. If he can make thirty starts and pitch one hundred and seventy to one hundred eighty innings for the Rockies this year, I would do that a success and I would deem that as a breakout year for him. Hopefully it'll happen. Okay, give me a prospect that you're watching in the Rockies system.
Speaker 1: How can you not be watching Ethan Holiday. He comes from that championship bloodline with Matt Holliday as his father, longtime Rocky, and then his brother Jackson that plays second over in Baltimore. He has a beautiful left handed swing. Now he's young, it's going to take a little bit to develop, but there is so much potential here with Ethan Holiday. And you know something that I would love to see see further down the line is hopefully him and his brother Jackson can link up. Now I know that's years away, but I'm really excited to see this Holiday family continue to have a lot of success at this level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as you know, I had both Aaron and Brett Boone at one point I had brothers in the same infield, and certainly that was fun. I don't see them getting together anytime soon, though I know the Orioles are hoping. Jackson Holiday is one of the those players that can be in Baltimore for years to years to come. And I know Colorado feels the same way about Ethan. Look, Ethan's got great power, He's a really good athlete. The hit tool will determine how quickly he develops the big leagues. You know, it's gonna take a while. It's gonna take three years, probably maybe four years before he's major league ready, but he has a high ceiling. And look, you know, I think when you look at the long term future Colorado, you combine him with Charles Condon, and all of a sudden, you've got two big power bats that can beat in second and third in that lineup, maybe as early as twenty thirty. And maybe it gives you a little glimpse of positivity going forward, because right now, all we can say about the Rockies is they'll probably have the worst record in the National League. And we'll finish last in the NLS. So just recapping how we have the Division Dodgers in first, Padres second, Giants close with the Padres, but I have him in third, Arizona four, and the Colorado Rockies five.
Speaker 1: That's going to do it for this week's edition of GM Territory. Next week we're gonna break down the AL Central. Please don't forget to like and subscribe. It really goes a long way challenge to lax we Go