Speaker 1: Okay, let's talk about Megan Markle's new lifestyle show. So she They've launched a trailer on Netflix for Megan Markle's new lifestyle slash cooking show.
Speaker 2: So you're seeing like.
Speaker 1: Getting honey from like the bee keeping where you're seeing the trays of bees. You're seeing Mindy Kayling I presumably a friend of hers. You're seeing other wealthy looking people that look fresh and pretty coming over. And you're seeing very high quality, very high resolution.
Speaker 2: Lifestyle content.
Speaker 1: So it really looks like Real Simple magazine come to life or Martha Stewart magazine come to life. And people are loving, people are hating, people are commenting.
Speaker 2: I only saw it the first day it was out.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen anything since, but I have an opinion shocking. So Megan Markle was a moderately successful actress. She had a lifestyle brand I think called the tag a website. She presumably had to get rid of that when she married into the royal family and she was a princess. She married a prince, she landed a prince. She's American, she's divorced. She landed a prince. Like give Mega Marco her flowers and everybody did at the time, and she was beloved. Then the you know, then the exit, the mexit, and that was extremely polarizing press and that probably wasn't very fun for them. But they moved to Monacito, and Monacito is like the land of the humble brag. It's basically an area near Santa Barbara that has a like a little quintessential quaint town. And that's what I mean by humble brag. Their CVS is incidentally, their CVS is where I found the Midnight Cream, the Loreal Midnight cream that led me to walk in Paris Fashion Week and a whole relationship with Loreal because it was in the back of the shelf one left and it was discontinued. It wasn't even a successful product, and I just happened to pick it up because I had never seen it before and the rest is history, because that was a viral cream and I've sold millions of dollars of cream, to say the least. Okay, so that's where I saw it. But I say that because the CVS is like a shitty CVS. It's not like an elite, amazing CVS. And if you think about the net worth of the people in that area. Think Oprah, think Ellen DeGeneres, think Rob Low, think there's somebody else. There's a bunch of people. So then you think about the little town. I've seen Ashton Kutcher there with Miela like it's a legit I've seen Jane Lynch there.
Speaker 2: It's a legit area.
Speaker 1: And the town is super quaint with little, earthy, cute stores.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So it's it's maintaining and preserving whatever it was or they intended to be. But it's it's it's giving humble brag because you'd think that it would be like they'd have you know, Ralph, Lauren and Arimez.
Speaker 2: So somebody's preserving that. Okay.
Speaker 1: So it's a very wealthy community and it's antiques and it's gardening, and it's pets and it's you know, just horses and just rich. Okay, it's just a fucking rich area. And this show is authentically Megan Markle. She married a prince, was part of the royal family, moved with him to Montecito, and I think what was like a thirteen or seventeen million dollar house, has chickens, kids, has her yoga lifestyle, has rich neighbors, likes to cook, I picture her, you know, going to the store and buying French croissan and when she's at home making Chantilly cream for her scones. So like, this show is aspirational, it's affluent, it's glossy, it's pretty, and it feels authentic, Like you can't hate somebody for being authentically who they are. She's presenting as wealthy with very fresh, polished friends. And Martha Stewart came from Nutley, New Jersey, but she married a guy in finance and she started having these dinner parties and this is what happens. You're in Westport, you're in Greenwich, and you're sort of flexing, you're fronting, and you're posing, and you're keeping up with the Joneses, and you become the thing and you present that thing. And Megan Markle it doesn't really matter right now where she's from, because I don't know anybody else who's been a member of the royal family who landed a friggin prince. So she's as entitled as anybody else to go in a gorgeous kitchen and make unrelatable, beautiful dishes that she says don't have to be perfect, but yet everything looks perfect. Okay, I'm picking up what you're putting down. I'm not saying I'm gonna watch it. I don't necessarily care, but it's on brand more than her interviewing Andy Cohen on a podcast like that doesn't make any sense. It just doesn't make any sense, and it didn't. It did well in the beginning, because everything does well in the beginning, pushes thoughty algorithm, but it didn't succeed because it's not what she should be doing. So she's been making jams and she presumably wants to be Martha Stewart or Goop. Goop is less relatable because it had more gimmicks like this candle smells like my vagina. I do not think we're gonna be smelling Megan's vagina by way of a candle anytime soon. And asie or chia enemas and cupping like that was the shock value shit that Gwyneth brilliantly did to get people's attention. And I believe she's probably had an espresso enema in her life, and I believe she's done the cupping. I think we've seen that, But you know, I don't believe that candle smells like her Vagina, but nevertheless, it wasn't totally on brand. It's a spend of reality, but it's it's adjacent. She grew up, went to Spence wealthy actress and producer parents like grew up on the Upper East Side.
Speaker 2: Like it's okay to be who you are.
Speaker 1: It's funny that I've shopped at TJ Max forever before it became cool home goods. I mean, you know, I've had my house in the Hampton's maybe twelve years. I've been shopping at TJ Max since it was before it was very cool. You know, there were a couple of people and myself and de Rindam Medley were the only, you know, two wealthy people shopping there. I wasn't wealthy then, but I wasn't broke either. And I've had people say to me in the last five years. I've said one person like comment like make some video and say like I was cost playing poor, Like, first of all, TJ Max has two thousand dollars bags.
Speaker 2: Second of all, I'm not cost playing anything.
Speaker 1: The point is, if Meggan Markle was doing a show at the Dollar Store, you guys are like, oh please, Like there's no way for her to win she could do Aristocracy, or she could do the Dollar Store. It would be equally wrong to people. So I don't know what people think she's supposed to be doing. Maybe she's supposed to be going back on suits. But people got mad at her because she wanted to be famous, and Harry was supposedly asking someone the head of Bob Iger at the head of Disney, for an acting job for her, when in fact she is an actress. So people are mad that she wants to be famous, that she wants to be private, that she aired her dirty laundry. It's the royal family, that she's not a great daughter in law. Whatever, Okay, great, take it all, take it all. Her doing a glossy lifestyle show is completely on brand and completely her in twenty twenty five, So I ain't got no problem with it. It seems authentic. What do you think? I was thinking back to the Megan Markle thing, and I it just for some reason took my mind to people's obsession if other people came from money, like.
Speaker 2: You get a demerit.
Speaker 1: Now I understand you getting a demerit if you act so elitist and if you're an asshole or if you're tone deaf, or if you don't understand the plight of the people, or if you don't get back, but just categorically in talking about someone like a Megan Markle or like a Gwyneth Paltrow, and Megan did not come from money. I'm thinking about how there's something in Australia called tall poppy syndrome. I think it might be Canada to but it's definitely Australia. Tall poppy syndrome means like you're not allowed to have busted out, meaning you're not allowed to like poke your head and be the tallest of the flowers.
Speaker 2: They'll bring you back down.
Speaker 1: People don't like when it's like, oh, you made your way out, you don't remember where.
Speaker 2: You came from.
Speaker 1: So like that someone like Megan Markle would get that, someone like Gwyneth Paltrow would get just haze for having come from money, Like you get a demerit and it's not entirely fair, Like if you're acting in a certain way. I guess if you're Gwyneth Paltrow and you're promoting chia seed animas, maybe that's the way and that's what happens. But I don't think people should be penalized because they came from money or because they went to a good school that their parents paid for, because they don't have financial debt, like people are born or high born or.
Speaker 2: Not, and that's just what goes on.
Speaker 1: I guess it's how you act, just in the same way that like people, people get canceled for presenting as something other than they are. People get canceled for presenting his kind of being cunty. People get canceled for presenting as just one way and you find out there another way. It's it's it's it's been so rampant, it's been rampant with you know, it's just been it's been the age of cancelation. And I would say it's over, It's really not over. It's the age of celebrity is really over. Like celebrities aren't celebrities anymore, and they don't know it, and they're just like when reality stars came out and actresses couldn't stand them and would say bad things about them because they're real celebrities and and.
Speaker 2: Reality stars are not.
Speaker 1: It's similar with like celebrity and influencers, celebrity and just different means of being successful. Now, you know, if someone like mister beast is making eighty million dollars on YouTube and you've never even heard of him.
Speaker 2: It's like, let's just put it this way.
Speaker 1: I know actresses and actors, and I know very big time comedians, and I know what they make, and I know what they have to do to make that money, and the plan they have to get on in the hotel, they have to stay on, in the family they have to leave.
Speaker 2: And it's still a lot of money.
Speaker 1: And it's asked a crazy amount of money to obviously the average or even below you know, the below average or average American. That being said, it's bulky. You could do in your house with your phone. What it takes a several hundred person camera crew, with food and craft services and trailers and insurance and budgets and hotels and vans and walkie talkies and like all the shit. Like I get offered, I have priced myself out of the market. I get offered crazy TV shows and opportunities, and I there's an opportunity cost. I mean, I do this podcast at this point. I make a lot of money on this podcast. Okay, by anyone's standards. I do this podcast at this point because I love talking to you guys. And I love just being able to sit down at a mic and like say my piece and say something. But I can tell you this pound for pound the time I have to take to do this, which isn't a lot, it's not a big lift. Still sitting down and doing this a couple times a week, I make a lot more money doing other things. Like it's it's it's just crazy how efficient we can be with our time. And it's kind of a cousin of the at home work, but it's now it's at home entertainment work and then you are on zoom. You don't even have to be with the person like for someone like me, it's really really made me more antisocial, and that's not good. But it's crazy because celebrity is not celebrity anymore, and the bulk and the way to make money is just not what it used to be. And it's why someone like Blake Lively was on the Red Carpet in hair makeup trying to really promote her hair care and promote her alcohol because she's on a red carpet on a movie that's like, you know, The Dark Ages and so that and that did three hundred million dollars. That's like a huge moment, so better maximize it because she doesn't have that many other opportunities to maximize it. Same with JL, like putting twenty five pounds of shit in a five pound bag.
Speaker 2: I mean, everyone's trying to get theirs.