Speaker 1: So the last couple of years when we've seen Yelich healthy, he has been one of the best hitters still in the National League.
Speaker 2: Here we go, Kurt Hog joining us, a beat Brewers Beat reporter from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, a regular on FT. Kurt, Great to have you on before we begin our storyline expedition. Did you have a conversation with the Great Pat Murphy?
Speaker 1: So, I'm actually still in Wisconsin. I don't go down to spring training for a couple of weeks with the way we have it set up. So the crew that's down there, Adam Mcalvey, Todd Rosiak, all those fellas, they did have a chat with Pat Murphy. So I'm sure that was a good time anytime, you know, you talk ball with Murph after not doing it for four or five months. I'm I'm sure there were some there were some murphisms that came out, for sure, But no, I got snow out my window here.
Speaker 3: Beautiful and your hats backwards. I appreciate you, Megan the adjustment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, if I put it forward, this is actually a Peter stras Lek. He had the He's not with the bruise anymore, but he has a had apparel brand and he donates the money too. It's a good cause, childhood cancer research. So I think he's with the Pirates now. He's in the division, but a good dude in baseball. So shout out to Strids.
Speaker 2: That's actually awesome, and make sure you look that up. Ft fam. If you have trouble spelling the last name, we all do, but just put Brewers at the end and then Google will help you out a little bit. All right, So let's dive into storyline with Kurt right now. We're gonna definitely hit four replacing all stars. Devin Williams the back into the bullpen. Willie domis the spark the Homers, just the consistency that he was bringing. Cheerio Part two. He was so good starting in June. Will that continue or could there be a sophomore slump where the league gets to study him all off season. Christian Yelich is back. He was really good last year when he was on the field, and after another great regular season performance, the Brewers disappointed in the playoffs pretty early too. Some people thought they would move along a little bit more than they did, including myself. But anyway, let's start at the top here. How are they going to replace Willie Damis and Devin Williams. What's the plan? Like, literally replace the home run production, the spark plug, the high leverage innings.
Speaker 1: I feel like we're going back to moneyball a little bit here, right where. How are we going to replace four wins from Willie Domas thirty homers at shortstop, a position where you guys don't hit thirty homers. And then Devin Williams, who you know, you could argue he's I'd probably put class A at the top of that class and that list of best closers in baseball. But boy boy, if he's not top three, I don't I don't know what's your what sport you're watching? So yeah, that's difficult. Luckily, for the Brewers, bullpen and pitching development at the major league level is a strength. So in that deal, you know they got Nestra Cortes back to bolster a rotation that you know, surprisingly for the Brewers, they they did need help in the rotation. So they are dealing with us with from the strength in the bullpen, but at shortstop, that looks Scott. That's there's a question here that I still don't know the full answer to I mean, we know who the you know, the people are, the players are, the bodies are that are in camp. Caleb Durban will will get a chance to you know, get some at bats and then field. Oliver Dunns, another guy, Bryce Terrang and Joy Ortiz had pretty good freshmen and rook our freshman and sophomore campaigns last year. Terrang won the Platinum Glove. So they'll be at some position in the infield, depending on how they want to maneuver things around. But yeah, it's that's going to be a big challenge. They're looking to replace those guys basically completely from from internal players, and that's not an easy thing to do, especially when you consider like the Brewers have yet to make it guaranteed free agents signing anywhere on the team. They really haven't made an addition to the offense anywhere.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: They had a good offense last year, so maybe they'll bank on that to be solid again this year. But yeah, you're you're hoping for kind of how it was last year, where you have a lot of these high variance players and it works out internally where some of them take those steps forward and you know you're not going to be replacing Willie Domas's four and a half wins at shortstop. But maybe it can come from somewhere else.
Speaker 4: It's a lot to ask for, a lot to ask for. Now, people on this show know that I was behind Jackson Turio to get more love for the Nation League rookie the year. I know he got off to a slow start, but if you look at his numbers from about June first to the end of the year, they were unbelievable. This kid was unbelievable. Now it took Paul Skeins to have an unbelievable year Jackson Merrill obviously with the big home runs and big hits. But can Jackson Curio be better?
Speaker 3: By better?
Speaker 4: I mean, can you just do what he did basically the last four months for a whole year, Because if he does that, you know there's some wins for you. There's an over eight hundred plus ops, right, there's homers, there's batting average or stolen bases, good defense in the outfield. I mean, can this guy take the next step to be the star the Brewers are counting on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure he can. And the Brewers are, like you said, they're counting on that. They're banking on him delivering and providing production not only with the power, but the speed, the average and his defense kind of took some surprising steps forward to last year after he was a little shaky early on in the year. Now, like we all know that development doesn't happen on a straight line. There's ups, there's downs, and we don't know exactly how it's gonna play out for Cheerio in You're two. I mean, the kid is like, the kid is still not twenty one years old, so it's not gonna surprise me. It probablyhouldn't surprise a ton of people if he does struggle a little bit again in twenty twenty five. But at the end of the day, and this is I think what the Brewers are banking on a little bit too, Like, this is not your average twenty one year old. This is a one of a kind talent who, as we saw in the playoffs against the Mets, like he loves the big moment. He's he's just wired a little bit differently, and it kind of gives you a little more optimism than you know, your average young kid that he's gonna just be able to tear the league up. So I'm personally expecting really big things out of him. Pat Murphy's expecting big things out of him, The Brewers are expecting big things out of him, And yeah, they're gonna need it because, like we just talked about, they lost a Damis, they lost Devin Williams, and they haven't added a ton from a free agency or trades this winner.
Speaker 3: Since breaking his kneecap, Christian Yelich took a decline, obviously, but since he's you know, gotten to the point where he felt like he was healthy, he has done nothing but continue to improve all of his rate stats, all of his peripheral numbers. Can he can continue that this year and stay on the field for one hundred and sixty two games?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, the question is how the back's going to hold up after the back surgery this offseason. But Kratz, you know what it looks like when Christian Yelich is playing at an MVP or a very close to MVP level. You got a good seat to that. And last year, when Christian Yelich was healthy, he may not have quite been at that insane of a level, like not a show hey Tani level, But I mean the guy was an All star starter he was opsing around one thousand when healthy, and then kind of took a little bit of a dip as he was trying to play through the back injury that ended up costing him a season. So the last couple of years when we've seen Yelich healthy, he has been one of the best hitters still in the National League. Now, yeah, the question is going to be about the back, because back surgeries are not exactly straightforward. Back injuries are not exactly straightforward. But the Brewers are going to be able to, like they have a lot of outfield a lot of outfield depths, so they'll be able to get him a lot of days off his feet at catcher or not a catcher designated hitter. They'll also catcher Willie mctres and Reee Hoskins will split time there as well. But if he's if he's able to stay healthy, for sure, I see no reason why he can't be a mid eight hundreds ops guy. Still still steal twenty bases depending on you know, how much rigor they're going to want him to put on the body in the field. But he's been really good. He started the All Star Game just last year.
Speaker 4: True, let's not go back to last year because Brewers fans they don't want to remember how last year ended. But the Petere Alonzo homer off Devin Williams on a pitch that he never gives up a home run too. But it's been kind of the story of the Brewers. They overachieve every year, or at least we think they overachieve if you look at their preseason projections. They make the playoffs and then they make an early exit. How can this team take the next step and get to the next round the LCS possibly a World Series with the roster they have, do they need to add et C But what's the way the Brewers and the Bruise fans can get to the next step.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really been challenging to watch the Brewers in the postseason if you're a fan the last few years. The way that Game three ended in the wild Card round was some just an unfathomable experience, really, just like seeing how the ballpark reacted to finally feeling like, hey, these guys are going to take the next step. Jake Bowers hit to go ahead homer in a in a doer die game. South Freelich hit a homer in a doer die game and then the best closer in the National League had, you know, the worst outing of his career. And that's that feels like how it's going the last few years for the Brewers. And this is ultimately the question that I think the Brewers and Brewers fans are facing, is like, the plan is clearly working. They've made it to the playoffs six of the last seven years, They've cruised to two straight division titles. Now going into this year again, people are probably gonna be picking the Cubs, and I think rightfully so, their roster on papers certainly looks better, and you know they're in the mix for they got Kyle Tucker. There mix for high end free agents or higher end free agents, and the Brewers really haven't spent any money this off season. So I think if you're looking at like in terms of taking the next step, you don't The lack of spending doesn't make you feel great about the ability to do that. But what kind of overrides that I think maybe in your mind is like, well, they've been able to do what they're doing without spending a ton. Their player development has taken, you know, extreme strides for they draft well, they scout. Well, their international signings are starting to you know, jump off the charts. So whether it's this year or you know, next year or the year after, you feel good about the Brewers still being in the mix, despite the fact that they're you know, at the low end of the free agent spending totem pole and maybe just maybe one of these years it'll work out. Although after the way that that that Met series and that Alonzo Homer happened and ended, I can understand if people are like, yeah, no, it's it's it's it's it's doomed, it's not gonna happen.
Speaker 3: How much more of a storyline would it be The Brewers win the World Series and Yuke is watching from above?
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty sweet? Pretty sweet. I mean this this year is gonna be It's gonna be strange, not seeing not seeing Bob at the ballpark, not hearing his voice, you know as you walk throughout the concourse at at the stadium as they pipe in the radio on the speakers. Just just a strange, strange feeling to like have baseball here, and you know what we have, you know, of of UK is the memories and the Brewers are wearing a shoulder patch on their jerseys for him.
Speaker 3: So uh like.
Speaker 1: Those guys will for sure be playing for you this year, especially, you know, the ones that have been around for a while, Yelich, Freddie Woody, Pat Murphy and him are obviously very close too. So like if you if you've been in the Brewers organization for a day you met Bob Buker, you understand how important he was, uh to the team. And even though he's not physic physically going to be around like that's that's how special he was that his presence is going to be felt every day.
Speaker 2: Still great, thank you so much for the time, and uh yeah, we're all thinking about Bob youker throughout this season. And hopefully you get out of the frigid, frigid temperatures very soon.
Speaker 1: Yeah soon we got sun down there.
Speaker 2: Fingers crossed, pretty dude, Arizona a little bit better this time of year. Good to see you, dude. Thanks for the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks, guys,