Speaker 1: Film Spotting is presented by Regal Unlimited, the all you can watch movie subscription pass that pays for itself in just two visits. See any standard two D movie anytime with no blackoutdates or restrictions. Sign up now on the Regal app or at the link in our description and use code film spot twenty six to receive fifteen percent.
Speaker 2: Off starre is Born. Tonight, I'm going holly hey, folks, this is the Movie Racket, and in the first season of this Film Spotting affiliated podcast hosted by Moir, we're looking at some of the unofficial rules and principles of Hollywood and some of the world's great filmmakers' ideas about what makes a film, any kind of film work and why that sounds pretty grand, doesn't it. Well. As a proud holder of an undergraduate degree from a Midwestern state school, I can tell you I can do a lot of things. I can do accidentally thoughtful. I can do earnestness up to five ten minutes at a time. But grand isn't really my idea for what the Movie Racket is about. We're looking at a century's worth of Hollywood wisdom in this program. Often in quip or snappy one line axiom form. The pitheist example is probably forever going to be William Goldman's line on Hollywood, immortalized at his book Adventures in the Screen Trade three words nobody knows anything. Each week we're going to stress test a different theory of a century's worth of movie making wisdom and see if any of it holds water for us here now today. And our extraordinarily special guest for episode two is Los Angeles Times film critic and longtime podcast veteran Amy Nicholson, and topic a as writer director of Preston Sturges used to refer obliquely to sex and the of stuff he loves. Sneaking past the censors is in fact Preston Sturges himself and his own eleven rules for box office appeal. What are those eleven rules? Well, sometime in the early nineteen forties, after Sturge's won an Oscar for his screenplay for The Great McGuinty, Sturges came up with this list as a joke. Never really confirmed in terms of where he wrote it or exactly when, but some say he scratched it out, maybe with friends, maybe alone at the bar of the Player's Club, which was a restaurant Sturges owned on Sunset Boulevard. This list started circulating around Paramount Pictures, where for a time Sturges had a sweetheart picture deal and he did not squander it. And you look at his streak as writer director from nineteen forty the nineteen forty four The Great McGuinty Sullivan's Travels, The Lady Eve, the Palm Beach Story, the Miracle of Morgan's Creek, and Hail the Conquering Hero. And that doesn't even count his beautiful script for one of My Face Christmas movies, Remember the Night, Funny, Sweet sad, absolutely singular Hollywood studio film that one. Amy and I are going to look at Sturge's eleven rules, some funny, some trying to be maybe not so funny, But the best of them, I think are a little different and a little more interesting. That worth thinking about, especially at a time when genuinely funny riders are terrifyingly scarce. Then again, Sturges himself didn't have a lot of competition in that department in his best years. So are this week's unofficial laws of Motion Pictures. According to Preston sturges just a joke, just another racket or is there something to them, something worth thinking about? Let's poke around, Amy Nicholson, it's so great that you could be guessed the second the second guest on our new podcast Venture the Movie Racket. Thanks really appreciating.
Speaker 3: It's such an honor, such an honor. He did my favorite actor first, and now I get to come in afterwards.
Speaker 2: Who all, right, hold on, Michael Shannon's your favorite actor? Yeah, well you should have interviewed him. I think why don't we We're going to toss out our Yeah, before we actually got on, you said that you wish you would do more comedies. I think you're probably not alone, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, remember when he played like with the evil Christmas elf in that Seth Rogan movie the night before and he was just stoner Lex, what's happening right now?
Speaker 2: Just looking into your soul? Man? What are you seeing? You need a nice mellow Indica. I got a great North Cali bud with a soothing body, high and surprisingly accurate visions of the future.
Speaker 3: He's fantastic when he gets menacing and hilarious in the same moment. He would also have been my vote for Jack Reacher. I always wanted a Jack Reacher with Michael Shannon.
Speaker 2: I love it. I love it. The development wheels are turning. I don't know. Do development wheels still turn in Hollywood. I don't know. You live closer to Hollywood than I do.
Speaker 3: They turn as slowly as possible for all the people in development to justify keeping their jobs without spending any money.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 3: Does that make sense? At least that's my impression.
Speaker 2: The system's working.
Speaker 3: It got to make sure we keep those exacts salary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Amy, These eleven rules of box office appeal that Preston Sturges came up with, And as far as people can tell, it was nineteen forty one. It was after he had written and directed The Great McGuinty and this sweetheart deal he had with Paramount, and he was already the one of the highest paid screenwriters, certainly in Hollywood, and he was about to become one of the highest paid filmmakers for a brief period with the string of hits he had after McGuinty, including The Lady Eve and Sullivan's Travels in the same year. So around that time, maybe at his own nightclub after too many drinks, nobody really knows for sure. He came up with these eleven rules, and I think we should just kind of whip through them for people who don't know them. Okay, why don't you just take the first one and we're going to read these quickly like actors being thrown sides without even you know, any prep. So once you do the first and I'll do the second, will hit the whole.
Speaker 3: Okay, So see if you even listed these in rr GO. A pretty girl is better than an ugly.
Speaker 2: One, A leg is better than an arm.
Speaker 3: A bedroom is better than a living room, and.
Speaker 2: An arrival is better than a departure.
Speaker 3: A birth is better than a death.
Speaker 2: A chase is better than a chat.
Speaker 3: A dog is better than a landscape.
Speaker 2: A kitten is better than a dog.
Speaker 3: A baby is better than a kitten.
Speaker 2: A kiss is better than a baby, and a.
Speaker 3: Prep fall is better than anything.
Speaker 2: Okay, now some of this is yeah, was he drug? Probably? Is it just for laughs? Of course that was the intention. Is there any sneaky wisdom in there that actually has something to say about what he was up to as a filmmaker and what we might actually look at today or especially people who don't know sturges from Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. Is there something to learn from what he's about as a filmmaker. So that's I guess that's why I thought of you, Amy, because you you know, you're a blithe, witty character, and I think this idea that it's a joke, but you know, maybe a little nugget or to a wisdom perhaps. But I just wonder what you think about this list and is there anything in there to really mess with?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think there's a lot, although it doesn't do much for us podcasters that he'd rather be chasing each other than chatting right now. Oh well, sorry, Preston. I mean, if I was looking at the list overall, I feel like, get all points in one direction, which is make sure you're writing scripts that are open. You know, all of these things are sort of opening the door. When you have a birth, you're opening the door to a new personality, a new life. When you have a bedroom, you're opening the door to some sort of excitement. It feels like he's continually pushing screenwriters to write in a way that like opens up new possibilities of where their script is going to go to add excits. I mean, that's my impression what about you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, same, I think so the one that really caught my eye looking at this, that feels like, yes, that's such a simple thing to remember, but such a good idea, and a rival is better than a departure. Oh that's my sister, the princess.
Speaker 4: Hello Maude, Hello Noodles.
Speaker 3: Where'd you get the pretty girl?
Speaker 5: She calls me snoodles.
Speaker 2: I mean they're both important, you know, depending on what your characters are up to. But I just think the idea of the constantly kind of keeping the pressure on yourself as a writer to invent new people and new interactions and new combinations of characters. Another door, another door, and now doors lead to farce right, and to the degree he's a far swer Preston sturges and we can kind of debate what do you want to call him? Is he a screwball comedy? The guy? Is he? You know? There's a lot but that I love that one in particular. I mean, I love a few of them. Don't love a pretty girls better than an ugly one. He's a wittier writer than that. But maybe he had to get one for the boys off quickly.
Speaker 3: I was trying to think of that in a way where I could make it good. I was like, well, a pretty girl has an effect on a room, maybe she could make it hero nervous. I was like, that's my most terriable explanation for why that one would work.
Speaker 2: That one. Yeah, now that one's kind of a cringer, you know, that's a yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean, I am definitely a pressince. They're just not so I'm so happy we're talking about this, like he's one of the filmmakers who made me fall in love with film from the beginning. I took a film class my freshman year. We watched Sullivan's Travels. That's still my favorite one.
Speaker 5: I want this picture to be a document I want to hold a mirror up to life. I want this to be a picture of dignity, a true canvas of the suffering of humanity. But with the little six or a little sex.
Speaker 6: And how about a nice musical?
Speaker 5: How can you talk about musicals at a time like this, with the world committing suicide, with corpses piling up on the street, with grim death gargling at you from every corner, with people slaughtered.
Speaker 6: Like sheep, Maybe they'd like to forget that.
Speaker 5: And why do they hold this one over for a fifth week at the Music Hall for the ushers, and dined in Pittsburgh like a dog. Well don't they know in pitts been or what they but they know what they like. They wouldn't live in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 3: And it just cracked open the door for me of how much wit and humor and speed there could be in a classic comedy. And yet when I look at this list, I really love it because I think I can see in myself the formation of my taste, you know, like his Preston surgiences will go on to influence the people who would make the films that then I would love, like the Cohen Brothers. And when I look at the at the positive side of the list, that the things that are better than the other side of the list. I see films full of like action and motion and comedy and situations. And when I look at the other side of the list, I see films that make me sad and depressed and I get restless. Landscapes and departures and deaths. And my least favorite type of movie is the kind where nothing really happens. When a person sits on a bus looking out the window out a landscape and you don't know what the ending is. I hate that. I hate that. So he's writing in a way that's all punctuation, right, I mean, I would much rather look at a dog than a landscape, especially now when our landscapes like I'm thinking of supergoll that just came out totally CG. The dog CG too. But at least he's better than looking at a bunch of stars. Hmmm.
Speaker 2: Interesting. Interesting. You just want to live in grieving organism, you know, at the center of things.
Speaker 3: Right, I do. I do. I like movies over TV because they're like condensed action, you know. I want to be watching things happen. I mean, yes, I can be in the mood to like sit and soak and absorb. You know. I'll definitely watch a Tarkowski absolutely, But he's not doing a list to advise Tarkowski's of the world. I think he'd make a totally different list for them. I don't even know if he'd be able to talk to them, maybe if they were dunk enough at players or something like that. He's making a list for Hollywood, right right, And this is the kind of movie I want Hollywood to be making again more steadily, just like entertainment, entertainment, entertainment that has in mind the audience's engagement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a couple of things I want to jump on here. This is a great jumping off point. Your point about the speed speed is a tricky prospect because it sounds very simple faster. On the other hand, an entire generation of performers and filmmakers seem to have forgotten the virtues of it, because we have a lot of actors who make a lot of movies who actually don't have much verbal facility at all. And is that because they don't have stage training. Maybe in some cases, but I also just think it's like something has fallen out of the popular culture that enjoys chasing after these conversations. And that was my first impression watching Sturges in high school or early college, just about that fantastic, intoxicating, addictive sound of overlapping dialogue, almost almost overlapping. His girl Friday was probably the first time I heard kind of a primo example of that in the kind of comedy. I love the Hawks film from right around the same time, nineteen forty and actually, when you look at how that thing was put together, I mean he spent a lot of time in rehearsal, and hawks said simply, okay, fast as you can this time. Okay, you up that by fifty percent, will shoot. And that's how he got. Even with a radically rewritten version of the Front Page, it still has basically the whole play in there. That's how he got a three hour play down to ninety four minutes or something. But also I think maybe to your point about who's going to really kind of illuminate a room or really sort of like get the room buzzing with something other than just money or good looks, but maybe both. I mean, Rosalind Russell is such an incredible standout in that film. She's i mean fully running fifty one percent of that film. And you think of the Sturges heroines who really not so much in Sullivan's Travels because there's not really a primary I mean Ronica Lake obviously.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she has that slow, magical delivery almost she's like, yeah, she's like a snake charmer talker, right right.
Speaker 2: Stan Wick and Lady Eve, I mean, you know, or Clauda Colbert and the Palm Each story that's you know, that's almost entirely vanished now in terms of a role that good played by somebody who's more than just conventionally beautiful, do you know.
Speaker 3: I mean, I feel like we've got comedians who could do it right. Like Zoey Deutsch is the one I always think of when I think of who could be today's Rosalind Russell, because she can do that tough girl, moxy fast talking comedic thing. All I care about that I'm not still an assistant when I'm twenty eight.
Speaker 2: I'm twenty eight.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I'm so sorry for you. That's very sad for you. I think she's incredibly talented, Zoe Ditch. I want to see her in everything. I love her in romantic comedies especially, I think she's great in those. I mean, it is almost like we lost an entire way of talking, like that continental accent that these people would use to deliver these like dead pan zingers. I don't know where that went. I mean, I guess Marlon Brando just went boom it like took it all away. He's like, we don't talk like that anymore. Now. We mumble, which fine, mumbling has its strength. But I wonder if we could resurrect some of this. Although I mean, what I think is kind of so so funny about this list that Preston Surgis is putting out is I believe he abides my these things, but I would say his films are about ten times more than this, right, Like Preston Sturgis movie is about you know, corruption or people doing like hilarious dark things for the wrong reasons. Like he's leaving out the bleakness here. I think maybe that's his secret. I'm going to make fast paced comedies about how I think the world's kind of rotten.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, that's a great point. And they're not necessarily just fast, because that's not the key to comedy.
Speaker 5: Really.
Speaker 2: You look at Remember the Night, which he wrote from nineteen forty, and that is not really essentially primarily even a comedy comedy. I mean, that's a very bittersweet and very kind of like arresting Peace, you know. Fred McMurray and Barbarus Stanwick.
Speaker 5: Honor. I want to please Honor.
Speaker 4: I don't believe this young woman as well.
Speaker 5: I think a five minute recess want to recover. I am undoubtedly responsible for having made it.
Speaker 4: Please check she's not responsible for what she said.
Speaker 3: I'm all right.
Speaker 5: I just want to peet guilty if you honor what kindly grant a five minute recess.
Speaker 2: My child?
Speaker 5: Why do you want to plead guilty? And when you make a mistake, you've got to pay for it.
Speaker 2: And it just doesn't work that way. I think, you know. I was listening to the local classical station where I do a little work, and they played Rossini's Overture to Barbara Seville, which is full of like great up tempo. Ajitahi, you have beautiful fast stuff. It's not all at the same speed. It's in and out and in and out there. When I rewatch and re listen to the Sturges stuff that I really love, it is not just fast, you know, it's much more than that.
Speaker 3: That's true. When it is fast, you feel the fast, and when he eases the tempo back, you think why, and then you sink into it. Yeah, I mean, I think of that, especially Sullivan's travels and moving that I think goes very fast and very slow and very fast and very slow right, and in that he's even I think giving like his grand thesis statement at the end, you know, comedy matters.
Speaker 5: I don't want to make o brother. We're art though we want to make a brother. We're not. No, and I say it with some embarrassment. I want to make a comedy. Why don't you want to make Old Brother? Where art that is selling? In the first place, I'm too happy to make Old Brother, We're art Doo. In the second place, I haven't suffered enough to make O Brother, We're art doo. You haven't suffered enough. He hasn't suffered enough. No, But so I'll tell you something else. There's a lot to be said for making people laugh. Did you know? That's all some people have. It isn't much, but it's better than nothing in this cock eyed caravan.
Speaker 3: That's why I'm excited to talk about this list with you is because comedy really matters, I think, especially now, and I want to Hollywood to be like anointing back on the high platform of like this is a great art. You know that this is a great entertainment. I mean, have you seen the invite that just came out?
Speaker 2: No? I haven't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a great adult comedy. I think Sturgis himself would really like it, even though people a kind of trapped inside chatting the whole time, and they sent the kid away.
Speaker 2: This is Olivia Wilds film. It's just now coming to theaters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's Olivia wild Death Brogan, Edward Norton and Milty cruise. But I saw that with a crowd twice.
Speaker 6: This is still a good time.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, are you sure we are not interrupting something.
Speaker 3: It's great, good, it's good for you. Yes, it's great for us. Yeah, we love Yep.
Speaker 6: It took you a while to come to the door, and it sounded like you were arguing. No, I just want to be honest.
Speaker 5: We were.
Speaker 6: We were at the door before we rang, and we could hear you were fighting.
Speaker 5: Oh, we were talking.
Speaker 2: We were we were fighting. We were fighting a bit of a contentious environment. And here's what I understand. If that's repellent to you, No hard feelings, you know what I mean, completely understand.
Speaker 6: You know we love a contentious environment.
Speaker 2: You had the jackpot, then, my friend, you're in for a treat.
Speaker 3: To be in a room of people laughing at dialogue felt so good.
Speaker 2: That's a sentence we shouldn't have to say out loud.
Speaker 3: You know, we have to take our shoes off. Oh god, no, no, no, no, no, no, yeah, okay, great you look.
Speaker 5: At this place.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thank you, Joe, tell it be honest, do you want us to take him off.
Speaker 2: I don't give it if you take your shoes off. Personally, Here's one thing I wouldn't mind arguing with Sturge's reputation. A bit about he lands on a pratfall is better than anything. That's his rule number eleven. There's a lot of pratfalls in his films. You get somebody like William Demriest anywhere near and these and most of them, most of the great ones, half the pratfiles are almost willfully unmotivated. It's like, hey, what the hell you know? I throw it in and Demerist can do a pratfall. I don't know if Sturge's is as dazzling a physical comedy master is he is writing verbal slapstick. What do you think of my assessment?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think that's true as fast as it goes by. I never do love that scene in Sullivan's Travels where suddenly, like the bust that they're on goes haywire and everyone's running around and the cook is like upside down. I think I've in general, almost never been a prat fault person, except when there are emotional stakes to it, like I like it when Henry Fonda falls in the Lady, Eve, did.
Speaker 4: You hurt yourself?
Speaker 3: I'm fine.
Speaker 5: I just.
Speaker 4: Because his character is just so so together or he wants to see it consider himself so together that to see that straight faced guy take a prap Faul, great, you.
Speaker 5: Go upstairs and take a bath.
Speaker 3: And I like you just as much as ever.
Speaker 4: There's a good.
Speaker 3: Boy, good lou But messy people falling down has never quite been my thing, except for the Jacks movies. They're like their own corner of the comedy universe.
Speaker 2: To me, right, yeah, And I think contemporary slapstick tends to lean so hard into kind of a much more kind of like openly sadistic brand of slapstick. This is all flower for our friend Bam.
Speaker 3: We're gonna antiqu him when he gets here.
Speaker 4: Pig five.
Speaker 2: Not my thing. If you're a long way from Keaton at that point. Buster Keaton, the media may have peaked a little early. Keaton came along when he did. I don't know on that front, only on that front, but I mean, there are when you see actors in Sturge's films, like Palm Beach Story was the one I saw most recently. But when when you see Mary aster just sort of like swan into this movie at high speed, you know, and then just eat these lines alive, you know. And and but I mean, god, all money, that's like the best high comedy vacation you could take. And just than a handful of scenes wonderful. Yeah, And what you said earlier just about the sort of the compression quality. Actually, that was something that I don't quote Andrew Sarras very much because I still don't know if he knows what a director does for a living, but he did right at one point. What distinguishes Sturges from his contemporaries is the frantic congestion of his comedies. Good word, the brugal of American comedy directors. Sturge has created a world of peripheral professionals, politicians, gangsters, executives, bartenders, cab drivers, secretaries, bookies, card sharps, movie producers, doctors, dentists, bodyguards, butlers, inventors, millionaires and derelicts. And that is kind of the teeming sense of things. I think that you know, when you realized he got these cockamamie plots that can barely be diagrammed, you know, done in as few as eighty five ninety ninety five minutes. It's kind of amazing. And I think that's why I love. An arrival is better than a departure, because it is always another door for another delight and another great actor, right, And that's I guess that's what I do. Hope a younger filmmaker would would take a look at, like how do you make these? You know? I mean, is he an influential filmmaker or just is he just like some sort of freakishly talented unicorn that we were lucky to get as long as we had him, you know, Or that.
Speaker 3: We were lucky to have operating has Peak as long as we had I mean, although I do stick up for some of his stuff, like Unfaithfully Yours that came later in his career, I think he was freakishly talented. I think he's at a bar that people haven't quite been able to match. But I do think most comedy writers working today hold him as like the mechanical rabbit on the track, Like can I come up with something that makes me laugh like that? At least that's what I want to imagine. But you know, what I think is interesting is like, not only is he laying down these rules and abiding by them. I'm trying to think of a scene where he has a kitten that's better than a dog, which is the one. I'm a cat person, but I'm like, I don't know if I believe it, and I feel like dogs are funnier than kittens. I love kittens. Eh, that's the one. I'm like as a cat person that I quiggle with it. I find kind of surprising even by myself. But like he is working, he comes to Hollywood, you know, before he's even getting to direct on his own, in a time where right when the production code is getting serious, when these new other rules are being laid down on top of Hollywood, you know, where you can't criticize the clergy, where you can't criticize anything, you can't allude to all sorts of you know, women stepping out. There's so many sexual rules, moral rules, ethical rules are suddenly not allowed to break on screen because they're trying to be upright citizens in Hollywood, or trying to at least convince America that they are. And he is making these films that are absolutely criticizing American hypocrisy and voter fraud and attitudes towards pregnancy. And gold digging at any costs, and like he's getting in so many elbows at the American way of life within these codes. I think there's something so Paul Grock about, like the postcode comedies. I know we talk about pre code. I love pre code is like being rebellious and funny. But I love the people working right after the code who are still getting it across, you know, that are figuring out what am I going to do in these constrictions to like let you know what we're laughing at.
Speaker 2: And in Surt's case, in war time, I mean it was this was no time to make fun of anything. And then here he's making Hall a conquering hero, which is just very very you know, cynical, kind of like zuberant cynicism about patriotism and jingoism.
Speaker 3: Right, I mean right or right now, I'm like, please don't let anybody in office know about the great McGuinty. Oh no, they'll related. People are going around voting in elections thirty times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I read something just this morning. I'd love to share the age to see what you think. And it's about that sort of not simply what he was getting away with miraculously, just frankly out of sheer speed. You know, in some of the moments in his films where he just sort of came Miracle Morgan's Creek, it's like, wait, what are the implications here? You know, A I love it that with that film with Betty Huddon as the we could just call it mysteriously pregnant home Front woman who was for veils kind of like unfurl very quickly in this film. But you know, when the brass was saying, well, what's this way, what's this film about, it's, oh, it's just about, you know, a woman waiting for a man, you know, to come back from the war, basically like okay, we're fine, you know, we're fine. And then, of course, you know, he was always just about ten pages ahead of what he had to film the next day, so you know, you probably didn't know necessarily where this thing was going either. But back in nineteen twenty nine he wrote a play, second play on Broadway. He was like barely thirty thirty one, I think, strictly dishonorable, and it was a huge hit two year run. And in that play, it's setting to speak easy. It's just basically a very simple romance between a Southern bell who finds yourself in manhatt and this Italian opera star who's sort of on the make. And that's it. That's the premise, that's the setting and all that. But within that, this is Richard Nelson here, the director and playwright writing here in a collection of plays. He said that this is a writer who expresses an international point of view and sympathies, and the play, strictly Dishonorable is a wonderful expression of the great debate which raged across America in the twenties and thirties and still is actually the clash between those urging America to remain isolated and those arguing for America to accept an international role as an active participant in world affairs. I mean, his play turns on this conflict between should this young woman who's kind of lost in Manhattan and charmed but wary of this Italian opera star. Should she The conflict is between staying safe and protected and seeing the world and growing. And the play conclude it's on the side of expanding one's horizons. And that to me is kind of like that struck a bello me. It's like, yeah, that's that's The great thing about his Sturge, the Sturge's films, It's like, it's not just about protecting the American way of life. It's about you know, being sort of like thrown for a loop constantly by either the American way of life and more's or just like these great sort of exotic you know, elements to come in from from nowhere.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: That's what feels modern to me about him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true. His curiosity and his ability to say, you might screw up disastrously, maybe you're making a mistake, but whatever, let's go on, It'll be fine, Like, let's carry on here. I mean, I assume that probably a lot of that just came from his childhood, right Like, he had a mother who I think was continually falling in love, continually getting married. He was being struggled back and forth between America and France. I believed a lot as a boy. So he grew up I think with that international perspective, had kind of a I don't know, tumultuous sounds maybe more negative than I think it was. It just to me it sounds exciting kind of his lifestyle. Who knows, I don't know. I don't know how would feel to be eleven? And you're like, what's my mother doing? Now? What's happening? Why do I have any stepfather? But he got to live at the knees of a woman kind of chasing her passions and figuring out how to be happy. And I wonder if you like invested a lot of that in his script. You know, maybe every decision won't be right, but look at her, she's still having fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the chaos in the films probably comes from a more painful sort of chaos he experienced as a kid. But he's not There's no reason to necessarily go there. There's a guy with a nice deal at the Paramount Studios, you know, I mean just but you can find other things that led to the female protagus that we love today. And I love what you say about the pre code era because he looked at something like a few years after that, when the Catholic leads into decency triumphed, you know, and clamp down on the more brazen examples of ignoring the production code. You still have Leo mca harry doing the awful truth. You still have My Man Godfrey, and you still have these films where it's more about you know, if you didn't have work of that level of wit. And that's what I love too. The characters are are not just smart ass, they are really quick witted people, you know. And even the people that aren't supposed to be witty. In the Sturges film, they have the weenie King in the Palm Beach story is not a guy with a sense of humor, but he's hilarious, you know. And for those who don't know the Palm be Sorry rented, I don't. I can't possibly do.
Speaker 3: It justice in an explanation, I'll just say that that's the gold Digger Cobert. I love her in those kind of a phase. She's so good at playing oh yeah, the money loving girl that your rootings were. Despite all this by being like I think I'd hate this person in person, but like, you know, I'm thinking about it. I mean, I went to a Catholic high school where I was always trying to figure out where the rules hadn't been written. I guess if that makes sense, you know, where I would go through the dress code and it's like, okay, so I have to wear this uniform sweater, but nobody is saying that I can't cut it into a crop sweater, and then I'd get in trouble and then I'd like make my case and then they'd have to change the rule book. And that was my way of amusing myself, you know, like, oh, Okay, I have to wear these shoes, but it doesn't say I can't paint them a nail polish. Great, I have to do that. Then I get really, yeah, just justice for that sake of like knowing that rules had flaws in them. And so that's what I'm hearing in my head as I'm hearing you talk about all of these great postcode comedies. Figuring out how I mean Buzby Berkeley has always been my favorite. Where you know, he's making the sexiest musical numbers. There's a Webberwell lads calling.
Speaker 5: You buy a waterfall.
Speaker 3: He's dreaming marching body.
Speaker 1: Modern nature change told me.
Speaker 3: And then it cuts to a bunch of baby birds in the nest and You're like, oh, I know what these people are doing now, they're making baby birds. You know, I love that stuff. There's something really punk about it that makes me happen, right, I mean.
Speaker 2: It's getting away with murder when not really looking closer though looking at the wrong things.
Speaker 3: But yeah, there's anage right now, mother, Nay, it's.
Speaker 2: Not so amy. Let's assume that a lot of people reading this list, they're going to say, amusing, whatever, if there's something that you could add to this list, And the sturge is sort of vein that applies to where we are today, not just in the state of comedy, which lacks oppressed in sturges, of course, but also just with an industry that you know is really even sure, which ponied to back on any given quarter of their owner's stock reports. Right, are there rules? You think that might not be a bad idea to consider in trying to make comedies that don't stink in twenty twenty six, whether you're a Sturgis fan or.
Speaker 3: Not, you know, I had two, and I think I might have just added a third. Maybe maybe the first one's really small. A consequence is better than a threat, because I love movies where people are trying to you know, oh no, this is gonna happen. What am I going to do? Got to evade this, got to get this, gotta get this done. And when it's one single threat kind of dangling over the whole movie, I find it really frustrating they're going to solve it or they won't. I like it when I'm watching a film and early on the threat comes true and it becomes a now what ah good. Yeah, So that's one for me. A door opens, A door opens. Yeah. Another one I was thinking of really recently because of being kind of mom during the very stupid stoner comedies that are coming out of Hulu. Hulu is making movies that are like throwing back to the eighties. They're wonderful, they're like so moronic and fantastic, and they're making me excited about comedies again. And they're doing something that doesn't quite fit these rules. So I would call this rule a surprise is better than a rule, because they're breaking stuff that you don't expect to get broken. I don't want to give too much a way about one, but there's a scene where you think, oh, it's going to be a normal like escaping this hallway scene to get away from this person. They don't these people don't want to see, and suddenly people's heads start exploding. Let's do this.
Speaker 4: Ah what oh oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my god.
Speaker 3: So you don't change it. I think I think I think, oh, okay, okay, well, I think our heads explode if we say curse words.
Speaker 4: God damn it.
Speaker 3: And it was the last thing I expected to see in this film was heads exploding. But the shock of that it made a comedy feel completely alive to me again, like anything could happen in this movie. And so, yeah, I don't want to make the same old comedies. I want to make comedies that somehow figure out something new to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, i'd like that. Do you have a third one?
Speaker 3: Did you say I have a third one? I think it's just really minor. But because I suddenly thought, oh, if I can just get in a rule for Hollywood overall, ah, then I will say this one, thinking in mind of Preston sturg just no how much he stuck up for his ensemble, keeping them together. I will say that the right comic is better than the famous comic, because I think too many movies right now are cast dependent not getting even made because you can't get I don't know, freaking Kevin Hart to star in them. Terrible. I want comedies are where you get to discover new talents, and I want to see that there too. I want them just to put in some funny person I've never seen before. Maybe it'll grow up to be Mick Love and we'll never hear from him again. I don't know. But maybe it'll grow up to be Cethroga.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, exactly. And this is there's not anybody in Hollywood who hasn't said, in a position of green lighting power to the degree that they have it, who hasn't said, we want to discover new talent, or you know, we want something fresh and original. You know, I mean Jack Lipnick in Barton Fink, who ran what is a monumental studios in the Coen Brothers film I Forgot. I mean, he's he's spouting that kind of nonsense the you know, although his I guess his. The motion picture law, according to Jack Lipnick, is pretty simple, orphan or dame. How are you going to complicate your you know, your screenplay?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 3: Oh, I'd vote.
Speaker 2: Damn that's good.
Speaker 5: I like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if I had to add one for twenty twenty six, it would be, I think, as simple as this, and it's more of a gripe and that's it. In action comedy, which many, many, many examples keep coming at us. Small budget and especially big budget in the action comedy. Comedy is more important than action. Yeah, I don't like rom coms that are just sort of think, well, all right, will of course we're going to have huge action set pieces, even if it's not inherently kind of like friendly to that idea, like the I mean, The Fall Guy or whatever, you know. But I'm just I'm just thinking of films like The Lost City with Channing Tatum and Sandra Bullock, which I haven't thought of at all since this morning when I did a little research on it. I had actually utterly forgotten about that film. But that's that's the kind of film I don't have any patients with anymore.
Speaker 3: That's really true. I mean, that's almost them. We're really disagreeing with the rule that we made fun of at the beginning that it chases better than a chat, because yeah, when it gets that third act and then people have to run around or stop the bad guy or the comic has to take out a gun or whatever, I immediately stop caring. I do not care about that in the slightest right. Yeah, I could not agree.
Speaker 2: More, and I couldn't agree more with stur just that very rule that chase is better than the chat, I mean, how much? Why does he sparkle today? The banter is not incidental to the pleasures there, you know, and every single character is quick witted.
Speaker 3: Maybe he's trying to throw people off. Maybe he's like, only I can be the most prestigious comedy screenwriter in Hollywood. I'm going to give him a red herring. Go do that, Go do a chase, and I'll be over here writing some great chats.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So you would say, Amy, that you find value in this list beyond just sort of like a nineteen forty one curio.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very much, very much. I mean, gosh, we were even just talking about code and skipping over. The bedroom is better than a living room. Definitely an eyebrow raise there.
Speaker 2: Love it? Yeah, yeah, I think I always kind of default to this line, but I've read it somewhere whereas America has sexualized everything except sex, you know, I mean, advertising everything, but when we see a genuinely sensual, free spirited, romantic comedy that actually has every element of love working for and through the main characters, it's like a surprise that oh, a rediscovery, you know. Yeah, it's all over sturgee stuff, my god.
Speaker 3: And then he left us a lot of stuff for today's comics to satirize. Yeah, we have not gotten, I would say much healthier. So have at it people.
Speaker 2: It Amy, thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 3: I mean, Michael, it's such a pleasure to be here as you're joining the podcast universe. I've been in the space for a gazillion years with like unspooled, the podcast I did with Paul shere we did the AFI Top one hundred. I am always impressed when somebody comes up with a new, original idea for a show. So kudous to you, Thank you, thank.
Speaker 2: You very much. I think you'll just be the permanent cast. I appreciate. We'll see you next week. No, thank you, No, you're all pro man and the writing at the La Times has been just tip top. So way to go.
Speaker 3: Oh thank you, Oh colonel, I'm delighted to see you again.
Speaker 6: We must play cards and lots of cards.
Speaker 5: Stewarts some champion for the colonel curtain name is by Really, haven't it right to drag me off like this?
Speaker 2: After Amy and I talked, I thought about something she said about how we're introduced to a film or a filmmaker in high school, college, whenever it is, and suddenly your taste in movies changes. Your taste is being formed or reformed, and it's too late. You're basically in love in a brand new way. Something is dropped into your life. And, as Preston Sturgis says in his eleven Rules for Box Office Appeal and arrival is always better than a departure. The movie Racket is produced by Joe des and Me. Michael Phillips, Adam Kempinar, and Sam ben Holgren executively produced the movie Racket. Next week, we look at an incredibly reductive, unofficial Hollywood law laid down by the great Howard Hawks. And my guest is Billy Murnett, a veteran script analyst for Universal Studios. He's read a few thousand scripts, seen an ungodly number of changes in this wobbly screen industry, and we're going to take on the Howard Hawk's assertion that a good movie is three good scenes and no bad ones. Sounds so easy when you put it that way. Thanks so much to la Times film critic Amy Nicholson for joining us this week. She's also a current on air voice at LAist and KCRW. Her book on Tom Cruise Tom Cruise, Anatomy of an Actor is out and about, and her second book, Extra Girls, will be published soon by Simon and Schuster. She also co hosts the movie podcast Unspooled with Paul Sheer. I'd love to hear from you. If you're in a communicating mood, drop me onanted movie racket at film spotting dot net. This is a Film Spotting production.
Speaker 1: I'm Michael Phillis, Califonia, Eli