Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Pania, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Welcome in What's Right with Nick Grit Episode two forty eight. Hope everyone had a lovely Juneteenth Holiday? It demands it was an unbelievable celebration right here in front of your mother's store in Harlem. Her friend Maria uh Through had another. Uh she does these. You've maybe seen them. I'm not sure if you were living here when she was doing them. She calls it soapbox presents and their block parties, and she does them every couple of months or maybe every month. But the one last night on one hundred and nineteenth Street was a full blown concert. It was a joyous occasion. It was a really good cops weren't mess with anybody. Everybody was having a good time. Trin did stayed open until midnight. Till midnight, yeah, I mean because there were so many people around coming in absolutely and then I get home and I'm like, oh, seems like the real party was in La. You should have gone, Buddy you Oh you haven't been on Okay. I was gonna say, are you not aware of the Kendrick concert? But I assume you are there concert.
Speaker 3: I haven't been on social media. What it was. It was a big thing.
Speaker 2: Behind Buddy.
Speaker 3: Crypt.
Speaker 2: I think it was at the Forum, but the too long, didn't read version is Kendrick. I mean. Bamani Jones did a great recap of this. You know what, I'm gonna do something. It's I don't even know if from a technical standpoint, this is going to work. This might be a disaster, but we're gonna try something. It's not gonna work. I was gonna FaceTime Bamani and then try to hold the phone up to the microphone so people could hear him. If people want a good recap of it, check Bamani's uh social media account. But Kendrick united Los Angeles, truly united Los Angeles Bloods and Crips on stage together dancing and you know what they were united in one caused demons hating d yes that is buddy. He had Russell Westbrook and demart De Rosen on stage dancing to not like us. I mean Demarto Rosen played for the Raptors, used to wear Ovo gear. I mean it was a hell of an event. Bron was there, I mean it was he didn't go on stage, but everybody else did. And so again this is I can appreciate the music and the moment, but also have the self awareness to know you're not coming to me for you know, the analysis of what that means and what that was. But it was something else, man, And I didn't know it was going because the whole it was I was out and not, you know, trying to be present and in the moment, and so I wasn't on my phone at all. And then I got home around one last night after we shut down the store, got done with everything, and I'm scrolling Twitter. I'm like, oh boy, we missed quite the event on the other side of the country. But so it really seemed like a really cool Juneteenth. And I think it was I think it was Wesley Lowry that made this point. I'm not sure, but the Kendrick thing was so I mean, it's so seismic. And because Juneteenth is a newly recognized federal holiday, this is Lowry's point that there isn't like, like on the fourth of July you set off fireworks, right like we know on Thanksgiving we watch football in eat turkey. It's long established traditions June teenth being a day people even though people have celebrated for a long time being a day people have off work and all of it, there's not yet an established precedent of oh, so like what is the go to celebration? And Lowry's point was, did Kendrick just set it as it's a concert live music day today where people listen to music and celebrate that way, And he might have. It might have been a legitimately a legitimate cultural touchstone. And the fact that it was, you know, the crescendo of it was this, these folks hating Drake is really a really hard for a remarkable thing. And so so all of that is so that was the night. One other note that I need to tell you. So this is sorry if you guys heard, I'm gonna again. Sports are kind of you know, we're in the slow zone. So I don't mind starting the show like this. Sorry for the ding you just heard. I'm glad I can tell them this. It's a fun time in a parent's life when he has a kid old enough that he can say these things too about his siblings. I I just got a text, and that's what you guys heard, the ding. And the text was from you're older, not older than you, but your oldest sister. And it was just a screenshot of an email. And parents with teenage kids can relate the most every time I get an contextless like you need to look at this email. I just got text. My heart just drops, like, oh Jesus, like what is this? Like you owe? Like is this like the you you owe six thousand dollars for damage to a dorm? Is this you know what I mean? Like, oh, actually you you missed a midterm? It just it and so I just glanced at It's actually fine, It's it's a positive email, but there is an element of like, oh no, it's the same feeling you get if you have teenage kids that text all the time and never call when they When you see that they are the one calling you, you want to be excited about it, but you're actually terrified, Like oh Jesus, you're just like gripping. You're like, all right, I hope this is Hey, how's it going? And I still I'm gonna. I'm gonna I I will without giving details. And even though I Demonse turns twenty six in three weeks, hasn't been in any what I would call real trouble in four years. It's been a long time, three years, like you know what I mean, and real trouble is too extreme, but any like where it's like, oh man, this is a stressful, crummy situation. He's never actually been in any real trouble in his whole life. And even yesterday Demonse called me with great news, but I misheard the word conversation as confrontation. I was like, oh Jesus, because I knew the person's abodes. And the answer was, I had an amazing conversation with so and so today. And I heard I had an amazing confrontation with so and so. I'm like, Jesus, what happened? So, yeah, that's maybe that's no, it's not you. It's just the neuroses of being a parent. Also, one other thing before we get to the actual show. If you subscribe to the print edition of arguably the greatest magazine cultural magazine that's ever existed, The New Yorker, the one that, amazingly this is an unbelievable turn of events. On the cover has a white dad wearing an Olivia Rodrigo t shirt, vaping black mom, and a tennish year old daughter walking in front of them, annoyed with her parents. That's the cover of the prededition of this week's New Yorker. If you have it, go to page seven and look on the right hand column in the three things I'm interested in this week, and number two is the author's favorite television show. First things first, it is so dope. He calls it like Letterman for sports fans. Now, I was aware that this existed on the New Yorker website like that it last weeks. It was sent to me and then I saw the who wrote it, and I was taken aback, and I tweeted about it. But because I'm old. It's one thing to have something be on the website. It's another thing to have it in the print edition of the magazine, not of the New Yorker magazine. And the fact that the cover might as well have been me, your mom, and Deanna. I don't have an Olivia Rodrigo T shirt, but if I did, I would wear it. Is pretty, is pretty unbelievable. It might be the greatest press the television show's ever gotten. To get blurbed in the New Yorker is unfathomable, and shout out to the author. And it's really cool. And if you subscribe to New Yorker again, page seven, right hand column. Okay, I said we were gonna go fast today. We have now gone ten minutes and the show hasn't really even started.
Speaker 3: My apologies anything we've ever gone before.
Speaker 2: I know, and I usually make fun of podcasts for doing that exact thing where it's like it, but it is that time, and I think all of that, and I do think the Kendrick thing was the zeitgeist, and I think people relate to the parenting. And if I'm in the New Yorker, I'm gonna talk about it all right, Here's what missed the cut. Travis Kelcey on the Super Bowl Ring Typo. He says he doesn't give ah and he shouldn't. Of all the things that could be a typo, this is the least meaningful. If they've gotten the score of one of the games wrong, that's unfortunate. If they had gotten the team they played wrong, that's almost we have to remake the ring. But calling the Dolphins the seventh seed when they were the sixth seed doesn't matter. Pascal Siakam's gonna sign a Max and Andy and Willie Mays. I believe the great baseball player to ever live passed away at ninety three. We I don't like to do brief obituaries, and but there's not a lot of sports memorabilia that I still have. But and demon'sa you might not even realize it's Willie Mays, but in my office, think about when you were sitting in my office watching football. On the wall where the door is the exactly the box that has the baseball in it. Yes, is a picture of Willie Mays making the most famous catching baseball history and assigned Willy Mays Baseball. I've had that for on it close to thirty years now. The greatest aside from Barry Bond, who has the weird kind of I don't know if asterisk but cloud hanging over him. The greatest baseball player of my lifetime all around, hitting, fielding, all around was King Griffy Due, and Willy Mays was, quite literally in a lot of statistical categories, twice the player, and Griffy's one of the fifteen greatest players ever. It's unfathomable what a great player he was. And as a reminder that history is what we are currently living, we try to pretend it was a long time ago. Willy Mays, who passed away two days ago. Remember a couple weeks ago when Major League Baseball added the Negro league stats to the official Major League Baseball stats, Willy Mays, who has passed away at ninety three two days ago, career hit number went up by eight because he played in the Negro leagues. And then he played twenty four years in professional baseball with a year and a half stolen from him because he was in the Korean War. An unbelievable, legendary player and one of the most universally popular players of all time. And all right, so, demonse, let's get to the actual show and talk to Jason Tatum.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so yes, shay On your show, you talked about the different levels that Tatum could reach, and the Twitter aggregators picked that and ran with it. So here's your chance to set the record straight. Where do you think that Tatum's ceiling is?
Speaker 2: So I I think his ceiling is probably I think he's very close to his ceiling. I disagree with Bill Simmons that there's another level he's going to get to. I understand he's just twenty six, but he's a weird twenty six because he's twenty six with one hundred and ten playoff games under his belt, so he's played so much in high levered spots. I like Shay is Shay is only a few months younger than Tatum. I think it's more realistic to believe Shay has more levels because Shay just hasn't been in these types of spots as all. And maybe I'm wrong about that, but my frustration is twofold one is I'm gonna read you a tweet. Someone clipped what Bruce said Jason Tatum about his contract. Jason Tatum deserves the money, no question, but yes he has something to prove. Can he play his best in the finals? Because the question we were asked was does Jason Tatum have anything more to prove? And this person quote tweeted it saying the fing goalpost moving is hilarious and then quotes Kobe Bryant stats over his first two finals, which is a little unfair to Kobe because Kobe was not good at all in his first finals and then very good in his second finals. But that then made the overall numbers just look mediocre. But it wasn't like he was. He was bad in won and then quite good in the next one. The overall numbers look mediocre. Then they show Lebron's first two finals finals. Lebron wasn't good in either one of those, and then Tatum's that tweet proves my point or Bru's point. You know what, Lebron James had to prove after his first two finals that he could play well in the finals. Did he have something less to prove? Absolutely? Now Lebron didn't have a championship, and Tatum does. Kobe had two. With that point, Tatum has won. But it's not people. This would be goalpost moving. Okay, if folks wouldn't give Jason, if folks were like, you know what, I'm not impressed by Jason Tatum. If folks said, let me rephrase it. If folks going into it said, like I did, I question whether or not you can win the championship with Jason Tatum as your best player. And then the Celtics win the championship with Jason Tatum as one A, one B but their best player over the course of the year, even if he wasn't their best player in the finals, but it was arguable at least, And then they say, don't care that he did it, he wasn't that good, and then take shots at him. That's goal post moving. It is not goal post moving. To say, okay, that level of the video game is completed, how high can you rise? That to me is complimentary me saying so I was asked, the thing that got aggregated from me was I was asked, same question, was Jason Tatum I have left to prove? And my answer was, well, it depends on what he's trying to prove. And I used wild as a career as an example, but I'll use my own instead. If my goal professionally was I want to one day host a national television show in the sports room, then if you were like, hey, Nick, what more do you have to prove. If that was my peak goal, then the answer is nothing. I've proven it. If my goal was what it actually is to one day be the biggest sports personality in America, then I have a lot more to prove because I'm not there. So the point that I made about Jason Tatum, what more does he have to prove? It's actually a question of what is he trying to prove. If his goal was to be in the conversation as the best Celtic since Larry Bird, then he doesn't have anything left to prove. He is not only in that conversation. It's him or Paul Pierce, and right now he is, to me trending better than Pierce. Piers did win that Finals MVP, but just like this one, it was very close to Pierce never made first team All NBA. Tatum's done it three times. So if Tatum's goal capped out at be a champion, be the best Celtics since Paul Pierce, which you kind of can't do one without the other, then he has nothing left to prove. But if Tatum's goal is what he has stated, to be the best player in the world, or I'll take that down a degree legitimately in the conversation for best player in the world, which he is not currently, then he has a lot more to prove. That's not unfair. That's not moving the goalposts. That is recognizing that the more you achieve unless you have reached satisfaction, so to speak. Like I'll give you an example. I don't think Anthony Davis is trying to prove anything else. I don't think Anthony Davis has a goal. Maybe I'm being unfair and this will probably be clipped as well. I would prefer it not, but I don't think Anthony Davis is like obsessed with I want to be the best player in the world. I think Anthony Davis came to LA to prove I can be a part of a championship team and I can play great basketball in big games when I didn't have that opportunity in New Orleans, and he proved it. And now he is, now what does he have to prove? I think right now he's trying to prove I can stay healthy, and he did that this year. But I don't think he has I don't think Anthony Davis is out there right now being like I'm going to win MVPs. I don't think that. So I think that so in a weird way, I don't think he has more to prove because he's not trying to prove anything else. Tatum is on the record saying I think I can be the best player in the world. If that truly is his goal, then he has more to prove. He's proved a ton already. But now it's that kind of final boss last step. So demon's as a Tatum guy and as a Celtic guy when I explain and feel free to say you think I'm full of s But do you think what I said there a makes sense and be as fair or am I doing what the Internet's accusing me of doing, which is moving the goalposts?
Speaker 3: Well? I do think there is something off.
Speaker 4: I get, Like, I get I get that Luca is on that, but like you're saying that Tatum is not even in the talks of being the best player in the world right now, but like Luca was going to be crowned the best player if he won that finals.
Speaker 3: I get, because like he didn't have help.
Speaker 4: I feel like it still sounds a little weird, but uh, but yeah, I mean I don't I think I think it is fair Tatum does have.
Speaker 3: More to prove.
Speaker 4: He didn't perform in the finals to the level that you will probably I thought he should have.
Speaker 3: I guess thought he would have. But yeah, I don't think it's.
Speaker 2: A It's like so all right, So let me address that in reverse order again that the finals thing, to me is just objective guys who have been to the finals and didn't play their best basketball. Gosh darn. Steph Curry on pre twenty twenty two had to prove he could play his best basketball in the finals. He did. It was the only level left on the video game for him. Could he be the best player on a champion YEP in twenty fifteen. Could he play well in the finals YEP did in twenty eighteen. Really well, I should say there, But in twenty the reason steat that championship in twenty twenty two was so important was not only it was without KD, but it was we were down two one backs against the wall. It was all on me. I dropped forty on Boston one Finals MVP, and yet so he even Steph had something left to prove. Lebron when he left Miami as a four time MVP two time champion, five finals appearances, had something left to prove? Can I win without this the Heatles super Team pat Riley right, So there was something left. Kobe was a three time champion and league MVP and was still trying to prove he could win without Shaquille O'Neill like, and then he did it there there, So that is not my frustration. Is it's not an insult, it's a compliment. If it is a compliment to say you are, you know, a consensus top ten player, you were just the throughout the course of the season, the best player throughout the course of the playoffs, the best or the second best player on the champions and there's still more to do. That's a compliment. Now if it comes with while trying to rip the guy, then it's not. But that's not what I've been doing. The Luca thing is just to me an objective reality of the fact. And I shouldn't say objective reality. I believe, and I think I have a lot of reason to believe that Luca is a better player than Jason Tatum, even though Jason Tatum's team just beat Luca's team. Now, that might be if you wanted to argue the other side of it, I think what you would have needed was in these finals for Tatum to put up Luca's stat line, or at the very least Luca to put up tatum stat line. If Luca in these finals had played really poorly, then it's a and Tatum had played really well, then it's even though it's a team sport, it's a harder argument to make. And so I just I right now, and this is the question that I had right now. To me, it is a pretty clear top three players in the league. Yo Get's, Luca and Yannis. It's not clear how to order those three. That's how I would order them yo Ki's Luca Yannis. But if someone wants say they want Giannis over Luca, it's pretty hard right now to not have Jokis number one. But you can argue about it. That next group. There's Tatum, there's Shay, there's Anthony Edwards. I don't really know what we do with EMBIID. It's like embiid's got MVPs and runner ups and but no good playoff runs and always gets you know, so, uh, I think an honest question and a tough question, is what's more likely that Tatum jumps into that next group, or shae An Aunt jump past Tatum. I think that, like I think that is, I don't know which direction that's going to go.
Speaker 4: I guess think it's less likely because I think Boston is more likely to end up back in the finals.
Speaker 3: I think they'll have that chance. I think that.
Speaker 4: I mean, I guess Boston'd be in the finals against those teams.
Speaker 3: But no, that's fair.
Speaker 4: I think Taylor's gonna have a lot more time to prove himself and beat that extra game level that you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Well, so there is a there is another element, which is as far as not getting complacent but getting the monkey off your back, there is an element of this being the perfect result for Tatum, meaning he no longer has the pressure of can you win with this guy at the highest level, no one can ever make the argument again, Okay, you're capped out, you can't win a championship if he's your best player, because they literally just won the championship, right, But it also has a real legitimate motivating factor to try to get a touch better, which is, I didn't win the finals, MVP, and I didn't play my best basketball in the finals, So maybe they're you know, as far as Tatum's career trajectory, maybe this is the best case scenario where it let's say he had played great in the finals and they won the Tier wins Finals MVP. I don't think he would, but maybe you take your foot off the gas a bit, and if they lose the finals because he plays poorly, maybe that gets in your head and you know it in the next time you're a big moments.
Speaker 4: Also, I want to like, I feel like I've said this before, but at the same time, like we've obviously like this is the finals, I get it, but we've we've seen Tatum put up numbers when it was necessary, like in the times where it was called for. He's he's had fifty points against the Bucks in a game seven, Like he does it when he when he needs to. He never at any point, I don't he didn't need to be thirty five and eight or whatever you want to call it, like it's it's it was Finn. That's sounds part of it, like they'll never really test it.
Speaker 2: So okay, so you make two good points I'm gonna make I'm gonna add one little yeah butt to it. Down three to two to Milwaukee, Yanni's playing out of his mind. Tatum drops forty six points on the road, keep the season alive. They then win the series in seven. That's a real moment, the defending champs on the road, and in that game, Tatum outplayed Giannis. And it wasn't because Gianna's played poorly. The game you're referring to Game seven last year against Philly, Tatum drops fifty points. Right, those things happened. So there's so and those are You could argue that both of those games, because they were elimination games, were in a weird way higher pressure than any of these finals games because that they were in control from start to finish of the series. Right, So that's fair the one. Yeah, but I'm gonna add when people are like, well they he you're asking him to put up numbers when maybe that wasn't you know, what the team needed or what was best for the team, that rings a touch hollow because he did take shots than Yeah, exactly, it wasn't a I'm gonna you know, and so it was he was trying to score. He just his shot was off, you know what I mean, Like the there's just that that is just what it was. And by the way his shot was off. It was weird this whole playoffs. Somebody, uh Second Spectrum stats, they tweeted Second Spectrum didn't tweet it, but somebody tweeted this yesterday that Yannis this year on jumpers was twenty nine point eight percent and Tatum in the playoffs was twenty nine point nine percent. His jumper just wasn't falling, like throughout the playoffs's jumper wasn't falling. It was, and so that might just be a simple thing like, ah, his jumper just wasn't falling. So I think, here is my frustration with the Internet, and this I just I guess I'm chemically unable to do a quick show. I don't know what's wrong with the I think that these are smart, interesting sports conversations, and I'm not acting like I'm not someone that can go out there and give a take as hot as the next guy. But I get frustrated when what I think is a smart, nuanced conversation is being packaged as a hot take. I like a hot take. I think the I think hot takes have been disrespected and unfairly maligned. I think hot takes are great for the sports media culture. Actually not bad, but I don't like I don't like the cross categorization. You know what I mean and where and And I also get frustrated by folks who it's a two minute Twitter clip and they get so angry about it without I'm not asking you to go back and watch the little segment, but so many people clearly are not even watching the clip. They're just seeing the alleged quote from it and responding to it. Okay, well we're thirty minutes in and we've done one topic. Next.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, So in a mediocre NBA draft, there's talks that Bronni could go high to, you know, early to mid first round. Rich Paul came out and staid that Bronni and Lebron are not a package deal, and the Lebron won't take a small max or a small amount of money to play with Bronnie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, won't take miss some won't take them minut him. Yeah, I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: So should at random team just draft Bronnie early and call Bron's bluff.
Speaker 2: I don't so that this was a real thought that I had a couple of years ago that this could happen. If Lebron was like I'm signing with wherever whoever drafts Bronni. But that's not going it is. I think it's clear enough right now that Bronni it is not super important to Bronni that he and bron play together that if a team were to use a first round pick on Bronnie, lebron would just be like, all right, you know what I mean, that's go do it. And I think Rich Paul has made that pretty clear, and so I I don't think that is on the list of realistic outcomes. I do think it makes all of a sudden the second round of this year's draft compelling because it's going the storyline, right or wrong, is going to be about Bronni. Go ahead, ask the follow ups.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, So if the Lakers signed the le Bron's guy jj A and draft his son, wouldn't it be pretty shady for the Goat to leave them?
Speaker 2: All right? So I don't know. Listen, he's a free agent and to do what he wants. Nobody thinks he's leaving the Lakers, even though I hope he leaves the Lakers. What I will tell you is, I Demonse, I love doing this podcast with you, but I would not be happy if they were like, Hey, guess who's the new showrunner of First Things First Nick's podcast partner Demonse, I'd be like, you know what, I don't know if that's the vision we need for this show. I don't know that he is necessarily up to the job. The idea that because Lebron enjoys podcasting with JJ, that he definitively wants JJ to be as head coach. I don't have any evidence of that. I do know that when the Lakers were pursuing Dan Hurley, Lebron reached out to Dan and they were talking. I do know Lebron was all in on the idea of Dan Hurley coaching the Lakers. I shouldn't say all in, but excited about the idea of Dan Hurley coaching the Lakers. And the Lakers front office is gonna do Lakers front office things. All right, Let's talk Bronnie real quick, go.
Speaker 3: Ahead, all right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So the Lakers and the Suns have shown the most interest in Bronnie, and Rich Paul is now saying the Mavericks, Timberwolves, and the Raptors are also in on him. Out of all these teams with ties with Bronnie, which do you think would be the most likely to draft him. Which do you think will be the best landing spot for his development, and which would you think will be the most fun.
Speaker 2: I think the most fun would be the maps. I think that would be the most fun because I think it would be really cool to see. And again, Bronnie's gonna be a second round pick that's probably gonna spend most of the year in the G League, right, But I think it would be really cool and a nice kind of final chapter to Kyrie getting to do the mentorship teach you how to win stuff for Bronni that lebron tried to do for Kyrie that Kyrie pushed back against at the end, because I think Kyrie, I want to say something about Kyrie here. I know it's supposed to be about Bronni. Listen, He's probably gonna go to the Lakers at fifty five. It just seems like that's what's gonna happen. And I don't think he is yet a good enough prospect to where we should spend a ton of time talking about the best thing for his development. He is a wildly impressive young man. As someone who has a daughter his exact age, he is the way he has handled all of this, this level of fame, this level of money, and I don't just mean his dad's money, I mean now his own money, because he's got the Caleb Williams level in il deal at you, like, his own money as an adult that he can do anything with. Like, I don't think it is demons. You're gonna laugh here and you're gonna say I'm being unfair. I don't think it is ridiculous to say he has, in three months out of college, shown more maturity than I've seen from LaMelo Ball at any moment of his career. Like I am the I knew you so right, I knew you were gonna say that. I just can't. I can't watch any more of these videos Lamello peeling. Somebody tweeted once LaMelo acts like a twelve year old who got one hundred million dollars, and it's like, yeah, that's exactly right. You guy's got a go karts on his roof. He's got every like every car you would see. I think Lamello picked his vehicles by the cars that are available in Grand Theft Auto. It's like, oh that one, I want that one, and then that one and then that one. So again, maybe I'm being unfair, just I think I am impressed by Bronnie the young man. And I also think that we people need to remember when you look at his college stats, that the guy had cardiac arrest and wasn't able to train for months, and then the whole thing was thrown off. And so I think he's better than his college stats suggest, but it does. But he's six to two. So that's the biggest concern I have with Bronnie is his height. And so, but to go back to the Kyrie thing, I was trying to say, and then we're not going to do the quarterback contracts thing because I just don't know how to stay on the time when Kyrie was playing great basketball a large part and you'll like this, de Monsa, because you all always thought I was too hard on Kyrie. When Kyrie was playing really good basketball, maybe not great, but really good basketball. When he was with Brooklyn, a large part of the conversation around him was negative, non basketball related right that the off the court stuff, no matter how well he played, the off the court stuff pulled down the discussion around him. I believe fairly some people believe unfairly but it is what it is. What is only fair is if that can work in the other direction as well. Kyrie just had a really rough finals, and the off the court stuff was so mature and so self aware and showed a real leadership that it should pull up the conversation a bit as well. If when he was playing excellent, the off the court nonsense could pull down how we looked at him. Then when he's when he struggled in the finals, which he just did. He had one excellent game, one okay game in three really tough games, but he handled it all. And if some of the quotes, if you read them about what he was saying about Boston during the series, they read weird. But if you watched the press conference, it was so thoughtful and mature and all of it. Credit must be given. And so to a point to where now I the reason I'm saying Dallas for Bronni is because I think Kyrie would be a cool, you know, uncle figure with Bronni is like, hey, here's how to go about it, Like, you know, don't have your dad telling you what to do, but have a guy you've known since you were a little kid, who Now, I think that would be to me, that would be the coolest thing. And obviously Nico Harrison, who runs the team, has a great relationship with the family. All Right, I we do not have a show on two day because I'm gonna be in Vegas for the World Series of Poker. We discuss that and play Nick Stramas next. What's Right? All right, welcome back in What's Right with Nick? Right real quick, before we get to the poker stuff. I've talked a lot about how I think. Have I talked to Monday on this pod about the Twitter monetization and the money you get I think the bit yes, okay, that's what I thought. So that has created a lot of oh yeah, because we talked about the fake videos of like look this racist ash on an airplane and it's like those are bad. Those are literally just that's a skit, and the yeah, like right exactly. There is a harmless version of that same grift, and that is is the anonymous football and basketball aggregator accounts who put out intentionally awful takes just to get dunked on for the interaction so mL for underscore mL Football, which has, let me check, two hundred thousand followers. Okay, that's fine. I don't care. Just tweeted this out all Caps Hall of Famer vikings dB. Harrison Smith is one of the greatest safeties of all time and a surefire Hall of Famer. And it's just a totally intentionally wrong take, so people will dunk on it to make money. It is such a harmless grift. Now it does make the Twitter less usable because so many people are onto the same grift. But and again, Harrison Smith is a good player and has been a good player for a long time. No, I won't, I I not if you know, I just can't.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean there is or anything like that.
Speaker 2: No, I understand you don't mean like actually harming society. But if you if you just started tweeting the worst takes, there has to be a picture associated with it. For the algorithm. The thing people love more than anything on these is to pick a mediocre player who's hitting free agency and call it a sweepstakes, just so that people dunk on it. That nobody loves the oh Man the Winyon Gabriel sweep Steaks starts July one at midnight, and people are like, oh, this guy gets on sweepstakes. Uh. The and so I I just this is It's not the worst thing Elon Musk has ever done, but it's it's on the first page of them, just him incentivizing people to use Twitter for the dumbest takes possible because they want to get dunked on uh, and then also monetizing like I didn't even totally follow it, but that I don't know that. I guess kind of cute white girl that was cooking and said the N word and then all of a sudden is just now doing like first person videos like hey, let me tell you what's wrong with liberals. I mean, no, she exactly, she doesn't. She doesn't have it. Lady, you don't have the juice. You think you have the juice. You don't have the juice. And but she's like, oh, I just made three hundred bucks, let me post another one from my CRV. It's like, lady, get out of here. I know, I know a Southern sorority racist died in the wall when I see one, and you're not her. You might be friends with them, but you don't have it. You're you're you don't have it coursing through your veins the way you need. But she thinks she's gonna I think she thinks she's gonna get a job. Uh you know, it's like Whitlock's co host or something like. She is really trying to I just made that up. The I mean, I think she thinks it's gonna be a career and instead it's just going to be oh you remember that girl and briefly like But so it's all right, it's all fruit of the same poisonous tree. All right, let's talk poker, go ahead.
Speaker 4: All right, So you are heading back to the World Series of Poker next week, So that means that we won't have a pod and you'll get to.
Speaker 3: Play a poker.
Speaker 4: So, without giving away too much of your strategy, what is what's your playing for this time?
Speaker 3: Are you going to do anything differently?
Speaker 2: Well, so I'm gonna play. So I fly to Vegas Friday night, Friday, Saturday, Sunday. There are three day ones of the Millionaire Maker Tournament. It's fifteen hundred dollars buy in. You can buy in a second time if you bust out on any individual flight of day one, and then Day two is Monday three, Tuesday four, Wednesday. It would be a very long tournament. If I were at a final table at that's Thursday, in which case I'm not doing the pod and I'm not doing the TV show. But that means I've already locked up like a couple hundred thousand dollars. If I make the final table of this, what will be a massive, like probably five six thousand person tournament. So that'd be one of those good problems. So I have a pretty I don't have like a unique strategy. It's a tournament poker is different than cash game poker. But what I will say is, like I think most people, the unique thing about tournaments where there's multiple day ones and there's a rebuy is if you have the money to afford multiple entries, you're incentivized to play very aggressive on your first buy in of the day because if you bust out, you can buy in again, and if you don't, then you can create a big chip stack and kind of leverage people. I So here is what I think I'm going to do and the reason I want. And then if I don't do well on Saturday and Sunday of that, there's another tournament. There's a three thousand dollars no limit tournament that I might play on one or I might do what I really want to do, which I think there's a twenty five hundred dollars mixed game tournament where it's a round of Omaha eight or better and stud eight or better, and it'll be me and a bunch of old guys, mostly old guys because that's more old people play those games. But I love that game. I play that. There's that exact game exists at parks and right outside Philly, and I play it. So I'm gonna do that. I have a set goal that I want to play craft with my buddy Nick Shulman. I also probably will see how muth he just came in fourth. He should have won this tournament. He should have got Embracelet eighteen. The other day he came in fourth. I was up till two in the morning while sweating him. And I also should hopefully be a part, if you're a poker Go subscriber, be a part of some of the broadcasts of one of the tournaments when I'm not playing. It also demands a is getting to Vegas on Friday night and planning to leave on Wednesday is too long in Vegas. Objectively speaking, it's too long to be in Vegas. And so I am, I am going to have to I. When I let me, I'll tell you something funny that you'll laugh about. Your mom is gonna join me, okay, and the maybe I shouldn't say in a surprise to no one, as is your auntie Nicole. Just they were just a package deal and so, uh, but I didn't know that initially. Okay. I thought I was gonna be out there alone for five days. But Joe Black uh is out there all World Series playing in these tournaments. And so when Joe had been trying to get me to come out to play in some tournaments, and I looked at the TV schedule and I was like, oh, if there's not game seven of the finals were off TV Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday because the Euros are on FS one one.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: I was like, I could come out and I think your mom was coming. He's like, all right, perfect. I was like, I this is so embarrassing, but it's true. I said to Joe. I was like, all right, if I go, I was like, you're I want you to hold my money and He's like, huh, I'm like, if I go and I'm by myself, I want you to hold on to my money, and he's like, what are you talking about? I was like, man, life's about knowing your strengths and weaknesses. And me alone in the area for five days is not a recipe for financial success. I need to have the added barrier of embarrassment.
Speaker 3: Of buddy, you need more money.
Speaker 2: What do you?
Speaker 3: What do you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What do you?
Speaker 2: What do you? Exactly right? I need the added the the the, because I don't. Here's the thing. I I don't gamble. I want to say this bell sound like a jerk, but I just be honest. I gamble. I don't gamble big enough dollars for it to be like problematic given the amount of dollars I have access to. Okay, but I do gamble. You know, a few thousand dollars here and there, right, But I'm not one of those people. There are people who make the exact amount of money I make that are playing ten thousand dollars hands of blackjack, and that can get I don't that can get away from you real fast, Like even if you have you know, I can't get away from you real fast to where you're in. Like all of a sudden, I took out a marker from the Aria for eighty thousand dollars that I owe the like. That's I don't care how much money you have. That's that can be a problem. I don't gamble like that, but I do gamble in a way that it's in play that whatever I had mentally budgeted for these five days could be gone in the first five hours. If I don't have some guardrails, I can tilt it off in either direction. So your mom has always been the guardrails for me since we've been together. But when I thought she wasn't coming, I had to ask my buddy if he would be willing to hold my money. I don't think he was comfortable with it, and I was like, pal, you just have to happen. I don't think he loved the idea of it. All right, I'll keep everyone updated on social media how I'm doing. And if you're a Poker Go subscriber, you should be able to hear me on some of the broadcasts. All right, let's do the game.
Speaker 4: All right, it's time for Nixtra Damis. I think we're probably gonna have some music that's gonna kick in here in a second. Oh beautiful, Oh wise, Nixtra Damis the common folk are starting to doubt your prophetic powers after you predicted a MAVs title by them that you were the soussayer sport and sway the non believers with that graphic. Your astronomy talents have been compared to Galileo. Uh, Galileo, Galileo, he was nearly Galileo. Yeah, he was burned at the steak, and you have burning hot jokes. Yeah, nearly nearly burned at the steak. All right, you're an expert at you're an expert at tracking star movement in the NBA off scene is here, Nick stredamis which star will be it will shift in the NBA skuys Jesus Christ, that's hard, Jesus.
Speaker 2: There's a long one. That's all right.
Speaker 3: I read it like fifteen times.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know, that's okay. So the Calves in the heat both have two stars ish, neither of whom I think. I think both teams the stars don't want to be together anymore so. Donovan Mitchell or Darius Garland one of them is on the move, I think, and Trey Young or de Jonte Murray one of them is on the move. I think both of those duos are getting split up this offseason. That's what I think, and I just so, I'm not sure which, but I think both of those teams one of those guys is on the move.
Speaker 4: Next, the ancient calendars dictate the NBA drafts first round will have occurred by our next show. There is no clear star in the class, or is there? Nick sha Damis, look into the cosmos and find me one real star.
Speaker 2: I don't listen. I don't think there's a star. I don't. I can't do that, but I like, I know that people like Reed Shepherd, the Kentucky kid. His height scares me. He's an unbelievable shooter and unbelievable shooter, but he's six to one, so that worries me. I like Dalton Connect and almost as good shooter, the kid from Tennis, but he's six ' five. So I don't think you're gonna get you know, you might get a random, you know, foreign star in this draft, but this is not a top heavy draft at all. But I think Dalton Connect could be a rotation player on an excellent team.
Speaker 4: Next, the tea leaves are saying that NBA coach and noted film critic Joe Missoula has gone from the hot seat to extension talks, but not so fast. Let's not forget the championship. Coaches don't last. Just ask Frank Vogel Bud and Nick Nurse, Nick Sha Damis well, extending Joe Mizzoula proved to be a mistake.
Speaker 2: No, it won't be. I gotta give him credit. Man, his team loves him. They were so dialed in defensively, and as often happens in sports, all your idiosyncrasies and out of these become charming when you win. So now all the weirdness about him is just like, oh, that's what makes him great. And so no, I give the guy credit. I was a critic of his I was skeptic of his. The that team was connected, dialed in great, defensively, took smart shots. So no, I think he's a good coach. I was wrong on Joe Missoula, and so I give him a lot of credit, A lot of credit.
Speaker 4: All right, next, h nick Ster Damas, our show is abided by one immutable law, no baseball. But some have observed hearsay in your recent interest in Kansas City Royals. Uh, Knickster Damas, will Dick right uphold his own rules.
Speaker 2: Well, the Royals are making it easier for me. Lose too straight to the damn Oakland A's. What are you doing? I get it. You lose the series to the Yankees. Fine, you lose the series to the Dodgers. Whatever, You're playing the two best teams in baseball. You lose too straight to the Oakland A's. They need to get it together. I'm very disappointed in the royals last two games, last one.
Speaker 4: The next time we meet, the Stanley Cup Final will be settled. At the start of the championship. I correctly named one team, netting me half of the reward money. Uh, Nick, sure, damas, When will Nick Wright send me my fifty bucks?
Speaker 3: How'd you guys know you didn't send it?
Speaker 2: I mean they were right, though they actually were right that I didn't send it. Uh, they're correct. I forgot to do that.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: What I should do is just overnight you those same exact five ten dollars bills you sent me. That's what I should do. That's that's what I should do. But I would I wouldn't. You're right, I do know. I'm being serious?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: We have demanse, we have an unbelievable f one minute, And by unbelievable, I mean it. My goddaughter Cec might take after me a bit in the inability to stay on the clock. Because the f one minute this week I think might be five minutes. So we have that. Oh and sorry, I know you guys. There was one other hockey question.
Speaker 4: Sorry, so did you did you catch that save by Matthew Kuldchuck and the uh yeah that did you?
Speaker 3: Did you see any of that yesterday?
Speaker 2: I did. I actually was watching that game at a poker game. I was at a poker game Tuesday and the and the hockey game was on, and I did see that. What was unbelievable about this save was then they immediately scored anyway, but it was a hell of a job. And Matthew kuld Chuck, I actually I have a little familiarity with him because when I was a kid. His dad, I hope it's his dad. Keith Kuldchuck was a big time hockey player. Someone who knows hockey, tell me is Matthew kuld Chuck and Keith Kachuck related? I have to think they are all right? The F one minute next? What's right? Get the Pulitzer prize? Ready? Oh? My goodness, Tom Haverstrow, Yeahoo's sports a six thousand word opus with first hand video evidence of something we've all always suspected. But Tom has blown the lid off it. Michael Jordan's nineteen eighty eight Defensive Player of the Year award fougayse fraudulent inflated stats. How about this from Haverstraw and Yeah who sports just dropped? So Michael Jordan recorded the largest home road splits in Defensive Player of the Year history. So what does that mean? So Michael Jordan that year that he was chasing the Defensive Player of the Year award on the road when there was seemingly, you know, a neutral scorekeeper, he averaged three steals and blocks a game or per thirty six minute stocks. But at home those numbers jumped to five and a half. Now was he just better at home than on the road? Is that common? I don't know. It's a difference of one hundred and eighty two percent. Say it again to Monse.
Speaker 3: How many asstoks was he getting?
Speaker 2: Oh? I don't know how many asstocs. But his just defensive Player of the Year, So it's just the stocks, just steals and blocks. Tom Aberstrow got full game footage. How about this full game footage where he could watch and track every single play of six Jordan home games in nineteen eighty eight the game film. In those six games, Michael Jordan had twelve steals the home box score did he have? How many extra steals could they have given him? Two? Three? He had twelve the box score twenty eight. There was a game where they credited Michael Jordan with more steals than the other team had turnovers. Hmmm, hmmm. Might put a little different hue on the old goat conversation. Everyone should read it. It just drops at his sports pulat or Tom Haberstrow. This this is, this is really you know what I call this real journalism? What a legend Haberstrow is. I haven't read it, but you know, you might say, Nick, if you haven't read it and it just dropped a few minutes ago, how do you have all this this info? I might have been aware that something like this was coming. I might have been behind the scenes consulting on the project. I don't know. I'm just here for a fair and accurate reading of NBA history. That's all I want. That's all I've ever wanted. All right, so demands Sierra. Well, you'll see it our F one respond it. She is now official because she has gear, she has a real camera and Mike set up the whole nine, and I think because of that, she was very excited about the F one minute this week. So the F one minute is an F one segment. Let's go ahead and hit it. Let's go to Sierra.
Speaker 5: Indeed from the one is back, which means your host of the F one minute, Ci Fidel is back as well. But before we get into that, can we appreciate the shirt? Can we also appreciate the hat? But most importantly, can we appreciate the fact that I miked up shout out to everyone who bullied nick in to buy me a microphone? We have officially made it, but I'll just aside. We are kicking off the tenth round of the Spoon twenty four from the One season in Barcelona, Spain. Just give a little background of the circuit. The first from the One race was actually held here in nineteen ninety one. However, there's a really rich history surrounding racing in this area, so the first race was actually in nineteen thirteen, which is pretty impressive. We had a nasty crash between Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg in twenty sixteen for Max firstapping. This led to his first victory in his Formula One career. We have some other victories one of Fernado Alonzo, pretty emotional ones in twenty six and twenty thirteen. Considering this is his home race as well as Nick's favorite Carlos Science is also his home race as well. Some more important information that you guys might need to know coming into the twenty twenty four Spanish Grand Prix is that big teams, well pretty much the Entigrid, but big teams like Red Bull, Mercedes, McLaren and Ferrari are all bringing forth significant updates to the car. I know Red Bull has mentioned their suspension problem, you know, the fact that they're hitting those curves on the track super aggressively is causing problems for them. I know Ferrari has mentioned the fact that they would like to become more competitive in the slow speed areas on the track. Mercedes actually just updated their front wing in Montreal, which is amazing for them, and now they're looking to upgrade the floor of the car. Just different updates that could make big changes or could not. We just don't know yet. A couple of teams that were really looking out for one being Ferrari Iin the fact that they had such a terrible weekend in Montreal. The Ferrari haters are wishing or hoping that it's kind of a deep rooted issue that they have in their car that causes more issues down the road, But in reality, it was probably just a bad off. It was just off weekend for them. But that's why we're kind of watching to see if this is like a bigger problem or if they can bounce back super quickly. Another team that we're watching is Mercedes. They've been riding this wave of optimism off of the Montreal weekend. We just want to see if these high level accomplishments can be maintained. Basically, you want to see if they can make it to the podium.
Speaker 2: Maybe.
Speaker 5: I don't know, we'll see, but that's why we're watching those teams. As far as my predictions go, One, it's gonna be Max first happens week whoa who would guess Maxi Stappens. Two I'm Lando, I'm gonna go Lando. Three I'm this may be wishful thinking may not, but just the fact that it's his home race, I would just like him to see him on the podium. So I'm gonna go Carlo signs yeah, and then for I'm gonna go Louis Hamilton. I have faith. I have faith in the Mercedes, I have faith in their updates, I have faith in the drivers and closing. This weekend actually kicks off the tripleheader, which basically means we have Barcelona, Austria and then the British Grand Prix happening back to back to back, so we'll be pretty busy the next three weeks. But will Mercedes initiate a revival for this team? Does Ferrari have actual problems or will they just bounce back on the podium like nothing ever happened. Well, we'll see tune in for the race this weekend so that next week we have a lot to talk about. But this has been your f one minute and I'll see you next week.
Speaker 2: Man. So here's the deal that is, I'm still hearing Sierra. There we go. Uh, you know, look good, play good type of thing. I think the uniform instilled CC with some real confidence. That was great. That was her best.
Speaker 3: And she still called at the end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she didn't call the f one minute. That's fine. Listen, we I today's show is gonna be super fast because we know we've gone an hour and ten minutes. Let's get to some questions quickly.
Speaker 4: Producers asked bass basketball season is over, and with only baseball left to watch, it's time to look elsewhere for entertainment. Are you Are you interested in any of the big summer TV shows coming out?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so House of the Dragon, Yes, the Bear. Yes. I don't know what the Boys is. I've never seen it like this. I don't know what the acolyte. Oh really, I don't know what the acolyte. That sounds like something I might be interested in. And Love Island absolutely not. I don't. I'm not a I'm not trying to act like I'm too good for it. But I don't watch reality TV. I again, it sounded condescending. I don't care if you do. I don't judge you. It's just not my it's just not my cup of tea, so to speak. But House of the Dragon, I'm already watching. In the Bear, I'm super excited for Go.
Speaker 4: Ahead, Curtis Matthews, Love the Thursday Day show. I wonder what's in store for the podcast during the summer. I'm here for it all year round. This is my number one podcast show. Thanks dude, Well.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that, to be honest. What's in store over the next month is we are gonna you know, I'm gonna miss some time next week for to go to Vegas. Uh, we're not gonna do a show on the fourth of July. We then have a family vacation, so it's gonna be more intermittent in July. But then starting in August then so we're not gonna be off the air entirely, but we're gonna be, you know, have some downtime and that in August, we have one week off, but the rest were rolling and then it's football again and we're just rolling. So we'll try to do more kind of creative fun things, but it won't be quite as regular as a schedule as we normally have.
Speaker 4: All right, next, He also asked last show I mentioned should the Lakers trade for money Williams? Now that he's available, what should the Lakers do? Is he a better option than JJ Reddick.
Speaker 2: Well, he's certainly more you know, season of a coach, he's been to the finals. I don't think they're gonna. I don't think they're gonna.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: I guess maybe they don't have to pay money a lot because he's getting all that money from Detroit. But Monny might want to take some time off, all right.
Speaker 4: Next, Scott Murphy said, now that Horford finally won a ring, who is most likely to win one next year?
Speaker 3: Harden or not?
Speaker 4: Next year? Next Harden? CP three Westbrook, Jimmy Butler, Jay Crowder, Paul George all have plus one hundred and fourteen plus career playoff games.
Speaker 2: I mean shout out to Jay Crowder for making that list. I Paul George because he Paul George because he might change teams like Paul George if he were to go to Philly, I think they would be a real viable contender. Let's go to the last one. Noah Rodriguez Demanse.
Speaker 3: No what Roriguez said?
Speaker 4: Nick, I'm getting married today, obviously I had to start off my big day with some what's right? Do you have any wedding day advice for me? H? And do you have any tips.
Speaker 3: For married men who are addicted to sports?
Speaker 2: Well, let me just give wedding day advice. First, we can maybe do you know tips for you know how to watch sports and keep the family life together. Another time, wedding day advice is this, and it's sincere real advice. If you drink, pace yourself significantly on the alcohol. Not because you're necessarily gonna act a fool, but you don't. You want to vividly remember the evening and you have a few beers with your buddies, you know, as everyone's getting dressed. Then after the ceremony there's a cocktail hour, then all of us you do, there's toast, this, there's all that. You don't want to be legit drunk at the end of the night. And then it's like wait, not because yes, you could embarrass yourself or something, but you want to be able to remember those moments. And the other thing that I would say is take do My biggest piece of wedding advice is for the people getting married. Everyone that is there for you, and anyone there that makes their own wants, needs, priorities, hurt feelings, anything like raise to the level of where you hear about it. That's not only not on you that make a little mental note of who those people would be because those people aren't there for you when they need to be like that, you should not have to worry about ah man, this person's upset about where they're sitting. That's not your job on your wedding day. Your job is to be in the moment. Take a few mental snapshots, drink water along with the alcohol, and make sure you know what I mean that. Try to have your best man or groomsmen on alert for any problems that could arise so they don't get to you, and certainly so they don't get to your wife. And make sure your other than your wife. The only person you need to make sure is all good is your wife's mother. You handle those things, You'll have a great time. Deman's a great job. Today is a hell of a pod. Appreciate everyone listening. I'll keep everyone posted on the World Series of Poker over the weekend, and I'll see you guys on TV in a few hours. What's right? Hey, thanks for watching. If you're still here, do me a favor. Hit the subscribe button, then hit the bell so you can be notified when we have new episodes. After you've done that, one more favor, go to your favorite audio platform of choice and subscribe there as well. Don't forget. We're live every Tuesday and Thursday ten thirty am Eastern Ish ten thirty five, ten forty. It sometimes changes, but that's why you hit the bell. You hit the bell so you're notified. You subscribe so we can get to two hundred thousand followers. We're right around one hundred and fifty thousand. To get to two hundred thousand, get demands another plaque, so like, subscribe rate, send a rating to do all that cool stuff. Thanks guys,