Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: We begin this out with stocks adding to gains to kick off the first full week of the first quarter. The third quarter, Mike Wilson and Walk and Stanley writing falling down into prices, peaking, tariff inflation and contained services keep the Fed on hold rather than hiking this year. Lower real rates should support equities and further fuel the broadening trade. On police to say that, Mike joins us around the table. For the next hour. He joins us for more. Mike, good morning, good to see you.
Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 2: Let's just start with the stability we're seeing in the rates market and how important that is to set the stage for what you're anticipating in the next few months.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think you were saying it earlier as listening to the show. I mean, there's somebody expecting a hike, there someone expecting.
Speaker 1: A cut, and we're on hold.
Speaker 3: And this is I think what we've got to get used to is that with the new chair probably not giving as much guidance, is going to allow the market to kind of figure it out on its own and have these different different views. We're in that adjustment period now, and I think That's one of the reason why the market's been a little choppy or even correcting in the last month or so, is we're getting used to this new regime, which is going to be higher volatility and potentially the bond market. But over time, I think what's going to end up happening is the market's going to settle down. It's going to it's actually more estimates. A wider dispersion of estimates actually least to the lower volatility in the pricing over time. But we're in that adjustment period, so we think rates are lower ultimately, particularly.
Speaker 1: At the back end.
Speaker 3: And by the way, we've talked about this on the show many times. New Treasury secretary, you know, new Fed chair, this kind of new Fed Treasury accord to really anchor the back end. That's what they're focused on. You got to get the back end down or at least anchored, because you have so much debt to shift to basically finance.
Speaker 2: Do you think in the meantime we're confusing a reduction and guidance with an increase in hawkishness in the meantime.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's right, and then market is pricing that now, So that's the good news is that we've already had that adjustment, and that adjustment started four months ago.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: This is why precious metals have traded really poorly. You know, the day that worsh was announced as a nominee, the gold market peaked and that that was a sign the dollar has been stronger. So once again the market has really gotten ahead of this.
Speaker 2: So rates of recent we come down from around four point suo percent to four point one. There's a belief this morning at least we've removed the urgency to hike as soon as July, so we can put that story to bed. Cruise the climb massive recent crewed from triple ditchits down to the sixties on wti's Does that open the door within the equity market and let's talk about the stock market exclusively. Does that open the door to the broadening trade again?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's our call. Basically is that that was happening at the beginning of the year. Then we had Venezuela and then I ran. By the way, the market priced Iran before the invasion even happened or the attacks happened, because because once again it was pretty well signaled, and so that's when the broadening trade stopped. The broading trade literally stopped the day that the attacks happened, and we had the big spike in oil and then the pricing of the FED to high rates. Since I say mid May, which is when we reiterated the Briney call, we had a different view the most we thought ore prices would come down, and that has allowed now FED pricing to sort of stay wise, and that has allowed the broadening trade to regnite.
Speaker 2: Small caps have performed nicely, just had a massive quarter up by more than twenty percent on the rustle. We've seen the broadening trade. Speak to the performance we've seen in the equal white on the S and P five hundred as well. Let's talk about a MAC seven, which increasingly was called the Lack seven. You've got to know out this morning talking about maybe the money going back into the hyperscatus. Just walk us through how you're thinking about what's happened in tech and that divergence between the big spending companies and the beneficiaries of all that spending, of the diviogence that's really widened in the last few months.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean there's a symbiotic relationship between the spenders and the beneficiaries and typically they trade sort of in lockstep. And a couple of things we've been writing about for the last several months. Number one, capex to sales. That particular factor has been straight up since the Big Beautiful Bill has passed. Right that basically the government's incenting businesses to spend.
Speaker 1: Money today rather than later.
Speaker 3: And so that capex of sales factor has been driving a lot of stocks higher.
Speaker 1: That looks like it's peaking now.
Speaker 3: And by the way, the hyperscaler stocks started to trade poorly about a month and a half ago and into this idea. But that's not sustainable. You can't have the spender stocks trading poorly and the beneficiary stacks continuing to go straight up. And now what we saw last week, you know, Meta announced perhaps they're going to sell some excess capacity, maybe turned into a provider of capacity. That is just a reason for these things to take a break. Also, peak great a change on revision breath, right, the memory stocks, the revisions have been spectacular, but they can only go so high. So all that's kind of happening at the same time, and I expect the hyperscalers now to stabilize. That's what's going on in the last couple of weeks, and the semic counter stocks are going to are going to correct.
Speaker 1: That's a good development.
Speaker 3: That doesn't mean the capeck cycle is over, but that ebbing and flowing between the two is a natural kind of governing factor because you can't have this divergence continue.
Speaker 1: It's unstable.
Speaker 2: Your words take a break. That's interesting. Some people have called it a narrative shift for the overall trade and maybe a shift in spending. Two. Why is it one or not the other?
Speaker 3: Well, we don't know for sure, but we've had three of these already, John, So since chance GPT was announced in November twenty two, we've had three of these sort of mini cycles within the broader structural capex cycle, which is that the market starts to question, oh, the return on capital isn't good enough to support this kind of capex. What happens Then the stocks trade poorly, and then the CEOs of those companies come out and say, well, you know, maybe we won't spend as aggressively, and then it abbs the other way. And so that's that's the story. That's the dance back and forth. Now there is going to be a period there is going to be a time, we don't know when it's going to happen yet, where the CAPEC cycle will exhaust itself, and we will have you know, we've talked about this that there is going to be mal investment here. We don't think that that spending cycle is over because they just start raising the capital and the credit market, so they're going to spend the capital. Okay, So but we can have these mini cycles within in the structurable market of compul.
Speaker 2: I think, as you know, though, forget the spending that's not yet happened, is the intentions that matter. At a deceleration in capex intentions from here, how do you think this market's going to internalize the prospect of that in the coming months.
Speaker 1: Well, it's doing it right now.
Speaker 3: So we talk about it as a peak rate of change or you know, trough rate of change. Second derivative growth, and that's exactly what's going on. There's two things we're focused on. Ernie's revision breath for the semi country stocks themselves are like seventy five percent. That's about as high as it goes. We've documented that, so that's going to roll over. It doesn't mean it goes negative. But the deceleration on that can cause those stocks to correct, and then of course the hyperscalers will benefit if the market perceives these companies as being somewhat capex disciplined, that they're not going to do willy nilly spending in a way where free cash flow goes to zero or negative. And by the way, free cast real expectations for some of those companies.
Speaker 1: Are going towards zero. That's why they've underperformed.
Speaker 3: So it's just stands like I said back and forth, and now in the last week and a half, the hyperscaler, some of the hyperscalar stocks have started to trade better. That's a good sign that we're going to have a little correction. This could last you know, four, six, eight weeks something like that, and then we'll probably have the next upcycle for the semi.
Speaker 2: These are names that we're in bear markets. I'm talking about met To, Microsoft Matter had a better week last week.
Speaker 1: Chips.
Speaker 2: You keep using this word correct. When I hear that, I'm just thinking, what do you mean by that? How much is the downside? How big is the downside for somebody's chip?
Speaker 1: Nips?
Speaker 3: Well, these are hype beta stocks. I mean, they can correct thirty forty percent in a ball market.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: By the way, just look at the tun or day moving average. That's so that's probably a really good gauge. These stocks are so extended relative to those moving averages. That's how you got to think about it. Those moving averages exist for a reason, right, They always return to the moving averages. Does it happen in a violent way or does it happen kind of gradually over time?
Speaker 1: Walked? Await and see?
Speaker 3: But yeah, thirty percent correction in these stocks is I mean, well within possibility.
Speaker 1: In fact, some of them already have corrected. There.
Speaker 2: You can have a thirty percent correction in chips just bear with me here, and you can still see the index move up and to the right on the S and P five hundred even with a massive weight and they have well we didn't say pay that's what I'm.
Speaker 3: But I mean, that's part of our call too, is that we think this rotation is happening in a down tape. Okay, unlike the correction we saw on the precious metal staff in January. Because they're such a small part of the index. Energy stocks had a big correction after having a great run in January and February. Now the market traded off a little bit because of the war itself. But so I agree with what you're saying, or your premise or your question, which is, since these stocks are such a big part of the index, it's going to be really hard for the index to make any upward progress until this rotation has sort of happened.
Speaker 2: This is a summer story for you.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean, we're not bearish on the year end. We're still eight thousand plus per year end, and we've had that call for quite a while based on the earning story. So that earning story is very much intact. In fact, the fact that we're rotating now to some of these other areas almost confirms the thesis we've had all year, which is this is not just a techt story. That's a great story, but the broadening story is the story that I think people have really underestimated the rolling recession from a year ago, this operating lever story, which I think is still very underappreciated.
Speaker 2: Do you think the banks can start working now too?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: They have been I mean, the the money center banks and the capital market spanks related have.
Speaker 2: Been Your stock absolutely Delvin Stock's fantastic. I'm talking about the.
Speaker 3: Others regionals and so they've started to perform, and that's been an area we've been highlighting. Now the yal curve is flattening still or you know, is having trouble kind of resteepening, so I think that group could pause a bit. We took that off of our list of favorites for the for the broadening trade this week, but ultimately between now and year end, we do think the banks are going to do quite well because this is the strategy of the Treasury and the Fed is they want more lending going through the traditional lending sector. So while the your curve is flattening, loan growth is accelerating and that's feeding this whole broadening out story of the economy, right. This is a strategy of the administration. They want a privately driven organic economic expansion and that's what we're getting, notwithstanding that maybe the labor market isn't as robust as some people were hoping, But that's also then feeding the earning story, right because you're seeing revenue growth without a crazy need to hire a bunch of people, and that's the operating liver story.
Speaker 2: One oh one, This market mic has been conditioned just to ignore all of this. This market burned by anyone, of course, anyone who was sure the market at the end of March for the next month or so got burnt really hard. Why should it pay any attention to any of this over the next week?
Speaker 3: Well would I would say, is the market intends to get in front of this stuff. So what I'm trying to figure out is what is it what is it digesting in the next six months. And I am this is one of the reason why I'm looking at that bullish in a short term for the I think we have this kind of low oil prices at this point.
Speaker 1: I mean tink it's down, it's in the market. Yeah, well it means.
Speaker 3: Oil prices are seventy bucks again. So it's going to be hard to really get oil prices below that level, you know, without you know, significant new source of oil or maybe demand being destroyed further, which is probably not a good thing for gross So I think this is another part of the story is that we you know, the market got ahead of this in April and May it said oil price is ry to change and oil prices are peaked. Okay, that the conflict that you know continues to go in between Ukraine and Russia. I mean, like to me, this is sort of back and forth and it's uncertain, But the market, just like tariffs a year ago, the worst, the rate of change, the worst part of it is now behind and markets are always forward thinking. So I'm trying to figure what's going to happen in six months that was happening next week