Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Molly John Fast and this is Fast Politics, where we discussed the top political headlines with some of today's best minds, and Congressman Chuck Edwards has dropped his reelection bid after being censured. We have such a great show for you today. Democracy Docket's own Mark Elias stops by to talk about Trump's lawless plans for the midterms. Then we'll talk to the New York Times own Shamee Goldmocker about how the primaries are shaken out and a little trouble at the DNC. But first the news.
Speaker 2: Smillie, big big night of elections last night. I think there's some pretty interesting things here that will really actually be consequential come both November and the shape of the party here. I'm curious, though. I think the most interesting one is what happened in Kansas. Since you and I have been talking about how much this is going to be an election about data centers, we saw a massive, massive clitical up so lustily.
Speaker 1: Yes, so let's talk about this data centers. Are You and I both know we have traveled this country, or at least I went to Arizona and I'm planning to go to New Orleans. So I've been to places and people are not happy with data centers. And you know why they're not happy with them because they're terrible. They use water, they use electricity, they make noise, they're huge, they don't employ that many people. Voters hate them, and they make your electricity more expensive. I mean, there's literally no case for data centers. And the woman who ran for the Democratic nomination of the Kansas governor, and I want to add that, you know, you think Kansas is a red state, but the governor they have now is also a Democrat. So having a Democratic governor in Kansas is not unheard of. In fact, it may repeat. But this woman is called Cindy Holscher, and she is a state senator, and she is endorsed by the current Democratic governor, Laura Kelly. So data centers are an eighty twenty issue and really really just the pine of thing. Democrats can win on data centers.
Speaker 2: Well, I think last night showed that they can win on saying we're going to put money back into your community and not send it to farm wares. One of the lessons of this primary, though, is I think better care for all is one and the same with we're going to put the money back. Intor cree. It's that we're not sending your money to you getting denied care that you should get just so that there could be higher corporate board earnings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, exactly.
Speaker 2: So, speaking of the other big shakeup truth outed, our long time US congressman lost their seat, and of course doctor abdel l said won the Michigan setup by much less than we expected, but did have a victory that I think is going to really shake things up. He's already said he will not support Chuck Schumer as majority leader and will support Chris van Holland. And he seems very contrary to what some people say, he seems very very well suited to beat Mike Rogers in the general since Mike Rogers ran nine hundred thousand votes behind Donald Trump in the last election.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm more anxious about doctor l sayid, because I think that it's just a hard road. But there is a question of, like, you know, whether running a center's candidate is in a swing state works better than running a progressive in a swing state, Like that's a real question is like do you lose crossover voters if you do that? And do you suppress your left base, because the reality is like in Michigan in twenty sixteen, Bernie one, right, so that is a real thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I should correct myself. I'm sorry Rogers ran one hundred and twenty two thousand votes behind. But to your point with Bernie one, Abdul has a very interesting thing where he's talked about the trend in Michigan has been to vote for somebody who will do change. And one of the reasons that many people have observed that Kamala didn't do as well in Michigan as people would have thought is that on the ground there, they thought it was gonna be a continuation of Biden, and they had grown very, very very tired of Biden's policies in Michigan. Yeah, but it seems that also they did not buy rogers bullshit by a much bigger margin than they did buy Trump's bullshit. And I don't think that that's gotten any better, as he's just sold himself to whoever will pay for him, which is he's done throughout his career and helped cause the opioid crisis.
Speaker 1: Yes, he was very involved in pharmaceutical companies, et cetera. So let's talk about this. I'm sure we'll talk about Michigan endlessly, and it's his sendency. The Democrats that desperately need to hold publicans are in so much trouble here. And one of the things that I saw last night, which I would actually like to read you, Amy Walter from the Cook Political Report, very smart. She says, if you went through the two thousand and six cycle, this year feels like deja vu. In two thousand and six, at this point, w Bush had thirty seven percent approval rating. Trump is about there. The generic ballot in September of six was a D plus six point five. That's about the same, though it might be what in both yours unpopular WARS members in sex scandals. So I just think it's a good that's a real thing. And speak of sex scandals, we have it's not a sex scandal, but it's many times Wars. These abuse allegations against Max Miller.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not good. Apparently he's saying Mike Johnson has his back.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Max Miller, member of Congress from Ohio, married the order of the Senator from Ohio called Bernie Moreno, they're getting divorced. There are allegations he abused tour. There are allegations he broke the two year old daughter's collarbone. Yesterday, he was on all of the different news stations. He talked to Tapper, he went on Newsmax. He said that his daughter couldn't speak a sentence. Then he said that his daughter said he was scared of the mother. There was a lot of contradicting each other. There was a question of why he had needles. He said he takes testonstone. It was a really good example of why when you're defending yourself, you're losing. And he also said during this time that Mike Johnson had his back. Well, Mike Johnson, well not brave, does not necessarily have Max Miller's back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that that's the thing is this is the albatross hanging on their neck for this cycle. Everybody's going to tie the Republican's refusal to have him step down.
Speaker 1: To this and tomorrow is the deadline. So if he doesn't drop out by tomorrow, he cannot be replaced on the ballot.
Speaker 2: Yep. And it's already looking like they're going to lose that seat pretty badly if he stays it. I think I saw fourteen points behind. He's running so well deserved. Also, it's dragging down Bernie Marino in this Miller insinuated yesterday what has been reported and George Santos said on the congressional four before, which is Marino as a closeted homosexual.
Speaker 1: Wait, when he was still in Congress.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, keep in mind, he said in the halls of Congress in an interview. I watched it yesterday.
Speaker 1: I mean again, George Santos, I want to talk about George Santos. He's not in Congress. He is the bravo congressman from the state of dismay and despair.
Speaker 2: Molly, you know you're getting out the shirt for your birthday, that says George Santos warned us.
Speaker 1: I'm not talking about this anymore. Speaking of things that people don't want to talk about, Let's talk about Donald Trump's Great American Fair sponsors.
Speaker 2: Great American State Fair sponsors. He hid millions of donations for of Yes, I want.
Speaker 1: To point out that this summer we celebrated the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of America. And what did we get for that, Well, Donald Trump got a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you'll be shocked. To hear that every time there's something that he can find a way to smuggle some money in, he takes the opportunity.
Speaker 1: I just want to talk about the companies involved, because it's like a who's who of everyone who's bad. Palent Here, Bowen Excellent Mobile, perhaps you remember them from Killing our Planet, United Healthcare Group, and more defense contractors Lockheed Martin, ge Aerospace. What I think is the most important part here, and this is reporting from notice, is that a lot of people did not disclose the money they gave, which is a violation of the Federal Lobbying Disclosure Act. And I know you're surprised to hear that people were doing illegal stuff in the Trump White House, but they were. So there's influenced. At best, it's influence trading. Ed worst, it's bribery. And here it is the question of freedom to fifty. The answer is it was bribery. Mark Elias is the founder of Democracy Docket. Welcome, Welcome, Mark.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Let mether.
Speaker 3: Whether it's terribly oppressive.
Speaker 1: Yes, how do you think? So let's talk about the midterms, where we just are cruising into the midterms. There's so much anxiety, like Donald Trump is clearly worried about the midterms, which is why he wants always to say to pass the Save Act because he's worried that too many people will vote. I saw these Michigan numbers from last night. Republican primary voters are like very at a low ebb in Michigan. Like, what is Donald Trump's plan for the midterms?
Speaker 3: So first of all, we are ninety days from the mid elections, so this is a critical date for reasons that we can get into legally, it will become harder for Donald Trump to pull off what he's trying to pull off. But I think if you, if you want to know, like what the macro plan is, Donald Trump is not doing the things a president would do if they thought they could improve their popularity. He's not doing the things that you would do even if you didn't think you could improve your popularity, but you were trying to motivate your own base voters. So I think it's pretty clear what he is doing is he is putting all of his eggs in the voter suppression and election subversion basket, which is why, rather than prioritizing legislation that might, for example, you know, improve his popularity, or even be a sugar rush, like a tax cut, right, something like that. Right, he is prioritizing things like the Same Act because he's figured out that they're that the voters have figured the voters know who he is, you know what I mean. Like, I was thinking about this the other day, Molly, because I was talking to our mutual friend Nicole Wallace, and like, there got to be a point, like in two thousand and six, or people had just figured out who George Bush was and they weren't going to move off of them. And I think, like that's where Donald Trump is. So he has figured out that his only effort, his only chance, is to try to make it harder for people to vote, an easier for him to cheat.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about that, because I think that is so important. Harder to vote, easier to cheat. What's he doing to make it harder to vote? So the harder the vote.
Speaker 3: Portion of the program has a few components. The first is obviously him trying to enact the Save Act. Right, the Save Act would make it dramatically harder for certain voters to vote, and in particular, it would impact black voters who have lower rates of passport ownership. Than white voters. Right, So proving citizenship just for people to keep in mind, only two documents do that number. One is a US passport, the other is an original burst certificate. So black voters would be negatively impacted on passports. Married women would be negatively impacted on birth certificates because seventy percent of married women have changed their last name at marriage, and so there is a mismatch between that birth certificate surname and the surname they currently have. So a birth certificate alone won't actually prove citizenship for the vast majority of women who are married. And before people say, yeah, but isn't it mostly Republican women. Don't more Republican women change their last name than Democratic married women. The answer is probably, But the truth is seventy percent of.
Speaker 1: Right, it's humanous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it's like just it's a big pool. And when you look at the gender gap between men and women, like you start to see how this all holds together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so let's talk about the other part. So there's maying it harder to vote, but then there's the other part, which is trying to sort of subvert the elections to dirty tricks. How worried are you about that and talk us through what you think. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I think that the most abnormal of all of the abnormalness of the way Donald Trump is going out this election is how direct he is being about the second right, Like you and I could have done this podcast in two thousand and fifteen, for example, twenty sixteen and said, okay, Republicans have a plan to suppress voting rates, right, and like we would have we would have said, okay, this is what they were doing. We you and I talked, you know, in twenty twenty one after the voter suppression laws that Republicans trumpeted about voter suppression. So like, in some ways voter suppression has been a Republican tool that they trod out that they are constantly trying to use. But what's really alarming is that Donald Trump is being pretty direct on the second part of this, which is like trying to subvert the outcome of the election, trying to overturn the will of the voters. And that is molly a historic. I mean, obviously he did it after twenty twenty, but you don't really see historically Republicans like saying, Okay, our plan is.
Speaker 1: To subvert the outcome.
Speaker 3: So I'm quite worried because it is so much more baked into the atmosphere of the Republican Party. And so it's not just like it's not just Donald Trump like wandering the halls of the White House at night, adding you know, fake gold to the to various parts saying I need to subvert the election on social media. It's actually an entire infrastructure that includes the Department of Justice, includes the Republican Party, includes down ballot Republican candidates, includes election officials who have been put in place since the twenty twenty elections. So I'm quite worried about it. It doesn't mean I'm hopeless about it. It doesn't mean I'm I'm you know, I am resigned to it. We're going to fight against it, and I think will win. But people need to unders this is a genuine threat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the lawlessness that Donald Trump has. One of the things that I'm a little bit obsessed with is a reflecting pool, because it's one of those things where Donald Trump has come up against reality in a way that now has messed up his relationship with Judge Piro. And I wonder if you know, because basically he said it was vandalism. His director of the interior, Doug Bergham, also agreed vandalism, but the court said no, no vandalism, shoddy construction, and Judge box of wine has come up against reality. Right, So talk us through, like why I think of this as just such an interesting case for this moment.
Speaker 3: It is, and I wrote about this actually for Democracy Docket, and the analogy I drew was Rudy Giuliani. You know it is if you remember on November seventh, twenty twenty, he stands in the parking lot of the Four Seasons Landscaping Company, the victim of an advancer who apparently must have thought that the Four Seasons is the Fourth Seasons is the Fourth Seasons. But nevertheless, suffering the indignity of standing in the parking lot did not stop Rudy Giuliani, and he told a series of preposterous lies about the twenty twenty election in Pennsylvania. A few days later, he finds himself in a sutin tie, sitting in a courtroom with a federal judge who is questioning him about the claims that they are asserting. And Rudy Giuliani famously and firstly says this is not a fraud case. We are not alleging fraud, okay. And that is the dichotomy that I think has overtaken the Republican Party ever since. It is the lying in the parking lot and then confronted by federal judges in the courtroom having to concede that the things that are being said in the parking lot are not actually part of legal cases. And this periodically flares up, and you're exactly right. This flared up with the reflecting pool, which is that you had Janine Pierro who initially is telling the same lies. Right, She's like, you know, she's like on board with the whole you know, this is vandalism. They wrongfully charge an innocent man with a crime.
Speaker 1: Who happens to be an Olympian.
Speaker 3: Who happens to be an olympian, And then you know, when the rubber meets the road, and now they're going to like have to like show up in federal courtrooms, right because what people need to understand to indict someone, there's no judge really involved in that process. It is just a prosecutor in a grand jury room alone with the grand jurors. But now this is going to be like contested proceedings and a judge is going to look at this, and all of a sudden, Jeaneine Pierro or lawyers under her, you know, are like, wait a second, we like can't go forward this thing because it's like it's demonstrably not true. But Molly, I want to turn it back on you for a second because I think the other really interesting thing that has not been commented on about this reflecting pool is that wasn't Doug Burgham supposed to be the normal one in the cabinet, Like remember he was the moderate governor of I think North Dakota. He's like a self made man and a billionaire and like right, right, And like the theory was, well, maybe he's going into the Interior Department because he's from North Dakota, but he's not really going to be one of the Maga crazies. And now oddly he is to the crazy side of Janine Piro, who is one of the crazies.
Speaker 1: It's funny because I actually know some people who had who worked with Doug Burgham who told me that he is not as bad as even like a Christino, right, And they both come from Dakota's and I think the story here that should be the top line, and is I think a cautionary tale for all is that Trump is an infects. Right. You get if you are an insecure person in any which way and you get in a room with that guy, sooner or later, you're doing the unconscionable in the hopes of getting him to love you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and look, I think that that is exactly the tale of this era is people who have sacrificed their dignity and reputations simply to be in Donald Trump's good graces. And you know, I mentioned Giuliani, but let's you know, we could we could start with him. I mean, people forget, really Giuliani after nine to eleven was a extremely popular figure in this country. And when people talked about him running for president, like it was not as a joke, Like people thought, this guy could run for president and be the president the United States. And you know, he could have a successful law practice, he had a successful consulting practice, whatever it is, and he literally just gave that all away, like and I use the word gave on purpose, like literally gave it away, gave it away to Donald Trump, and now look at him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I mean I think that's exactly the right phrase. He gave it away, and he and he gave it away. And even like Piro is a more complicated figure, but she did, she was actually she did have a real job. And even Todd Blanche, you know, I was talking to someone from the DJ like he was the serious I mean, you know this story, Todd Blanche was the serious guy. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Todd Blanche is another example, absolutely as a great a great example. I mean, Todd Blanche was a federal prosecutor in the southern gustry of New York I think actually hired by pre Perarra was by all accounts, a very well respected federal prosecutor, someone who you know, understood the proper role of federal proscuers. He then goes and comes a partner at one of the most prestigious law firms in New York City, like you know, like, let I'll say this as someone who has been a partner at a big firm in Washington, d c. And now has my own law firm, Like being a partner at a big firm in New York City is kind of the top of the.
Speaker 1: Top, but it's like millions of dollars.
Speaker 3: You make millions of dollars. But you're also you're in the circles of finance, and you know, New York's a very dynamic as you know, since you get invited to all the fancy people dinner parties, like.
Speaker 1: It's at the record show. I'm making a face in a ridiculous face.
Speaker 3: Continue, right, But it can be a very like when you're in that echelon, you get to meet a lot of really interesting people in addition to making, as you say, a lot of money. And he gave all of that away, gave all of that away, and for what to be Donald Trump's attorney general? Like answer this, which of Donald Trump's former attorney generals are better off for having done it?
Speaker 2: Session?
Speaker 3: Body right, let's starr with Jeff Sessions. Jeff Sessions gave up a Senate seat, wound up attacked by Donald Trump. Bill Barr could have been retired as George Bush's attorney general, came back and winds up being deposed by the January sixth Commission, like basically saying this was all a bunch of fucking bullshit. Then you have Pam Bondy, Right, look what happened to her? Like does he really think this is going to end up any better.
Speaker 1: No, And the thing that I think is really important when you think about this time is sooner or later, the rule of law will come back, right like, and there will be just like the courts have held, there will be like maybe Donald Trump will never go to jail. Probably he won't, and maybe his kids will. But there are a lot of people doing a lot of really illegal stuff, making money, doing self dealing. Those people are going to go to jail.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So two things I'd say. Number one, Donald Trump is an old man, Like Donald Trump is an old man. Donald Trump, by the time he has done with his presidency will be in his mid mid eighties. And so you're right, like I think Donald Trump will live out the rest of his days as the former president, you know, barking at paintings in Marlacco and that'll be it. And maybe you're right in the end he pardons his kids, who knows, you know, but maybe he does that and they and they wind up being okay. Although remember federal partons don't affect state crimes, right.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean, there's so much stuff that this crew is doing right now, right, So, like, whether.
Speaker 3: It's the kids or someone else, like, like, none of these people will be covered by from state prosecutions, and that includes, by the way, state tax violence. Right, we talk about the immunity that they got that Donald Trump got with the federal taxes doesn't affect state taxes. But for everyone else, I would ask them three questions. Number One, are you really so sure Donald Trump is going to issue a pardon at the end? I mean Donald Trump told people who was going to pardon at the end of his first term, and there were all of these examples of people asking him for pardons and he didn't issue any. Okay. Number one. Number Two, again, if you're Todd Blanche or you're Doug Bergham, like, is that how you want to go out? You want to go out as a sort of a disgraced figure for a disgraced administration that got pardoned, Like, are you really then better off than you were like before going into this? And then finally, and this is the one, Molly that I have a really hard time with. And you know, you have kids and I have kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I in the.
Speaker 3: End, you know, want my children and my children's children and others to look back on this era as they will and feel like, you know, what I did the best I could and was I perfect?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Did I get it all right?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: But but fundamentally for the big fight of this time, which is what this is going to be, like which side would ion? And I think people and my kids will say, I always on the right side. And I don't understand how for Todd Blanche or Doug Bergham or any of these folks Pam Bondy, like, history's not going to remember like the details of like oh you opened this public land or closed this public land or even the reflecting pool, but they will generally know whether when democracy was at stake, you know, you were working for Like I said, the good guys are the bad guys like you, you know, like today Molly, Like if someone says this person worked with doctor King, right, this person worked with bull Connor, Like it doesn't really matter what they were doing for bull Connor. It doesn't even matter so much what they were doing for doctor King, Like history has a way of fuzzing that over. And I just don't understand why these people want to be remembered for being on the side of authoritarianism when that will be the big historical marker.
Speaker 1: It's absolutely just totally baffling and strange.
Speaker 3: And I think that, but then ply you look, I mean, I'm going to take this sort of into the New York City world. You know, we've been talking about the DC world, which is where I live. And we could say the same thing about John Thune. We could say the same thing about a lot of the senators, the Republican senators. But you know, I also I look at the business titans, the people who have all of the money in the world, all of the money in the world. You know, they're running Amazon, They're running they're shooting things into space, They're they're running investment banks or big publicly traded companies. They've got everything they could possibly want and don't. And you would think they too are facing this choice, and wouldn't they want to be on the right side. And yet I continuously read on X or read about on X them writing these long, embarrassing screeds, and I just don't get what they think they're doing.
Speaker 1: It's also just so at a moment when in a quality wealth inequality is the highest has ever been, and we're clearly heading towards the reckoning, why these people can't just make a slightly less disgusting decision at this moment is sort of shocking.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 1: Mark, Thank you, thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 3: Well, Molly, I love your podcast. I'm glad you invited me back. It's been a while.
Speaker 1: Will you come back? I will.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, I'm going to do this on the air so that Molly has to have me back.
Speaker 1: Oh, We'll always have you back. I'm a fan.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, thank you.
Speaker 1: Shane Goldmacher is a national political correspondent for The Nearing Times. Welcome, Welcome, Shane, Thanks for having me. Okay, so you have many things that you need to talk to us about, because you have a really big story that I want to talk to you about. But first I want to talk to you about the Michigan primaries that you have been covering. Talk us through the polling was like doctor elsaid is going to win by I saw twelve, I saw eighteen. What happened?
Speaker 4: I mean, we don't yet know what happened with the polling other than it was wildly inaccurate and like not for the first time this year. In fact, that you know, I was thinking this morning, the two most expensive primaries in the country were this one and the Texas Republican primary at the beginning of this year. And you'll remember that the polling totally blew that race too. The expectations had been that was going to run away with the very first round against John Cornyn, and again Cornyn received tens of millions of dollars more television ads, and the final result was a heck of a lot closer than the pre election polls. And same as Michigan. You know, you saw I think it was, you know, an average of fifteen points up. Bell say ed was in the final sets of polls, some of which were at leased by people supporting him to potentially drive narrative. And you see today what amounts to currently less than one percentage point victory, less than fifteen thousand votes of one point five million caps. Is it that polls are missing people who are less engaged but swayed by TV ads. That's certainly an hypothesis, But it's a question I think the polling industry is going to have to answer. But I mean, I think this race is a big deal. Regardless margin of his victory. It's the fact of his victory that is so important in democratic politics.
Speaker 1: I want you to talk about candidate quality for a minute, but I also want you to talk about he did have an elected position in Michigan that was in public health, which he did try to run on I think pretty effectively.
Speaker 4: I think it was an appointed position, but you know, he definitely held a public office. Or Yeah, I mean if you watch him on the campaign trail and you watch Hailey Stevens on the campaign trail, there is a gap there. Right. He is a skilled communicator. He talks very quickly. Politics is complicated, but also it's simple, and he had a slogan and it was something that people remembered by the end to the campaign. It was, you know, Medicare for all. It was a call and response, get money out of politics, right and get money in your pocket. If you can boil your message down the simple things that people can both repeat and like, that's pretty important. Right. It doesn't matter if you're running is a right wing conservative, eleft wing progressive, as a centrist. If you have ideas that appeal to people that they can remember you buy, that's really valuable. You know, we looked in New York City at the mayor's race last year, Right, these were the kinds of things that Mom Donny had, and it was a different list of items, but it was things that resonated with the voters he needed to vote for him, and it was things that they could remember. And I think that if you were to try to boil down Alie stevens candidacy, there isn't a call and response. There was an argument about electability, and there was a familiar case that she is more moderate, traditional fit for Michigan and frankly a safer pick the Democratic Party to make in a year where many Democrats feel they have to win in in a state where everybody knows the Democrats have to win, And so she didn't have that same kind of energy and message.
Speaker 1: That he developed. I was reading a very smart piece about moderates. But one of the cases for a more progressive candidate is that when Democrats are having an enthusiasm problem, as which they are right now, candidates like doctor Elside have real enthusiasm right in a way that maybe a Hailey Stevens doesn't. He has assroops enthusiasm. Did you see that, and if so, do you think like the Democrats have alienated them by the establishment has alienated them by going so firmly behind Stevens.
Speaker 4: I think in general, primaries are primaries, and it's actually pretty rare that somebody feels so alienated for primary to completely opposed the other person based on how the primary is run. I do think that there are people who are supportive of Hailey Stevens who are unlikely to end up dual LSA ED voters in the general. And I think the biggest question is not just voters but for financial supporters, which is that this is among the single biggest investments Apack has ever made in a race. He would be the first ever Muslim US senator and does a pack bend against him in the general election. And for Mike Rogers, they haven't said what they're going to do, But that's a question as well. It's a question on individual voters, and it's a question of individual spending by groups that have been heavily involved in this race that spent directly something like thirty million dollars through super PACs that are linked to Apack.
Speaker 1: In Michigan, Bernie Sanders did win the primary in twenty sixteen, so there clearly is an appetite for populism, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he lost in twenty twenty though, when he ran against Joe Biden. I was looking at the map lack as the results came in, of what did Bernie's results look like against Hilary Clinton and what does l s Aide's results look like against Hilly Seams And they don't match up. You know, sometimes you see these sort of progressive and centrist matchups and the maps look the same six years later, eight years later, two years later. This is a very different map. You know, Bernie Sanders had an appeal among white rural voters in that election where he was winning a lot of counties that Hillary Clinton was not, and it with Stevens who was picking up some of those counties. The margins on the other hand, that you saw a sad run up in the college areas in Grand Rapids, in ann Arbor, and those counties that contain them were pretty huge. In some places you could zoom in on, like particular precincts around colleges. You know, he really mobilized younger voters. It appears and appears to be, at least at a first glance, more educated political coalition.
Speaker 1: And so it's not the.
Speaker 4: Same coalition that Bernie Sanders won with. But yeah, and look, I think the results in Michigan, right is important this year. Right, this is the biggest win that the left has had. They've won a bunch of primaries in a bunch of House districts, but it's been in Philly, in Brooklyn, in Manhattan and Denver. This is not small cities. This is a state, and it's a battleground state, and it's a state that the Democratic Party just put at the very front of the calendar in twenty twenty eight to pick the next presidential nominee. So you better believe that this map is going to get studied. But everybody who runs for how you can potentially build a coalition because it's i think now the fifth state that it is going to vote in the twenty twenty eight election. So it's not gonna be the first. There's not gonna be seventeen candidates. There might be two, there might be three. And so what we are looking at here is both how this race unfolded and how the results came in like very much a roadmap or a preview of what we could be looking at in twenty twenty eight, which is frankly what scares a lot of Democrats because this was a pretty ugly primary. The kind of tenor that came through at the end was bitter. I mean, it's like bitter maybe a dramatic understatement.
Speaker 1: When you look at that Republican primary in Texas. Is this a story of money in politics working better? Like? I mean, because with the deal with the Republican primary, the money actually did almost save Cornin and the money did actually almost save Haley Stevens.
Speaker 4: If you think that money doesn't matter in Paul, I think the results this year should tell you that it matters. It also tells you that it's not enough, right that like, having more money does not get you a victory in a race, but it buys you table stakes.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: If you are a struggling candidate and you get fifty million dollars, well, guess what, you might be a little bit more competitive of a candidate. But all of that money brings more attention, It brings more questions of voters, googling, voters looking bill up, voters paying attention to the debates, and so you know, it does crystallize the choice that voters have. And I think it's worth noting those two states have the biggest polling error of the year, which is what made me think about maybe the money has a over lot by you know, something I have to look into. But yeah, it wasn't decisive in either of these cases, even if it directly impacted the result. You know, the person who was on the losing end of the money race was on the winning end of the elections.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you got this missing chapter from the DNC autopsy. I mean, this story is just such a bad story. But give us the setup here because it's just bizarre.
Speaker 4: When Ken Martin, who's the DNC chairman, won his election last year, one of the very first promises he made was euro study of what went wrong in twenty twenty four so the party would never make those mistakes again. And this was going to be pretty widely anticipated. Donors wanted the party to whole to account what went wrong. The whole idea was there were lessons to be learned in defeat. And then this sort of report kept missing deadlines and it leaked, and by last December, mart re Verus himself said, Okay, we're winning again. We won the governor's races in New Jersey, we won the races in Virginia. We're not releasing a report, thinking maybe this would be the end of it, and it was very much not the end of it, because he spent the next five months fielding questions about what was he hiding, what was in this secret report, And so that in May he released a report and said, this isn't really a report. This is like a rough draft that was turned in by an author, and the draft is kind of crappy, and they annotated it on every single page. They said there wasn't source material provided and that this is disavowed and incorrect. And so for the first time, the author of that draft, the person that Ken Martin had empowered to write this critical report, spoke to me and told me what had happened from his perspective, and he said that rough draft, which they should have released, they didn't even release everything. He said there was an entire different chat that he had personally handed in to Ken Martin in a binder in January, and the party never released. And so the story from this week was, well, what was in that chapter and how did this even come to be? The chapter itself contained some of the things that were sort of conspicuously missing from the report that they did put out, like should Joe Biden have run? And it was like, this is a real problem and a key decision point in the entire election. Obviously that had been sort of missing from the chapter. I ashould say the chapter's title was what happened right, the kind of thing that you would expect an autopsy to be covering. It also really took on the consultant class and said that there are people who had gotten generationally wealthy about working in politics, and that those who wanted to make change were banging their head against that system.
Speaker 1: Which seems pretty clearly obviously Joe.
Speaker 4: And a real frustration for like a lot of people in the party. So but here's the twist. Ken Martin says, no, Dice, this is not true that this man who he had empowered tote this autopsy, who was his friend, had not in fact handed him this chapter, had not put it in a binder, and that he had never seen it, and party officials had never seen it, and that this is not some unreleased chapter, but this is something that didn't exist at all. And so the story that I wrote sort of went through the back and forth of what they both said had happened, as well as the contents of this chapter. And I think for Ken Martin This just comes at a moment where he's really already under fire in his role as party chairman. And we just talked about the importance of money the DNC has broke compared to the Republican Party right now, and the most recent telling, the DNC had negative two million dollars cash on hand, two million dollars more in debt than money. The Republican National Committee has like one hundred and twenty eight point five million dollars. One hundred and thirty million dollars is an awfully large gap to have with less than one hundred days into the election, and so Ken Martin's been facing a lot of questions about that, he says to other issues as well, and so this dispute over this autopsy from the person he had entrusted to write it is just sort of another headache for him on an issue that he really hoped to put in his past last December and yet continues to drive on.
Speaker 1: One of the things that I think is interesting about this autopsy is that it is not supposed to be a thing that blocks the sun right Like at every point, what Martin did actually made the problem worse, Like had he just released the autopsy and people had read it, even if they didn't love it. Pushing back was probably the worst part of it. This friend of Martin's, the guy who wrote the autopsy, whose name is Paul Rivera. Paul Rivera said that he printed out that chapter and put it in the binder because when he saw Ken Martin, Ken Martin said he hadn't read it, right, Is that right?
Speaker 4: And Paul said that and basically gave him feedback that I was disappointing this report. And his version is that he's saying, you didn't cover this, You didn't cover this, and Paul's like, I did, you haven't really read this whole thing. I'm going to print a copy, including this chapter that I finished, and I'm going to hand it to you and like, I'd like you to read it. And he says, not only did you read it, he like marked it up with annotations and post it notes and put it back in an overnight binder, you know, overnighted the binder back n So that yeah, that's the origins of this binder. And of course this binder. Now the DNC said they searched for the binder, they couldn't find it. Ken Martin gainst ten binders a week. Why would they keep this binder months later? So it's a real, you know, a real saga that has continued.
Speaker 1: He said, He said, binder saga. We have one more set of primaries, right at.
Speaker 4: Least, I mean, there's there's a bunch more primaries this year, most of them are done. But the next one is Wisconsin where the governor's race, where there is another left wing candidate, a Democratic socialist Francesca Hall, who is currently the favorite in polling. Of course, now we have even more questions than we already did about polling, but certainly is the public polling front runner and again a critical ground swing state of Wisconsin, and.
Speaker 1: She's running against Tom Tiffany, who is very trumpy and all sorts of.
Speaker 4: Thanks you for a current mainline Republicant.
Speaker 1: This yeah, thank you, thank you, thank you, Shane, thank you. No moment, Jesse Cannon, my jun Fast Sue.
Speaker 2: We're seeing a letter from a bunch of people in Congress that is saying that they want the Pentagon to probe Trump family backed companies because you'll be shocked here, there's a little bit of fucker going on with the money.
Speaker 1: No, come on. The letter to the Pentagon Inspector General was prompted by the Post reporting its startups affiliated with the president's sons. Oh really, the president's sons.
Speaker 2: Never would guess I have one more.
Speaker 1: Than three point two billion in defense contract. That can't be right. A group of Democratic lawmakers have asked the Pentagon's official watchdog to open an investigation after The Watching Post revealed that fifteen copanies with investments from President Donald Trump's sons have garnered three point two billion dollars in federal contract. It's called nepotism, team, and it's happening in our federal government. As someone who has benefited by nepotism myself, it's not good. It's real bad. That's it for this episode of Fast Politics. Tune in every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to hear the best minds and politics make sense of all this chaos. If you enjoy this podcast, please send it to a friend and keep the conversation going. Thanks for listening.