Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys, Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 6: Ready for a break?
Speaker 7: Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 2: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com.
Speaker 7: We were with m bar Garcia.
Speaker 2: Brian brought us, Patrick Walker and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 8: Hey, guys, what's up. Welcome back to another episode of the Break. Derek will be joining us here in a little bit. He's running behind, but we have Patrick and Brian here in the studio with us, and I'll just follow along.
Speaker 6: Dere Derek's Derek recruiting Shack. What we got going on here?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 6: You got him part of the mix.
Speaker 8: Apparently we're in meeting and I don't know if he takes firing those decisions, uh, but I hope that news is.
Speaker 5: Maybe helping them choose the lunch me and you, yeah for his lunch for Shack's lunch with Jerry'd.
Speaker 6: At the club club. Food's good as test.
Speaker 8: Since we're talking about Shack, let's go ahead and give an update on what's.
Speaker 6: Currently you guys got to recruit him now, everybody everybody doing what they're supposed to do.
Speaker 8: The last thing Jerry mentioned on the fan that he was gonna go have lunch with him and meet up with him and then one time it's lunchtime.
Speaker 6: I guess not yet, it's in the next five minutes.
Speaker 5: Maybe maybe that's what Maybe that maybe that's the real reason they're closing the.
Speaker 7: Lunch up earlier today.
Speaker 5: But yeah, Shaqlonard, he's in the building and like like you said, Jerry said on one O five to three the fan this morning, at that point, which was around eight thirty, Shack was getting a one over once overdone by the medical staff.
Speaker 7: Obviously, like we talked about yesterday, the.
Speaker 5: Cowboys are satisfied with what they've seen up to this point as far as the medical homework on him. That's why they brought him in for a meeting. But now that he's in the building, you got to let Britt Brown and this medical staff do their work and their due diligence, and then after that everything checks out. Then he Shaq Clenard, will have lunch with Jerry Jones himself, which is another positive sign. Shows you just how in the Cowboys are on trying to get him on the roster.
Speaker 8: So have y'all heard anything yet all the physicals when and the medical part that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, because for all we know, they could still be wrapping up the back end of that. So, I mean, that's not exactly a five minute situation. So we should know something in the next.
Speaker 7: Couple of hours.
Speaker 5: Unfortunately it'll be after we're already off of the air, but hopefully we'll have some good news for Cowboys fans at some point later today. And like we talked about yesterday, it's a situation where, on top of all the reasons the Cowboys should should sign him, there's the added reason of if he leaves this building without the deal, Philadelphia is on the other line. So if you needed any more motivation, you got it.
Speaker 9: I got my graphic ready. Yeah, waiting, there you go.
Speaker 6: The uh, it's it's it's going to come down to the recruiting part of it. You'll you'll win that battle right there that you guys do a great job with the recruiting aspect, the things, the building, the personnel, everybody, the coach is involved. This could come down to how well at in PACIFICA can negotiate and a deal and you know you have more money here in Dallas than Philadelphia has right now, Philadelphia can't get creative. They're not afraid to go over the budget, you know, to go get players or to move money around, and you know, so that's something you have to worry about. So there's a lot of positives about him being here in Dallas. But like Patrick says, you do not want him to walk out of this building and then all of a sudden show up at the Novacare Center in Philadelphia and then all of a sudden they're talking about, Oh, well, they've got this thing done because they move some money around and they were able to recruit. I really do trust the guys and gals that recruit here.
Speaker 9: Do you know what the money I.
Speaker 6: Have no idea, but it's going to be something you know, I would be surprised. It's you know, Indianapolis is paying the line share of what exactly the contract is Dallas. I believe it's like six million dollars cap space. I think Philadelphia's at two. So you're going to have to get somewhat creative with the way you do it. But you know that's so You've got some very talented guys here that handle that. And so if they you know, if the agent and Adam can agree on a price, I think you'll have a good chance of getting this player.
Speaker 5: And to that point, I love what Jerry told the fan this morning as far as saying the financial component isn't necessarily a big factor in this particular negotiation, and it kind of goes to the fact that the Coats are on the hook for several million dollars. Yeah, when it comes to Shack, So it's not a situation where the Cowboys have to you know, blow them out of the water. As far as the money is concerned, the money just needs to be respectable. It needs to be at a point where he and his agent are like, okay, okay, we can do that, especially when you package it with the culture Dan Quinn former teammates like Brandon Cooks, Stefan Gilmore. You get to play on the same defense as Michael Parsons, guys like Osa Doron bland Is playing behind you. And then of course you look at the offense and how explosive they've become with Dak Prescott, City Lamb, Brandon Cooks, that who I just mentioned. So yeah, I think that the package when you then toss in DFW as far as the metroplex, very attractive area to live, no state tax in Texas. The package itself is a fairly easy sale. Money is not necessarily going to be a big talking point. It just goes to, like you said, how the contract is structured, how the negotiation goes in that as.
Speaker 6: I think the thing too you also have to worry is therek The things you have to worry about is expectations though for the rest of the season. You know, both teams are have aspirations for being in that final game, and that's where you're at right now. Philly is ahead of you in that regard, so you know, those are the things they're selling. They're selling, Hey, you want to come here, here's the money you want to win. You know, Dallas can sell the same things. I mean, Dallas takes no back seat to Philadelphia. But he's to have to make a decision on which situation is the absolute best for him because both teams are struggling with their linebackers right now. That is a problem for both teams.
Speaker 7: You know, I'll also throw this out there. We're talking about a.
Speaker 5: Guy who's coming off of back issues and hopefully all chucks out well with that. But if I'm Shacklanard, I'm going to step into his shoes for a second. So everything else that I said is attractive to the Shacklandard. If I'm Shackland and I'm also looking at the weather component, because we're going into the back end of the season now we're talking December January. Would it be more favorable for you coming off of a back issue to play indoors in North Texas versus outdoors Philadelphia, because presumably, let's say Philadelphia gets home field advantage as well.
Speaker 7: It's something to consider, is what I mean.
Speaker 5: Because the code and at the link ah, that's rough in December and January. It's a little more favorable when the dome is when the roof is closed at AT and T Stadium, man, and you get to play in seventy degree controlled temperature. When you start thinking about like the accessory accessorial items around the easy packets.
Speaker 7: That's already to say. I just wonder if he thinks about things like.
Speaker 6: Well, you better win the division then because all your games are likely gonna be yes, we need to do in the playoffs unless unless you go to Atlanta or too as the fifth seed. And my my point all along is if you can't win, if you can't win the division, by all means, hang on to the fifth seed. Yeah, don't fall to six or seven, because you'll be playing outdoors in San Francisco. You might be playing indoors at Detroit. You know, if that's the case, if you fall out of that makes.
Speaker 7: It that much more important to defeat the Seahawks.
Speaker 4: On he's missing the most important thing that maybe he's considering, which would be how much how much playing time he's gonna get at each one because Kobe Dean right now is on IR but he would be coming back presumably, So is he a short term rental in Philly where you know, get to the playoffs? And maybe now he's not even active. Now he's not playing because Nikobe Deane's back in Dallas. There, guy's gone for the season, and so you're stepping into a situation and for him, what maybe the selling point is, Hey, you're gonna get a lot more playing time with us, a contending team, just like Philadelphia is a contending team, but their linebackers coming back ours isn't. And I think that that maybe your selling point.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's if Dan doesn't take him off the field. In the nickel or the dime that they play and put on Bell and guys like that. That's the thing that we all don't know right now. That was one of the problems he had with the Colts is they were taking him off the field in certain passing situations, and he didn't want to come off the field. But maybe he plays well enough to where you're like, well, we'll do something else with Bell and and and Thomas and other guys that play that linebacker position.
Speaker 4: Well, we know they played three safeties quite a bit, so maybe he just worked that rotation.
Speaker 5: Rights we've seen get creative flick. So, yeah, it's a good problem to have. Just make sure it's it's a problem that you have because you want to have this problem.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But that certainly would be my pitch to him, is we got more playing time for you than Philadelphia does, at least in the long term, certainly by the time we get to the playoffs. And so that may be of interest to him. That may be something he's very interested in. That may be a part of his his factory of where he wants to go.
Speaker 8: Well, one thing we do know is what a great salesman Jerry Jones here is one of the best business men.
Speaker 6: They can show a drowning man a glass of water. I have I've seen I've seen him do stuff that like, you know, like I didn't think it. We were going to get this done and and next thing you know, Jerry's like, hand me the phone and then I mean I watched him one time have two general managers on the phone. And usually in a draft, they will not tell you who they're going to take. He had two. He had two different general managers on the phone Minnesota, Kansas City, and both general managers told him who he was going to pick, and he hung up the phone. He said, they're not taking our guy. Let's we can trade with this team. He got guys to admit who they were going to take. It's amazing the ability he has to draw information and then to convince you that this is the right way to do it. It is I've never seen anybody work like he does. It's amazing, it really is.
Speaker 4: This might sound crazy, but I think he needs to get the brus on the squad to go and have some conversations with him, Like Harold Nash Raymond.
Speaker 9: We thought you were just in the meeting with them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, I'm just saying that's where, that's where it's this can can hinge like, make sure spending some time with him. Man, you know, come on over here. We got some good stuff going on in this city. You know, everything that helps, every little bit, right, I think every little Now that the rough part is the Kobe. Deane's also bruh, so you know it kind of can go either way. So it's Jalen hurts. So they got some of that up there too. But yeah, we.
Speaker 8: Still have time. So let's go ahead and do the injury report. We haven't gone through that just yet.
Speaker 7: She started, she rebuilded against what are you doing?
Speaker 9: I say, you come in here late? You do not.
Speaker 4: I did not want to. I really didn't want this.
Speaker 6: I yes, no better than yes, ma'am. Yes, ma'am.
Speaker 4: I'm with you whatever you want to do, so I really do.
Speaker 6: Maybe nine ten years ago you got away with that. Now today, all.
Speaker 5: Right, so injury news, injury news, sign check sign, we've got uh, We're going to run down the report. Rico Daldo he's still dealing with the ankle injury. He was limited on yesterday, but he's it's not sidelined him yet, thankfully. He continues to work through his availability should be green a green light for tomorrow Thursday against the Seahawks. Dante Fowler he was absent with an illness. We'll see if he returns today. If not, and if that cost him availability on Thursday, obviously look at a guy like Sam Williams taking the lead there. But you'll get an update when the injury report comes out later. Peyton Hendershot and he continues to be full. I mentioned it yesterday. I don't I think people are kind of forgetting that. There's a twenty one day window for Peyton Hendershot and the Cowboys are coming up against that, So they're going to have to make a decision on him if if they don't activate him, he reverts to season ending injuries, or the alternative is to put him on the active roster and make a corresponding move. Jay Ron Curse with the back tightness. He was limited yesterday. But I spoke with Curse in the locker room asked him straight out, what are the odds you play against the Seahawks? He said, quote unquote two hundred percent, So there you go. Zach Martin should be back today from a rest day, So shit, Tyron Smith, but he's nice not going to practice. Mozzie Smith popped up with a shoulder injury. He was a full participant on Monday. That's good news. And Tyris Wheat, Uh, he is in concussion protocol. He did not practice yesterday, and I think that's something to watch absolutely, especially if it's time to flip a spot to bring hinder Shot in.
Speaker 7: You might be moving Wheat to Iry.
Speaker 6: How about a linebacker?
Speaker 4: M maybe maybe maybe, unless you know practice, that may be your spot. But then then the question to ask is do you guys see the scenario, a scenario where maybe pender Shot doesn't come back to the active roster. Yeah, you see that as a possibility.
Speaker 8: It's hard to see him with Oh, it's hard to see him with a roll. Like I hate saying that, but right now how things have been playing out with the tight end position, it's hard for me to find a spot like when would I have him on the field? When would I take someone else out and put him in?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's mean drives me crazy to uh, to quote a fine young Cannibal song, she drives me crazy.
Speaker 4: Uh, young people don't know what that is.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they were good back in the day, I'm with you, but you know, and I'm wrong about these guys a lot, but I kind of felt like it. I was hopeful that Hindershot would come back and they would kind of switch those two out. That's why I was hopeful.
Speaker 8: I still haven't given up mckune. No, it's kind of like an up and down type of player.
Speaker 6: Gum on your shoe you can't get you know, You're like, you're mad the gum is on your shoe, and then you finally like, I can't get the gum off my shoes.
Speaker 4: Anything good about gum being on your shoe though, Like there's some good to him, right, I think?
Speaker 6: Right? No, No, he plays special teams and all that. I like the fact that they're using they're using a hundred lipkey more. You like those full back rolls. Hunter Lipkey is learning. They're like, listen, you go in there sideways and try and block somebody, you are going to get rejected out of there. You're going to get knocked out of there. So he's kind of figured out like, Okay, if I go in there and hit square, you know, I might get knocked out, but I'm not going to get knocked out as fast. So he's learning. He does it better than what I see from McEwen. You know, but McEwen plays special teams and all that, and you know when you fight special teams coaches on players, it's it doesn't work. They just they look at you and they're like, okay, whatever, I'm still playing the guys. I don't care what you say for me.
Speaker 5: It's difficult to justify not reactivating him, if only for two reasons. One, you still want to see if you can if he can step in and be another playmaker for you and Dak Prescott. But to that same point, you need to see what he looks like over the remainder of this year because in the off season, guess who's coming back John Stevens Junior. And John Stevens was a highlight guy in training cap in preseason before he suffered his torn a cl So you really need to see before that decision has to be made, what can him a shot do for you in year two. And you're not going to find that out if you keep him on seasoning, if you put him on season ending ir so you know, put him on the field and flip Tyrus weed if that concussion is you know, gonna hold him out, put him on four game I r feel it out.
Speaker 7: From there, and you do it that linebacker.
Speaker 5: And I was gonna say, but keep in mind, I mean, you could sign Shack to the practice squad and you have him there, and then that at least gives you a week or so to try to figure out whatever else you need to figure out, because it's all just roster chess.
Speaker 4: Yeah he's not He's not gonna play this week.
Speaker 5: Right exactly, And it's all just roster chess at this point. So so yeah, I think you bring up.
Speaker 8: My problem is and I absolutely agree, like I think you should. We should get another look before the season ends, exactly.
Speaker 9: But excuse me, it's very rare.
Speaker 8: Uh, that a guy comes back from injury and is effective on the field immediately. We're heading into the start of December and that's a tough month. We ain't got time to be trying out. Let's trial and error going there. Check it out. How you feeling we don't have time for any of that.
Speaker 9: You're not wrong.
Speaker 8: I mean, it's not fair to the player sometimes, but it is what it is. That's how it is. So if we were if it was like late October I would be fine, but looking where we're at currently right now, it's just it's McCarthy.
Speaker 6: It sound just like I love my players. I don't want to move. I don't want to I mean, it's just like, you know, but you're not wrong, right, Yeah, you don't want to put somebody out there that in in Buffalo all of a sudden like falls apart in the game, you know, and it cost you an opportunity to win because you're trying, Yeah, because you're trying to you know, you're trying to like, oh, we need to get this guy back in the mix. Whereas if you've had all these other guys who've been playing with you, you know, the majority of the season. It's a good point.
Speaker 8: The gum drives up at some point and he doesn't stake on the floor anymore.
Speaker 6: I still don't know how to get gum off the.
Speaker 8: Shit it's just gone stays there, but it doesn't stake on the ground anymore.
Speaker 6: You've ever gone to sleep and like gum got in your hair, it comes out of your mouth.
Speaker 9: No, I don't fall asleep with gumb in my mouth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it hasn't happened to me.
Speaker 9: That happened to you.
Speaker 6: Clearly experienced drink enough. It will.
Speaker 9: All right.
Speaker 4: Let's take our first break. When we come back, We're gonna get into Brian's break down to see how tole off this versus the Dallas defense. We'll be back Dallas. Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 1: Five G requires compatible planing device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 11: Cowboys fans, after that move, we've just coined the term rowdy replay.
Speaker 4: Let's roll back the table.
Speaker 7: Okay, there's our mascot Rowdy cheering on the.
Speaker 5: Boys, and now he's on his phone on his Bank of America mobile banking.
Speaker 11: App, staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial assistant Erica.
Speaker 5: Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive, Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Slash Can't Stop Banking Everica.
Speaker 6: It is only available in the English language. Must download the latest version of the mobile banking app.
Speaker 4: Only available on select mobile devices. Messaging dat ragsy apply a number FDIC.
Speaker 12: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 9: Would you, Dear doctor?
Speaker 10: My friend supported me during a tough time. But what's the right gift that says thanks for.
Speaker 9: Being the souldier to cry out?
Speaker 12: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious doctor pepper weappin says thanks good, better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do. Now, Just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 2: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, caater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 6: Back to the break, All right, Today's Tuesday? Right?
Speaker 4: Uh yes, suir okay.
Speaker 6: Tis the season for youth football and dance camps, presented by a Visil line. Don't miss a chance to learn from the Dallas Cowboys, cheerleader and former NFL players at at and T Stadium on December twenty second and twenty third. Celebrate the holidays with the Cowboys. Register today at Dallas Cowboys dot com. Slash Camps Welcome Back.
Speaker 4: It is the second segment of the Brick Life in s WBC Mortgage Studios at the Star. I've resumed hosting responsibilities and this segment is brought to you by blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 9: You know what, you know what next time?
Speaker 6: Well for that next time, he.
Speaker 8: Says, you've you've created this show and you've held it out for like fifty years.
Speaker 4: Fifty season nineteen. I guess you didn't lead with the season nineteen.
Speaker 7: You know, I can't.
Speaker 9: It's been a long time and you kept you kept them and you.
Speaker 4: I'm the last surviving member of the Bridge, so that counts for something, all right.
Speaker 6: By the way, I think Nick is really enjoying this storyline and he's like really getting into it, like he's I was talking about Paul finebaumb and these guys that take calls and stuff. Nick's building quite an audience with his show, getting some familiar callers and stuff like that. So yeah, he's he's really enjoying that. It's a good show. Yeah.
Speaker 4: My mom told me when she was here for Thanksgiving, She's like, I listened to Nick's show.
Speaker 6: I like it.
Speaker 4: And I said, you know, to be honest with you, I've not seen nicky. And you know this because you've been around Nick for a long time. Nick can be a little moody at times. I said, I have not seen Nick as happy. You have not seen Nick as happy on a show ever as he is this year, And I think that show has a lot to do with it.
Speaker 8: He hasn't gone off on a caller. I know because he was.
Speaker 4: He has that he can get those moments when he's like, I've had enough. Whoever calls in is gonna get it. Whatever they say, they're going to get it. But no, he has You're right, he's very It was.
Speaker 6: A Heisman Trophy question today and he asked the guy if he listens, if he follows college fall, and yeah, I do a little bit. And he said, who is candidate for us for the trophy? And you could tell Nick was about ready to explode, and it was just very calm about it. He goes, Okay, well, hey, thanks for the call. I don't watch much college football. I could tell.
Speaker 4: And it's made him way more quati. But I think that show is really good. I listen sometimes.
Speaker 6: Storyline is a good show.
Speaker 4: All right, Let's talk about the Seattle Seahawks, Brian. Let's talk about their offense. They were held under three hundred yards passing three of the last four games. Against Baltimore only one hundred and twenty three yards. Washington was the outline with three hundred and sixty nine, but at the Rams two twenty three, San Francisco won thirty two. What was the difference between watching and all these other games.
Speaker 6: Yeah, San Francisco smothered them. We've seen how San Francisco could smother you in a game, and there they made.
Speaker 4: It really they made it difficult for Was it about the pass rush or was it about.
Speaker 6: It was about the coverage? It was about the coverage because then what happens is coverage turned into guys getting home. They've got some issues on their offensive line, especially at right tackle, or the problems that they're deal with. I will say this to me, their offense is really predicated on their wide receivers.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 6: You know, they're struggling right now with the health of a running back, which I think can make a different Friends Kenneth Walker, I feel like watching him on tape when you start to talk about hand the ball to a guy downhill runner, be physical. I call him a no nonsense kind of a runner. I mean he's he excels between the tackles. That's kind of his game. But this this team is really built because of their wide receivers. Their offense is built because of their wide receivers. So it's going to be important that if you somehow come up with a plan, much like what Baltimore did. Much like San Francisco. They challenged DK Metcalf. You know, they challenged these Smith and Jigbo. They challenged these guys to have to make plays. And you know, that's the thing I've always when you watch these teams, I think it's one of the most talented group of receivers though that that they've they've faced this year. Philadelphia's got super talent. San Francisco's got super talent. But when you look at these guys and what they it's really it's a mix of extreme size and quickness, and I mean extreme when it's really one big guy and a couple other little guys, and they they will they will hurt you if you don't cover them up. They're not as consistent. I will say this. Medcalf is not as consistent. There's times when you see the deep shot and if you look at the metrics and all that deep balls, he's not The number of targets to receptions is not great, but there's a lot of deep shot balls and they miss on those the ones that I saw. That's something you're absolutely going to have to be ready for in this game. But I tell you what they're They're the two smaller receivers are you know, it's when you talk about Tyler Lockett and Smith and Jig But these are tough cover guys because of the quickness that they play with and their ability to find space. You play zone against them, they'll kind of sit down and and Gino Smith will find a way to get them the football. And so that's where I think this game is really going to hinge for the for the Cowboys. We'll see if Walker plays in the running game for them. If he doesn't show, Urbano is the is the is the backup, the rookie from UCLA, and he's more of a straight line kind of a runner. But these wide receivers are the ones that I'm worried about right now. Can you match up against them? Can you run with them? Can you cover them? When you play quite as much man coverage as the Cowboys do.
Speaker 4: So when you think about that from the standpoint of the skill set of this particular the Cowboys secondary, and think about what they do well, what they don't do well, how do they match up with those receivers?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Well, the thing about it is you're not There's no one you really can match up the size of metcalf. That's that's that's you're just gonna have to go battle him and you're gonna and sometimes this guy will drop the ball. Yeah, I mean he'll drop it and you're like, oh, thank god, you know one of those things. But the thing about it is that the things that I do always worry about. And we've seen with Lewis and we've seen a little bit with Gilmour, it hasn't been as much and I'm I was waiting for someone to really challenge him on those inbreaking routes where he has to check. This could be one of those games where Seattle forces Lewis and Lewis and then Gilmore to have to chase. And when I say the inside those inbreaking routes right there, you know, all of a sudden you're getting a bunch of formation. They scatter and now the routes come, you know, come one drives hard to the inside. Now you have to react and go with I think that I think that when you talk about Bland, Bland can run with anybody. Bland can play the ball. Bland can you know he's comfortable going across the field because he's a really good nickel player. He knows how to play all the field. With Gilmore and then with Lewis, it's going to be can they hold up with those inbreaking routes if they do. This is how San Francisco was able to stop, and this how Baltimore was able. They didn't. They didn't allow those routes from their smaller, quicker players to affect him in this game.
Speaker 4: Ye all right, I'm talking about Geno Smith. He's had the elbow injury now. He just sustained it two weeks ago. Did you see anything in the San Francisco game It made you think that's part of the problem because obviously you said that they smothered them a they smothered them. But with the injury, it's on his throwing hand, on his throwing arm. Is that a part of the equation as well, And that's something that maybe could benefit the Cowboys that he's maybe not throwing the ball as well as he was throwing it before.
Speaker 6: I think the thing with Gino, it didn't look any different the way. There was some questions about the accuracy because of the way that they were playing the coverage and how tight it was. So but I've seen him when you go back and watch him play the Rams the week before. The Rams didn't play him as tight. We've all seen the Rams out here. The Rams sometimes don't cover you, and he was able to Like he looked much better throwing the ball in that game, even some of the tight window stuff. It wasn't as it wasn't as evident that there was the struggles there. But to me, the guy could still throw the ball in the rope. I mean there's anticipation there, there's some tight and throw it on the rope on the line. Could he could really throw it on the line right there, So you know, with the anticipation, the timing and all that, he's got feel for that stuff. I do feel like his accuracy will come and go. But you know, he's one of those guys that to me, you watch him play and he can go the accuracy go up and down, or he will just light you up the way he plays. So I the thing I worry about a little bit with him is the escapability in the pocket. He's got the size, the body type. He's not what these guys. It's going to allow defenders to bring him down easily. He's gonna move, He's sturdy, in the pocket in the way he plays, but there's snaps where he will hold onto the ball and he will take a sack. And the forty nine ers got after him pretty good because they knew if we cover their guys that he was going to hold the ball and then you have to get after him that way. I think the Cowboys need the absolute same type of plan. Hold up in the secondary, make him hold the ball, and then get the pass rush on this right side of this of this Seattle offensive line. Like I said, they've struggled with the right tackle spot at a couple of different Jason Peters has played over there. He got hurt. It looks like he'll be okay. Storm Stone Forsyth is the tackle that kind of has been starting. He starts seven of the eleven games, and he's a guy that tends to play a little high. He's a really tall guy and he has and that gives him problems because guys get underneath him, they drive him to the quarterback, or they get underneath him and get to the quarterback. So the right side of the offensive line is where you need to attack these guys and hopefully you can cover in the back end to get your to get your guys coming off that left side home on them.
Speaker 5: And then what I will say is what I'll add to that is and you can't say this about every NFL quarterback, but I believe you can say about Geno Smith in this particular situation, stop the run and make them make the Seahawks imbalanced for a couple of reasons. One, like Brian said, the right side of that offensive line, it can be had, especially with the way the Cowboys apply pressure to quarterbacks. But if you go back and you look at the last four games of the Seahawks, three of those losses to twenty eight rushing yards by the Ravens. That was a loss held to sixty eight rushing yards by the Rams. That was a loss eighty eight yards rushing a little bit better by the forty nine ers, but most of that was after the game was already out of hand. So if you can stop the run for the Seattle Seahawks, you force the game on the Gino, you will have to deal with the escapability completing of it. But this is a guy who's not completely healthy. We don't know what the if the elbow injury is hampering or dampting what he can do. But the fact is it's there, so that means it's there for him mentally as well. He doesn't want to have to take the hit, he doesn't want to have to make the throw, he doesn't want to make et cetera, et cetera, apply pressure to him, make him overthink. It made him play hero ball because also two turnovers against the Ravens, a turnover against the Rams, two turnovers against the forty nine ers make Gino win the game for the Seahawks. And that will give you opportunities for guys like to Ron Bland to take the ball away, get home, maybe Michael Parson sack fumble, Sam Williams sack fumble. Oh soly saw what Jonathan Hankins multi sac game. So you can get pressure up front, but you gotta stop that run otherwise he's going to be way too comfortable back there with weapons like Metcalf, Lockett and JS And.
Speaker 4: Let's take our final break when we come back. I want to know more about these running backs. Kenneth Walker was a guy that last year seemed to be really really playing really well. This year they've been a little less effective. I want to know more about maybe why Kenneth Walker hasn't been as effective this year. And what kind of challenges does Zach Charbonnay provide that you'd have to be ready for. We'll talk about that when we come back. Dallas Cowboys dot com Radio.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 1: Five G requires compatable planing device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 3: Don't put off getting your oil Jain Dallas. Take five oil change, a proud partner of the Cowboys is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room. Yep, you hurt that correctly. Take five is so fast you don't even.
Speaker 6: Have to get out of your car.
Speaker 3: You can take advantage of Take Five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 11: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus. Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 2: They say champions are remember, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, Compact construction equipment, Hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf, the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 6: Back to the Break experienced most electrifying event of the holiday season. It's the Cowboys Christmas Extravaganza powered by Reliant. Every Friday and Saturday night from November seventeenth through December sixteenth, Cowboys Christmas Extravaganza ignites the Star in Frisco with an unforgettable holiday performance, showcasing sixty five performers, including the world renow Cowboys, Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders, Santa Claus, and appearance from your favorite Dallas Cowboy football heroes. Visit the Star District dot com for more.
Speaker 4: Today, Welcome back. It is the final segment of the Break Class Again's Opportunities. That's because Amber was over talking to me about you. I mean, I can't up because like talking to me.
Speaker 9: Like we got lunch, we got to get to lone mind my own business.
Speaker 7: I was.
Speaker 4: Trying to and then he accommodate Amber.
Speaker 6: One is she trying to Is she trying to get this show over at forty five exactly?
Speaker 4: He's like, She's like, do not make me miss lunch.
Speaker 9: He's over here showing me the lunch menu.
Speaker 6: What do you guys got today?
Speaker 4: We got Nashville Hot fried chicken. All right, sounds pretty good, isn't it?
Speaker 9: But today we're on a Friday schedule.
Speaker 4: Yes, we got me.
Speaker 8: You don't have like five minutes to get lunch, which means we cannot end this show late.
Speaker 9: Because then they will not let us go through. And you do not want hungry.
Speaker 7: I want to know what checks have, No, I do not. I want to know what upstairs?
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh they're in the club.
Speaker 6: Oh absolutely, that wag that wag Burger is pretty good up there.
Speaker 9: If any of us can do that, as you you think, yeah.
Speaker 4: We get away with it, we know, Yeah, all right, I might try. Let's see what happens. Just walk up, like, what what's going on? We got a deal?
Speaker 7: Just man from the from the fish.
Speaker 6: I'm would PLoP down in order that Wago burger out there that they have. It's it's really good. All right.
Speaker 4: Let's uh, let's talk about the running backs. I want to give you an idea. Brian of Kennith Walker is a guy that that's that's been without him a little. Him and Zach Charboney what what kind of problems they present for the cow Well, the.
Speaker 6: Thing with Kenneth Walker and they're both kind of like powerful guys when it comes to running. I send the spell Walker. If you go up there and try to kind of just half assed tackle, he's going to run through you. I mean you have to go up there and be committed to being able to like put a shoulder in there, get bodies onto him. Uh, you know, I called him that, like I said, a no nonsense runner, and you know he'll break a lot of tackles because of his running style, the lower body power, you know. I think that's something that you know, they hand him the ball. They play a lot of pistols, so he's right behind, they'll hand him the ball. He'll just kind of he'll commit either inside bounce a little bit. I think he's got a little bit more movement than what you have with Sharbono. Sharboneau to me is a UCLA. And it's funny Patrick and I were talking about we were all talking about running backs, but you watched him what Chip Kelly was doing with him at UCLA. They gave the ball over five hundred times in two years, so they just it was downhill, downhill, straight ahead, straight ahead, And that's kind of back he is. He can handle that workload. So that's that's something. Both these backs have an element of a power game to him. Can their offensive line. I look at this offensive line and to me, it's very push shove, and I mean push shove. It's like they come off the ball, they get in their guy, and they tried and then they put and then they and then they try and shove the guy wherever they want to go. It's not like connect and then drive or combination blocks or get to the second level. It's like secure the down guys first and then let the backs deal with whatever else is behind the linebackers. And because you'll see guys just locked on their guys. But it's not like traditional blocking. It's in the guy push push, Oh you want to go that way, I'm just going to push you that way.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: There's not a lot of rhyme or reason to their scheme in the way that they run. They really allow on their backs to be able to break tackles or to get extra yards.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so, and which goes back to the point stop the run if you're Dallas Cowboys, so that you can force this game in the air. But something that Brian mentioned a little bit earlier that we want to make sure that the Cowboys fans are paying attention to is the status of Kenneth Walker. He's dealing with an oblique injury. He did not participate in yesterday's practice, so you know there's a possibility that either he will not play at all or he will be kind of hindered by that oblique injury, and that will put a lot of onus on Zach charbon Nay, who during the break I was saying I was so high on Charbonnay. Absolutely, he was one of the guys. He was the second running back that I wanted if we couldn't get a chain. We didn't get either, which is fine, But charlon Nay he did a lot of good things for UCLA. And the thing about him is being a downhill runner, he's surprisingly good with his hands as well, so he can catch the ball out of the backfield, so you know, keep that in mind as well. But he's as talented as any other running back in the league. But Kenneth Walker, keep an eye on that oblique injury. We'll see if he even plays this game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the word out of Seattle is that maybe they won't practice him, but they'll play him. That kind of thing, that they felt like that maybe they didn't have to have him on the field. We'll see that. Thursday is a short week. It's here before we know it. They might determine, you know, we can't you know, but they also might say, we can't lose any more games.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: They're in that situation too. So players this time of year kind of step up when they might not be exactly ready to.
Speaker 7: And leak is tough.
Speaker 5: When you take a shot to the oblique that's already kind of injured.
Speaker 7: That ain't fun. Yeah, that ain't fun at all.
Speaker 5: So if you're Kenneth Walker, that's something to consider as well. Because this is a Cowboys defense and defensive line that can beat up on you physically, and they typically do beat up on their opposition. If you look at what happens to their opposition in the weeks to follow playing the Dallas Cowboys, that injury report tends to grow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all things considered Marquis Bell I think has played fairly well. Yeah, as a linebacker. Have you guys seen anything that would make you be concerned about him matching up with size and power, powerful running backs that kind of thing, because that was one of the things that you always were concerned about is he's not really a typical linebacker size. But if you face a team that maybe where the backs are a little more powerful, they're willing to put their shoulder down and run into you. Like, do you see that being a problem for Bell?
Speaker 6: Better away than at Yeah, better player when he could chase, you know, when the ball goes h maybe it's a little bit off the edge perimeter, play better on the chase. Now, I'll tell you what the thing that with him and Clark, both of them, when you watch them play run defense inside, when the ball is inside, they'll step up. The problem is two and fifteen to sixteen pound guy taking on three hundred and twenty pound guards and stuff like that. It's not fair fight. So that's where to me, I you know, you go out, you're try and you're trying to sign the shack linard just because you're missing that element of having Leyton Vanderin. You're missing because you can have one guy play light. You can't have two guys play light. That's the problem they're dealing with right now.
Speaker 4: All right, I have one more question for you guys, for me in the show to Ron Bland. We obviously have talked about den I'm opening a new I'm opening a new topic, and we got like three and a half.
Speaker 10: That's just kill.
Speaker 6: Watch me, philister here.
Speaker 4: Okay, So here's the question, this question too.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 4: Is Deron Bland a legitimate candidate candidate for Defensive Player of the Year.
Speaker 7: Absolutely.
Speaker 5: I think anyone who doesn't have him in the conversation lose his credibility. I mean, he's on a historic run. And yeah, it's a it's a an award that's typically dominated by pass rushers, and this year, look at the front runners. Their pass rushers household name is Miles Garrett, T. J.
Speaker 7: Watt.
Speaker 5: The list goes on and on, but there's no justifiable way to keep a guy with five picks sixes through eleven games out of the conversation for Defensive Player of the Year.
Speaker 6: Metrics will tell you that five picks sixes or were twenty sacks making the all of the leader in the division or the.
Speaker 4: Leader how many games left?
Speaker 6: Yeah, right, that would be so if you if you're if you're one of those guys and gals that believe in metrics, and I always say that that that that that's what that equates to. Those pick sixes equate to four sacks of pick six So he's got twenty of those sacks if you want to do that kind of math.
Speaker 9: Who came up with that math?
Speaker 6: There's people that come up with all kinds of.
Speaker 9: That's worth three sacks?
Speaker 13: Well that they it's the way these people with metrics and they create they create formulas against like yeah, like yeah, they're they're they're absolutely saying, yeah, what he what he's doing on the defensive side, you have to find a way to be able to compare what his what he's doing as a defendant as a defensive back.
Speaker 8: And I don't know how he could not be in the conversation for that for Defensive Player of the Year. I mean just it is extremely hard to just get one interception, let alone run and make it to the end zone and get it touched ONWN every time he's had those, So it's that that is so difficult and it's so impressive.
Speaker 9: The way and the it's happening in year two.
Speaker 8: This is the second year in the league, in the NFL, Yes, at a whole different level. And he's managed the new role with Trevon Diggs coming out with the injury. He's managed taking over that role extremely well. He's had those moments where last game, Brian, you talked about it yesterday a little bit. Yeah, he and everyone has those type of games. There are games that you don't have a Mic Parson really showing up.
Speaker 7: That happens.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so, but looking through the whole season as a whole, he's had an excellent, fantastic year.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's kind of like the same argument you would trying to get Dack into the MVP candidate. You know, you've got to find a way to keep winning games. You got to find a way to this next run of games. You got to find a way to beat guys that you're competing against. You know, you got to find a way to beat Jalen Hurts. He didn't beat you know, the guy in San Francisco who's up there for the opportunity of that. But you got to find a way to you know, guys like that you got to find a way to win these games. And then you know it's the voters say, well, look, it's a dominant team, dominant player. You know, even though I do believe in my heart that a three loss guy is going to win the Heisman Trophy this weekend, you know at LSU and you know, so we'll see, I mean, but it it happens. But usually it's teams that have players on winning teams that get these awards.
Speaker 4: One thing to note is Deron Bland. He only has to look across the field to see a guy that did it. You look at what Stephen Gilmour did back in twenty nineteen. He was Defensive Player of the Year and that year he had six interceptions, only two of them returned for a touchdown. He had twenty pass defenses. In comparison, Bland has thirteen pass defenses, five interceptions, I mean sorry, six inter sections and five returns for such The Patriots win the Super.
Speaker 6: Bowl that year.
Speaker 9: Twenty nineteen, Was that right.
Speaker 6: Twenty nineteen?
Speaker 7: I don't remember.
Speaker 6: I'm trying to remember. I can't.
Speaker 4: They were in the hunt. That was when they were still I can't relevant Munch that was definitely the relevant but yeah, I think I do think that that's a part of it. Like you look at it, it's possible when you're having that much production, certainly when you got five pick sixes and it's a historic record, something that nobody else in the history of the league has ever done. I think that makes the case as much as anything else for him to win defensive player.
Speaker 7: Well, really, and in a couple of things.
Speaker 5: One, if you're having the defensive player for your conversation and you don't have Deryan Bland in it, you're telling on yourself the effect. But what what would be fun if would be if the NFL adopted something from MLB war I'm interested to see, like, for a player like Dron Bland, what would be his win over replacement right now? I think that would be a fun stat to kind of adopt at the NFL level. But again, to your point, there's just no way you can't have Durn that you don't have Deron Bland and your DPOI convers.
Speaker 4: At least in the conversation. Even if he doesn't win, he should be in the conversation. All right, we'll appreciate you guys.
Speaker 9: Twenty eighteen the last year, Yeah, eighteen.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they win the Super bowy Ov, they beat they beat the Rams and then the following your Kansas City beat San Francisco.
Speaker 4: All right, we'll appreciate you on us. We're back tomorrow. We'll jump into Seattle's defense versus the Cowboys offense till there's Patrick wafferd Walker brought us.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: I'm Derek Egleton has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio Belgia.
Speaker 11: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.