Speaker 1: Hey, and welcome to the Short Stuff. I'm Josh and there's Chuck and Jerry's sitting in for a date. So this is short stuff.
Speaker 2: Hit it, Chuck in a world where two dufases podcast. That's my imitation everybody of Don Lafontaine, And this is a bit of tribute to the man that was known as the voice of God, Don Lafontaine, the movie trailer guy.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's exactly what a lot of people call him, the movie trailer guy because he has to credit Chuck this eye popping number. I'm gonna take this one, Okay, Yeah, let's hear it. Over the course of his career, he recorded more than five thousand film trailers, oh man previews, five thousand previews, seven and fifty thousand television spots like commercials and promos and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: I bet Don Lafontaine when he passed away in two thousand and eight, I think thousand and eight was a very very rich man.
Speaker 1: I would think so, I would think so. And good for him, sure, I mean he did it with his own hard work. I mean, by the end of his life, he was working basically till the end. Yeah, and by the end of his life. He had built out a home office and was averaging seven voiceovers a day, which you if you don't do voiceovers, you're probably like, that doesn't seem like that much. I'd knock that out in like fifteen minutes. Yeah, no, you wouldn't, because it's actually surprisingly difficult, and if you're actually working with the professional company, they will make you do that over and over and over again, and it is quite it's quite awful. I don't recommend it. Yeahbody who doesn't love voiceover?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we read our audiobook and it was not fun. And this is two guys who talked for a living into a microphone and it was pretty painstaking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the director was even great.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, everyone did a great job. Everyone was awesome. It had nothing to do with that. It was just very monotonous. It just wasn't for us. You know, we're very off the cuff obviously the way we do our show, and did not transfer over to like exact readings of things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, like exact. It has to be exact or you'll get yelled at all.
Speaker 2: Right, So Don Lafontaine was born in Duluth, Minnesota. He served in the military and the well, he was in the army because he was in the United States Army Band and Chorus and worked as a recording engineer there, and once he got out, he continued engineering at the National Recording Studios in New York City, and in nineteen sixty two he got hooked up with a producer radio producer named Floyd Peterson, and Peterson just happened to be working with Stanley the Great Stanley Kuper Come Doctor Strangelove was creating these kind of radio promos and it was like really successful. So he and Lafontaine hooked up and said, all right, we should like be like legit partners from now on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they did legitimize that. They formed Floyd L. Peterson, Inc. And I think this is the impression I have is that initially Don la Fontaine just kept doing his engineering thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think so.
Speaker 1: It wasn't until nineteen sixty five, a few years into their partnership that I guess there was some scheduling mix up and a voiceover actor didn't show up on time or for their slot, so Don la Fontan had to step in and record some radio spots for the Gunfighters of Casa Grande for MGM, and MGM said, brother, we are just gonna buy this whole thing outright. This proof of concept is done. You invented the plane with the seatback trays and everything right out of the gate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're like, hey, you with a perfect voice, give this a shot.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 2: This is at a time when film production and promotion were all kind of done in house, like you made the movie and then you didn't go to a different company to like cut the trailer or whatever. Like they did it all themselves, right, And they were like, hey, I think we can disrupt this tradition. And they I don't know why that was funny. Why was that funny?
Speaker 1: Disruptors disruption? It's just such like a twenty thirteen horrible Silicon Valley horror show.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I wasn't thinking of it in the terms of disruptors, but they literally disrupted.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you're right, yeah, but no, no, I mean I wasn't laughing at you chose.
Speaker 2: No, No, I know you're laughing at people that used were disruptors with a straight face.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the disruptors themselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, sure, all right, so they were disruptors straight faced, and they said they kind of developed the modern movie trailer as we know it together. It was you know it was. It was a very creative time for them, and they were the first to create these like catchphrases that are now very ubiquitous across the trailer industry. And you know this example, I think this came from the New York Times Obituary or maybe sag aftra or Don Lafontaine dot com. But they listed some of these sort of catchphrases that are now just all over the place, like a one man army or nowhere to run, nowhere to hide and no way out. But of course in a world was the money slogan, and Lafontaine just kind of crystallized it when he was like, it's just a very rapid way to set the scene when you can say in a world where where violence rules, like that kind of says it all. And just a handful of words about what kind of movie you're about.
Speaker 1: To see, Yeah, because if a ninety minute movie is ideal to have like a nice, steady, crisp clip, yeah, a trailer has to be evening crisper, even at a steadier clip. You have to be able to, yeah, surmise a bunch of stuff from just a few words, and that was a I mean, that was a great innovation. I saw basically everywhere that he's the one that came up with that. He's certainly credited with. I get the impression no Hollywood historian has actually gone to the trouble of identifying that. Yes, he definitely was the one who pioneered it. Everybody's like, yeah, it was Don la Fontaine.
Speaker 2: Yeah all right, Uh, nice caveat, And we'll be back right after this with more on the Voice of God.
Speaker 1: As why why k.
Speaker 2: All right? So in a world is the kind kind of thing that has been parodied many, many times over the years. Like once it became so ubiquitous, every comedian latched onto it. They were in Geico commercials, The Simpsons movie like used Don Lafontaine and at the end, like Homer was talking back to Don Lafontaine as the voice of God and that was kind of fun. So obviously that's the kind of thing that's going to be parodied. But as far as his real career goes, we can go back to nineteen seventy six when he started his own production company, Don Lafontaine Associates, and his first assignment Out of the Gate was Godfather Part two, and two years later, Paramount Pictures said, hey, why don't you just come work for us and run our trailer department.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he said, katching, I'll be right there. Yes, I always loved your mountain logo. Yeah, me too, that that was such a great thing. At the beginning of Raiders of the Lost, art dissolves from the Paramount logo into the actual mountain.
Speaker 2: I knew you're going to say that. I just Disclosure Day the new Spielberg, and I highly recommend it.
Speaker 1: Okay, good. I saw back rooms in the theater twice within three days. Oh wow, I really liked it a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, did you see you twice just because you wanted to? Or you're like, oh I got to take you me back and see.
Speaker 1: This both of those?
Speaker 2: Okay, cool, Yeah, that's fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so but yes, I recommend that as well. I'll go see Disclosure Day. Yeah, you're the second group of people who recommended it.
Speaker 2: I'm a group. You are amazing.
Speaker 1: That's how important you are.
Speaker 2: All right. So he worked at Paramount for just a few years. Left in eighty one moved to la which is ironically where a Paramount is. And there was an agent named Steve Tisherman who said, hey, you should really like like he wasn't the voice of God, the voice of God yet in nineteen eighty one he were like, you should really just concentrate on this because you're so good at it. Sure, and that was it. That's when he really cemented his legacy as just the voiceover guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Real, quick question, Chuck, why does Steve Tisherman's name sound familiar? I did not get a chance to look him up, but I don't know. Is he like a legendary agent?
Speaker 2: I have no idea. Actually it didn't ring familiar to me.
Speaker 1: Okay, it did for me for some reason, maybe you know. But yes, don la Fontaine did become the king of voiceovers, the voice of God after about that time, starting in the eighties, he became the like the in house I guess, voice for all four of the networks in America plus the overlooked fifth one UPN.
Speaker 2: That's right, and TNT and TBS Cartoon Network. I mean, you can hardly name a brand without you know, mentioning Donden Lafontaine having voiced for them.
Speaker 1: You're not going to say all these brands that's funny.
Speaker 2: And then you know, he was sort of the in show announcer for award shows for the Academy Awards at times, and just you know, it was a heck of a career. And I love it when someone can find a niche like that and just like dominate it to that degree. It's really kind of fun.
Speaker 1: He definitely did dominate it, and not just dominate it, but also make fun of yourself too.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he had a great sense of humor.
Speaker 1: I feel like, Yeah, that Geico commercial, I went back and watched it, the one from two thousand and five. Yeah, it is so cute. There's this real Geico customer telling about like this story where they had to, like, you know, call Geico and you know, I guess make a claint that's the word I'm looking for sure. And it was just an average everyday story. So they hired Don la Fontaine to kind of movie it up, and so he was translating what the woman was saying. It was very cute. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I bet he made some good scratch from them too.
Speaker 1: I hope. So, man, he definitely deserved it. And by the way, if you are if you work in advertising for Geico, you guys have been killing it for the entire century so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think they always put out a pretty fun spot.
Speaker 1: Remember the Geico Caveman.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 1: Did you know that there was a short lived TV show featuring them? Can't remember that.
Speaker 2: He did it actually come out? I remember it was a yeah, okay, yeah. I didn't know if they actually made it to air, but I knew it. It was a thing. It was rough, Yeah, I mean that probably wasn't Some things are best leftist thirty minute or thirty second ads, you know, right, like most things. Probably.
Speaker 1: Yeah, America is very fickle, so this is well.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's surprising or not, because he kind of had that deep baritone. But he was an on and off smoker for a lot of his life and he had quit though for two solid decades. He did the right thing before he was admitted to Cedar Sinai very sadly in two thousand and eight with the pulmonary embolism. Was in critical condition the week after that, and his family was like, let's pray for Dawn, Like he needs to hear from everybody, And on September first, two thousand and eight, he passed at the age of sixty eight, ten days into his hospitalization, and he is interned at the fantastic legendary Hollywood Forever Cemetery, which is great.
Speaker 1: Which we did a whole short stuff on itself.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Apparently his last final performance was in a Phineas and ferb episode. I'm pretty sure, and I know it's a cartoon. I'm pretty sure it's Nickelodeon cartoon. The episode is the Chronicles of Meep if you want to go hear him. His final line was in a World there I said it happy. This is a great final line. And they put a little short tribute to him at the end of the episode, so good for them.
Speaker 2: I wonder if he has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, because he totally should.
Speaker 1: If he doesn't, then the Walk of Fame needs to get their act together.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm looking that up real quick because that was something that I meant to look up earlier.
Speaker 1: Well, hold on, while you're looking that up, let me mention there's a twenty thirteen movie written and directed by Lake Bell. Oh yeah, called a World, and it's about like the voiceover World. I guess. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I haven't seen it. Have you seen it?
Speaker 2: I have not seen that movie, but I'm a fan of Blake Bell from Children's Hospital. Uh, And I've just learned. And of course I don't know if this is right or not. The AI overviews are so bad it's hysterical.
Speaker 1: Sometimes let me just make something.
Speaker 2: Up because that says no. But then I'm seeing a picture of him with a star, so maybe yes. Yesterday I asked, uh, whatever the stupid assistant in my house is, uh, because I wasn't sure if Ireland had made the World Cup this year? And I said Ireland in the World Cup and it said no, Ireland is an Ireland.
Speaker 1: God.
Speaker 2: Wow, yeah, not a joke. Wow, pretty unbelievable.
Speaker 1: At least it acknowledge that Ireland exists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's making everything better.
Speaker 1: Right sure? Yeah, but like by this all.
Speaker 2: Right, So I'll do some real research and see if he has that star on the Walk of Fame and I'll report back later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because ironically, the AI assistant could be right because another AI program created a fake picture of him on with the star. Yeah, what a time to be alive.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: That's it. I guess short stuff's out right short Stuff's Out.
Speaker 2: Stuff you Should Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts
Speaker 1: Or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.