Speaker 1: Cool Zone Media, Hello, and welcome to Cool People Did Cool Stuff, your weekly reminder that not everything that people have done in history is bad. Sometimes people do good things, usually against the bad things. I'm your host, Margaret Kildoy, and with me today is my guest Samantha McVay.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: Hi, you're host of the also stuff related podcast Stuff Mom never told you. Very good.
Speaker 3: I am a host of that show. How are you? It's been so long?
Speaker 1: I know it has been way too long. I'm okay. I had a lot. Everyone's like, this bitch hasn't been on me. I'm this bitch hasn't been on the show for like weeks because I took a vacation, and so now I'm back and I love it.
Speaker 3: I feel like I've been at the beginning. I was at your first episode, which wasn't supposed to happen because but then we had that whole like the world is awful and Rob Wade shot down essentially, and I was on, and then I felt like I came back on not too long after. I feel like it's a yearly thing, and I loved that tradition because I get to see you at least once a year, which is not enough.
Speaker 1: But it's I'm I'm glad I get to see you at all, and that is Zoom is the main way I came with my friends. I have a totally normal social life on the mountain that I live on. Uh, you know.
Speaker 3: What, I'm in Atlanta and I don't get out either, so it's okay, yeah, fair, I'm with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like having the excuse. You know. It's like I used to like traveling in countries where I didn't speak the language, partly because I could just like sit at dinner with like ten people around and have no idea what NAMEE was talking about. But I like understood why I felt left out. Whereas when I go sit at a table with like ten people and everyone speaking this language I speak, I'm like, it's cool, I don't know how to socialize this.
Speaker 3: Fine, Yes, that's the awkwardness of being at either situation gives me anxiety either way, So I'm like, why why just stay at home? Just stay at home?
Speaker 1: That's fair? Well, also with us on this Zoom call is the one and only producer I've ever had on this show, and I won't hear any word otherwise. Scharene sure y, Hi Markt Hi, Samantha.
Speaker 2: Wow, I love this trio.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Sarine, It's been also a very long time, and I feel like we're also on a timeline because I believe the first time we met it was around February before, right before the pandemic.
Speaker 2: You're not wrong. It was in twenty nineteen. I'm pretty sure it was twenty nineteen, but I'm not sure what the month was. Yeah, it's a pretty yearly interaction. You'll only exist once a year.
Speaker 3: That's okay, that's the way I like it. Please don't know. I'm a year except for that one time a year, and hopefully it's for good shows like these.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you'll like this this week's episode.
Speaker 2: I think I think this is a Samantha episode.
Speaker 1: I'm excited. I'm excited.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm so excited. Whenever you say that, I get so excited because I know, first of all, you know me, and I love that bit of me. And then also because with all the world being awful, I loved to hear what you're going to tell me because I know there's some badass people, but I'm going to be so excited about that.
Speaker 1: Is the main thing that I hold on to with the fact that everything is awful is that the types of people that I talk about on the show are still here, and people become those people when bad things happen. One of our cool people is Danel, our audio engineer. I nice Hi Hi Daniel. Everyone's to say hi to Danel.
Speaker 2: Sorry for cat raises.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sorry for all they editing. Our theme music was written for us by unwoman, So saman the last time we had you, not last time, the first time we had you on. We talked about abortion access and it was right before the house of cards called Roe v. Wade fell down. That should not have been a house of cards because the Democratic Party never did anything to short up since it's precarity has been and continues to be one of the only ways they can get anyone to vote for an outdated capitalist party that essentially no one under the age of forty actually supports true story. That's my I like it.
Speaker 3: I'm over forty, but I also am.
Speaker 1: Too, honestly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We talked about the Jain Collective, primarily a group of women in Chicago who, coming out of socialist feminist traditions, set up a network that provided illegal abortions safely for years. We talked about a bunch of other abortionists. During the era of illegality in the United States, no one writes the word abortionists. I have a feeling I'm using like a word that people aren't supposed to use. I think you're supposed to say abortion providers, because like abortionists is like a bad word. But I'm kind of like, whatever, it shouldn't be a bad word. It's people who provide. Like, that's great.
Speaker 3: Exactly you say. I don't know if I've ever heard it, but I like that you're saying it. Okay, great, it might be maybe it's just old timey. I hope it's just old timey. If you're listening and you are an abortion provider and don't want to be called an abortionist, I'm kind of sorry. I actually am sorry, because I think you're doing something incredibly brave and important. Anyway, this week, I've got two more stories for you about two different places and times. Vymar Germany, which was the brief period where Germany was a republic between World War One and the rise of the Nazis, and then those decades in the US, the brief golden era of the US when the US is a republic, you know, when when abortion was legal in all fifty states in.
Speaker 1: The United States.
Speaker 3: Oh got cha. I was like that what when? Oh?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I like it between Roe v. Wade and the now Yeah the now. Yeah. So we're gonna talk about vymar Germany. We're gonna talk about California, two places that punk's write songs about. I have no other connections to draw between these two places. Good connection, both have punk No. Vymar Germany, well, they were pretty punk anyway whatever. Bymar Germany Okay, okay, bymar Germany was a wild place, like do you know much about I don't know how cultural zeitgeist vymar Germany is.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, I would not know. I do not know, And I'm right for those because I'm like who win when?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, let's go. So this is the era of like Cabaret, like that movie. This is the era of like Weimar. Germany was a really wild place in one of the most interesting times and places in history. It was incredibly progressive and incredibly politically engaged in all kinds of directions, and it is, you know, basically nineteen twenties Germany. It's nineteen eighteen to nineteen thirty three. Okay, everyone was fucking starving, and everyone was fucking traumatized. They had just lost this war that they shouldn't have been in, and it's kind of their fault, but wasn't What wasn't like the random german on the street's fault, you know, right right, and during the nineteen twenties, so it's like famous for all the like well cabaret culture and all the like decadent art type stuff that's happening in a collapsing society, right, But there's also this wild political fighting going on between anarchist communists, social democrats, monarchists, and fascists. Like all of these different groups are like, no, I'm going to be in charge. Now, I'm gonna be in charge, and they're all getting into fights in the street about it. Culture was blooming. You have the first LGBT research center and gender affirming care facility in Western history, including like the first gender a firming surgeries for trans women and things like that which happened at the Institute for Sex Research, which if people want to hear more about, they can go and listen to our episode about gay resistance to Nazis. We talk all about that place and time. It's real neat except for the fact that I think this is a little bit more commonly known. You know how like all the famous photos of Nazis burning books, all of those photos are of them burning books about transness basically, and like LGBT stuff because they torched the world's first LGBT resource center. Anyway. Yeah, that's the fun part of like all of histories, is a dance between action and reaction and like positive and negative forces, and like I hate to think of things dualistically, but there's like bad stuff and there's people who fight the bad stuff.
Speaker 2: It's almost like they went too far to the left or to good and they had to ricochet all the way to bad, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Which is what I'm afraid is what's happening right now in the units.
Speaker 3: I just want to say, I feel like we're playing we're playing that out they play out right now.
Speaker 1: In the US. So yeah, basically, they're like and everywhere, what do you mean gay people can get married and we let like people of other you know, races and ethnicities like co exist peacefully. Can't have that? How dare you? It was in its way, The Viimar Republic was in its way, very progressive society, but the laws hadn't necessarily caught up yet with society's viewpoints. Birth control and abortion were both illegal. Abortion was illegal everywhere in the Western world at this point except for the USSR. The Revolution legalized abortion, and then Stalin was like just kidding and got rid of it. But during this period abortion is legal in the USSR. And so you've always awesome folks living in Germany. You also have clearly less awesome folks who are going to take power in about ten years and they're like, well, how do we have abortions and talk about birth control when it's illegal? Who will do these crimes with and for us? Elsewhere in the Western world, at least in the US, where I've done more research about it, the answer to who will organize crime is usually organized crime right kind of famously in the US for decades, probably at least a century, if you wanted an abortion, you went to a mafia doctor. Even the Jain collective, who we all love as heroes, their first doctors were almost certainly mafia. And don't want to conjecture too hard with people who are still alive. Also, we talked about on our Stonewall episode and this is really just this whole episode is just to like go back and listen all these other episodes. We talk on the Stonewall episode about how the old gay clubs were mafia run back in the day. So like most places, the mafia was the one providing the services that people needed and were not available legally. Right, there's another group that's really good at organizing crime. You ever heard of a narco syndicalism?
Speaker 3: No, please explain?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, like one time, when I first became an anarchist, I went and I was like hanging out with my family and they're like, well, what do you believe? And I was like, well, have you ever heard of syndicalism? And everyone like turns to my grandfather, who's like the like wise old man or whatever you know, and he like looks really deep in thought and he rubs his chin and he goes, Now, there's a word I haven't heard in a very long time.
Speaker 3: Real ominous.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So syndicalism, it's a worker's movement. It still exists. Syndicalism is a worker's movement that believes in forming workers' power through unionism, through forming unions, right, and it's as a way to build a better society. It's like not reformist unionism and arcosyndicalism, which is a very large branch of the syndicalist movement in many countries, is the majority of it many countries. It's not many countries, syndicalism is more communist and arcosyndicalism believes in doing syndicalism in order to create a society without capitalism in the state, where like workers' councils collectively create society and fit form all of our needs and things like that, and arcosyndicalists have this like from a labor movement point of view, they have this reputation as like the wild radicals, right, who are a little too into direct action and they all hate voting and shit, you know. For the rest of the anarchist movement, they're like kind of bureaucratic and boring, is the sort of reputation that they have because they're very organized. Okay, so they're perfect for this role. The union part gives them the organizational skills, the anarchist part gives them the affinity for crime. So in Weimar Germany, abortions were done by lay organizations, that is, they were done by not doctors, not even like clinics necessarily, and these organizations, they weren't branded as an arcosyndicalist, but their leadership and their organizing principles came from that part of the labor movement. Basically, the women and sometimes men of the anarchosyndicalist movement were like, well, here's a need, we know how to organize crime at large scale. That's what we do usually it strikes and sabotage and things like that. And then they left off the branding of like anarchism and syndicalism because this was about reproductive health first and foremost. And so they set up all these organizations and I'm just like, I'm now off script. I'm so fucking interested by this because there's like, well, I'll just okay, I'll just get into it. This organization was done on a fucking massive scale, Like I'm not I love Jaane Collective right right, that's like one city and one clinic right. In nineteen thirty alone, these lay organizations performed a million abortions in Germany in one year.
Speaker 3: Damn.
Speaker 1: There was roughly one hundred and fifty thousand people in these organizations. They worked out of two hundred locations. Wow, there was two hundred Jane collectives right right that were syndicated together. They were unionized together. About fifteen thousand people were like the really active participants. I ran across both the one hundred and fifty and the fifteen thousand numbers. I'm under the impression one hundred and fifty thousand is the like the broader overall activist support, and fifteen thousand would be like people who are like more directly like, this is what they do, you know, they're very active.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they I'm a still high number, I know.
Speaker 1: And what they did they weren't just like, hey were the abortion organization, right. What they did was that they were like, hey, we're the following minor crime organization. We are the sex education and birth control organization. We pass out contraceptives, We hold meetings where we talk about birth control, which is all like illegal and shit, but it's it's like kind of illegal. It's like, ah, ah, you caught me. I was given out condoms again. Ah, I'm not bad. Yeah, but it's not really a secret that this above ground but still a llegal organization was where people went when they needed abortions. They also didn't charge money for abortions. Oh wow, a million fucking I just for ten years, one hundred and fifty thousand people came together to organize the entire country's abortion service illegally, safely and free. Theyized they used anarchist organizing principles and anarchist organizers, but they didn't label their organization as an anarchist thing, and not everyone engaged with it would have identified as an anarchist right, And it's fucking like unknown it at least in English language.
Speaker 3: Shit.
Speaker 1: I learned about this a year and a half ago when I was actually doing research for the episode that I did with you last time. I found the like one sentence version that was like, oh, and by the way, there was like two hundred clinics doing a million abortions a year in Germany that the syndicalists were running. And I'm like, can you can you tell me more about this thing? That's more impressive than anything I've ever read in history?
Speaker 3: That it performed over a million abortions? Yeah, how long did they exist?
Speaker 1: So we'll talk a little bit about but it's like I think that they ebbed and flowed. We're talking about roughly nineteen twenty four to nineteen thirty three.
Speaker 3: Wow, that long. That's pretty impressive. I know that's not that long in real time, but in my head, for an organization like this, with an issue like that, it seemingly is a little longer than I would have assumed for underground or aimation.
Speaker 1: Like this totally, and so I spent the past year and a half trying to find out more information about this fucking thing. There is one seven page paper written about it in English by Deeter Nell's called it does not have a very entertaining name. It's called anarcho syndicalism in the sexual reform movement in the Weimar Republic.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's on the nose, right right to the point.
Speaker 1: Let's go. Yeah, Germans tend to be very literal namors.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay. So we talk a lot about abortion and birth control in this show, about people fighting for the right to control their own bodies and their own reproduction. What's interesting that we have to wrap our heads around every single time we try and cover any of these issues, Like, for example, when we try and cover like trans issues, you can't just be like, oh, in eighteen eighty there's this translating and mean the same thing that you mean when you say in twenty twenty four, right, because our social conceptions around these things, around sex and gender and all kinds of things are constantly shifting, and people are fighting for bodily autonomy, but how people frame that fight changes over time, and it hasn't always been the same. I'm kind of curious when in your work with like because you all did, I mean, you all did a Jane episode, And I'm just kind of curious, like how much you when you talk about like old feminism, how often do you have to engage in and talk about eugenics and like how big of a problem this was in the old feminist movement.
Speaker 3: Right in general, when we talk about intersectionality and we have to talk about the ugly parts of this, especially today when we talk about white feminism and what that looks like, and of course eugenics can be under that as well. We kind of understand the background of planned parenthood and the conversations we have about that because we praise planned parenthood, but we also know that there's some ugliness, as we talked about previously, yeah as well, So overall, like, yes, we talk about the dark side of all of it, which makes us kind of bad guys to everyone. And I say we Annie and I who is the other co host, because I have been called out for saying things that they feel are offensive because they don't want to be associated with that type of feminism when in actuality it still is so when we talk about like abortion rights, but then when we talk about sterilization against the people women of color specifically, and what that looks like and why they did it, people don't really want to hear that truth because they don't want to face the fact that, yes, this is an argument against abortion rights in a way, not really, but it can be turned to that point that we've had this many conversation, but we have to be understanding and sensitive to the fact that when it comes to reproductive rights, we're talking about every part of it being right, whether it is choosing to have a child or choosing to abort a fetus, like those are two different things, but the same side of the coin type of thing, I guess, so we talk about it in realms of yes, we're uncomfortable because for me, even though I'm a woman of color, I'm also you know, very headonormative sis gender in that level. So I have to talk about being uncomfortable when it comes to talking about LGBTQ rights in general or any queer rights in general. But like I'm now just having this long dip about this, but because it's not simple. It is simple, and it isn't simple when it comes to the fact that people want to bend what they think is their true rights or true beliefs. And now oftentimes sometimes if you're a person who have any type of privilege, then that means that you are taking advantage you could be you're probably taking advantage of someone else who are in the marginalized community when you do these things.
Speaker 1: Does that make sense that yeah, no, no, no, it makes sense because like you think that your frame with which you understand things is the correct one and the only one, the universal frame, especially when you are in the like when you are in the privileged position you are presented when you are the default of something, right as like a as like a white person, I am the default, but as a trans woman I am not the default of that. You know. But you know what else is really uncomfortable being supported by advertisers on an anti capitalist show. So that thank you, Transition So here's some of those unless you have cooler zone media, in which case your money went directly into my dog's football and you don't have to hear ads. But here they are anyway, and we're back.
Speaker 3: I'm still laughing at that transition, thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay. So one of the things that I really struggle with talking about kind of what you're talking about is is that we have to talk about the unfortunate opinions that many early birth control pioneers had about eugenics. And we also have to talk about how eugenics wasn't necessarily always a right wing talking point. It was an everyone talking point for decades, which doesn't make it okay. Is the thing that we you basically have this dark half a century between Darwin is like, evolution is real, and then people realize watching the nazis just like hammer home what eugenics is like really about At the end right the day, you know, that space in between is full of people in the right, left and center being like, wouldn't it be cool if we could kind of use evolution to like make everything better? You know? And there's this thing that happens that I've ran across while researching this episode where people try to distance the historical eugenics movement, which they will call the part that believes that only the fittest should reproduce, and then the population control movement, which aims to bring down the overall population through birth control, but not in a targeted way as much as I've ever read, and I think that that, Okay, this difference comes after World War Two and people start making that difference. But before then, everyone, including the people who don't want to believe that they're acting racistly or ablistically or whatever, are using the word eugenics to describe what they want, and they meant it in a very positive way for whatever thing that they were trying to do. And the reason I want to talk about it is because, Okay, so over the years, states feudal, capitalist and socialist have all gone to great lengths to control our bodies and our reproduction in whatever direction that they want. At that time, when the USSR legalized abortion, they were the first Western state to do so in nineteen twenty, and it was in part because they were like, hell, yeah, we believe in communism, inequality, and everyone's going to be able to make their own choices, right. But a lot of it was because everyone was fucking starving, so choosing to not have kids was seen as something that you would do in solidarity with society at large. So they wanted to make it possible to act in solidarity with society at large. And if that is your own decision, If someone listening is like, I think that's too many people in the world and they decided not to have kids, that's great. Deciding that other people shouldn't get to have kids because you think there's too many people in the world, or the state mandates it, that's when it gets real fucking bad. Right by the time Stalin got his claws into it, it's not quite just like early Bolsheviks were kind of okay, and then Stalin was a man of evil even though whatever. Anyway, people can hear my opinion, my negative opinions about even the regular Bolsheviks that are but whatever. By this time Stalin gets his hands into things. Abortion was not only outlawed, but incentives were put into place to encourage people to have large families, because having lots of kids was something you should do in solidarity with society at large, and so the state wants to control whether people do or don't have kids. But the lever it's using is class solidarity. The lever it's using is like be you know, care about the rest of the world right to me? You can just cut through all this bullshit by being like, hey, a person who's pregnant gets to decide if that's a condition that they want to continue to have. Like that is just the larger social conditions can influence it one way or the other. But at the end of the day, our bodies are choice. It's a good slogan, we can stick with it. But the thing that in order to understand these German abortion providers, and also to understand folks were going to talk about in the sixties and seventies coming out of like Black Power movement and all these other kind of places, people weren't thinking about it necessarily in the same frame. We have to look at things through people's own framing, own lenses in order to understand them. Two influences on people's framing about how they feel about abortion are religion, which we'll talk about later, and class consciousness. So in Weimar, Germany as its famous hedonism and all this shit, but culture wasn't a political People were thinking very consciously about what they do as it relates to these political questions, and specifically, the question of class struggle was like the fucking question in Europe and like the I don't know nineteen oughts to the nazis fucking changing everything in a real negative way. That's my rant. So people tended not to see themselves solely as individuals, but also as actors within larger social frameworks like the working class or the communist party, or the anarchist movement, or the fascist movement or the monarchy, whatever the fuck right. People thought of themselves as part of a whole in a lot of ways. And I'm going to quote this German anarchist synthelist Max Winkler, who wrote in a pamphlet as a birth control pamphlet that a union was distributing all workers. Organizations are concerned almost exclusively with economic and political issues. Both the parties and the unions view the issue of sex as being insignificant, irrelevant. There once was a time when it was considered unrespectable to publicly address problems concerning sexual relations, and yet it is so tremendously important that the sexual issue be addressed without any trace of reticence, just as the hunger issue for hunger and love are the two polls around which all human life and drive revolve. These two issues are so closely entwined that it is hardly possible to discuss one without considering the other. And so this was an introduction to a birth control pamphule that has union, the Free Workers' Unions of Germany, was publishing in the nineteen twenties. More prominent still than that union was a SYNDICALUS union called the Syndicalless Women's Union, which again very literal namers. That's what it was a union of You.
Speaker 3: Knew they were.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that's true. I will give them that. Like not everything should be like Prairie Fire or whatever.
Speaker 3: That's the writer in you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I know, which is funny because I ended up naming my podcast cool People did cool stuff. But I you know, I like that name too. I feel like as it's a good name. Yeah, you're your podcast name is similar enough that I think you know where I'm coming from. You know.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I think it's perfect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a saint.
Speaker 3: I like it. It's cold things, cold people, let's go.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So the Cynicalist Women's Union. Their primary social issue was sexual health and reproductive rights. As Milli wick Top put it, the advancement of the intellectual development of women could not be possible without the liberation from the slavery of child bearing. And so how this ties into the like this larger class consciousness question is that they were pushing for a child bearing strike. They were basically it was like a way, it was an attempt at like a women's strike. It was attempt at I don't know, it's complicated, and we'll get into it more in a little bit. But first, someone to talk about Millie, because Millie's really cool. And also I think the first person named Millie that we've featured on this show, I like it. This is a nice name. Goody. Milli was cool as shit. She and her siblings, including another anarchist feminist birth control activist named Rose Witcop, They made the mistake of being born in Ukraine in the eighteen seventies and eighteen eighties as Jews. So they were like, this isn't the best time and place to be us. We don't want to be here anymore. So when Milly was sixteen years old, she moves by herself to London, worked in a sweatshop to save enough money to get her three sisters and her parents to London away from the pograms that were happening in Ukraine. Like, I can't imagine me at sixteen doing any of those things successfully. She could have quit right then and been a fucking hero as far as I'm concerned. And there's so many, you know, I mean, obviously the world is full of these stories, but they're all fucking amazing stories. There's people who help their families escape from very bad situations and that is an amazing thing to do. But she kept going. She joined a Jewish anarchist newspaper, The Worker's Friend, which was the widest circulation Yiddish language newspaper in England at that time, at least according to one thing I read another thing. Whatever. Anyway, I had this problem when everything's like, oh this is the biggest, or this was the first, or this.
Speaker 3: Was oh yeah, I'm like, That's something that we talk about on our show a lot, because we actually have a series about a female first type of episodes, but we always have to put the caveat it's you don't know who's controlling the narrative. You don't know what's been hidden, what's not been discovered yet, and so everything's under a caveat of what seems like a first but that could change at any moment, and they are most likely other people who've already done it, and probably people who are marginalized and are not going to ever get credit.
Speaker 1: Just to a reminder, no, totally. Like I've started making the joke of every time I'm like the first time this happened in the world, I'm like the Western world, specifically Europe. It was the first time it happened in Europe that we know about, that we know about, but anyway, whatever, this wide circulation Yiddish language newspaper in England called The Worker's Friend and it was built around a larger group called the Worker's Friend Group, which was basically just people working together to provide mutual aid and care for like this poor immigrant, you know, anarchist worker population. She meets this fellow named Rudolph Rocker and they hook up. They get fake hitched, common law hitched in leftist feminist tradition at the time, they refused to get legally married. And I was very excited as soon as whenever I hear someone like Rudolf Rocker is more famous than her, normally other he's going to live in her shadow. During this episode, I was very excited to notice that he's only like three years older than her, because whenever I hear about like oh and then this man with a beard, I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, ah, fuck, twenty years Oh okay, no.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, she's like nineteen, he's like twenty two or whatever, like except it's completely fine. I have nothing. I've learned nothing negative about this man through his relationship with her. He's going to be a main character of one of these days. He's going to be mostly in the shadow of his partner and his sister in common in law today. But the time that we brought him up before was his speeches and the anarchist unionism in the early twentieth century in London that he promoted led to the connection between the Irish, Catholic and Jewish working class that about twenty years later came together to smash the ever loving shit out of British Fascism at the Battle of Cable Street. And it was directly just to retell like one of my favorite stories in history. Basically, like, while the Irish stock workers were starving because they were on strike, and the Jewish textile workers had just resolved their strike. The Jewish textile workers took in the poor starving Irish kid who couldn't afford food at home, and like watched them for like five years or like however long for the strike to resolve. I don't I don't have this script in front of me. And so then later when the fascists were like, hey, Irish, you're like basically white unlike those Jews, am I right? The Irish were like fuck you. They fed me when I was twelve, you know, and then they had like just organized together and beat the shit out of these fascists. Anyway, I love it. And that's how Rudolph Rocker came up last time, and it's just one of my favorite stories. I want to tell it every chance again.
Speaker 3: It's a good name to go with it too.
Speaker 1: I know. Rocker is like a fucking yeah, yeah, yeah, it really is. And so he was this German dude. He had been raised Catholic, but he learned Yiddish because he wanted to organize as an anarchist and a lot of places in the early twentieth century, in late late nineteenth century and meant you learned Yiddish. I think he did it to impress Millie, is my best guess. Yes, yes, the two tried to move to New York City in eighteen ninety eight, but they were turned away and deported like literally back on the same ship that they came in on, because they weren't married and refused to get married, and they since they didn't let the state sanction their love, they were deported. And this became this like the newspapers and shit covered it, not in this like what the fuck why didn't we let these people in? But instead this like scandal about those fucking leftists who won't get married.
Speaker 3: Yees living in sin, Yeah, trying to pollute the states.
Speaker 1: What I know, I know would their sin? How care they The main tie into Milly with this whole thing is that later she's going to go start these unions in Germany, the Women's Cyneclist Union and stuff. But she lived this wild ass life. She goes back to London, right because she's not allowed to move to the US. She and her partner edited two Yiddish newspapers. There's The Political Worker's Friend and then there's a more cultural one called Germinal and during World War One they ran a soup kitchen together because everyone's like just fucked and starving, and basically anner because I've been doing food out bombs forever. And then first her partner and then she got locked up for opposing the war World War One. When they got out, they were like, all right, fuck London, let's go to Berlin. That seems kind of cool right now. Right it's nineteen eighteen or so, and they're like, Berlin's suddenly the Weimar Republic and it's really cool. They're like they get invited to help go start in arcosiniclist unions and they're like, that sounds like our jam. So they do and they helped form the FOUD the Workers whatever, blah blah blah, and Millie helped start not only Berlin Women's Union but also the Syndicalists Women's Union to unite all of the local and arcos Syndicalists women's unions. She hung out there until nineteen thirty three when the Reichstag fire happened, and she was like, I like, really shouldn't be in Germany right now. It seems like a really bad idea for me as a very prominent Jewish anarchist, right, so she dipped. Her husband comes with her. I mean it probably wasn't good for him either, but you know he was German at least, or I mean whatever anyway, And so they moved to an anarchist commune in upstate New York, where they continued to be cool for decades and just organize. After World War II, the whole commune constantly put together aid packets for the anarchists in Germany who had somehow survived the fucking war. And she lived to be seventy eight. She died in nineteen fifty five, and just did so fucking much. Her sister Rose stayed in London and published anarchist feminist text about birth control and kept getting interested for it and was cool too. But back to Germany and the Weimar Crime ring, and by that I mean back to ad break time. Now go and we're back. We're talking about vymar Germany, all right. So you have these syndicluss unions. They're distributing information about birth control, pushing for this child burying strike basically, we won't have kids until conditions approve. And the social Democrats were on this too, just credit where it's due. Radicals would write pamphlets with names like how can we promote to the cultural decline of births as far back as nineteen thirteen, and this pamphlet sold thirty one thousand copies. And this is kind of what I'm talking about, that framing and how it's so important to understand it from their perspective. You know, it's sketchy and all of the like trying to control who gets to have kids goes really badly, but it's like worth seeing where they're coming from about it. The ideas that birth control can be a proletarian weapon because the sheer replaceability of workers and soldiers was part of why conditions were so bad. In a very similar way as it also was a feminist move in which like this is like in the same way that like workers will, the one thing we can withhold is our labor right from the class, A lot of different feminist perspectives are like, well, the thing that we can withhold is well, reproductive labor is the most annoying misidea mislabeled Marxist term of all times. But they can withhold having children, which doesn't count as reproducive labor because anyway, whatever fucking complicated as terms not written by women. Clearly maybe it was I don't know, Fewer workers meant less competition for the same jobs, and it also meant that both women and workers felt like they had more control if they pushed this line. I also think that they mostly just were like, I don't want to have kids right now, and like I kind of want a fuck, but like, so what if we just find a way to make that happen. And then we're like, yeah, it's like for the revolution or something, am I right? And they're like, yeah, totally, you're cute, Hans, get over here with your mustache. And so they started getting talks left and right, these like women's unions, right, and they're finding that sometimes women would come and like they would join the union just long enough to get I think you have to be a member to come to them. So they joined long enough to get like the free condoms and the advice about how to not get kids, and then they would dip, which is like, yeah, fair, whatever what do you expect.
Speaker 3: For there for the party favors? And then they're gonna exactly get what they need. Let me get those thanks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like it hasn't gone to an activist meeting for the snacks, I mean.
Speaker 3: Also the snacks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and at the beginning, there's one other group distributing birth control, and they're not doing it for free, the condom manufacturers or the I don't specifically know that it's condoms, but I believe it's condoms, because again there's not a lot of information the birth control implements or whatever, which I assume by this point because the I have like eight times because of the show, like looked up when the condom came into common use, and it was a while before this anyway, there were clever loopholes and laws that said birth control could be discussed behind closed doors, and so they would have like these closed door meetings. But by nineteen twenty three, in nineteen twenty four, it's no longer the businesses, and it's no longer the unions. It is now these lay organizations that I was talking about. They take over as the companies back off. They don't actually the unions don't back off. The unions become these lay organizations. The Free Workers of Germany founded a group called the vsl or Association for Sexual Hygiene and Life Reform and they were like, we swear it's a totally separate group. It's totally not just our union, like we promise, And the cops were like, no, this is quote an association closely connected with the Syndicalists, which recruited its members primarily from such circles, so they're not fool in anyone. In nineteen twenty eight, the VSL and other lay organizations come together and form a union of lay organizations called the Reich Association of Birth Control and Sexual Hygiene. I think Reich in this case doesn't mean anything sketchy, and it stands for r V, or rather r V is what it is abbreviated as. And this group is strictly neutral in regards to politics and religion. But we all know where it came from. And the elected chairman was a member of the Synthicalist Union, and they ran sexual counseling centers all over the country in more than two hundred locations, teaching sex education, distributing contraceptives, and performing abortions. Very few physicians in Germany at the time would fuck with abortions. So this is why, like in a lot of other places, it's like crime doctors, but they're like doctors, or they're pretending to be doctors, or they perform the role of doctors, but that's not there. They're not licensed or whatever, you know. But overall in Germany, the physicians weren't fucking with it. Either they were anti choice or they were anti I go to jail now. And so lay people trained in the performance of abortions. To quote Hans Schmidtz whose parents were anarchists, and he's just like describing what he saw as a kid, father was active in the League, the local lay organization, the League for the Protection of Mothers and Social Family Hygiene, because why would you name your group anything other than that? Back to the quote, Secretly the League also aided women in getting abortions. There were several women who could be called upon when abortion was to be performed. My mother had quite a bit of experience in this and was one of these women. Naturally, we were not allowed to be around, but the apartment was so small and it could not be concealed from us. A couple of times my mother sent me to fetch doctor b. He came when there were complications, and unfortunately for any listeners who are considering this, running a massive crime ring does have some negative consequences. Oh no, I would argue overall, it's worth I'm not doing it anyone listening. I'm not doing it.
Speaker 3: Says Margaret on a major podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but anyway. A woman whose name is only given as Albrecht so I'm guessing last name, from the Anarcho Syndicalist Union was sentenced to three years in nineteen thirty after this big national scandal show trial. She'd performed more than one hundred abortions for the local chapter of the league. Luis Witch got eighteen months in nineteen thirty three. I suppose you could call it a witch trial, unless I'm mispronouncing that name, in which case you shouldn't. The chairman of the RV was sentenced to prison at one point. I'm not sure how long he went to prison. And you ever heard that depressing thing where? Okay, so like the Nazis came to power, this is the main depressing thing. They killed a fuck ton of people, right, and they put a lot of people in these camps right famously, and some of the people they put in were in for being gay. And then after everyone was liberated, the gay prisoners had to stay in jail because what they had done was illegal before the Nazis too. You ever heard that it's a terrible fun thing.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: I had never heard that. Wait, they stayed in the camps or they just went to a different place. I think some people were like literally in the same place. But they did not get free. The gay prisoners did not get free after the liberation of And this was true for both Soviet controlled and allied or Western wow US controlled I don't know the word for the Allies, who aren't the Soviets the capitalist powers, well they're all capital anyway.
Speaker 1: Whatever. So one of these abortion rights activists, these three that I've mentioned, have gone to jay or just a tiny percentage of it. They're the ones that this paper is specifically. The only thing I found about it was like, here's what the syndicalists were doing. So this is like the three syndicalists that this guy knew. But at least one of the other abortion providers or activists spent time in Nuremberg after the war, charged with abortion and was not freed because see what he had done, whether she or what they had done, was a crime. But again, million abortions a year, saving so many lives, just countless lives. These women performing these abortions. They were quote no Bunglers, according to the paper, or the paper is quoting a person who saw it happen. They knew what the fuck they were doing, and they did it for free and go ahead.
Speaker 3: I feel like that was just like a phrase, you know, like how he like a cool phrase they had to say during the time. They're like, no, no, they're for real, They're for real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, totally. I can't wait till it swings back around again and someone is like listening and they're.
Speaker 3: Like, no, they weren't bungling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're like. Man in early twenty first centuryone was like that person's for real, But what they meant is they weren't a Bungler exactly.
Speaker 3: I want that happened quickly.
Speaker 1: I feel like culture moves fast enough that it will happen while we're alive and we'll be like, what the fuck is happening, Get off my lawn exactly.
Speaker 3: Like I feel that way in general. When I'm like watching the fashions, I'm like I definitely had that dress, yeah, absolutely in eighth grade and they're wearing that Yeah, am I gonna do with myself.
Speaker 1: Well, who they're already past the nostalgia for when I as a kid, Like, they're already past nineties nostalgia, right they are? Anyway, Like it's if anyone's listening and they're on my own, get off it here, you damn kids. Maybe that phrase is outdated. Who fucking knows? Probably?
Speaker 3: All right, wait, can't we control that says we're the ones calling anyway?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we create the culture now we're anyway we do not. Yeah, but speaking of the culture, this isn't an ad transition. Uh. The culture that they were building is a fascinating one. And it's one of these things where things people are like our generation acts like it in vented polyamory. Right. For the German and archosyndicalists, women's liberation and sexual autonomy was not just a theory. They had vivid conversations all the time, and they were also just fucking And there were plenty of women who were like, we believe in free love, but it actually needs to be love. All these fucking shitty, horny men are trying to use these political put points just to fucking run, and we think that sucks. There were, of course also women who were doing the same thing too. But it's interesting to me because it mirrors these discussions I've read about late sixties discourse and how HIPPI men were like one hundred percent down with women's liberation on two specific issues, abortion access and birth control, anything that reduced their responsibility and to increase their access sexual access to women. Hippi men were a lot less consistent about their support of other feminist causes for some weird person surprise. So it's just enoughing ever changes moment for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say a lot of these things are happening today as we've seen, well, new organizations pop up as well, but the whole like going on strike from giving birth is actually familiar as well. But Korea and Japan have been doing that as of late too. That's why the birth rate and everybody's really really coodert because the women have had enough. They're like, fuck this, I don't want children, y'all don't give us enough pay, and all you want to do is make us suffer. We're not doing this anymore. But it's very similar to that level. I'm like, interesting, and the government's like, please, for the love of Jesus, will give you more money, have a baby.
Speaker 1: I mean it makes sense to me. Like, I remember my older sister is a very strong feminist. I'm very lucky. My whole family is very very feminist. And I remember my older sister kind of like sitting down. I was like, I was like a young radical or something, and I was like overpopulation. And my sister was like, did you know that every single time you give women control of their own reproductive health, the birth rate drops to a sustainable amount. And I'm like, oh, that's cool. Like you don't have to make laws around it. You don't got to do shit. All you gotta do is give people the right to choose about whether or not they get to stay or get pregnant. Right. Problem solves itself, it does.
Speaker 3: That's why there are so many of us that are childless. Instead we get dogs, yeah or cats.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I put that in for you.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 1: So that's like what I know about this movement. I want there to be more. I know the sources. They are all in German. Maybe one day I'll be able to return to it. But all I can say is I'm proud as fuck of the German radicals who held down a million abortions a year, seemingly all for free through horizontal organizing, and they didn't get preachy about it. Like one of the reason is that it's hard to know about it. It didn't people didn't even know it was tied into the radical labor movement because they didn't talk about it, or at least I mean, I don't know. Maybe they didn't. They're probably insuffer maybe like German radicals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think we. I do want a documentary on this because, Yeah, a million abortiones that is phenomenal. And the fact that they were able to be that organized for so long with that many members, that's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And you know, also, I'm proud of I'm proud of all the feminist, black radicals, communists and anarchists who came together in the Bay Area to organize abortion clinics and then defend them from organized right wing violence, which we're going to talk about on Wednesday.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited. Hell yeah, but before we talk about that, we should talk about you and your show me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I yes, so I am on a show called us Stuff Mom never told you, which we do talk about things like this, not the in depth history of this, only like you cool zone media people are that cool. We do very research based, very like nerdy based things, including talking about Star Wars or for me, lately it has been about k drama. No, I don't don't ask why because I'm Korean and I'm trying to find myself. But anyway, we also have a book that we published. It was released this year. Nope, last year? Oh god, what year is it? Twenty twenty three? Goddamn y'all. This is where I'm like, still twenty twenty three? Yeah, no, okay, anyway, last year we publish published.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 3: The future. We had published a book you can find any of your bookstores. Is also on audible if you want to hear Annie and myself read out a book, which was a completely different process than podcasting that we have learned.
Speaker 1: What's difficult.
Speaker 3: But yes, you should come and listen if you like to hear things about intersectional femine, some nerd things, all the good things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, stream plugs nice, Nope, that's it. I want to plug things. Uh, I have a god. Okay, by the time you hear this, no, like a couple of days after you hear this, sometime around when you hear it, February one, twenty twenty four, we're releasing Number City, the tabletop role playing game that I helped write that I've been working on for ten goddamn years. We kickstarted it last summer. Thanks for your help, we raise enough money to put together a beautiful hardcover book with like embossed silver inlay on the cover and all that stuff. And so if you want to play a tabletop role playing game or do what I did when I didn't have any kids as friends as a kid, you can just read it and imagine you live in that fantasy world. But it's called pan Number City. It's published by Strangers in the Tangled Wilderness, and it is available if you type in Number City or Strangers in a Tangle don't. I'm not going to give you a U are l. No one types in URLs. Although now that Google is turning into an abyss machine that doesn't provide useful search information, maybe you are ls are going to make a comeback. That's my plug. I'm also on substack and Twitter and on Twitter and Instagram, and.
Speaker 2: Samantha, did you put your handles in?
Speaker 3: I didn't, Yeah, I didn't. You can tell you, you can say no, sure, you can follow our not so active Instagram with stuff mom never told you.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: Also on Twitter as well. We are very not active on there. We kind of just let that die out as it should have. We're also on TikTok. You can see nerdy things on that uh stuff mom never told you as well. I am on as McBay dot sam on both Instagram and Twitter. Again, I'm not really active active on there, but hey, if you want to see pictures of my dog, come to the Instagram.
Speaker 1: Okay, but if you make Instagram, you can make memes that are like of your dog, and it could be like Mom never told me not to jump up on the counter. Oh my god, you get all the stuff that your mom didn't. Oh that's right, I see, is what I'm trying to Okay anyway, all right, Well I'm clearly at the bottom of the barrel. So I'll see you all on Wednesday. Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts on.
Speaker 2: Cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio
Speaker 3: App, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.