Speaker 1: Welcome to jag Zamas when San Atennani, Stevens, Brian Sexton, and John Oser are with me as we go over everything. Jaguars are gonna prepare for the Titans this week, but we started with big thing number one, which is officially official. The Jaguars entered Monday with a less than one percent chance of making the playoffs.
Speaker 2: They now enter later into the week with zero percent chance of making the playoffs. Brian, this is.
Speaker 1: Something we kind of saw coming. It's happened to the scene before, but this one hurts a little bit extra. But considering the expectations going into the season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it makes the letdown a little bit further down. We've been hoping John for weeks that they would start a little bit of a winning streak so that at least at some point in December you'd have a meaningful game Like if this then that which is always where you want.
Speaker 4: To be, especially at the holidays.
Speaker 3: There's people, you know, whether it gets cold and people are inside and they're watching football, and you just want your team to even have the slightest glimmer of hope and there is none, and what you really want to make sure is that apathy doesn't set in and people just don't paying attention to you because you're not in the mix whatsoever.
Speaker 4: The officially official thing was a bummer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's it's been common. It reminds me a lot of eighteen when they came in with high hopes, had a decent start, unlike this year, and then it has sort of petered out and by the end you knew it was over.
Speaker 4: It's disappointing.
Speaker 5: This team has had bad seasons, too many bad seasons for fourteen years. But because of the expectations, guy, this is obviously up with, you know, the two or three most disappointing seasons.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, our big thing.
Speaker 1: Number two is going to be to play or not to play. We talk about the Jaguars no longer in the playoff hunts at this point, Trevor Lawrence in concussion protocol, but he's also dealing with a shoulder injury before that, So do you play him going forward?
Speaker 2: Doug Peterson talked a little bit about that decision.
Speaker 6: You got to take it all into consideration, obviously, and and you know, make make a smart choice, make a you know, make a headsy sort of determination with him and his health. And then obviously you know.
Speaker 1: Where we are as a team right now, John, No decision has been made at this point. Five more games to go with this season, but as you mentioned, no playoff chances. Trevor's been playing hurt already. What do you think will end up happening with you?
Speaker 5: Well, it feels like this is very fluid and very still real time. I will say, just trying to interpret Doug's voice, tone, words, it will be considered to not play Trevor again. It's hard to know what that decision will be because when you're speculating on players playing because of health issues and you don't know it's exactly the health. How fast does he come back from my protocol? How bad is the shoulder? It's easy to say, Brian, oh, sit him. But there's some nuances there in terms of health, in terms of things that I think they have to be decided. My guess is they'll lean toward not playing them, with a lot of discussions still to come on that point.
Speaker 3: Brian, we're just interpreting here. I heard Doug say in my head, he's done right. He just the way that Doug communicates the last couple of years, he left the door wide open and he would narrow it.
Speaker 4: In fact, talking to him before last week's.
Speaker 3: Game about Trevor's return, you know, you want to send the message to the locker room that we're all in on every game left on the schedule. There's the development that we've talked about John with the young players and making sure that they had their best opportunities ahead of them. But that and the fact that the Jaguars signed former Bishop Kenny quarterback Johnny Wolford to the practice squad this week, I mean, it's just checkbox, checkbox, checkbox. I would be stun if we see Trevor Lawrence again. And I would say this because I have been that guy that says, if he's healthy, you play him. Because of all the reasons that we just discussed the fencing posture right that I went back and I watched it after we talked about it on Monday, there's no reason to mess with that, especially with the playoffs completely out of the perspective right now.
Speaker 4: I would focus on getting.
Speaker 3: Him ready to go into the off season healthy, whatever he needs to do to make sure that he's ready to go next spring and summer.
Speaker 1: We're going to go to our final big thing now, which is the suspension. Suspension coming down from the NFL as he's Alshi here has been suspended for three games for that hit on Trevor Lawrence. He'll be appealing that suspension.
Speaker 5: Ran.
Speaker 1: I think we all assumed the suspension was coming, but trying to set a tone with the three games here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've read that it's two hundred and sixty five thousand dollars a game, which puts it at seven hundred and ninety five thousand dollars. That's a big mistake, and the three game suspension is a black mark on his record. It will travel with him wherever he goes in terms of his reputation. So that seems like the right amount. But you know, when you lead with the forearm John like he did. I mean, it was just it was brutal. If they had suspended him for the rest of the season, which would only be one more game, I would have been a little happier.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know some fans aren't happy about the length. Based on what the NFL does in these situations, that felt like a pretty stiff penalty to me. I think it was the least that they could do had they done four or five games. My guess is the pushback from the NFLPA would have been a little stronger. I don't know how you look at that hit and not think it has to be multiple games. Three is fine. Four would have been fine somewhere in that ring. You know.
Speaker 3: Listen, a late hit on the quarterback is one thing you're gonna get. They're gonna get a fine, right. But I think in any case John, where you lead with the forearm to the head, you're never gonna take the physical aspect out of the game. There's gonna be hits that you don't like. But the way that he led with that forearm was vicious. And I don't know how you say it wasn't intentional. He can say only once. That's not in my heart. But that's not what's on TV. That's not what's gonna leave it infa me on the internet for years and years. You lead with this towards another player's head and neck. Man, as far as I'm concerned, they can't suspend you enough.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's uh. Look, I got an even to Bay saying, well, it was calculated. I don't know that. Before the game, he said, if I get a shot at Trevor, I'm gonna do this but if you watch the tape or the video of it, it's hard to argue that something in him made him lead with the forearm. He laded the forearm, he went after the head. As Foya Lucan said on Monday, if he wasn't going after it, if Trevor hadn't slid, then he's going after knees. You have very measured people like Foyer is saying, look, there was no way that I was going to be a clean hit no matter what happened, trying to figure out what he was doing, calling it a dirty play. NFL players usually don't react as the Jaguars have reacted to this. Again, you had to suspend. This felt like the minium you could do.
Speaker 1: Talk a little bit more about that reaction coming up after the break here on Jagsam jag xam brought to you by Fields Autogroup Jacksonville. Jacksonville was premier luxury autogroup. You can head over to field Auto dot com.
Speaker 2: This that.
Speaker 5: This os.
Speaker 6: No I. You know, I definitely appreciate how our team responded, you know, I mean protecting the quarterback and and all of that. Obviously, you hate to see it escalate to where it went but you know the second half of the football game too. There the officials basically worn both teams. It was a no tolerance. It was a zero tolerance you know in the second half. So if there was anything that transpired, that player was going to be you know, ejected as well. So, you know, thought, I thought both teams you know, played the second half as they should. You know, it was a tough, physical football game in the second half, and and there you know, there wasn't anything anything that escalated from you know, from that hit.
Speaker 1: In the first half. Welcome back into jack XAM and Doug Peterson talking a little bit about his team's reaction to that hit on Trevor Lawrence, what that spilled into, and we're going to talk a little this for that with that, because I think hear in Jacksonville from some of the fans John as you mentioned writing into you thought more should have been done after what happened to Trevor in terms of saliation or whatnot on the field, and then head coach of the Texans and Miko Ryan saying Jaguars overreacted.
Speaker 2: So I think I know where we all stand.
Speaker 1: On this, but let's talk it out a little bit because I think obviously your visceral reaction Evan Ingram, obviously that happening, and it kind of spilling forward, but then being reignited by al Shire later and the second brawl, Everyone's emotions were high.
Speaker 3: I think I said on the show on Monday that I had respect for Demiko Ryans and the way that he presented himself. I mean, everyone that I know that knows him thinks that he's not only a.
Speaker 4: Good person, but a good coach.
Speaker 3: Well, Doug Peterson just schooled him on how to handle this right. I mean, I know some people in Jacksonville, some fans, have been dissatisfied with the lack of emotion from the head coach, the lack of anger from Doug. But the job is to win the game, not the fight. And Doug knew that he had to keep his team even keeled. And then he's been even keeled because he understands after the fact, what good does it do to stand at the podium and pound his fist.
Speaker 4: I'm the emotional guy.
Speaker 3: I like that, but I get that that's not who Doug is and it wasn't the right way and Demiko Ryans, the respect I had was here. It's gone down a notch after his comments in Houston about the Jaguars overreacting and about the slide being Trevor's fault.
Speaker 4: I mean, it just seemed like crap to me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, some of my most reserved friends. I had a text from my buddy and him know who he is, eight version text of I've lost respect for Doug after this, And I get there's that feeling in the fan base. Doug takes the approach coaching that he's going to try to have an even keel, and he bends toward that. It's a conscious effort. So there's no way Doug wasn't upset about it. But I think he just doesn't want to show it. And that's the explanation there. Look as a journalist, I try when there's a situation like this to look at things people say, like Tamiko Ryans and try to maybe find okay, we're all emotional about it.
Speaker 4: What did he mean?
Speaker 5: I couldn't do it on this one. I mean, to say the Jaguars overreacted and to even imply that Trevor did something wrong to bring it out.
Speaker 4: It was absurd.
Speaker 5: So but I get that he has he has to defend his team, But when he was playing, my guess is he probably would have gone after somebody for doing that to his quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: Listen, I think he's underreacting if he thinks that his guy leading with the forehand armed to the head and neck is not worthy of a.
Speaker 4: Team losing its mind on the side.
Speaker 3: If that had been his quarter patch, sure on their sideline, the Texans would have reacted the exact same way. He would have been better to say nothing other than I'm going to defend my guy because that's what a coach is expected to do. But I would hope that we wouldn't have any more of this.
Speaker 1: I think the defensive player, as you mentioned, totally understandable, but I think they're all we're all getting caught up in it a little bit, going too fark trying to defend certain things.
Speaker 2: I do want to say the expects of it.
Speaker 3: Doug has handled it right. He has been the leader of this thing, and I think he's handled it right. I think if you think the Doug needed to be more emotional, then you're being too emotional.
Speaker 5: And to clarify the overriding factor here was the forearm, not the time, and it's awfully hard just from an executive point of view to look at the play and not think that I had malicious intent.
Speaker 1: We're going to move past that today and officially a little bit of a joke as well, or officially too early draft talk because now that we're officially eliminating from the playoffs, let's talk a little bit of draft. I know you guys love that so much. Where's your head at right now? If the draft was today, what would you draft? Was a position group would.
Speaker 2: You go for?
Speaker 3: I facetiously almost made my hot take yesterday that Travis Hunter will be both a cornerback and a wide receiver next fall in Jacksonville.
Speaker 2: Music to some people's ears, it's.
Speaker 3: Not a great draft for offensive tackles last year was, but you opted to take Brian Thomas and that's panned out well. John, I think you were the one that said this that it's about four or five guys in the first round that are difference makers. You're going to be in a position probably to take a difference maker whichever one is there.
Speaker 4: But Travis Hunter would be a guy I'd like to have on my team.
Speaker 5: Yeah. My edict, because I've been through this before, is in the O zone. I do not talk about the draft. Elimination doesn't cut it because guess what high standard many years, well, no January eighth comes around and that's all. It's a long haul till April fifteenth. So I give myself this time. But in answer to your question, I don't know the offensive line will be the priority because now I don't know how they're gonna change the offensive line the off season because they got eighty percent company up. But I'm tired around here of not being good enough on the two fronts. So I build the lines on both sides until you can build no more.
Speaker 1: Defensive line for me, if we're picking today, when I get a little tough, there are.
Speaker 3: Some very good defensive tackles. The kid from Michigan is thought to be a top five pick as well. So listen, I'm with you. That's always been my stance. You got to win in the trenches, but tantalizing players that can do a lot of different things for you and are all at difference makers. You've got to have a difference maker, somebody. What does it change these guys that you just can't defend?
Speaker 5: Right, And we're starting over time here, But you're exactly right, and at the same time, if you keep reaching for tantalizing every year, then all of a sudden you're meh on the line and they've sorted and not every player, but I'm saying overall performance, there's been a lot of years right now where they're just good enough on the two lines and not great. It's time to get great.
Speaker 4: Well, think of it this way, Kye.
Speaker 3: There are defensive ends, there are defensive tackles. There's a couple of cornerbacks. There are players that this team needs. So it's just a matter of deciding which one would be hardest to find anywhere else in the draft and which one fits what you.
Speaker 1: Want to do also depends where we end up in terms of draft position as well. Because of these last five games coming up, we're going to talk a little bit about what's going on elsewhere in the AFC South and some of the games coming up. For eleven years, dream Finders Holmes have been the proud to call themselves the official homebuilders of the Jacksonville Jaguars. Visit dreamfindershomes dot com for all of the available inventory and Go Jets.
Speaker 2: Welcome back into Jags Am. Today.
Speaker 1: We're gonna talk a little bit about what's going on around the division. We've been eliminated from the playoffs, but there's still five more games to go, many of them divisional games. So let's talk a little bit about the Colts, who got a one point win over the Patriots this week, and the Cults are two games out of the division A behind the Texans in the AFC South, and they've got a pretty easy schedule, so I'm wondering if that'll get a little more interesting. We've talked about the Texans schedule. They have a bye week coming up, but then I believe it's Miami, Kansas City, Baltimore and one of their division I think Titans to end the year. So Texans have a gauntlet to go and the Colts have a little bit of an easier ride. Do you think now they're putting something together with Anthony Richardson? Could this occur?
Speaker 3: Wells, they have wanted to have Anthony Richardson performing at a moderately high level. With Jonathan Taylor, who I just think is one of the most underrated backs the last couple of years because he's been battling ankle.
Speaker 4: Injuries, it looks like they've got something going with him now.
Speaker 3: There's a little bit of a little bit of something in the passing game, but primarily when you have two guys who are so good on the ground. Yeah, I think the Colts can put something together here. They're getting some of their injured defensive players back. I think if Anthony Richardson can avoid the turnovers, I think that they could make at least some of those. If that this, then that sort of games that get fans energized.
Speaker 5: The Colts are what the Jaguar should have been right now.
Speaker 4: I think that's absolutely right.
Speaker 5: I don't think the Jaggers were a great team coming in. I think we overrated him a little bit. But they're better than what they show, and had they won a couple of games that they should have won or just not given away a few, that's where the Colts are six and seven, right the jay that would be six and seven. Yeah, and so yes, because of the Texans schedule, the Colts can turn this into something. I don't think anybody. I don't think anybody in the division is very good, and I'll couch that by saying I think we're the worst to be the worst record, but yeah, they can get into it because it's not very good division.
Speaker 3: Dagars had a chance to beat the Texans in both of those games, and with their backup on Sunday, very nearly had a chance to do it. So I don't think the Texans are all that good.
Speaker 1: Well, we're gonna battle it out with the Titans to see who's third and who's fourth, essentially, because the Titans are now three and nine after they lost to the Commanders this last week. And this is Titans and Jaguars games are always a little bit weird.
Speaker 2: But we're gonna head to Nashville this week, so it should get interesting.
Speaker 3: They have a couple of guys though, Jeffrey Simmons I think, being the guy that I hiled in the highest regard. But the defensive tackle is just a game wrecker and he's gonna challenge the inside of the Jaguars offensive line this week. Ninety eight is so good, so talented that if you don't have two guys on him, then he's gonna own the backfield.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the U this gets gonna be tough for the Jags because there's the other quarterback, and frankly, they're all tough for the Jags right now because the Titans these games matter in these last four or five games. It's a first year coach, it's a quarterback who, after being sort of felt like he was out of it early in the season, is now starting to build up a little bit of a resume where good performance for Will Levis in the last five games might change the franchise's thought on quarterback. So they're gonna be playing with that in mind. Let's figure this out. Uh, there's still a team with a motivation on that level beyond pride. I'm not sure what the Jaguars motivation is.
Speaker 2: Well, they'll have some sort of motivation. I'll sure they'll figure it out.
Speaker 1: They're back in the building today and we'll hear from Doug Peterson and a quarterback twe named later at some point today.
Speaker 2: So stay with us.
Speaker 1: We'll tell you else what else is going on the rest of this week. Shags fans, if you want customized Jaguars furniture for your home, checkout zipchair dot com to browse all the customizable options. Zip chair is furniture for fans.
Speaker 3: And let's get going on the ground.
Speaker 4: Come on, it starts when that's up front.
Speaker 5: It starts when get something going. Bruh co Allo.
Speaker 4: Like Thomas.
Speaker 1: The Evan Evan Ingram was miked up for that game against the Texans. So that's video you're definitely gonna want to check out. And hear from him this week, Johnny talking to him for the podcast.
Speaker 5: I am talking it for the podcast, and I was laughing when I watched this. I have to ask him about it because all receiving tight ends love to talk about how great blockers they are. But he actually blocked pretty well there, so I know he'll he'll take some pride in that and maybe overplay it a little bit.
Speaker 4: But he was grunting and groaning, so it sounded like he was getting out.
Speaker 5: He's in You know, we all know Evan. Everybody who's met Evan and spending time around and likes him. But on every team there's a few pros, and there's a few guys who you know are in it for the right reasons. They're in the peak of their careers, meaning seventh or eighth year. This is a professional football player who takes it the right way. And the one thing I'm not going to mess with him.
Speaker 2: No, call him up if he need him to.
Speaker 3: He came in here in twenty twenty two on a one year deal to prove himself and was such a pro. He's one of the guys you feel bad for with the way that this thing has gone this year, because it seemed like he was trending up with this team and one hundred and fourteen receptions last year really looked like one of the best young tight ends in the game, and this year it just doesn't look like he's made.
Speaker 4: Much of an impact.
Speaker 2: Well, battle through that injury totally.
Speaker 4: It's the circumstances, not the player.
Speaker 1: Frustrating obviously, but a great member for this team and a great member of the Jacksonville community as well. So well here from having Ingram this week on John's podcast, and of course we'll hear from.
Speaker 2: The rest of the players.
Speaker 1: We'll talk a little bit more about the Titans Tomorrow's We Get Ready for Game Dance Sunday,