Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 2: The Breakfast Club morning, everybody is DJ Envy just hilarious. Charlamagne the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. We got a special guest in the building.
Speaker 3: That's right, I call him Barack Obama, bar Obama, lail me God.
Speaker 2: Right in front of them, we have the governor of Pennsylvania, Governor Josh.
Speaker 1: Is that sa Quon's old helmet because you know he's over on the birds.
Speaker 3: Now you know what is it's signed by s. Let me put it the fact that you recognize you for.
Speaker 1: That's crazy the morning. How you feeling, Hey, I'm feeling great. Thanks for having me back. It's good to be with you, guys.
Speaker 4: Seeing you again.
Speaker 3: You asked me how my family was before the interview. I want to ask you how your family is now because I saw this week that code balmer who was accused of an arson attack on your house. He played guilty and will send us to twenty five to fifty years. How does that make you know you in the family field?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, look, I'll be honest, it's been hard dealing with this as a governor, right knowing that you're a target, knowing that in this world of politics we're in today. You got people who want to do you harm. And I'm sure we'll talk about political violence. We're seeing way too much of that across the country. But the hardest part of this whole thing for me has been knowing that the job I love, right being governor of Pennsylvania, serving the good people of Pennsylvania, put my family's lives at risk. I mean, this guy, Charlman, he came in with miletov cocktails, he fire bombed our home.
Speaker 3: How did he get so close?
Speaker 4: How did he get in?
Speaker 1: But I just want to be clear. He was wielding a metal hammer that he said he was going to use to try to kill me. And he not only pled guilty to arson, he played guilty to attempted murder.
Speaker 3: Damn.
Speaker 1: And So I think the thing for me that I'm I'm just being really honest, that I'm working through is how to keep my family safe doing the job I love that by the way, I feel real purpose in right serving people, and the notion that people now need to choose between their family safety and well being and doing public service. That's a hard thing for me to work through, just as a dad, you know, beyond being a governor but look, I mean to your point or to your question. So you know, there were tremendous failures from a security standpoint. Pennsylvani State Police, who I do have confidence in, have changed a whole bunch of procedures. The home, which really hadn't been this was the governor's residence, really hadn't had any kind of overhaul from a security perspective for decades, has gone through that. I do feel safe there now. I do feel safe when I'm going around. I worry about my family obviously all the time. But it was a failure and they learned from it, and I've got confidence that they're going to do better. If God forbid, something like that, you know, happens another time.
Speaker 3: You got to tell me how you have that kind of count?
Speaker 1: Yeah, how do you feel safe?
Speaker 3: Because how do you know? It wasn't an inside job? How do you know? You know? You don't.
Speaker 2: You don't know whocause they got pretty close. It wasn't like it was they threw it from the street, like they got.
Speaker 5: He caund doors in your house, which wasn't successful to get through those doors, and it was fifteen people in your house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, there were about twenty. We had me and my family. There's six of us, Yeah, our two dogs, and then we also had my brother, sister and their kids, so my nieces and nephews. Yeah, it was scary. I mean, you know, knowing that there's a fire and you've got these brave firefighters rushing in to put out the firefight and put out the fire. Pardon me as they're ushering you out. I mean it's scary. Look, there are some things that they have done. They're going to make what happened there impossible. Again. They built a wall around the residence. We really didn't have something like that. There's now a dedicated crew of state troopers to patrolling the grounds. We didn't have that before. There's all kinds of new technology. I'm not going to get into it here. That that is, you know, going to make us safe, and they're taking steps at our home as well. Look, I think you gotta in this job. You gotta have faith in the people around you to keep you safe. Otherwise you become paralyzed by fear. And I'm unwilling to be a victim the rest of my life. I'm unwilling to be paralyzed by fear. And I'm not going to be deterred in doing this work. I'm not going to be deterred in practicing my faith. I'm not going to be deterred and being who I am. I'm not going to be deterredent just being able to go outside and catch with my kids. You can't live in fear, and that is kind of how I've I've worked through this, and my family and I have worked through this so that we can we can go forward and do this job we love and try and do it in a safe way.
Speaker 3: Well, you don't believe that building a wall is a proper way, man.
Speaker 1: I've always been for securing our border. If that's where you're going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was, as you know.
Speaker 4: So what startled him? That was my question. Because he was in the house, he had a hammer. What made him flee? What made him run?
Speaker 1: I don't know if you saw the video, but he used this metal hammer to to break a window to throw them all tough cocktail, which ignited the explosion. Then he went to another window, used the metal hammer to break a window so he could climb in. What's really scary, which I don't think folks understood when they looked at the video, is he then tried to kick down a set of doors that literally lead to our private living quarters. That's where we all were, So he was a door away while that was going on. You know, we've later learned this. The state police opted not to go after him, but to get us out and get us to safety, which was the right thing to do, and so we were able to be safe and secure while you know, he was able to get away.
Speaker 3: And I saw you say that you had an enormous guilt about that based off what you just said, you know earlier about being a public servant, being in governor, but it's still being a father. Is it worth it?
Speaker 1: I think it is, Charlemagne, And I mean that's a tough question. You're asking me, right, Is it worth putting your kids' lives at risk? Right? I mean that's a hard thing to ask to answer. I think what I love public service, and I'm not trying to sound but like, I really feel like I get to make a difference every day, and I'm sure we'll talk about some issues. I think we are making a difference, and so I want to help other people, and obviously the most important thing is keeping my family safe. I think if you can have confidence in the people who are keeping you safe. You can't walk away now with everything that's on the line, with all the challenges we face as a country, with my responsibility to frankly push back on what we're seeing in Washington, protect our freedoms in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. And now it's not the time to walk away. So I think we're in a good place from a safety perspective. I am mentally strong and prepared to continue on with this work knowing that my family is being cared for and protected, and this is not a time to quit. So yeah, it's worth it. It's worth it to put yourself out there and try and do good for others.
Speaker 5: How well you say that the conversations with your kids have been hard, right because of all of this? Have your kids asked you to not do this job anymore? After everything?
Speaker 1: I want to be respectful to my kids privacy. But you know, I'll tell you what it was like in the days after and kind of where we are today. We're blessed with four kids twenty three twenty sixteen fourteen. What was really interesting to Laurie and I and twenty three is a daughter and then the rest of boys They each asked different kinds of questions, and they asked them in a different way, and you know, sometimes they were concerned about my well being. Sometimes they were understandably concerned about their own well being. My fourteen year old asked a lot of questions that were super factual. How did he get here, how.
Speaker 3: Did he do that?
Speaker 1: What was he doing? What does the video look like? You know, stuff like that. And I remember early on in this I just answered everything I knew. I told him everything I knew with as much granularity as I had. I remember my wife said to me, are we doing this? Like is this what we're supposed to do? Or are we supposed to like tell our kids this? And I was like, I think so. I mean, there's no playbook for this. And so we were just brutally honest with our kids about both the facts of what happened and then the emotional questions that they asked. And I think that helped them get through it too. My kids haven't asked me to quit. My kids haven't asked me the real question you asked me before. I think they want me to keep doing this work. I mean, I think, like any job that a parent has, it pulls you away from a game, or it pulls you away from something they want like that annoys kids, rightfully so, but overall, the idea that I would quit this job because I'm afraid, I think that would set the wrong example for my kids. I want my kids to grow up strong and confident. I want my kids to grow up in a world where they feel like they could do whatever they want to do and they can make a difference in the world. And I can be deterred by bullies, They're not going to be deterred by people who want to come after them. Instead, they're going to stand up to that. I want to show that example.
Speaker 3: That would be a tough conversation if your wife and kids came to you and was like, we love you, but we want you to step down. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Look, you know, when we talk about politics, every decision I made ever run for an office or or decided not to run for an office or do something, it's always been kind of like, you know, one percent political and ninety nine percent personal and family. Because when you do these jobs, you've got to be all in. I mean, you gotta be willing to, you know, miss the games and the routine stuff which which you guys all, I'm sure go through every para cose through that, but you also have to be you got to have your family all in to deal with the public pressures that come along with this. And my kids have been amazing. My wife has been unbelievable. I mean, we've we've been together since the ninth grade. She's not that we knew this was gonna be our lives back then, but she's just been with me through everything, and she's like the most amazing support system and just you know, my best friend in the whole world.
Speaker 3: I would go tell them it's gonna be way less security if I'm not governing no more.
Speaker 2: So I wanted to talk about some of the things that's going on in Washington and how it's affecting you as a governor. You see so many people can't pay their rent, can't pay for food, can't pay.
Speaker 4: A lot of it, right, and then the tariffs are adding to it.
Speaker 2: Right. The other day we were talking about the average price of car, A car, just a vehicle, something to drive. They said, I think like six years ago it was like thirty something thousand, Now it's fifty two thousand dollars. So people can't afford things anymore. It's getting very difficult out there. They can't afford rent, they can't afford to go to school, they're taking extra jobs. So what are you telling, especially the governor of Pennsylvania, what are you telling people in Pennsylvania about that?
Speaker 4: Or how are you helping?
Speaker 1: Yeah? If any so, we're just having a conversation about this. I was in Lebanon County, Pennsylvania, on a farm yesterday, by the way, announcing that Pennsylvania has now protected more farmland than any other state in the entire country. I'm sure not super interesting to the breakfast club listeners, but a really important thing Forensylvania. Why do I bring that up? Because I was asked, Hey, what what's going on? Like, what's on the minds of farmers and people you meet here in rural Pennsylvania, And in many ways it's the same thing that's on the mind of people in urban Pennsylvania, in Philly or Pittsburgh or something like that. Affordability for farmers. Affordability is a problem because of the present's tariffs. I mean, that is the dumbest policy. It has caused prices to rise. It is shut down markets for farmers. It is shut down markets for Pennsylvania manufacturers, and you go to the grocery store, things cost more. You order something on Amazon. Now they got rid of that so called deminimus rule. Everything you're buying costs more, and everything costs more because Donald Trump pushed a button and started a tariff for a trade war with our allies with Canada, with countries that we do business with to the benefit of Americans. I'm not saying that some targeted tariff you're there protect the steel industry or something like that, isn't helpful. But these blanket tariffs that he pulls out of his ass and doesn't really have a number that makes a whole lot of sense, is having a singular effect in my state and across the country. That is to make everything cost more, whether you're running a business, whether you're operating a farm, or whether you're just trying to buy your groceries. What am I doing about in Pennsylvania in the face of the federal government working against us. I've cut taxes six times in our comma. I've cut taxes for seniors, cut taxes for small businesses multiple times. I've cut taxes for families who are trying to afford childcare. We tripled what we call our childcare tax credit. In addition to that, we're investing more in housing to try and bring down the cost of housing. We've developed more affordable housing great Eagles, Shady McCoy and I actually just work together in a big housing project in the Harrisburg area which is now built and open. So we have a lot more work to do on that front, but that's certainly important. We are doing everything we can to reduce costs for people, to try and bring down the cost of things. And Donald Trump is just working against us every single day, and these tariffs are exhibit A.
Speaker 3: Who's faulted the government shut down. It doesn't matter because right now the polls are saying that most Americans are starting to blame Democrats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but look, I don't know about the polls, and I'm not a political pundit. Here's what I know. I have to deal with the real effects of it every day as a governor of Pennsylvania, by the way, as do other governors. Right. So, I've got a workforce of about eighty thousand people who work for me in the state. Roughly ten thousand of them work for the state. But they're funded by the Feds to support our veterans, provide health care you know, you name it. They're not getting paid right now, right and if I pay them in lieu of the federal government paying them, that's a budget hit to me. I got veterans. We're one of the top states for number of veterans, about eight hundred thousand veterans in our state who aren't going to the benefits that they need. I got kids with unique you know, health challenges, who aren't atting the services they need because the federal government is shut down. Look, the Republicans control everything in DC. They control the Senate, the control the House, they control the Presidency. Because of the unique rules that they have. They need whatever it is, seven or eight Democratic votes in the US Senate, Why the hell should the Democrats give up their vote for nothing? They've said, we want one thing. We want to make sure healthcare is more affordable. We want these so called Obamacare subsidies extended, because when they go away at the end of this year. You want to talk about costs, envy, Your healthcare costs are going to spike because of it. And so Democrats, rightfully, you said in the Senate, you want our seven votes, you got to give us what we need on healthcare, which by the way, makes a lot of sense. You got to use the leverage when you have it. So I'm kind of less focused on who's to blame and more focused on two things. One managing our state through this and number two, hopefully seeing the Democrats be successful in the US Senate in driving home a conclusion that's going to result in better health care for Americas.
Speaker 3: From a strategy perspective, do you think it would have been smarter to say, you know what, let the Republicans have their way, let them drive a healthcare So that's the one issue we can point to and say this is Republican's fault, as opposed to now the water is being so muddy because the government is shut down and so many other people aren't getting paid. So now they're starting to blame Democrats.
Speaker 1: I'm less focused in my day to day life of letting something bad happen so I can point a finger at somebody else then actually solving the damn problem and then go take credit for it. I mean, you know, obviously you're in the business of getting stuff done, and then you got to go tell the voters what you did. I hope that Chuck Schruman the Democrats are successful here and then, rather than try and prove that the bad thing that happened was the Republican's fault, go and take credit for doing something good for the American people and helping them, you know, get their health care. I will tell you this fight is playing out at a really critical time when it comes to healthcare. If I can get maybe just a little though, you can extrapolate this out to every other state. My state, thirteen million people, you know, big state. As a result of Trump and the Republicans passing what they call the Beautiful Bill, which you know, silly name, but just follow me on this, five hundred and ten thousand Pennsylvanians are about to lose healthcare coverage. You're about to lose Medicaid, and one hundred and forty thousand more Pennsylvanians are losing food assistants. That's that actually started back in September, right, so.
Speaker 3: We snap and wick and exact sta.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we got this moment right now where I've got you know, six hundred plus thousand Pennsylvanians who are either losing healthcare or food assistance. And then at the end of this year, I got over a million who rely on these subsidies to afford Obamacare. And by the way, these are people working, they're doing what we want them to do, and we're giving them a little bit extra help so they can afford a healthcare for them and their families that goes away. So we're facing a dire situation of Donald Trump's making where I've got about a million and a half people who in some former fashion and lose healthcare, be kicked off of it, or lose food assystem. There's a real problem. And by the way, the states can't make that up, like we can't backfill that. I can't speak for every governor, but I don't think any state's budget can backfill the billions of dollars in healthcare and food assistants that they're cutting. So the fact remains, if these senators want to go fight to protect healthcare, I'm all in for that. They should use their leverage to be able to do that.
Speaker 5: Is that why in Pennsylvania right now there's such a back and forth about you guys, budget and trying to figure out what can be improved and what can't because of a trickle down for a big Yeah.
Speaker 1: Look, the Feds make this way harder, right, And you know I got I'm a governor with a divided legislature. I'm one of the only ones in the country. I've got a State House led by Democrats by the way, by one seat, the State Senate led by Republicans literally by two seats. So out of two hundred and fifty three lawmakers, three seats separate the whole thing. I've managed to bring them all together to big things, cutting taxes, investing in education, by the way, investing in public safety. I made a commitment to hire two thousand cops and put a few hundred million dollars into violence prevention. It's working. Crime is down forty two percent in Pennsylvania. So we've shown an ability to come together and get stuff done, and certainly we're going to do that here.
Speaker 3: The thing I like about you, Governor Shapiro, is that you aren't busy pointing fingers. You're always doing the work. And it's interesting because you're one of the people whose names comes up to run for president all the time, but you don't seem to be actively campaigning for that like some of the other governors do. So how do you stay Pennsylvania?
Speaker 1: First, that's my job, man. I took an oath of office to thirteen million people to work my ass off for them every single day, and I'm busy every day doing that. And look, I think the most important thing when people trust you to do these jobs is do the job, show your work. And I've always believed that the best politics is really good policy, and good policy means lives get get better. So that's the way I do. I don't want to in any way have that answer be viewed as, you know, a dis of any other governor.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: I've got a great relationship with my fellow governors. We've got some amazing governors doing great work across the country, and I really applaud them.
Speaker 2: I wanted to ask about, you know what, the government shut down? How bad is that affecting the regular person in Pennsylvania, Because it's it's what this is the third week now going on the fourth, inga sixteen days of sixteen days, and it's and it's getting to the point where it seems like a lot of.
Speaker 4: People are going to be fired, a lot of people are not going to get paid.
Speaker 3: They working without pay.
Speaker 2: They're working with people to get So how difficult is that for you? For your people in Pennsylvania? And what do you tell them? Right, It's like, how do you tell somebody to keep working and don't get paid? You know, how do you tell somebody to work but then they can't pay their mortgage or they can't pay for this?
Speaker 4: Like, so what do you say?
Speaker 1: You know, largest employer in Pennsylvania is the federal government. Second largest is the state government. And you know, I'm proud to be colleagues with eighty thousand people that work for our state government. I work with them every single damn proud of them, Proud of the work that they do, from the folks who clean our buildings to the people that go out and you know, test for public health issues out in our rural communities. I value the work that they do. The idea that some of them are being asked to go to work without pay, that the largest employer in our state is not paying their employees, that has a real negative impact to the point you're making. I mean, these are folks who still need to go to the grocery store, they still need to pay for their kids' childcare, they still need to get their kid the baseball bat they need for littally whatever, and they're not. I think what's different about this shutdown than past. In the past, they were kind of guaranteed they were going to get their money back at the end of it, and so it sucks, but they probably thought, Okay, I can get through a week or two or three, but I'm going to get all that money back. The way Donald Trump is doing things, the way these people around them are doing things, I don't think they know they're going to get their money back. And so it's not just about kind of floating through three weeks, right, maybe dip in the savings, put the money back at extent that you have the savings. This is really serious stuff because they don't know that they're going to get that back pay. I think the way Trump has treated the federal work for us, it's just so disrespectful from a human standpoint. In fact, he's laid off a ton of federal workers. We've hired them in the state. They got great skills, great expertise, and they want to do good by their you know, their fellow Americans, and so we've hired them and they're doing really important work. For us. I think you got to treat people with respect when they're doing these jobs, and clearly the president isn't.
Speaker 3: Now I read a. Kamala Harris's book one hundred and seven Days Just Switching gave a little bit sure, and I saw your comments on her book. And for those who don't know the form of VP, wrote that Governor Shapiro seemed overly ambitious because you were, you know, up with a VP role. She said, you seemed overly ambitious, and you pushed for two large a role for a vice president and seemed unwilling to accept a number two position. How did you feel when you heard that?
Speaker 1: I mean, like, I haven't read her book. I'm busy every day, frankly, dealing with the effects of the fact that we lost the twenty twenty four election, dealing with Donald Trump wanting to send troops into our street, dealing with Donald Trump, by the way, just a week or two ago, demanding that I turn over the entire voter roles, including Pennsylvane's social Security number, driver's license, some of all this stuff. I don't know what the hell he wants that for, but I know it's not for any good purpose, and he sued me when I wouldn't turn it over. I'm dealing with the real effects of governing in the world, you know, after Donald Trump won the election. So haven't read the book having really focused on it.
Speaker 3: But even what's wrong with the vice president being overly ambitious? If you're the number two to the number one, Yeah, shouldn't you be ready to be number one?
Speaker 1: I guess that's a question for her. She clearly thought it.
Speaker 3: And you also criticized her, which I thought was fair, for not speaking out publicly earlier about concerns over President Biden's fitness to run in twenty twenty four. To me, that's not just the criticism for the VP as a criticism for a whole democratic point.
Speaker 1: You and I have talked about that issue.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Look, I don't want to get into it with the former vice president, but I mean, if you're in the room, you're seeing things nobody else is seeing, you had a responsibility to speak up, and she didn't.
Speaker 4: Do you think?
Speaker 3: Hold on, I think about it and we can move on. But the book the book also mentioned because you didn't read it, but it mentioned that some of your comments on pro Palestinian protests were flagged by her campaign, but that wasn't a deciding factor, do you think.
Speaker 1: Look, I wasn't in her head. I don't know what she was thinking. I'll just say to you, I think I said this to you before, just to keep it real, man, when I was going through that process. First off, it's an honor to go through that process. I said throughout it that she had a deeply personal decision to make. In the end, Charlemagne, so did I and I love being governor of Pennsylvania and calling the shots.
Speaker 2: Now, it seems like you two don't rock with each other too much, right And from the comments that Charlemagne said in the book and things that you said.
Speaker 3: About who a couple of hors, no, I don't get that.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: And by the way, Shit and I have done each other twenty years. I mean, we've worked together for a long time.
Speaker 2: It doesn't seem like it's a united front, right, But sometimes you look at Republicans per se, it seems like it's more of affront.
Speaker 4: It just seems like that front wasn't.
Speaker 1: I don't think so envy. I worked my butt off to help her get elected. I mean I did every I traveled with Gretchen Whitmer and Tony Evers to all three swing states Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan. I did dozens of events. Hell, I even cutting add for I don't think her campaign ever ran it, but cuttingand for her in Pennsylvania where you know I'm doing okay there. So yeah, I got no ill will and I don't think she does toward me.
Speaker 5: What about because I know you had a conversation with Biden one on one where you told him that you didn't think that he was like fit to run, right, you had conversations with the VP leading up to her announcing and all the things. Did you ever say to her you should say something now like people are relying on you.
Speaker 1: Well, I never had a conversation with her. I went directly to the President and spoke to him about what I saw were, you know, his challenges in Pennsylvania. I was really honest with him. We got together at a coffee shop in Harrisburg. I think there's been reported. I mean, I'll just share with you. He said, how's it going. I was very clear, it's not going well. The polls are showing it's not going well. I don't think you're handling the cost question back to what we talked about before with rising costs. It was a big theme in the campaign, big issue in Pennsylvania. I didn't think they were handling that well. I expressed that I thought people thought he wasn't up to the job, not so much the job doing it at that moment, but the job doing it for another four years, which I think there's a real difference there. And I was very honest with him about that. Look, I'm maybe it's old school, but I believe that if you got something to say, you say it directly that person's face. And these President of the United States. I respected him, still respect him, and I respect him enough to say it directly to his face.
Speaker 3: I was received.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he heard it. He told me that their poll numbers were different, and he seemed committed to continuing forward and listen, that's his call, of course, I mean, it's the President of the United States, and so to me, I thought I had a responsibility, as the governor from arguably the most important swing state in the entire country, to be very honest about what I was seeing on the ground, and to be very honest about the fact that I saw real challenges for him to get or for him to win Pennsylvania. And I was also really honest with him that I had shared a lot of this with his team, and I didn't think that they were being direct with him, And so I felt the need to take what is, you know, a fairly extraordinary step and go directly to the president and say this.
Speaker 3: You can't, you should. That stuff should be amplified. Like I knew that story, right. But the reason I say that stuff should be amplified it because that's what's going to help you in the future if you do decide to run for president. Because I keep telling folks like, look, man, anybody that wants to lead his party in the future has to throw that old regime under the and it has to be people that told that old regime the truth about where they were at. It wasn't a lot of y'all that did that.
Speaker 1: Can I disagree with you slightly on this. I don't believe that you get ahead in life by throwing people under the bus. I don't believe that I got to kick somebody in order to get ahead. I think you got to show your work. I think you got to show a vision. I think you got to tell people what you're all about, and That's how you know you can be successful as a governor, as senator, whatever it is that you do. I made my point clear to the president and the former president, and you know, I'm glad I did that.
Speaker 3: Okay, how about being known as a truth teller and a party that lied to the whole country?
Speaker 1: I think speaking truth is really important.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I did that.
Speaker 1: I think people believing that even if they disagree with you on an issue, or they disagree with your viewpoint on something, at least they walk away knowing, Hey, you know what, that guy was straight with me. I mean, hell, I think we started the conversation. I was at a farm in Lebanon County, Pennsylvania yesterday. This is not an area that Democrats go to. And I was there talking for real about tariffs and other things, and I kind of made a joke. I said, look, I know where I am. I know I'm in Lebanon County. I know this isn't exactly, you know, an area where I'm getting a majority of the vote or however I said it. But I wanted to be here today and I wanted to be clear with you about what I think, how I feel, and how I see things. I think what the American people really want. Certainly people of Pennsylvania want again swingy estate in the whole country, I think it's a pretty good indicator of where others are. They just want to be real, they want to be authentic, and they don't need to agree with you on everything like this isn't about everybody agreeing on a purity test. They want to know what's in your heart. They want to know what motivates you to serve, and they want to know what you really think.
Speaker 4: Were you surprised when when Trump won Pennsylvania?
Speaker 1: No, I mean I saw when Biden dropped out, he had been consistently down and by the way I shared this with the former president, he'd been consistently down five six seven points. When the vice president jumped in, you saw the numbers close, but they never She never overtook him, and any of the data that we saw, and look, I think beyond the data, I got a pretty good feel for my state and in my state, you know, you get a sense of sort of where different areas are going and how they're moving, and she just never was able to close that gap. Now, look, if she would have one Pennsylvania by fifty thousand votes. Would I have been shocked?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: But you asked me, was I surprised or shocked that he won? No? Because basically by the end, when we were in that final couple weeks, you know, she's kind of minus one, even minus two, something like that. I mean, it wasn't that she had overcome where he was.
Speaker 5: If she had separated herself more from Biden, do you think she could have won the state? What do you think was the reason why she didn't?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I mean, look, what's the title the book one hundred and I mean she didn't. She didn't have a lot of time, right and fairness to her. But it kind of goes back to what I was just saying a moment ago. People want to know who you are. They want genuineness, they want authenticity, they want to feel like they know who you are. And you know clearly that that was not accomplished.
Speaker 3: How much credit do you think President Trump should get for the Israel and Gaza?
Speaker 1: He deserves credit. I gave him credit. I gave him credit for getting the hostages home. I think what I also said is he's got a hell of a lot of work to do on what I think is being called Phase two, and Phase two is arguably the most important piece of this. Now that the hostages are home and the war has stopped, the violence has stopped, you got to feed these folks in Gaza. You got to make sure that they get the humanitarian aid that they so desperately need. And you've got to get these other Arab nations to actually pony up and begin to rebuild those neighborhoos, rebuild that area. At the same time, Hamas has to be disarmed. They cannot continue to be in power. Look at what they've been doing just over the last forty eight hours. They're murdering they're fellow citizens there because they don't like that they're supporting a rival political party or they believe that they collaborated with the Israelis. So you cannot allow Hamas to remain in power. And you've got to get aid in there, and you've got to get the rebuilding process started. So yeah, I get President Trump credit for what he did. By the same token, he's got a hell of a lot more work to do, and I hope he sees this through.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of people who feel like the deal isn't complete though, because of a lot of the dead bodies, haven't. They're still digging a dead bat of yeah, retireing, and you know when it comes when you're dead hostage. When you say peace like Hamas doesn't believe in is right, they exist. The current Israeli government doesn't believe in a two state solutions, So how are they ever going to be peace?
Speaker 1: Look, I'll just tell you my views on this, And again you asked me about the president before. I was trying to give you an honest answer on that. We got to figure out how to get to phase two. We got to disarm Hamas, get them out of power, and invest in Godsen. Now what does a future look like? And this is where I just have profound differences from Natanyahu, and I've been really outspoken about this even prior to October seventh. The only way you're going to have peace and stability in the region for a long time is if you're a kid growing up in the Palestinian areas and you believe you've got a future. You got a future because of the job you want, because the education you're getting, you know, whatever name is. By the way, the way our kids feel like they've got a future here in this country. When people have hope and they believe that they can have a brighter future, they don't turn to terrorism, they don't turn to hate. Instead, they focus on loving and they focus on how to create a better future for themselves and their families. So to me, if you can stabilize the region, get Hamas out of power, the our world, come together and invest, then you have to go onto the next phase of the conversation, which is a two state solution, something I have supported for quite some time. Hamas doesn't recognize Israel's right to exist. That's why they cannot be empower. Their whole charter calls for the destruction of Israel and destruction the killing of Jews and on the same tongue and hamasaid terrorist group. Natanyahu on the other side, the leader of Israel doesn't believe in a two state solution, so he can't. He either can't be empower right if you're going to get to a two state solution, or the President needs to get him to change his views on that issue. Look, I'm not naive you're not going to get to a two state solution in the next few months or probably even year, But we've got to get on a path where Palestinians can live their lives with dignity, where Israelis can live their lives with dignity and safety, and where everybody in the region feels like they have an opportunity for success and prosperity and promise in the future.
Speaker 3: I feel agree with you about him, Maaz. I feel like Natanyahu should be removed from power to it. And you you've called him one of the worst leaders I have of all time. And you, you know, defend Israel clearly because you do it right.
Speaker 1: No, not because I'm just because I think, first off, I love Israel. I think it is a wonderful country with a rich heritage. I think it is an incredible melting pot of people, Jewish and non Jewish. I also think it is vitally important to our national security. It is important to having stability in the region. You look around at these other Arab nations that have created relationships with Israel where there's now commerce and other activities through what's known as the Abraham Accords and in other agreements. They view Israel as critical for their future and vice versa. So I think for all those reasons, I support it. I don't like Nita Yah who, I don't think that he's led Israel down a good path. I think he's been a destructive leader. I don't get a vote there, but I sure as heck hope that as we go forward here, either the President gets him to change his views or the Israelis make a different choice and in their election that's their right to pick, not mine. But I think this is not just important because I'm a proud American Jew. This is important I think for America's you know, national security interests.
Speaker 3: Where is the line between criticizing Israeli policy and endorsing actions you believe cross moral or even legal boundaries?
Speaker 1: Explain what you're asking me.
Speaker 3: I don't feel like with net and Yahoo right, like you know, you say he's one of the worst leaders of all time. Clearly he's some people have said he's crossed a lot of moral and legal boundaries. So where is the line between you know, criticizing him, but in I guess, in endorsing yeah actions, Because if.
Speaker 1: You're kind of understanding, do you love this country absolutely yeah? And do you think Donald Trump does a lot of mass up ship?
Speaker 3: Absolutely yeah?
Speaker 1: That's the line. I mean, I think I think we are obviously free in this country and freedom in Israel. To be able to criticize leaders, to be able to say, I disagree with this policy, I don't like the way you did this, I don't like the way you prosecuted the war. Whatever the case is. That's fair game, by the way, and it's fair game here in America to be able to call that out if you disagree. Now, when some people use that as a way to promote anti Semitism and bigotry and hatred and Islamophobia, that's not okay. So I think criticizing policy, criticizing leaders fair game. When you use that as an excuse to, you know, to criticize someone because of their faith or how they look or the way they're raising their kids, I think that crosses the line.
Speaker 3: I agree. Let's stay here for a second. Right, Because I said Israeli policy, I probably say Net and Yahoo policy, right, all right? Or when you say America, do you say Trump policy?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Right? But those are the leaders at the time, So should we generalize Should they reflect the whole country? No?
Speaker 1: I think it should reflect the leaders who are in power. Yeah, yeah, I mean I'm critical of President Trump and I love this country. I mean, I serve this country. I believe in the values of this country. I believe that we're working progress and that we're always perfecting our union. I believe that we're a country that in every chapter of our American story, we grow stronger, we grow more tolerant, we grow more just. And I also believe in this American story that we have chapters where we take two steps forward and one step back. And right now we're in the midst of taking a step back. Maybe you could even argue two or three, or four or five steps back. It doesn't make me love this country any less. It actually makes me want to fight even harder to strengthen what I believe is the best of this nation.
Speaker 3: And only reason I'm asking these questions is because you know, a lot of people feel like APAC and pro Israel lobbyists have a lot of influence on elected officials here in America. Why do they have so much influence?
Speaker 1: You know, I don't know. I mean, I don't really deal with a pack. They're more dealing at the federal level. And look, I think you can broaden that out and say every lobbying group has too much power. And I think we all can agree there's way too much money in politics, and oftentimes that money brings with it under influence. My focus every day is trying to get out and be with regular folk and hear what's on their minds, and talk to parents about what they're worried about for their kids' future, and you know, sort of trying and get out of that echo chamber that oftentimes surround you when you're in the Capitol or when you're just in those circles and talk to real people every day. I think that's how I've been able to kind of keep my feel for where things are. I think it's why we're doing so well in Pennsylvania is you focus on regular people, not just the inside voices.
Speaker 3: Because I read an article in the New York Times about Democrats pulling away from APEC, so clearly it's having some impact on them politically if they feel like they got to.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think it's become a political issue. You've used it as a political issue. You've questioned federal representatives when they're on here on that. I mean, I think if I can say this to you, you know, not trying to offend you here, but I think it's a little bit of a shortcut and a little bit of a lazy question. I think the better question is how do you really feel about Israel? How you feel about a two state solution, how do you feel about the war, how do you feel about you know, the hostages or hungry kids, or what have you. I think demanding answers on those questions is more important than Hey, what about this lobbying group or that lobbying group.
Speaker 3: Well, what do you say to the critics who argue that US foreign policy on Israel is often shaped not by a national interest, well by the lobbying screenp of these.
Speaker 1: I think that's a fair conversation to have, and I think it should be on any elected official at the federal level to say, hey, I'm listening to this group, right, but by the way, there's groups on other sides too. I'm listening to that group. But at the end of the day, we want our federal representatives to be able to sit here in the chair and answer the questions about why they voted A, or why they voted B, or why they feel a certain way. And I think it's just a little lazy to say, oh, it's got to be because of that interest group. Maybe someone actually believes those views, maybe someone feels strongly about that particular way.
Speaker 3: How do you push back on the lobbyists who have so much influence.
Speaker 1: I kind of do it the way I do it, which is in my state, I focus on the needs of the people. I focus on what I hear from folks. You know. I kind of have an informal rule that I work about seven days a week. I try and only be in my physical office in the capital about three days a week, and so I'm physically out and about listening to folks. I was on that farm in Lebanon County yesterday. Tomorrow morning, I'll be in Erie, Pennsylvania. I think the more I am out and not in scripted moments, but actually just talking to real folk, hearing what's on their minds, that allows me to keep fighting for them. I'll tell you something else I do. You're gonna laugh. But I spend a lot of time in the Pennsylvanian Turnpike going different places. I will make a point to have the guys stop at a rest stop, even if I don't really need anything, just to wander through and chat with folks and see what's on their mind. Like I am always trying to find those moments where I can have the unscripted dialogue when I'm at my kids baseball game on the you know, on the sideline or at one of their games, you know, rather than just let people kind of come over to you and say, oh, hey, you know Gov, it's nice to meet her, whatever, Can you take a selfie? It's hey, tell me what's on your mind? What's going on? Like, I'm happy to do the selfie with you, But but it changed that I want to know what you're thinking about I am. I am always craving those moments where I can have those conversations. And when I can have those conversations, then quite frankly, the powerful folks in the fancy suits that wander around the Capitol become less important to how you form your views on things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I see, I loved that because you're out there connecting with people. That that's that shows real power to the people. To your point, folks in DC is connecting with the lobbyists, so they're given the power to the lobbyist. So I wonder if it's just a psychological thing, like yo, step out of DC, step out of that bubble and go show and I'm not.
Speaker 1: Look, I'm not trying to be disrespectful the people that serve in Congress. I'm sure a lot of them do what I do and and do a great job representing their their communities. I'm just telling you how I do it.
Speaker 2: Now, you eliminated for you to requirements for most state jobs I did. Why was that important? And does that kind of tell a young student I don't have to get my degree anymore?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it seems college is getting less and less and less important.
Speaker 1: Well, look, this is something I'm super passionate about. And what you didn't mention the question. It was literally the first thing I did as governor. So as soon as I got the power as governor and got the pen, I signed in executive order doing away with the college requirement to work for state government. And by the way, it's basically every job other than the doctors and the nurses and you know people that we require to have those those advanced degrees. That opened up nearly seventy thousand jobs to people without a college degree, And sixty one percent of the people we've hired over the last two and a half years i've been governor do not have a college degree. And We didn't stop there. We went and tripled funding in our state budget for more votech They got a fancy word for it now, they call it CTE and our high schools and funding for more apprenticeship programs and pre apprenticeship programs. So now what we're saying to folks is, you're in the ninth grade, you're in the tenth grade. We want to help prepare you for your future. You want to go work on a farm, you can get CTE training in dairy herd management. You want to be a welder and work on a big construction project, because God knows we need a whole lot more of that in this country. We'll show you in tenth, eleven, twelfth grade how to do it, and then we'll have a pipeline right into an apprenticeship program that the state is helping fund, and then you'll be out in a job, by the way, making over one hundred thousand dollars a year. We want people to see avenues to success and opportunity, where they choose to go to college, they choose to go to the military, they choose to go into the workforce in a union hall, whatever. And the most important thing here in view is I want to treat all of those pathways with respect. And you treat those pathways with respect by how you speak about them. But also your budgets show your values, and so we are investing in those things. And as a result, I've got thirty five thousand new Pennsylvanians who are going through an apprenticeship. I got young people who are now getting jobs that they never knew existed because they were exposed to it in high school. When we did away with the college degear requirement for our state police, we saw two hundred and forty percent increase in the number of applications to be a state trooper, and by the way, far more diverse applications than we've ever had before. If you look at this from the standpoint of right or wrong, man, I know we're doing what's right to give more people opportunity. I think you know every single Americans have the freedom to chart their own course, the opportunity to succeed. But you want to come back to politics. We've talked a lot about politics today. Do you know how freaking dumb it is to not do this politically? Let me explain. Sixty two percent of Pennsylvania adults don't have a college degree. So you think about where our party has been over the last twenty years. Everything's been about get a college. You're you can do this, yout college are gonna do that. And by the way, I'm not dissing on college, right, I went to college. But if you talk like that, you are now saying to sixty two percent of people, we disrespect you. And what you're really doing is you're developing plans only for thirty eight percent of folks. We last I checked, you need fifty percent plus one to win elections. And so to me, it was dumb politically, but it was also just wrong to treat people with a lack of respect if they chose to go work at a construction site or work on a farm, or decide to take the skills they have and not go to college but go directly in the workforce or go to the military. We have changed that in Pennsylvania, not just with that executive order, but with all of the funding decisions we've made from there to give more people an opportunity.
Speaker 3: That's crazy, because those are people that really make the world go around. Yeah, people that are on those construction site. Yeah, people that are in the trade industry. Yeah, those people that really make the world go around. Let me let me.
Speaker 1: Put an exclamation point on that. They are the ones who make the world gorount. America used to have an amazing history of shipbuilding, right. Building is big ships for the Navy and stuff like that. Do you know We've got the oldest shipyard in America in Philadelphia. It's actually where the US Navy began. We just celebrated the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the Navy and the Marines as well. This shipyard currently produces one and a half of these massive ships a year. They build one and a half ships a year. We just worked out a deal with the Korean government and a company called Hanwa where at that site they're going to now make eleven or twelve ships a year. By the way, in China they're making that each month. They're making more than that each month. So America's got a long way to go. Why am I bringing this up because to get to that eleven or twelve we don't have enough welders right now to be able to do that work. America stopped training the people that were building the stuff that we need for this country too many years ago, and we've got to get back to developing those talents so we can build these ships, we can build buildings, we can do big things again in America. And the way we do that is by having folks who have those skills, and we're investing in those skills in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 5: That's old you guys are doing with the PA Sites program to the thirty nine million. Yeah, yeah, that's why. So that will help with a lot of the jobs that you're talking about. There will be more jobs for those people who didn't be Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, So we put a half a billion dollars aside to take these old abandoned coal mines and these old industrial sites where nothing's been going on for forty or fifty years. I was just standing on one of those sites in Archbald, Pennsylvania, which is like near Scranton in northeastern Pennsylvania, and for a few tens of millions of dollars, we're going to turn that into a place that's going to thousands of construction jobs and over one thousand permanent jobs. When I was having CEOs come and say, hey, we want to come to Pennsylvania, show us the sites where we can build our box our building, like we don't have any now we have them. And so when you do that, you really turn this dirt into freedom and opportunity and you build these sites that are going to employ thousands of people. This is a big deal, especially in communities that have been hollowed out and left behind, primarily in rural parts of my state that have just been ignored for so long. And I think is really important that these people growing up in these communities see opportunity for their kids, and I'm working really hard to do that in this sites program. So developing these grounds for companies that want to come in and do business is a really critical part of that.
Speaker 3: It's got a few more questions for you. Thank you for your time, but sure, what's your message to people future voters in particular, who feel like every politician Democrat are Republican is bought.
Speaker 1: Look at my record and focus on the three letters that I focus on every day, GSD, get shit done. That is my motto every day. Look, I can't please all the people all the time. I can't say that every single pennsylvani is going to have the same worldview I have agreed with me on every issue. But if I can put points on the board for them every day. If I can show them that their kid got help health care, that the building got built, that the job was available to them, like real things, that is what we need more of in government, where people see tangible results. Look, I think one of the reasons why poll after poll after poll shows across this country people are down. They think we're heading in the wrong direction. They're pessimistic. I think in part it's because they view government is actually not solving problems anymore. One of the things I thought was amazing was after we fixed nine ninety five, Member I ninety five collapsed and the experts said it was going to take months to rebuild. We got it rebuilt with the amazing Philadelphia building trades in just twelve days.
Speaker 3: The number of.
Speaker 1: People came over to me and said, man, I don't drive on nine ninety five, but that was amazing that government can still do something like that. I think people have grown so hopeless and so down, and so to me is someone who actually believes government can be a force for good in people's lives. If I can show my work, put points on the board, get shit done for them every day, even if they disagree with me on some issue here there, They're at least going to know I'm fighting for them, getting stuff done for them, and that is what I think we need more of in government.
Speaker 3: Is it possible for an elected official to get a million of dollars from you know, corporate donors or even lobbying interested and still really work for the people over those Yeah.
Speaker 1: Look, I mean you've asked me a few questions on that, and clearly I know you're bothered by that. I think we're all bothered by the amount of money in politics, particularly the dark money that nobody kind of knows where it's coming from. But I think you know, largely the voters. I'll just speak to Pennsylvania. They're smart, they know who's on their side. They see it. I got voters who sometimes show up and vote for Republicans, sometimes vote for Democrats. They get it. I think that dark money can pollute, it sometimes can crowd out the voices sometimes, but overall, I think voters are a lot smarter and they could see through that when the.
Speaker 3: Last time you told a donor no, even though it costs you politically.
Speaker 1: That's happened many times in my career, and I'm not suggesting anything unethical or illegal, or the donor was trying to do anything unethical or illegal. But yeah, I've had them, you know, sometimes say to me, well, I would I believe in this and that and the other thing, And I'll say, look, you know what, keep your money. I'm happy to be your friend, but I don't believe in that, and I'm not going to do that. And again, nothing wrong or unethical or illegal. But they've got a different view on things than I do. And frankly, I'm not interested in, you know, having their support if you know, we're going to look at things differently on those fronts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, honestly, I don't have a problem with people taking the money. It's just that when you take the money and you're beholden to them' That's what I would tell elected officials. You don't have to be beholden to them.
Speaker 1: Look, I feel blessed. I've got a whole lot of people who have invested in my campaigns over time. By the way, I'm sure some of them don't agree with some of the things that I stand for, but they believe in in my approach to governing and the work I'm trying to do to help other people, and I feel has to have their support. But I can tell you there's there's not one donor or one group or whatever that I go Oh man, I got to please them. So I'm going to do something that I disagree with. I mean, I wouldn't be able to live with myself. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.
Speaker 3: People are going to people will always assume it's APEC though APAK is the boogeyman in all.
Speaker 1: Of It's code for a lot. Yeah, and it's what I said to you before and again, you know, I mean this with respect. I think in some ways it's a lazy shortcut. I think it's more important that folks are being forced to answer questions about what they see as necessary for that region or on that topic, or on that that issue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just wonder if it's something that politicians are going to have to continue to explain in the future.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that is that is fair. I think if you're a politician and you take a dollar from someone, you need to be able to justify taking that dollar. And the justification could be, hey, look, they invested in my campaign. Doesn't mean I agree with them on every issue. A lot of people invest in the campaign, right, I mean, I think that the burden is on the elected official or the candidate running for office on that front, for sure, I think that's fair. But I think to just kind of presuppose, well, took a dollar from Charlie Mane, you must agree with everything Charla Maine thinks. I don't think that's fair, And that's.
Speaker 3: What people want. People want to make sure that they want you to ensure them that just because you took money from these lobby groups, that these lobby groups don't have the influence over your decision making. I think.
Speaker 1: Look, one of the things that I appreciate so much about how the people Pennsylvania view me, and we see this in elections and polls after polls, that they see me as being an independent voice and being someone on their side. And I'm proud of that.
Speaker 3: That's what it is. I know.
Speaker 4: You have one last question.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I just saw that they made an arrest yesterday in the Cada Scott, the missing girl in Philadelphia. Are you familiar with the story. I just wanted to know because it seems like they're the police that are having issues with locate I mean, she's still missing, but they don't have anything that they're tracing, like no cell phone, no anything. Do you guys bring in additional resources there, because I'm so so Kaida Scott as a young woman. She's twenty three. She went young black women went missing in Philadelphia from work. She was being a harassed via phone by someone. Prior to that, she told her parents. Now she's missing. She's been missing for some time. They just made an arrest in the case, a young man, but they haven't told us what the tie to him is in the case. But it seems like though they're having issues with finding like her footsteps leading up to that, like cell phone, anything, or just whereabouts whatsoever.
Speaker 1: I don't want to get ahead of the police on this. It is an awful, awful case and just my prayers go out to her family. I can tell you that the Pennsylvania State Police, which I ever see through through our State Police Commissioner, we work very closely with local authorities, including the Philadelphia Police and the Philadelfia Police, are outstanding in these cases and I've confidence that they'll get to the bottom of it. Our technology, our unique know how, the tool we have to solve these kinds of cases are always brought to bear to work with our municipal partners to make sure that we address crime in our communities. I mean, this is an awful case, and hopefully they'll get to the bottom of it. I would also just caution you, you know, I mean disrespectful to you and anyone in the media. There are lots of cases where we can't share all the information with the media as we're working them, because sometimes you don't want something to come out at first. Ultimately, you know, you provide that transparency when the case is sort of closed. But we're kind of still in the midst of this one right now, and so I think, you know, not everything is being shared. But I got a lot of faith in the Philadelphia Police, and I can tell you that the Pennsylvania State Police is always get They're ready to support them in every other municipal department.
Speaker 3: I got one last question. You got a sixty two percent approval rate, right? How do you measure success by polling numbers? Are lives changed? Oh?
Speaker 1: Lives changed? And look for as for as wonderful it is to have a sixty two percent approval rating in the toughest state in the country to run in, I still rely not on the data that you cite, but the feel I get from people, whether on their farms and you know, downtown in you know, Pittsburgh, Center City, Philly, walking down the street, having someone stop me and go yogav and talk to me about something. That's where I get my feel from. And you know, I measure it in terms of what people tell me they want done and going out and doing it and the people's lives I touch along the way. I gotta tell you, I mean, for me, the motivation is not seeing a poll like that. It's when someone says, hey, Gov, five years ago, I reached out to you, and you know you were Returney General back then, but you took on my case and you helped me get you know, get back my money after someone tried to scam me. That's the stuff that fills up my cup. And you know, it kind of goes back to the first question, or one of the first questions you asked, you know, why do you do this? And what happens if your kids told you not to do it. I'm one of these people that is motivated by helping others, and I do. I do get fulfillment from people telling me I made their lives better, and and there's there's just an extraordinary feeling that you get from that. It's it's how I was raised, It's what my faith has taught me, and and that is what motivates me. Not you know, numbers in a poll. I'm grateful for that support, but knowing I changed someone's life, knowing I made it better, and and and pursuing the next thing and the next thing and the next thing. That's gonna help my communities out.
Speaker 3: You know, a life that h that that governor shaperial change that he doesn't talk about is Wallow. He's the one who pardoned Wallow. What made you want to pardon Wallow?
Speaker 1: I think there are people out there who had one bad day, or in Wallow's case, had a few bad days. Let's let's be real, and there are those that don't learn from that, and they end up living sad and tragic lives, oftentimes in jail or in places that are dangerous for them. And then there are other people. And while it's a great example that he happens to be famous, so you know about him, but there's a whole lot of people who aren't famous who do this, who learn from that bad day who learn from those bad decisions, and they not only turn their lives around for themselves, but they then make a difference for others. And those are the people that I try to find. Those are the people whose cases I want to come across my desk so I can fix my signature to a pardon for them. That is an enormous power that a governor has to be able to sign your name and wipe away someone's bad deeds and give them an opportunity in life again. And I will tell you I take that power really, really seriously. Wallow Earn that he earned the right to have his case come across my desk, and he earned my signature because of the way in which he's lived his life and help make other lives better. The way he's helped other people get back on the right track, the way he's helped other people achieve prosperity for them and their families. The way he's I think, in many ways changed an industry, whether it's music or the kind of influencer industry or what have you. I mean, he's done extraordinary things, and I'm proud of him. And I'll tell you what else I told him. I don't think he'd mind me sharing this. And I've said this to others who we've given second chances to, including those who have granted clemency to, which means letting them out of jail even though they're facing a life sentence. I tell them, don't screw up, because you are now an example to others. I said that to Meek. I've said that to a number of folks. You now have an enormous power to do good in the world, but you're also an example, and you've got an awesome amount of pressure and responsibility on you, and so live your life in a way where you acknowledge that pressure, you acknowledge that responsibility. And man, while I has done that, and I'm really really proud of them, and I try and check in on him every so often, and checking on others who I've issued pardons to or clemency's too, just to see how they're doing.
Speaker 3: Help me too. Yeah, yeah, but he didn't want to be on the helicopter. He didn't want to do no photo ops or anything.
Speaker 1: He's like, Nope, no, because that's not what it's about. This isn't about me being able to stand next to Meek or Wallow and you know some press thing. This is about knowing that they did the hard work to get their lives back together. And I've got this unique power for this moment in time as governor where I can give them some extra help. But with that comes a responsibility and they've got to own up to their end of the bargain. And they are.
Speaker 5: The way you are is how the spirit of so many other people in government should be. Like just the spirit I get from you in this conversation, like you absolutely there's a genuine care for people to end up well. I agree, and that you don't feel that all the time.
Speaker 3: Hopefully, Thank you. I hope we've got free and fair elections in twenty twenty eight. Now you can be in the mix.
Speaker 5: They hope they get it right.
Speaker 1: We're going to work to make sure we got free and fair elections.
Speaker 4: His governant, jos Shapperio. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Thanks guys always, and we'll see we're out. We're out.
Speaker 4: We'll see you in another week to too.
Speaker 1: I look forward to Thank you, Philly. Is that we're just gonna leave it there. Listen, you want to do this, we can do this, Okay. I think you guys are exciting Jackson Dart is seemingly pretty good. Scataboo is pretty pretty good. You lost you lost U neighbor, Milik neighbors unfortunately. Uh. But you cannot over a long season hang with the Eagles. You just can't. You just can't. I can pray, you can pray all you want, but you ain't gonna be able to do it over a long season. But they are a team now seemingly on the upswing, which I think is uh is a good thing. And and look, the Birds have stumbled a little bit over the last couple of weeks, but we'll get it back together, all right. Championship team right there.
Speaker 4: Governor Josh Appio is the Breakfast Club. Good morning, wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 3: The Breakfast three