Speaker 1: As you may have heard, Meat Eater is hitting the road again this spring for another round of Meat Eater Live. Join us for a fun night celebrating the outdoor lifestyle. We'll deliver laughs, trivia, news and opinion from across the worlds of hunting, fishing, wildlife, conservation and wild foods. And here's another reason to come. Every ticket includes a signed copy of the new Meat Eater Outdoor cookbook, Wild Game Recipes for the Grill, Smoker, Campstove and Campfire, which is a thirty eight dollars value. All ages are welcome. Tickets are on sale now and here's where we're going. Tuesday, April twenty third. The Mesa Arts Center in Mesa, Arizona, Wednesday April twenty fourth. The Balboa Theater in San Diego Thursday April twenty fifth, The Grove in Anaheim, California, Saturday, April twenty seventh. The Crest Theater in Sacramento Monday, April twenty ninth. The Union in Salt Lake City Tuesday April thirtieth, The Egyptian in Boys Wednesday, May first, The Wilma in Missoula Thursday, May second, The Bing Crosby Theater in Spokane Saturday, May fourth, the Revolution Hall in Portland, Oregon, Sunday May fifth, Pantageous Theater in Tacoma. For tickets and more information, visit the events page on the medeater dot com or the theater websites. And if you're not able to make it to the show, but are still interested in getting your hands on a signed copy of the new Meat Eater Outdoor Cookbook, you can do so at Signed Outdoor Cookbook dot com. That's Signed Outdoorcookbook dot com and Barnes and Noble Online. It's media podcast. Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer new Art and today we're joined by Steve Michael, Keith, Mary Clairecoh, Kyle Logan and Brad This is a ten round quiz show with questions from meat Eater's four verticals which are hunting, fishing, conservation and cooking. And there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing. And today we are live at the First Light Store in Hayley, Idaho, And because we have a bunch of new players with us today. We're going to go around the room and get some introductions. We'll start right over here with Brad.
Speaker 2: My name is Brad Flutter. I work on the operations team here at First Light, just helping them, working with our factories and warehouses, making sure that customers get their orders and stuff gets where it needs to go.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you a secret, Bread, I've never heard anybody in the history of the company pronounce your last name Flutter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's always Floater. He said it wrong.
Speaker 1: So are you wrong or is everyone else wrong?
Speaker 2: I like to think I'm right, or at least my parents are engaged in a twenty nine year old Why.
Speaker 1: It's now on the record it is Flutter, not Floater. I'm stunned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it took Chase like a year and a half before he realized. I thought he was just running like a bit.
Speaker 4: Okay. I'm Claire over I'm the e commerce experience and systems manager. I designed pages on our commerce sites and make sure it all runs well.
Speaker 1: Claire, I hear everybody get your last name right a way.
Speaker 4: She has a lot of people say over bye, actually, so I think.
Speaker 5: That one.
Speaker 3: Over by over By Haley Hi, I'm Mary Gibson.
Speaker 6: I'm the assistant manager here at the First Light flagship store in Haley.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a beautiful store. Thank you fun being here, Keith. Would she like to work with give us the insight?
Speaker 7: Oh, Mary's great. She's just an all star. She's always up to do whatever is Needa done in the store with a big smile. Lover to death.
Speaker 3: That seemed pretty genuine because it was really awkward. Awkward for him there, that's.
Speaker 1: An easy He's the answer for me, the rock star fast right back at you.
Speaker 6: I'm Cody Dinsmore. I'm the marketing coordinator for first Light. Handle the social media.
Speaker 1: So when you had your phone out all morning, you weren't you weren't.
Speaker 6: Being rude, You're now I was making content. Yeah, welcome, Keldy.
Speaker 8: I'm Michael Reidfeld Guys and Outfitters program manager for first Light. YEP, so handle all the guys and outfitters, bring them, you know, important industry professionals into the fold, getting in our gear and helping them out.
Speaker 1: Michael, I've been told from the beginning, Uh maybe not to your knowledge, that you're a contender today. O. Folks think you have a chance how old are you?
Speaker 5: Thirty seven?
Speaker 8: Age matters, man, I know, kind of one of the oldies in the office.
Speaker 3: You're up in the you're getting into the winning years. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, experience matters, right.
Speaker 3: Because you'd be like, man, I kind of remember that move. Yeah, that's that's that's helpful.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's a lot of the ninety stuff, you know, I was hoping for less Taylor Swift questions and Travis Kelsey, none of those today.
Speaker 5: That's my.
Speaker 9: Name is Kyle O'Connell. I'm a customer support and gear specialist. So anytime a customer calls in with an email, a chat or a phone call, we're the ones you answer it. So we answer like all the simple stuff like where's my return? Like how do we do an exchange? But also some of the gear questions. So anytime you have a question about FHF First Sight gear, I'll be the one on the phone talking to you.
Speaker 3: Kyle.
Speaker 1: I feel like I heard you earlier, declared the new guy.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I am the newest person at the company right now. How new since October? Not the newest, but as far as first Light in players.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Well we'll see how that helps you with meat Eater Trivia. Now we're over to Logan. Logan is the only one besides Steve here who has played meat eater trivia before. That is true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when did you no? No, no, no, In fact, I did well blow or above part? Did you get kicked out like toward the end?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well actually no, it was actually no. One did really well.
Speaker 3: I think six took it and I four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Logan, what do you do here? First light, I work on our product.
Speaker 10: Team, specifically on a lot of our waterfowl and white tail product.
Speaker 7: Keith antspa manager at the store here in Haley, Idaho. Super lucky to spend my time in here. Gonna be a hunting bartender to all the folks coming in and out of the store.
Speaker 5: It's a it's a good gig.
Speaker 1: Keith is a fellow rock hound. If I was cheering for somebody today, I don't cheer for people as a host, but maybe cheer for Keith. Keith has been setting me all sorts of pins to go rock hounding in Idaho. It's the start of a blossoming relationship between Keith and I.
Speaker 7: We're gonna have fun, man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Steve, what's your early read on your competitors today.
Speaker 3: I'm only going by age.
Speaker 11: Whoever's oldest, Okay, I guess, Mary and I.
Speaker 1: Now today's show is unique because we're recording from the First Light Store and have a live audience. They are about a dozen First Light employees gathered around watching, so we're going to put them to use. Now, if you're familiar with the board game, you'll know that we have rules for eight game variations you can play. One of them is called Phone a Friend, where each player gets one opportunity per game to call someone for their input on a question. We're gonna do that today, but instead of whipping out your phones, you'll call on one of our audience members in the First Light Store. So if you're stumped on a question but think one of your First Light colleagues would know the answer, then you can bring them to the mic for their help. And if multiple of you use Phone a Friend on the same question, then you'll all need to agree on who that friend is. So audience be paying attention. You're gonna have a chance to help out your colleagues here. If you like them, I guess. If you don't like them, you could just you know, give them the wrong answer or something.
Speaker 3: Now, how are you doing like the old throwing a bone situation? Right now? You're not able to do that.
Speaker 1: I think you'll know when we when we get to the bone. Uh for the first light, That was the first thing I Askedpencer this morning. He did Logan asked me before I even said Hi, I say, hey, do we have a bone today? Or what's the situation?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: Are we gonna give Steve the phone a friend as well? What do you guys think should Steve okay shaking their head, no, audience, should he get your help as well?
Speaker 5: Or not?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, Steve does not get to use phone a frame. Our other our other eight players do. Now this is use it or lose it. So don't be like, uh, saving this for the perfect question, because it may never come. So if you're stumped on one you think someone sitting behind us will know the answer, go ahead and bring them onto the show. Now there's no stat I F a Q or housekeeping this week. The Shelby Index for this episode is a three, so our winner should get six correct answers, and with that we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop, Phil, Look, I need to know what I stay under win everything?
Speaker 3: How's that just tend to win everything?
Speaker 7: Damon suckers.
Speaker 1: Question one the topic is public lands. This first great question comes to us via Brian Fitzgerald, and as always, it will be multiple choice. America's three tallest waterfalls are all located on public land in this state? Is it Hawaii, Idaho, Alaska, or Tennessee. America's three tallest waterfalls are all located on public land in this state? Is it Hawaii, Idaho, Alaska, or Tennessee. This will be the only multiple choice question out of the ten that you get today. Nobody looks confident. Everyone has been slow to come up with an answer. Three tallest waterfalls located in this state Hawaii, Idaho, Alaska, Tennessee. Does anybody feel confident?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Starting off strong, The room looks stumped. Is everybody ready? No one's using their phone a friend on this one. I think that's wise. If you guys are stumped.
Speaker 3: Because none of your buddies are gonna know this, the.
Speaker 1: Audience must be stumped as well. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brad saying Alaska, Claire saying Alaska. We have Mary saying Hawaii, Cody saying Alaska, Michael saying California, Kyle sang Alaska, Logan saying Hawaii, Keith saying Hawaii, Steve saying Hawaii. The correct answer is Hawaii. About half of you got that one right. Olaupena Falls is the tallest waterfall in America and the fourth tallest waterfall in the world. It is twenty nine hundred and fifty three feet tall, which makes it twice as tall as Chicago Sea Tower. Of the top ten waterfalls in America, four are in Hawaii, four are in Washington, one is in California, and one is in Montana.
Speaker 3: We made that tricky. Is the public land situation? Hawaii is the weirds. It's not like national forests and stuff. You know what is it? I don't know. It's I don't even know.
Speaker 1: When you look on on X, it's like a lot of shades of colors that you don't see.
Speaker 3: Law. Yeah, it's not like a BLM national forest. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Question two the topic is cooking. This next great question is via Ali Lopez. Au translates to with blank in French. Aju that's au space Jus translates to with blank in French. His question to Steve, do you know this one. You were the quickest to come up with a names. Kind of okay, kind of ou translates to with blank in French.
Speaker 5: Can use a phone friend at this time?
Speaker 3: You can?
Speaker 1: You can, absolutely. We'll hold it to the end, so we'll wait until everyone else has settled on their answer. And if you're going to use phone a friend, do you know who you're gonna call on?
Speaker 3: Keith? Okay French, Yeah, she speaks French.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're gonna have about seven other people use phone a friend as well.
Speaker 3: Here's the deal. When they phone a friend, how do you prevent me from just overhearing what they said?
Speaker 1: Well, no that you'll hear what they said, but you just can't change your answer. At that point you will leave your board down. So when we're ready to do phone a Friend, everyone's answers are locked in.
Speaker 3: So then everybody here can listen, but I don't.
Speaker 1: They can. No, you can listen as well. No your answering, you're not going to change your board. That's what's gonna happen. You're not going to change your board. Is everybody who's not using phone a Friend have an answer.
Speaker 4: I think I'm also going to use phone a friend. But my dad is going to be pissed about it. Okay, No, but it's like he puts O with every sandwich. There's not a sandwich that can't have OU with.
Speaker 1: It translates to with blame.
Speaker 3: She's doing that kind of Oh okay, but that it's all gonna go out the window one day. Okay.
Speaker 1: So we have Keith and Claire using phone a friend, no one else. Okay, about half of our players are using everyone else your answers, Your answers are locked in. You're not going to change him. Do you guys agree on who's gonna come up and help you out? Who are you thinking of?
Speaker 5: Renee speaks French.
Speaker 1: Everyone everyone agrees, Renee, that's who you want to come up? Renee, come up and help out our players? Uh Ozu translates to with what yeah, what do you got? She says juice? Uh We have a few fist pumps from the folks who didn't use phone of frame on that one is everybody? Are you guys going with what Renee says? You trust her? Okay, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brad saying juice, Claire saying juice, Mary saying juice Cody saying juice, Michael saying juice. Everybody said juice. Everybody got it right. The correct answer is juice. What were you guys going to go with if you didn't get the help from renee soup.
Speaker 3: Renee?
Speaker 1: What would that translate to if it was with soup instead? Okay, that's not it, though. Culinarian language snobs get picky about the use of the phrase and will point out that it's redundant to say something comes with ajo. That would be like saying a steak is served with with juice. For an azuu recipe that has a perfect five star rating, check out Danielle Pruitt's post on the medieater dot com called Sue V. Venison roast recipe.
Speaker 3: When ic work for my buddy Ronnie Bain, you got a there was per diem when you traveled? Huh and the concept uh is that Latin? Whatever it was? All the guys would say, you get twenty dollars per diem per day, and I gave up trying to point out.
Speaker 1: So it wasn't ironic that they were doing. Question three, the topic is gear tell you ride. Colorado is located inside this National Forest, which also happens to be the name of the starlight jacket. Tell you ride Colorado is located inside this national forest, which also happens to be the name of a first light jacket. This is the bone I am throwing to our players. We have Logan who is looking around the room trying to see what he can find on the shelves, anything will help him out. Oh, I hear someone behind us knows this. Which of our players are feeling confident? Anybody? Okay, Steve, do you have any idea? Okay, tell you ride Colorado is located inside this national forest, which also happen depends to be the name of a first light jacket.
Speaker 3: I think you're throwing some real softballs this morning, man. But it's like it's a little bit insulting to the.
Speaker 1: It's his only question three.
Speaker 3: It's insulting to the audience. Dude. He's like, Oh, these people aren't smart down in Idaho.
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready? Steve said that?
Speaker 4: Not me?
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have everybody saying uncompahgre and they got it right. The correct answer is unco.
Speaker 3: So that's as far as Shelby made it right there.
Speaker 1: Well, she only got three rights. Yeah. The National Force is named after the Uncompahgre tribe who used to call the region home. In the Ute language, the word means rocks that make water red. The National Forest is famous for its million dollar Highway, which supposedly got that name for its million dollar views. What are some creative ways you guys have heard that jacket pronounced?
Speaker 8: I was gonna say, we have some bonus trevia what our customers call it?
Speaker 1: Give us some examples?
Speaker 5: Two of them? Can I? But I guess what the two are.
Speaker 7: Uncle Padre, I get I get them called the unk poo pooh from time to time.
Speaker 8: We haven't had that one nicknamed it.
Speaker 4: The unpronounced.
Speaker 3: That good.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you keep naming things after it. It's getting uh, the lord is getting deeper and deeper. Question for the topic is fishing. This fish has been referred to as the vampire fish by Business Insider, CNN and Fox News. This is question four the vampire It's well, uh, you to figure out the one that was referred to as the vampire fish by Business Insider, CNN and Fox News. What it's a nickname? Quote the vampire fish. Steve just declared the game is too easy. Well, then got dumb, non ground.
Speaker 3: And then dum, I'm just looking for good. This is a good one because there's a vampire fish.
Speaker 1: Dude, what what would uh you know? Business Insider CNN and Fox News be writing about that, they would call this fish the vampire fish. This fish has been referred to as the vampire fish business Insider, CNN and Fox News. Do you think Business Insider has ever written about the actual vampire fish that hails from what like Central Africa, South America? Okay, probably not. Does anybody in our audience know in case someone wants to use a phone a friend here? No, they're also stumped. We may have a zero percenter here followed by a one hundred percent referred to as the vampire fish.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Okay, So when behind us declared they think they might have a guess, I'm gonna bring in I feel like a strong you.
Speaker 3: Might have a guess as you like you almost can't guess six?
Speaker 1: You're gonna go with that, Brad, You're gonna I think.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna save those odds for later. I think I think Chase has got one later.
Speaker 1: Question four, does everybody have an answer?
Speaker 3: Almost can't guess?
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brad saying agent Karp Clay without an answer, Mary saying piranha. We have Cody without an answer, Michael saying lamprey, Kyle saying snaggeltooth, shark, Logan saying lamprey, Keith saying snakehead. Steve saying snakehead. We have a correct answer in the room. It's lamprey. Two of you. Let's got that right, Man and Logan because it can't be because it sucks blood. M hm.
Speaker 3: But I thought this because they're like pretty durable be killed.
Speaker 1: Well that's not whats Insiders CNN and Fox News refer to it as you should have gone with the train of thinking of it sucks blood suckers. In folklore, the fish are also referred to as the nine eyed eel. This name goes back to Roman times when Vidus Polio kept a pool of lamprey on his property. He threatened to feed his slaves to the lamprey if they misbehaved. Maybe, first light, should I get a little lamprey pool around here.
Speaker 5: You guys can name a jacket after it.
Speaker 3: Oh, there we go. You don't know the reason why it wouldn't have been snakehead. Is If your name's already as cool as snakehead, you don't need like it, you know, I mean, you don't need a nickname because you already got a badass name like a lamprey. That doesn't tell you anything.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. We're on to question five. The topic is hunting. This is an audio question. Phil is going to play you forty five seconds of a song about a hunting dog. You need to tell me who the artist is. Take it away, Phil.
Speaker 12: He was around on a little about a plenty mean, put Simon's in and he never let up, spends on a boat and on a bear bone. Now he's underground and I'm all alone. Well, a good dog on the grounds worth three in the saddle where you're from.
Speaker 1: Folks behind us are singing it. I think they might know it.
Speaker 12: The greatest one.
Speaker 3: He was a hound of hounds. He was wonder of all walkers.
Speaker 4: He loved.
Speaker 12: He loved treating that racoon. Most of all, he was my best friend.
Speaker 3: And he's gone to again.
Speaker 1: To get this right, you need to tell me who the artist is that sang that song about Sam the haunting dog.
Speaker 3: I would like to phone my friend, Nate.
Speaker 1: Lekowski, okay, Brad it okay, we have a couple phone of friends. You guys will hold your answers until everyone else has locked in their answers. Steve, if you ever heard that song with.
Speaker 3: It somehow seems like a song I would have heard a bunch.
Speaker 1: So we have two players who seem like they'll get it right because they're gonna use their Phone a Friend. Is anyone else confident? Logan coming up with an answer. The rest of our players look stumped. About half of them have cashed in their Phone a Friend by now, okay, we also have Michael. He's going to use it. We're gonna be down to Is it just Mary, You're gonna be the only one who has to use Phone a Friend?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Okay, So everyone's we're halfway through the game and everyone has used Phone a Friend. This is like if you know, you did a chore for the neighbor and they gave you five dollars and they're like, you know, don't don't spend it all at once. And here we are question five. The phone of friends have all been used. Does everyone else else have their answers locked in?
Speaker 7: All?
Speaker 3: Right? They have?
Speaker 1: They're not going to change your answer. Who's gonna who's gonna come up and help?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna I'm gonna pick Nate and Potoski.
Speaker 1: Everyone agree on that. You You're all good with Nate being the phone of friend Nate. What's the answer, Simpson? Our other players are groaning? Board or other players are groaning. Nate, who is named after a great rock from Lake Superior that I'm hoping to find this year, says that it is Stergel Simpson, after me, Oh, there we go.
Speaker 3: I like that part of the family. I haven't.
Speaker 5: I think the rock. I think the rock is actually named Nate as a is.
Speaker 1: Everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have this whole side of the room saying Sirgil Simpson, except for Claire saying what I say? This was wrong, Johnny Cash, Kyle without an answer, Logan saying Waylon Jennings, Keith saying Whalen, Steve saying Haggard. The correct answer is Stergel Simpson.
Speaker 3: I'm mad because I think I have helps.
Speaker 1: That song is from Stergil Simpson's twenty twenty one album The Ballad of Dude and Juanita. The entire album is set in Kentucky during the Civil War. It's about the sharpshooting dude and his beloved juan Nita, who is kidnapped by an outlaw. After the abduction, the dude sets off to rescue Jannita with the help of his mule, Shamrock and dog. Sam Simpson said he came up with the story while driving home from filming Killers of the Flower Moon. Phil, we're halfway through the game of trivia. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 11: Okay, we've got Kyle and Claire with two points apiece. Steve has three, so do Keith, Cody and Brad and all tied up in first place are Logan, Mary and Michael with four points.
Speaker 1: I set it before the game. Well, I think Logan did declare. Logan also declared that everyone else is kind of playing for second place, thinking that Steve would walk his way to an easy victory. But here we are he's one point behind three other folks. Question six. The topic is woodsmanship. This is our listener question of the Week, which was won by Drew Sinko for sending this great question. Drew is going to get a board game signed by the crew if you want a chance to win the listener question of the week, then send your question to Trivia at the medeater dot com. Galch and gorge are synonyms for this five letter word that's defined as quote a ravine formed by the action of water. The topic is woodsmanship. Galch and gorge are synonyms for this five letter word that's defined as a ravine formed by the action of water. No one has put marker to whiteboard yet they're thinking very hard. Five letter word. Galch and gorge are synonyms, and the definition is a ravine formed by the action of water. Steve has declared before that you'd learned a lot about a player by the orientation of their whiteboard, and it seems as though this crew is about half and half going vertical versus horizontal. Was there any thought put into that or you guys just like Steve, Oh okay, that's uh, you know it does. That's a good strategy.
Speaker 3: My boards, my board is so new, it's off gas and it smells like new carpet.
Speaker 1: These are new whiteboards. Our old whiteboards are entering the Meat Eater auction House of Oodities, so you can get the real whiteboards that we played with for three years that are covered in graffiti by the crew. Some of them are broken. Steve was asking if we're going to sell them as is, because every now and then players like Steve will get frustrated and hit them on the table. And we have a lot of whiteboards that are all broken. So you can go win those in the auction house. Yeah, we'll include the parts you could. You could if you want a duck table in a gloom do whatever. There will also be a signed board game in that uh, in that auction signed by Steve, myself, Cal and Yanni. To check out the auction house coming out later this month.
Speaker 3: Just a lot of good stuff.
Speaker 1: Were on question six again. Topics woodsmanship, galch and gorge are synonyms for this five letter word that's defined as a ravine formed by the action of water.
Speaker 3: Oh, we're putting one of the Clovis thrusting spears from the k the Kent State Archaeology Organization in there. Very good.
Speaker 1: Give us a few other examples. What else you know is going in there?
Speaker 3: Uh? Putting some uh, some furs out of my personal collection. Oh, very nice. We have a fur fob vinyl harness we have.
Speaker 1: Are these furs? Are they like Tier one?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Okay, take your pick.
Speaker 1: Good on, y.
Speaker 3: God, I don't know. There's a ton of stuff. I'm just trying to struggle.
Speaker 1: Jewelry made by my wife that we collected my hand rock counting, and then she turned some of that stuff into earrings and necklaces.
Speaker 3: Beaver fur pillows.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, those were given to us and the live show in the uh.
Speaker 3: There's some trips. There's trips in there. There's an there's an odd ad hunting, there.
Speaker 1: A lot of things. Go check that out. It'll be up in march.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 1: Does everybody have an answer? Who's gonna come up with an answer? Steve? How do you feel about your answer? You think you got it?
Speaker 3: A spelt canyon rock.
Speaker 1: Okay, everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brad saying break, Claire saying gully, Mary saying creek, Cody without an answer, Michael saying holler, Kyle without an answer, Logan saying Draine, Keith saying gully, Steve saying chasm. The correct answer is gully. A few of you, Oh God, that right of a bit. There are rules about the difference between gulch, gorge, and gully, but most agree that gorges are the biggest, and gullies are the smallest. Gorges usually have streams running through them, while gulches and gullies are typically dry but prone to flash floods. Does that check out now, Steve?
Speaker 3: Yeah, those agree? Gully problem is I got onto that auction house of bodities and stopped thinking about my answer.
Speaker 1: We distracted him. Well done. Question seven, The topic is hunting? Which two Looney Tunes characters had their guns taken away in twenty twenty? This is question seven. Topic is hunting? Which two Looney Tunes characters had their guns taken away in twenty twenty? Those folks with kids who are currently playing are the Looney Tunes still relevant? Is that something that's that's ever been on at your house? Steve?
Speaker 3: No, they don't watch you Looney Tunes.
Speaker 7: No, it's all about cocoa melon and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: OK.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's awful.
Speaker 3: They were. They were into Looney Tunes for a while. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Which two Looney Tunes characters had their guns taken away? First and last name? Twenty? If they if they have If they have three words in their name, put all three. If they have one word, just put the one. If they got two put two. That's what I'll tell you. Logan, which two Looney Tunes characters had their guns taken away in twenty twenties? Everybody ready? Oh, Logan, do you have one of them?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Steve, do you have both?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I'm not doing too good today.
Speaker 1: Man reminder that he declared this an easy round.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Question three. Now we're onto question seven. Logan, I think we're running out of the time. Go ahead, We're out a phone a friend. But if they had to use phone a friend, they burned them. By question five. Do some folks back there know it? They they do? Okay, is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brad saying Elmer Fudd Yosemite, Sam Claire saying Elmer Fudd Yosemite, Sam Mary sang Elmer Fudd, Daffy Duck, Cody sang SpongeBob, and Patrick Michael saying Elmer Fudd, Daffy Duck, Kyle saying Wiley Coyote, and Sam Logan saying e Fudd and Sylvester Keith saying Elmer Fudd, Steve saying what's Elmer Fudd? And Wiley coyote. The two characters are Elmer Fudd and Yosemite. Sam had foe could get that right, un Quit the showrunner. The showrunner told The New York Times quote, We're not doing guns, but we can do cartoony violence, TNT, the ACME stuff. All that was kind of grandfathered in. Instead of firearms, Elmer Fudd's shotgun was replaced by a scythe and yosemite Sam's pistols were replaced by a sickle.
Speaker 3: Scyth is way worse.
Speaker 1: That seems You're right. That seems far scarier to chase a rabbit or a.
Speaker 3: Duck scythe syth.
Speaker 1: I guess I do is we're a sickle. Imagine you know, Yosemite Sam carrying a sickle now instead of his pistols. Question eight. The topic is wildlife. This next great question is via Nick McCoy. According to the National Park Service, this mammal makes up ninety percent of a blackfooted ferrets diet. We'll get a scoreboard update from Fill the engineer after this. This is question eight. The topic is wildlife. According to the National Park Service, this mammal makes up ninety percent of a blackfooted ferrets diet. Niks, Steve, what question are we on? This is question eight? You get a scoreboard update from Phil after this? What do you got, Krinn? What's on your Steve is confident?
Speaker 3: What's that saying?
Speaker 1: For Logan and Keith? Krinn wrote something on a whiteboard that she didn't want us to acknowledge, and now she wants us to acknowledge now she said, don't bring it up?
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 1: How are we doing here on coming up with the mammal that makes up ninety percent of a blackfoot of Fairret's eye. This side of the room is confident. This side of the room does not appear to know it. I call this the nice thing is they're all sitting so close that if one of you knows it, like all four of you should.
Speaker 2: Know at that point, it would be dishonest.
Speaker 4: Spencer, if you encourage cheating, we'll take.
Speaker 3: Play this game differently.
Speaker 1: It's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brad saying mice, Claire saying rabbit, Mary saying mice, Cody saying fox, Michael saying mouse, Kyle saying pine, squirrel, Logan sang field mice, Keith saying prairie dog, Steve saying, prairie dog. They got it the correct answers. Prairie dog biologists estimate that one blackfooted ferret will eat over one hundred prairie dogs in a year, and it takes one hundred acres of prairie dog colony to support one blackfooted ferret family. The remainder of their diet includes mice, rats, ground squirrels, rabbits, birds, snakes, and insects. Steve, you knew that one right away.
Speaker 3: That's how blackfooted farrots got wiped out. It's prairie dog poisoning. That was question a nearly wiped out and I could get into the whole thing with MATIZZI. See I have a good tribute player.
Speaker 1: We'll lind out here, Phil. How is Steve doing.
Speaker 11: The only person who is not in the competition for the win is Kyle. He's got two points. Everyone else is still in the game though. We've got Cody with three, Steve, Michael, Mary Logan, Claire and Brad. I'll have four points apiece, and in first place it's Keith. He's got five points.
Speaker 1: Keith. The audience likes that, everywhere supportive of you being in first place.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 3: It's the mullet.
Speaker 5: That's a big part of that. Guys.
Speaker 3: So I'm feeling a lot better. I'm gonna pull ahead and win. Dude.
Speaker 1: Two questions left. This is question nine. The topic is cooking. What type of fish is grablax? What type of fish is grab lax? This is question nine. The topic was cooking. Steve knows it. He might be the only one. He declared, he's going to catch up. He's going to need to get this one right. Keith is going to need to get it wrong.
Speaker 3: Can you do your little thing you do about how specific you want it?
Speaker 1: I want you to be specific enough that if you thought the answer was a white tail deer, you would say a white tail deer. You wouldn't have to say who's deer? And deer wouldn't be good enough. I think now I've worked myself into a pretzel. Saying deer would be good enough. You just say deer, that would be right.
Speaker 4: This is another one. You're rent a lot of shame to my family. This is very Norwegian.
Speaker 1: Olio if I get this wrong?
Speaker 5: Nice throwing bones out over there?
Speaker 1: Looking for what type of fish is grab last? Oh wait, Logan had something come to him thinks he knows it now, Michael, while we have a second for Logan to change his answer, can you tell us about the Meat Eater Experiences some relevant info to share coming up sooner, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 8: So the Meat Eater Experiences is a cool new program that we're launching for twenty twenty four where your listeners, followers, viewers are going to be able to book hunting, fishing, and outdoor adventure trips with the Meat Eater crew. So you'll be fishing, hunting, cooking, butchering, doing all sorts of everything Meat Eater is known for, side by side with the meat your crew.
Speaker 5: It's pretty cool.
Speaker 8: The first two trips we have booked for the fall, or we will be accepting bookings for the fall excuse me, will be at foul Planes Lodge in Kansas, so that'll be a water file hunt. And then we also have one a fishing excursion at Cypress Cove in Venice, Louisiana. So those will be coming up and the bookings will be opening soon, so make sure to stay tuned for more.
Speaker 1: With very limited spots, right, like how many people on each trip?
Speaker 5: Very limited?
Speaker 3: Spot limited, not very limited.
Speaker 10: Fairly limited, I would say, Michael, when you're down there discourage people. Yeah, I would say there's some urgency around it because obviously there's gonna be some really coveted spots and uh, you know, first come, first serve basis.
Speaker 5: So we're really excited to launch us for twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: Maybe one of these trips will have some gravlax And I don't know will gravlax be fish? Don't don't help him.
Speaker 8: Everybody read, but none of these fish will we turn into gravlax?
Speaker 3: It is?
Speaker 1: Everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brad saying cod, Claire saying salmon, Mary saying salmon, Cody is saying, let's said say brown trout, rainbow trout, Michael saying salmon, Kyle saying carp, Logan saying herring, Keith saying lin cod, Steve saying salmon. The correct answer is salmon.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you want to Atlantic salmon.
Speaker 1: Doesn't have that specific Gravlax has Nordic origins that go back to the fourteenth century Sweden. He was created by fishermen who salted salmon and then buried it in the sand above the tideline. To learn how to make it, go to the medieater dot com and watch our video called how to make gravlax Phail. We have one question left. Who remains in the game?
Speaker 11: Is a tight game We've got uh let's see, I'm trying to think who's because that was question nine, right, So the only people left now are Logan and Brad who have four points, and then we've got a five way tie for first place between Claire, Keith, Mary, Michael, and Steve who all have five points a piece.
Speaker 1: What is happening?
Speaker 3: I think a little commentary my comeback would be good. Phil.
Speaker 1: This is question ten. The topic is fishing. Game and Fish magazine declared this river, which flows through Washington, d C. To be one of the nation's best waterways for cat fishing. Game and Fish declared this river, which flows through Washington, d C. To be one of the nation's best waterways for cat fishing. You got this one, Claria, I'm not feeling very confident, Okay. Logan is trying to intimidate Claire Man.
Speaker 3: We're going cat fishing this weekend, but the weather is turnings gonna be winter again. Pone our catfishing troop, Steve do you.
Speaker 1: Have this one right. Logan appears to have this one right. Who's like, who else is left in the game?
Speaker 3: You you threw it down because you're mad or because you like Mic drop Mic drove to be wrong. Brain, I'm entirely certain.
Speaker 1: Mary.
Speaker 5: Do you have this one?
Speaker 1: Mary has this one right about the end of the couch there, Cody, Michael, you guys have this got this one right?
Speaker 3: No? Okay, Keith, I've caught catfish in this.
Speaker 1: River before, Okay, So I'm gonna get you an extra bonus points. Claire, do you have a narrow down to a few rivers?
Speaker 4: I lived in Philadelphia for years and I can't think of a single river on the East coast right now.
Speaker 1: It's under your problem. We will go to a tie breaker if we have multiple people tied at the end of this game. It's everybody ready, Keith.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just raised something.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brad saying the Potomac, Claire saying the Potomac.
Speaker 3: We're saying the.
Speaker 1: Delaware Cody without an answer, Michael saying the Potomac, Kyle saying the Delaware, Logan saying Potomac, Keith saying Potomac, Steve saying Potomac, they got it. The correct answer is the Potomac River. Game and Fish Magazine said the Potomac is one of the best blue catfish factories in the nation, largely thanks to the river's abundance of gizzard shed. Blue catfish aren't native to the Chesapeake River system. They were stocked there in the nineteen seventies with state agencies hoping to create a new sport fishery as stripe bass populations were on a steep decline. That shocked me to learn that they're not native there. They'd be like if someone told me white tails aren't native to Illinois or something like that.
Speaker 3: They feel like they.
Speaker 1: Feel like they belock. I realized, well, blue catfish can swim pretty fun. They had to go through They had to go through some brackish water to get there. Phil, who is going to overtime?
Speaker 11: It is exciting. You've got a four way tie going into overtime. You've got Claire, Keith, Michael, and Steve with six points.
Speaker 1: Claire, Keith, Michael, and Steve. This is question eleven. Play the drop. Phil doesn't said at all. First last second, you can be third, fourth, cow mgfieth Little Easter Egg by Phil There, he played the old tiebreaker sounder. The tie breaking question will be numerical, so whoever is closest to the correct answer will be declared the winner. The topic is conservation. What year were the first fourteen wolves reintroduced into Yellowstone National Park? Steve is so quick to answer that it appears as though.
Speaker 7: He may know it.
Speaker 1: Steve, do you know this one?
Speaker 3: I'm within a year?
Speaker 1: Okay, that's what you have to beat. Steve thinks he's in with within one year of the correct answer. Now, if you're not in the tiebreaker, you should play along anyway, because if one of you hits this right on the nose, neither will add an extra one hundred dollars to the donation.
Speaker 3: Give in my shirt, wipe my answer away? Which I feel like is God, tell me.
Speaker 1: What year where the first fourteen wolves reintroduced into Yellowstone National Park? He's got on his side for this one, and divine intervention apparently not wiped away his board to try to steer him different.
Speaker 3: I did change it because I knew I had it to one. Damn it. I want to put it back though, because what it feels the devil that did that?
Speaker 1: Keith, what's what's the spiritual world like in the first Light store? Do you ever encounter any any ghosts? And he demons anything like that. What how can you help out? Steve Black widows Okay, that's close.
Speaker 7: Few few lonely ladies wander through from time to time.
Speaker 3: But that's.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: We get here.
Speaker 1: Okay, old ladies, but they're not quite ghosts.
Speaker 3: Keith says, they're close their future ghosts.
Speaker 1: What year were the first fourteen wolves reintroduced into Yellowstone National Park?
Speaker 3: Oh, dude, I got with him one year.
Speaker 1: Everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brad saying nineteen eighty two, Claire saying nineteen ninety one, Mary saying two thousand and six, Cody saying two thousand three, Michael sang nineteen ninety two, Kyle sang two thousand two, Logan sang two thousand and two, Keith saying nineteen ninety three, Steve saying nineteen ninety five. One of you is right on the nose.
Speaker 3: It's me.
Speaker 1: The correct answer is nineteen ninety five. Steve got it.
Speaker 3: I was so disappointed.
Speaker 1: He's the only one happy for himself.
Speaker 5: What was the original year? What was the original year that God erased?
Speaker 3: Well, I had ninety six, and then there was then someone stepped in from higher above. It erased my board, dude, So I went with the other year. I thought it was.
Speaker 1: In January of nineteen ninety five, fourteen wolves from Jasper National Park in Alberta were released into Yellowstone. Almost immediately, the alpha male left the park and crossed in to Montana. He was poached a couple months later by a bear hunter near Red Lodge nineteen ninety five. Steve, what were you doing in nineteen ninety five?
Speaker 3: Well, I moved to Montana in ninety six.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that was a bone I knew.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well I knew it was right. Yeah, I knew it was right.
Speaker 1: Then Steve is our winner. He gets to choose where the six hundred dollars donation goes from me. Did your six hundred dollars six? Because you got it right on the nose for the tie breaker meat Eater will add an extra one hundred dollars to the donation. Steve, where is that six hundred dollars going to go?
Speaker 3: Because we were talking about the auction house of oddities coming up, I want to put my six hundred dollars into me Eater's land Access initiative.
Speaker 1: Which is what the auction house will help.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the auction House of Oddities supports it. So just to get the pot, you know, little pot of grease going, I'm gonna put that money right in there.
Speaker 1: Who got second place from first Light? So one of you, one of you needs to have bragging rights. Who was the closest? No, Keith, were you and the tie breaker?
Speaker 7: I was?
Speaker 1: Okay, Keith is the first Light winner, then Keith, you get to hold that title. Wow. Uh, attitudes really changed around here when we we we said Keith is the winner. Keith will come back next year and you can defend your title.
Speaker 5: Man, love it.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having this beautiful store here. And Haley, I'm jealous that it's five hours away from us. I'd love to come by and hang out with you guys. Keith, you make you make the coffee in the office. Is that what I heard you declaring?
Speaker 7: It used to be a big coffee guy at the office. I'll get there early, get the pots loaded up.
Speaker 3: Then you quit.
Speaker 5: I moved here.
Speaker 3: The store.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, come on in here, see Keith, see Mary they'll get you equipped for whatever your next outdoor adventure is. Join us next time for more Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins.