Speaker 1: It's Me Podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Me Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins and mostly Randall. I'm your guest host, Giannis but tell Us and today we're joined by the regular host, Spencer Newheart, Brody Randall, Corinn, Nate Tressa, and Alec, who controls access to the buffalo skull that you can stick your finger into in the Meat Eater store. Alec, how many folks have fingered the buffalo skull? Now?
Speaker 3: I could even tell you it's probably a couple hundred at least really, at least I know we have pictures of probably like sixty percent of them on the social media pages.
Speaker 2: Okay, that was my next question. Do you ask him to do like a special hashtag for like buffalo finger or buffalo finger hole? What is the hashtag if you go in and take that picture?
Speaker 3: Well, right now we're sending it to the regular Meat Eater social media, but now that we have our flagship store social media, they are sending it to the flagship Meat Eater store Instagram page.
Speaker 4: And what is that handle?
Speaker 5: That's a good question.
Speaker 6: I know I asked you this last time you gave an update, But have you found any band aids in there yet we have not.
Speaker 7: And also in the the era of global pandemics, do you disinfect that that finger hole down?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 3: We do occasionally now more than we did at the beginning. I will say that there's.
Speaker 8: Lots of people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, someone you know cuts their finger while they're putting it into that buffle skull. You might want to have a band aid on hand for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably.
Speaker 4: Hopefully we don't get there though.
Speaker 2: Are you asking about new band aids?
Speaker 6: Yeah, old band aids, Like it seems like the perfect place to like cut your finger.
Speaker 1: You have a band aid on there, and you go and then you come off and have a band aid.
Speaker 2: You're right, it is the perfect place.
Speaker 1: Down to first thing, I thought it someone's gonna leave you.
Speaker 2: Did you find the handle?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: It is meat Eater Flagship store. Is the handle there?
Speaker 2: You go? So search it up. What kind of stuff do you post there?
Speaker 3: A bunch of whether it's sales or stuff that's going on in the store. It's kind of just random, but it uh has all the stuff that you would need, so check it out.
Speaker 2: Okay, there you go. This is a ten round quiz show with questions from me. Here's four verticals which are hunting, fishing, conservation, and cooking, and there's a prize. Me eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing this week's stat we're looking for this week's stat we're looking at player performance from the first two times I hosted Trivia. The winning score from the first episode was four and from the second episode was eight. The average player's score from those episodes was three point two eight, and combined those two episodes had five five zero percenters. I'm pitching softballs today, kids. Phil you saw the questions, how do you think the players will do? I don't know about a perfect game, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a nine for sure.
Speaker 1: That's terribly exciting.
Speaker 2: Well, that's perfect because then we don't have to go to overtime tiebreaker and uh, what if and Brody get nine? Yeah, that's true. But at least he's putting it out there that we're not going to have five perfect games because they were. It's not that easy, all right, Okay, on to infrequently ask questions segment, which is the way that Spencer usually just plugs stuff that we need to talk about here at meat Eater but today, but today, this is a real one. But if you have an in want to send in an infrequently ask question, send it to Trivia at the meat eater dot com. This person, I guess a fella. It could have been a gal fellow or Gal wrote in and said, my wife and I were flipping through the channels and came upon none other than the Latvian Eagle shopping for a house in Montana on one of those home improvement channels. Why has it Giannis ever talked about this question? Mark exclamation point.
Speaker 9: This is about five years ago, and I know it because I was working on this show. When I left the company that you used the show, I was.
Speaker 2: What was it called? And Mama's I thought they didn't stick with that. They didn't.
Speaker 9: They changed it to something else but like boring, like Montana something something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me call you Mountain.
Speaker 1: Mixed up in that.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, trying to make this concise as possible. A friend of ours, Uh, there is there is a learning moment here in this story, I will tell you. But a friend of ours, Brady had done uh, the pilot episode for this show. As the is a contractor that actually did the work, and the contractor that acted as the contractor, because a lot of times for these shows you have one of each. It was like an acting contractor and then someone that's behind the scenes doing the work. We are the time, we're talking with him about remodeling our place, and as we're talking with him about that, he got approached by Warm Springs to do a whole season of the show. And then they said, hey, do you know anybody that might have a place that kind of fits what we're looking for, which is a you know, Montana looking house. And it's all like twenty eighteen.
Speaker 9: Twenty nineteen, early twenty nineteen, maybe late twenty eighteen year, ok, I can't remember.
Speaker 2: But our place fit the bill log cabin on the side of a hill, right, And so we interviewed and it was pretty easy for me because I was, you know, working, I was kind of working both sides of the camera or the coin or however you want to put it, and so all the questions you're asking, I'm like, oh, yeah, Jennifer, just tell them that we'll be in. Because we were looking at it as a way to we knew there was some incentive for the homeowners to get some money towards their project. Right, So, long story short, I think it worked out, Jennifer says she would not do it again. I would have done it again. We did save some money, but also there were other costs and just time, you know, when they wanted to come and produce television, they're like kicking you out of your own house, because the whole deal with that episode was meant to be that, like we just leave and then the Mountain Mamas remodel our place and we come back and we're like, oh my god, it's totally different. You know, we lived through it, you know, and the learning teaching moment was that the cash that was put into that project was not tax free, and we were not, Like, we didn't learn about that until March of you know, when the taxes came due and all of a sudden there was a giant plump sum. We're like, oh okay. So would have been nice if the producers would have been like, hey, you're gonna get this money, it's not taxed. You better think about, you know, having some money set aside. So anyways, yeah, we did it. I don't know. I I think I watched the episode. I can't remember I know a lot of people have they Every now and then I get an email or taxes.
Speaker 9: So that still I still have a man on the inside. Yeah, I'll try to find some It's like watch party.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like every three months, I'll get an email about be like just saw Yanni modeling at home. I'll see a comment somewhere about it. So now it's now it's been addressed.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, the project came out super nice. We were really happy with our plays. Kind of sad sometimes we're not still living there. But that's another quor another story for another day. Housekeeping no housekeeping this week, but I will say again that the last two games that hosted were deemed hard by the contests and seems like no one had funds, especially Brody. So this one loaded with softballs. Jennifer Index is four sword winners should get about eight correct answers, and with that play the drop thill.
Speaker 5: Look, I need to know what I stand to win everything?
Speaker 1: How's that just tend to win everything?
Speaker 2: Demon Suckers. Question one as always multiple choice. What state has the most mountain ranges? Alaska, California or Montana? And you know I've even miss I misbrote this question a little bit. It's actually what state has the most mountain ranges in the United States? One of these four has the most mountain ranges in all of our lovely country. M hmmm, it's a tricky one.
Speaker 8: Okay, that makes me think differently about it.
Speaker 2: Good. Good, I want you to think.
Speaker 5: Yoanni declared last week's multiple choice question a trick question.
Speaker 2: And it was.
Speaker 5: But I don't I don't think it because you were like.
Speaker 2: I know, the trick kind of goes both ways.
Speaker 5: Okay, like is it too obvious or is it? Is it the least obvious?
Speaker 1: The trick is thinking it's a trick question.
Speaker 2: Like I said, tricky. Mm again, what state has the most mountain ranges in the United States? Alaska, California, Nevada, or Montana. Does everybody have an answer?
Speaker 1: We do?
Speaker 2: Karen, do you have an answer? Okay, yeah, there's four up there. You just gotta pick one, all right. Everybody reveal their answers. Nate Goes, Nevada, Randall, Nevada, Corinne, California, Spencer, Nevada, Alec Alaska, Tressa, Montana, Brodie, Montana. There are a few correct answers, which is Nevada, Nevada has three hundred and fourteen named mountain.
Speaker 1: Ranges based in Range Country.
Speaker 2: That's right, good job, that's all I all. The only extra two words I had in my flavor text were based in Range and uh actually work technically in the basin and Range Country too. I mean, it's pretty much the rocky Mountain West.
Speaker 5: So I feel like that part of the continent has like a lot of sky islands that just like this is a mountain range. That's a mountain range, that's a mountain range, and they're all like within sight but not connected.
Speaker 1: John McPhee based in Range, just read it. I'll tell you everything.
Speaker 2: Hm hmm. I'll put that on my list.
Speaker 1: Add that to the flavor text.
Speaker 2: Actually, John McFee is saying one of my one of my I just had to order a bunch of audible books, and I've got like, I think two more from him.
Speaker 1: Always fantastic. Did you get the one about the oranges? No? Did you get the one about the ship? Uh?
Speaker 2: No, I think I went with pine barns and coming into the country, I already had read that one.
Speaker 5: M I don't know anything about the pine barons except for soprano Zprano is it the same pine Barons?
Speaker 8: Are they the only pine Barons?
Speaker 1: Yeah? New Jersey, It's my favorite.
Speaker 2: We're on the question two, what text it up? What does Grand Titan mean in English?
Speaker 5: You know this, Brodie?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do.
Speaker 2: So it does Randall.
Speaker 7: High School in two years of French in college, but I knew it before then.
Speaker 6: I had a coach who came back from a trip to the Grand Titans, and he brought everybody together and he guess, hey, guys.
Speaker 1: Do you know what Grand Teton means in French?
Speaker 2: Hey? You're addition, I.
Speaker 1: Asked the question as it's.
Speaker 2: Yes, grand Actually, I was going to ask Phil to read this question in his best sort of fake trapper.
Speaker 9: I've learned from Radio Live. We have a lot of Canadians that listen to our content, and I'm afraid some of those those French Canadians will be offended if I try to pronounce it.
Speaker 2: I don't even know how to like no, but You're gonna just do it? Yeah? There you go? Yeah, do you want to take a crack at it? Brody to there you go? It was way good.
Speaker 8: I mean, Phil, you can do better than that.
Speaker 2: I don't think I can. The question is, what does grand teeth don mean in English?
Speaker 1: M hmm, do you have flavor text for this one?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, let's just try to come up with more. John McPhee books Please travels with the arts druid hands of the former World. Then he has a great back on writing.
Speaker 2: That's tell the one I got.
Speaker 6: I think it's draft number four is the book on writing. It's a fantastic book. Okay, I give I'm just trying to have fun here, guys.
Speaker 5: I don't know it was French either until already revealed that.
Speaker 2: All'd help me.
Speaker 1: Okay, everybody reveal.
Speaker 2: Your boards, your answers, Please heal your boards. Nate says large breast, Randall says large breast, Corn says big hill, Spencer says big meat, Alex says big sheep, tressa big peak, and Brody big breast. The correct answer is large teat or breast. Grand Teton is the highest mountain of the Teeton Range in Grand Teton National Park. At thirteen seven and seventy five feet, the mountain is a classic destination and American mountaineering. It provides a lovely view as you float down the Snake River, catch and cutthroat trout. More than likely French, Canadian or Iroquois members of an expedition led by Donald Mackenzie of the Northwest Company named the Mountain.
Speaker 3: So that's what I say.
Speaker 1: I can see yours from here.
Speaker 5: Have you heard that same?
Speaker 10: Everyone?
Speaker 1: I know?
Speaker 2: Hold on?
Speaker 1: But while they're in Jackson, if you.
Speaker 7: I think that it refers to the Idaho.
Speaker 1: Side, like whatever you can see, that would have been helpful.
Speaker 2: I will know next time i'm oment there, I'll remember to say that. Question three, the process of binding meat with kitchen twine to hold it together in a compact shape before cooking, is called what really?
Speaker 1: I think this is already questioned.
Speaker 2: No. I searched the spreadsheet with all the questions and I could not find.
Speaker 5: I'm afraid that it was a question. Those those spreadsheets are up to date as of like wow, early spring, and I think I might have had this as a question this summer.
Speaker 2: Too late now, it's.
Speaker 5: Too late now.
Speaker 8: So it's just a it's a yeah, it's right.
Speaker 5: If you pay attention to me trivia, you'll get it right.
Speaker 2: Randall, do you feel like you're answering this for a second time.
Speaker 1: Unless you can come about the oranges is great?
Speaker 10: Unless you can.
Speaker 7: Come up with a question right on the fly.
Speaker 2: Come on, I do have one. Do you want it?
Speaker 1: It's up to these guys.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no no, because I think I think like last time when I when I did this, I feel like eighty percent of the room got it anyway, So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want everybody to have a good time today.
Speaker 7: So yeah, we should just do a whole round where we do repeat questions.
Speaker 8: They'll be on zero zero and Yanni will have five of them.
Speaker 2: To contribute again. The question was the process of binding meat with kitchen twine to hold it together in a compact shape before cooking, is called what you guys ready to reveal your answers? Go ahead? Nate says, trust, saying Randall trusting, Carinn Netting, Spencer trusting, Alec bunching Trust, no answer, Brody trusting. The room did fairly well. Trusting is their correct answer. In the case of a turkey breast, which is fat and plump at one end and tapered thin at the other, Trusting will assist in more uniform cooking. If you'd like to learn how to trust a turkey breast, or any chunk of meat for that matter, check out the Brian and smoked turkey breast recipe on page in the Meat Eater Outdoor Cookbook. That's hostani Um, you guys having fun? Three questions in good all right? Number four? This one falls under hunting. Bifurcated antlers are most common to what North American deer species? Brody writing, Nate writing, Spencer writing, Randall writing, Alick writing, Tressa thinking Jennifer did not get this one correct.
Speaker 5: Okay, there's a hint.
Speaker 2: Bifurcated antlers are most common to what North American deer species?
Speaker 5: Yehny, When you guys start the mediator experiences, you leave soon.
Speaker 2: I leave on Monday, which is four days from not. Yeah, I'll be down there three days ahead of time to make some content and uh then we get on with it. Fishing has been dynamite, chewing the paint off the boat, as they say.
Speaker 8: I've never heard that.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Unfortunately I don't. I think this place is so good that even my uh unlucky ass can't change the good fishing. But multiple times in my life, hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're gonna catch our.
Speaker 2: Film, oh buddy, But yeah, my father in laws always telling me that they're chewing the paint off the boat and then when I get there, it just goes.
Speaker 5: And at some point at Cypress Cove they're going to record an episode of Trivia. Randall's gonna host.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm looking forward to that.
Speaker 7: Is this hurricane messing up your deal at all?
Speaker 2: They had another storm come through like a month ago that was not quite a hurricane, but close, and I guess since then that fishing has only been like, it's been just nutty. So I hate to be talking too much about good fishing, but here we are. Does anybody need me to repeat the question one more time? Go ahead and reveal your answers. Nate says mule deer Randall, mule deer, crim mule deer, Spencer, Muley, Alec, whitetail, tressaup black tail, Brody mule deer. The room did pretty good. The answer is mule deer.
Speaker 8: What about blacktail?
Speaker 7: Because they're not like they are sometimes but they're like see a lot of three.
Speaker 5: Pointers, but like who I won't argue too much, but I feel like you'd have to assign this to someone like according to Encyclopedia Britannica, you know this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's better hosting because when I.
Speaker 5: Was tressed, I'd say I got that one right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm more happy. I'm very happy to give it to Tressa, because you're right. When I typed it in just into the internet, there was multiple places like that. I could have just said the mule deer Foundation.
Speaker 5: Then then Tresta wouldn't couldn't argue with you know.
Speaker 2: Bifurcated is defined as divided into two branches or parts. Mule deer have times that split. The G two splits from the main beam. I think we have one in here, yeah, right there above my left shoulder. So the G two splits from the main beam, and then the G three splits off of the G two. White tail deer antlers typically just split once when the times split from the main beam, but a split G two, even on a white tail, would be considered a bifurcated antler. I always liked that word. I can't remember where I read that the first time, but bifurcated.
Speaker 1: It's fun. All right.
Speaker 2: We're on to question five, Speaking of offshore fishing in Louisiana, This cylindrical shaped device found on offshore fishing boats.
Speaker 1: That what happened?
Speaker 2: We didn't see the answers future questions. Okay, technical difficulties, just keep reading question.
Speaker 1: Question five.
Speaker 2: This cylindrical shape device, found on offshore fishing boats that target marlin and other big game fish, keeps big baits alive by pushing salt water across a fish's gills. Apologies, honest, you got this one right?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: I thought Brody was going to write.
Speaker 2: I'm good. Anybody nobody writing yet Brody's thinking about it again. The question is This cylindrical shaped device, found on offshore fishing boats to target marlin and other big game fish, keeps big baits alive by pushing salt water across a fish's gills.
Speaker 8: Mm hm.
Speaker 2: The room is stumped, as Spencer would say, mm hmmm mmmm. Some grunting, some humming, haweing Brody's drawing.
Speaker 8: I think not you got this one right, Randall.
Speaker 5: No, okay, no, no, no, I'm gonna be mad.
Speaker 1: I don't even like my guess.
Speaker 2: It's not funny. We'll give the room a few more seconds here.
Speaker 1: Brody, do you like your answer? No?
Speaker 7: My answer, I thought it was pretty inventive, but it's not gonna be right.
Speaker 2: Again. It cylindrical device found on offshore fishing boats. The target marlin and other big game fish and keeps big baits alive by pushing salt water across the fish's gills. Go ahead and reveal your answers. Nate goes with salt Can Randall live pod Crin drum spencer, Doctor m mcgillicuddies mckilla gutties Alex without an answer, Trust without an answer. Brody with tuna tube. We do have one correct answer in the room. It is tuna tube. You knew that, Tess.
Speaker 7: I feel like I set it up pretty good already.
Speaker 2: Tubes revolutionized offshore big game fishing by allowing fishing captains to keep big baits al live as they traveled from the bait fishing grounds to the fishing grounds. Yeah, they're pretty sweet.
Speaker 8: Actually, how big is it?
Speaker 2: Chill me with your hands, Yeah, I mean it's literally just it's jammed in there. And they actually make them in dark colors, like a dark blue or even a black, so that when the fish is put in there, it stays calm and just chill, and it literally just has water pushing up through it. And it's all regulated because you don't want too much, you don't want too little.
Speaker 4: Is it like one fish per.
Speaker 2: Yeah for hotel. Yeah, because these days they'll just be pulling teasers behind the boat with no hooks in them at all, and then once they see that fish coming into the teasers, they will have these pre rigged, like the fish will already be rigged in the tuna tube and they'll literally take it out of there and just drop it behind the boat and just feed line. And that live fish just is all sudden back in the teasers, and the teasers all get reeled and real fast, so the fish is in there looking at all this action, and then all of a sudden there's a live beneath of this big just looking at him, just swimming around, and you.
Speaker 3: Just, are we gonna use that technique when we get like a big.
Speaker 2: Ass markt we're not gonna be targeting Marl. Then we're gonna be targeting the yellow fin tuna. But they also do use this technique for that, so you might get to see tuna tubes in action down there.
Speaker 1: Like a torpedo meat.
Speaker 2: That was question five, which means we need a scoreboard update, Phil, see if I can go to the right slide this time. Okay, Alec and Tresa.
Speaker 9: Have zero points and our time for last place. I mean got Koreen coming up next with one point, Spencer has three points, and all tied up in first with four points. A piece of Brody, Henderson, Randall and Nate.
Speaker 8: Nate now.
Speaker 1: Nate with benefits.
Speaker 2: Oh Randall, Randy.
Speaker 1: Got to the river more often, come back refreshed.
Speaker 2: Did you win that last game?
Speaker 1: But I've made a lot of funny quips.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're on to question six. A mnemonic used to teach the tying of this knot is to imagine the working end of the rope as a rabbit. The knot can be taught to children with the rhyme up through the rabbit hole, round the big tree, down through the rabbit hole, and off goes heat. Step one of time the knot, a loop is made into the standing part of the line, which will act as the rabbit's hole. Step two. The rabbit the end of the line comes up the hole. Step three, he goes around the tree which is a standing part of the line, and step five goes back down the hole. Name the knot?
Speaker 5: Hm hmm.
Speaker 2: I almost brought in a length of rope to show you guys tying it. Brody got too much. I think so Brody's got it. Randally, you don't have anything knotsky.
Speaker 7: I'm more of a don't know knots ty lots kind of me too.
Speaker 1: We'll call that.
Speaker 8: Yes, Wait, you got this, Randall Spencer.
Speaker 1: Don't you know I'm an Eagle Scout?
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm?
Speaker 5: When did you achieve eagle Scout status before.
Speaker 6: My age of maturity? As is required by the code of the Boy Scouts.
Speaker 2: What is the age of maturity?
Speaker 1: Eight eighteen?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: The clock runs out.
Speaker 2: I only made it to Life Scalp, which is the one right before eagles.
Speaker 6: I know I made it there too, on my way.
Speaker 1: We got to cool it. We got it.
Speaker 2: Would you guys like me to reread the question?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think I would.
Speaker 8: More times.
Speaker 2: Is it gonna help you?
Speaker 5: We'll get another ad break in this episode if.
Speaker 2: You do it three. A mnemonic used to teach a tying of this not is to imagine the working end of the rope as a rabbit. The knot can be taught to children with the rhyme up through the rabbit hole, around the big tree, down through the rabbit and off goes down through the hole and off go.
Speaker 1: See step one.
Speaker 6: The loop is made into the standing part of the line which will act as the rabbit's hole.
Speaker 1: Step two, the rabbit end of the line comes up the hole.
Speaker 6: Step three, goes round the tree standing part parentheses, step five and back down the hole.
Speaker 2: That's you nailed it.
Speaker 1: No, no, you name the.
Speaker 2: Name, name the not all right, Spencer's not gonna have an answer. Oh you got an answer. Okay, go ahead and reveal your answers. Nate says Bowlin, Randall says Bolan, Karen says hop Scotch, Spencer hair not Alec rabbit not those are good answers. Tresa Fisherman's not Brody Bowlin. The correct answer is bowling. One of the greatest knots. I have nothing written for flavored texts.
Speaker 1: This is off the top of my head.
Speaker 2: But everybody loves this not because of its ability to come undone after being under severe load. So this knot can be pulled on, pulled on, pulled on, and yet when you want it to come undone, you just pushed a little loop o and it comes undone. The downfalls of the bowling is that sometimes with repeated loading and off loading, it can become loose and actually undo it.
Speaker 1: So when would you use.
Speaker 2: It oh, buddy, I use it all the time. Probably the most common use for me is, uh, I have a tarp ten by ten foot tarp that pack around a lot, and it's got i don't know, maybe four loops along each side. But I don't really ever need all four loops, you know, with the guideline right, and so I only have I don't know, let's say six or eight total for all four sides. And I will use the bowl in to attach my peacord to those loops, and so that whenever I pitch it, I can go, oh, I don't need it here. I take it off real quick, move it around to a different one and attach it. Okay, But anytime I need to just attach a quick, you know, a rope to anything, and I want to undo it. Theland is your man, or you're not all right, We're onto question seven. This seven letter word is defined as a narrow strip of land between bodies of water connecting two larger land masses. Again question seven. This seven letter word, Oh, I didn't even notice that seven letters. For question seven, randall.
Speaker 1: Now that's hosting.
Speaker 2: Is defined as a narrow strip of land between bodies of water connecting two larger land masses.
Speaker 8: You got this, Randall, I do hm.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna give you guys a hint. You need to really wants his high You really already are this comfortable that you wrote Brodie sucks on the back.
Speaker 4: It's not personal. We just don't have enough smack talk right now. Okay, I see I lost my last fantasy football leagu because there wasn't enough SAPs.
Speaker 7: All right, you know, no one ever attacks Randall because he's a nice guy.
Speaker 4: I'll change right now.
Speaker 7: You know you'll do better if you do.
Speaker 6: I think being complimentary to me counts as teasing me because it.
Speaker 1: I would never I don't discriminate question seven. This seven letters.
Speaker 2: You want?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no, no, take a boat you can't offer.
Speaker 5: I don't think you should if Randall already has And this is coming from someone who does not even have a good guess.
Speaker 2: Come on, let's have some fun.
Speaker 1: Mister. You are doing this to me. In the past few episodes, I've had to put my foot down and now I'm getting a reputation as a stickler, and I don't like that. I just want to play my game of trivia.
Speaker 2: I think it's it's one of those hints that everybody's gonna go ah, and there's still not gonna They're not gonna know. That's how it works, and if a couple of people get it, I will be happy a very prominent Uh.
Speaker 6: No, no, no, no, no, no, that's way too obvious.
Speaker 1: That is way too obvious.
Speaker 2: Oh really, yes, Phillis yes, okay, sorry, the.
Speaker 1: Only one I know.
Speaker 5: Okay, well, no, I feel like I know where you're going with this now.
Speaker 2: Oh sorry for you folks at home if you're not following along here. I was going to give the room just reading my question again so they can reconsider light hint, the.
Speaker 1: Knowledge that they're bringing to the game without any.
Speaker 2: But h Randall believes it's going to be a heavy hint. But the question, the question is the seven letter word is defined as a narrow strip of land between bodies of water connecting to larger land masses.
Speaker 1: Mhm h.
Speaker 2: Everybody that is going to have an answer? Have you written it down? Okay, Nate needs just a sec. Brody, you have this.
Speaker 7: I don't know, but something popped into my head right away and I can't justify trying to think about something.
Speaker 1: To change it to.
Speaker 2: So all right, just a second is over Nate, go ahead and reveal your answers. Nate, no answer, Randall says isthmus corin sandbar Spencer Earthen Alec no answer, trusts a channel and Brody ismus. The correct answer is the Panama Ismus connects the North and South American continents. Stephen Brunella grew up on Middle and North Twin Lakes, which are separated by an isthmus. In the book Home Ground, edited by Barry Lopez and Deborah Gartney, a wonderful collection of definitions, gosh, guys, I'm sorry, and then finish.
Speaker 1: I finished.
Speaker 5: Wow, it'll be future housekeeping you.
Speaker 7: It's a great with a lot of land terms in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna say, it's a wonderful collection of definition of landscape terms uh, emily, heist, and rights. While many landscape terms derived from analogy to our own anatomy, neck, mount, finger, et cetera, isthmus seems to be the rare case in which a geographic term is applied to an and now feature of the body titons Anatomically, an isthmus is a narrow band of tissue connecting two larger parts of some corporeal structure. Now I didn't know what the hell corporeal meant. Randall would have known. Merriam Webster defines it as having consisting of or relating to a physical material body, but then it says such as not spiritual and not in intangible, so synonym would be substantial. Still uncontent I asked my doctor for an example of an isthmus in the human body, and she replied, thyroid isthmus, the tissue that connects the two thyroid lobes. What was her hint going to be that the very this very prominent person at our company speaks about this land form often because he grew up very close to one.
Speaker 6: I thought, you're going to say the most prominent of these is the isthmus of Panama.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Should have been a giveaway.
Speaker 9: What did you think the hint was going to be, Phil, I thought it was going to be just because I had read your your thing, I thought it was going to be Panama as well.
Speaker 2: No, No, I thought that's why this was going to be a softball. Because Stephen Ranella has said isn' miss you know, he says it at least a dozen times annually. I feel like, uh, that was question seven. We don't.
Speaker 9: We don't need a scoreboard up there until the next question. You're honest, all right, we're definitely gonna get that second.
Speaker 2: Let's go to eight.
Speaker 1: Am I taking too long?
Speaker 2: I love good, keep it rolling, getting I've been here since well, listen, you're talking about getting hot. When we were recording that live show, somebody dropped a little stinker in here. Nobody raised there can okay, it was hot. Any suspects I know, I know. I'll be the first one to say, hey man, it just slipped. He wasn't. Question number eight. What six letter word describes the line that is attached to the end of a tapered leader, most commonly used by fly anglers?
Speaker 1: M hmm?
Speaker 2: What six letter word describes the line that is attached to the end of a tapered leader, most commonly used by fly anglers? Tressa.
Speaker 5: I better get this one right.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: You know it.
Speaker 4: Knows it just started fishing a month ago.
Speaker 2: So you're learning these terms. Yes, Oskarn, you need to start fishing more. You and my dad.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 2: For those of you that didn't listen to I don't know if it's gonna be last week, two weeks ago, two weeks to go live show. At radio episode, my dad volunteered himself for one minute fishing and proved that he's yet to become an angler.
Speaker 3: I would like to redo in a better spot.
Speaker 5: Get you out there again. Trust has been one minute angler before its close?
Speaker 1: It was close.
Speaker 2: Yes, I heard that. You also brought in a fish into the studio and goes against I don't care.
Speaker 1: It's right.
Speaker 8: We have an aquarium.
Speaker 5: So if it happens again, someone catches one, then they come in here.
Speaker 2: Show us where's the aquarium on top of the fridge. Oh okay, but.
Speaker 1: Like Spencer said, it's like three feet away.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's not against any Montana laws? Is it to drop that thing in an aquarium?
Speaker 2: It's gonna do too good.
Speaker 7: An aquarium be too warm.
Speaker 5: No, he's not living in the aquarium. It's like someone catches it at the pond outside of our back door, drops it in the aquarium, runs it in here, and then runs it back.
Speaker 2: You just shocked the ship.
Speaker 7: Just look it out with you and bring him in in a bucket.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, I think if he's fish, that's great. If you use the water from the pond, I think he'll survive. His little journey. Okay, go ahead and reveal your answers. Nate says tipp It, Randall Tippett, Corinna question Mark, Spencer, Tippett, Alec No answer, Tressa Tippet's Brody Tippett. The room did pretty well. The answer is Tippet is your favorite text. Trust's dog's name. No, I didn't even know that. But Tresa does have a license plate that says five X.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I wasn't Anna dos her and say what is that?
Speaker 2: What would you do to her if you said that?
Speaker 5: That'll be a future pop culture question from that docxer do do? Doxing is being like, if you want to know where Yanni lives, you can go watch his Mountain Mama's show. You can like knock on his door and throw a stink bomb in there.
Speaker 2: Just say howdy, yeah, bring some beer if you do that. According to the Missolian Angler fly Shop, Tippet is sized by diameter, not pound test, which is expressed as an X value. The smaller the X value, the thicker the tipp it. So five X Tippet is thinner than two X computer keeps going dark. This sizing system dates to the time when leaders were made of gut. I try to find out what they're speaking of when they say gut Brody.
Speaker 1: Testing expect.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 7: Horsehair was a thing, too right, still is.
Speaker 1: A thing if you're a violinist.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm not.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: Gut pieces came in very few diameters. To make your piece of gut thinner, you pulled it through a V shaped razor. One pole through the razor, the gut piece is now thinner. One x. Two poles through the razor. Gut is now even thinner two x. So on, that's good in my opinion. The most common tip size for western trout fishing is five X, which is about four point seventy five pound test tip. It can be made of monofilament or floral carbon. Did you ever buy into that that the floral carbon wouldn't work for dry flies because it sank below the surface a little bit.
Speaker 7: Especially in faster water.
Speaker 1: I think it's the case.
Speaker 2: It sinks. There you go, sinks so hot tip from Brody don't fish flora?
Speaker 1: Do I know?
Speaker 2: Like floral tip? I got rid of five six.
Speaker 7: I stopped carrying that shit after a few years ago, and I was like four and up no reason, test which is a good I shouldn't even say this because I worked in a flashot for so long. Go buy a three hundred meterspool of streng or some shit trialing instead of buying a ten dollars pool of tip it like you save yourself a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, that's another two hot tips and one uh one go from Brody here. All right. That was the end of question eight. So another leaderboard update, scoreboard update.
Speaker 1: Oh heavens, what a surprise.
Speaker 9: Let's see here Alec Tressa here, Karen and Spencer are no longer in the running for the win, but we've got Nate with six points. Holy cow, Randall and Brodie are ty up in first place with seven.
Speaker 1: Damn full time Nate. I'm rooting for you, buddy. I appreciate it. For those of you that are.
Speaker 2: Not in it for the wind stick around, there's some fun questions coming up.
Speaker 1: Right after this break.
Speaker 2: Don't go anywhere, all right? Question nine. This is our listener question of the Week, which was won by David Smith for sending this great question. David is going to get a board game signed by the crew if you want a chance to win the Listener Question of the Week. Then send your question to trivia atthemeadeater dot com. The question is what six letter word indicates a male goose? What six letter word indicates a male goose? Brody Spencer, Krinn Randall all quick to answer, but Krinn thinks she wrote down the wrong answer.
Speaker 1: I don't know about this one.
Speaker 2: I don't know as in, you don't know about the phrasing of the question.
Speaker 1: No, I'm just not sure about my answer.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, come on, I'm gonna I'm gonna guess you got it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, three straight questions told us how many letters the answer has.
Speaker 1: I think I'm at the end of this.
Speaker 2: You guys, go man, it was really too easy. Then nona have a perfect score. So you're right.
Speaker 6: We should have a fun round of trivia where each sequential question increases the number of letters.
Speaker 1: And the answer.
Speaker 5: Maybe we do a thing where I like give you clues and the answers are in a grid, and then it's like you get clues along the way as you fill in the grid.
Speaker 1: I love that at the end.
Speaker 8: We call it a crossword puzzle.
Speaker 2: Oh you know, I gotta say, you've made me kind of into a crossword guy. I was really surprised yeah, because I just didn't know that you could do them that quickly. Because I remember is my great aunt who sort of took place with my grandmother when I was a kid, and she'd be on the couch for hours, and I always thought she was doing.
Speaker 7: It because she was doing the New York Times Sunday edition and.
Speaker 2: It takes well, you know, she'd have those books. It just had, you know, one after another, and I think she probably did ten in a day or something.
Speaker 1: Books take a long time.
Speaker 8: I think for a lot of people it is like a leisure hobby.
Speaker 5: But like when we do it online, the software used kind of gamifies it and you're trying to beat Randall. So it's like it's like more stressful, I think than your normal crossword puss. You don't have to treat it that where you're trying to catch doctor Randall.
Speaker 7: But imagine we're still going off his fixed uh the fixes in on Randall scores.
Speaker 5: Well, he had a soft score lately and he said, guys, I had five pieces of pizza for lunch, right.
Speaker 6: And I had to play two in a row.
Speaker 8: I wasn't right that day.
Speaker 1: Give me a break.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: Jennifer's request that I don't play without her because she enjoys it. Glad to hear that. I boys want you to do a kid's version. Okay, okay, uh, let's go ahead and reveal your answers. For question nine, Nate says Honker Randall Gander, Corin, Honker, Spencer, Gander, Alec Honker Tressa, Tommy Brody Gander, Tommy the Tiger. The correct answer is what's good for them? Good job, we did pretty well here, Gander. A female goose is simply called a goose. Baby geese are goslings. A group of geese on the ground is a gaggle. When in flight, they are called a skin, a team, or a wedge you farther. When flying close together, they are called a plump a skin like s k E I N E I N yeah.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 5: Never occurred to me that Gander Mountain was like a male goose mountain. I said, it was like you look out and you gander upon the landscape. So I don't know which one it is now, could be both thinking about it.
Speaker 4: How do you think they decide who's at the front of the V when they're flying.
Speaker 2: That's a dad joke, isn't it.
Speaker 5: No, it's why it is one side of the v longer than the other. There's more geese on that side, more geese on that side. That's the dad joke.
Speaker 2: But I think that they they are constantly irrotating.
Speaker 4: But that's what I'm wondering, is they're like, are they forcing him? Does he like try to stay there longer to be more valuable? Just thinking about the mind of a goose.
Speaker 8: In turns at the back of the b.
Speaker 2: Well, full timer's though, moving up.
Speaker 1: Well, that was my joke about seniority early on. As soon as he said that, you guys.
Speaker 8: I'm sorry. I'm sorry Randall.
Speaker 2: Do we get another scoreboard off date?
Speaker 9: Phil?
Speaker 2: You got to it's gonna question ten? Oh yeah, you can review that. Oh thanks. Review the answers probably shouldn't have should have written them down. Yeah. One nevada two large teat or breast three, trussing four mule deer. Why are you giggling? Spencer?
Speaker 1: Five?
Speaker 2: Question two five, tuna tube six, bowling seven, isthmus eight chip it nine gander ten Question ten. Brumation is the word that describes the hibernation of what animal I saved my heart ist per last just in case we were in a tie, So I'm hoping that this one is a little trickier again. Question ten is brumation is the word that describes the hibernation of what animal?
Speaker 1: How specific are you looking for here?
Speaker 2: Not very specific. If the answer was dog, you could just say dog. M all right, go ahead and reveal your answers. Nate Goes bear, Randall, salamander, corne bear, Spenser snakes, alec bear, trusp bear, Brody bear. We have a correct answer, Spencer got it with snake accepted reptile salamander. Yeah, okay, analogoust the hibernation. One key difference is that hibernation relies on store fat, where brumation relies more unreduced metabolic activity.
Speaker 1: That's the end of the game, is there?
Speaker 8: Over time?
Speaker 1: We're tired, We're still tied.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we are tied, Phil, We're tied.
Speaker 1: Right, Randall and Brody are tied at eight points.
Speaker 8: A right, play the drop, Phil.
Speaker 2: Hopefully it was fun for everybody. I just accidentally, but I might keep it that way. I never liked off man. You guys seem to be enjoying yourself. Why we're going to ditch this one? That's not very nice to say, rand.
Speaker 1: No, it's not you, it's us, it's everything.
Speaker 2: Okay, the tiebreaker tiebreaker question, let me get it right. If we get it right on the.
Speaker 8: Nose, well, an extra one?
Speaker 2: Okay, great, so I recon play along. But for the win, it's just Brody and Randall. What is the weight of the heaviest buck ever recorded in Main's Biggest Buck Club?
Speaker 5: I think last time, yanniosid you had a question about what the weight has to be to qualify for the Big Buck Club.
Speaker 2: That's correct. The answer does not need any decimal points, just a nice round number. M give you a hint, it'll be three digits.
Speaker 1: Minimum.
Speaker 2: What is the weight of the heaviest buck ever recorded in Main's Biggest Buck Club? Let me tell you he's a big old.
Speaker 8: You weigh the deer off of your Wisconsin property. That's getting timbered, Yanny.
Speaker 2: No, but that is something you'll remember. I was asking about that deer log book that I'm making, about what entries I'm thinking about doing the weights and adding a spot in for that. I that you good? Does everybody have an answer? Randall and Brody? Why don't you guys hide yours for a second. Everybody else revealed there, like your answer Nate three seventeen, Krinn three hundred and six, Spencer three hundred and thirteen, Alec three hundred, Tressa two hundred and seventy one Randall your answer please, big Boy three hundred forty two, Brody three hundred and fifty three. One of you is within two pounds?
Speaker 8: WHOA?
Speaker 2: The correct answer is three hundred and fifty five pounds Day, Rody the winner. This was field dressed Wow, Kill Wow by Horace Hinckley in nineteen fifty five.
Speaker 8: Fat Boy three.
Speaker 2: One hundred and fifty five pounds. Can you imagine he was.
Speaker 5: Two dollars off on the tie breaker last week, and he was two pounds off on the tiebreaker this week.
Speaker 2: He knows his numbers. I mean that's like a regular size cow elk.
Speaker 5: That's enormous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a giant.
Speaker 8: It was it was gutted.
Speaker 2: That was gutted. Yeah, another like least Brody, Where do you want to give the five hundred dollars to?
Speaker 7: I don't know what should we do? Are they still fighting that battle in Colorado?
Speaker 1: Buddy?
Speaker 2: Are they ever? I've actually received two one text, one email recently from I don't know if I can say some like a prominent organization agency in Colorado, people working for them saying hey, we could really use some op eds in Colorado right now saying why Mountain Lion should stay atus quo and be managed by CPW. So, if anybody listening has that power to write an op ed to Colorado, please please do it.
Speaker 7: So Yeah, Coloradams for Responsible Wildlife Management.
Speaker 2: There you go. Yeah, I think it made it. I'm not forget it now. Ballot initie of now is one seven? Did you get with the number one twenty six?
Speaker 1: I can't remember.
Speaker 2: We'll get that anyways, it's still a thing. It's on the ballot. Do not vote for it. Keep Mountain lion management in the hands of CPW. Thank you for listening. Join us next week for more Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always win.
Speaker 8: Thank you you're welcome.
Speaker 10: Yeah. Spencer from South Dakota. He's the host, using those smooth, mellow tones. He lays them questions down. He likes take and those two and three year old bucks. And it's an avid amateur rockhow