Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Overland Journal podcast. I'm your host, Scott Brady, and I'm here with my co host Matt Scott and today we're going to talk about my favorite thing.
Speaker 2: We're going to talk about you, me. I love talking about me. This is going to be the easiest podcast.
Speaker 1: Ever, which or not, which I think is really fun because we've done now twenty podcasts and we're so grateful for the response to the podcast. We're so thankful for all of you that loves the feedback.
Speaker 2: To get a lot of feedback on social and really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you ever have questions or suggestions, or if you need for me to do something a little different or for Matt to do something a little different. We are very new to all this. We have a passion for the subject, but we are not professional podcasters, So any suggestions that you have, we'd love to hear more. And thank you all for subscribing and for listening. And that leads us to why we're going to talk about the subject today is learning more about who Matt is and his background and asking him some questions that I think will shed some light on why he is the co host on this podcast. In his history. So, Matt, thanks for taking some time today to be the one being interviewed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, I'm I'm stoked. I love talking about myself, you know. So I learned a little bit more about you even today. I mean we have known each other for over a decade, which is so which is so fun. And I learned today that you went to school for international politics and for even some cybersecurity and international relations.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The goal was to end up, you know, foreign intelligence, some kind of three letter agency. And then I found out they paid like thirty five grand a year that I could write about cars and have fun and you know, live the life I really wanted to live and make the same amount of money. Not that it's all about money, but my life is definitely all about the things that I'm really passionate about. And you know, since I've been five years old, that has been cars. I don't I don't know anything else but cars. Well, and and tell us a little bit about that. I can see this picture in my mind of a of a five year old very ginger kid.
Speaker 1: I'm not ginger, I'm not ginger. Now you were you were in a fully suspended race car at five years old. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I tell us that the first time I drove a race car that was my actual race car, I was I was technically four. It was the day before my fifth birthday because at five you became eligible to race quarter midgets. And I grew up in the Midwest. Even though I'm an avid West Coaster now, you know, I'm a corn fed Midwesterner that used to race you know, circle track and dirt track.
Speaker 1: And it's interesting.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think when you're five years old and you're kind of groomed to be a racing driver, which you know, until I was fifteen sixteen, that's that's that was my that was my life in the same way that you know, you know football dads or hockey dads or whatever. You know, my dad, Jim Scott, you know, we raced every weekend together, and I mean that I love that, Like, you know, one of the things that drives me to be successful now is I want to go back racing with my dad.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, so basically from five to being an adult, you know, I raced everything started in quarter midgets and kind of kind of everything a bunch of road corps, a bunch of you know, a lot of circle track stuff, And yeah, I guess it just changes things, you know, at a young age when you are having to communicate at five years old, you know to your crew chief, my dad that you know, the car is a little bit loose going into turn three. It's not a thing that I guess most five year olds are thinking. So it's never it's never shut off. And I think that's why I got into reviewing cars and I've had, you know, a modest success with that and the writing thing, because to a degree has come second nature for me.
Speaker 1: I'm one of those weird guys that.
Speaker 2: Can feel the the you know, there's a little bit too much preload on the right rear shock or something like that.
Speaker 1: Sure, I don't know. I'm just a car guy and I love it well. And that's an It leads to a couple questions on the driving side, because one thing that I've noticed is once people shift from driving recreationally to semi professionally or professionally or even in a very advanced amateur way where they're getting a lot of training, so much shifts for them. What are some of your key takeaways that you've had as a driver that have then influenced who you are as a traveler and then even as a businessman, smooth as fast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's one thing that I always that has just drilled into my head.
Speaker 1: You know, my my.
Speaker 2: Uncle is is a racing instructor. He's been a racing instructor, used to be with Skip Barber from the eighties and now he works at BMW and kind of everybody. But he always drilled that into my head. And that's something that that stuck with me through travel. You know, for me, smooth travel is just proper preparation. You know, it's figuring out, figuring out what you're doing, and in business too, just keeping it, keeping a cool head.
Speaker 1: I remember that what you just said brought me back to within the first couple of months of you starting to work with us, you had a jeep wrangler. Oh it was horrible. Yeah, and we were we were up we were up in the mountains outside of Prescott, and we were working through a pretty technical trail in the snow. Yeah. And and I remember I had given you a couple pieces of advice and and you just like I saw all the bulbs come on and You're like, it's just like racing. I need to be smooth in order to get through this range.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I guess race car, four wheel drive, vehicle, whatever, and anything with four wheels, two wheels that has a motor. It's it's all about just inputs, right, So if you're smooth with your inputs off road, you're not going to break traction.
Speaker 1: If you're smooth off road, you know.
Speaker 2: The second best thing that always sticks in the automotive is something you taught me that off roading is like a chess game, right, And I think by being smooth through that chess game, that's that's how you win.
Speaker 1: Sure, and you're thinking a couple moves ahead, Ryeah, if you're focused on the trail immediately in front of you, you're going to miss setting yourself up exactly.
Speaker 2: I was always taught you know, if I'm going into turn three, I'm looking through turn four, you're looking not at where you're you know, you look where you want to go, You're not looking at where you're going. Sure, And I think the same thing applies for off road. So I think on the car front, then if you could have any car not a full wheel drive right now, what would you what would you buy?
Speaker 1: Anything? Anything?
Speaker 2: Probably a nine to eleven, nice you're I really like the nine nine sevens. It's before they got too big. It's after the reliability and quality issues of the nine to ninety six and the ugly headlights.
Speaker 1: They're good value.
Speaker 2: There's still a kind of emotional vehicle. You know, you still feel the still feel the engine rumbled just a little bit.
Speaker 1: And could that be a track car for you? Would that be the thing that gets you back into racing with your dad?
Speaker 2: You know, if if I was to get back into racing, it'd have to be in a race car, you know. I mean it would be like trying to take your you know, year Tacoma that you've built for overlanding and do the one thousand in it. Right, There's just there's so many differences. And honestly, taking a street car to the track as a primary thing, I've never understood that. I mean, I raised Formula cars so I could buy a twenty thousand dollars used Formula.
Speaker 1: Mazda or whatever.
Speaker 2: The Mazda or Formula Enterprise is a series that I that I follow, and I can turn Lamborghini Super Fail lap times than a twenty thousand dollars car that's well, that's reable to service, and that's an that's an open wheel car.
Speaker 1: That's an open wheel car. Yeah, so that's interesting. So and I hadn't considered that because for me, I think the thing that's that's maybe romantic is the idea of getting a Lotus or getting a Porsche, or getting some kind of a of a car, grand touring car or something that could even be on a track and then taking it on and I think maybe it's just romantic, maybe it's not actually the best choice. And I think that that translates to the overlanding concept as well, is that there are things that are actually really really good for travel and it may not be the same vehicle that we want, we want to build, or that we want.
Speaker 2: To drive as a traveler. Yeah, I mean as a traveler, the answer is sprinter. Yeah right, But I don't want to I don't want to drive a delivery van. Yeah, Like I don't think anybody wakes up and says, oh wow, I really want to drive the same thing that the FedEx guy drives. Like, no disrespect to the FedEx guy, but I'm sure if he could drive a Jeep Wrangler for his job, Yeah, he would probably drive a Jeep Wrangler over a delivery van, sure, you know, but it's very practical, you know, Yeah, clicks all the boxes where you can live out of it, and it's secure and yeah, I mean I'm a car guy again, so there's I'm not the most practical. I like to have very purpose built vehicles, like my Gladiator. I think is a good example of that. It's it can kind of go anywhere. But it's also stockish. But I'm stockish. Okay, I take that back, right. It drives very well.
Speaker 1: It drives well. You were very intentional about it. In fact, I would say that you're your Gladiator. Of all of the eight hundred and sixty seven cars that you've purchased since I've met you, was the one that surprised me the most because it's the one that is the most practical.
Speaker 2: I've owned it for almost a year now and I have zero ow intentions of selling it. It just it works. It does everything so well. So it's your version of the Sprinter, It's it's my version.
Speaker 1: Of the Sprinter.
Speaker 2: It has that at summit camper on the back. It's comfortable, it's quiet camp in. It drives great, you know a little bit of wind noise, because I mean it is a jeep, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just remember you had you had that Wrangler and then you bought a one o nine land Rover. I traded that Wrangler for that one o nine, which was a hell of a deal. And I think that that Wrangler was like a salvage title rusted to junk. I want to say that I traded a cross rocket for it that had been dropped like twelve times when I was pretty young. Right, it was bad.
Speaker 2: I remember the like you know, track bar angles were like something really grease.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was really good. But so you I remember you got into that series three was it a series series two? As And for me that is where it all clicked.
Speaker 2: That was the transition from from Midwest Matt to West coast Matt.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: The jeep was a car I had in Illinois. We drove through cornfields. I moved out here knowing very little about travel. You know, I had always traveled racing, you know, every weekend we were driving to Indianapolis or wherever it was in was in our region. But moving out here was just a was a big change for me. Like I still I still remember that that I call my chest moment. That I realized, like I don't have to fly through everything that it was just like it was just like racing. And I've and I've carried that with me and the land Rover taught me. It taught me that things were about passion and I and I had actually had had had a land River before this. My first car was a land River Discovery. I guess when you have a kid that grew up around race car, is the last thing that you really want is a you.
Speaker 1: Want to.
Speaker 2: Why I don't want to drive something slow on a road with other people. And I still kind of feel that way, but yeah, that was a big transition for me. It made me realize that I loved travel, but I also loved the how the vehicle could play a part of that, like that the vehicle can be a traveler in its own the vehicle can have a personality.
Speaker 1: And that did I. I remember hearing you laugh and seeing you smile more with that car than anything else because it was like it was like the circus bear on the on the tricycle. I mean it was like literally it was so fun because it was spinning, it was you were constantly having to.
Speaker 2: You were working at That's where I learned how to drive with that car. You know, it was so analog And do you miss that with your You have such capable vehicles, now do you miss that haphazardous sort of the series. I think if I was to get another car, get I'd get a flat fender. You know, my buddy, my buddy Brad in Australia has a four GPW that we've taken up Cape York, taken a Fraser Island, kind of taken all over and you want to see me smile and it's it's in something with breaks. It doesn't work a gearbox, it doesn't want to go in gear and you know, no power steering. I think everybody should have those should have those experiences. And I agree, you know, it teaches you, like I now know what horrible axles are. I didn't have the Salisbury in mind, so like I had to learn how to replace an axle. I had to learn how to you know, replace things.
Speaker 1: And be really gentle as a driver.
Speaker 2: Yeah, learn how to be smooth in a different way.
Speaker 1: I do realize, like even in my own history, that some of the most fun that I've had was in the vehicles that were the least suited for the activity because then because then even a trip to Sedona like we did that one day, was like an expedition because it was like you had no idea if you were going to make it, if you're going to get stuck, if something was just going to stop working. I mean, yeah, it was fun. You know.
Speaker 2: I think you can definitely isolate yourself from adventure, right, And I if I was to critique myself, that's probably something that I do. I have a you know, my personality. I like to perfect things. I find joy in building beautiful overland vehicles for myself.
Speaker 1: Something to anybody agree, Yeah, but yeah, it's it's it's interesting, you know.
Speaker 2: I think it's you know, now it's my travels that have influenced my vehicles more so than you know. Early it was the passion for the cars, and then I found out I could travel on them as I got older. Because I'm still young. I mean a lot of people probably think, well, I just turned thirty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, so.
Speaker 2: When did I start working for Overland International? I still had an Exhibition's West business card that I found the other day, So I mean that was that was when I was twenty. I was that was over ten those ten years ago or something.
Speaker 1: It had to have been more than that because we started the corporation Overland International in twenty twelve. Yeah, so yeah, so yeah, it's been it's been a while, which is it's just been fun to watch. But I mean that was the launch pad for for I guess my career.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, I started write for EXCISSI and Portal before I moved out here a little bit. And yep, you know, people always ask me, well, I'd love to learn how to write.
Speaker 1: And I always say, well, just do it, because I was not a.
Speaker 2: Writer, you know when I first when I first started, as you said, like I I believed in ethics very strongly, and I had a very technical knowledge and understanding of things. But you know, I didn't know how to use an apostrophe appropriately.
Speaker 1: Now I do. It takes time. And I remember mentioning that to you. Is that the reason why I thought you would be a great fit is that you always told the truth and that you always had an opinion. And for me that that that ethics is so critical. I mean, the only time we've ever terminated an editor is because of an ethics violation. So it's for me, it's it's really that comes down to it, or else the reader loses faith.
Speaker 2: It's all about the reader. You know, you're you are, you are providing a service for that reader. You're not providing a service for yourself. The reader doesn't really care about, you know, the emotion, the contrived emotional backstory, like they want to know the facts. They want to know the information. And my style from that and mixing it into my thing became entertained and inform and that's something that I've.
Speaker 1: Always tried to do.
Speaker 2: Writing about cars can be very technical, and it can be very specific.
Speaker 1: It doesn't mean that it has to be boring. And I think for the listener that is I mean during this time that we're in right now, which this is being recorded during a time that a lot of the country is still under a shelter in place order and a lot of people are trying to start their own podcast, or they're trying to start their own website, or they're trying to write for an outlet like Overland Journal or Expedition Portal. A little bit of advice that comes along with this interview, and that I watched Matt execute very well when you started working with us, is focus on the reader first. Focus on telling a great story that is evergreen, that can last a long time, because those articles like that really provide a strong return on investment to the publisher that you're working with. But if I was to give anyone that's listening advice is don't just pitch a publisher like, hey, I'd like to write for you. The best thing that you can do, because publishers and editors are extremely busy. The best thing that you can do is find a great story. Write the entire thing up, have all of the images ready to go in a dropbox or on a Google drive, have all of the images edited, have the article completely edited. Then send the publisher or editor a note and say I've been thinking about your magazine. I have purchased several copies, I understand your writing style. I have provided a complete story for your consideration totally, and I can tell you that our editors they pick up stories like that all the time. It's I think the challenge is that if someone says, hey, I'd like to write for you, that going to the editor knows that now this is a twenty step process to get to a final piece. Whereas if somebody says I love your publication. I have purchased your publication. I'm a reader of your publication. I understand your style and your style guide, and I've delivered a product that you could put to print. Yep.
Speaker 2: You know, I think when you're submitting something to an editor, it needs to be something that, to the best of your ability, is ready to run in that publication. Yeah, fifteen hundred words does not mean that two thousand is better, right. It means that he really wanted fourteen hundred, right, you know. Yeah, And that was an interesting thing. I mean, I guess you know, when I was running exhibition portal, it was cool to work with all these travelers. And it's interesting like some of the people that I that I worked with, even at a young age, you know, I was kind of able to help improve their writing and help improve and send them on the right direction. And now these people have turned into writers full time. You know that that's how they're sustaining themselves, trying. As the industry has grown, there's been more and more opportunity for people and all think of all of the friends that we have that are writing for for us or writing for other outlets. There's a lot of great magazines, And that leads me to the question, how did it feel when you had your first article published by Outside? You know, it was it was pretty cool, Like I've I've followed Outside for a really long time. You know, they they really lead in kind of outdoor journalism. I agree, you know, and I was really lucky. I became really good friends with my editor, my current editor over there, Wes Wes Siler, And you know, he's been another one of those kind of mentors in my life that was never afraid to tell me what I was doing wrong. He really helped refine my writing style. So yeah, so, I mean, I guess going back to the first time, I was elated. You know, I sent it to everybody I know and it was so cool, like here's my name on that massive But it was the same way the first time I was publishing Overland Journal, the first time I was published on Expission Portal. Like, you know, I was working for land Rover at the time, and I don't even know how that worked. So I was working for land Rover, decided to I mean, I dropped out of school and decided to make the cars my life. And my kind of performance driving background got me and got me in the door with doing some some training with them, and then moved to Panama. But I don't know, I still love getting published.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think Outside Magazine was the first magazine that I ever subscribed to, and I remember the first time that my words ended up in print in Outside. It was just it felt to me like as nearly as exciting as the first time that I printed in Overland Journal.
Speaker 2: And I don't do a huge amount with them, but I think the stuff that I do is relatively significant.
Speaker 1: I mean it is, Yeah, you're there, you know, full Drive Automotive Journal. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean Wes is pretty competent too, you know, you know he knows the stuff. But yeah, it's it's it's fun. It's ah. I don't know how much you guys know, but I I also own a company called Adventure Imports. Not trying to plug that necessarily, but you know, that's that's my day job.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I've kind of transitioned away from you know, full time editorial after I was running a magazine called Unsealed four by four in Australia and I live down there and then move back to start this business. But now it's it's a passion project. For me, it's so it's it's cool I can take more time to do things. I can really you know, put my best work out there and I and I love doing that, and I love doing this podcast too, Like it's it's nice to you know, over the time that I've been doing this and the countries I've been to, in the places I've traveled, it's nice to be able to share that information, you know. And something that's really you know, passionate that I'm passionate about is that overlanding is about travel. Like I mean, I'm a huge car guy. I geek out on building these things. But for me, it's it all comes back to the travel.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I feel like for myself too that it's relatively balanced. I was probably more about the vehicle early on, but now I don't. I don't enjoy it any less. I still I love turning wrenches myself. For me, it is my downtime is busting knuckles and getting dirty hands. So I like working on my own vehicle and I still do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like with COVID, I've been working on my land Cruiser, like I've been gigging out rebuilding doors, you know, Yeah, but trying to trying to keep the parts, trying to keep things original. But okay, let's figure out how we rebuild a window motor, Let's figure out how we rebuild this doorhande. Let's figure out how we can make these things better.
Speaker 1: And and then that way, when you drive it around the world, you know how that all goes together. You've actually exactly, you've actually turned the wrenches on that car. Which leads me to a few more questions, primarily around your travels. But you grew up in Chicago, and then you did move out west, and then you ended up in Panama, and now tell a little bit of that story, because that's a great Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I ran a hostel down there for a brief period called I mean it was called Panama Passage, right, But that was really that was a huge fulcrum point or transition point for me as a person, because I want to say I was twenty or twenty. It was right before I moved here. I was I was running a hostele for international travelers. So like, yeah, I'm still friends with people that I met there. I don't remember a lot of it, sorry, Christian, but I was drunk for a lot of it, and you know, just being in this environment and learning how to ship vehicles because I was doing it every single day, learning how to do the paperwork. I mean that was one of the things is we would help travelers ship their vehicles. So, yeah, Panama was cool to live right downtown. That was really an experience that.
Speaker 1: What a neat city. Really cool, really really cool. Most people have no idea how mod I remember I was going downtown to meet with the ship or because we were going to be shipping the vehicles from after we went to the dairy and gap, and I remember going downtown and there's like Porsche Cayenne, like oh yeah. It's like people have no idea. They think it's Central America and it's third world, like Panama City not third world. Yeah, I mean some of the buildings that are pretty crazy.
Speaker 2: I mean this was obviously before his President Trump has like a massive casino and beautiful building, massive there's sky rises. Yeah, I mean it's it. It looks almost like Miami. It really feels that way to me. But and of course, yeah, you got the Panama Canal and all of I never even saw. I never time to go back. I never went to the to the locks. I lived like a mile from the Miraflora's locks. It's that's how it works. But there's there's kind of this traveler hangout. It's the uh say, it's a Balboa yacht club and you can watch the boats.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's so good. I camped out there and that. Yeah, yeah, that's awesome. So then so you you were in Panama, then you ended up in Arizona for a little while, and then you moved internationally again, where did you go? That's when I moved to Australia. There's a pit stop in Pismo Beach there. That's when I'm right.
Speaker 2: I met Laura and Prescott and then she's a wildlife biologist and she was working at Pismo Dunes. She's my dune driver. I love driving in the dunes. But you know, she day in, day out drove Pismo Dunes. She mastered its masterclass. Yeah, so when we moved to Australia, and you know, I eventually moved on from that from that magazine who I still write for. Still have a great relationship with Pat Callanhan down there, and uh, you know, it was cool to be able to do the Simpson and just like throw her the keys and like, oh, Yeah, this is the biggest, dude, here's big.
Speaker 1: Right, I want to get some photos drive up at Yeah, I wish you'd get I wish you'd get stuck more. But that's awesome. So you were in Australia for so I lived.
Speaker 2: I lived in the Blue Mountains and made a lot of you know, just really dear friends down there. You know, people people I still talk to. Yeah, Australia is a special place for me. I spend quite a bit of time there obviously with with with my business and importing a few product lines from down there. And it's really still it feels like a second home to me. You know, it doesn't it doesn't feel foreign. And you were there for how long? I was there for a little over a year, and then I spend about a month or two a year there, usually.
Speaker 1: Sometimes less, sometimes more. And then you've all one of your places. I've asked you before when you're what's your favorite place to travel? And you really love Asia?
Speaker 2: What love Southeast Asia? What's some of the upsides of Asia for you? Yeah, Overlanding for me is different, and I don't think Overland has to be the same for everyone. I for I mean, I had like zero money for the longest time, and I still don't, still don't. But I realized, okay, I didn't. I didn't have the money to buy a several thousand dollars roof tent or a or an expensive vehicle or the things. So I started going to Asia because I could just fly in, rent a motorcycle or rent a scooter and have an amazing adventure in a culture that was mind blowing. Like if you think, if you think Baja is a cultural experience, like I getting lost without cell service in Vietnam on a scooter. There's no way to communicate. I mean, like the alphabet's somewhat similar. But those are the experiences.
Speaker 1: That I love. I love feels wild, I love the travel.
Speaker 2: I mean we've we've spent collectively probably a year traveling around around Southeast Asia. I'm lucky to kind of scam manage flight points a lot, so we you know, we go there quite a bit. Unfortunately, with with COVID, that's going to be everything's on hold, a little bit of a hold, so but you know, that's life.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, Matt, thanks so much for answering some questions and giving the listener a chance to learn a little bit more about who you are. We could spend a couple hours and of course complex, complex, varying and juxtapost Yeah, and at only thirty, I can't imagine what the next thirty years are going to you know, I'm excited about life.
Speaker 2: I think after this this COVID thing is done, you know, I hope people kind of come together and I think, you know, for travelers, once the vaccine's out and everybody's not paranoid about catching this thing, I hope it brings people together. And I intend as soon as we're able to travel, I'm going I'm going to go drive around the world.
Speaker 1: I'm going to I'm going to do something and you've got you've got a land cruiser to do it. And for those that are listening, you can you can find Matt tell Us your Instagram here.
Speaker 2: So I'm Matt Explore on Instagram. I sporadically post I occasionally find the apenoid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's push notifications that I and then you run adventure imports, Yeah, yeah, run Adventure Imports where the Max tracks M S A and in deflate distributors for the United States. And of course we're we're sharing that as information about Matt. We Matt and I both have a very strong belief in identifying any conflicts of interest, so we we we will always disclose those in any of our any of our podcasts.
Speaker 2: But because it's about the reader and in this case the listener, not about us.
Speaker 1: Well, we thank you all so much for listening, and we thank you all so much for learning a little bit more about Matt. You can reach out to him on Instagram if you've got additional questions, and we will talk to you all next time. Take care, guys,