Speaker 1: This is the most dramatic podcast ever and iHeartRadio podcast. Chris Harrison and Laurence Ema coming to you from the home office in Austin, Texas.
Speaker 2: It is Oscar Monday.
Speaker 3: We watched the Oscars on a plane leaving Los Angeles. We were in LA to surprise a friend, our wonderful friend for her birthday and had a great time. Caught up with friends in Los Angeles for a couple of days and then flew back. But hey, thanks to American Airlines for the live TV. I really enjoyed watching the Oscars on the airplane, Unlike when I was on the airplane for the Super Bowl. Not everybody. In fact, I saw nobody else watching it. Like when I was in an airport for the Super Bowl. It's on TVs at the restaurants, people are crowding around watching. That was not happening for the Oscars. As a lover of pop culture, I wish that it was.
Speaker 1: I made mention as we were at the gate we were about to get on and this is minutes before the Oscars was about to start, and what I know, and there was there were some people that we had brushed into in LA were in the industry, so there was some mention of it, but overall, I would say, very little buzz, very little attention, very little care in the world for the Oscars, and there just isn't any buzz. And we were in Los Angeles, so you know you would.
Speaker 4: I hope the ratings are better. I want it to be good.
Speaker 3: I was, okay, first of all, again we should talk about it's a good show. We're going to talk about our favorite moments. I really thought the Oscars were good, but I did think about, like I remember reading the statistic that like twenty years ago, the Oscars. I'm not going to get these numbers right, right, but it was something at like twice the viewership it's set now. And then the Super Bowl was like way less, Like last year was the biggest. This past one was the biggest super Bowl ever.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, it was one hundred and twenty two million, and.
Speaker 3: It was like the biggest all thing ever watching it since the moon landing or something crazy.
Speaker 4: So sports has something gone up.
Speaker 3: The Oscars has gone down, and I do think people are crying out for a unified experience, and the Oscars could be that the problem is they don't spot like they've spent years not spotlighting the movies that the audiences are going to see. Like I did see a statistic yesterday. So last night, if you missed the Oscars spoiler alert, the Best Picture winner was Oppenheimer. And I saw a note a fact that the Oppenheimer is the first major box office like big box office movie to win Best Picture since Lord of the Rings Return of the King twenty years ago. It is the first movie since The King Speech, which was an independent film back in twenty eleven. I believe that has made over four hundred million in the box office. So, long story short, this is the first time in twenty years the Academy has awarded a movie that its audience all went to see with the Best Picture award. So you're not giving people the content that they're engaging in. And I think that's a huge part of the problem.
Speaker 1: When we look back and you and I listened to podcasts all the time, Rewatchables or whatever, and you talk about these these crazy years when there were movies going against each other.
Speaker 3: Right, Like nineteen ninety four is this famously incredible year for movies. It was like Forrest Gump and I want a good Will hunting or maybe shawshank There were all these amazing movies all in.
Speaker 1: One year, right, and you're talking about these movies and you're like, how did they choose and best actor? And it was the greatest actors of all time going against each other. It's like, how did they choose? That's what we all tuned in for is we saw these great movies that we loved all year, we talked about them all year, and then they were celebrated. Now again different time. We actually had to go to the theater or you had to rent them from blockbusters, so you know, the actions could.
Speaker 3: Imagine, But imagine if over the past ten years, yeah, superhero movies which are which largely were very good. I mean I loved all the Ironman movies on it. What if they'd been awarding giving the moscars.
Speaker 1: Right, Robert Donney Junior won last night. He easily could have won for Iron Man one.
Speaker 4: Or he's incredible in these movies.
Speaker 1: Those movies fantastic. Now again those have declined and they've gotten bad. But for a while they were everything and they were.
Speaker 3: But no matter what, blowing out the box office, flowing out the box office.
Speaker 4: Like luckily this past.
Speaker 3: Year we had a return to people going to the movies with Barbie and with Oppenheimer awesome because to me, I'm happy to watch something at home, but I like going to the movies.
Speaker 4: It's a date night.
Speaker 1: Paltro Jon Favreau couldn't have won as supporting actors and actresses in those movies for Pepper Potts and for me.
Speaker 2: I mean they were great.
Speaker 4: It was the Academy's mistake.
Speaker 1: That is a huge, huge when when all those the Academy and the executives go, they're scratching their heads.
Speaker 2: Yef year, what are we doing wrong? Maybe it's them.
Speaker 1: It's always them, right, it's oh, people don't get us, and they dive deeper and deep or into these films that nobody sees. That is not to negate or crap on independent filmmaking, small filmmaking. It is wonderful. It is an art and those people need to be shown as well, but not at the Oscars. The Oscars is a stage. The Oscars isn't for tech technically, it isn't for the industry. It's to promote the film industry. That's really what it's for. It's to blow this film industry.
Speaker 2: Up into shows. Well, the thing is, it's right light on what everybody's doing.
Speaker 4: It's really the simple why put it on TV?
Speaker 3: If it's not gonna be for the people who for the people at home who are ninety nine percent of them are not in Los Angeles in this industry, why put it on TV then and just do your own little awards show, which I think is how it started.
Speaker 4: But if you're going to put it.
Speaker 3: On TV and you want people to watch, to me, it's actually rude to the audience at home to not nominate and let win the movies that they're loving to watch, Then why would they care? And guess what they haven't cared. So this year was a return back to that, and I hope it gets better from here.
Speaker 1: If there was a course correction at one hundred percent, I'd say they course corrected sixty percent.
Speaker 4: Barbie should have won some stuff.
Speaker 2: Barbie should have been nominated.
Speaker 4: Gerwig should have been nominated.
Speaker 1: Barbie should have been nominated for some stuff. We'll get to Jimmy Kimmel, but one of the I guess few things that Jimmy Kimmel actually was good and dead on last night was when he mentioned Barbie off the top in Greta Gerwig and everybody was applauding, and he said, no, no, no, no, you guys are responsible for this. Don't applaud like your standing for Greta Gerwig when you didn't nominate her, and that that was actually funny that Jimmy Kimmel hit. We'll get to Jimmy in a little bit. But the fact that the Barbenheimer movement was everything this year in the movies, and Oppenheimer was so celebrated last night, definitely deservedly so, but Barbie largely was not other than like song and some other things they were nominated for, and I know Gosling performed, we'll talk about that. Overall, a pretty big miss.
Speaker 4: Well, it was a layup. It's just a right.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, again should have been nominated for Best Director, Margot Robbie should have been nominated, and she wasn't. And then it didn't even really win in categories. I thought it would like set and costume, Poor Things beat it Poor Things with Emma Stone and Mark Ruffalo one more than I thought it was going to. And I think that's the voting of the Academy as kind of leaning towards that artseer, you know, more different movie and I haven't seen Poor Things.
Speaker 4: I've heard it's great.
Speaker 3: I'm sure it is, and you know what I will say, at least it as a really well known star in it, and Emma Stone Like audiences love Emma Stone.
Speaker 4: Last night and her speech was super cute.
Speaker 3: A lot of people felt Lily Gladstone should have won, and I actually think you could see it on Ema Stone's face when she got announced that she was like.
Speaker 4: Wait, I won.
Speaker 1: Leonardo DiCaprio had famously been campaigning for her so hard. He was not nominated and did not show up last night, but he had been campaigning for her, and a lot of people thought that would really help this scorsesey as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I haven't seen Killers of the Flower Moon. I've heard she's incredible in that.
Speaker 4: And would it have been? Nice?
Speaker 2: Time?
Speaker 3: So long?
Speaker 4: Let's take Jim about that last night. I liked that joke for Moon too.
Speaker 3: He kind of called everybody out and said all of your movies are too long. The average movie I'll get it wrong, but he cited the average movie nominated was like two hours and twenty minutes long or something. Give me a tight ninety Yeah, what happened to the hour and forty minute mon.
Speaker 1: My loved Oppenheimer, truly loved Oppenheimer. The performances, the movie, the story, everything.
Speaker 2: It was too damn long.
Speaker 1: I mean even that movie Man, there were so I could go in without even blinking. I could cut forty five minutes out of that film and it would still be too long.
Speaker 3: Well, if you want people to go see movies in the theater, I've heard a lot of people say this.
Speaker 4: It is this basic.
Speaker 3: They shouldn't have to take a bathroom break, like it should be two hours or less if they have to go pee and miss the movie.
Speaker 1: Just remember going to see Gandhi when there was you know, you had the intermission. I was like, what is happening because that was such a rare thing back in the day to have, Yeah, a movie so long that there was an intermission. And that's we're leaning into a Broadway play where there are intermissions where we got to take a break. But overall, as we get into the show, well, let's talk about when I say the course correction, they did a better job because the show seemed more modern. We didn't have the Voice of God kind of talking, and.
Speaker 4: Alan Greer was doing the voice which I loved. We had some fun with it.
Speaker 1: Very recognizable, but less voiceover work like it's nineteen seventy four. The set seemed good, the graphics were tight. There were stars, stars that we all recognize, because again, there are movies that we actually watched this year. So it just felt fresh and it felt good. It felt like we were going to have.
Speaker 2: A good time.
Speaker 3: I would give it the review of this is the best Oscars I've seen in a couple of years in a while.
Speaker 4: Really.
Speaker 3: I thought the stage was beautiful, the production was tight. There weren't big misses, it kept moving. There weren't any presenting moments where it was like god, this written, like really, this is the best thing we could write. Nothing painful like that. And I also realized in watching it, you know it is hard. And I'll give Awards shows this, which is a struggle in the age of social media. This used to be the only place you could see these celebrities. It was on these awards shows, and it was really special in the age of social media. A lot of them have social media, but what you can get at these awards shows and what they leaned into a little last night, and I hope they lean into better in the future is just really rare cool moments of celebrities coming together, and like like watching Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito together last night. They were so funny together, they were so naturally charismatic and what took it to the next level And I thought, Okay, someone really thought this out a little better. At first, you thought it was going to be a twins reunion. I was going to say the same thing, and then they cut to Michael Keaton in the audience and you realized they were playing off of the fact that they were both in Batman movies.
Speaker 2: And they both got killed by by Batman who was right there. It was Genie.
Speaker 4: It made it.
Speaker 3: Really fun putting Emily Blunt and Ryan Gosling together, you know, listen and people need a reason those two were together presenting or acknowledging the stunt community on stage because they're doing the movie The fall Guy, about a stuntman that comes out soon. But they were in Barbie and Oppenheimer. They made they had fun with that.
Speaker 2: Like they were funny.
Speaker 1: They were funny, Yeah, and I loved I love Ryan kind of giving a shot at Oppenheimer, you know about briding, you know, Barbie, uh taking you know, rid and so it's just brilliant.
Speaker 2: It was really well done.
Speaker 3: I thought those moments were great. I guess we're getting into highlights. I thought the John seen a moment of him coming out naked.
Speaker 2: I agree, like, I'm sorry, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I know some people online are really been out of shape about it, but come on, it was really no different than what he wears in wrestling. If he'd had a little singlet on, which is what they wear their little briefs, it's the same.
Speaker 2: He had a card. I mean, it's not like you didn't you saw anything you weren't supposed to.
Speaker 4: But again, here's where they were.
Speaker 3: I thought it was funny and the writing took it to the next level. At first, I thought, oh, he's just going to come out and streak, and it wasn't going to be that funny. But the fact that he walks out and he says he's doing the award for costume design, I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, that's costumes are important, maybe the most important thing. Yes, and again I'll give I'll give Kimmel credit here. Good bit. That was a good bit. He went back and had a little back and.
Speaker 3: Forth with whatever was writing last night. I kind of felt like, and I know, like Jimmy Kimmel and his wife Molly.
Speaker 4: I think it's McNerney.
Speaker 3: She actually was big in kind of the improv comedy scene when I was first starting in LA and I think she wrote for his show and now she produces, so she produced the show last night. I don't know who they brought in, but the writers they had for last night, it was elevated.
Speaker 4: It was good.
Speaker 2: It was different.
Speaker 1: I'll just say about Kimmel, you know, hosting that event is very hard. It's notoriously a very difficult thing. He's done what four or five years I think in a row, and he didn't do bad. I'd say I give him a B minus. Some of his stuff off the top of the monologue seemed tired, like like it's I agree, I've seen it before, and you.
Speaker 4: Know, I actually just thought he seemed a little tired. He seemed like a little like he just done this before.
Speaker 3: Like there were a few times when he came out and he kept going, how are we doing? I know it's long, and I'm like, well, if you're like, I don't know who else they could get to do the job, because that job is so notoriously dangerous for your career, Like, think of what you know, who you.
Speaker 2: Know first of all? Who everybody wants.
Speaker 4: Now give us John Mullaney.
Speaker 1: Give us John Mullaney. He was so much you let him host the Oscars. Jimmy, I agree.
Speaker 2: And what is a.
Speaker 1: Turnoff for the millions that are watching and there will be millions that are watches. Don't come out and crap on the show you're hosting. You immediately come out and say, hey, guys, I know it shouldn't be but this is going to be long.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be boring.
Speaker 1: You're gonna all suffer through this, Like I am, let's just strap in, like what the.
Speaker 2: Yes, it probably will be long.
Speaker 1: And yes, even though they started an hour early, they still went over there allotted time last night. But I don't It's just it's such a thing to come out and just tell everybody how your show is gonna suck and then kind of go through and crap on some movies. We're imm a stone now. Of course, you see on social media where she kind of called Kimmel a prick, it looks like.
Speaker 4: That's some people are saying she settled the lip readers.
Speaker 1: For kind of you know, crapping on her movie. And then you had John mulaney come out and easily the best written comedic bit of the night that celebrated movies and it was funny. That's what we miss. That's the Billy Crystal, that's the Steve Martin, Jimmy Kimmel. Again, I'm not gonna give him a failing grade. I'll give him a B minus because he moved the show along and he did have some highlights, but overall, I think we need a fresh start.
Speaker 3: Well, as you're saying, it's such good insight from you, as someone who's hosted how many live two hour shows, I was just thinking, what if you came out and started after the final rows with Hey, everybody, I know this is long and it's gonna be tough.
Speaker 2: This this is a rough night.
Speaker 4: Here we go.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm contractually obligated to do this, so you know, just just bear with me, will you. And I'm like, what what tone are you setting? It's this is the biggest night of the year, millions of are watching around the world.
Speaker 3: I think the problem is that statement he's making is to the people in the room. But first of all, the nominees are still excited. Like Robert Downey Junior has been in this industry for twenty years, the ups and downs he's had, as he alluded to last night, the man at one point couldn't get a job, couldn't get insured, he was a drug addict.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm not saying anything he hasn't said. And he's now winning an Oscar like he is Hollywood's comebackstory. Yeah, but for so for him, he's excited to be there and like it marks a real moment of he made it, and he did it and he came back from the darkness. And so you're saying to the people in the room, this is going to be long, but you're saying to the people at home, go ahead and turn off your TV if you want. Like so, I think if he'd cut out those comments. Overall, I thought, again, it was well written, It moved well. I did laugh out loud a couple of times, and that's not the case for every award show. And you know, people looked great and like, the packages are really nice. I really liked the Well we'll get into that buty. Just sticking on Kimmel, I think that I remember him saying that he came back. I think because of Barbie and that's why he decided to do it again. And I can't imagine it's easy to get someone to do this, Like I wonder if they've asked John mulaney and he said no up until this point.
Speaker 2: I bet not because Kimmel's ABC.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, And whether he will admit it or not, it's a big gig for him and you know, to be on that stage and to be that guy. But I think everybody's a little tired of him, and I think he's tired. And if I think, if he was being honest, he might say himself, if you interviewed him today, are you into this? Are you excited? Because it seemed like he was put out. I guess that's the best thing. I think when he came out for the monologue, he really seemed put out, like I can't believe you guys are doing this and I got to be here instead of I didn't feel the excitement. When Johnmulaney came out, I was like, I'm in man, Let that guy do thirty minutes, let him cook. I am into his monologue, let him go.
Speaker 3: And then that presenting moment at the Oscars. I saw a lot of people tweeting and saying, well, he just nailed his audition for hosting the Oscars, Like now he's done the Governor's Awards, they know he can do an awards show. And then he did the big stage and he was really funny and crushed it.
Speaker 2: And that's my twenty twenty four prediction.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's I think if he wants it, I think after last night it's his.
Speaker 2: I don't know if he wants it.
Speaker 1: We need him, Yeah, we need him. We need a f and the Academy does too. It'll be huge to have a fresh a change.
Speaker 3: And he's a little younger and like he is, and by that I just I mean younger audiences know him like our kids.
Speaker 4: They love his comedy. You know what I noticed, college kids love his comedy.
Speaker 2: The audience responded to him. And I don't mean us the viewers.
Speaker 1: I mean the people in that theater which are hardened and barely paying attention because look, there's a lot going on. I'll tell you about you because I've been to the Oscar several times, so have you, and it is a long, arduous journey when you're in that audience because it's really made for TV, so you can't hear a lot. But what I noticed when they panned out, people were laughing, people were into his comedy, and he was killing the room.
Speaker 3: What a lot of people say about these hosting gigs is you have to find the person who appeals to the audience at home and in the room. Very rare, like it's tough sometimes if you get like I know Joe Coy, I mean he now infamously bombed at the Golden Globes this year. But what I heard some industry people say is no one in the industry really knows him, Like he's a stand up comedian with an audience in America, but he's not like well known and hasn't been in movies and people don't know him as well in Hollywood.
Speaker 2: I guess, well, that's why Crystal and Steve Martin did so well for so long.
Speaker 4: That's what I mean.
Speaker 3: They need, They need to feel like if they're going to get roasted, it's at least a friendly face to me it because there is going to be a little poking fun. So like, look, even Kimmel last night, he said something and seemingly I'm a stone and love the comment. But so I think people John Mulaney might be striking that right note of known to audiences at this point, even if he is isn't as famous as Jimmy Kimmel, but also known to the people in the road.
Speaker 1: So I give Kimmel a B minus and I say, we're moving on fresh Blood.
Speaker 2: What's your grade for Kimmel.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll give Kimmel a B plus and I'll give the show overall an A minus.
Speaker 2: I'm with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, it was the most entertaining Oscars I've watched in quite some time, because again, I liked the addition of when they're announcing Best Actor, Best Actress and Supporting actor categories, they brought up five formers, so we just were inundated with star We saw stars, and there were a lot of big stars.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I know, Margot Robbie wasn't nominated, but she's there, Greta Gerwig was there, Emma Stone and al Pacino came out in the most bizarre fashion, but he got a standing ovation. And talk about an ainery, cranky old man that gives zero f's in the world.
Speaker 4: You know what, I'll push back. I don't think he's angry.
Speaker 2: I thought it was a moment.
Speaker 3: Okay, it was an old man movement. But he wasn't cranky. I have interviewed al Pacino a couple of times. He's very funny, he's very nice. I don't think he's cranky. I just think he's like I agree about the I don't give enough. He didn't even read the nominees.
Speaker 4: He walks out, Okay, best picture.
Speaker 3: My eyes see Oppenheimer, and everybody's like, is that the winner?
Speaker 2: The winner? It was so bizarre.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is the pin ultimate moment, and I think what we're gonna have to do, much like maybe you know, for many jobs that are very important, we should have some sort of cognitive test. You should be able to read three lines. The nominees are the Oscar goes too.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: You have really two sentences you need to say, he missed all of them. Out of the two sentences, he said no.
Speaker 4: I don't think that's about an ability to read. I think he just didn't care to read him. I think he doesn't have enough time. He's like, I gotta go.
Speaker 2: He just stumbled out on stage.
Speaker 1: This is what we've been watching three and a half hours for we get out there and he's like mumbling something and he's like literally.
Speaker 4: And he has a newborn at home.
Speaker 1: Must he's scariest part to think that De Niro and Paccino sitting there with Okay, by the way, newborns.
Speaker 4: Two good jokes from Kimmel.
Speaker 3: One when Pacino came out, I think he said he'd got a sitter for the night. And two and this was like a joke and also just a moment of perspective. I think he said, Jody Foster and Robert de Niro are both here tonight. Forty years ago they were nominated for Taxi Driver and Jody Foster was old enough or was the age to be Robert de Niro's daughter tonight. She's twenty years older than his girlfriend.
Speaker 1: Twenty years too old to be his gold And Jody was like, Yep, that was that was a good That was a good.
Speaker 3: Berth Well and I love you just pointed out That's kind of what I was talking about earlier, is the power of these awards shows. They need to lean into bringing people together for special, unforgettable moments. People who wouldn't always be together. You might see them on their social media, but they wouldn't be with this other group and that was great with the bringing out the former winners to kind of give a special shout out to the current nominees in the acting categories, like to see on stage like Lupine and Yogo with like like Jamie Lee Curtis and and with you know, or to see like Sally Field along with like rig.
Speaker 2: It was great to see Oh j Low we have seen her in a while.
Speaker 4: J Lobby.
Speaker 3: Yeah, these groups of women together, that was really cool. You're like, whoa, there's a lot of talent on this stage.
Speaker 2: It was good.
Speaker 1: It was just good to see stars. What'd you think of the Ryan gosling Ken song?
Speaker 4: I thought it was great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I died that. You know what I loved about it? The breaking character that was maybe my favorite part. He starts in the audience. Billie Eilish is barely holding it together. Margot Robbie isn't holding it together.
Speaker 4: She's laughing, and he.
Speaker 3: Was just not taking it too seriously and having fun with it like.
Speaker 4: He knows he's On the one hand, he was playing it.
Speaker 3: As seriously as he should have, like giving it as all, but you could tell he was almost laughing.
Speaker 1: I wish ABC executives hadn't over hyped it. I wish they had just they had really been hanging their hat on this because I think they realized they failed miserably by not giving Barbie its due this year, so they really over I wish they had just said, you know, yes he's performing, or you'll but I was expecting something.
Speaker 4: They were ceasing to it.
Speaker 3: They were teasing it, they kept saying, and next up the performance you've been waiting for Ryan Gosling is ket So.
Speaker 1: ABC I think did a massive injustice to that. But with that said, give Ryan Gosling so much credit to He's not a singer. He's not a singer at all. Did he even sing in La La Land at all?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Well, this was interesting because so okay, he started in The Mickey Mouse Club, right, so he actually sang as.
Speaker 2: A kid, so did I. But we all go through period.
Speaker 3: And then and he said that being Ken kind of brought him back to those days, those like teenage performance days. But he infamously didn't perform when La La Land a couple of years ago was nominated for Best Song he sang in the movie, but he did not sing. I think John Legend sang City of Stars at the Oscars, and it was kind of like, wait, why isn't Gosling singing the song?
Speaker 4: So I sort of loved that he came back and really did sing.
Speaker 2: Okay, So to.
Speaker 1: Do that and to not be in a studio where you know you're going to have mixing and maybe a little help on your voice, this is live in front of millions but also your peers, and he wasn't just singing. He then did this the performance where you know, the cowboy had to start and the whole thing where he was in character. I give him so much credit because that's not just you know, a film performance that is raw live TV. You are, in the words of John Cena, bearing it all. I mean, you're really going for it. So I give him a hell of a lot of credit because he went for it and he nailed it. I thought that was a great performance.
Speaker 3: He was doing an ode to gentlemen prefer blondes, the Marilyn Monroe pink dress scene. I thought that was with all dudes, and yeah, that was a great nod to movies past too.
Speaker 4: I thought it was.
Speaker 1: Great, Not like at the end when he jumped back down in the audience and Greta Gerwig was singing Emma Stone got out.
Speaker 3: I was so smart of him to give a nod to those women and to kind of shake hands with Emma his La La land co star. I think he did. He hit all the right notes of who to nod to. And you know what, everybody, I was seeing people some of like our friends who are reporters, who were in the room that night saying the whole theater was on its feet for that, Like he really speaking of working the crowd, like the Hollywood people were up and singing with him and actually having fun.
Speaker 4: And I think you felt that at home.
Speaker 3: Like if I was gonna nitpick, the only thing I would have done was thrown in a couple more like fun silly cameos of some kind, like he had Slash playing with him at the end, which I didn't see coming and didn't like totally understand, but great, But I kind of would have. I don't know exactly who it would have been. Maybe if you just picked another like I would have liked it. If maybe they cut to the audience and a few more other very like ken like stars like a Chris Emmons or something. Right, they were all there, Yeah, like they'd done like a like maybe they joined in just to like embrace their.
Speaker 4: Tenness or something.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you had a bunch of big like that.
Speaker 4: Could have been funny, but I thought it was great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably Cooper's there.
Speaker 4: It make them all kens.
Speaker 2: Two things I noticed.
Speaker 1: One, it kind of takes you out of it a little bit immediately online and this is the world we live in of social media. You have the behind the scenes right like people are like, this is what John Cena was doing, this is how he got you know.
Speaker 3: Write those same reporters I just mentioned everybody video everybody in.
Speaker 1: The balcony posting behind the scenes videos, which kind of takes you out of a little bit. Don't don't show me how the magician's doing the trick. I wish they would ban that, but you know, that's that's the world we live in where all these reporters are up there, everyone's recording everything. And you know there's reports today that dimm A Stone was you know, out with Florence Pugh at the bar and she missed a bunch of awards and people It's like people are digging at things, and you know today Robert Downey Junior didn't pay ode to who was presenting him the trophy and snubbed him, and it was just stop, stop, Like everybody's there trying to dig for stories and to try and stir stuff up when there's not that. None of those things existed. None of those things are big deals.
Speaker 4: I didn't think people were making the amistone at the bar thing negative. Did you see that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I was written up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've saw several articles written on it today And it's just and it's silly.
Speaker 3: Because there's this video for feeling bad. She's like, oh wait, I'm missing it. I'm like, oh, she was just getting a drink by the way.
Speaker 1: And I've been to this award show. It is very long when you're sitting there. I know Jimmy Kimmel was making fun of it, and he probably shouldn't have, but it is long. And in the middle there is a long stretch of awards that you're just you're not you've never heard of. And so you go out to the bar. And when you go to the bar, you should know, or the bathroom they lock the doors. You cannot come back in. So if Emma Stone is out there and the show starts again, even Emma Stone is locked out. She can't just walk back in and try and make it back to that award. You have to wait for the entire next block to go another commercial break, and then you can go back in, you know, so that happens.
Speaker 3: I don't know if this is going to be controversial to say Hollywood doesn't like it when you start to. But there are a few awards we could lose. This is no shade to these people. Best Animated Short. I don't even know where to see these. These aren't in theaters. No one watching at home, like really knows, like as heard of or even Ken's like, how would you see?
Speaker 4: I mean, you'd have to find it. The Best Animated Short, where do I get that?
Speaker 2: Let's look at the Emmys.
Speaker 4: Are Best Documentary Short. I'll say that too.
Speaker 1: Best even best Documentary, Like here's the thing, here's the thing.
Speaker 4: I love a doction.
Speaker 2: Well here's well, here's the thing, and I do too.
Speaker 1: And but the Oscars, the telecast is to please the masses. Look at what you're trying to do, so stop trying to please industry insiders by having them on your telecast. The Emmys are a good good point of this. There's some great awards that are handed out at the Creative Arts Emmys. The night before they hand out a ton of Emmys. I'm not saying, don't celebrate these people. Don't decorate them and tell them how great they are. Do we need to see it over three and a half hours. You could lose five awards and tighten that thing up and make it a great award show.
Speaker 3: I just think, know your audience and these people can't even find this content, so how would this so.
Speaker 1: Give them oscars. I'm not saying don't celebrate them, just do it the night before. If you guys are so impressed with each other and yourselves, that's fine.
Speaker 3: I mean last night there was a little bit where, like we said, Emily Blent and Ryan Goslin kind of gave a nod to the stunt community, and I thought, you know what, that's an award. I would actually rather see his best stunt oscar. Think about Tom Cruise jumping off the Clibb would have won it right with the motorcycle this year in Mission Impossible, like you know fast, like there's an incredible stunt work and people at home actually see that in movies and theaters.
Speaker 1: Last thing, I wanted a question for you has has something changed in that award season has gotten so arduous and so long, and maybe so much social media or something. A lot of people seem tired last night. Christopher Nolan has been so charismatic and just crushing it all year. When he got up for Oppenheimer, It's not like he was bad, but it wasn't like the guy I've been seeing at the bath and all.
Speaker 2: These other speeches.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: Same thing with Robert Downey Junior. He has been on fire, and I still think he did great last night.
Speaker 2: He was fun, and he was.
Speaker 4: Jus naturally charismatic person.
Speaker 1: Well just he's so easy to like, he's so likable. But I just noticed everybody seemed a little lethargic last night.
Speaker 2: There's a little fatigue.
Speaker 3: I just think, infamously, the Oscars is the end and people are tired. I mean, when I was at et, we would always be like, I hate to say it, because the Oscars is the big one, but we'd be like, it's the hardest carpet to do because you get there and nope, everybody's like, there's no more promoting left for them to be done. The votes are locked in, so they don't really want to do interviews because they're tired, they're burnt out, they're nervous, and like the interview doesn't really get them anything anymore because.
Speaker 4: The campaigning is over, the votes are locked.
Speaker 3: Right, And yeah, they've been doing interviews and making speeches and getting dressed like all for months now and people are tired. Yes, absolutely, Like you've also kind of you know, if you're on a winning streak, like Robert Donney Junior, you've probably made your best jokes, like you're a little what else am I going to say in this speech? So yeah, I think that the fatigue is very real.
Speaker 2: I wish Christopher Nolan had mentioned Barbie.
Speaker 4: You made that point last night. You're so right.
Speaker 1: I just thought he had a moment to say something about Greta Gerwig It, even even if he didn't mention grete for not being nominated. Just Barbenheimer, right, just just mentioned this phenomenon that he was a part of and his movie was a part of.
Speaker 2: And look, I get it.
Speaker 1: It was his moment, so he thinked his people and it was all self indulgent, which I totally understand. He deserved, you know, he earned that, But I just thought, what a great moment to Margot Robbie sitting there, Greta Gerwig sitting there. Obviously, Oppenheimer A rising tide definitely lifted that boat as well.
Speaker 2: Why not in that moment, I.
Speaker 4: Thought you were so right. I thought it was a miss to not like, to not speak to people at home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and as like, like a lot of people pointed out, I mean the turned out the person giving him that award last night because it was the anniversary.
Speaker 4: Of was the list, Yes, Steven Spielberg.
Speaker 3: I mean, let's talk about that moment, Steven Spielberg giving Christopher Nolan his first Best Director Oscar. A lot of people were saying, Wow, this is kind of a passing of the.
Speaker 4: Torch moment in the industry.
Speaker 3: And I thought Christopher Nolan in that moment had an opportunity to say something about, like just to the people at home, like thank you for coming to see this movie, for coming back to the theaters, for having you know, for making this movie a huge box office hit, and like and yeah, and to acknowledge Barbenheimer and like the fun and joy of the movies. He said something like we're one hundred years into this business. Who knows where it'll go from here, But I wanted something like a bit happier and like like positive and hopeful, And I agree it would have been It would have been a cool thing to do because really the gals from Barbie, they were the ones who like, like remember they went and bought tickets to Oppenheimer, like they sort of started the lets support each other thing, and it would have been nice for him to put a button on that.
Speaker 4: In a full circle way.
Speaker 1: Before we wrap this up, any significant misses. You know, everyone goes back in history. It's like, Okay, here's here's missus, here's what IFFs. As I as I look at the categories last night, do you think there were any significant miss I.
Speaker 4: Would have liked Lily Gladstone to have won.
Speaker 3: I mean, like I said, I haven't seen either movie, but I just you know, for a Native American woman to finally win, especially after the Academy's history, Like it was really beautiful to see that song from Killers of the Flower Moon.
Speaker 1: P over All the movie was pretty ignored as far as far as winning last Night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that movie in Maes show really didn't win anything nominations wise.
Speaker 1: Or Bradley Cooper Man, he really tried to give it up in the press and tried to earn and then all he did was get baked by taking his mom to another show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I thought, you know, I thought that was a miss. What about you?
Speaker 1: I liked Oppenheim again. I think the biggest miss was just in Greta Gerwig not being nominated.
Speaker 2: Would she have won?
Speaker 1: I think still, Christopher Nolan, that was such an epic movie and it was so brilliant. You can't argue with Oppenheimer and Christopher Nolan. I just wish Greta Gerwig had gotten that recognition.
Speaker 2: She definitely should have.
Speaker 1: And I think Margot Robbie should have been nominated as well, and you know, should I think Emma Stone is a very popular champion. I think she's a wonderful star to have up and great, you know, I think critically acclaim performance. Yeah, supporting actor, supporting actress.
Speaker 4: Robert Donny Junior, and Davine. Yeah, I mean, I think.
Speaker 1: Maybe the easiest lay up for all of us. We all wanted it, we all needed it, and the Academy actually gave it to us. So, you know what, kudos to the Academy for just giving us what we wanted for once. Yeah, we all wanted to see Robert Donny Junior on stage.
Speaker 4: I think we all right.
Speaker 3: Greta not being nominated was the miss Everybody kind of felt like this was Christopher Nolan getting a bit of a career Oscar moment, and so it was going to be his.
Speaker 1: And Killian Murphy very deserving as well. You could have gone to and you know, a couple of different directions.
Speaker 3: I think some people thought Paul Giamani was going to get the career Oscar for the Holdovers because he got missed in Sideways and his speech would have been great. But no one's complaining about Killian Murphy right. A couple other little wins. I did like seeing them. The writer for American Fiction Coor Jefferson, what a great Hollywood story, Like he was a TV writer. This is like the first feature film he's written.
Speaker 4: And I thought he made such a good point.
Speaker 3: He got up there and said, look, he kind of spoke to the industry and said, you know, just so everybody knows, like the next Corsees he's out there, the next two Ever's out there, instead of making one two hundred million dollar movie because movies have gotten so expensive.
Speaker 4: It is crazy to me, like if you.
Speaker 3: Think about it, I mean anyone, but you got some attention this year because it only costs like twenty million dollars to make, Like movies didn't.
Speaker 4: Used to cost.
Speaker 2: That's normal, that was normal.
Speaker 4: Yes, they're so expensive now.
Speaker 3: And he said, instead of making one two hundred million dollar movie, make ten twenty million dollar movies. And you might be surprised how it goes because this was a little movie that became nominated at the Oscars. And I loved that he said that, and it was such a good point. So that was a nice little moment and I hope people listen to him. And then I also loved like kind of speaking like Ryan Gosling, I'm not taking himself too seriously. The moment where Kate McKinnon and America Frera presented Best Documentary and they just did a silly bit about Kate McKinnon thinking that Jurassic Park movies were documentaries, and then cut to Stephen Spielberg in the audience, and Kate McKinnon made a joke where she said, like, it's go watch it because it's funny, But she ultimately made a joke of wait, but to whom have I been sending my tasteful.
Speaker 4: Nudes and Steve.
Speaker 3: They cut to Stephen Spielberg and he pointed himself, and I just thought, I love this man for like just have fun.
Speaker 4: You know, that's what it's about. The movies are supposed to be about fun.
Speaker 3: Entertainment, yes, connection, yes, statement making, but like a little fun too.
Speaker 1: And I loved the audience was set perfectly. And this is silly, but the director whoever directed last Night, had everybody staged perfectly. You had Scorsese, Spielberg, and Christopher Nolan all lined up. When you took a shot of one, you saw three geniuses, three legends. When you went over to Margot Robbie who was sitting behind, but you know, there was Emily Blunt and there was Ryan Gosling. So up front was Robert Downey Junior, and then you saw Bradley Cooper. They stacked the seat, they stacked the seats well, and they were there and it was maybe it was lit better, but I felt like I saw stars last night when we went to the audience shots, and that was well done.
Speaker 3: It wasn't the Golden globes where you were like, or was it the maybe I remember thinking.
Speaker 4: Actually Lobs was a Disaster of Us story the Globes in the Emmys.
Speaker 3: The Globes was like the tightest they've ever packed that room this year with the tables, no one could walk around them. And then at the Emmys the audience kept being empty, Like I was like, where is everyone? So you're right the Oscars, maybe they took note. They stacked that room. There was never an empty seat and all the stars were together.
Speaker 4: I really thought, yeah, maybe.
Speaker 3: I don't know if they had a new director this year or anew but like just production wise, it was very well done.
Speaker 1: It felt fresh, it felt good. It felt good because we went back to the movies this year and then we celebrated movies we saw, so overall, I give it high marks.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: When the ratings come out today, my guess is they're going to be up ten to twenty percent, as they should be because the movies were up ten to twenty percent.
Speaker 3: Well, and because the Big Barbie and Oppenheimer. I mean truly, I think it's Barbenheimer came to a close at the Oscars last night. I'll see it again. Oppenheimer was the first box office hit in twenty years to win Best Picture. Academy. Take note, if the ratings are up. People want to watch a show about the movies they went to see.
Speaker 2: We in this episode with question, oh, who won the night?
Speaker 4: Who won the night? Oh, I wish you'd prepped me for this. You have an answer going thinking.
Speaker 1: Award season obviously, Oppenheimer at Christopher Nolan. But I'm gonna go bizarrely, I think Ryan Gosling.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I know he's a megastar, but he's just so. He's he's shown another side of himself, and I think he's endeared himself to not only industry, but also to us, the fans and the viewers as a just a real guy and a funny guy that'll poke fun at himself. And I think Ryan Gosling won.
Speaker 4: It was a big career booster moment for him. This this whole thing. Yeah, I mean I don't. By the way, a lot of people were like, where's his wife, Ava Mendez? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Did you see the tweets she sent out immediately it was great about get home and put the kids to bed.
Speaker 4: Well, okay, so did you think it was great?
Speaker 2: Well? I thought it was cute that she said that it was.
Speaker 1: It reminded me of what was the last oh, when Ryan Reynolds was on and Blake Lively, yes, you know, tweeted at him about like, you know, when he was, you know, off doing his thing, and I think I thought that was cute.
Speaker 3: Well, she's getting on a backlash for it because people are like, wow, well, first of all, a lot of people are saying she's trying to do Ryan Reynolds Blake Lively but not succeeding. And then a lot of people are like, well, why weren't you just there.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: They've never been a couple to even though they met on a movie set, they've never been a couple to do red carpets together. I think she's just pulled back, and that's her personal choice. I will admit, maybe selfishly, I would have liked to see her there last night. I don't know how often your partner performs at the Oscars, but it would have I would have gone. I would have all. I mean, I felt like it would have been cool to see her there last night. And I don't know why she wasn't.
Speaker 1: I know, I guess in the industry, I also see this as a work night, and you know, especially for Ryan, like you're not going to be hanging with him. It's not going to be, you know, so I guess I give her a little grace and I know that she's home watching the kids or whatever. So I don't know. Yeah, I could see it both ways, but it didn't bother me. I didn't think, oh, but yeah, thank you. By the way, if I ever perform at the Oscars, you'll be I'll be there, and vice versa.
Speaker 4: So you think Ryan Gosling won the night?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Ryan Gosling wins the night. Even though he didn't win an oscar. No he didn't, but I still think he won the night.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm going to say that Gosh, I think you know, I think movies won the night. I think that for the first time in a while, like I've said, yeah.
Speaker 2: The industry actually won.
Speaker 3: The movies were actually the memorable from the Night before Tonight. The last ten years, I can't really name that many of the Best Picture winners, but I will remember that you're Oppenheimer won and that Barbie was up for a lot, and I'll remember Barbenheimer, and I hope that next year the Oscars do the same.
Speaker 1: With a new host, John Mullane. Maline is hosting Thank you for tuning in and hopefully you watch the oscars and if not, well, I think we just gave you a solid recap. We will talk to you again next time because we have a lot more to talk about.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 1: Hellow us on Instagram at the most dramatic pod ever, and make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars.
Speaker 2: I'll talk to you next time.