Speaker 1: Hey, keep it down. I'm trying to get hypnagogic. It's one more thing I'm strong. And we're talking about the hypnagogic state, Jack, which is of course idaho no, I kid. It's a state of mind, a state of being. I don't know what I'm talking in this voice.
Speaker 2: Say the word again.
Speaker 1: I think it's pronounced hypnagogic or gogic. Okay, hypna and then go og I see what do you think it's Greek? Right, hypnagogic. I don't know anyway. It's the twilight zone between sleep and wakefulness, and there is ample evidence that it's like the most creative space your brain can be in.
Speaker 2: Usually we're talking about usually when you're waking up.
Speaker 1: I guess, well, yeah, yeah, falling asleep, waking up, or in drifting between sleep and wakefulness. They give a couple of exams. Famously, Paul McCartney came up for the entire melody. He woke up with the entire melody for Yesterday in his head, and he I had not realized this. He jumped straight out of bed, sat down at his piano, picked out the melody on the keys, found the chords to go with a melody and created some holding phrases, famously scrambled eggs I think instead of yesterday, because he knew he won three syllables as holding phrases, as songwriters called them.
Speaker 2: It's funny.
Speaker 1: I'd never heard that phrase anyway before. He wrote proper lyrics to fit the melody. But he was so weirded out by it. And I'd never heard this before, he recalled, and I quote Maca himself. For about a month, I went around to people in the music business and asked them whether they had ever heard it before. I thought if no one claimed it after a few weeks, then I could have it. But he was kind of surprised that it sprang from his mind and not memory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I could see how you think I must have heard this somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's funny. This guy either doesn't know where, he doesn't mention it. And he's a British he's like the head of this psychology department at a British university.
Speaker 2: A lecture and he didn't mention that.
Speaker 1: Keith Richards wrote Satisfaction, the Riff and everything when he woke up in the middle of the night. He woke up in the morning to see that his entire tape from his cassette recorder was all the way toward the played end or recorded end, like it had run out of tape, and he's like, what the hell, why was my Why does my tape look like that? He rewound it and listened to it, and he had zero memory of playing.
Speaker 2: That riff in the middle of the night. That song would have never existed if he hadn't decided to record it. I am definitely learned that if you have, you know, those kind of moments, whether you're waking up or any time, man, you got to write them down or they're gone.
Speaker 1: That is one of the points they make Jack here a hundred potent, Right, you've done it. Myself thought, yeah, I'll wake up, I'll remember this because it's so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know your only point isn't about songwriting, But I know most of the great songwriters talk about this idea that like the songs are in the you know, in the universe, and they show themselves and you've got to grab them when you get a chance to grab them, or that's your only option, which is a weird concept.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I was awake in the middle of the night when I wrote Sweet Home, Alabama.
Speaker 2: They stole it from me, those long haired bastards. But hippies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's okay. I know in my heart I wrote it. But anyway, So this hypnogogic state where you're like almost asleep and half awake, they think it uncouples your conscious mind from concerns and you know, worrying through the things you have to do, and just your worries and cares and that sort of thing, and your creative mind is able to just process more openly. They did the study in twenty twenty one where participants in a hypnogogic state were three times more likely to discover the hidden rule that could solve a mathematical problem. Now, I've never participated in that sort of mathematical riddle before, I can't really relate to it. But again, the people in that sleepy headed state were three times more likely to discover the hidden rule have it occur to them. Psychologists associate creativity with qualities such as openness to experience and cognitive flexibility. Others have suggested that creativity arises from coordination between the cognitive control network of the brain, which deals with planning and problem solving, and the default mode network, which is associating with daydreaming and mind wandering.
Speaker 2: I think it. It's got to have something to do with it. These thoughts about math or music or whatever ideas you have aren't being blocked out by the you know, the problems of the moment that you're dealing with all day long, obscuring them. Sure, yeah, before you wake up enough to think, oh god, it's Thursday. That's right, I have a test and I got to pick up my kid and all these different things.
Speaker 1: For a brief period, our mental boundaries are permeable, and there is chance a chance creative insights and ideals will flow through from the subliminal mind. Here's where I get even more militant, just for myself. I'm not talking about you people, just talking about myself and kind of.
Speaker 2: The people I care about, who I will lecture.
Speaker 1: This is why creativity is often associated with relaxation and idleness. When we relax, our conscious minds are usually less active. Often when we are busy or looking at a screen, our minds are full of chattering thoughts, so there is no space for creative insights to flow through. That is why meditation is strongly associated also with creativity. Perhaps more importantly, meditation quiets and softens the conscious minds, so we're more liable to receive inspiration from beyond it.
Speaker 2: That is so interesting.
Speaker 1: I have become an absolute advocate for boredom. Every single day. Make yourself bored. And if I'm standing wow, wow, that is scathing and hilarious, Michael, that is my highest grade for sarcastic hilarity. Every day, if I'm waiting for the doctor to come into the waiting room, I do not look at my phone. I look around at the posters trying to sell me on botox or a new knee or whatever the hell, and I intentionally don't occupy my mind. I'm trying to do that every single day. And you know, you do it if you want, don't do it if you don't want to. But I really I've become a believer that you've got to let your mind unwind. And it takes a minute. Yeah, I mean, you're an advocate for meditation, Jack, and I'm.
Speaker 2: To say, every single day for twenty minutes. Yeah, I rarely miss, and if I do miss, at this point, it's almost intolerable. So I don't know what happened there, But if I miss a day, it is so freaking noticeable. Yeah, So I do it every day, usually right when we get off off the air, I go plug in my Tesla and sit there and I meditate for twenty minutes. I actually do this thing where I write down it's a suggestion from some people. Write down my fears and resentments on a piece of paper, handwritten, then meditate for twenty minutes. And huge part of my life at this point.
Speaker 1: I remember one year of your Christmas present to me was you wrote Joe's an asshole five hundred times in a raw and you put it in a nice frame and he gave it to me. And that was really that was nice.
Speaker 2: That was nice.
Speaker 1: You took the time special Christmas. Yeah, it was a very special Christmas, Michael.
Speaker 2: So I do the kind of meditation where you have a mantra you go back to. That's the only meditation that's ever worked for me. And I've tried every other kind that exists, and I just couldn't do it. But the mantra kind, I can.
Speaker 3: Is it one mantra or do you have? Does it change?
Speaker 2: It's one? They give it to you. You have to keep it secret, Okay, it's the whole thing sounds like a scam. Like I've talked about before, you have to pay to get your mantra, which just sounds scam olicious. All I know is that it's the only meditation that's ever worked, and I it's made my life better, so it was worth it.
Speaker 1: Mine is in a Gotta Da Vada, very old.
Speaker 2: Classic rock reference.
Speaker 1: The other thing I do is when I and this is an ironic thing to say, and I probably shouldn't, but there are a lot of podcasts that I absolutely love. I know I always claim there's just one arse, but usually I try once a day when I'm walking Baxter, just to look at the trees, look at the leaves, look at the sky, look at the grass, just take in the world.
Speaker 2: It calms me. Do you find it or so does a great podcast? Do you find it at all? Hard to do? Sometimes? Yes, yeah, So I have.
Speaker 1: To remind myself this is why you do this, and it's a good idea.
Speaker 2: My example of that I used to I've told this story many times, and this is way before podcasts stuff like that. When my mind was much slower, when I used to do a lot of motorcycle trips and I on the motorcycle. I didn't have any sort of mechanism for listening to music or podcasts or any of it. It was just my own brain. And I've done a lot of Katie. This is years ago. Nineteen ninety eight, I rode to Sturgis, so I rode my Harley all the way out. I went through Kansas when up Sturgis came back in South Kona. I did forty five hundred miles total. That's a lot of miles. And when I would first start out on a trip, it was just painful to be there just with my thoughts, just like, how am I gonna do this all day long? Just staring at the road with my own thoughts. But once I'd get in the groove, I could go for hours easily without effort, and then I would go to sleep. In the next day, do another eight ten hours in the saddle effortlessly, but then like a couple of days of normal life. Next trip, first hour or so, just painful. Getting your mind to slow down to where you can do that is not easy. But once you do, once you get in that zone, you can do it. Farmers probably you know back in the day behind a mule for fifteen hours. Probably easy for him.
Speaker 1: Start thinking, Man, this mule's got a nice ass, so you gotta be careful.
Speaker 2: It cuts both way, and for people who would think that would be you know, there was nothing to do, life was so boring. How many of them needed anxiety medicine or wanted to hang themselves at the end of the day or whatever.
Speaker 1: Very few, Katie's missing The really beautiful point you're making here is my fault.
Speaker 3: It's because I'm a child, all right. That was funny.
Speaker 2: I have never ended a day of alone with my own thoughts, like on those motorcycle trips or camping or whatever, where I'm like anxious in wish I were dead. Yeah, ever, no, well said.
Speaker 4: See, my mom has been recommending meditation to me since I don't even remember how long it's been. But I have a real problem with the whole shutting it down.
Speaker 2: Well that's why, Yeah, I me too. It was I'm surprised because you seem so placid. It was awful until I came across this. You know, I'm not. I don't make any money off of pitching TM as a meditation. They charge you for it. It's weird. You have to bring a fresh fruit, a white piece of cloth, and a flower. I know you're giving me that because that sounds insane, sounds.
Speaker 1: Like it's one of those white elephant gift exchanges for Christmas and they charge you based on how much money you make.
Speaker 2: Wow. Okay, and so I paid over a thousand bucks for this class.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean it sounds like it's doing a lot of good though.
Speaker 2: It's one of the best things I've ever been in my life.
Speaker 1: Okay, Wow, Well, got your money's worth.
Speaker 2: That's what I always tell people. I say, it's got scam written all over it, and the hole you got to keep it secret. To me, It's like, if you care about people like being placid, why didn't you give this away for free? Why are you charging money? But what I've whatever, I'm not worried about that. It just it works for me to bring.
Speaker 3: Is it a whole watermelon or that's what I was thinking.
Speaker 2: I think I brought an apple, a white handkerchief, and then some flowers.
Speaker 1: Final note from this article. Because it's pretty good. We can also use the technique of conscious napping to generate ideas. Whenever the great inventor Thomas Edison was stuck for a solution or new idea. He would allow himself to drift it into unconsciousness while holding a metal ball as he fell asleep. The ball would clatter to the ground and awake him when he would often find that a new insight had emerged.
Speaker 2: Wow, now that's an interesting one.
Speaker 1: I actually heard Michael Savage talk about that once years ago. More generally, we should use idleness as a way of cultivating creativity. Don't think of napping or relaxing as a waste of time. To Jack's point, far from being unproductive, this may lead to the most inspired ideas, an insight of our lives. That's what I'm going to do on our vacation, a whole lot of just thinking.
Speaker 2: That's my plan. And I don't really need inspired creative insights to invent something new or write a melody or whatever. But being you know, happy is a worthwhile goal. Content better word.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you're here.
Speaker 2: I mean I got like, I know the kind of guy you are, similar to the kind of guy I am. If somebody tells tells you, okay, I'll teach you how to meditate, but I need you to bring a clean white piece of cloth, a piece of fruit, and a flower, and I'm going to charge you based on your income. Doesn't that just immediately make you think what?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, yes, it does. Sounds like a cult.
Speaker 2: That's that's what my son calls it, because I've been trying to get him to meditate because he his mind just tortures him. And I'm not going to do your cult voodoo because he knows about the cloth and the fruit.
Speaker 1: I remember there was a great deal of concern about TM in the seventies probably or eighties, early eighties in my church community.
Speaker 2: Which I grew up.
Speaker 1: What were they afraid it was doing taking you in a different direction than Christianity in.
Speaker 2: Short, as a substitute. I could see how that could happen. Yeah, if you're I guess if you're, If you're you know, if you're going to church to be like content and the meditation works, maybe you stop going to church. That could be their concern, I suppose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my recollection was at that point in my life, I was only interested in getting a girlfriend and winning baseball games, so I didn't I wasn't personally very concerned about it.
Speaker 2: And one final pitch is watch any of Jerry Seinfeld's long videos about TM. They're pretty damned interesting. Or Jennifer Aniston, who says she'd she'd rather soft her arm than give up her mantra she does the DMO.
Speaker 1: Okay ah, well, I guess that's it.