Speaker 1: We are going to continue to try to make sense of the economy right now, of the markets in the midst of a lot of chaos, a lot of noise in the media, a lot of noise from naysayers as well as always on this podcast.
Speaker 2: We're just going to try to get you the truth. That's what we do here On the Truth with Lisa Booth. So today we'll have someone on.
Speaker 1: Who I trust, who I turn to for advice, who when I see him on TV I stop to listen. His name is Charles Pain. You know him as the host of Making Money with Charles Pain on Fox Business. But besides that, he doesn't just play a financial expert on TV. He's a veteran in the industry. He started his time on Wall Street in nineteen eighty five. In nineteen eighty one, he started Wall Street Strategy as a stock market research firm. So this is the guy who eats, sleeps, and breathes this stuff for a living.
Speaker 2: He brings a wealth of insight to the table.
Speaker 1: So we're going to dive in to get his take. Dive in on President Trump's tariff strategy, it's impact on the markets and the economy, and what it means for investors in both the short term and the long term. I mean, most importantly, I'm gonna ask him what should you do? What should we all do right now as the markets continue to move and to shake. Plus, we'll explore his journey to television and also his latest book, Unbreakable Investor. I've always wondered how did he jump from Wall Street to television, So we'll dig into all that with my friend and colleague Charles Pain.
Speaker 2: Well, Charles Pain, it's an honor to have you on this show. Obviously, there's a lot of chaos.
Speaker 1: Going on right now, and I always stop and listen to you when you are on TV because you are calm, You're measured, and we need that and we need your wisdom right now. So it's an honor to have you on. I really appreciate you making the time.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Lisa. You know you've always been one of my favorites.
Speaker 1: Well, I feel the same about you, and you're so smart and like you don't I don't think i've ever seen you don't freak out, which is probably why you've been so successful in all this. But also what we need in this current environment, I guess like, Okay, so sort of just big picture. Could you sort of give us some perspective. What do you see right now when you're looking at the markets and you're looking at the economy right now.
Speaker 3: And it's interesting because there are two separate things right now. You know, in Wall Street, there's there's these things that call soft data, mostly surveys, and then things called hard data like corporate earnings reports and things like that. And so what's really amazing to me is this this phenomenon that we're living through right now. We've never seen anything like this. It's the amount of negative news stories that have been put out there. It supersedes nine to eleven, supersedes the global financial crisis, supersedes all kinds of all kinds of really much more serious issues struck global financial issues. And so we've been set up, the market has been set up sort of to be on this nervous perch because Lisa, we have a correction when the market pulls back ten percent on average every year in the last one hundred years, We've had one hundred and five of them something like that. We have corrections when the market pulls back twenty percent almost every four to five years, five to six years in that area. So all this stuff. Typically coming into the year, people would have said, we're kind of due for these pullbacks or corrections, but they have fanned of flames of fear and really, listen, be honest, it's all about anti Trump media agenda. So that's the backdrop. Everyone's nervous, everyone's more afraid than normal, and that means overreactions, and it's been mostly overreactions to soft data. We got the job support came in better than expected. It doesn't matter. The next one is going to be bad. This morning we got Delta Airlines great earning support. Don't worry, they're afraid to give us. Guy, it's going to be bad in the future. So this is what we're dealing with. And unfortunately, when you get these things, they become sort of a snowball, and they can become a boulder salt. Data can become hard data when everyone gets afraid to become self fulfilling. And so yet I freak out over the way this thing has been messaged, but I know it's been deliberate. And what I don't like, Lisa, is that I think people who sell in a panic, particularly taking losses, I think they've been regretted a year from now, three years from now, five years from now, and so I'm really spended by the coverage. Listen, obviously you want to talk about risk anytime someone wants to do what President Trump is talking about, which is sort of up ending a system that's been in place for a while. But while it's been in place, we have our foundation beneath us has been eroding, you know.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing is right, like we're saying, which is why.
Speaker 1: I wanted to have you on the show, and which is why you're so good at this is being able to kind of like look deeper into everything and really you know, to try to get an honest assessment of what's really going on right now.
Speaker 2: And so with all that, you know.
Speaker 1: It's hard for people like me who don't do this for a living of trying to figure out like how bad are things right now? How manufactured is it? You know, and so how how bad You don't give us some perspective, how bad are things are?
Speaker 2: They bad? I know, you kind of got into the soft data and the hard data.
Speaker 3: That's the irony. That's the irony. They're not bad yet, right, So the market is building in a worst case scenario and this is why it's again it's frustrating because sometimes the markets can can create a worst case scenario. Give you an example, coming into the year. For the last couple of years, the top ten percent of Americans have been doing fifty percent of the shopping because most families are in their own personal recessions already. That's why we got the election outcome that we got. But as the market pulls back those top ten people a percentage rather even though they're well off, they're going to pull back their spending and so you may see you know, more recessinary science and future data. Again that's manufactured by the fact that they didn't run out of money, it's just that they're becoming antsy. So this antsiness can create a problem. But if you say, at this very moment, what data can I point to this as the economy is a bad shape. None, I can point to a lot of data that can show that, you know, we were weakening, that people have spent maxed out their credit cards and things like that. But as Americans, we live with maxed out credit cards, right, Some people do that for the entire lives. And that's the frustrating part. That's the guessing part. Unfortunately, the markets are are right now reacting negative, negatively to anything. And there's an old saying on Wall Street selling the gas selling, it's sort of sometimes you sell because the person next to you sold, and then the person next to you was sell. It's it's it's it's the same thing on the upside. But you've seen markets where they just go up and go up and go up, and people chase them because, you know what, they think they're going to keep going up. So this is an irrational emotional period for the market where we don't have all the answers and the default is to sell first, ask questions later, or get answers later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the issue, you know, So okay, so I see what President Trump is trying to do in the long term in bringing manufacturing here to the United States, trying to make us more self reliant, self sufficient.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: But the issue is time on a lot of these things, right like even you know, I mean, you know, this will probably be less complicated than even looking at bilateral free trade agreements, but you know those can average around one point five years to develop through period of time even manufacturing plants getting them running, even if you retrofit. It takes time, you know, so we don't have as much time, especially Republicans looking ahead.
Speaker 2: At the midterms.
Speaker 1: You know, he did promise this golden age in his term, so can can he bake some of these long term changes without sacrificing sort of this this short term, this four year period of golden age?
Speaker 3: You know. I mean, listen, if you were to build the world's most magnificent skyscraper, first should have to dig a big hole for the foundation. You know, it's it's it's I think that what they have to do. And again, this is where it's interesting to study William McKinley's presidency. So I think they just have to get the ball rolling. Uh uh. You know, we don't have to change have change the entire thing overnight. It's sort of unrealistic to think all these factories will be built in the next two to four years. But we can see the permitting, We could see some of the cranes put in place right now. We've been you know, America's worst problem right now is that we can't we don't we can't accept any pain whatsoever. If it's emotional pain, you can you know, go online or get an app. You know, listen to ocean music. If it's physical pain, you could pop a pill or smoke something. We don't. We don't even understand the notion, not even to lose weight anymore. Right, you don't have to go to the gym. A duke crunches. So we don't even understand that issue. And it's really going to hurt us longer term because they're going to be something other things like you know, when it comes to military uh uh and Taiwan eventually having to protect them. You know, I don't think we'll be able to be up to snuff to do it. But so messaging is important for Trump and a Trump administration. And but when people tell me we can't build a factory over nine ID, I know we can't. That's not the point. The point is China. Look up, Look up Google, if you get a chance, new cities in China. They're building cities. They they're completing the tallest bridge in the world. That just the things that're going so magnificent. The only thing that we build that's magnificent right now our football stadiums. We build great football stadiums, right, but those aren't We're not We're not investing in our children's futures. We're not investing in our own futures. Since two thousand and nine, our country made a decided shift. We're going to become in this nation. It's called financialization, and everything was going to be about money, making more money, all these new fangled products from Wall Street. And that's essentially what we've done. We've created four economic classes, the educated elite. The next class are the barista class that served them. We have a service economy all while we got a few blue collar jobs left. And then after that, I call it the play catered poor. They get enough government assistance that they don't rebel against the system. That's unsustainable. What we're talking about, there's unsustainable. That's how great empires in the past have fallen down right in part so I get frustrated. Someone said, we can't build a factory of a night. No, we can't, but we can. We can put a stake in the ground tomorrow. We can do the groundbreaking tomorrow. We can we can sign off on all the regulations. In fact, we need to get rid of all these regulations, these barriers. Right. We can do those sort of things and get the ball rolling. I think if Republicans can show that the ball is rolling, that that's what they need to do. You know, maybe by the midterms. It certainly of the four years, and we'll have some actories built again. We built some hellified football stadiums in less than four years.
Speaker 1: You know, why do you think President Trump is doing this? You know, what do you think is overall objective?
Speaker 3: Is?
Speaker 2: How do you see it?
Speaker 3: Well? I do a special report once a week. I do I write every single day for my clients, but I do one a weekly called Pain's Perspective. It is usually twenty pages long. And this one I featured in a one ad that Trump had taken out in the New York Times in nineteen eighty seven that said, talked about our defensive our defense preparedness, and he said, the only reason we haven't done it as a nation is we don't have the backbone. I mean, think about our conversation already. We immediately talk about how Republicans can get re elected. Well, if that's the only thing our politicians are focused on, will never be prepared because that means politicians have to go to DC and bring back home a bridge to nowhere so they can get re elected. No one has backbone. We can't even go to a two week correction in the stock market without people saying this is the end. So he's been talking about this for decades. For decades, he's on record talking about the unfair treatment of America. But by the way, this is mostly our fault, though we've allowed it to happen. And so I think he's doing it because he sincerely believes that we are extraordinarily vulnerable, and that this perch that we sit on is sitting on really just its thin ice. It feels good, but it probably felt good to Great Britain in the late eighteen hundreds when they of the preeminent nation, and to the Portuguese, and to the Habsburgs, and to Spain and who are whoever else at any given time was the pre eminent nation in the world. But those periods generally last for one hundred years. We're a little bit over one hundred years, so our expiration data is coming up. Unless we do something about it.
Speaker 2: We've got more of Charles pain.
Speaker 1: But first, according to recent study, as many as twenty percent of women who undergo chemical abortions suffer complications, voting a shocking number of deaths did you know that the Biden administration loosened restrictions by not requiring the NH to report injuries caused by this toxic pill.
Speaker 2: The pill continues to bring harm.
Speaker 1: To mothers and babies, and yet accounts for over sixty percent of abortions. Preborn's network of clinics are flooded daily with women seeking help after taking this pill, regretting their decision, and some even come in with their aborted babies remains, not knowing what to do with them. Preborn welcomes these women with open arms and offers them life saving help, including the abortion pill reversal treatment if it's not too late. When you sponsor an ultrasound for a woman in crisis, you're empowering women with real choices. Please join us as we rescue women and babies. One ultrasound is only twenty eight dollars and one d and forty dollars helps to rescue five babies. You won't regret the choice to save a life. Please dial pound two fifty and say the keyword baby. That's pound two fifty baby, or visit preborn dot com slash booth. That's preborn dot com slash booth sponsored by preborn, you know. I mean it's interesting because I think President Trump thrives in chaos and uses chaos as a leverage, you know, of the other side wondering what is he going to do?
Speaker 2: You know, But then.
Speaker 1: Alternatively, in that chaos right now is obviously like setting off the markets and setting off panic. And so you know, I wonder how much laying out just some clear objectives of like here's why we're doing this, this is like what we're gonna get from it would sort of calm nerves and jitters.
Speaker 3: Well, I think he's done that, but you know, he got to be. He's got to be as a It's an interesting thing, you can't you know, a long he mentioned tariffs every campaign stop. He said, I'm gonna go out to China every campaign stop. In fact, everything Trump has done so far he promised he would do. He promised he would do this. Maybe we're shocked that a politician lived up to the promises. Maybe we underestimated what it would mean, but he did promise this. Uh, and so he's doing it, and he's got to make sure that he's not letting the mainstream media in America manipulate him to the point where it weakens his bargaining position. So last Friday last week, rather after we announced the initial the additional tariffs on China, they immediately announced tariffs on US. One smart Wallstree firm said the only reason they did that was to make the markets go down. And then, of course, the next day China issued to communicate saying the markets have spoken. In other words, hey America, look at your markets. They're telling you to back off. America's Americans cannot live for the stock market. It is so dumb for the average person out there to be concerned about the market going up every single day and they don't have any money in a bank. It's ridiculous. We already lived in this sort of new quasi patriotsism of let's keep the GDP higher by staying maxed out in debt delinquency. Don't know how our kids are going to college. But the economy was good, the GDP number was solid. That's not our job, you know. We have We have a responsibility to our families and to ourselves, and we spend too much money, to be quite honest with you, he was particularly jumped from China in the first place. U and so he's got to be careful. You know, he's he's doing the broad stroke stuff. He has other folks like Besant out there. I think I like to see Lutnick and Naviarl sit down. I like Greer. He doesn't speak a lot. I think I don't know if he's bashful or whatever. Besson's been on air a lot, Steven Myron. Those are good people to get out there to sort of articulate this. But again, Trump is negotiating this and he already knows that the media doesn't like him. China knows the media doesn't like him, so he can't be manipulated too much by trying to you know, again, this morning, when Delta Airlines earnings came out, all of fine ancial media, I was like, they're not going there. They're not going give us guidance. They're so afraid. Yeah, but what the news was was that the earnings were phenomenal, that people were taking planes. That was the news. So while people are concerned about the market, they haven't yet stopped traveling. They haven't yet stopped doing things that they normally do. Now they're scared enough, eventually they will and that's the danger. So you know, it's a narrow it's a narrow Trump has a very narrow area where he can, you know, do one or two. His main thing right now is he's got to hold the line. He put out a teriff plan that no one anticipated, myself included, and I just acquitted it last week when it came out. The only thing I could think of was his first term. You might remember this, Lisa, when he dropped Moab and it's the Mother of all bombs. So and that was the most non most lethal, non nuclear bomb in the history of mankind. No president was thought about using it before. He immediately dropped in on Isis and has sent a message. This is sort of an economic mo ad. There's not a lot of room to negotiate. This won't go tip for tet. There won't be a whole lot of meetings. We won't go to Paris and then a month later go to Brussels, then a month later go to Tokyo. And we're not gonna have a bunch of diplomats nodding and shaking their hands in a green to meet again. No, this is it line in the sand. What are you gonna do? The rest of the world.
Speaker 1: I guess the lead part that confuses me is, so I get like reciprocal tariffs. Obviously that sort of speaks for itself. I get bringing manufacturing here, but like, how do you equalize trade deficits?
Speaker 3: Ultimately, I don't think that's the goal, but yeah, what they're saying is that the people have to understand they're official tariffs and there are non tariff barriers. Now. On a recent show, I laid on about twenty non tariff barriers, but Scott Myron, who's part of this negotiating team, said that there are a thousand. We don't know about them. They're tough. You know. Let's say you bring a product into a country. Let's say you bring a product into America. You want to sell in into America, a blender, but New Jersey has a certain law that will stop it from going in whatever that was made of a certain plastic or California. You know, it's so nuanced, is so marbled into these nations ways of stopping us from being able to compete in their countries. They decided the only way they could figure it out is, you know, using trade deficits. Obviously, the bigger nation that a more powerful economic nation probably will have a higher trade deficit. But they also think hidden in there is the only way to sort of figure out just how long spare the system is because no one truly knows. All they know is that they're barriers beyond tariffs that stopped us, and so it's not fair trading, it's not free trading. And that's why we don't sell any beef in Australia, but they sell billions in America. So these things are nuanced. And again it's not a tactic that I necessarily or I wouldn't have thought of it. I'm not sure I would have used it, but they did use it, and they set the bar high. And so this is not a game. The rest of the world understands. This is not a game. You can try to go tip for tet. But there's a reason everyone wants to bring their products here. We have the wealthiest consumers in the world, and if you want to make money, you sell it here. You can't sell it anywhere else. You can't you know, no one's going to buy it, no one can afford it. You can put it in a warehouse. These countries are in bad shape. China economically is and worse shape than Americans think they have been for a long time. They mismanaged the one child policy, they mismanaged COVID, they built a whole bunch of ghost cities. They're in trouble Europe, forget about it. They really just they have blown it. So with the open borders and the high taxes, lack of innovation, you know, they're in trouble. So we're coming from a position of strength, perhaps for the last time that we'll be able to come from a position of strength.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, it's interesting because if anyone was doubting the strength of America in both the global economy and just excess superpower, I think this shows we are the pre eminent superpower. And just like the you know, just this TERRORFF announcement, just the impact it has had on the global economy, I think sort of underscores what a powerhouse we as we are as a country. You had mentioned sort of China's weakness right now, will this bring them to the table or kind of like what would this trade war look like with China? And you know who has the upper hand in this?
Speaker 3: Well, we have the upper hand because we buy a lot of stuff from them. Yeah, you know, I mean they have some of our treasuries they can sell them. But all as you remember, this thing kinda doesn't have any any of our treasuries as a as a goodwill gesture. It's not altruistic. It's altruistic. It's it's the best treasuries to own in the world. So you don't want to if you don't want to, if you don't want those, get them from somebody else. There's a reason they want to buy that. There's a reason they want to own our farmland. There's a reason. And there's a reason they do business with us. We made China wealthy when China entered when Nixon went over there and Nixon and Kissinger, I think the average annual income for the average person in China was one hundred and fifty six bucks. This is the early seventies a person a year when they entered the World Trade Organization. They weren't much better on since then and using rules that favored them that even to this day treat them as an emerging nation, not the number two economy in the world. They've been able to take advantage and it's brilliant on their part. You know, Lisa, what a lot of people don't realize. With China and to a lesser extent with India is that they've always wanted to get even with the West. You know, China was the greatest economy, they were head of the most of the world for a long time. Technologically, they built the wall. They became an isolated insular nation because they wanted to. And so finally the British show up, and this is at the years of European you know, wars and wars and wars, and they say, hey, we want to trade with you. And initially the Emperor is like, what, no, we don't want to do it. But then you know, someone said, why don't we Why don't we trade with him? We could send in the world with these great things that no one else has, silk, jade, all of this beautiful stuff. So they start sending that out to Europe and in return they got silver, and they got so much silver that Europe sort of panicked, and eventually the British introduced this miracle drug to them called opium. So after a few years of getting the opium going in and the silver going out, the British showed back up and say we want you to open more ports. The Emperor says no, The British said we're not asking. The first Opium War, the Emperor calls up the troop. So guess what. Half of them are high on opium. And by the way, they hadn't been in a war in a long time. There's ships are that great technology they had fifty hundred years earlier. Didn't work. It was terrible. They got crushed. Had to open more ports. Same thing happened in another few years. We want more ports now. Second Opium War. China collapses to the point where they finally have what they call the Boxer Revolution. The Boxer Revolution wi all the peasants rise up the Chinese government. The emperor is so weak he has to ask Japan in the west for help. They give them help on economic terms that would make the mafia blush. After that was over, China became destitute, and of course a few years lady have Mao and the story goes on. So they have this long range thinking, this long ranch chip on their shoulders. And we're worried about the market being down for three days in a row. We can't win if we stay like this.
Speaker 1: We've got more in the markets. But first, Israel's still under attack. Missile fire has resumed from the hou Thias, has Bala and hamas enemy seeking Israel's destruction. Here in America, we cannot imagine living under constant threat of terrorism and rocket attacks. This is the reality in Israel. Parents taking their children to school, falling to the ground to lay on top of their small children, trying to comfort them as sirens blair. The next attack against Israel is happening now with little time to prepare, so we must act now. That's why I'm partnering with the International Fellowship of Christians and Jews to help provide life saving aid and security essentials. You're urgently needed. Gift today will help provide security essentials like bomb shelters, flack jackets and bulletproof vests for first responders, armored security vehicles, ambulances, and so much more. Join me in standing with Israel. Call to make your gift at eight eight eight four a eight IFCJ. That's eight eight eight four A eight four three two five, or you can go online at support IFCJ dot org to give. That's one word support IFCJ dot org. I mean, Charles, you don't just play. I mean you're not playing a financial expert on TV. I mean you started your career on Wall Street in nineteen eighty five, nineteen ninety one, you started Wall Street strategies. I mean, you live, sleep, and breathe this stuff for a living. What are you telling cions right now?
Speaker 2: Like what I mean? People are turning to people like you and saying, what do we do?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: So what's your advice?
Speaker 3: So let me tell you what's interesting? So you're right. I've been doing this for almost forty years, and in two thousand, the crash of two thousand was devastating. We were we were hanging by a threat for three years. I was so bad off that we had worked from home before anyone else even knew what it was because I couldn't afford an office. So we barely survived that. Then came the crash in two thousand and eight, two thousand and seven, two thousand and eight. This time clients didn't flee. They just held on. They said, Okay, we'll stay with you, We'll see what happens. Then came the COVID crash. You know what happened In the COVID crash, people were calling me, I want to buy, I want to buy. So over the last twenty five years, investors have learned that, you know, maybe you don't panic anyse sort of situations. So I'm asking them to do what they've been doing, not to panic. And you know, I was lucky in some ways, you know, I sold in video, we had I had them take profits on Nvidia near the top, volunteering near the top, Apple near the top. But we still have a lot of other positions that are that are down at this very moment. But we've been through this together for a long time and the majority of them want to know, just tell them when it's time to buy. So they're not panicking. But they read the scene newspapers, they hear the same stuff, and so the airwaves are filled with this doom and gloom stuff that it's hard to ignore unless you understand the history of the market.
Speaker 1: What's sort of like safe long term investments for people right now? If they're like, look, I kind of want to get involved right now, it's a good time to get in.
Speaker 2: What's what's smart?
Speaker 3: I mean I hesitate to use the word safe because any sad you can fit it any time. Bus I you know, here's a good rule of thumb. If a company's been in business for about one hundred years, more than likely they'll be in business for another one hundred years. It always, it always baffles me when people are afraid to buy a stock in a company that I say, you think they'll be around when you die? Who's going to die first? You Google? I mean you were metal. Who's gonna perish first? Uh? You know? Uh So I think the worst mistake, obviously is not being in the market is it's the greatest money create creating a machine creation machine in history, and you just never know what's going to be stuper duper hot. In the last five years, one of the hottest stocks that's been Brinker. You know what Brinker is is the parent company of Chili's. Have you gone to Chili's recently? Stock going up twelve five years? So, you know, I listen. I like exposure to rockets. I like for people have exposure to the Fourth Industrial Revolution. And by the same token, you know, home Depot is going to be here, Yeah, Walmart will be here. So you just have a mix of names in your portfolio, names that you know would be here forever, and then maybe a couple that you take a shot on that could be huge. You know, as we go into humanoid robots, as we go into more rockets, ships, more drones, So you want to have exposure to that kind of sexy stuff that sizzles but is volatile, and then basic stuff that's just going to be their payon a solid dibdend and go up. You know, every time I look at these solid names, they they don't gallop, but they get from point A to point B all the time, which is higher. And during the time that you own them, you still make You still make money through dividends. You get yourself a balanced portfolio like that you sleep at night.
Speaker 1: How'd you get into TV? So you know you started on Wall Street? How'd you find your way over to Fox News and Fox Business?
Speaker 3: So that's an interesting that's a good story, good question. As a kid, I lived on a army basis. My father was in the Army. One day I came home from school. My parents are separated. My mother's set were leaving, so we left this beautiful two story house in Fort Lee, Virginia. It was just an idyllic, wonderful place to live, a way to grow up. And we all moved me, my mom, and my two younger brothers to Harlem, which was the worst neighborhood in America at the time, and all lived in a room, and up to that particular moment I never thought about but there we were completely broke, destitute, all four of us living in a room. A few months later we got an apartment, but that first winter we had no heat or hot water. I was the oldest, So I just took it upon myself to help my mom and I did everything. I had, every kind of hustle you can imagine, from cleaning windows of stoplights with paper towns and windebts to a job at a bodega. And so I'm thinking, I need to make money, and I think we all equate Wall Street with money. So I started reading the journal, or trying to read it. It took me a few months to figure it out. It was tough back then. It was nothing but lines and numbers, and so I told my mom, I don't want to work on Wall Street. And so I just studied anything I could get. I bought my first mutual fund when I was seventeen. She had to co sign. I joined the Air Force, and in the Air Force, I bought my first stock, and by the way, it was a stock called MCI and the day who ran a company was Bill McGowan I think was his name. He was this hard charging, hard living kind of guy. Smoked like seven packs of cigarettes, drank thirty cups of coffee a day, and he was taking on the world's biggest company at and T I was I've always been drawn to Mavericks, right, people go against these David and Goliath stories. And the stock did well and I got out. I started working at Iff Hutton on the research side, which was no money, but I learned a lot, and then that became a broker, and as a broker, I had my own epiphany that the industry wasn't what I thought it was. I thought, you know, you go home, you find these great stocks for your clients, but it really didn't work that way. So I started my own research firm. So that's how I got into business. And then at some point early on I don't know how, but Wall Street the CNBC heard about me somehow, so they called me up and said, hey, can you come on. I came on. I started going on there and I met Neil Neil Kabuto, Yeah yeah, and so Neil goes over eventually leaves CNBC and he goes to this thing called Fox. At the time, I thought he was nuts. Yeah, at the time, the mark it was sizzling every time you go in a bar or restaurant. It was CBC. I'm like, what is this things? This Fox thing he's done, you know. And then they finally called me up. Neil wants you to come on his box. I'm like, oh boy, all right, and I come in. You know, I take the escalator down to the basement. I think that was the first studio down in the basement. I'm pretty sure that the table we were using had three legs. I think I was holding up my own with my knee. Yeah, the lighting was bad, and I'm looking at Neil the whole time, like, my man, you blew it. Of course he had not blown it. And eventually they asked if I would become a contributor, and then eventually I ended up with my own show. I love that.
Speaker 2: Also, I feel like Neil help me get my start as well.
Speaker 1: So I feel like I started doing Your Rold was one of the first shows I started doing at Fox. Because you know how it goes, It's like one show sees you and then the next book, like you just said, you know, you started going on there and then they're like, oh, you know so, and then it kind of has that snowball effect.
Speaker 2: I love that story. I didn't I didn't know all that. I love that.
Speaker 1: I feel your book right now and Breakable Investor is probably a good book for people to go pick up right now, give it given the current environment and right it's.
Speaker 3: Probably the ship book to pick up. And if you have it, it's a good time to read it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what sort of insight before we go? What sort of insight can people get from it?
Speaker 1: Which I'm sure is very applicable to where we are currently and this environment.
Speaker 3: So it's my third book. And by the way, it's free if you go to Unbreakable Investor dot com. People just paid for shopping, shipping, and handling. Here's the first chapter. Lisa is dedicated to my grandparents who bought a farm in nineteen fifty two in Alabama and against all odds, and even now I get chilled and choked up thinking about what they had to sacrifice for that and the risk that they took on being a black family with a farm in nineteen fifty two in Alabama. And then the time the night writers will come whatever and they raise their family there. They never had indoor plumbing or electricity, but they raised their family there. They owned it, they had their own crops. And the main reason I mentioned that is I feel like we all have a responsibility to step up the foundation for future generations. So it's not about getting rich, but it's about creating a firm foundation and lifting it just a little bit more for the future generation so that their life they can chase their life's goals. And then in there, I've got chapters on the Federal Reserve, i have chapters on the Fourth Industrial Revolution. I have examples of how people confine stocks by things around them. For instance, when you go to buy food and you know, you have the screen pop up and they say you want to put you know, the tip and all that stuff. Yeah, people don't ever ask, well, one of they're publicly traded. Because I use this every day when I eat food, those kind of things. I teach people how to find these ideas on their own. Here's the great news. Every chapter I give you a test at the end of each chapter. I want to make sure you're learning. And that's why people peep the book. I'm telling you people love it.
Speaker 2: I love that Charles, I really appreciate you making the time.
Speaker 1: You're a busy man. Everyone go check out Charles on Fox Business. Making Money with Charles Pain. I really appreciate your insight. I just I really wanted to have you on because, you know, again, I feel like you just do such a good job of sort of like cutting through the noise of everything, and there's so much noise right now, and so just kind of like getting the heart of things, and so I feel like this was super helpful and also just interesting to learn more about your life story and kind of how you got started at Fox as well as just a friend of a colleague.
Speaker 2: So I really appreciate you making the time.
Speaker 3: Charles absolutely absolutely, Thank you so much. Lisa. I'm glad you thalled that.
Speaker 1: Was Charles Pain from Fox Business and Fox News. We appreciate him making the time to join the show. Appreciate you guys at home for listening every Tuesday and Thursday, but you can listen throughout the week until next time.