Speaker 1: Man, Man, grab the ball, man, cause today Man, we having a great, great conversation with one of my favorite favorite people in the world, Man, Zach Randolph. Man, one of the more tougher guards that I had to guard. Man, he's gonna slide through. We're gonna catch up with him and then chop it up. Man. Check this out. What a boy that's up here.
Speaker 2: Man, I'm like, we know he had to do it. Joy, how you doing man, Bro, it's chilling lock Man, Man, kids, keep me busy. Darkshit freshman in Louisville.
Speaker 1: That's this year now, that's who already went down there.
Speaker 2: So she got her now, Man, it's it's nice.
Speaker 1: Man, show you what's ow So what you just saw kitchen just where we shoot at in here, and then this right here is a whole bathrooms, theater right here, it's office right here. And then when we do traditional podcast we can do them in here. It's a green room. And then this is for half styles to get here and stuff in here. But check this outro. Just won't we be at bro just you know, staying out of the way, you know what I'm saying, man, grinding, staying in it, just you know, making ship for doucing Ship. You know what I'm saying, that's one you know what I mean, just being out for one.
Speaker 2: We got going yeah yeah yeah. Actually, you know I want to pick your brand, telling Mike to.
Speaker 1: So Ship, let's chop man. I thank you for coming in here.
Speaker 2: And you're in music too, yeah, so you.
Speaker 1: Know, we don't want to be having problems with probably be having problems with having getting music that's in projects. It's very hard, you know what I'm saying, Like trying to you know, the licensed.
Speaker 2: Music and get in in TVs and movies.
Speaker 1: That's super hard. So guys, yeah, y'all good man, thanks for coming through. Bro, real if you want to keep you guys talking about this, ain't no rules in here with you feel what I'm saying. I'm glad you came through straight up. Man, come on, you want to come through? I said, hell yeah, man. How retirement being for you?
Speaker 2: Man? Man? It been good, bro, been real good. My kids keeping me busy man, and you know with that just business and everything. But my daughter's freshman Louisville playing ball.
Speaker 1: Congratulations.
Speaker 2: My son he played baseball in Baltimore, So that guy, Yeah, my daughter she a freshman son. He ten. So man the kids.
Speaker 1: Man, what's up? Man? Man, honey, I'm doing a recruiting ship too. Now, I got a sixty year old volleyball. Yeah, six ' four jump out the gym. Yeah. Different.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, Like like Jo daughter, she she a beast.
Speaker 1: Man Asian, Yeah yeah, be Yeah. I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't even now that we all are, you know, kind of seeing everybody kids or like young adults now and stuff. Did you play any other sports in high school or any other half any love like you had that for basketball?
Speaker 2: Man, I had, you know, I tried to like football, probably like my sophomore year. Man, so long, Bro, that ship was not for me at all. Man. I got out there, I got smacked. Man football over Yeah, Man, I got here so hard, but I'm ready to get down. I ain't come back the next day. Man, surd a so bad ticket, I said, man'mna stick with that ball straight up.
Speaker 1: Hold on you ship. I'm a sophomore in high school, okay, fifteen long, lanky, skinny though, And that was it one time. You know what I tell everybody, Bro, you fooled everybody because you was a lot more athletic than you put on it people. I was say, z bo can't jump up a pizza. I'm like, shit, is z boy two here in your mother for me? Like this sh smoothie dog first.
Speaker 2: Off, as the motherfucker too head butten.
Speaker 1: Listen, a lot of people don't know this, bro, So first off, I wanted to give you flowers. Bro, you was one of the very few people that I got on this list of five to maybe four guys that the interaction was a chess match. I knew exactly what I was getting when I played against you. We always had a bunch of respect for each other. But I also knew in between those lines what it was. Man. I was telling all the guys that when we found out we was gonna do the interview, I was like, man, this is probably one of the hardest guards in league history. I came in with, you know, as being young playing against an older Charles Barkley, a older Carl Malone and that league. You know what I'm saying, Larry Johnson, you know what I'm saying when means to put you in the basket in a world where we are finess. So when you know I ended up having to end up having a finesse in my game and not just so much back down. You kept it though. One of my questions to you, Bro, is why you didn't switch up to finesse when everybody's finessing. You just kept you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And just I knew getting my bread and butter at tea, so I knew a lot of guys, like you said, they they really want to the game was changing, you know what I mean, Like you said, shit, I'm gonna throw that motherfuck down there. I'm gonna get it easy too, you know, hook shot or a face up. But like during her my later years, I feel like I started changing a little bit, popping more, facing up more, and you know, doing things like that. But like you said, man, just sticking to my bread and butter, bro because it couldn't stop it.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, shit, why no doubt it was And you know what, it was effective and you were effective. I want to ask you what was some of your early influences, Like who influenced I never never heard of people who influenced you to play ball. Who was your early influences when you hoo man, just man, the guys in the neighborhood at the Park. You know from Indiana, so you know, walking watching Rick Smith, you know, even watching you coming up.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean. He was one of them guys, you know, motivating me to keep playing. Rashid Wilesce, guys like that, and you know, just been from Indiana. Man, hot being of basketball. You know, everybody got a goal in Indiana. You could, I'm talking about it in the country. It's a goal on you know, on the barn. So you know it just hoop, just bread and us and uh, I just love playing man.
Speaker 1: All the guys that I came out of Indiana, Jeff t Jeff Tige, the Tige brothers. Uh, what's what's my dog?
Speaker 2: I said?
Speaker 1: Uh, trash dog, trashar oh, Eric Gordon, Yeah, Gordon Man, Gordon Man, I Man, I gotta I gotta get some big respects to Gordon Man. Just that move was trash.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. Not you, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's a lot of basketball players come out of Indiana. Tell us about the players coming out of Indiana then being right next door to Illinois and Ohio. What was that like?
Speaker 2: Come man, we was man going at it, Like you said, coming up, early with the ill Illinois Warriors balling against Dee Miles. But uh nah, I mean Indiana. We got hoopers, man, we got a lot of hoopers, and Indiana got a lot of history, been having a lot of history. We didn't had Oscar Robertson from you know, uh, all the guys like this, so man, they just paving the way. And man, you got Gordon Haywood, got a lot of guys. Man, the plumb the Plumbly Brothers, Plumble's. I think they're from Indiana. Yeah, Desmond shout of my boys. Man.
Speaker 1: I saw the list and I was like, dangn it's like that Seattle list. Like you don't know how many guys came out of Seattle.
Speaker 2: Sattle got hoopers, telling that all the time. Seattle got plenty hoopers right up like Indiana, I mean Sean Kemp and listen, Larry bird Man, we keep going, Man, I tell the guys. You know, I used to battle with all of my teammates about the hot bed. Hey man, Indiana, Man, we're right there here. California, y'all got a lot of hoopers, but y'all twice the biggest of the state facts. So we were talking about the people like.
Speaker 1: Man, yeah you're talking about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Man, put some money on Indiana. Man, y'all get y'all Indiana, We get the Indiana team, get a California team, you get Illinois, South Carolina. However, y'all want to do it, Man, we can do it. No, yeah, you know what.
Speaker 1: That's all right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh so so man, listen, Man, I watched the doc. Man, I love your doc. The doc showed so much growth and development with you, Bro showed so much different like obviously the Portland you and then you get to go through this journey and did you get to Memphis. One of the things I loved about you going to Michigan State was I felt like that fit. When I see when you got introduced to the world, we got to see how you played. I felt like Michigan State and you fit. Now. I think a double a that fit. I think it just programs fit a certain to feel me And I really believe that tell us about some of the before we talk about the Memphis States, talk about some of the that fit with Michigan State, and did you see it the same way?
Speaker 2: Man? I did, Like you said, just to fit, like some players fit with different schools better than others. That's why you have some players to transfer, some players to stay. And Mischigan State was that for me, just coming how it was coach Coach Izzo. He was hard on you. I got the young Coach Izzo where he grabbed, grabbing your jersey, speaking in your face like like you can't the type of shit he did then, you can't do it now. So it's different. But like that hard culture where we had war drills where we had to work pads, you know what I mean. So you know that back in the day. Ship So just I'm glad I went there because he taught me a lot of discipline. He taught me. Even though I was there for a short period of time, I still learned so much from him and we're still we're still close to this day.
Speaker 1: What's up man? You know a lot of those kids needed that though, from being honest. Some of that is where we came from to and being not just raised hard, but coached hard, taking direction uncles. You know what I'm saying. No Grandma's you know, we from that old country from me so so I know a lot of respect that come through Indiana too, you know what I'm talking about. I say that to say because the Michigan state to me, mirrored with Memphis actually presented. Uh it seemed like you was when I when I played you in New York and I played you with the Clippers, I played you in Portland, I felt like I was playing a different Zach Froone. When I played you in in in Memphis, he was facing up man, your seals was crazy? You in Mark's fucking Morton Street was I was so fucking jealous of that. Like, man, this guy I came here, walked up with the white boy. You know, you just sit fat assou shit front row. You know Mark used to be a little fat kid. You just shut your fat at shoot off. But I thought they were Spaniards. They couldn't understand English. Nigga understood everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, and he talking ship talking right right.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, I say that to say that it was just perfect. I ain't you know, I ain't hating on nor none of that, but to be in the Jersey washing, I was like, man, I was happy for you, bro. Talk about how you thought Memphis and well we'll just talk about Memphis.
Speaker 2: And that and how that you know on so crazy ticket, the ships so crazy because you know, I had just got traded to the Clippers.
Speaker 1: I know I saw you in uh u c l A. But I love that moment. Bro shot sat right there for a little bit. But I was like, damn, boy, you in that la now you and you was in Memphis. Bro, you didn't even get a chance to get out here good.
Speaker 2: And that was so crazy because at the time, I'm getting it to the Clippers. So I'm like, okay, I get it a guy here. Half season, you know we ain't win me bd, Jason Marcus. We played good, we had a good squad, we built deandres he young. So I'm like, okay, cool. So we get the draft. They get the number one pick. I'm like, damn, Blake Griffin.
Speaker 1: Damn.
Speaker 2: I'm like, man, I'm gone, you knew it. I knew it because even though he the best player in college basketball, you got a kid just coming out of dumbinate, jumping over cars, just you know, a baby shock. So I'm like, you know what, they got the number one pick. I'm like, damn, they probably they're gonna they're gonna end up drafting Blake at the pick.
Speaker 1: And then half then they said to you did they did they let me. So, you know, so it left something right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hell yeah. So it's like okay, damn. So I'm like, man, so I go to Memphis.
Speaker 1: What year is that? That's sixteen? What's that to me? To me, is that is that the San Antonio year?
Speaker 2: No, that's no, that's the year because I went to Memphis day. Bro, you was m VP to me.
Speaker 1: Your room was like everybody not had their room, you know how everybody's Dirk All not had the room when you go through. But you had a fucking room, bro, for.
Speaker 2: Your They're getting traded that motherfucker. I'm like, I'm like, really was frustrated. I'm like, damn, I just got to l A was in New York for a season. I'm like, man, what the hell going on? So I'm like, you know what, man, this I took it and I approached it right man. And it was guy's playing how I fitted Bruh. It's like a like a puzzle, like a nigga just boom from the people in the city, from the organization showing me love can relate to me. I come in with Mark Mike Conley. These guys are coming.
Speaker 1: Into their own small town small people are really really like Southern Hospital Band.
Speaker 2: Come on, man, perfect man. Blue collar folks. Man, they blue collar. These folks is blue collar and I'm a blue collar player. So, Bro, that shit was God. So I was thankful just coming in to love I got then, not only that we win it going to the playoffs. First year I got there, we proved ten to fifteen games. So you know, I said, Man, it was god. It all worked out. So that was my best moment of my career during that time in Memphis. In Memphis and it's still mifish.
Speaker 1: One of the questions everybody always asks me, Bro, do I go back to Many? Do I go back to Boston When you got a life and you got kids. It's kind of hard to get back and actually be that influence. You won't, but Bro, you t A and Big Mark actually built the grind factor. Bro, y'all that is y'alls for y'alls to go on the tombstone and for y'alls to go to the grave with talk about the responsibility. When you go back and you speak to Junior, you speak to who's also from Michigan State. You know what I'm saying. When you talk to the bigs, I know, Big eating this guy there, the rookies and stuff. How important is is spreading that h that message and just you know what it means to be part of that whole thing now.
Speaker 2: Man, them guys like you said, them guys Jared and Big Edie John, them guys just taking on their grit and grind and only that they accept it, you know what I mean. You know they're like, oh yeah, we we grinders too. Like they ain't on no soft ship. They like they want it. And that's what I like about the young fellas. Their their talent level is it's right there. They they're superstars in the league, Jaron, Joe bang, and they're building a great winning team and this year with job back, hey man, yeah, take your glasses all man, you see the thing coming, you know is so like, uh we gonna see but man, yeah, that Memphis was It was the best ever for me.
Speaker 1: Bro I really what was it like to get your jersey?
Speaker 2: Man? What it was like to give my jersey? Retired man coming from a small city Indiana, man, country boy, man, mother on welfare. Man wasn't expected to lead the hood, been expected to make it out. Man, It's a blessing man to come in there and see my name in the NBA jersey. Bro every time I go into Phoenix form, I ain't gonnaly lie Bro. I damned the shed a tear. You know what I mean? Cause come on, man, you thinking man, won't nobody everything. There'll be a ze Bo jersey hanging up in the NBA arenal shit. But I did cause when I was in the hood, I was telling the older homes I was I'm going to the league. I already knew what I was doing. My sophomore year, bruh, I was telling people that the neighborhood, all the old homes at the park, I'm going to league.
Speaker 1: You already knew it.
Speaker 2: I already knew it. We're going to lead. And they be like, yeah, we feel you like they ain't knocking. They like it's niggas young and confident. But you know what I mean, That's why I teach my kids. You gotta have that confident, especially when you're on that floor. Y'all had it comfort and you ain't they you do it life fact.
Speaker 1: You gotta see it before anybody else can see it.
Speaker 2: It's real.
Speaker 1: Imagine coming in here telling your high school coach, hey, look, we ain't going to college. We're going to high school. We're gonna straight to the lead. And what flicked at me? Like what, let me get your ass out of here. Hey, man, write this down. I said it the second time and it was in my face. He knew it was real. So I totally understand you. When you you gotta believe first, or ain't nobody gonna believe it?
Speaker 2: Say he telling me that your freshman year.
Speaker 1: Man, No, I win took it. Uh, you know how, you gotta go take the sat, Go take the sat. I come out the motherfucker and I'm just pissed, like, you know, just a bad feeling about it. So I was just in the run. I had to get up Heller early to get it, so I was already up. So I get to the house. My man comes through, like Joe how. I go like, man, I fuck that shit. I don't just negative. He's like, man, let's go hoop, so go hoo. When I go, who Scotty pipping? And there Jordan in there. So we watched George Ordan, let me play whatever. So after we play, whole bunch of other shit goes on ship. After we get done, Zeke and I see I see Zeke in the leather. He got like dinosaurs on the jacket. It looked like an average you know how a race got the column.
Speaker 2: So he in the corner with his legs. You can't even you just see his legs. But he like this in the jacket.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he just see me and Scottie Pippen got to like a rumble, you know what I'm saying. Car has the street ning in there and all this other shit going on. This ship going on. So zeke in the corner. I see the feet. I'm like, see what's up? Louid like, oh shit. They set me there for two hours. He told me shit that only z no. You know what I'm saying, Zac a river man. I left that. I went to my I went to my coach. Damnit like this, hey man from the door man, I'm just sit down, tall man. I just talked to this what we're doing, get out of here? Woof turned around start watch TV. I don't know if I hit him. I don't know how I grabbed him, but I grabbed him to turn him back around. Hey man, write this down. And he saw my face. Do you know what I mean? They're working out putting on the suit with the picket. So when you say you gotta believe it, that's real ship, Honey. I'm a music fan when it came to getting ready for games. You know what I'm saying. Music was a big part of how I got how I got ready, part of my big you know, preparing. I hit at you in the music business. Now, congratulations that man. I'm a huge I'm a huge money back fan, you know what I'm saying. Man, Yeah, Man, Yeah, y'all doing it. Man, talk about that a little bit. How did you get into the music business?
Speaker 2: Man? Just being down there, being involved in the city, bro, just being being that person in the city. Like you know, I'm a type of guy like I'm gonna I'm gonna come and shake your head. I'm gonna go to the roughest neighborhood and see the kids. I'm gonna go where the players don't want to go, you feel me. So that's the difference about me, Like, and uh, the city see that. You know, real guys see that. And you know, bag had the talent, man, and before you know he signed, we was he was throwing parties and filling out the whole city coming out. I'm like, man, let's work together. We worked together. He wanted to work. We did this thing, man, and here it go, you know what I mean, God with Gotti and uh wow, man, you know shot this thing out of here.
Speaker 1: Man doing it, Bro, That's how you supposed to be too, because everybody needs support to you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And Memphis so got so much talent. Bro. We got a roster fuller, you know, great talent, you know, from from Big thirty, from Big Homie g you know a lot of the guys d Moulah. So we got a lot of talent of becoming talent man, and Memphis.
Speaker 1: Full of it. Man. A lot of good music come out of you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Come on.
Speaker 1: Ja, yeah all that man, Man, that's classic music to me and you. I'm a country boy from South Carolina and I got to Chicago and they was really fucking with a ball I'm talking about you know, pump and Chetties, thirty balls, all that. You know what I'm talking about. You think because Memphis was you think Memphis reminded you of some of the origins of home, damn right, just being a small town in you know, small town's a hospital they speaking, you know, go you know, you don't come off. You don't walk inbouy the neighborhood, not wave and say what's up? You said, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: You know I still say yes, ma'am. No, yes, sir, yes, sir.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: You know, the people get you know, people get offended by that. You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: That's a respect thing. That's all respect. Though, you know what I'm saying, a lot of people don't know that. That's respect. You say yes, ma'am, no, ma'am.
Speaker 2: You know, some people get mad. I still say it to this day. I still open the door for people. That's the way I was raised. You know, I had him. I ain't had no daddy, so I had a mama, So I might want playing that, you know what I mean. So yeah, man, So that's why you said seeing that that Semiler, you know, seeing that similarities where you're coming up from. That's why Memphis. You know what I mean. I still work for the team and do stuff for the grids. It's still busy in the organization and giving back to the people of the city.
Speaker 1: Would you ever get in an ownership Yeah, hell yeah, I think they should. You know what I'm saying. I think if you spent enough time with a team, you should at least have the option. You know what I'm saying, you should have the action to be able to come in at a at at and not at a higher evaluation either, because you've actually helped build this whole thing. You know what I'm saying. I think you should have some understanding because I've seen what you did in the community with helping people with bills and helping people just get through everyday life. Man, that you know, when we used to have to do the community stuff, that's really what the community was. Now. It's crazy that you spoke about going into a place where the players didn't want to go. And some of the rougher neighborhoods, some of the rougher neighborhoods are kind of the gems of the city in Minneapolis. Man, when I would go over north of Minneapolis and South Minneapolis, or over the East Saint Paul where it was, you know, East Saint Paul, it's like South Side of Chicago. It's all gds. But I would go over there and do school stuff, and man, the guys just want to send.
Speaker 2: Him talk shake your hands, the guys.
Speaker 1: And I never understood, while we never did more. So I used to actually say, you know what, I want my schools to be these schools because I know that these schools was getting left out. So you know, I give Upstairs credit for what they got right, but what what I'm speaking on is what I know. So I used to have to make them come over here and do stuff on the south side, do something on the north you know what I'm saying, Like all them schools we talking about broad schools that got money. I say this to say that that script is needed in every every franchise, every sports franchise, because as you make so much money, man, man, you forget about you know what I'm talking about. So them programs. Man, if you was going to put a program in Memphis, what kind of programs you put in Memphis for young kids to thrive?
Speaker 2: You know what I will put And we actually we're working towards there, cause you know, we got some things coming up. Like I was telling you earlier, me and ta stop the violence. I want to put games together, get these kids able to go talk to some of these jobs and some of these owners around the city in the summertime. Get some of these fifteen sixteen year olds job. Let's hit up something like a job corps. They ain't gotta be a lot where we can get a job and make some money, have different options and different avenues. Instead of the youngsters getting out of getting out of school every summer and I ain't got nothing to do, Let's get these kids something to do. You know, Let's just give them some options to do something. Either just work a job or we throw a camp. Every summer. We have a couple camps where they can get some money in they pocket where they ain't got to rob or they ain't got to stand on the corner with the dope sack and you know, hustling. So giving these kids some different opportunities to have something to do in the summertime.
Speaker 1: Some new waves scripts, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's some shit we working on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bro, I would love to be able to do something like that, which you would add on. You know, we're a production team in here, and I know a lot of us to start to get into production, starting to get into film, movie TVs, docs and all that. I think the next wave of kids need to understand how to work computers and cold and make aps. Talk about how to actually create their own. I'm I'm when you talk me, when you shot at me the the Ta I dial. I want to actually build onto that, and we're gonna do that. But we're gonna move it. We're gonna we're gonna actually do it in some cities. We're gonna identify that because you know what, it can't just be like a weekend either. There's got to be something that lasts to where the kid, you know, because you know when the festival come in, we go to the festival, well mondays and it's gone to the next city, right, there's not the city. Man, two weeks later, we never forgot about, you know what I'm saying. So it needs to be something that's that's consistent. You know what I'm saying. I'm only saying that to say to go into I just knew you just did your doc man talk about what that experience was like. Was it crazy going back?
Speaker 2: It was good man, just going back for that from a retirement Jersey because they had I did it all. Part of it was just all the love that the city showed me.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 2: It's just like, man, you know, I'm I'm gonna get a house there. You know, I just sold my house well, I'm in the process of getting another house there because that's how much I love the city. Man. And the documentary just showed the you know, where I come from, where I come from, my career, where I started, Portland, my my my trials and triplations where you know, I was a youngster. You know, I'm riding down MLK nineteen with my first truck. I got all the TVs on smoking. We It's like I'm like on Friday, when they rolled the window down, the smoke come out. But you know, just you know, young nigga, not knowing coming from where you come from. So just learning and you know, just talking about that type of shit coming from I come from Portland, where coming to Memphis now where the whole city is loved, you know, the whole tried state, all the you know, the areas. So it's just showing where my growth at and the things I've been to. Man, where I come from. The kid in North Carolina state birds Big DJ. Yeah what beach Man.
Speaker 1: When I first when I first saw him do anything, the first thing I was like, I thought that was your son. I was like, Zach, know man, somebody came there. It was like yeah, says yourself. Son. Okay, I looked up. Okay, you do you know what I'm saying. So I know kids out help me.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, big as hell.
Speaker 1: But I was, bro, that is man.
Speaker 2: You shure ain't your something? Bro? He I might need to get that. I might just get a swaven. She was going on.
Speaker 1: Man, Bro, he looked just like you, play like z bo and it's effective in today's game. You know they say that your style slow the game. Damn nah No. I like the kid too, man, your thoughts on I like it.
Speaker 2: I like his touch too. He got a touch.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: You know it's so crazy. We got his partner that he deal with it. I know his man, Ricky from Chicago Wall So I talked them. We talked on the phone and everything on a three way call. And I've been checking on him, man, you know, telling me looking good because man, his body doesn't transfer transformed. His body. The kid looked good, Bro, you ain't seen it look good? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Where?
Speaker 2: Yeah? He working out? He I think he's working out back home or down there in Florida. I think I think he might be in Miami working slim, looking gooding somebody's camp. Yeah, he's but he gonna get somebody campt he's too nice. And I got my boy Kenny he in Chicago, Loten he in Chicago. But Burns he got a chance. But you know, the game changed, so I got told him. I talked to DJ. Man, just focus on your bodies, focus on getting the best shape you can. You got the skills, you know what I mean, because like you said, the game has changed. They don't want all that shit.
Speaker 1: That's over, you know, so you know, yeah, yeah, picking and popping, yeah, popping in his feet. You know what I'm saying. What's your thoughts on today's game when you watch it?
Speaker 2: I love the game, you know. I love where the game. I love where the skills at because yeah, because the ship they doing now, if they was doing that with us, he ain't got no guys taking no step back triple threes. You know. So the game has changed. You ain't You got Wemby. He's setting foot bro, going between your legs like.
Speaker 1: He come on, bro, and Winby is scary. I look at Weinby and I'm like, man, do he even know where he can?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Can you imagine if he invested in like a chem? Elijah won tape or if he actually went and seek out Timmy Duncan and actually got some of that knowledge.
Speaker 2: It's scary about him. Scary, it's scary. I gotta go watch him play man. He excited, He exciting it. Yeah, so he he wanted them wait till he's simplified. He stopped doing all this dribbling, start hitting you off the glass and just jabbing you. Yah, what made you simplify?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: At what point did you start simplifying your game?
Speaker 2: Man? As I probably, like, like, you know, probably as I got older, because I was seeing the game change, you know, because even with mephis like they brought me off the bitch probably I think, you know, Fears brought my bitch because he wanted to play smaller.
Speaker 1: So I see how it was progressing.
Speaker 2: I see how things was going when you know, towards the end of my career, you know what I mean, how they want to open, you know, play fast. Everybody want to adopt to how go to state play, you know what I mean, everybody's seen that wave, how they came in, so everybody kind of wanted the teams want to play that way. But yeah, I definitely seen it coming changes towards the end my career, you know what I mean, really shooting more. That's why I got to shooting more threes, doing more face ups, and you know, simplifying the game.
Speaker 1: I shild made you much more hard to guard, because then I came in thinking I was just gonna have to bare hug and it's gonna be this ball fight and then you win. You like, I was like, did you banking it off the glass? Then you got the little slow ass jab.
Speaker 2: Listen, then you can hold the motherfucker. You know your hands, just men, you hold me the whole time, you doing what you want to do to me. I'm like, rep Man, look at it. So let's say, man.
Speaker 1: So now that we're in here, I'm gonna tell you the secret. It's all y'all out here watching this. So I learned very early that if you do something in the first quarter and you do it in the fourth quarter, that's called consistency. Yeah. So when I learned this the first out. You probably remember this the first time I played, when we was in Portland and you had a really good game, I think twenty and like fifteen something. I think he was coming off the bench or something. Next time, I came up there, you were starting, it was your team whatever, whatever, right you were first to hit, so you know, I ain't never played you, so first to hit, it was like, oh shit, you know what I'm saying. You had a crazy touch, but it was first to hit. You and Mellow probably to me are the most aggressive office of players that I've ever played. That was just just as I've been aggressive on defense whatever. So from first to hit, that's where I got that from. Like you was hit me first. You were selling me, getting in ones into whatever, and I was like, damn. So next time I played you, I made sure to hit first and then work after that. But then I started I started like talking to some events and they was like, man, listen, whatever you do in the first cause you got to doing the second and third day of that. I was like, huh, so if you bore a nigga to that bore him in the second day, they might not. And I was like, I was said why because they saw you do it in the first And I was like, and then they can't call every five, so I was like, holy shit.
Speaker 2: So did that ship too. We listen, cause man, I listened.
Speaker 1: But listen, you can't do everything with everybody. You understand, I know I knew you. You know what I'm saying, I already know about I'm hearing you first, but then I'm fronting you. I'm making him throw it over the top of me, and we wrestling it, guess, and they letting us wrestle. So I'm like, oh, they're letting us wrestle, okay, so I can get away. So I'm grabbing you. He's like, hey man, I.
Speaker 2: Can't move, So that's what you got.
Speaker 1: So what I did in the first I knew I was gonna get a cow on one and two, right, But I knew if I did it. Second, knew he wanted to go play. Second, third, fourth, we're gonna have a rest, right. But when we get in here, this is what I'm doing. And that's why they You're like, damn, you're gonna call the five, and he'll be like, okay, he ain't holding you almost even with that, so and then I'm on and then I'm off. I didn't hold you for the whole ten seconds.
Speaker 2: And that's why when I knew we played, y'all, I knew to get my motherfucker rest, broh, because I knew it's gonna be a night. It's gonna be an the battle with you. Man, so to the greatest ever do it. Give your flowers too, bro, cause I learned a lot from you, seeing how you come coming up coming out of high school, just you know, seeing D Miles. You know that was my boy watching YouTube. So we kind of looked up to you too, and you paid away for us, thinking cause I was gonna come out of high school for you. You know, I know D Miles was coming out. We were the same class. D mind like, Bro, I'm gone, I just want McDonald's MVP Kentucky Derby, MVP USA game. Everything I played in I dominated. Folks would tell you that. De Mouse tell you that. So he like, man, you min will come on out. I was in the room with you know the Posting Twins. You remember the two Twins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: It was in the hood in Indiana at my mama house. She like, son, I was like, mam, what you want me to do? She like, baby, I want you to go to school for one more year. Like I told the post to him, I'm like, man, I'm gonna go to school.
Speaker 1: Just what we're doing.
Speaker 2: That was the best thing ever could have happened because you know, I ain't saying that I could have went to the league. You know, ain't comfort none. So it's like, you know, I could have win any kind of way. So Lord and misgan state getting that year, discipline, learning things from coaching from you know that school, and you know, being a professional. That took me a long way, Bron.
Speaker 1: They grew you, Yeah that man. Listen, Bro, you know what in all of this, nobody talks about the growth of you, how you developing to who you are today. Bro, you had to go through the Portland stuff to get to a situation like Memphis and really feel like, man, feel what I'm saying. So everybody's journey is different, Bro, and how you get this, how you got to get there? But you know, like in anything, man, I felt like at the times we played, Bro, they were trying to weed out a certain type of player. And if you ain't have no, go in you. And if you ain't have no this is my dream. I'm finna chasing and I'm just I'm gonna bite down and get this. You was out in two three years. Think about all the real niggas thisan, Bro, I know, do nobody like that team but Bro, one of my favorite teams is the Portland team.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 1: That was one of man and y'all. It's hard to be bro. You couldn't come in here with all that big fellow. What's up? Big fella talking about big fellas like he wasn't knowing nothing. Man, you know what I'm saying?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Lord, I love you, Bro, I love y'all.
Speaker 1: Bro, real ship. I say this all the time.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 1: I know that wasn't commercially fun for the league, but I don't know what that was like, but it seemed like it was fun. It was a bunch of real guys and stuff. Trent played in Portland earlier on Trent.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know Trent real one real yeah man playing in Portland. Brother that was coming into Portland. Ticket Man, them guys brought me in. But you know, I'm awesome, Like I am there. I learned Ship every day, so I'm like a sponge. I'm like what I need to do, Damon, I need to do sit like the like man, go home. Man, I'm like ship, all right, I'm going home. But they you know, I'm like on that wave like you know, I'm like learning this. I'm growing, you know, like you said, so man just doing that being there. I learned so much from them guys. Man she man just another guy just watching the way he played like y'all. You know that, y'all game was kind of hybrid before you know the post. He was already doing you and she facing up shooting threes and picking and popping like ship like that. So just Portland's good man. I learned a lot in Portland. Man up man some great years, man, great years. You got old schools, got some Yeah, I gotta dunk Donk, you gotta show you a picture of it, nineteen seventy one. That motherfucker almost done.
Speaker 1: Where you get it from?
Speaker 2: Uh, they built it. They building it and I build it. You just built them that fuck ready to.
Speaker 1: You know who do that? Tim Duncan, Yeah, Dunk got dunk that lives in the garage, Yo, shout the TV doing it. Got dreads and ship being there doing that.
Speaker 2: Ship I heard he got a shot, got a crazy reach.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah yeah. Ric Gross got the dunk stand in the open, locking down in Miami.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bross got some ship too.
Speaker 1: He got some ship ship. Yeah. When you doing this call show.
Speaker 2: N I got me to do that, bro. That's that's what I want to put together a zebra cardion Memphis.
Speaker 1: All them dumb shout.
Speaker 2: They still about those out there. Yeah, they ryan coloring sturdy balls. They ryan all kind of ship out there, trunk rowling and ships. I'm too facing my speakers for it. I don't know that myself's forward wonder years and sh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, y'all was gonna put up in some electrical ship. You know what I'm saying. I just knew y'all had adapted to electrical and gray A and all this other ship. Let me hear your first. Let me and your top top rappers brot you no order and they are Okay, you can throw luth in there if you want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you know I got my I got my R and B list to listen.
Speaker 1: I got says music whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah see, I listened to a lot of uh Bobby wol Mac, you know, Tim.
Speaker 1: Ta something, the same thing.
Speaker 2: You know, my old school, Especially when I'm riding in my old schools all listen to nothing but old school. I love it supposed to be. But man, I got I gotta go with whole biggie future. Okay future, little Wayne Wheezy, gotta put Wheezy in there.
Speaker 1: Who makes the fifth? Who who's five on the list? Do you go, rapper?
Speaker 2: Do you go? R and B? I got a whole different arm mixed, mixed the R and B.
Speaker 1: Just getting ready for the game. You got got you.
Speaker 2: I ain't even know that ain't this was I just yes, man. You know, a lot is a lot. You know I got You know, I gotta put it there, man, I gotta put t I in there, Gotta put tip in there, you know. I you know, I fuck with tip and I come off of that tip too, So I gotta put a tip in my top five.
Speaker 1: You forget about that young head too, But that young tip, that ship raised right.
Speaker 2: That ship niggas forgetting my tip though, has a tip.
Speaker 1: That's a lot.
Speaker 2: Of Yeah, it's a lot of great artists out there too. It's a lot of music raises too.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I'm saying. You know that top five. But that's a tough boy.
Speaker 1: But yeah, man, I thought she was gonna be on some do it dial. I thought she was gonna go h. I didn't know how he was gonna go. I thought he's gonna go twist. I know you're gonna go shot down. You know you're gonna go Freddy, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's a lot of a lot of a lot of news, a lot of good music out there, man, a lot of music.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I'm saying. Your boy he killing it though, money back man, man, Bro, he won them one.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 1: I ain't really shocked that on on on on like his run either.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I feel like Memphis teed up to have more come out of it, right what.
Speaker 2: They got so much talent, brou and you know we you know, we got the regulabel down there, so we's constantly looking for talent, endless entertainment, constantly trying to you know, keep building this brand and man, building this good music and making this good music.
Speaker 1: What's the city need down there? What myths need?
Speaker 2: Some opportunities, you know, opportunities, you know, more jobs at least role models people, you know, you know, guys to get into community and tell them, you know, this is not the dude, Yeah, you know, not all that other bullshit, you know, just straight positive shit, you know what I mean. Cause it's been so much negativity, so much trauma, so much loss. It's only one way, you know, and it ain't no hope you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think you know.
Speaker 2: That's the fucked up thing about it. You know, seeing the youngsters ten and nine with no hope out of school carrying pistols and you know, got the dope sack on them. Young ays ain't even going to school. They take your ass to school. Bruh, get off the block. So you know.
Speaker 1: So I learned the long time ago that when you invest, you invest with things are down or when they on the lower side of the of the curve.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: And one of the things I see out here in La man Or, I see in the West Coast that they'll set up a bunch of shops for you to learn to work the camera, how to edit. They got a tennis shoe joint where you can get the air Force one you can make your own shoe. I'm just I'm just watching how other cities do it. Activate their kids and keep their kids in a box, or not in a box, but just locked in on something, whether it's sports, whether it's recreation, where it's the instrument, where it's music, whatever it is. Man, I really want to get like when we see in chop Bro, I really want to talk about bringing those operatives to where your kids can actually go to go here every weekend and make a new make a new Nike, make a new Puma, make a new Adidas, you know what I'm saying. Or make their own shit. And that's what starts out the idea of creativity. Imagine who you saw in your neighborhood that put it in the basket to make you go get the ball and start dribbling that that that it's almost like a it's almost like, I don't want to call it duty, but it is as someone who has created something in Minneapolis, as someone who has created something in Memphis, has someone that has something a background in Indiana and where we come from and all this. You know, I know we're doing a bunch, but I really feel like it be doing would be our responsibility to go back and give new script because we can't.
Speaker 2: Like you said, like like you said, they like I said, who I've seen putting the ball in hoop? So you got somebody come to the city and bring a different element and showing these young kids this and that's gonna keep them locked in. That's what I'm like you said, not just something just for now, something man, consistent.
Speaker 1: You know, I mean kids on their phone. Everybody on the phone. So let's just say we got ten kids eight nine on them on the phone. Bro, So imagine if I showed them how to not only tree apps, if I showed you how to code and put stuff on here, take stuff off. If I showed you how to make an app. If I showed you, you know, to shoes, you y'all, y'all just jumped the train and took But if I showed you how to actually make your own shoes, you ain't even have to. I'm just I'm just talking about a different scriptures though. The kids bro into these little ass cities that ain't none of that in there to where you got to have high budget and government to be able to go to the marror of the governor, to be able to accept, sidize and get this. This is what we gotta do, Bro, We gotta go sit with the governor.
Speaker 2: Get him on.
Speaker 1: Hey, look all that bridgey'all. Bring here for transportation, y'all for the roads? No, no, no, no, come over here, give me this right here. Let me go over here, Bill the z BO Center and I'm gonna have this in that center. And then every Monday, every Saturday, every whatever, whatever you feel the bro, that's the move. If we ain't doing that, bro, the scripts are too traditional. Carrying a gun.
Speaker 2: You ain't going to school.
Speaker 1: You got the dope pack, bro.
Speaker 2: You dumb as hell. Bro.
Speaker 1: They got drones now. They kept telling you, Bob, I have run up on you right now. You straight crash our mission. So I'm just on something crash. I got to give you another imagination. If you listen to the music and the music made you do that, Okay, let me give you something else to give you another script. That's all I'm saying. That's all I'm saying. So I'm on that.
Speaker 2: Till we get together and shopping for real. Because man, anything about helping his youth, I'm with it, man, like TA going back to the Chicago throwing they doing basketball games, stop the violence, like that type of ship Like, I'm all with that.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: I know you with that. You've been doing that too, So bring the ship together.
Speaker 1: I'm with it. Bro. What is what's next for you? Man? Like? What do you want to conquer next?
Speaker 2: Man? Man, you know I got some shit going me in, TA got some shit going got to start our little show coming up, called out the mud Man. You know what I mean, Man out the mud Man coming soon. You did me and Toyalli man killing. Yeah, so you know just that ship. I work for the team, doing shit in the community and doing shit for the team. So just business man, Just trying to get out there and learn more, man, and just keep it moving, you know what I mean. Showing the good guys like you and learn. You know you guys paving the way in this media thing. You you know, Matt Stack, Jack, all the guys. You know, all these guys are doing a great job.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: It's motivating.
Speaker 1: That's what's up. Man. Well, I love your goal, man, and I love how you how you a visionary keeping up with everything you're doing. Man. If you know, if you think I can ever help anything you you with whatever you're doing, you let me know him right here, bro rooting for your daughter. You know what I'm saying. Uh Now, I gotta watch your son say if you can hit his mama, y'all's hand bends heat for your low eyes. Get over there here, you know what I'm saying. But yeah, Man, shout to the kids and everything you're doing. Bro, anything you think I can.
Speaker 2: Help you with you, bro Man, you hollers love man's love. You know what it is, Honey, I already know Jack Man Man seventy five year ago, you're doing today,