Speaker 1: A new screen protector that claims to block radiation emitted by your phone.
Speaker 2: What's going on. I'm Rich Demiro.
Speaker 1: This is Rich on tech with me is Joe Jaconi, general manager and co founder of tech Armor. This is an accessory company that makes all kinds of stuff, including screen protectors and cables and batteries for smartphones.
Speaker 2: Joe, thanks so much for joining me. Thanks rach I appreciate you having me here.
Speaker 1: All right, Before we get into your new product called Enhance, which is a screen protector with some radiation shielding built in, let's talk about tech Armor in general.
Speaker 3: Tell me about the company, great well. Tech Armour is a mubbile accessory company. We protect all kinds of devices, from your iPhone to your Samsung Android phones, any tablet across the board. We do screen protection, cables, cleaning kits, a wide variety of accessories to protect and enhance your phone.
Speaker 2: And your first product was what a screen protector, basically it was.
Speaker 3: It was a screen protector back when the Galaxy S three launched. So this is back in twenty twelve.
Speaker 2: Wait, we started with a non iPhone screen protector, we did.
Speaker 3: That's what our lead product was and that's why we launched, you know, not only on tech armor dot com, but on Amazon.
Speaker 2: I did not realize that. I always thought you were iPhone first.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what was the difference between your screen protector and everyone else.
Speaker 2: Is at that point?
Speaker 3: Well, at that point, the big thing we did was we looked at the product and we said, there's a lot of you know, let's just say, lesser quality stuff out there, and we really focused on making something that was super high quality and backed it by great customer service. So we were one of the first companies that went out and said, hey, we're going to offer a lifetime replacement warranty even if it's your fault and not ours. If you mess up the installation, if you scratch it, you break it, we'll still replace.
Speaker 2: It and do a lot of people take advantage of that.
Speaker 3: They do, you know, and there's people that you know, again are very legitimate. There's some abuse out there, but again it's a cost of doing business. We want the customer to come back to tech Armor.
Speaker 1: So tell me about the new product. This is called Enhance, and it's a screen protector. Looks like you're typical screen protector, but it has some technology inside that does.
Speaker 3: What so it does definitely do more than just your average screen protector. Okay, so we look at this as a product that's going to enhance, you know, the use of your phone and also protected at the same time. It's got all the great qualities of a tech Armora ballistic glass screen protector, protect you from your chips, your drops and scratches, enhance your retail value over time. But what this one does, and this is due to some you know, anti radiation blue light filtering products that you know, we had originally launched several years ago. We're looking at the threat of radiation from your phone is something real. You know, there's been studies that have been done that talk about the potential damage to your brain and especially you know, a child when they've got a thinner skull than the damage that could be caused by that cell phone. And what this does is it gets in between the phone and you, so it's on the screen protector. You can still use your phone, and it redirects the radiation back through the phone and it actually enhances the signal that's going out, so it'll actually improve your signal strength when you're trying to make that call.
Speaker 1: So if you think about your phone and the signals coming you know, from all directions from the inside radiating out. If you think about the screen protector on your screen, it's kind of bouncing it back through the phone and the other angles that are basically not going through your face.
Speaker 3: Correct, You're absolutely right. It's almost like if you took a normal situation, you'd have like a basketball of you know, radiation coming out from the phone, and now you're cutting that in half, so you've got half that sphere that's attached to the back of your phone, so that signal strength is still going out, but it's not hitting your face or your head.
Speaker 1: Now, I've had this on my phone for a couple of weeks now, and I will say I haven't noticed any degradation of quality, if not enhanced quality and battery life, which you say, it's tough for the average person to measure that, including myself, because I'm not sitting there recording every single time I've used my phone or what my signal was like. But I can say it was easy to apply and it's nice and clear and to me kind of I don't know if it's working per se, but I like the idea that you guys have done your research and you're telling me it's working, and.
Speaker 2: So I kind of like having it on there. Sure.
Speaker 3: And to answer that question, this is a commercial technology that's been proven and used in cell phone towers and the antennas that are being used in that commercial space that's been modified with the same technology down to a consumer product, which is what we have here, right And this is something that we partnered with a company called Venti Group who's got a long proven track record in the antenna space to take their clear technology which is what they call it, adapt it to our screen protector, and deliver something that's a patent pending technology that we believe in. And you know, again, we don't know what all those effects may be over time, just like we didn't know what a microwave oven might do over time. When they were first sold, there was no shielding on them whatsoever. I don't think anyone would want one in their house without shielding today. So we think that maybe this is something that's a little for forward thinking, but it's not going to hurt you. It's going to definitely provide some level of protection.
Speaker 1: So if you're looking at the screen protector, you might think, well, it looks like a screen door or something because.
Speaker 2: It has this embedded technology. That's not the case.
Speaker 1: It literally looks just as clear as any screen protector that you'd put on your phone. And I like the theft that these screen protectors have because they are real glass.
Speaker 3: Yes, it is real tempered glass. You know, it will protect your phone from again those abrasions, scratches, drops, and it is one hundred percent transparent. The way the technology works, it uses carbon nanotubes and it does a reflecting of this radiation because it's tuned for those particular bands. And you know, that's what's kind of exciting about it. Most of the radiation products that are out there today are something that you'd have to cover the phone so you wouldn't be able to look at the face of the phone while you're making that call, And with ours, you can.
Speaker 2: And what's the price point on the tech Armor Enhance.
Speaker 3: The tech Armor enhance will be twenty nine to ninety nine, which again is more expensive than your standard tech armorabilistic glass, but less expensive than most glass screen protectors you'll see in retail.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in retail, you're looking at fifty bucks for a typical screen protector that doesn't have this technology built in. You guys in the past have been you know, for your standard ones under twenty dollars, right.
Speaker 2: That is correct.
Speaker 3: I mean again, we deliver our products direct to the consumer, so our business model has always been to take that product and deliver a value that can't be matched by retail.
Speaker 1: Do you think that some consumers are going to have to take a leap of faith on this to trust what you guys have done here and really accept that.
Speaker 2: I think they will.
Speaker 3: You know, I think that over time, anecdotal tests that we've done with our test marketing prior to the launch of the product has shown that there has been improvement and call quality and battery life improvement up to forty percent. So you know, again, everybody's going to have different results depending on how charge their phone is, what apps they have opened, where they are. But you know, we believe in the We believe in you know, the technology that again is patent pending. That you know gives us some belief and faith. And you know, again with tech Armor products, if you're not happy with it, we're happy to take it back.
Speaker 1: Why do you think we're not hearing about radiation so much when it comes to smartphones. I mean, I know there used to be like a sar rating that you kind of saw like in the in the paperwork, and maybe they still have that. And for a point there's like a tiny little micro second where we heard about that.
Speaker 2: Now you don't really hear about that as much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I think it goes in waves. You know, we hear a lot about blue light. You know, all of a sudden you'll see something published by you know, New England Journal of Medicine or something like that, and then we will sell out of all of our blue Light products that week. So this is something again that we look at it and we know it's a real issue and we're trying to address it.
Speaker 1: And tell me about tech Armor. What's your what's your kind of history? How did you come about starting tech Armor?
Speaker 3: So tech Armer started it was, you know, me and my business partner Eric really had the idea that we could bring retail quality product to market in a much cheaper fashion for the consumer. We went out and said we're going to create again a high quality product with unmatched customer service and deliver it through channels like tech armor, dot Com, Amazon, eBay, New Egg and others. That are going to allow us to deliver in a much more efficient way. We can get to the consumer same day shipping, and that consumer can save a lot of money.
Speaker 2: All right, there you have it. Tech Armor Enhance.
Speaker 1: This is a new screen protector for your phone that enhances your battery life, your signal strength, and has some anti radiation properties. Real quick, before we go, what's the secret to a good application of the screen protector? Because I know in the past we all had those bubbles. I watched you put one on a couple of minutes ago.
Speaker 2: No bubbles.
Speaker 3: But tell me the trick, the biggest trick first and foremost, is to make sure the screen is clean. Most of those bubbles that you see are little bits of dust or hair and things that you simply can't avoid. Right, that's going to be in your pocket before you put that screen protector on. So in the kit that comes with the tech Armor product, there is a wipe and there's a polishing cloth.
Speaker 2: Just get it really, really clean.
Speaker 3: And if you're you know, if you have any concerns or questions, go to techommer dot com and watch the video how to install. You can see what my hands look like, but you'll see that and you'll get it right and if you have any trouble, contact us, we'll replace it.
Speaker 2: We'll get you protected. All right. There you have it.
Speaker 1: Tech Armor Enhance on sale now. It is thirty dollars. And where do you find them.
Speaker 3: You can find it on tech armor dot com. You can find it on Amazon and major e commerce players.
Speaker 1: All right, there, you have it. Thanks so much for listening. If you want more information, you can go to my website. It is Rich on tech dot tv Comrich Dmiro. I'll talk to you real soon