Speaker 1: We've got a big episode for you guys. Mets just wrapped up a series with the Phillies. You're gonna get about ten minutes fifteen minutes of talking about actual baseball, and then the rest of this podcast is gonna be talking about Carls Mendoza's firing. The media. We're media marveling media. It's just it's a overarching media, media marvel little bit of Eric Schavez podcast. We're gonna do a live episode of that for you guys tomorrow, So if you want to see that, we're gonna literally live watch and give our thoughts and opinions live as we see it. We'll talk about some of the clips that we've seen. David Sturtz, I mean, some way, somehow, this Mets world is a mess, and I'm gonna tell you something crazy, James. I'm so back into watching the Mets now because now that it's like such a circus in the craziest way possible, and we are, what it seems like, committed to selling and rebuilding. Now it's fun season. Now. I'm just watching for twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Seven, fantastic season. I was glued to the game on Sunday. You and I were at good friend's wedding on Saturday. Congratulations to Alex and Debb talking about stub how much more we were, how excited we were to do this podcast tonight just because of how much stuff happened. Can't you believe how much stuff has happened in the twenty six hours since we even had that conversation. But it's so much and crazy that Sunday was a baseball game where there is a lot to talk about. Their game was tons of stories. We got great pitching performances from Zach Thornton and Christian Scott on Well, I guess great. It's a stretch for Scott and Saurday, but for very great performance both in Friday and Saturday. But it was the baseball was fun and everything else. Right now, I'm so addicted to all the toxic sludge I can't stop.
Speaker 1: Yeah again, we will be doing a full episode pressing to the space bar to play with our faces next to Eric Schovis and whoever the hell his host is. We're gonna live react to that for a video for you guys on Tuesday, so make sure you are subscribed to bet Stuff for that audio. I don't know how it's gonna do, but just just stick around. You'll be able to hear it.
Speaker 2: I guess we'll be able to hear erk Schovis the whole thing and us reacting to it. I got halfway through watching it tonight and I was a quite a second. We should do this live, We should let everyone hear our reactions. But it's insane. Again, let's rip the baseball stuff off firs. Let's do it Sunday, a classic infuriating Mets game from this season, whereas you had literally not a math guy, one billion chances to score off of Jesus Lazardo and the Philly bullpen, and you couldn't come through in any way, shape or form. You had a horrific inning from Tobias Myers. You had one horrible pitch from code I Sango, who lo Is Thera by a full run today, which is crazy because five in two runs. Great, great move by saying it touched one hundred miles an hour, but just that fat pitch to Kyle Schwarber, and then again it was fourteen left on base. I'll get the exact numbers right now, but I think it was two for twelve with runs to scoring position. It was if there wasn't so much extracurriculars happening with this Mets team. You'd be like, this was just another loss, exactly two for sixteen runs of scoring position, fourteen guys left on base. It was the fourth inning when you had Bishett and Wagonman. Then it was the fifth inning when Lazarela was running on fumes again with the righties coming up. It was so annoying not to be able to punch through against lazarre though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was insane because he did not have good stuff at all. He had zero control. He was it felt like on the back seat, like every single time Mets had so many runners on. We had some really good at bats too, like Brett Baty's been future, but he walked three times in this game. He had some great at bats in this one. He had some bad at bats in this one.
Speaker 3: Really bad one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one really bad one. I mean, this is what's gonna happen with this Mets team. Again. We are fully committed to this team's gonna stink the rest of the season. So it's not even something that I can get mad about. I'm trying to look at this roster and look at the performances and honestly, just put each player in a vacuum and see what we get. And there are some encouraging things, there's some discouraging things, and like Ryan Marisio's play really discouraging. That's not something that's really seeming like it's gonna get any better anytime soon.
Speaker 2: And he had maybe one of.
Speaker 1: The worst at bats we've seen in a very long time.
Speaker 2: Oh very bad. I'll walk you guys through that one right now. That was the eighth inning when the Mets put together a rally. The start off with the nice, tough Luise Terrentz walk off, Ryan Kirkering bench flies out, and then you can kind of feel the way that Ryan Kirkering and the Phillies were very aware that they just couldn't pitch to want Sola Bobachette yep, walk them both very much avoiding them. Bashett took four pitches out of his own, just missed a hangar, and he took four pitches out of his own after that, then you have one out and the bass is loaded with Ronni Marizio and Franciscoualverrez up and Ryni Marisio after Ryan Kirkering hedro throwing eight consecutive balls, nine consecutive balls to start that at bat, he throws a high fastball and Ryan just pops it up and it probably would have been called a strike. But in that situation, is still saying Ryan, Mriss, young player, you have to take a strike. Bass is loaded, one run game. You are not exactly a prolific baseball. You have to And then franciscau Aalverz comes up next, and after he takes a first pitch ball, then he takes then he takes a strike, then he whiffs. It takes two Mammot swings the balls in the zone where a single wins the game a home run. You feel great, but like it was a very classic situation where Frintis guiver Is still is not playing to the scoreboard.
Speaker 1: No, he's trying to do way too much. And the Mets young players in general are just trying to do too much. Even Ronnie Marisio. It's like they don't have an ab swing. And that's something that we've talked a lot about with guys that are the best hitters in the league, that are successful constantly. Yes, we want power out of Jan Soto, we want home runs. We wanted to put the ball in the air, do all those things. But Wansto very much has an AB swing, and you even saw it against was a Kyle back Is. I think he got his hit single to right field. Those were B swings. It's a tough at bat for him, a lefty side armed submarine guy who throws from behind your back. He just bloops one into right field. A nice little piece of hitting on his B swing. These other Mets hitters, part of the reason we haven't seen them take a step forward is because yes, Alphorism Maurice, who have the crazy pop, the power, we know all about it. But they have no ability to not take that swing.
Speaker 2: It seems like and again somehow, well that really infuriated me. There was also the situation where Brett Batty and this became a big talking point, but with two outs and two runners on second and third in the seventh he got again. This is after Mariso and Alfarez struck out to begin this inning off of Jose Alvarado. Brett Baty gets the play appearance against Jose Alvarado and everyone SMI kept panting to Francisco Lindor in the dugout. It was very obviously wasn't available. The plan Francisco Lindor has come up and play two out of three day. Of course that's the plan. If they rushed him back. We know they rushed him back, we know he wasn't available. Still very annoying to watch the situation where Brett Baty's completely overpowered by Jose Alvarado and the camera keeps going to Francisco Lindor, who's not coming into the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've seen both sides. I get it, Like, why is Lindor up if he's not ready to play every day? Also, then why did the Mets panic if they're clearly not really focused on becoming a playoff team the rest of the year. So what's the reason to get Francisco Lindor back so quickly?
Speaker 2: Well, I think the opposite. Actually, I think you'd rather him play two games by the three in City Field than Syracuse. Oh, I that's panic, that's I'm trying to win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with you. I would I would rather see this too. But it does suck that the Mets this year have found a way almost every single game this season to not play with a full twenty six man.
Speaker 2: Roster, yes, always five an absolute way to do that but again somehow, in some way, the sequence in this game that pissed me off the most, I think came in the fourth inning when so Though and bascheck it on to start the inning, and you have the lefty crushers allegedly back to back to back against Hayesusle's who again came into the start without much, even though he did hold the Mets almost scoreless over his five innings of work. And similar to no Ay, swing beats swing, Eric Wagaman comes up there just taking hacks, yeah, and then versus g Alvers comes up again, hacks again. Fourth inning, Shore take your hacks. But you in a situation where we have a guy in the ropes and Mark Fianto's comes up and just has such an unbelievably bad so bad it's it's a frustrating. We're and playing third Bass hasn't played third base all your plays third base twice in three games. You know what that is?
Speaker 1: Right, Try to trade him, that's totally. Hopefully someone sees that he can just stand at third base and not be Rafael Devers and they'll they'll take him for again a seventeen year old in the DSL.
Speaker 2: And then again once you do have those are on the ropes again. The following inning is last inning of work. Bo comes up with a guy in scoring position. It's so she's still down three to one, and he just again he loses all semblance of approach. Everything is got swings the four consecutive pitches to strike out, and then Wagaman comes up and he's a lazy flatball center that ends that threat as well. It's just it's just frustrating how the approach which can leave these guys on a moment's know this and you could blow those opportunities.
Speaker 1: You know who rocks though?
Speaker 2: Who aj Ewing the best?
Speaker 1: He's so good, what a the hood baseball player he is. And what's funny is he's still struggling insane against lefties like he is under the Mendoza line. I believe batting average wise against lefties. I liked what Andy Green said about getting aj Ewing reps against lefties. It's something that he's going to have to earn to play into more. Based on what he saw as a Padres manager when they went up against the Dodgers with guys like Bellinger and Munsey and all that he goes. You have to earn those at bats when given the opportunity, prove that you can. Obviously he came into the game against the righty. But man like two seventy nine, three sixty seven eighty one for aj Ewing so far, and what he has one hundred and forty seven at bats, so he's like one hundred and sixty played appearances.
Speaker 2: Dude's a damn good ballplayer.
Speaker 1: I know he has to earn him, but I want to see him play every day. I know by've all in this game using him coming off the bench. Once you get to the sixth inning, he improves your defense and he can come in to face the rights. Immediately smacks a home run off of Chase Sugart and that's his name, right, yeah, shit end shout out, Andy Green. You knew when to take Tyrone Taylor out. You don't get that bad against righty. It doesn't matter what time of the game it is. That's why we have aj Ewing.
Speaker 2: Same thing with Mark Vientos and then Jared junk struck out in that bad and they got hit by a pitch. Cherry Young had a weird game. But you don't let these guys play against right He's they're interface lefties now Ray anders in try and get the advantage, and that inning is what swung the game momentarily. That sixth inning when we went to the bench, we got a hold of it and then again similarly Chef making out to end that inning. But you can't get hit every single time up. And then the Sanka stuff is annoying too, because when he came in in the fifth, you're like, oh, this is stuff, like you're sitting here, I'm seeing hundreds like this is really fun, especially after that Tobias may Is third where it was just with two outs, there was no bear down whatsoever, missed every single spot callor was terrible, Like it was very annoying, but split the right in his own again it was I don't know.
Speaker 1: The Marschaf bat was a really good battle and the bomb hit was clock boom.
Speaker 2: It was just knocked that split it right the other way. Yeah, it was just it was the lack of bear down that frustrated with Tobias Myer. But I don't I have trouble blaming Tobias Myers for anything because of how much we've moved him around this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're now stuck with a guy that he's not stretched out to be a starter, but he's not in a short enough situation to go one hundred and ten percent. So now you just have a pitcher that's gonna go a couple of innings and not have his best stuff.
Speaker 2: Ever was the Sanga thing where he settled in really well into this game. He fought harder than the six to get it. That was magician Sanga back. Yes, when they're second and third to start the inning, and then you don't give up a run. I was like, Oh, this is actually the guy that I would like to see right now, Goes and again pumping a hundred Goes. Fork looked really good again because the fastball is one hundred, you could throw in his own it's nice. But the one fastball he shouldn't have thrown in the zone was the pitch to Kyle Schwarbur when he was Fork Fork Fork. And at that point you never want to say I'm okay walking to the guy because Bryce Harper's on deck, But in that situation, you just know he's the one that can hurt you. You just stole the momentum back in this game, just not an opportunity, especially as his loss he was trickling down to throw a fastball on the zone.
Speaker 1: Also Kyle Schwarber and saying, Senga's try to challenge him with the fastball a bunch.
Speaker 2: It doesn't the worst baby.
Speaker 1: Yet you're not beating Kyle Schwarb with the fastball, not being brest harder with the fastball. Probably not the guys to use that pitch on.
Speaker 2: No, But yeah, I still like the way that the pitching was deployed in this game. Because the saying is going to be on the roster, you have to find ways to do that. But again, that fastball dropped three miles an hour between his first sitting and his last stitning. So maybe that's also a lesson to us that maybe he just shouldn't even get eighty pitches. Maybe he should be a sixty pitch guy, because you didn't.
Speaker 1: He's in the bullpen now, be still acting like he has a start of this workload getting to the eighty pitches.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Whatever whatever happens, I'm sure we're gonna screw it up.
Speaker 1: But did you hear the comments from code I about what's going on with him pitching wise? He said a lot of it is mental that Mentally, he's struggling, and I'm like, God, Like, he's self aware. It's good. But at the same time, he's like, what I try to throw strikes? I can't when I go out there and I just pitch. That's why I'm throwing strikes. So do that, do that, do that, do that. But he's struggled with the mental side of it, and that's why he's like, apparently you see him looking up to the gods again, look for answers because he's mentally in such a blender right now.
Speaker 2: I mean, that freeze frame of the Schwarburg home run was classic. And we're we're over ten minutes now talking baseball, so it's rap fifteen. Let's wrap up the rest of baseball in three minutes. I want to talk Friday because Zach Thorton was awesome. I didn't think they should have sent him back down. I think so Weeda don't like that at all. But I really like the way he uses color against the hitter's from both sides of play. The Phillies don't platon very much, so it kind of shows you how a picture's going to approach each handedness. Yes, and used used that color early. He used that color late. It was a total weapon for him. He got tons of first pitch strikes. I love the fact that he got smacked in the mouth first three batches of the game, Turner, Schwarber, Harper, Bank, Bank, Bank, three hits, bearing down on you, Jerry Young makes a nice diving play. I think that was on Boone or Marsh, I can't remember who. But Thornton got really comfortable after that. Again, mixed speed. He threw one change up and he got a nasty whiff on it. I think that was from from Harper, That went from Bow I remember exactly. Keith was like, whoa, I know he had that. He only wond up through and won the whole game. But I like the bones of Zach Thorton. I think he could definitely be the new David Peterson complimentary wise, like when David petersmon was good, but that was I was very, very very impressed with how he responded after that first inning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really couldn't believe they send him back down. Six innings, five hits, one walk. Wondered to run seven k's against the Phillies. That feels feels like a really good outing. He he went toe to toe with Zach Wheeler, one of the best pitchers in baseball that deserves one more go. He should have won because in the first inning, Derek Hale, who walks into city field and the ghost of Tory Hunter takes over his whole fucking body.
Speaker 2: I don't know how he makes these catches against us every single time. That was one of the best catch I've ever seen. I couldn't even believe it. So they got his.
Speaker 1: Whole fucking arm above the wall.
Speaker 2: Wheeler looked like he'd never seen something like that in his life. Sola was back in the doug out the second happen, looking like how could that be real? But then after that, like again it's it's Zach Wheeler, John durand the ninth inning difficult to muster up offense against them. Can't blame them, wish it what they got different. Yes, Saturday, Christian Scott return. Mets are eight and two Christian Scott games this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and he didn't even necessarily have his best stuff for give him, like, give him length, which is normally what you need. But Mets win when Christian Scott's on the mountain, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: And that fastball is just zippy, like he's getting it up to ninety eight and then he's doing at the leathers.
Speaker 1: Wasn't that what Andy Green? Andy Green said, Christian Scott was like the first pitcher in the Miners that I fell in love with in the Mets organization because you see that fastball and you're like, his kid's gonna be really good.
Speaker 2: There was also a really nice He was able to work the color much more to lefties than he was doing before going down the ange list. That's something to watch with Christian Scott and now moving forward because again similar to we're just talking about with Thorton, maybe they saw it with Thornton. There were like this team's color susceptible. He was starting that color early, he mixed in some colors late. He was getting swings and misses with it like it was, and that fastball is just it starts the whole drink together. That pitch is unbelievably nasty when he's locating it. Really like Christian Scott happy he's back and healthy. Small things great too. Papin's unbelievable, but again probably left Mintern a little bit too long because then he couldn't pitch like the updown from Winter. Again, we didn't we hadn't taken the lead yet by that point. We just kind of rallyed just after he left the game, but then he didn't get to come in when we needed the left say they want to get a full workload. So everyone talking about they should have taken out.
Speaker 1: Where was Rayley really threw a back to back with forty pitches like three days ago, so I think they said they were trying to avoid him, But again, I think this is stuff we were talking about before.
Speaker 2: I think they wanted saying it to get somewhere near seventy five pitches. Yeah, so I don't think there's even consideration of him not facing Schwarbur and that truthfully and love the sequence on Saturday with the abs challenges Wagons my god, yes, just owning the home play Umpire and the home play Umpire being like openly like moody about it and then still losing. Yeah, because the umpires are idiots. No, that that bullpen looked nasty. Aj Ewing's awesome, Carson benj awsoen Wance. So the great game, Lindor had great game like it was, that was the game where you actually feel happy. Probably also us feeling happy for a friend getting married.
Speaker 1: It was a good day.
Speaker 2: Best man, yeah, best man Mark gave a good speech. Libations were moving like it was. We were like, this is fun baseball. Then Sunday gets kind of swept away from you. But hit the fifteen minutes.
Speaker 4: Yes, people, dehydration sucks. Quints electrolyte stick packs to the rescue. I order them, I use them all of the time.
Speaker 5: Somebody who may or may not have had some adult beverages in their life. The next day, you know what flavor? I like watermelon, and I don't like watermelon. I'll go raspberry and it helps me to get my citrus salt in. But if I do, it helps me to get back to normal, feeling good and ready to go the next day.
Speaker 4: Yep, tough workout or dry mouth in the morning, whatever it is, this is going to help you out. Quint always has the best deals for you. You can go on their website and see a number of products we're talking about not only a product that tastes great but has zero sugar options that are also stevia free. Give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to quins dot com, slash foul for free shipping on your order in three sixty five day returns. That's qui n ce dot com slash foul for free shipping in three sixty five day returns quins dot com slash foul. These statements have not been evaluated by the FEUD and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Speaker 1: Ready, talk about the real stuff, James. You know it because I told you this last night at the wedding. I can't wait to talk about this. I was I was selling my girlfriend today. I was like, it might be a two hour podcast because I got so much to say. We're gonna be doing some crazy talk right now because it's the conversations in the Mets world media, Twitter, Family, shout out of our family.
Speaker 2: They rock.
Speaker 1: They got all the right takes. It's like it's like I've never seen polar opposites and also some of the just worst horrible takes ever. The revision is history is crazy. The glazing is crazy. It's weird. It's weird, and I can't wait to talk about it.
Speaker 2: No, So we're here. So since we left you guys on Friday, the instant reaction sadly delayed this reaction because I had a nice little sleep in on Friday. But pros Mendoza got fired. We got the press conference from David Stearns, we got the press conference from Andy Green, We got two great articles from Will Salmon. We got another two or three articles from everybody out there. We got Mike Puma asking David Searns to step down. We had gay mister Mett dancing behind a very serious Steve Gallups. I think really underscores everything about this organization. Like it is just I can't even believe how much has happened.
Speaker 1: It's, uh, it's shocking that in a weekend where the manager getting fired really like was so it was so obvious, so insanely obvious, that there's now so much narrative about how he shouldn't have been fired, which is it's batshit fucking crazy to me. I don't know what happened to the writers and the media. I actually do know. They're not reporting anymore. They're giving their opinions. And I can't think of people whose opinions I give a shit less about than people who write about the team. But like, it's just it's fucking crazy. That for all the reasons that they hate David Stearns, and you're totally allowed to hate David Stearns in the job that he's done the Mets, the podcast. We like David Surs and a broadman. He has not done a good enough job, There's no doubt about it. But to blame him for everything while also then saying that Carls Mendez is not responsible for anything despite this team being so fucking bad. I don't know how you can look at the leader of the team on the field and be like, you know what, he's doing a good enough job.
Speaker 2: It is all David Stearns' fault. Yes, Well, at the same time, I did like elements of David Sterns press conference the media. Again, special, very special, medium level to Mike Puma for asking David Stearns if he was willing to step down and saying that David Stearns the bad job when I want to read the exact weeks. I think it's very meaningful here from Mike Puma. This was on where is It It's so was. This was March twenty fourth, eight fifty six in the morning, fresh first coffee thought of the day, The post fine Baseball Preview is out today, including staff predictions. This is my seventeenth season on the beat and never picked the Mets to win the World Series. My pick this year Mets over Mariners. I will note that my preseason pick last year was Dodgers over Blue Jays.
Speaker 1: He's got to make sure you know that.
Speaker 2: But the thing that it can we say every single episode now continues to piss me off about this media frenzy. Anti David Stearns, specifically in this moment pro Carlos Mendoza is the Revision's history around all these writers saying the roster was flawed. The Mets went to this season like asking for a disaster. I'll be honest, the only people who I spoke to before the season who didn't like where this Mets team was at was my dad and my buddy Ryan. And I'll say this, Ryan miserable, fun, always upside, really mad about everything. If Brendan's probably listening to this, lett Ryan know and my dad Dad has never been a Bobaschek guy.
Speaker 1: He thought that was a weird I mean, we were in Boba, guys, we shame on us.
Speaker 2: But all of these riders refusive in their praise of how David Stearns turned this roster over quickly. Every single projection system had the Mets as a top three offense, the top five overall team in baseball. YEP, for now some reason, again we've knew. Now we know that Steve Phillips also was anti what this Mets team was going to the season. Credit to Steve. Don't google his name, no, don't google his name. But for everyone now to be looking at this and being like this was a disaster from the start, very very disingenuous. And that's the part that keeps sticking in my crawl about the coverage of it all.
Speaker 1: Yes, because I mean, we've seen this happen with the Mets stuff too in the past. Like there's so much you get. The Mets are low cows for those of you who are Internet people, like on time, like you laugh at them, they get clicks, they make you money, Like making fun of the Mets is a profitable business, and they do things to make you laugh at them all the time. They can't get out of their own fucking way. But the way that the Mendoza firing turned into again you said it, pro Carlos Mendoza anti David Stearns Anti Mets offseason. It was a twist that I actually wasn't ready for. I thought the Mendoza firing was gonna be more like it was sad. There was good moments that was bad, but it's understandable and that was not really the case by almost everybody that covered the team. And it's just a lack of nuance in these discussions where many things can be true. Now looking back one hundred percent, we could say the off season didn't go very well. Yes, think so obvious, clear, blatantly clear as day right, just smacking the fucking face. But it's the things that I think are the opposite of things that most people get upset about, because over and over again it's talk about pylons and Brandimo, and again, looking back, those two transactions.
Speaker 2: Short, they have not gone our way so far this year. But I think the biggest issue is the issue that we talk about a lot with David Searns. It's the constant threading of the needle, which probably is why we lost the game on Sunday, where again it's like trying to be very fine walk the line and make sure you hit both outcomes, which kind of underscores what the philosophy was of his last few years. The Mets anyway, an organization that needed the top down rebuild, not player wise, not roster wise, but organizationally, throwing a bunch of shit against the wall kind of just like a Billy Eplert. It was Starling Martine and marcannon Edloy the Wescobar. There's just a better version of it, and it just didn't work out. You don't want to tear it down because you have two of the fifteen best players in the league on your team, but you need to change a lot of shit while you're doing it. That's the issue with David Stearns and the issue, and this was what Steve Gelips was saying, actually very well before mister gave Mister Matt interrupted them, which I want to get to there right now, where it probably was a little foolish to think you can turn over this much of a major league baseball team in one offseason and expect success on the other side. But to me, a lot of that falls on David Stearns, but some still falls on Carlos Mendoza because he was the constant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was the constant. He was supposed to be the leader on the field, the manager of this ball club. And we're getting little morsels here and there from different soundbites and different things said by players, managers, people in the organization and great Will Samon article, a great Will Samon arcle. We'll talk about more of that later. But like the fact that it again, all the blame is on David Stearns. He is very much to blame, our blame pie. He had the majority of the blame, like there is no doubt about it.
Speaker 2: He is.
Speaker 1: He is the architect of this roster, and the roster has issues, the roster has not been good, but the guy who is the manager getting off so Scott free. It's the opposite of what we've heard when we talk to people in baseball about the role of the manager, where they're basically making it sound like the manager can't do anything. Manager has no impact whatsoever. The Mets won thirty six games this year, all because of Carlos Mendoza, don't look at the fifty losses.
Speaker 2: And that's something that's going around the media now too, and I think that's happened, especially this weekend. We have a perfect storm of baseball sports analytics to base between Jalen Brown, David Stearns, Peter Bendix, Like for some reason, we're all talking about nerds and sports right now, and there's this I think there's a misconception and we'll never actually know the full truth of it. But now a lot of people in the media do this thing with David Sterns, Steve Cohen, Carlos Mendoza where the bad line of decisions are David Stern's fault, signings of David Stearn's fault, the good signing was Steve Cohen, the good the goodness of the lineup was Carls Mendoza. Where if you're gonna give Steve Cohen credit for one, so though maybe he should also get blamed for Bobaschet or David Stearns gets credit in the blame for both of those. And we heard and we knew this from back in David Sterns' time in Milwaukee with Craig Council that he was a very hands off executive in terms of day to day lineup decisions, tactics, batting, or their substitutions. It was very much he's the manager, let him manage, yes, And we're not getting that from the media, and Mark and I are not reporters, market are not inside this. I've had some conversation with some people who are relatively in the know, and I got relative confirmation that was the same thing here. Yeah, where might have been to Carlsz David Stearns is detriment that he was very hands off of Carls Mendoza, who I'm sure was managing a little desperate for most of this year, who tactically has never been good as the Mets manager ever been good. And then that's kind of the result you get, which is really weird Wonkee lineups and decisions and tactics every single day. While some favoritism for Mark Fiantos.
Speaker 1: The way that we we've understood it throughout the Carlos Mendoza David Sterns era with the New York Mets is that David Sterns dictates who the twenty six men are that show up to the field every single day. And there is a plan in place that the Mets want, right, They want you to play collaboration. Yeah, they're supposed to be collaboration. They want certain guys playing in certain matchups. We're supposed to use data to make the best informed decisions to put guys into situations where they're going to be able to succeed. But Carlos Mendoza makes the lineup. And again, I think anybody who thinks that David Sterns is down on the field sending memos to Carlos Mendez about what this is the lineup is because of analytics, that's simply not what any of the stats would ever tell you. And that's what we've been trying to tell people for the longest time. Who put the lineup blame on David Sterns ring. But the thing is is he is a smart man when it comes to data numbers. There's no doubt about that. He's unequivocally smart.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: He might not make right decisions with personnel, player fits, whatever it is to New York City, but in terms of numbers and stats, it is very black and white. That's what's great about numbers, and that's what's great about stats. There's a right and or wrong. A lot of the decision making was wrong. Why would the guy who's using the numbers go against the numbers in the lineup?
Speaker 2: And that's also where I think David Stearns. We know for sure right now has lacked most when his ability as a decision maker is the things that are not that. So it's understanding chemistry, player culture, things like that, because look at the trade deadline last year, every single player we got not fit to be in New York bringing all these new faces and people this year. Even the understanding of I'm gonna get rid of all most of my leaders and also all of the assistant coaches and leave the manager in the middle of it.
Speaker 1: Bad situation. That's an that was wrong, non human decision by David Stearns right there.
Speaker 2: But then you kind of hope that the manager is the guy that is good. That everything we heard about Carlson doze, he was good at that baseball man, really understood people like that was something. Yeah. That and again Carls mcdoze at that I think was very good. And it is sad to lose a guy like that from your organization. But the flip side of that they continue to come back to is that tactically he was not no and that was something that costs this Mets team lots of games this season and and last season and last season season before as well. It was hard to it was very hard to justify after everything that's happened for him to keep that job.
Speaker 1: I also, like, I keep going back to the thing like, oh, David Sterns should step down, he should be fired. He's not going to fire himself. He's the president of this team. The first person that's going to go is going to be the manager that was also a lame duck manager coming into the season. Like, yes, by merit, David Stearns has not done a good job, and by merit, he deserves to be fired based on the performances over the last two seasons for the New York Mets, There's no doubt about the win losses are horrible. Why is that not also Carlos Mendez? Why is Carlos Mendoza absolved from all the fucked up shit that's been going on in the Mets world, especially when you hear about how the lines are bad and the chemistry was bad. Where was the leadership? It seemed like Carlos Mendoza, for as nice as a guy, he was, as great as a baseball guy was.
Speaker 2: He was not a leader. And that was even obviously in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: But we had the blindfolds on because we had Jose Glacias, we had Grimas, we had Jadie Martinez. Shit didn't turn around until actual other leaders came into the clubhouse.
Speaker 2: And maybe it's not that he wasn't the leaders. I'm sure Carlos Mendoza can lead men.
Speaker 1: But maybe it's worth the right type of leader that this team possibly needed for all the turnover that happened with this team, for the way that the chemistry was disrupted with the one solo signing, it just didn't seem like he was able to steer the boat well. And that's why it seemed like this move could have happened much earlier in the season. Wish it did.
Speaker 2: But then we also got the line from the first of two Great Will Salmon articles, and it's something that we've talked about in this podcast that we've bought the heads about, and I have the quote right here. I'm going to read it because I put it on Twitter. Those who know owner Steve Cohen well say that he's operating with his sensitivity about not coming across as as impulsive. The Mets want to attract quality people. At different points over the last twelve months, they got caught between needing to make some kind of change and wanting to keep their guy losing the way the Mets have lost a continuous stretch force his action. That's the thing. There's an optics issue with the Mets right now. And again, I think around the league, the Mets are viewed as a team that you don't really want to work for. It's it's obviously chaotic, is potentially toxic. There's a shit ton of pressure on you. And in terms of managers and executives over the years, like we continue to rotate through them. Like we were having the conversation was that the wedding was with my family today where in our lives the Yankees have are three managers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, Mets have had like eleven twelve. Met's have had three in the twenty twenties.
Speaker 2: It depends if you count calls calls Beltron as well. That number can change. But like it.
Speaker 1: The whole thing is, Mets have had three managers since we worked for the New York Mets.
Speaker 2: And three lead executives. Yeah, yeah, no, no, no, I'll take it back too. Well, m Mess, you're on there. Billy Applick got fired, We don't. I mean, I'm excited for Eric Shavistill tell us a little bit about that more tomorrow. We said it was an inside job, yeah, when we do a live rewatch of the EC three podcast. But this is o kayic organization.
Speaker 1: But the fact that they're openly worried about optics that defeats the purpose of worrying about Latin not being impulsive because they know you're only doing it to satisfy people out there. This is not an algorithm that people are using to decide if you're impulsive. It's a gut field thing and obviously you're trying not to be impulsive. You're rude your season, people will still think you're impulsive.
Speaker 6: This episode is brought to you by FanDuel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing, and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call your shot with daily dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com. Slash Podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com slash podcast. To opt in for daily dingers, make your free pick on who's hitting a homer playball Swing for the Fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opt in required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount see terms at sportsbook dot com. Gambling problem caller text one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, and I think that's where like you were totally right that the Mets were thinking that way.
Speaker 2: That's my point the whole time.
Speaker 1: I also think that that's a dumb way for them to think, because then you'd have this Carlos Mendoz situation where he was unfit to be the manager a month and a half into the season, maybe a month when you lose twelve straight games with the roster that the Mets had, it's pretty unacceptable like that. That's not a losing streak. That's like the team is depressed and something's wrong.
Speaker 2: And the day that losing streak broke, you have the quote from Mark Fientos defying one of your coaches he's a coach on your staff. He said, why did you ignore that? Guy stops on and get thrown out by not twelve feet at the plate. I was following my instincts. Once I saw the ball set off the wall. I was like, I'm going to score on that. How can you not hold a player like that accountable in some way? Or maybe you not having the coaches back?
Speaker 1: And that's even more tox How about when he made two just as simple as performance, right, Mark Fiantos is bad. We know that not a good baseball player. He made two errors in that game. He starts the next day. How can yeah, when's it does? How does this stuff happen? How does it continue? Like there was if there was a lot of things I'd say about Carls Mendoza, but there was a complacency with mediocrity under Carlos Mendoza. That doesn't happen a lot with other managers. And the fact that again mar Fienze's whoever it was. If it was Juan Soto openly defying a coach and saying to the media like he did, Nope, I know better. That's a really bad look.
Speaker 2: And it came from one of your worst players who sucks and the other Will Samon's story really echoed this. Yes, it was again amazing. It was free on the athlete.
Speaker 1: Shout out Will. By the way, all his reporting reporting he was doing reporting, not giving his opinion, not telling you why he thinks Carlos Mendoza was wrongfully fired. Reporting. That's what these guys need to get back to. Because John Hayman and Joel Sherman and Mike Puma their opinions. I don't give a fuck what they think about baseball.
Speaker 2: No, but Sam basically said that he gave players anonymity in exchange for candor in this piece, and it was questions about leadership, was questions about feelings changing, complacency. He asked, the player, is the Mets clubhouse the leadership lacking. The ensuing pause ticked away until after about fifteen seconds it was clear that the silence spoke for itself. And then the other line from this that there had been some talks among small groups early wait. After losing both games with double heather on Wednesday, with the brutal season's worst performance, not one player in the Mets clubhouse saw fit to call a team meeting. There had been some talks among small groups earlier in the week and continued reflection before Thursday's game, multiple players said, but nothing stood out as particularly memorables. One player put it, yeah, not much, so what happened next was no surprise. We went out and did the same thing the next day.
Speaker 1: It's just it's insane. And then we hear about too, like it seems like these players were playing with the pressure of Carlos Mendoza's job on their shoulders.
Speaker 2: Which feels they still love the guy.
Speaker 1: Of course, no, they're allowed to like the guy. But I think even as the manager, like having a manager there, that the players are feeling such amount of pressure that his job relies on their shoulders. That feels like not the best environment to play baseball in either, which is so insane, Like how is there not again a steadying force? We know that the player leadership in this locker room is super super bizarre at times, and we know that even in twenty twenty four, Francisco Lindor, he's awesome, He's a leader by how he plays on the field. Wan Soto seems to be a leader how he plays on the field. Loves the young guys. But like there is no real veteran, and it was a team of mercenary. Something that we said could have gone really really well or really really poorly. It did really poorly. It's hard to have leadership, and the one guy that has been steady there, that's supposed to be the leader every single day seemingly didn't do anything to take pressure off of players.
Speaker 2: And you still have the weird thing that happened last year when it looked like one hundred percent Francisco Lindor was going to be named the captain and David Wright weekend, right after the All Star break, when the Mets season last year really fell apart, a video was produced with David Wright. It had some Keith and Nandez and some Gary Carter in there, and there's a transition to Francisco Lindor's erotion twenty four and all of a sudden it didn't happen. You had the rumors squeak out Adam, out of Vino, some other good reporting about Brandon Nimo's uncomfortable uncomfortability with the situation, and then it never happened. And then Steve Cohen makes a public statement there.
Speaker 1: Will never be a captain while he's the owner that's weird too, Like one got hard again.
Speaker 2: It's very easy to poke a lot of holes. And Francisco Lindoora's tenure with the Mets off the field, on the field, can't pook a hole, not for sure. There's some things to look at that, I'm sure. Again, one day, when these books come out, these articles come out, we're gonna get a lot more. But to publicly cut the dude's balls off, Yeah, it was bizarre. That was really weird, and it seemed like the weirdness kind of destroyed that team. And then now the other guys who were considered leaders are not on the team anymore. In Brandon Nimo and pe Alonzo and those conversations happen every single day.
Speaker 1: Francisco lindor is the most tenured Mets player now, which is an insane Yeah, he is by a good bit. Yeah. And then like Brett Baty second, Oh my god, is Brett Baidy the next Francisco Alvarez. It's him and Alpharez? Right, But he came up first?
Speaker 2: Yeah, baby did come up first.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's crazy, horrible shit, that's really bad.
Speaker 2: Could that be true?
Speaker 1: I'm thinking about it because he came up twenty twenty two would have been baity when he made his debut because that he hit the homer against Atlanta and then didn't Alvarez come up like a day later or a week later when back in Alvarez Alvarez came up with the last weekend series of the year against the Braves.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, that was his debut. Yes, yes, that's.
Speaker 1: Because he was he was there to save the day when we were watching the watch party.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is really bad to think about. But again, like all this weird stuff happening, it's an organization continuously trapped in knock getting abas on way, turmoil, toxic, all of these things are true, and it's really spilling out onto the field.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's totally noticeable. I mean we even saw it with like how weird bo But shit was early in.
Speaker 2: The season, like these guys, what am I doing here?
Speaker 1: These guys are taking these things like almost too seriously. It seems like that time, and it's not the on the field stuff. It seems like it seems like all the consequences from there on the field actions now plays into the off the field and then it comes back onto the field because they're just they're so way down by everything.
Speaker 2: Tell the people about the aj Minter comments that you found really meaningful. You told me hereight before we started.
Speaker 1: Yes, so one of the aggregators on twit. You know, I'm gonn shout Themut I don't care. That's Baflip tweeted out Andy Green. AJ Mintor comments about after the game. Aj Minter said, Green's speech resonated with the clubhouse after he got to talk to them. I think he did a really good job. His job here is to take pressure off of us and let us go out there and just play free, because given the situation, it can be stressful here and us players take a lot of responsibility as to why Mendy was let go. His message was, my job is to take that responsibility and pressure off you guys and just let you go out there and play the way we're capable of. Mintor added the players were energized by the speech despite the loss, something that got us fired up. That night he was talking about the speech, a lot of guys were like, Wow, that was actually pretty good. We're excited to go and play and excited again tonight. That tells me a lot about what was going on. Prior to it either. I'm sure Carlsman Dooza felt like he was a dead man walking because he was all the time. So like, imagine knowing that basically your job is hanging on by a thread, right, and again, bad job by David Surtain's here losing the human aspect, which is something that I think consistently he's not doing a great job of as the human element of things. But Mendoza was not getting these guys ready to play. The interim manager comes in and all of a sudden, though, feels like a weight was lifted off our shoulders. That's what Minter said. It felt like a lot of weight was off of our shoulders. After Green speech, that's crazy, your manager just got fired. A new guy's coming in that seasons like shit. He says one thing, You're like, let's go play. And then they played well.
Speaker 2: And maybe there is some kind of beautiful humility in Andy Green coming in and being like, yeah, might be a manager in the future. A couple months the Moonlight, I'm going right back to my role. I love my job, Like there's something cool and honest about that that does probably take pressure off. Also, the pressure being off of like you guys suck and I make the players anyway I might asposed to play some ball. I love the Andy Green press conference on Friday. I thought he did a great job in conveying how much one again, he loves his role, how much he this or he cares about his organization, and how much he loves the game of baseball. He gave a comment about in his role as farm director VP of Players Development, whatever it is trying to watch four games a night and then also keep an eye on the major league team. He's like, you feel like you're just going insane sometimes Quis He's like, I did miss the ability to get lost in an in a nine inning game, and I was like, that guy loves baseball. That's really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he loves ball. Have you seen the Do you see the clip when he was the manager of the Padres and Will Myers was talking about how it's like September and he's making him do outfield drills and yeah, again, look where Will Myers has gone now after Also, look at that Padres team that year. I think they won sixty four games, So like, yeah, this team needs to work on things.
Speaker 2: God forbid, or my manager makes me do baseball work. Yeah, oh god, but it does seem like this was a good point by your dad from the start. Is like he seems like the next logical solution because we knew Crosson Does was going to get fired. Yes three, yeah, basically before not before the season began. Once we got to the middle of it, once a losing streak hit seven, it's like he can't make it. He's not going to make it through this season. And Andy Green won prime manager experience. Nice to have that again. It seems like this whole coaching staff is still not really jelled, not really coalesce in a way that's actually beneficial to winning baseball games. Two kind of a hard ass. This team definitely needs a bit of a hard ass.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little bit of kick in the ass because I mean there's there's a lot of big names here. There's also a lot of young players. There's a lot of moving parts. There's a lot of egos on this team, whether you guys want to hear that or not.
Speaker 2: Like all clubhouses, all teams, athletes.
Speaker 1: Yes, you have to have an ego to beg professional baseball player. Yeah, I mean some guys shouldn't, but they all do. And from here anything else you want to say about Greens. I feel like we still need to do five ten minutes on that clip with Steve Kelps. Yeah, I mean, we'll talk about that in a second. With Green stuff, I mean, I like the way that he's already managed the games. He's very proactive. It seems like he's ready to go. He's playing this the positions, he's playing the situations.
Speaker 2: Oh hmm.
Speaker 1: The Jared Young lineup comment from Andy Green to give you even more insight to the fact that the manager is making this Lineup's like, oh, Jared Young has proven that he deserves a lion's share of playing time. He is going to play as much as he possibly can.
Speaker 2: You're muted, bout mute the touchbacks. The flip side of that is that now Mark Fantos is getting the third based reps, which again that sucks, but like that part is really annoying to me. That was a little moment though, pushing out and then a lot of media members push back on that, being like, why are people taking this clip out of context? Like we know that there's a collaborative and that David Searn's had a big feel on that. What I think now, Andy Green is is he's going to put more of the front office spin on these lineups, Yes, because he is technically still a member of the front office. Yes, and that's what this is. And again, you don't have to watch a lot of baseballs and the Mark Fantos shouldn't be playing baseball every single day. Definitely not. But that's kind of where that team where the lineup ended up on Sunday, which is funny. I kind of made that clip lose a little bit of pungent that he played third bases. Yeah, you know he's not playing first base.
Speaker 1: Here is a third I also think that at the same time, like just the idea that Andy Green mentioned lineup construction very early on in his press conference, I think tells you everything that you need to know about who is making decisions.
Speaker 2: Definitely, And I would not be able to sleep at night if I was Carlos Mendoz and I knew it deep in my heart. One of the reasons I may have lost my job was because I was defending Mark Fianto's too hard. That would crush That would crush me. If Mark Fianto's cost me my job, that.
Speaker 1: Would be a tough pill to swallow. Bru the one other small green things.
Speaker 2: I mean, let's let's even I still think there's even more stuff in the Stearns press conference talk about. But this, this mister Metz Steve Gelps thing was it was that took over the internet for a while.
Speaker 1: That's one of my favorite clips I've ever seen in my entire life. Like I was telling you before this, it's up there with like the house that's burning down and there's the crazy guy on his swing in his front lawn when they like zoom out like this isn't This is an all time Internet clip. It doesn't matter if you like sports, if you like baseball, if you have any idea who the Mets are. You could be a Norwegian guy watching this clip and you're like, that is objectively fucking hilarious.
Speaker 2: It's just so Mets. Yes, this is the Mets right here. If you want to learn about the Mets organization in ten seconds, everything about the Mets organization, you can get sixty five years of folly right here. Yes, it's mister met wearing LGBT rainbow arm bands, dancing behind Steve Gelips who trying to give a really solemn soliloquy about how great of a guy Carlos Mendez was and how his firing was in his fault, the situation around it, and mister Met actively fucking with Steve Gelves during it, trying to get him to know this and make him crack. Credit to Steve for not cracking on that.
Speaker 1: He gave one look back and was kind of like a fuck.
Speaker 2: And Steve usually is the guy that does add a lot of levity to Mets media, like all the hot dog stuff going being a fun field reporter. This was his chance to be serious and mister Met doing this and this clip now being the lasting image this everyone, so many people in the sports world saw Steve Gelb's face I think for the first time no moonface, and like this between all the accounts and the aggregators has got almost seven million impressions. I like tweeted it late and it went absolutely nuclear, like it was just It is undoubtedly a clip that you will never forget, and of course the Mets are plastered all over this one. I also think like some of the comments about what mister Met was doing and everything like completely dumb and like shout ascot, Yeah.
Speaker 1: He's the mascot. Shout out the sauce boss John Hayman all time idiot. He quote tweeted it and said, mister Met didn't quite grasp the serious of the seriousness of the situation. Mister Met, despite the name, is actually childlike. This is coming from someone who doesn't understand that he can take a screenshot of what's on his screen. His profile picture is him taking a picture of his computer screen of his face because he's an idiot, he's a moron. So like, yeah, mister Met is going to be a childlike he is a mascot for children. John Haymen, did you just think he's there to entertain you? I know you have a very small brain and it's very simple to keep you focused. But my god, this.
Speaker 2: Is the same mascot who once gave a fan the middle finger right to him. But like, this is it's so funny. I really I wonder if the person in the suit, if they got reams reprimanded, lost their job.
Speaker 1: I mean, a little peak behind the curtain, mov. We worked there. There's like seven or eight different people that are mester Met throughout the year. It's like rotating. There's a lot of different people that get into that costume. People have other jobs, like it's not like you're just mister Met for your entirety of your life whatever. How Also, you can't really hearing that thing. How in the world is he supposed to know that Steve Gelbs is doing this uber serious thing when the history of Steve Gelbs is to be the light guy. Like you mentioned, Yes, have levity, but there's nothing that encapsulates the message of franchise more. No, you're trying to be serious, You're trying to be solemn for a second, and gay mister Met just won't stop dancing behind you, Like I can't even believe. Like if there's if we ever have to give a time capsule for Earth, and they were like, we want every single sports scene to be documents.
Speaker 2: It had to fifteen seconds. This is what it should be. The Mets fire their manager in a horrific season and mister Met just can't stop Like it's.
Speaker 1: Mister Met in the electric slide behind Steve Geldolps. It's a whole thing, and this is who the Mets are. We have to come to terms with that fucking joke.
Speaker 2: They're low cows. I said, We're legitimately a ridiculously run franchise. All the changes that have been made. You haven't fixed anything. This team absolutely exists for the purpose of pain and humiliation. That's it.
Speaker 1: It's a humiliation, k That's the whole reason that we're here. And this is just another example. And there's going there's There's been so many in the past, there are going to be so many more in the future. Remember when the Mets did immemorium to multiple Mets players that were not dead. Remember when the Mets flashed, they flashed out what's it called head shots of guys from the night the first ever the nineteen sixty two Mets team weren't actually a team.
Speaker 2: That meant they mistook guys head shots.
Speaker 1: How about uh, Mike Piazza having a press conference to say he's not gay, like mister Met flipping off fans himself, the Mets fans and players getting into a fight over getting thumbs down, like this whole we just do things that other not even just baseball teams. One of those guys who is the lead candidate to possibly be a manager next year in Carlos Beltron, by the by, the fans was hired and fired with him like a week because he was a huge part of the Actros scandal.
Speaker 2: And it came out they would even hold him through that. It's just the whole thing. We are complete farce, a complete and other joke. Yeah, and I did think that it was going to be different by this time, and it's not even close to being different. And again it's not I won't blame Steve Cohen for this because all you can do is own is like, spend a bunch of money, try to hire the people in the right place. He got back on Towyter this week. Yeah, he got an anti semitic comment made at him really quickly.
Speaker 1: And crazy how people will just go right there anti Semitic, racist, anything like. So it's all really bad and shouldn't be doing that kind of stuff. Crazy people still doing this age and it's just something like I don't know the continued bring back to pe Alonzo. It's like, if you're under the age of sixteen years old, I think you could be really sad talk about the plans' decisions as much as you want. If you're not, you probably have to move past this and figure something else talk about. I wish he was on the Mets totally. I think we all do. I wish ped Alonso got to be a lifetime Met He's not. Guess what if he was, the Mets would be thirty eight and forty five instead of thirty five and forty nine. Whatever it is like this team is again, there's a reason we have like stats like war we kind of can understand how many wins the guy is going to add to a roster. I don't think Pete A. Lonso is gonna make this team a playoff team right now. No, they weren't a playoff team last year with them.
Speaker 2: No, they weren't. In his whole career, they made the playoffs twice.
Speaker 1: That's the other revision revision of shit history too. That's driving me insane talking about like again, Certains made all these moves and coming off of a trade deadline where he brought in all these players that were supposed to be impact guys, said, I misunderstood the kind of player that needs to come into New York. The fit wasn't great. He then did go out this offseae and said, let me see if all these other new guys would be good fits. They haven't been good fits, but.
Speaker 2: I think all those guys on paper should have been better personality fits. Boba Shad always seem like he could handled it. Freddy Prowl to seen like a Shabel handle it if Hory planco Ever stepped on the field, which he re began rehab assignment, seemed like he has the demeanor to handle something like New York.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, oh man, where was I going with this? Oh man, oh you lost it? No, I got it, like talking about we know what that team did last year?
Speaker 3: Suck like it was.
Speaker 1: They missed the playoffs too, So it's not like there was this like remember when the Dodgers were going to the playoffs every single year and then they said, you know what, chop it down, start new, get all new guys in. I could understand if they started slow and an organized and people were like, how do we get rid of these guys? Said, no success with these people. Our best thing was losing in what five six games to the Dodgers in the NFCS.
Speaker 2: This wasn't like when you broke up the nineteen seventies A's when they had when they ran out of money and you have Catfish Hunter and you have Reggie Jackson spread out all over the league. Suddenly they were trying to sell I think it was a fi the Blue. They were trying to sell players for cash and league had to step in and stop them. Even what happened Mets.
Speaker 1: When they got rid of Doc and Daryl, Like, it's not like that, rolly fingers, like these guys get just spurned around the league again with multiple World Series rings.
Speaker 2: Very different situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like part of the whole I think nexus of getting rid of everybody was trying to turn a new page and get a new thing going here. It's been an absolute disaster. But I don't think that those guys being honest team make the team that much better. Maybe we're almost closer to five hundred and again. Maybe the real issue was trying to change too much too fast. I think that is now we know for sure that Steve Gelp was trying to say when mister Mett it gave mister interrupted him, but he just start dancing around.
Speaker 2: It's it was a kind of thing where you like, I want to reset everything, I want to let these guys chante, but it just change too much. And the problem with the reset is it wasn't really reset because Carlson Doze was still right in the middle.
Speaker 1: Cars Mendoza was right in the middle and we got rid of the good guys who were still a part of the old We kept all the bad ones. Because I think the other major oversight was probably how good of a player Brett Baity was going to be this year. The impact that Martha by us, you hand up by us. I didn't after last year. I didn't see him having a sub six hundred oh ps in July. I didn't on the worst players in base I didn't think that was possible. I don't think that like as bad as and as much as I didn't like Mark Vienos, didn't think he was gonna be this. I didn't think it was gonna be useless. I thought that there was gonna at least be a slight role for him to do something. A lot of the young guys that were supposed to fill in the cracks have been about as bad.
Speaker 2: As you could be, and that's the problem. Iither clip taken a bit out of context last week talking about this, not that the Mets don't develop homegrown players, because the last generation we had a bunch. Now this new phase looks like Gretna have two studs and Carson began a j ewing. But the phase in the middle and end prospect ranking in this order versus Squalverus, who has consensus top ten prospect in the game. Still to me looks like he's going to cash relatively on what that potential was going to be, which I think for Cisquealivers still profiles of two to three win catcher who still has the potential for more carry Sanchez. Yeah, what we said that Brett Beatty, who was around the top thirty ish prospect, top twenty five prospect, not filling in he should have been, never became a first division regular, and then way down the list, way far away, Mark Fantos, running Risio Marisio flashed on top one hundred lists, especially around twenty one to twenty two, big tools, good h level at double A, never filled, never improved on things he had to improve upon, and got a really bad injury. And Mark Fantos, who was never a prospect but had a massive season. The fact that that quadrant of players right there has given us very little so far this season. That's the biggest issue, not feeling in the cracks. David David Stern's trying to thread the needle with a bunch of injury prone mercenaries. And not having the backfill to actually make this team sustainably good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the fact that mons to Bobashet and Francisco the door. I think I now played ten games together. I think eleven eleven eleven guys a Saturday got it all right? That was number eleven on Saturday, So.
Speaker 2: I'mody maybe that one was number ten. It's a perfect storm of disaster for the Mets. Yeah. There's also another comment that Will Salmon article about someone being like, why do we trade David Peterson's like we want pictures growing on trees? And David Peaston had a good first start with the Cubs. It will probably be okay with the Cubs.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be fine.
Speaker 2: Was kind of frustrating the way the media took the first pitcher through the Cub being a home run, and a lot of people conveniently forgetting that he wind up having a really good start after that.
Speaker 1: H of course, but I also good for him.
Speaker 2: I don't fucking care he.
Speaker 1: Was gonna be here next year. I don't give a shit. So happy from me he's out of this ship. Imagine we get podcasts traded? God that do who do we want to be the podcast? Probably just the Dodgers, right, they get crazy because we know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the lame. We don't want that yet, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think it gonna make us the most money.
Speaker 2: That probably the Mets. All Right, we're good, we're good, we're back. We're saying no trade.
Speaker 1: I will not request to trade the deny and we're doing the opposite of Brandon demo. I'm staying with the Mets. That was like that little kid who apparently went viral. What the post was that he was.
Speaker 2: Like, I don't want to be a Mets fan. I want to be Yankees fan. And someone had a great quotes who him so good? Suck it up, Champ, start drinking with the rest of Ok, here's this number one, JD. Davis hate account love How long that's he stood? Guess what, little dickhead, what's your end? You can't get out, sack up and start drinking like the rest of us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gotta be tougher than that kid.
Speaker 2: That's real. That's the whole thing. That's what this team needs, and that's what we're gonna do. Ah, it's so bad anything else, I mean some of the moments from that David starts press conference made me a little bit upset about where our beats emotions let them get to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the did you consider stepping down like I I think that making things personal like that, I'm not gonna I hope the people who know that they're good reporters that we have relationships. No, we're not talking about them when we say this, but the Mets beat is a fucking joke.
Speaker 2: Here's just a lot of people. There's a lot of competition for clicks. I think even us people like Worthy diving in on people's clicks too, makes it a lot more competitive. Everyone is trying to make a living doing what they love and again must respect everybody out there. Print media is a very difficult medium to continue to stay profitable. In understand all of that, I thought d she had a good question. I thought Ivan Mistraco did great. Will Salmon was good.
Speaker 1: I thought he's catching a lot of shit right now she's if she was iffy. Yeah, I mean, I think Abby asked a good question. I just think people were giving her ship because of how she asked it, and David Strans kind of got snap back to her a little bit.
Speaker 2: I think Abby's a good report than she's she's again getting better every day. That was Dsha's old job, run the beat of the daily news.
Speaker 1: I also think we're getting like these random people coming out of the woodwork now talking about the Mets and giving their thoughts and opinions. And I go, again, you're a reporter. I don't care about your opinion. Report the news. Newsboy, this boy.
Speaker 2: I also that's why I still love them. What Will Salmon does.
Speaker 1: Will's the man.
Speaker 2: He's become such a great insider. He also has the backblock of working with David Stearns covering the Milwaukee beat when he was there, so it has a very unique perspective that many of us do not. I don't like anyone else actually does. I don't know anyone who's on the Milwaukee beat now.
Speaker 1: The Mets beat opportunity, I think, very unique opportunity for Will.
Speaker 2: The whole thing is just weird. I give another Harper's Hits just to basically close this out here.
Speaker 1: Talk talk about a reporter, John, that's a report. That's a reporter. That guy should be getting the first question every single time.
Speaker 2: Let's see, I can't wait to see this the question there was There were so many that it's hard to even.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the questions by media though, like again you have a I feel like the job is to report, not give your thoughts and opinions on what's going on, because again, who are you? And Harper after the game on Sunday asked the question that I was hoping someone would ask, was there a takes sign a round in ratio to take a strike after seeing nine straight balls? That's reporting because it was crazy.
Speaker 2: He didn't trying to get rion. Andy Green was asked about Mauricio popping up at the bases loaded in the eighth and the one oh pitch have to Kirkinge through nine straight balls. Gave an evasive answer, saying there were takes signs on the times for certain guys Green lights for others very show Walter like. Here was Green's answer, There were certain times when we had takes on today there are times and you want AGGRESSI up pitches that he should be able to handle, so different points in time there would takes, different points in time. We returned loose answer. Yeah, create nothing answer right there.
Speaker 1: It's uh, the Beat's hungry there after it and they guy, this is a great time for the Beat because Carlson is gonna start chirping at some point.
Speaker 2: I'm sure.
Speaker 1: I actually don't think he is.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: I think that's why people love him so much. I do think he's genuinely an awesome guy. There's nothing sure to lead you believe that carlsman Doz is a bad guy or anything like that. I just I don't think he was fit to manage the New York Mets. It was not the Roman, it was not the right job for him. He was not the right guy. The fit wasn't the best. There's a lot of moving pieces. He wasn't given the best scenario either. I think it waspecially this year, especially this year. I don't think he was given a fair hand by any means. But the job, the record is a reflection of his job, and the record's bad, so he's done a bad job. That's how it works in this sport. It's it's a performance based sport. You can't reward him because you like him as a person. Bill Parcels, you are what your record says you are. That's record says their dog shit. Yeah, Danny Green, you are who they thought they were.
Speaker 2: Third worst record than Baseball God Angels, ahead of the Man.
Speaker 1: I know, man that got angels Man fan so mad yesterday.
Speaker 2: And do we have anything else here before again tomorrow, guys, Mark and I are going to do a reaction video to the e C three podcast and neither of us have listened to in full.
Speaker 1: That is Eric Shaves his podcast, by the way, in case you were wondering, Eric Shapps, Yes, he has a podcast.
Speaker 2: The EC three podcasts. Yeah, I can't I cannot wait.
Speaker 1: I can't wait because I've seen the clips. It's crazy, it's insane already.
Speaker 2: I listened to the first ten minutes on two x SPED while I was prepping otherwise, and there was some juicy morsels in there. Give a little morsel real quick, just for the people. There was a story that one time he didn't run out of the groundball or going go hard the second base at double play, and he said Billy Beans with Billy Bean was waiting in the tunnel for him to chew them out in the middle of a game. The GM called him into his office and they show them clips with Derek g the're running hard.
Speaker 1: That's insane.
Speaker 2: Good morsel right there, and that one did not make it the social media, but we're we're gonna do the whole thing. I don't know how long it's gonna go because the EC three podcast was thirty something minutes. Maybe we listened to X to Eric.
Speaker 1: No, No, we're gonna win the whole going slow, pausing when it's time to speak, oh and slow, like a nice brisket.
Speaker 2: I mean, I feel like we're forgetting things. But now we're in. It's almost we got you close this out. We got to let people get out their day.
Speaker 1: We got to let people get on with their days. I like, at the end of the day, I think that my final takes on all of this will be this season is a lost season. We're now looking forward to what is going to be the twenty twenty seven Mets. We're trying to find who the pieces that are gonna stay here, who's gonna play what positions, Who's gonna do this, who's gonna do that? Coach yea, who's gonna coach? Is gonna be a big conversation. Shout at Albert pool Holes, he said, no harpers. David Ross also said he wants to be the Mets manager. So there are people who want to be. It's just guys who haven't gotten a job.
Speaker 2: I don't think I want to be the Mets manager.
Speaker 1: I want to be the Mets manager. I'm gonna throw me the me I'm officially throwing my hat in the ring. I want to be the Mets manager. Let the record show Mark Luiso wants to be the New York Mets manager.
Speaker 2: All right, I'll take that mess manager. I'm into that. Yeah, I'll take that job. I don't want you to be the manager. On the record, I don't want Mark to be the.
Speaker 1: Full shit, that's crazy. You should have seen the Milbourne eight U team that I led. And also I have a almost major leaguer that I coached for one game. Shout Joshkrooda grower, yeah grower, actual prospect, yeah, rip prospect. But uh, that's it. I got nothing else. Oh did I say my final stance?
Speaker 2: I know I think you just sorry? Yeah, yeah, it's fair.
Speaker 1: Team's a mess. This season is a lost season. Let's play for what we got in twenty twenty seven. Let's make a lot of trades and bring in some new guys. Basically everybody but the guys that you know should be available.
Speaker 2: For trade, Yes, basically every single one. And you're telling you guys promise trade down that stuff for promising prospect stuff. This kind of just kind of jumped to the front of the line. Yeah, that stuff will still come.
Speaker 1: It's the Mets are gonna trade everybody, so yeah, probably I got some Frankie though too. It's your Frankie. I'd loved I'd love to know what Frankie's got about this crazy weekend.
Speaker 2: So we could do some time traveling with Frankie because we didn't really do an actual series recap last week. So I have a fourteen second from Frankie that we never touched. This was after the Cup series. Yeah, this was just before the windows A firing. So then we're gonna go take a journey with Frankie.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's travel.
Speaker 2: There's number one Time traveling with Frankie Peppers. Tell this is Frankie Pepper Saint.
Speaker 7: This is the first episode of the Hot Sauce. Take Sauce with Frankie Peppers. My heart take is that we stink. Thank you, gentlemen, Happy Father's Day.
Speaker 2: Hot Takes, Hot Take Sauce with Frankie Peppers. That's that's extremely accurate. Off to a rollicking start. Now here's Frankie for forty more.
Speaker 3: Ain't doing more things change, the more they stay the same. Definitely more encouraging series, but the same result. I have a feeling that it's just going to be results the whole year, the remaining of what is left of this lost seasoned gentleman, and as we myer and yet another losing lost season gentlemen, I'd like to switch it up.
Speaker 2: I'd like you the ah tell me three things that you're grateful for. Okay, I'm grateful for I'm grateful for the metsed up show I am.
Speaker 3: I'm grateful for my ability to cook, and I'm grateful for Janlan brunts.
Speaker 2: And the right boys to take care. He took one of mine. Frank, you went three for three for me. Yeah, I mean, I'm grateful, mess up. I'm grateful for my cooking, and I'm very grateful for.
Speaker 1: Jails, Grateful for Jalen Brunson, grateful for one Soto, grateful for grateful for social media because those are our jobs that.
Speaker 2: I'm not really grateful for social media, but right now it's one of those moments, right I just can't pull myself for Wow, it's addicting.
Speaker 1: Grateful for our friendsdayhout out again again.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be a nice, fun week. Grateful for air conditioning this week, everyone be really careful in New York City. The heathen decks can get to one hundred and ten brown out alert. Yeah, oh god, freaking this is great. Better not better, not die on us.
Speaker 1: Great.
Speaker 2: Grateful for great women in our lives, of course, the best. Always grateful for them. My family had Grateful for the World Cup.
Speaker 1: That's keep my mind off the metal little bit right, Yeah, World Cup. I'm going to the game on Tuesday for France Sweden. Come say what's up. Grateful, Grateful for Mets up in the audience, one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Grateful for all of you guys. Like Mark just said, this is the best. I'm grateful for every baseball game the Mets don't play in. Oh god, I love watching this.
Speaker 1: I love watching other teams play baseball. It's really really a blast.
Speaker 2: I love watching the teams playa Grateful for fantasy baseball, having a good fantasy season despite the Mets being terrible. Okay, it's keeping me locked in. Grateful for Jared Young.
Speaker 1: Of course, how could you not be grateful for Jared Young.
Speaker 2: Grateful for Carson benj and Ajewing as well, grateful for the Fourth of July. I can't wait for fourth of July. Barbeview Fireworks two fifty USA. Can't wait Big Party of the Giano House.
Speaker 1: You can't wait. All right, that's it. Thank you guys for listening, Thank you for watching. Subscribe to mets up over on YouTube. If you're listening to US Apple podcasts, Spotify, Google drops a ring, drops review download, subscribe getting Big premiere tomorrow Big Time EC three podcast Live Watch. Might be the only people on the planet that's doing that, so I don't even know if he's watched his own podcast, but we are, so make sure you are subscribed to you don't miss out on that. You can follow James on social media at Jameshan. I'm drafting Mark. Catch guys next time.
Speaker 2: Peace Out, sarcast comets