Speaker 1: A quick warning this story contains adult themes and strong language. February nineteen ninety nine, Auckland, New Zealand. It's six am in the beachside suburb of Herne Bay, a quiet summer morning. Most of the residents of Marine Parade are still asleep, but one is up, bright and early.
Speaker 2: I was a cyclist, and a very amateur cyclist, stretching the lycra on and going out for an early morning ride to beat the traffic jams.
Speaker 1: That's Greg Buckley from number forty.
Speaker 3: I do that three or four times a week.
Speaker 1: And it's a beautiful day for a bike ride. Greg wheels his bike down the driveway.
Speaker 2: I saw all these cars packed up there, and another one's pulling up at the same time.
Speaker 1: Slowly, four five, six cars creep up the road and park outside his neighbour's bungalow, number forty two, the home of Evelyn Burton and Lilah Andre. Evelyn's still fast asleep, but the noises outside have woken Lilah. She's considering going to have a look at what's going on. When Lilah knows instinctively what's happening. The only people who knock like that are the police.
Speaker 4: So are we out there? And I see hello.
Speaker 1: The detectives at the door are in plain clothes. They ask her if her name is Lila andre Yes said to me, then is Evelyn Burton home issues in bed?
Speaker 4: They say, you better get her up and get her dressed.
Speaker 1: The police are already inside their home. They come in four, one after the other after the other, pour into their bungalow. Lilah and Evelyn's pugs look on bewildered. Next door at number forty, Catherine and Greg are lapping it up.
Speaker 5: So Greg comes rushing big and it's it's happening, It's happening, this is it, this is it, And I'm sure they are all cops outside.
Speaker 3: Their time is up, you know, they've been sussed out.
Speaker 5: And sort of scuttled down to the street and just peered around the corner. I could see all the cars and then start to see people carrying boxes out.
Speaker 2: Other detectors were rushing around the house, grabbing documents and taking photos and things.
Speaker 5: It's like, wow, it's happened.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, at the center of the action, Lilah sees her face. She recognizes a face she didn't expect to see at all.
Speaker 4: She came in the door and I looked at her and as soon, why did you do that?
Speaker 1: It's Evelyn's most recent victim, the woman from the local lesbian group. She's invested fifty seven thousand New Zealand dollars into Evelyn's latest scheme. That's about sixty five thousand US dollars today. And what did she say?
Speaker 4: Ihing just look at me.
Speaker 1: And with that, Lilah and Evelyn are handcuffed and led to a police.
Speaker 3: Car, and then they were taken off and all was quiet.
Speaker 1: And on Marine Parade life returns to normal. The birds sing and the sun shines. But I'm sure there's one question you're asking above all else. Who on earth is going to look after the pugs from usg Audio Blanchard House? And exactly right, Media, this is royal swindle. I'm Becky Milligan. Episode six, Bonehead, Saint Albans, England. Detective Constable Jim Frost has no idea what's just played. Eleven thousand miles away. He still hasn't a clue where Evelyn and Lila are, but the evidence against them just keeps building, and Jim has just made one hell of a discovery.
Speaker 6: There was one small piece of evidence which probably sums up the case or Evelyn's defrauding almost better than anything else.
Speaker 1: It's a contract, one of dozens promising spectacular returns, all fake, of course, but this contract is special, very special, because it could help Jim put Evelyn away for good. On this contract there's a space for the name of Evelyn's investor, but instead of a company or named individual, Evelyn has written bonehead, bonehead. Jim has hit the jackpot.
Speaker 6: I thought, what a fantastic piece of evidence, because that's clearly what she thinks about the people she's going to take money from.
Speaker 1: Jim knows that this document will go down very well in court. As Jim Frost gathers his witness statements, the Horsey set keep replaying everything that's happened over and over in their heads, all their conversations with Evelyn and Lilah.
Speaker 7: Now they were dreadful, The pair of them were dreadful.
Speaker 1: Trying to recall the warning signs that our duo weren't who they said they were. Marjorie Ramsey remembers one meeting in particular.
Speaker 7: And they were in what they called the pentas and what I would call the attic of this hotel.
Speaker 1: And one detail sticks out.
Speaker 7: There was a tread and on the tray were pink donuts with spreckles on it.
Speaker 1: I think she means sprinkles.
Speaker 7: And I thought that was very odd for a millionaires.
Speaker 1: Francis Hutchinson tells Jim Frost. The warning sign for her was a call from her local bank manager, who'd also crossed paths with Evelyn. He said to me, I think you will see some money, but I'm not sure you're going to see this very large volume of money that Evelyn is talking about. Lucille and Larry also keep going over and over their meetings with the pair. Remember they sold their Arab Philly to Evelyn to start her new stud farm. When the money failed to materialize, Evelyn's excuses became more and more bizarre.
Speaker 4: I'm terribly sorry, she said, I've been tied up buying a bank in Germany.
Speaker 7: Well I actually laughed because I thought she was joking.
Speaker 1: But it turns out Lucille and Larry are the lucky ones. They tell Detective Jim Frost. They'd called Evelyn's bluff, threatened to expose her, and guess what.
Speaker 7: We did get the money in the bank At four o'clock.
Speaker 1: How much was it this?
Speaker 4: Fifteen thousand pounds?
Speaker 1: The testimonies are all adding up to a very compelling case against the Aussie couple, but Jim Frost still has one small problem. Evelyn and Lilah have gone awall and he's worried that they might be gone for good.
Speaker 6: There's that fear so you might not get them back.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, in Auckland, the police car carrying Lila and Evelyn sweeps into the back lot of the police station. They're led inside to the custody sergeant. Our duo are separated and taken to different cells, where each of them sit and wait on the hard bench with nothing to look at but to stainless steel toilet. Lila and Evelyn have been on the run for four years, fleeing Australia, America, then Canada and the UK. Now their past has finally caught up with them. The mice are finally caught in the trap.
Speaker 4: There were so many things, so many things in my head then, and it was all swirling around. It was like back one of those cartoon engine you see the birds going around. You know, I don't know, I just I just couldn't understand what had happened.
Speaker 1: Lilah can't believe it. Things couldn't possibly get worse, could they.
Speaker 4: They did something up there with eleven thousand pays of charges against evoln and I.
Speaker 1: I mean, eleven thousand is probably a slight exaggeration, but the only thing Lila hears is that there are charges against her, and that just can't be. Lila has always made it clear this isn't her business. What Evelyn does has nothing to do with her. It's all Evelyn.
Speaker 4: I said, Well, I don't know what because I wasn't involved in any of these, which I wasn't.
Speaker 1: Lilah is mystified and can't fathom why their victim didn't just have a quiet word with them instead of running to the police. Were you angry?
Speaker 4: I was angry, But if she had come to me and said something about this, then I could have said, don't worry, I will do something to get your money back.
Speaker 1: It's too late now Evelyn and Live are charged with fraud and things are about to get even worse, but they're not going down without a fight. Meanwhile, back on Marine Parade in New Zealand, the Bucklers are reeling from the Dawn raid.
Speaker 5: Oh I couldn't wait to get to work. Tell you, it didn't do much for that first hour at work as I did the circuit of the office, going oh my god, it's happened all.
Speaker 1: Evelyn and Lilah's arrest is big news.
Speaker 2: It wasn't normally like your parties and swinging in the neighborhood in late nights.
Speaker 5: Does it make us sound pathetic that it was the most exciting thing to have ever happened in anighborhood Because it was.
Speaker 1: Days go by and Evelyn and Lilah don't return. The Buckleys keep an eye out for their neighbors at number forty two, But as days into weeks and weeks turn into months, there's no movement from the bungalow next door. Then one day Kevin appears again, Lilah and Evelyn's landlord. He's come to check on the house.
Speaker 5: And he came springing over and said, come and have a look at this. And Greg wasn't home and missed it. He never got to see it.
Speaker 1: Catherine follows Kevin through the front door, through the hallway, past the master bedroom until they arrive at the door of another room.
Speaker 5: There's this other bedroom at the back corner of the house quite sort of dark and shady.
Speaker 1: Then the big reveal, Kevin flings open the door.
Speaker 5: And it was set up as an essen m parlor. I believe never been to one before, but it looked like a pretty professional setup to.
Speaker 3: Me work from home.
Speaker 1: Yes, Catherine is stunned. She looks around and takes it all.
Speaker 5: In the picture now that I always remember still is the whip sort of hanging in a lovely pattern on the wall, all sort of draped nicely. And then there were a couple of things hang off the ceiling, and I have to say I was in shock.
Speaker 1: Not really Catherine's style. But then something catches her eye from the corner of the room, and then there.
Speaker 5: Was a wreck of the most gorgeous clothes.
Speaker 1: Madame Xavierra's finest garments, leather, patent, leather platform boots, spikes.
Speaker 5: And then there were a few sort of costumes that were somewhat more on the goly scale of things, little fluffy dresses and you know, nurses outfits, and it really was cliche city. It was breathtaking.
Speaker 1: Lilah and Evely and two residents of Marine Parade who will live in infamy.
Speaker 5: Oh and we still talk about it, so then we go.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't believe what their neighbors did. You know, it's a good party story.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, in England, Detective Constable Jim Frost steps up his efforts to locate our OSSes.
Speaker 6: We have to try and trace them, he.
Speaker 1: Throws the net wider and wider.
Speaker 6: Speaking to airlines, whether they've used their passports anywhere. We're speaking to people that they know, and you just keep looking until you find them.
Speaker 1: Jim thinks there has to be some logic behind their decision, behind where they'd go next. He needs to get inside the heads of Evelyn Burton and Lilah Andre.
Speaker 6: We thought straight away that they would only flee to a country that spoke English, because they, as far as we knew, had no foreign language. And I was convinced that wherever Evelyn went, she would need to commit fraud to live, and to commit fraud, she would need to speak to English people.
Speaker 1: An English speaking country. So that narrows it down to only about seventy countries. Where would Evelyn go? Which country would she choose?
Speaker 6: Well, we were confident that she would not go to America, because she'd fled from America in the first place. She'd also been to Canada during the trips, and our information was that she had possibly fallen foul of people there as well. We were fairly confident she wouldn't go back to Australia because we were told that she was wanted there.
Speaker 1: It's a process of elimination.
Speaker 6: So in the English speaking world, where was she left? South Africa? New Zealand, New Zealand.
Speaker 1: Could it be New Zealand? It feels promising a viable option, far enough away to start over, not to mention a lovely place to retire. It makes sense. Jim thinks. He puts in a call and tells the New Zealand cops that if our two Ozzes crossed their radar, Jim would love to know. And sure enough, one day, as if the universe is smiling on him, the stars aligne.
Speaker 6: We were contacted by New Zealand.
Speaker 1: A call from a police department in Auckland who have in their custody Miss Evelyn Burton and Mess Lilah Andre. It's as if all Jim's birthdays have come at once, But Jim can't say he's surprised.
Speaker 6: As we had suspected a straightaway got into committing fraud and they got caught very quickly.
Speaker 1: Jim has finally found Evelyn and she's in jail. She can't go anywhere. It's the perfect catch for more reasons than one.
Speaker 6: I'm going to be entirely honest with you. All policemen love the prospect of the possibility of foreign travel.
Speaker 1: Catch the baddies and get a holiday while you're at it. It's a win win for Detective Jim Frost. All the official paperwork is done and the New Zealand authorities agree to allow Jim to extradite Lilah and Evelyn back to the UK. Everything is falling into place very nicely. Jim sits at the piano and reflects on his triumph as his fingers glide across the keys. He can't wait for his trip down under. February nineteen ninety nine, Auckland District Court. Evelyn and Lilah are led into the dock. It's their first appearance and they've dressed down for the occasion in jeans, trainer's, long, untucked shirts, and no makeup. It's not Lila's usual look, but she's still flashing her show stopping smile. Evelyn's short gray hair is pushed back by a pair of reading glasses on the top of her head, and her expression is really serious. The clerk of the court asks the duo how they plead to the charge of fraud. Not guilty, they say, But then a shock they're told about another problem that the British police are onto them. Evelyn knows it must be Detective Jim Frost, whom she last saw eleven thousand miles away in Saint Alban's police station. Over by that photograph of her Majesty, Evelyn drifts off momentarily and recalls her encounter with the Queen at the Royal Windsor Horse Show. What a day that was, and then she snaps back to the courtroom. To their horror, Evelyn and Lilah are told that the British police want to extradite them back to the UK. Bloody Jim Frost thinks Evelyn and the cherry on the cake. Jim's requested the New Zealand authorities keep them in custody. Evelyn and Lilah are flight risk. That could be Jim's biggest understatement yet. The case is adjourned and Evelyn and Lilah are led out of the dock to a prison vehicle waiting outside the court. As they clamber into the van and sit on the hard plastic seats, they mul over their next move and Evelyn makes Lila a promise. This isn't over. Mount Eden Prison is their new residence. They couldn't be further from Marine Parade now, and it's certainly not the Berkley Hotel. Here the service is not impeccable, but Lila is adaptable. Just as she warmed to life on Marine Parade, she adapts to life at Mount Eden.
Speaker 4: I loved it. You liked it. Nice people, Yeah, I met a lovely quilt with the girls. We wrote a magazine. I went to the Bible study group.
Speaker 1: Yes, Bible study.
Speaker 7: I was telling a good time. I mean I was huge.
Speaker 1: Good food then deep.
Speaker 4: Fried everything cakes every day.
Speaker 7: Lovely.
Speaker 1: Lilah and Evelyn are settling into their new lives, and Evelyn's even giving legal advice to her fellow inmates.
Speaker 4: Even started telling them what they should say to their lawyers and how they should say it. She really really helped the girls a lot, and that was her main interest at that.
Speaker 1: Time, always looking out for women for her girls. Old habits die hard.
Speaker 4: You know, we were Mam and Day or Auntie and Uncle man Pa.
Speaker 7: They called us too.
Speaker 1: Evelyn also starts penning a novel, a racy lesbian porn thriller. Actually, I've read some of it and it's very graphic, set in a brothel with two very charismatic madams. Unfamiliar. But it's not as easy breezy as it sounds. There are bad days too, because Evelyn's not in a good way. She's never recovered from that tummy tuck that went wrong.
Speaker 4: She was a very sick woman who was put into jail to serve a sentence. Okay, she may have deserved it, but the one thing they shouldn't have done was put her in jail. They shouldn't because she still needed medical attention.
Speaker 1: And to make matters worse, As much as she tries to hide it, Lyina is still a bit angry at Evelyn, Angry that they've been caught, Angry that they've ended up in jail, Angry that Evelyn has broken her promise to her.
Speaker 4: Why didn't you tell me? Why couldn't you confide in me?
Speaker 1: So the problem here seems to be this, Evelyn's not said enough to Lilah, but has said too much to everyone else.
Speaker 4: I always said that to evyone, from the very first day a mirror, you talk too much.
Speaker 1: And nine months later, in December nineteen ninety nine, it's as if all of Evelyn's talking, her boasting, her billy big talk, comes back and bites her in the backside. We're back at Auckland District Court. It's a big day and it isn't an easy one. Evelyn has tried every trick in the book to get her and Lilah out of this fix, but no matter how hard they fight, they can see no way out. Lilah and Evelyn are led into the dock and told to stand. Evelyn is asked how she pleads to the charge of fraud. Remember it's that fifty seven thousand New Zealand dollars she stole from the woman in the lesbian social group. Now Evelyn pleads guilty, The judge sentences her to six months in prison, time she's already served, and then dismisses all the charges against Lilah. Now, normally that would be good news they'd both be free to go, but not our to Ozziz, because they still face a long, long journey eleven thousand miles in fact, Lilah and Evelyn face extradition. Oh and if you're wondering what happened to Evelyn and Lilah's pugs, well don't worry. They weren't extradited. One of the marine parade neighbors came to the rescue until a friend of Evelyn's provided them with a more permanent home. What a relief. January the fourteenth, two thousand. It's a cold winter's day, bitterly cold enough to make you shiver. Detective Jim Frost steps onto a plane at London Heathrow Airport, and one day later steps off the plane in Auckland, where it's the height of summer.
Speaker 6: I will see. I was excited. I've never been to New Zealand and it was yeah, this is great.
Speaker 1: He's booked a few days off to enjoy himself. Well, why not, he deserves it. But after letting his hair down, he sorts out the remaining paperwork and heads off to collect Evelyn and Lilah. A moment he's really going to relish. He's smiling already. January two thousand, mounted in prison Auckland, New Zealand. The heavy doors of the prison slowly open and Lilah and Evelyn emerge from the shadows into a sizzling hot day. It's the closest thing to freedom that they felt in nearly a year, but they're far from free and far from alone. They're met by the media, paparazzi cameras flashing, snapping away in New Zealand. They're headline news. Lilah, her long red hair tied back into a plat, has gray roots. Now she's wearing baggy striped trousers, and Evelyn is hobbling along beside her in a denim shirt. They squint in the sunshine, and then a large shadow falls over them. It's been a while since Evelyn last saw him, two years. She hoped she'd never see him again, believed she'd never see him again. She was convinced she'd outwitted him, but he's never given up. Jim puts her hand on Evelyn's shoulder and grins. He's been waiting a very long time for this day. You've been listening to Royal Swindle at Blanchard House production for usg Audio in partnership with Exactly Right Media, Hosted by me Becky Milligan. It's written and produced by Me Becky Milligan and Sarah Jones. Original music is by Daniel Lloyd Evans, Louis Nagmanell and Toby Mattimon. Sound design and mixed engineering is by Vulcan Kiseltog, Toby Mattimoon and Daniel Lloyd Evans. Story development by Duncan Barber. The managing producer is Amka Schortino Nolan. Production support from Josh la Longi at USG Audio. The creative director at Blanchard House is Rosie Pye. The executive producer and Head of Content at Blanchard House is Lawrence Grisell. Our executive producer from USG Audio is Josh Block