Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Made it to a Friday. It's a meat Friday. At that come on in. Everybody's here, including Fritzie Case. You're wondering what's on the trigger today? French dip sandwiches, smoked macaroni salad, sweet potato fries.
Speaker 2: Who has it better than we do? Nobody?
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 4: Also, music Friday. The theme to Music Friday is what Marvin.
Speaker 5: I get ready, everybody, it's teams from the city for bands from the city that you think Otani is going? To say that five times.
Speaker 4: And we'll try it again, Marvin, what's the music theme today for Friday?
Speaker 5: Bands from the city that you think shohe Otani is going to? Okay, So if you think he's going to the Blue Jays, you play Drake or some forty one. Okay.
Speaker 4: If San Francisco there's a lot of Bay Area bad Journey, Yeah, you could have Journey, Creeden's Clearwater, Steve Miller ban all right. Uh so the Chicago Cubs if you think he's going there. Los Angeles there's a lot of bands there as well.
Speaker 5: Orange County.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but Paulie said that he thinks show Atani's going to the Dodgers, therefore his musical act has to be from Los Angeles. But Paulie, of course is a diehard Rush fan and Rush Getty Lee is a big Toronto Blue Jay fan. Missed a golden opportunity.
Speaker 6: Oh that's gonna hault me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I would rather fake pick Toronto to go with Rush. I should have wear it my head.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: Stat of the Day brought to you by Patini America, the official trading cards of this program. I want to thank our partners King Swaiian Nice Buns every Sunday Slider Sunday. I'm going to make a declaration here and uh, I didn't think I was going to say this, but I'm going to say this. The moonshine that we have available right now, the Peppermint Bark, is the best moonshine that we've made so far. Nope, you know what, I thought it was salted caramel. I had the Peppermint Bark yesterday. In fact, I had it twice because I wanted to make sure. And it's the best moonshine that we have made so far in my opinion. It's available at Danpatrick dot com. Yes, I've heard others backing that up. Okay, it's getting rave reviews so far.
Speaker 2: As it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you can go to Danpatrick dot com order it. Get it in time for the holidays. Great to have a Christmas party and serve some tailgate moonshine. All right, poll question, Play of the day, stat of the day. We check in with the Dallas Cowboys a little bit later on. Gronk will join us Rob Gronkowski a little later on. Also, Brandal Shambley of the Golf Channel give us his opinion on John Ram taking the money and running to live tour. We'll talk about that coming up. Also, Army Navy coming up this Saturday. Patriots hold off the Steelers. If you're a Patriots fan and you're watching that game, you may want to watch with pride that, hey, let's just look good in a standalone game, even if we lose. Let's be competitive, let's have some offense for a change, and then all of a sudden, you're getting offense and you're winning and you're ruining your draft position.
Speaker 2: That's how I would feel if I was a Patriot fan.
Speaker 4: Like, all right, Bailey, zappy, nice touchdown, Another touchdown, that's three touchdown Hey, ease up there, Bailey Zappy, Who do you think you are?
Speaker 2: Tom Brady?
Speaker 4: Then you have the Steelers a couple of weeks ago, you're seven and four, you got Arizona at home, and you got the Patriots.
Speaker 2: You're nine and four, you're going to go to the playoffs.
Speaker 4: Next thing you know, you're seven and six and you might not be going to the playoffs. It got booed certain fan bases that may not boo as much as other fan bases, Saint Louis Cardinal fans. I don't really when maybe the Steeler fans, you know, they're spoiled because they've usually been treated to really good teams. But they were booing Mitchell Trubisky last night. I don't know if there was any Matt Canada chance since they fired their offensive coordinator because he seemed to be the problem. But now they're seven and six. By the way, the Patriots are the first team this season to have multiple quarterbacks throw three touchdowns in a game. Mac Jones did this in Week one, and of course Bailey Zappi last night. Now you would think that's an odd stat because if you're good enough to throw three touchdown passes in a game. You're probably the starting quarterback, but Mac Jones lost his job. Bailey Zapi comes in throws through three scores. So here are the Steelers lost at home to Arizona and New England. Second team in history to lose back to back home games to teams with ten plus losses going into the game, and the first team with the winning record to do so.
Speaker 7: Day Stana day stand outa day, scant outa day. This is the stand of the day.
Speaker 4: So you would think Bill Belichick standalone game. He would be really pumped up after a win like that, and you would be correct.
Speaker 8: Happy for a team, happy for the coaches. Like I said, it was a short week. I'm much sleep this week, but they put a lot into it and it's very satisfying to see the results that we had today.
Speaker 4: That's kind of bordering on excitement that he did nunciate. I could make out every word he said, and he didn't just go you know, I was going to win for the coaches and I'm just happy to to make sure we.
Speaker 3: What was that?
Speaker 6: Bill?
Speaker 2: He's the guest picker for Army Navy coming up this weekend.
Speaker 4: He loves that. I'm guessing since he's a Navy guy. His guest picking is going to be the Naval Academy. I don't think that would be a big surprise since he grew up in that environment. Mike Tomlin, Steve Deeler's head coach. Here's the question and then his answer.
Speaker 6: Where do you guys go here?
Speaker 5: What is the direction?
Speaker 2: We get ready for our next opportunity next week? That's what we all always do. Obviously this stings, but we'll be back. Okay.
Speaker 4: All he does is produce winning records, does that every year and still might do that. But boy, that was a golden opportunity. You have Arizona at home, you have New England at home, and you lose both of those in a very competitive division there in the AFC North All right, eight seven, seven to three DP Show operator Tyler is standing by to take your phone calls. Seaton Pole. Question for hour one is going to be, well, we could start with Bill Belichick and the Patriots. Is Bill Belichick happy the Patriots won last night? Heck yeah or heck no. Well, if he's going to be there next year, then maybe privately you're not. But you know, if you're a Patriot fan and you want to get a great draft pick. You'd like to be in the top two so you get a franchise potential, franchise quarterback. Bill Belichick just wants to win, trying to set the all time record for victories. And if he's coaching after this, maybe in another place, then he'll probably look back and say, you know, got a couple of victories there that was great, and I don't know how many he's behind Don Shula. What is he still like twelve fourteen away if we can check that with his victory total, yeah, pauling.
Speaker 6: The draft order as of today, the Bears are still clear with Carolina's pick. They could afford a win by Carolina and the Bears still get the number one pick. New England is three and ten have the number two pick of the draft. Arizonas three and ten have number three pick of the draft. That strength of schedule, if the Caroline I'm sorry, if New England wins one more game, they go into that list with four and eighteens, four and nine teams, and it could be anywhere. It could be anywhere from four to nine they could be picking.
Speaker 4: According to DraftKings this morning, the Patriots over under for wins this season four and a half, Panthers over under two and a half, Cardinals over under four and a half, the Giants over under four and a half, the Jets over under five and a half.
Speaker 2: Static the day of the day that best. I don't know why I was trying to make it so dramatic there, but here comes that stat of the day.
Speaker 4: It just feels like that last game of the season. Bill Belichick, all if they lose this game, they could end up with the second pick in the draft. They're facing the Jets and the Patriots win. Bill's exit is there, you go, Good luck trying to find a franchise quarterback. You're not going to have one of the top two picks. Good night, everybody. Yes, Tom, Looking at three.
Speaker 5: Forty seven and three point thirty two, that suggests Belichick as fifteen.
Speaker 2: Fifteen minutes behind. Okay, thank you? All right?
Speaker 4: Any other poll questions you're thinking about today, they're seat noe punter.
Speaker 9: Okay, of course? All right, how about this one. We haven't really hit on this topic yet today. How much more interested are you in live golf now that John ram is on board?
Speaker 2: Very slightly or not? Really? Is there snark attention to that?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 9: I think it's a real question. Okay, I know that. For me, I was just like, uh, don't really care. But for other people, this was a seismic shift in golf. It was a massive, massive move. It had been rumored for a while.
Speaker 4: I don't know if if John ram is playing and in contention, then I do want to watch that, because he's a great golfer. But I don't watch a tournament going as John Rahm in this He's got two majors. You know, he got an offer he couldn't refuse, and and good for him. No, I have a problem when you have a problem with the format of live but then you're going to get this money. You don't have a problem with the format of the live tour. If the live tour played four rounds, that's all I care about. I mean, I watched the DP World Tour. I watch LPGA play four rounds. That's all I'm asking. If you do that, then great, I'd love to watch that. But you play three rounds, no cut, You have teams, you get to wear shorts, and you play loud music. It's not interesting. But I'm interested in those great players. And then you have Taylor Gooch, who is on the Live Tour who comes out and says, you know, maybe those naysayras will realize we have great players on the Live Tour. Nobody ever said that, Taylor, and you're not one of the great players. No one said you don't have good players on the Live Tour. We would like to see those players play the same kind of events, the same length as the PGA Tour. If you said, I can watch Brooks, Brooks, Koepka and Bryson Deshamba go head to head, or Bubba or Phil Great play four rounds, play grown up golf, not Hey, this is so wild. We're playing three rounds or in shorts. Yes, and we're playing loud music. Oh my gosh, this is crazy.
Speaker 2: And there's music.
Speaker 4: Yeah, John Ram going there. I don't know what it means, but you know, keep in mind with in fairness to genreme, the PGA Tour went behind the PGA Tour's back to negotiate with Livetour. You know, Rory was out there dying on the hill, you know, talking and John Ram. They stood up for the PGA Tour and then all of a sudden, the PGA Tour didn't stand up for them. They made a deal. I don't I don't begrudged John rom from taking that money general wealth, but just tell me you're doing it for that, don't say you know what I'm looking and I really like what they do and you know, doing some different things there. No, you didn't like this before, John, Now you do take the money. It's generational wealth. I understand it. I don't begrudge you at all. And what happened when you stood up for the PGA tour, I get it. But is there a price tag for everybody?
Speaker 2: There is?
Speaker 4: There's a price tag. John found out that Live would meet his price. I don't know why they're spending that money if they're eventually going to merge, But this is all you want to do. A golfer who I know said this to me last night. All we want to do is play in the majors. And if you're good enough to play for the Ryder Cup, that's all you care about the other stuff.
Speaker 2: You're going to make all that money.
Speaker 4: Maybe nobody's watching, but you get to play in the majors, that's all you care about.
Speaker 2: And if you get to play in the.
Speaker 4: In the Ryder Cup, and the Ryder Cup is very important to John h and he's going to be able to play in these majors.
Speaker 2: He's got a US Open and a Master's. That's all they care about, you.
Speaker 4: Know, they're the John Deere Classic or you know some of these other events. I mean, yeah, you're required to play in a certain number of events, but you know, when it comes down to what are you judged on majors? Not how many wins you have on tour, John, I think as eleven wins on tour. But I don't know if it changes anything. I'm still going to watch a golf event and if those guys aren't in it. I watched golf all the time, but I don't go, yeah, where's Bubba, Where's Brooks Koepka? Now when they play, I enjoy it, but they're not, So I just appreciate the golf that's played in front of me. Is John Rahm going to make me go I gotta find that live Tour event? And the answer is no. But if he is playing, and maybe it's a bigger it's global, maybe Spanish fans will care that John is now on the Live Tour.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but I.
Speaker 4: Don't begrudge him. Here is John Rahm talking about the decision to go to live.
Speaker 10: The money is great, obviously, is wonderful, But what I've said before is true. I do not play golf for the money. I play golf for the love of the game and for the love of golf. But as a husband, as a father, and as a family man, I have a duty to my family to give them the best opportunities and the most amount of resources possible.
Speaker 2: And that's where that comes in.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 10: Obviously, it is a factor, and it was an important one obviously in this decision, but there's many other things like I mentioned earlier that make it so exciting.
Speaker 4: Okay, you took the money, yet they met your price. You took the money, good for you. But if you tell me it's about golf, you're not playing real golf on livetur That's my problem with it. You want to play real golf and it means something to you.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 4: I love seeing his emotion. I love that he has spirit and he cares and it matters, But you're not playing real golf. Live is manufactured. Three rounds, no cut yay, no drama, that's what they have.
Speaker 2: No drama, yes time, yeah.
Speaker 5: But it's evolved and there's all kinds of new innovation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, at least that's what John Ram is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I believe, you know, if they were drinking, then maybe I would watch with their you know, wearing shorts, loud music and everybody had to shoot a beer every every hole. All right, now, there that's something at least entertaining. But it's not real. That's what I always come back to himself. John Ram is going to live to her? Anybody else going to follow? What's that do for the merger?
Speaker 2: A mess? I A mess? All right, let me take a break. We'll settle on a pole. Question.
Speaker 4: Phone calls are always welcome eight seven to seven, three DP show. Congrats to the Pacers and Lakers. They'll meet for the championship the end season tournament. The Lakers say they won't raise a banner if I'm the Pacers. Hell yes, back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 11: Hey it's Ben, host of the Fifth Hour with Ben Maller. Would mean a lot to have you join us on our weekly auditory journey. You're asking, what in God's name is the Fifth Hour. I'll tell you it's a spin off of it. Ben Mather Show a cult hit overnights on FSR. Why should you listen? Picture if you will a world will We chat with captains of industry in media, sports and more every week explore some amazing facts about human nature and more. Listen to The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast or wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: Marv Bloop Okay, this is mine. Okay, why did you pick this?
Speaker 5: Because I think he's going to the Dodgers. Okay? On fact House of Pain not from Boston.
Speaker 6: That just blew my mind.
Speaker 4: By the way, I didn't know there was a debate.
Speaker 5: Well, so if you watch the Hause of Pain video, Yeah, everlast, the lead rapper, I guess, has a you know jersey on Larry Bird Jersey. You're out of Saint Patrick's Day Parade. Oh and it's got you know a lot of Boston in it. But those guys are from Los Angeles.
Speaker 6: So I made a second source on this one.
Speaker 5: Everybody thinks they're from Boston. Yep.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, all right, fair enough, all right, Age seven seven three DP show email address DPA Dan Patrick dot com Twitter handling TP show. It's a coming out party for Tyrese Halliburton, just to let you know. It's almost like he spent a couple of years to become an overnight sensation. He's out of Oshkosh, Wisconsin, goes to Iowa State, has a good career, and he's drafted I think eleventh or twelfth by the Sacramento Kings. And I noticed him as rookie year just because I tend to watch watch the teams that I don't think other people are watching, and I go, this guy's got a funky shot, but he's good.
Speaker 2: And then all of a sudden he got traded.
Speaker 4: Now, all of a sudden, every analyst is telling me that they thought that he should have gone to another team, and another team should have wanted him.
Speaker 2: And I don't think anybody thought anything about.
Speaker 4: Tyrese Haliburton when he goes to the Pacers, because Sabonis goes to Sacramento and it was like, hey, the King's got Sabonis. Nobody said, hey, the Pacers got Haliburton. Well, he is good, maybe bordering on very good, maybe great. He's my Shay gilgis Alexander this year and what they're doing. The Pacers score, and here they are playing the Lakers for the n season Tournament. But everybody knew Tyre's Halliburton was.
Speaker 2: Going to be great.
Speaker 4: I was like, okay, all right, took a couple of years, but now I'm finding out. Steven A last night, prior to the game, I told you the Nick should have taken him.
Speaker 2: I said the Nick should have taken them, all right.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna believe you. I don't remember anybody being demonstrative about Tyrese.
Speaker 5: Haliburt Tyrese Halliburton.
Speaker 4: And then Shaq is on interviewing Tyrese Halliburton and his dad, and Shaq goes, I'm paraphrasing. I bet he was like, you might be my favorite player right now.
Speaker 2: And then he called him by the wrong name.
Speaker 4: He said something, and then Ernie jumped in and you know, maybe it was Tyson and he called him Tyree.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, Tyre's, you might be my favorite player, Tyson. No, it's Tyres Haliburton.
Speaker 4: But he is h He's bawling out, as the kids like to say, and putting up some pretty impressive numbers. But the Pacers beat the Bucks last night to advance to the finals. They're averaging one hundred and thirty two point seven points per game during the n season tournament. They're averaging one twenty eight point four overall this season. Both are most in the NBA, and Haliburton had twenty seven and fifteen in his six in season tournament games. Only the Joker with the thirty two ten is averaging better than what he is, and he's averaging almost twenty nine and thirteen.
Speaker 2: And a half assists.
Speaker 4: It's good. You know, I'm happy for the Pacers. And if the Pacers beat the Lakers, you want to put up a banner, go ahead, Hell, yes, you got room, you got the whole ceiling. Maybe there's some ABA banners in there. Or when you went to the NBA finals once.
Speaker 9: Yes, Yes, if I owned a team, I would absolutely do stupid stuff like that, like let's go bannernight, we want it, Summer League, let's go T shirts hats.
Speaker 2: I'd have a parade.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't that be great as an in season parade for the Pacers.
Speaker 6: Gotta be short because they got to get back to work.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: December and Indiana, Yeah, come on, everybody, come on.
Speaker 3: Come on, good time.
Speaker 6: Come I'm in.
Speaker 2: I would have.
Speaker 4: I would have a celebratory parade, absolutely, yes, Mark, Like.
Speaker 5: Oh, the Nicks made a huge mistake by trading Obie Top and I can't even believe it. They won. The NC isn't turning me?
Speaker 2: How many pacers can you name? Current? Can you name.
Speaker 5: Bruce Brown? Okay, Obie? Maybe I shouldn't do this.
Speaker 2: Yo, you're yeah, you're pretty well versed in this.
Speaker 6: Yes, I did see Buddy Heal last night. Yeah, I heard he was on the Pacers, but I confirmed it last night.
Speaker 4: It feels like every year Buddy Heald's name comes up as maybe Lakers go out and get Buddy Healed.
Speaker 2: They could use it.
Speaker 4: A guy like Buddy Heal's they never get, but they need a guy like Buddy Heel still do Yeah, Buddy Heel so a coming out party for Tyrese Haliburton and watches Jumper though it drives me crazy.
Speaker 2: It's got a.
Speaker 4: Side and then a snap to it, like Shawn Marion. No, no, no, Seawn Marion's he shot from his belt buckle. He like a little whatever. It was Halliburton. You know it would if I would have known him growing up, I'd be like, dude, I got to help you.
Speaker 2: Change your shot.
Speaker 6: And if we have him in studios, yeah, I would.
Speaker 2: Tell him that.
Speaker 4: I would just say, tell me, help me understand how you ended up with this release because it's a side in a snap.
Speaker 5: Yes, Ray Allen's wondering how many more points you would have had if it would have gotten your advice years ago.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to help out Haliburton. Now I can't help out Ray Allen anymore. I mean I did help him a little bit, and I don't think he was welcoming my advice there.
Speaker 2: That was so awkward. You know you're doing that wrong.
Speaker 5: I know that was incredible that you told him.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, I know, I know.
Speaker 4: But he had the ball on the palm of his hand and I said, no, no, you need a little separation. There should be more on your fingertips. I'm telling one of the greatest shooters, maybe five greatest shooters.
Speaker 2: Of all time.
Speaker 4: Imagine if he had done what I told him to do, maybe he's the second greatest shooter of all time.
Speaker 2: Yampoo.
Speaker 6: Okay, So in the game last night, Halliburton Pacers, he makes a big three turns. The crowd's going crazy. He hits the Dame celebration hitting his wrist. Dame's right there.
Speaker 5: Do you guys like it?
Speaker 6: Love it? Or too soon for Halliburton.
Speaker 4: Here's Dame Lillard on Halliburton during Dame time.
Speaker 12: I learned as a as a kid, you know, when you dish it out, you got to be willing to take it. And for as many times as I've done it to people, you know, I can't be upset when somebody else does it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I think that's also.
Speaker 12: A sign of respect and acknowledgment for you know, knowing my history and knowing what I do, and you know I didn't mind it was what it was. I just I've also known that, you know, when you have in your moment is it's important to be careful and to be humble when you're having your moments because you just never know how to Tayle's turn and when they're gonna turn. So I respected it.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll see you.
Speaker 4: He was respectful, but sending a message here, sending him here. Let me set my watch to Dame time the next time we face the pacers. Easy, young, easy, like there was respect. He knows Dame time. And but you gotta be humble. You never know, can we find out when the Bucks play the Pacers again.
Speaker 9: That would be New Year's Day, Dan, Monday, January first, thank you.
Speaker 4: See, all right, I'm gonna take a I'm a sneak a peek at that now all of a sudden, I'm interested a little bit more when the Pacers meet the Bucks.
Speaker 2: Yes, Todd, you can kind of disabey have it.
Speaker 9: Actually, actually it's even earlier than that.
Speaker 4: Is it Christmas? They're playing the thirteenth. Oh so next week in Milwaukee.
Speaker 2: That's convenient. I like it? Okay it flex okay, over.
Speaker 4: Under Wednesday game, remember thirteenth, eight pm Eastern.
Speaker 1: Let's go time.
Speaker 2: Who scores more?
Speaker 5: Oh Dame? Oh he does scores more than Wilt? Try go ahead, Tyres okay.
Speaker 9: All right, young fella, okay, young fella, No.
Speaker 2: Come out out here? Does Holiburton take the bait? Come on out here?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: Oh oh, how deep is the first shot that Dame takes?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: Is it like forty forty feet? Just a a young fella more where that came from? You do want to make that first one, though, and you want to make sure it's where you hear that swish?
Speaker 9: Yes, I think he actually starts closer to the hoop and slowly gets further out as the game goes on. So by the end of it, he's just absolutely destroying the Pacers and he's hitting, you know, he's.
Speaker 2: Doing logo stuff, yes, Marv.
Speaker 5: And Dame hasn't really gone off yet this season, so.
Speaker 4: He's way had one big game I think right, like early and Giannis was out and I think he had a big number, right, yeah, Pauline.
Speaker 6: If Lillard were being honest, would he want to score sixty on Helliburton and lose a close game or twenty five in a win if he was being honest with himself a regular season, early December game, and what would you do if you were in issues?
Speaker 2: I think I might want to put up sixty, Yeah, even if it's a loss.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think that's an honest answer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Marv.
Speaker 5: You know what, but Dame's moore into the like when you hit the big shot.
Speaker 2: Well, that's Dame time.
Speaker 5: That's Dame time.
Speaker 4: It's not game time, right, it's not the entire game, it's what time is it? It's Dame time. I just hit a jumper. I loved it. I mean, what do the Pacers have to celebrate? It was a big moment there. It was a fun moment. It feels like this. You know, ratings are up for the Ncason Tournament now. It's great marketing by the NBA because the games don't mean more. If they meant something when we got to the postseason, then I would I think that I'd be a little bit more curious about it. It's just, hey, you won this, and you guys are going to get five hundred thousand dollars. Okay, But that marketing has been really good. And normally we don't care about basketball until Christmas. The commissioner came up with something where we care about it now and credit to him, and then they're going to culminate this with the title game in Vegas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Seton.
Speaker 9: I love that the Pacers haven't had a winning record in like four or five years, and Tyres Haliburt and this like few year overnight success. They finally get a pre Christmas win and he's doing Dame time, selly mister December. Yeah, yeah, it's December, it's before Christmas.
Speaker 2: And he's like, that's right, it's my time. It's good.
Speaker 6: There's snow in the air. You had no part of me.
Speaker 2: I love that so much. It's great. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's the tournament. Yeah yeah, not the tournament, but a tournament. Yes, Marv.
Speaker 5: I love it because as excited as the Pacers were after the Lakers Pelicans game, the woman was asking Lebron about you know, you had a great game, you had and he's a tournament. He goes relaxes December. You could tell like all right, like all right, Junas what's important. But for the Pacers, I'm celebrating any win.
Speaker 4: The Lakers won by forty four against the Pelicans, and Lebron was great.
Speaker 2: I mean it was almost systematic.
Speaker 4: You know, here's thirty I'm gonna make all my three pointers, zero turnovers, and it's still amazing at his age what he does and you just watch him, you go, he's still the best player on the floor. Zion Williamson he played twenty three minutes Lebron did at thirty points. But with Zion, I just I'm not gonna say I worry, but I would say there has to be a level of concern of do you want to be great? Because he's the classic example of I've been great all my life. I've been there with aau with highlights, with YouTube video.
Speaker 2: All of this at Duke one year.
Speaker 4: Now, we're kind of waiting because I think these next two years are going to be really important. He's going to get his money, He'll get paid. I just think we might look at this and go what he could have been if he wanted to be. And I'm not the only one that brings this up. Charles Barkley's more direct with him, because Charles sees I think some of himself in Zion and he sees where you know, Charles got that motivational talk that you know, tough talk from Moses Malone, like you have a chance to be special.
Speaker 2: Do you want to be special?
Speaker 4: You need to get a diet, you need to care about this, you need to get in shape. And that's what Charles is saying because he sees himself, or at least the embryonic stages of his game where Zion is right now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Pull, I've been thinking about this. I watched Zion the other day. I think we may all have to recalibrate zion expectations and realize it's never going to be great. Why because if you expect him to be like Duke, where he's blocking shots with his elbow, and hitting his head on the rim. I think those days.
Speaker 2: Are well, well, I don't care about that, but I think.
Speaker 6: That's what the casual fan.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: I want him to be consistent in play.
Speaker 6: If you look at his stats, they're nice, like he passes the ball well, he's a great uh. He never takes threes anymore. He plays well bar on the rim. He's a nice remounder, but he's not special in any category. And it feels like that's what it's going to be. And you know, not a bust or anything. But I don't think he's ever going to be the highlight guy because I don't know if the weight or the pounding or whatever has taken a toll. And this is Apple's and origin. Remember Marie Stodemeyer after he had microfracture surgery and he was less explosive, but he was still a nice post player.
Speaker 4: And Zion's doing windmill dunks in warmups but not playing.
Speaker 2: In the game.
Speaker 6: It doesn't seem like the explosiveness is there during the game. And he was a big guy at Duke and he was all over the place. He's one of the quickest jumpers I've ever seen. His second jump is as quick as anybody I've ever seen. I just don't know how much it means to him. I mean, you get all this money, you're a star. You know, how much do you want?
Speaker 4: The motivation is what is always a great curiosity with these players, and really it can define if you're a good player or a Hall of Famer because of how much it matters to you.
Speaker 5: Yes, and when he's healthy, he's an All Star player, not like, oh he's a French All Star. No, he's a legit All Star. He played, He played an All Star game when he was healthy that one season he made the All Star team. And it wasn't like, oh, he's only there getting voted in by the by the fans. He was there because he played great. You know, he was easily a twenty two and eight guy. He might have been more than more than that. Probably he might have been a twenty seven. Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 6: His second year in the league Zion, he played sixty one games. At twenty years old, he was averaging twenty seven points, seven rebounds, five assists. I mean he was an all purpose player. He was there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and now it's like twenty two points, six rebounds, five assists.
Speaker 4: He's a nice all purpose player. He's not gonna I wonder this next contract if he's in New Orleans. Yes, that's how talented he is. He's a bus right now to us. He's averaging twenty two.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not saying he's a bush.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm just saying.
Speaker 2: I'm saying that that I'm waiting.
Speaker 4: I'm waiting right right, But I think these next two years are really really important. Let me take a break. Got our player of the day coming up. We'll get to your phone calls as well. Back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live. John I just had a report. I don't is it breaking news what he has?
Speaker 6: Paulie, not really, he but he was on MLB network, he says source show Hey Otani's decision is imminent. Decision is imminent, like he's made it, possibly as early as today.
Speaker 2: He says.
Speaker 6: The Blue Jays are one of the finalists for show, Hey Tani.
Speaker 2: He is, but how many finalists though? We don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because if they're one of four or five finalists, then that's not breaking news.
Speaker 6: Will people be shocked nationwide if it's the Blue Jays, Yes.
Speaker 4: Yes, because he's right there in the backyard of the Dodgers and the Giants have whiffed on a couple of big free agents here recently. But but you know, you he's going to own Canada and he'll be a big deal in the United States. If you go back to Lebron when he was with the Cavaliers, he didn't have to be in a big market. He was in Cleveland. He was the market. And that's the same thing with Shoe Heeyotonic. You get to go and play in a ballpark where it's a beautiful ballpark and you have you know, the conditions aren't going to change because you're in a dome and you're able to go there. And this is similar to the ballpark he had when he was in Japan. You can go there and you could be a big star, but maybe you're not. You know, it's not Spotlight, it's not New York, it's not la I don't know if less pressure is fair to him, but it feels because you're in the Al East, so you're going to be going to Boston and Yankee Stadium plus the number of times he gets to go to Yankee Stadium. He's probably going to like that that short right field porch there for him. But it feels like Toronto is getting a little bit more momentum than I thought they were going to, because I thought all along it was the Giants. Then I was told yesterday, you know, I know you said the Giants, but the Dodgers still have the hammer. I go, what's the hammer they have Los Angeles? He doesn't have to move, And he said, the only hurdle could be Joe Kelly whars number seventeen.
Speaker 2: And I go, that's not a hurdle.
Speaker 4: Joe Kelly, Joe, you'll be happy to give up number seventeen, right, Yes you will.
Speaker 2: If not, then we'd be happy to give up Joe Kelly.
Speaker 4: You imagine if they said, you know, Tani was going to the Dodgers, Joe Kelly wouldn't give up his jersey, Like, I just can't do it, Yeah, I can't.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry something. I'm attached to this. I love this.
Speaker 4: It's my number, all right. So that's where we are right now. I think by the end of the day we know where shohe Atani's going now. Also, keep in mind John Morosi brought this up yesterday. Once he agrees, and he's gonna have to have all these medical tests. He's going to be in an MRI, like a total body scan to find out how healthy. If I'm ponying up five, you know, five hundred and fifty million dollars for this guy, I'm gonna guess I want to see, uh, you know, what the parts look like there?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 4: A couple of phone calls Buddha and San Francisco. Hi Buddha, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 3: Nobody happy to meet Friday Boy, a pretty uh zap bitty dude out Dan glop blop to you, good pool yesterday, the Steelers and Patriots crushing the over under last night, and uh Dan John Rahm going to the Lift Tour. It's just fine by me, who cares, But.
Speaker 2: Like you know, just don't lie to me.
Speaker 3: Don't just say you just say he took the money. Don't give me a bunch of bull junk and try to hide the elephant in the room. I mean, I mean, even Fritzy's Valley Girl can see what's going on here. He's lying and Dan as a die hard Laker fan. I guess I got to address Lebron and give him credit for what he's doing at his age. I'm happy for the boys, but I can already start hearing the declarations if Lebron and a Lakers win, well, Michael Jordan never won in a season tournament title. The goat debate over question marks like come on, man and the Lakers one hundred percent should have a parade.
Speaker 2: No, nobody's going to be bringing that up. Jordan didn't have that.
Speaker 4: And it does it matter big picture legacy, Absolutely not unless somebody is really fishing and trying to manufacture something.
Speaker 2: But no, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: I still go back to, and it's one that I think is a fair discussion the longevity of Lebron for over two decades or Jordan's career, which was what thirteen or fourteen years? You could have both of those careers if you're an owner or a GM, which one would you take? And it's worth a discussion because do I get six titles with Mike, Yes, I get what ten appearances in the finals with Lebron? I got four titles and counting, and I have consistency and longevity that his team is always going to be a playoff team. I think you got to factor that in with all of this. Because Lebron may have the greatest basketball career of all time. Mike is the best player of all time, and there's a difference in that. But if I'm an owner and this is about business, which it is, then do I want twenty plus years with Lebron at that high of a level, being consistent and competitive, or do I want Mike and then a drop off like the Bulls had where they haven't recovered. I think it's a fair discussion, not who's the best player, but if you're looking at best career, then you'd probably do Lebron. All right, Hour two coming up, we're gonna check in with the Dallas Cowboys. What changed after their bye week or did anything change? Randall Shamblay of Golf Channel will give us his thoughts on John Rahm, and Gronk is going to join us. Coming up in the final hour of the program, phone calls will get to more of those eight seven seven to three e DP show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show. Make sure you grab a bottle of Tailgate moonshine it's peppermint bark.
Speaker 2: It is delicious. Hour two on this Meet Friday, on the way