Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: I was on the phone with the source yesterday talking about the Cleveland Browns and I said, hey, you guys interested in Russell Wilson. He goes, Russ just signed with the Giants. I go, okay, so you're not interested in Russell Wilson. It said we were, but and I said, okay, so that means you're taking Shador Sanders And he goes. Everybody is tight lipped about what the Browns are doing. They have the number two pick in the draft, and I was wondering about this. So this is where you get different agendas. The Browns could take Shador Sanders. Now, once again, don't take our quarterback. Take the quarterback, the quarterback who fits your style, your coaching staff, your system, all of those things. But if you take Shador Sanders, Now, I got a rookie contract. Now that eases some of the financial pain from Deshaun Watson's contract. You can let him kind of fade away, he'll never play for you again, and you get Shadoor Sanders as your quarterback. Now, you're also going to pass up on guys who might be wearing a gold jacket when their careers are over, Abdul Carter and Travis Hunter. So you'd be passing up two guys out of this draft where you could probably say, if they play accordingly according to you know, let the scouts assess their talents, they'll be Hall of Fame caliber players. You don't know that about Cam Warton, you don't know that about Shadoor Sanders. But then I asked my source, I said, well, what about Kirk Cousins. He said, well, he'd have to be healthy and he's going to cost us a draft pick. And I said, okay, but he's played with Kevin Stefanski, you're a head coach before. He's been with him before. He said yes. I said, okay, just help me understand this though, because you don't have a quarterback now, I mean, you don't have a true starting quarterback. And I keep feeling and hearing that maybe Kirk Cousins once the draft is over, And this is what I keep going back to. If you're the Browns, you can get Russ, you can keep him in the division, and then you can decide what you want to do. Maybe you take Abdul Carter, the great edge rusher out of Penn State, so you get him with Miles Garrett and then all of a sudden you got something there. But if you don't and you take Shador Sanders, you're not ready to win now, but you still get your quarterback, quarterback contract, quarterback of the future. Then you have the giant situation. They already brought in Jameis Winston, they had Tommy DeVito, and I kept thinking, Okay, now this is where Shador Sanders is going, but I'm not so sure because you brought you brought in Russ and Jameis Winston, and I'm thinking this coaching staff and this GM have to win now. If you bring in Shador Sanders, he might not play. You might have Jameis Winston out there if you didn't bring in Russ. That feels like, you know, they're probably on an eight or nine game schedule. This coaching staff in GM like they have to be able to win now. They might not like Shador Sanders and maybe they end up with Travis Hunter, maybe they end up with Abdull Carter. Those are great, great players to have that fall into your lap. But that's where I'm wondering about the mindset of the coaching staff in GM.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Obviously John Mayer, the owner of the Giants, can see through this. Who's the best guy to take, who helps us big picture? Not necessarily right now, because you're not right now, not in that division, but you have a coaching staff that better win. They better have a seven and two record, six and three record. It feels like after nine games, or if they have a three win they're three and six after nine to keep them, and I think their timeframe is we got to get somebody who can help us win now. Jamis Winston, Russell Wilson one year deals, no real long term commitments. There were good Maybe we don't like the other quarterback or other quarterbacks in the draft. Maybe we try to get Jackson Dart little later on, maybe Jalen Milroe out of Alabama. So I was I was all over my source just trying to get some kind of information on what's going on with Cleveland, and I couldn't get it. Didn't know if they were sold on Shador. I didn't know if that's the place that he went to and he interviewed, and the quarterbacks coach thought he was arrogant, I you know, because does Dion want his son to go to the Cleveland Browns, and I wondered about that as well. I keep thinking New York because it feels like Shador, if he goes to New York, he already walks in. He's got a really good wide receiver there, and he's built for this. Like of all of the players, if you're built for the media capital, if you're built for a spotlight, it would be Shador Sanders. His dad welcomed the spotlight. Shador seems to welcome the spotlight as well and doesn't always work out. I go back with baseball, and I remember Greg Maddox didn't want to play in New York, remember ed Witson Pitcher. He wanted out in New York, Zach Wilson, New York felt too big for him. Eli Manning was ready for it. His personality made him ready for New York.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Aaron Rodgers, he welcomed it, it's just his achilles didn't. And even then there was still thought that maybe he would end up with the Giants because he didn't want to leave New York. He loved going to the Rangers games, standing ovation, going to the Knicks games. Like you go to New York, you better embrace it. If not it'll steamroll you. But that's what I thought was Shador Sanders. He's ready for New York if he's the right quarterback for you, which I still don't know. Cam Ward is a really good quarterback, but he's not a really good quarterback in the bigger picture of quarterbacks in the NFL right now, because when we talked to draft analysts, they talk about cam Ward would be would have been the fifth or sixth quarterback taken last year. Okay, Matt Miller, great job at the Mothership. He said that recently. I mean, that's not a knock on him. He's still he's just the best quarterback.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: It's timing when you come out. Who are the other quarterbacks who are coming out? And he's the best quarterback this year. But he separated himself, it feels like from Shador Sanders. So that was going on yesterday afternoon, and I kept thinking, I just spent forty five minutes talking to my sores and I didn't get anything out of it. I was like, dang, I got to get I have to ask better questions. And I usually do pretty good asking questions. I couldn't get anything tight lipped. That's what I was told Yep, Brown's tight lipped on what they're doing at number two.
Speaker 4: Come on, maybe they don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's why they're the Cleveland Browns would and be like, wait, we got the second pick on the Hey, hey, we got the second pick of the draft. By the way, this first Hour brought to you by Maco. Your car could use a little TLC. How many times you've gone out and you look at your car.
Speaker 4: In the light and you go, I gotta scratch there.
Speaker 2: At Maco, they bring your car back to life. Affordable paint chomps like collision repairs. Get a free estimate today. Uh oh, better get Maco. All right, setan what's the poll question? First hour?
Speaker 5: Better pregame speech guy on the Giants Russell Wilson, Jameis Winston.
Speaker 2: Okay, are you looking for inspiration or entertainment? Because Jamis might not inspire me, but he would entertain me. So I would say Russ would give you the raw rah rah. But I just wonder if it adds to these guys. Yeah, you're grown up. You're in there, and you got somebody.
Speaker 4: Going we're gonna run and we're gonna Taylor.
Speaker 2: Head up and around and then you're like, all right, let's go, but obvious, say Jamis would be entertaining.
Speaker 5: I'm I'm of the camp that Jameis Winston is extremely annoying.
Speaker 4: He we only see a little bit. Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't find him amusing at all. Oh, I think he's he's not trying to be amusing. He's one of those guys that like Fritzy, he's funny, but not when he's not trying to be funny.
Speaker 4: I think there's a complimentari somewhere, really deep.
Speaker 5: I think Jameis Winston is trying to be funny. I think he's like class clown kind.
Speaker 6: Of Okay, Yeah, Paul, I can't tell whether Jamis is in on the joke or not.
Speaker 4: I think he's just odd, yes.
Speaker 7: But is that controllable? Is he calculated or.
Speaker 2: Is he just goofy? I think he's goofy. I think Russ wants to be something. I think he wants to be the motivational I think he wants to be the raw rock guy, the leader. It just comes off a little too scripted. It's it's not like truly emotional. And then what's he going to say at the end, you know, whenever he does his interviews when he'd.
Speaker 4: Be with Seattle.
Speaker 2: You go all right, okay, talk to you later, go home, and then in Denver, all right, we'll talk to you later.
Speaker 4: All right, thanks for having me on Let's Ride.
Speaker 2: So I don't know what he did for the I don't think he did one for the Steelers.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, Let's Ride didn't go over well. Well when you don't play very well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but even right from before he even threw his first pass, we did about three straight weeks on Let's Ride.
Speaker 4: May there was the video of.
Speaker 5: Him like I don't know if he was practicing it or if it was like whatever, you know. I mean, Let's Ride did not go well for us, fairly or unfairly. That whole catchphrase didn't.
Speaker 2: But I don't think he had one in Pittsburgh. And maybe somebody in Pittsburgh can let us know. But we didn't hear from Russ once he went to Pittsburgh, and for some reason we lost contact.
Speaker 4: With Russ's Okay, focus on your craft. Yes, let's write the ship.
Speaker 2: Yeah maybe yeah, maybe maybe you know, you have a good week, good month, maybe we'll have him back on.
Speaker 8: Yes, Tom for Winston, are you more likely to embrace or tune out odd if we want to put the odd title on Jamis Winston. Each player obviously is different, but I wonder if the average football player would embrace thatt a find like.
Speaker 4: This guy's, well, what would you do?
Speaker 7: I would embrace the oddness.
Speaker 4: You usually ask a question, especially.
Speaker 8: If he's the backup quarterback. I don't need to, you know, I don't need to be his best friend. I don't. I don't have to have any strong feeling either way if Russ is our guy. But I would lean towards embracing the oddness as long as there's some entertainment.
Speaker 2: But why don't you ask yourself the question and then you give me your answer, you know, just say you know what it would I would embrace the oddness that is a thought that that yeah, because you can't spell todd without odd.
Speaker 1: Yes s.
Speaker 5: I'm okay with odd odd as a leader sometimes, especially when your leadership abilities should severely be questioned anyway. But you know, like if you're getting ready for the game and all of a sudden, like Jamis is like guys, guys, guys, get around, get around, You're like, oh jesus, here we go, all right, jamishad dude, just I'm just trying to get out there and get won't here we go?
Speaker 4: Jamis is gonna do that to me?
Speaker 9: Was you lick your fingers and you put your fingers in a W? Let's eat a W?
Speaker 4: What are you doing?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 4: What? What are you doing? Okay?
Speaker 2: What's Russell Wilson say at the end of every interview now that he's a New York Giants?
Speaker 4: Fritzy, do you have a few? I do have a few? Okay, Okay, the.
Speaker 3: Giant was one thought.
Speaker 4: Okay, Jersey boys.
Speaker 7: They play there, met Lifer, be blue.
Speaker 8: And why because we can jint condition instead of men's condition, because they call them jints ginch condition, blue bloods. And then I also had weemen as opposed to g men.
Speaker 3: They're the weemen a giant.
Speaker 4: I think be Giant might be the winner there, met Lifer the stadium.
Speaker 5: Yes, set, I'm seeing on the interwebs here that Russell Wilson, whilst in Pittsburgh, would close press conferences with the phrase win the seventh.
Speaker 4: Seventh Super Bowl. Seventh super Bowl, guys.
Speaker 5: You your time, win the seventh here you walk off. I don't know that I've that didn't really bubble up on the radar quite as much. But I don't know how often he said that or if he really did. But according to the Internet, he said, win the seventh. And then with the Giants, what do they have two super Bowls? Three super Bowls?
Speaker 4: I think four to four? So win the fifth? Hey, big apple bite it? No, I mean.
Speaker 2: My big apple bite. Yeah, let's bite it.
Speaker 4: Why didn't he say with the yes, why didn't he say go fourth?
Speaker 8: Then with the Broncos, as they had three super Bowls, they're gonna if he's gonna play up numbers like they did with the Steelers.
Speaker 2: No, no, he truly knew they weren't going to win a Super Bowl. Was Yeah, he couldn't be that phony. No, he couldn't say.
Speaker 4: Why didn't they talking about Arthen Bowl? Anything you're talking about Arthen Wall.
Speaker 8: Let's ride definitely didn't make sense because anytime anyone got anywhere near him, he went right to the ground. So he's not riding anywhere.
Speaker 4: Oh, now you turn you turned on it.
Speaker 8: I watched every play here comes comes to shut down.
Speaker 4: He goes.
Speaker 8: Used to scramble with the Seahawks and pick up first downs. He just up, I'm down.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 10: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 7: You could catch us.
Speaker 11: Weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 10: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 11: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 10: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 11: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 4: I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 10: So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planet Earth. To check out Covino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific and if you miss any of the live show, just search Kovin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 4: I had a conversation yesterday with somebody.
Speaker 2: Now in the first hour I mentioned I have a source and I was trying to get information about the Cleveland Browns, And either he didn't know or he wasn't going to spill anything, because I said, what are you doing with the number two pick? Now that Russ is signed with the Giant. In fact, when I was talking to him, I said what about Russ? And he goes, well, you just signed with the Giants. I go, okay, so he's not going to the Cleveland Browns. This is during the phone call. Then I go, okay, what are you doing. You're gonna take Abdul Carter. You gotta put him with Miles Garrett. Would you take Shador Sanders? But Dion let his son go to Cleveland. Boy, it makes a lot of sense if Cleveland really likes Shador Sanders. Now, all of a sudden rookie contract for your quarterback, and it eases the financial pain of what you stupidly paid Toshaun Watson he wasn't given me anything. I said, what about Kirk Cousins after the draft? Would you take Kirk Cousins? Maybe, Well, he'd have to be healthy and it would cost us a draft pick, all right, couldn't get anything crickets. And then you look what the Giants are doing with Russ and Jameis Winston. Are they going to still take Shador Sanders? You know, I went the first hour without mentioning the Aaron Rodgers part of the equation. But it is real. It's either Pittsburgh or retirement. That's what it feels like. And I thought it was Minnesota or retirement. But he did go there for six hours last Fridays. Everybody knows. And what is he waiting for now? If he doesn't want to give an answer till after the draft and the Steelers are fine with that, I'm fine with it, like it is my job to cover it.
Speaker 4: Do I wish it happened sooner? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Content, But if it's his time frame and the Steelers time frame and they're fine with both of that parts of the equation, then I am. I'm all right, Who cares? You know, a member of the media whining about something, all right, I'll survive, but you do want to be ahead of the game kind of figure out. Okay, if he goes there, what's it mean. How long is he going to go there for? Would they still take a quarterback in the draft?
Speaker 11: You know?
Speaker 2: So there's a lot of different things in there. Cam Ward, it feels like he has cemented himself as the number one overall pick. I'm guessing Tennessee does take him. I thought the Giants would try to move up. Cleveland probably doesn't want to move up. They'll be fine at too. They need help, and you could get Travis Hunter, Abdul Carter, and if you truly loved Shudor Sanders, you take him. But you start to look at these quarterbacks and we pump them up because they're the next wave of quarterbacks. And I was curious when we had Matt Miller, the great draft expert for the Mothership on recently, I said, where would cam Ward be with last year's quarterback class?
Speaker 12: If we were talking about last year's drafts, cam Ward would have been the sixth or seventh guy drafted, probably at quarterback, not overall, at quarterback. And that might still make you a top ten pick, right because those guys flew up the board last year, but I do think he's being elevated. It is interesting both quarterbacks Sanders and Ward, they have some bad habits that.
Speaker 3: Are going to need coach out of them.
Speaker 12: Cam Ward's kind of get dismissed because he has a strong arm.
Speaker 2: So that's Matt Miller draft analyst for the Mothership of where these quarterbacks would be. I think that's the general consensus is cam Ward would be after bo Nicks. JJ McCarthy is still front and center for the Minnesota Vikings, and he was asked one whether or not he's the starting quarterback in Minnesota.
Speaker 10: We as a fan or even media found out, like, you're the guy, the the guy recently?
Speaker 5: When did you know?
Speaker 12: When did they tell you or when was that message to you?
Speaker 13: They haven't told men. I'm happy they didn't because I try to earn it every single day and I never want that to be given to me. And it's such a privileged and opportunity to give that give me that chance, and I'm just going to make the most about every single pay. All right.
Speaker 2: That's with Kay Adams up in Adams, JJ McCarthy. Look, it might be fake humility, but it's going over well in Minnesota. So you're looking at Aaron Rodgers and saying, I guess it's Pittsburgh. When is it going to be Pittsburgh? And what do they do in the draft, because I don't know if you say, hey, we're going to bring in Aaron, but by the way, we're going to use our first round. You imagine if they use a first round draft pick, I think the twenty first overall pick on Jackson Dart, so he would be with a team that uses their first round pick on another quarterback. Now do I think it makes sense for Pittsburgh If you really think Jackson Dart can play, then it makes sense. I didn't know it if it made sense in green Bay at the time, I didn't think it made sense because Aaron was playing well, he went on his revenge tour. You've never gotten in a wide receiver in the first round. And now did it turn out to be the correct call? Yes, green Bay makes a lot of correct calls, But at the time I thought, and even when we had Rogers on after the draft, I think that's when he decided that he was going to have a larger glass at tequila. After he realized that Jordan Love. The Packers have selected quarterback Jordan Love. Give me a little bit more tequila in there?
Speaker 4: All right? Poll question by the way, good morning.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on Peacock, our streaming partner, we say good morning to our radio affiliates. What's the poll question for hour two? I can't believe there's.
Speaker 5: This much support for Jameis Winston, but that better pregame speech guy on the Giants right now, Jameis Winston still has ninety percent of that vote.
Speaker 2: Yeah, odd that we came up with that, But we did think about who's going to motivate you in that Giant's locker room when you get ready to go out and face the Eagles. Is it Jamis Winston or Russell Wilson. Let's ride p giant.
Speaker 4: We're putting up there right now.
Speaker 5: Question Paully sent over if you could put one into place, a hard salary cap and baseball or a return to the old transfer system in college sports.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a little heavy. That's just what we do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, unexactly lighthearted sports radio conversation.
Speaker 4: I went hour one.
Speaker 5: You can't get much more lighthearted than Jamis Winston v. Russell Wilson.
Speaker 4: I mean so Russ goes to the Giants.
Speaker 2: You know, the Patriots got Stefan Diggs, which is the Patriots have had a sneaky good offseason.
Speaker 4: They have the fourth pick in the draft.
Speaker 2: Worst case scenario, they end up with Travis Hunter Abdul Carter. That's not a bad consolation prize. You feel like you do have your quarterback. They had a whole lot of money to spend. They had salary cap money and Drake may I thought, did a for a team that had nothing on offense. He made something with that team and they have added some pieces offensive lineman, defensive lineman. Now you have the fourth pick in the draft. Stefan Diggs was on his way to the Hall of Fame. He may still be on his way to the Hall of Fame. But I just wonder about you know, when you he wasn't healthy, got banged up in Houston. You know whatever happened in Buffalo where you know he ended up in Houston. Now you end up in New England, still coming off surgery. But if you look at what he did in Buffalo, here's the most one hundred plus catch seasons in the first nine years of a career, Antonio Brown in six of his first nine years had over one hundred catches with Pittsburgh. Stefan Diggs has had five, Brandon Marshall had five, Wes Welker had five, DeVante Adams fo DeAndre Hopkins for Marvin Harrison four and Keenan Allen four. Stat of the Day, yea the day, that's stat of the day.
Speaker 7: Stat of the day.
Speaker 4: Here comes that?
Speaker 3: What stat of the day.
Speaker 4: Brought to you by Panini America.
Speaker 2: The official trading cards of the DP show Antonio Brown was going to the Hall of Fame. I don't think anybody had more catches over a five year window than he did, but he had six seasons. And look, I think when he got knocked out concussed by vontez Perfect, I think it seemed to change him. And I think we've seen Antonio Brown is not a normal person. I don't know what that hit did to him, in my opinion, I always thought it just he seemed different after that. But I didn't know him. I think we've had him on once or twice, maybe at the Super Bowl one time, charismatic dude. But times have changed though. You know when he freaked out, you know, left the building during a game, Stefan Diggs is you know, he was in Minnesota. He wanted to have and get paid, have his moment, got it in Buffalo, and then all of a sudden, Buffalo seemed to be better, you know, by you know, getting rid of Stefan Diggs.
Speaker 4: It's hard to say that about a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 2: Where you go, you know, the team got better because they got rid of a Hall of Fame caliber wide receiver. I don't know if any of these receivers are going to the Hall of Fame. Antonio Brown, Stefan Diggs, Brandon Marshall, Wes Wilker, DeVante Adams is probably going to the Hall of Fame. DeAndre Hopkins, Marvin Harrison is already a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 4: I don't know if catches matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I haven't been in the voting room or Peter King's the only one I really talked about what goes on in there and what they factor in. And I don't know if it's fluid when they start to look at Hall of Famers. Are you looking at the same thing now with wide receivers as you did five years ago? What about ten years ago? I remember when it was man, if you get to a thousand catches, it was like ten thousand yards for a running back.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's the case in either situation. Are we going to have?
Speaker 2: How many running backs are Christian McCaffrey's not going to the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 4: Said, I don't think so. Derrick Henry going to the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: I don't know if there's any other running back that is playing now, Like Saquon Barkley would need to have three or four more great seasons, but he certainly got back on track in a big way. And you're playing in Philadelphia behind that offensive line with all those weapons, he could end up, you know, four or five fifteen hundred yard seasons, win a Super Bowl two thousand yards, then you'd be.
Speaker 4: A Hall of Famer.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I start to look at these numbers and you go, I don't know what matters anymore, Because for a long long time, it felt like the running game was the short passing game, that we don't need a running back, We just need a running back who can block and also catch passes. Now, all of a sudden, we got a couple of running backs who were getting fifteen, eighteen, two thousand yards, and now it's kind of back in vogue, and Ashton Genty could be one of those running backs who comes in and plays right away. When you get a comp of Emmitt Smith by one draft analyst. So when somebody says Ashton Genty and they go Emmitt Smith with speed, wooh.
Speaker 4: I draft him now.
Speaker 2: I voted for him for the Heisman, but you can't go wrong with who won. But in my mind, Ashton Genty, what he did? You know, he led his team then you know, ended up finished runner up and he'll probably be the seventh pick overall.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Pauli.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if you look at the all time rushing leaders, active players on the list are Derrick Henry, Ezekiel Elliott's got nine thousand yards, but he's it was all done in his first four years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's not.
Speaker 3: Nope.
Speaker 6: Joe Mixon is an all purpose back. Saquan's at seven thousand yards, but he's more all purpose yardage. Aaron Jones, Nick Chubb, Josh Jacobs is having.
Speaker 7: A very good career. Yeah, and it's early.
Speaker 6: Going back to Antonio Brown, he had a six year window where he had seven hundred catches in six years, all made the Pro Bowl every single time and had four first team All pros. If he didn't implode and left the sport due to injury, would he get the Hall of Fame Hall pass?
Speaker 2: Well, let's say he had seven years that he played in the NFL, or even six. You know, we we do have precedent here. You have Terrell Davis. Now we would always bring up Gail Sears, but Terrell Davis's modern day. You know, injury cut short his career. If Antonio Brown had an injury that cuts short his career, then maybe you're not supposed to factor in anything other than what you do on the football field. The voters are told that other sports they do factor in who you are, but I also have to factor in how you were as a teammate. That's the only other aspect with this that I can look at your performance. I also have to look at you give and then you take away, and that's going to hurt him. It's like tarall Owens, to me, was a first ballot Hall of Famer, but he didn't get in first ballot.
Speaker 4: I don't think what second or third time.
Speaker 2: Mar Michael Irvin, you know, to me, first balla Hall of Famer, but off the field and they're not supposed to be factoring that in. Will they factor that in with Antonio Brown? They will, and not that Stefan Diggs is in the Antonio Brown category of disruptive. But it didn't go well in Buffalo at the end. I mean, Houston just didn't work out. You thought with you know, those two young receivers there, and you bring in steph On Diggs with that quarterback, and wow, all right, you guys can challenge for the AFC title.
Speaker 9: Yes, Marvin ye And I think Stephan Diggs might be in the Tiki Barber category. They have the Buffalo Bills win a Super Bowl and they win without him, That's gonna hurt his chances. I think that's what hurts Tiki Barbi. If he stays another year and they win a Super Bowl with him as a big contributor, I think his Hall of Fame case is way stronger than it is now.
Speaker 4: Look at that, Marvin is hijacking Paul's Tiki Barber.
Speaker 7: Kind of thing. I've owned that for a decade.
Speaker 9: At the end, Tiki Barber was as good as any running back.
Speaker 7: But I think I got the point, Mark.
Speaker 4: Yeah, easy, he got piling on, piling on.
Speaker 7: Want to get some eighty five bears to and Emma.
Speaker 2: Paulie Dan is the Great Paulie thinks more highly of Tiki Barber's Hall of Fame chances than Tiki Barber does I think.
Speaker 4: I mean, like, what do you think, Tiki? I don't know, Paulie, what do you think?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you know what you did in the last five years and fifteen number of catchers? There's nobody else in America who talks about Tiki Barber's career.
Speaker 7: Maybe for a reason, we.
Speaker 2: Can't even get Tiki Barber on to talk about Tiki Barber's career. He's probably like, no, I don't want to do that, all right, Ernie, I gotta clean up my act. I got a professional broadcaster here coming up.
Speaker 4: That's my hair. Look, shouldn't have worn.
Speaker 2: This sweatshirt with Ernie'll probably have a bow tie on, you know, the all prophestsorial.
Speaker 4: Oh oh, look at that, Ernesto. He looks sloppy, just like me. Yes, I love it. All right, We'll take a break.
Speaker 2: The Great Ernie Johnson, Well, Johnny's coming up next here, Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: He's a busy man, he's a Hall of Famer, he wins Sports emmyses. Ernie Johnson Junior.
Speaker 4: The third who joins us on the program. Great to have you back, Ernie. How are you?
Speaker 3: If I had a tail, it'd be a wagon day. I like it.
Speaker 4: I like it.
Speaker 2: You know, when you look at the different jobs that you have now you still get to work with Chuck, but when you do March maddness, compare that to working the NBA show.
Speaker 3: Well, I think the biggest difference is Clark Kellogg, who is He's so tied into the college game. He's a guy you just lean on like crazy because for us, you know, it's we pay attention to the college game, but our focus is the NBA. So you really need to have a guy like Clark or Seth Davis in the Atlanta studio or Jay Wright somebody like that. So that's been the biggest difference. But I think just in the terms of the vibe and how we do the show, I think it took a little while. But you know, the CBS with their you know, with the way they do things, they kind of said, Okay, yeah, you guys can you guys can do this. You know, you guys can be your NBA kind of guys and do your show that way. And that started, I mean the first year. You know, they wanted the guys in for a for a production meeting two hours before we went on the air, and chucksonvis that's that's a hard no. And so so once we got through that adjustment period that you know, we pretty much we pretty much do our thing.
Speaker 2: But you have situations and you had it recently with Charles that he might not be watching what he's supposed to watch and then you have to correct him. I don't know how college basketball fans react to that, whereas NBA fans like, we kind of expect Chuck to go this game sucks. But with college basketball, march madness can't exactly get away with that.
Speaker 3: Oh we're able to get away with it because we still had Kenny and Clark there who could cover that game. It's not like, not like we were going to ignore it, but it was. What was funny is that he looked down like he was going to really say something, like he had made a couple of notes and then realized he hadn't watched any of it. It's like it was. It was like a couple of years ago. Chuck has always taken great bride and his Oscar picks and says, you know, he never misses Juan And so we were talking about Best Picture, and nineteen eighteen was up for Best Picture, and so we're talking about it, and he says, I think the best picture is going to be nineteen eighteen. I said, well, tell me about it. He said, we know it's you, it's your basic you know what. I haven't seen it. So yeah, So moments like that, you're kind of you've kind of come to expect.
Speaker 2: When did you realize though, that this was different with how social media was viewing you guys, and the clips that are played over and over, like there's a seismic shift. When I did Sports Center, you watched Sports Center. Now people don't watch Sports Center as much as they'll take clips and watch them on social media. How did that affect how you guys did TNT.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it had a great effect. I know it made it more accessible for folks who didn't want to stay up till one thirty or two o'clock in the morning. And watch the show, even though sometimes it would be replayed on NBA TV in the morning. But I mean, that's the world we live in. I mean that was and you're you and I are both old enough to remember t that you know, and there may have been times where you had a you did a show, and you didn't know exactly how it was received or if people thought something was funny, and the only way you knew was if Rudy Marsky wrote about it on Monday. You know, it was like and now everything is so instantaneous. It's like you throw a line out there and all of a sudden you're getting skewered or you're getting praised, and yeah, it's just a different world. But you you don't do it for the you know, how many likes you get or anything like that. You're just doing your job and that's how we that's how we do ours.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that we didn't have social media. I just because we did it without knowing. As you said, if anybody's what we didn't know ratings, We didn't know anything, huh huh. And I remember the first time I found out that we might be might have a following or be popular. Is I went to the SP's and all of a sudden, you run into Jerry Seinfeld and you run into Bill Murray and they're reciting lines back to you, and I'm like, I'll be damn, there are people actually watching this show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no, I know exactly what you're talking about. And I was. I was so you know my story along that vein is being out in LA for a playoff game, and walked away shaking my head because Denzel Washington knew who I was. He's like, I watch you guys all the time. I was like, really, that's amazing. Yeah, So there were those moments that kind of reach up and grab you, and it's like, I guess we do have a lot of folks who were watching the show.
Speaker 2: Is Ernie Johnson, Hall of Famer, Turner Sports studio host inside the NBA State of College Sports. I know that nil transfer portal is a topic of conversation. Where do you stand with this?
Speaker 3: I think that I think we all agreed that something had to be done and that and that there had to be a way that the college athletes who were who were making all this money for these schools needed to be compensated. One, you know, some way. But then it just we just went from hey, this that's a good idea to all right, whatever you want, and it was like a zero to sixty and zero to a one hundred and and so that's how I kind of look at it is that, yeah, we we all kind of agreed. But then are there should there be some limitations? Should or is this going to just price up the smaller schools out because they don't they can't lure anybody into their into their places. So yeah, I think I think just in that regard that yeah, we're we just kind of let it happen without without any regulation. And then and and the transfer portal is I would not want to be a coach. And I can certainly see where guys like Tony Bennett and Jay Wright and others have said, you know, it's enough of this. You know, I'm gonna work my ass off and recruit this kid and he's going to come to my place. And now I've got to keep recruiting him as he's in my program, because he's just going to leave, you know, if he's not getting the run that he wants or whatever. So no, it's it's it's changed everything dramatically for sure, and and and it's always strange to look down as I'm you know, I'm doing my numbers and my rosters and that kind of thing when I'm getting ready in the months leading up to the say wow, this kid's been, and Kyle, this guy's been. This is the sixth season, you know, And so yeah, that's that's kind of been the amazing part of me.
Speaker 4: Did you fill out a bracket?
Speaker 3: I did? And it's really good. Oh, it's really good. I think I could have it right here. I've been in New York. I've got a two week I got a two week stay in New York for this. I did not go back to Atlanta and then come back in between the rounds because all I'm doing is basically working on the show. So, Okay, this is really good for your show that I'm rifling through here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's good radio.
Speaker 3: Let's see one, two, three, four, five, six. Okay. I got ten of the sixteen Sweet sixteen, seven out of eight Elite eight, an entire final four Jill, which is not bad in my in my opinion, I've got I've got Florida beating uh, Michigan State and Duke beating Tennessee in the final four.
Speaker 4: How about you let.
Speaker 3: Meet Does that meet with your approval? Yeah?
Speaker 4: But why don't you let me pat you on the back, not you pat yourself on the back that.
Speaker 3: You know. I think that's a great idea. I don't know what. I don't know what came over.
Speaker 4: Like, do you have sports Emmys that you pack with you when you go to New.
Speaker 2: York for you know, just so you can be in familiar surroundings, just.
Speaker 3: Just a few of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I thought, You know what?
Speaker 3: You know what's bad? It's like packing for for eight shows and two weeks up here. So I like, I've been living in this all star hoodie the whole the whole time in New York. So you you didn't really expect me to get up and put a bow tie on.
Speaker 2: No, I'm glad you didn't, because I had a sweatshirt on and I go, oh my god, I got Ernie Johnson on.
Speaker 3: I live in these I would if I didn't have to get dressed up. This would be me all the time.
Speaker 4: Why don't you do a casual broadcast one day?
Speaker 3: Mmm?
Speaker 4: You guys get to do whatever you want.
Speaker 3: Why why should we do a casual brook Why not we have certain standards.
Speaker 4: Oh you do? Okay, you know what, guys.
Speaker 3: The other guys are casual sometimes.
Speaker 2: Well, Charles is always making fun of Anthony Davis. You know, street clothes, So why don't you guys have a street clothes show and homage to Anthony Davis?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I don't know if it would come off.
Speaker 2: As why what's the biggest storyline the rest of the season to you?
Speaker 4: In the NBA?
Speaker 14: In the NBA, you know, I I think things are kind of looking a little bit clear cut as far as who's going to finish where and who they're who they might play.
Speaker 3: I think my biggest question is, is okay See ready for this? You know it's because obviously they have got a squad and SGA is unbelievable. Now can you get over that hump and get to that Western Conference final? And then can you get to the NBA finals? So I think, you know, is Okac ready for this, for this step? Because we already know Boston's ready for that step? Is Cleveland ready for that step? You know? Does a great regular season translate? So those to me are the big questions because I don't see a whole lot of other folks who could win the title. You know, I could see Boston in the finals. I could see Cleveland maybe in the finals if they're you know, if they're at home and if they get a break here and there. But I, you know, out West it's okay See. And I don't know if Houston is ready for that yet. It's been fun watching them. But and and you can't count Denver out, you know, when jokers healthy. But I think the question, yeah, the question is, is okay See ready for this?
Speaker 2: When do you know when Barkley is truly upset, truly upset like mad?
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't know that I've ever really seen Chuck very mad. Chuck is you know, Chuck comes in every night the same way. Hey let's have some fun tonight, you know. And so I I haven't really seen him really hot. Yeah, Shack, I've seen Shack get hot. You know. One night was when we were going, you know, he got mad because Chuck took all his time and then he just kind of clammed up and he didn't want to talk, he didn't want to be part of the show. And and and we've had we had a night where he was late for a show and and he and I kind of talked and I said, man, he got a beam. Man, I left three hours ever the traffic was there. And then and then the next day he didn't even talk to me. It's like I would look at it. I looked at him working with the show, and I'm asking him a question and I'm getting three word answers. And then I finally just had to do in a commercial break, just had to get up and give him a big old hug and say, man, you know I love you. You know that. You know I don't mean anything by that, you know. And then and then he was okay. But yeah, there have been a couple of times where he gots he'll get a little sensitive. I don't know how mad he'll get, but he'll clamb up a little bit, and then you're then you're pulling teeth.
Speaker 4: It's like you're a parent there.
Speaker 3: The way it's been best described at is that I'm the dad driving across country with these three guys in the back seat saying one more peep out of you, and I'm turning this thing around.
Speaker 4: Don't make me come back there.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right.
Speaker 2: Don't make me come back there. Well, who would make you more nervous, Chuck or Shank. I guess Shack, you know, given the signs make me more nervous.
Speaker 3: What if I if I were to pull that? Yeah, No, he's shaq Is. I have no fear of Shack at all. Shack. Shack and I have a special relationship and he always has. It dates back to when I went and did a story on him when he was at LSU and he was living in San Antonio, and he's I remember that day in nineteen nine when you can't and it really wasn't nineteen eighty nine, it was nineteen ninety one.
Speaker 14: But but yeah, I think I think that.
Speaker 3: We you know, we had a great thing going with that bunch, you know, we really have.
Speaker 4: And so and what do you what are you doing now? What are you going to do?
Speaker 3: What am I going to do?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Are you following everybody?
Speaker 3: Yeah? That's I mean, this is the plan. This is the plan. That's we're going to continue to do the show. Okay, and but it's just not going to air on TNT because the NBA on TNT is no more after after these playoffs. But we'll still do the show in Atlanta, Okay, Due'll still do it with the same production crewp it'll just air on ABC, Slash ESPN on certain.
Speaker 2: Nights, Okay, because I think it looked kind of shaky there for a while that we didn't know what direction. You probably were left out in the cold too on this. But and then if it was moving out of Atlanta, would you continue to do it?
Speaker 11: Me?
Speaker 4: No, that was a breaker.
Speaker 3: That's yeah, that's home and it's and so yeah, I think, look, I can kind of see the finish line. You know, it's I remember when Don maguire hired me at Turner back in nineteen eighty nine, and he was like, May seven eight years in that studio chair. That's all. You know, you're not gonna want any more than that. Now it's been thirty five and and so there are a lot of things to do out there, and and so I can't wait for next year, can't wait to can't wait to stay with the guys. But uh, and then we'll just see for the years after that, if you know what comes up and what I what I feel like doing.
Speaker 2: Adam Lefko is listening intently on that that last hand left.
Speaker 3: Adam LEFTO is great. Yeah, he's really really, really solid and so but it's not. No, don't don't get this twisted. It's not like I'm gonna hang We're gonna hang up here and suddenly I I have retired. No. You know a lot of times when you're running a marathon from you can see the finish line from a long way away. Not that I have any marathon experience, so it's not like I'm not like, I'm in this sprint and the finish line is eight meters away, and it's just that I can. When you get to this point, it's like, all right, let's see how this is looking.
Speaker 4: They will survive without us, which is amazing, Ernie. They will.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you think the medium will continue? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but I've been told, hey, they'll survive without you, so I'm going to take.
Speaker 4: Their word for it. I'm done in three.
Speaker 3: Years, all right, So you've made the decision three years? Yes, How old will you be in three years?
Speaker 2: I will be seventy one, Yeah, but seventy one in three years. Why don't we go out together?
Speaker 3: Wouldn't that be nice?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Wouldn't that? That would just tug at the heart.
Speaker 2: But you go first, You go first, and then the next day I'll do it. I'm going to retire I think in Atlanta after the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: All right, and.
Speaker 15: Well maybe we could do it at CNN Center where you Yeah, you have some roots. Yeah, now we're talking. Yes, it'll be emotional. Yes, yes, that'll be great. I'll do another headline sports. You know, I'll do one more for the road. Oh man, maybe we're bring in van.
Speaker 2: Or all right and get Earl to do a CNN headline sports.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's gonna be great.
Speaker 3: Phil Van Whatever happened to Phil van Horn?
Speaker 2: By the way, I think he became a baseball coach, maybe in California.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Phil was my colleague and a friend of yours.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, Phil Van today? Yeah, I think he married a song girl from USC.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You do a lot more than I do.
Speaker 4: Well, I keep up on the song girls at USC. I'm just saying Phil has got it.
Speaker 3: Phil is somewhere right now saying, oh.
Speaker 4: Are they talking about me?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: Good to talk to you. Have fun and thanks again.
Speaker 3: Ernie, Always a pleasure, DP, Always a pleasure.
Speaker 4: That's Ernie Johnson