Speaker 1: Welcome into the Official Jets Podcast, Eric Allen and Bart Scott. This is a training camp special, and a training camp special means you got your credential out today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, hey man, listen, you can't soon. I don't recognize you in the building and you can't assume. Man, everybody has the inspiration date.
Speaker 1: Hey, first day of public out here as right, So the fans are out here to watch the Jets in action. What are you most excited about twenty twenty four training camp?
Speaker 2: Well, I think really what you want to focus on is what's different from last year, and in my opinion, was different from last year's the offensive line. Now, you know, last year, going into the season, the biggest concern was the offensive line of protection from an older quarterback. And you know, I want to see I've never I played against Tyrone Smith, but I've never watched him work and really been able to analyze him just by looking at him and watching him and you know, seeing how he prepares and how he you know, how he walks. Even I kin'd of even forget what he is as far as standing next to him. So I want to beat right, So I want to see how that works. But then at the same time, I want to see how Forshanu is mirroring him and how he's trying to learn from him. I want to see if he's asking questions, you know, because I believe that at some point in this season you're going to have to try and lean on for Shano a little bit, even if it's in blowout games, and you hope that there's many of them, that he can go out there and get some work and get some experience, and this can be a year which he can develop and still get some live action. I mean, who knows, maybe he can come out and be that extra tight end that tackle over and the Jets want to like kind of salt the game away and be able to kind of run the football and take the tight end out of me and yeah, ground and pound, you know what I mean, because that's usually what it comes down to. The game comes down to can you stop fourth and short or can you convert it? And so I want to see how this offensive line works for each other avt you know, being in one position, being able to settle in because I believe if he does that, I think the world and the rest of the NFL will know that he is you know, you know, he didn't make that top ten list of positions and all that stuff, But I believe if it wasn't for his injuries, and if you would have been at one place, he'd have been so dominant at this point, he'd have been probably ranked the number one guard in all the football. I really believe in that. I'm that bold on this guy's ability. And also I believe him not really having to lean on different muscles and go out to right tackle, left tackle, left guard, right guard allows his body to understand what the demands are for the position, so that muscle and those muscle fibers can get used to being there to avoid injury.
Speaker 1: So this is just a preview because he coming back in the regular season run.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, you know what I'm saying, I'm in preseason two. Be in preseason two. We getting used to him warming up, you know, I mean a vocals dang strong like they used.
Speaker 1: To even working out. I know a lot of people are listening.
Speaker 2: Well listen because I know you rippling still in Sexypil. I know you was going out there. You're probably on the beach working out like Rocky bell ball, you know what I mean? So I do I can't be on count up man, Yeah, exactly, I mean I can't be out here. You continue to up and then I'm getting bloated, you know what I mean. I'm gonna do that. We're gonna look like the number ten.
Speaker 1: All right, So you are on the radio here in New York every yesday. What's your messaging Ben about Hassan Raddick not reporting in TRENI camp.
Speaker 2: Well, for me, I've been a little bit of nothing to see here. I understand that it should be concerned, you know, because we expected him to be here during mini camps. We expected him to be here to training camp. And you know, as a fan and the fan base that calls in, they didn't think this was They thought there was a non issue. So they're concerned because they just want everything perfect. But if you look across the league, rather you talk about what's going on with to San Francisco forty nine, it's the fact that you know, we expected Brandon and I you to be unhappy. We didn't expect Trent Williams to be unhappy after they made him the first one hundred million dollar lineman. You know what I'm saying. Just a couple of years ago, he's like, no, I want more h and we see Ceed Lamb and we see Jordan Love. So it's just it's a new part of the business and I think it's something that the Jets are not unfamili with, you know, through the years of the revers years and you know, renegotiating the I think what has fans nervous is the fact that he was traded for It's not like he was here right right, But you know, I think what a great opportunity for McDonald Jermaine and I think he'll hit the ground running. And I think, you know, negotiations take time, but we know that deadlines breed action, and the more and more camp starts, you know, the greater the need to get him in camp to be hit the ground running because we all know what awaits us in Game one is a tremendous test, a test that I think that you would want sign Reddick really therefore to be able to be the difference potentially, you know, maybe getting to brock Purty and getting a pivotal sack or set in the edge and getting a tackle for loss on Christian McCaffrey. You're gonna need all hands on deck because we know the opponent in week one is maybe the greatest opponent will face all year.
Speaker 1: How about that? This is just practice too, So we're and get this podcast up on YouTube, New York, Just dot com, all our audio platforms is as always as soon as possible.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The reason why I want to do that is because Reddick could be here tomorrow. He could be here. Sad you don't know? All right, right, what do you envision?
Speaker 2: I mean, listen, we all know negotiations. How that worked. Me being in three different negotiations, I know how it works. I'm assuming that you know. Really the signing, in my opinion, probably Brian Burns kind of through a wrench. The fact that it's a guy right across town that's getting thirty million dollars a year and Hassan Reddick. If you go over the stats, it's only two or three guys that has more sacks than him in the last two years. Twenty seven sacks in the last two years. Crazy, I believe, never having less than double digit sacks since he's been a member of the Philadelphia Eagles. And how important he is, right because I feel like what he's going to allow Jermaine Johnson to do is you know, get the benefit of the doubt and go against the you know, single coverage a lot of times, and one he proves that he wins, then they're going to try and figure out, Okay, we keep sliding, you know, we keep sliding the line towards Quinnen and Reddick or Quinn and Quinn or Jermaine right now, you know, kinlock and eat right. So like he sets the table for so many people, and he really allows you to really have to pick your poison because at times if will McDonald can step up, right, then you talk about some type of NASCAR package where you're kicking maybe Johnson then because he's probably the bigger of all all three. And then now you got just all hands on deck. And that's what you anticipate, right because you think with Aaron Rodgers, you know his war and what he's capable of doing. Mike Williams, I'm excited to see what he's going to do because I feel like he's important to relieve the pressure from Garrett to eat and everybody wants to see what coral is all about.
Speaker 1: Why does Reddick win so much? He's got more than fifty sacks over the last forty seasons, and then in terms of taking the football away his force fumbles over the course of the last four years number one in the National Football League. Why is he able to get to the quarterback and win?
Speaker 2: Because he's Stevenson goal. So when I talk about it, I talk about violent, active hands, right. You know, he's always moving, he's always you know, changing the target, making itself skinny, tremendous hips hip flexion. And when you think about him, don't think about Miles Garrett, you know, don't think about you know, Joey Bosa. You know guys that are just you know, really big, strong, overly muscular sized guys. You know, when I think of him, I think about Rashim Robert mathis right, I think about oce human europe guys that are fluid, maybe not the biggest, can can can win with power, but win with athleticism and being able to have multiple moves, encounters, you know, perpetual motion. So I think that's why he wins. He says the edge when he needs to, but he's a guy that can win with his hit been and waste beend and its pliability.
Speaker 1: Do you think that Jets are gonna benefit from everything that went through last year? Hard knocks, reporting to training camp, early, playing in the Hall of Fame game, all the expectations, and what I said recently here on the pod is that I thought there was a newness to it, and externally everybody thought this was a show, whereas these guys have already went through it before and now they're starting anew and oh, by the way, they're starting a new with I think a roster that's better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a better roster, right. You know, when you think about the revamped line, I mean, if you go and don't take my work for you want to go to PFF or you want to go to all the experts out there. You know, the Jets have gone from the bottom, you know, other rankings when you consider you know, offensive line to top ten, you know, and I've seen them as high as top five offensive line and some you know, some rankings. Yeah, so you think about that, and you know, you think about what happened and what this offense, the line went through last year, all the different combinations. But also you consider that the guys last year that was the main guys that had to step up, are now valuable depth pieces with tremendous experience. So I mean I'm excited because I know around here that you know, they they love Carter Warren and so I'm excited to see what he can do. I'm excited to you know, being able to be that swing guy who knows Forshanu. You know, I think, you know, you can really lean on the fact that it's guys that you know, had to put their feet to the fire, and you know, if you know, I'm excited the fact that, Okay, we have a Ron, but then we have Tyrod Taylor. I'm very confident that, you know, if a a Ron need to take a couple of games off, or who side out or whatever like, I'm confident that Tyrock can come in and with this offense and with what he has, I think this is the best you know, weapons and protection that he's had. You know, he's played well last year with the Giants. We know what he did when he was with the Chargers. So I'm confident that, you know, in this day and age, you know a lot of teams, you know, have to use their backup for a game or two. I'm confident that if that happens, we have a professional there that can play at a high level.
Speaker 1: How much would you have enjoyed playing with Rogers because he's so intentional with everything he does inside the locker room, every movement, every meal. Guys he's going to be talking to after every play, the way he takes things in and then just communicates and there is a fire that still burns. That is impressive from a guy who's forty and has accomplished everything that he has so far.
Speaker 2: Well, it's tough for a guy, you know, and when you get you know too, you know, year twenty yep, and you know it's hard to find motivation. But the fact that you know he's coming off the season that he had last year, the fact that he's with a new organization, I think was something that you know, he's been doubted and you know people don't think he can pull it off. I think that's automotive that a great player needs, you know, to be able to refocus and say, hey, I can do this here. People you know, think I can play, but they don't. They don't think I could be elite. And I think that's really what the what the signment is. I mean, if I look at this roster, and being honest, I can look at this roster and I can go over you know, all the rosters in which Aaron Rodgers had, and I can even arguably say that, you know, this may be as good a roster that he has had since the year he won the Super Bowl. I want to, you know, still respect AJ Hawk and Charles Woodson and and Clay Matthews and BJ Rodger. I want to respect those guys, but I would put the personnel on this defense right there with them and say that arguably could be better.
Speaker 1: Yo, what would have happened that year if the Jets were lining up against Aaron Rodgerson.
Speaker 2: I mean I was. I was excited because you know, we had seen them and it was nine points and if we were saw him again, I think they were just as excited that the Stellers won than if they think yes as well. Yeah, I mean that was the defense that we could take.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 2: We took away what they do well, you know, on the flip side, their defense dominated our offense. But you know, Aaron Rodgers, you know, could want to take a little couple more chances in the Super Bowl. Nobody wants to try to win the Super Bowl nine nine zero, you know, but you know in the regular season you'll take it, you know, So I think we would have got.
Speaker 1: Him different offense now, different player. Now, what is different about Rogers than the guy you did face in that regular season you're talking.
Speaker 2: About, Well, well, I think he's comfortable with himself. Right before, you know, he was still starting. He hadn't won a championship yet, right, and I think he's comfortable in who he is. And I think at this point, I think the defenses that he faces now are much easier than the defense that he faces then. We saw this with Tom Brady and some of the comments that he made about how you know, guys don't study like they used to. Yeah, how you know? You talk about how you know quarterbacks Defenders are being punished for bad quarterback play because the game has been made easier because you can just throw a guy into a hit, but a guy can't hit him anymore. So now that gives you more space to take take risks because you know it's no penalty of your guy coming back and saying, hey man, you just got my head knocked off, because you can't do that anymore. So I think Aaron Rodgers now he can win more with his mind then he has to with his body. And I think that's the game. I mean, you think about some of the guys that have won championships later in their career, it was this formula, right, they didn't have to be He doesn't have to be MVP Rodgers. No, I will take MVP Rodgers, but he doesn't have to be because of the supporting cast. It's so much better around him than when he won those MVPs.
Speaker 1: Garret Wilson said he studied film recently of Rogers and what he did in Green Bay and the opposing defensive coordinators tried to counter him. What do you what do you anticipate this year? Not so much from Wilson, but as we'll get to him in the.
Speaker 2: STEM a home's treatment. But I'm a homes treatment right.
Speaker 1: Because you're talking about m v P, I'm wondering if the Jets have an m v P in the offensive backfield. Yeah, the quarterback certainly could be one.
Speaker 2: Yeah means it's hard. It's hard for Yeah, even though like when we see that Christ McCaffrey didn't get it, you know, Yeah, last person to get it was Adrian Peterson. It's hard for that guy. You got to get over two thousand to do that. And even when you get close to two thousand. They still gonna find a way to give it to a quarterback because quarterbacks are throwing close to five thousand yards now. So I can I can see Brees Hall as the you know, offensive you know, the offensive player, offensive player of the year. But I can see Aaron Rodgers if everything goes well, he can push for the m v P. If they if the Jets are thirteen and four, I mean, everybody's gonna eat.
Speaker 1: I just don't know the counter. I guess I'm so fascinated by that opening matchup that you talked about San Francisco.
Speaker 2: So to me, to me, when you look at that opening matchup, these are identical teams. It's pretty much the same thing. Quinn Williams, Hark Graves, Nick Bosa, Son, Reddick McCaffrey, Hall McCaffrey, right linebacker, Fred Warner, C. J. Mosley. You know Greenlaw won't be there, but you would give the just advantage on as far as the cornerback position. But you know, you can see Salad definitely built his team to and a split an image of the San Francisco forty nine ers. You talk about great left tackle, great left tackle, right right, great guard, great guard, it's the similarities, are you know? The difference is to experience that quarterback right. You talk about the wide receiver position, are you Garrett? Yeah, and Mike Williams when he's on could be on and I can say, who knows? I think curly, can they see Deebo Samuels in them? Like, yeah, I see, I see, I see people see you. I can Percy Harvin, Deebo Samuels the big physical guy that they can use in multiple ways to get the ball.
Speaker 1: In this ultimately gonna play the long game. When Mike Williams he starts camp on the pup is gonna take the same They're gonna take the same approach they did with Breese last year and hopefully you get the same sort of production, just at a different position. But what does his edition mean for Garrett? What does it mean for Breese?
Speaker 2: The first Well, if somebody is somebody that's gonna force force teams to play more honest, can't lean that safety over there? Cover three? Nobody's leaning because if if you see, you know, Mike Williams on the backside with one on one covers with the safety, no safety over the top. What do you think Aaron is gonna do. He's gonna check to a face, checked to a back shoulder. He's gonna get that guy to you know, the ball. I mean, he's one of the most deadly deep threats there have been in the league in the last couple of years. So you give that guy opportunity, then team's got to get out of that because Garrett Wilson is running slants, comebacks, goals not so much. He'll go deep, but he's not always going you know, you know the nine route. Mike Williams is a nine route guy. So like you're doing that, you're trying to bracket Garrett because you know, you're trying to get somebody underneath jam and be physical at the line. And if you do that, you can't double everybody, right, you still have to try and figure out, Hey, man, like we don't really want our linebacker against Breeze Hall in space and man and man coverage too often. Dude cast seventy seventy six balls last year, Like, dude cast seventy six balls. We really don't want that happens, right, So we blocked so so now and then so it's like the you know, it's like the the it's the game you play like, okay, well if you double him, now it's now it's ten on ten. I mean you know it's eleven on eleven because now you're using two for their one. So now okay, who you gonna double? So you know, really Conklin and and Corley and Brest and all set by the table of of Garrett and I would love to see like when they when they do decide to put like Wizard out. I mean, I expect better production from him because you know he yeah, but but the fact that you know, I know he had a down year and people were down on him, but we didn't see him with Aaron. Aaron knows how to get the best, so I expect to see the best version of him. So if he gives us four hundred five hundred yards receiving that, that that's a blessing.
Speaker 1: Right you got to account for in the red zone, right, Right.
Speaker 2: It's like, you know, like what kind of packages can you give him to kind of make him do things that he does well? And Aaron knows what he does well, so it's all those little things, right. It's like when you talk about champions championships, it's not those guys that you expect to kill you. That kill you. That's what we expect. When we had our success. Who was it? It was Jericho, it was Brad, it was Brad Smith. It was guys like that that killed you. It was like, yeah, Braylen and Santonio, that's good, but those but you expect that from them. That's what you pay them for. It was those guys that broke your heart because like coach, we stopped on so they didn't get off today. But yeah, but yeah, Brad took a kickoff return eighty yards or you know, ja yeah, or Jericho caught caught something over the middle on a pivotal third down and you know, like what do you do with that? So like, it's those guys, And now I can see that we have those guys in place. Now let's see it, Bromley. Let's see that those guys and step up and and be like the difference. But they should be expecting and trying to be unsunned heroes.
Speaker 1: Set up good opportunity for the young guys with reps right throughout the summer, because yes, Mike's gonna be back eventually, but right now you talk about like unless are it's not young, but he's in a bounce back mode. Xavier Gibson second year. You mentioned Brownlee irv Charles a Special Teams contributor who wants you know, I.
Speaker 2: Want to see these run. I want to see these running backs too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, run Allen Isaiah Davis.
Speaker 2: And is he? Yeah? Second year? Yeah? Can can? Is he be the ach hand to Mustard?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean? Can he be that guy? Come in? Ye?
Speaker 1: Dude, you realize how big Brelan Allen is he?
Speaker 2: You look like a small little man already. Know that's what I'm saying. But that's what I'm talking about. That's why I'm excited to see those guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay. Defensively though, you mentioned kin Law, I'm very intrigued by this siding. Former first round pick. Yeah, reunites with Sala Solo on San Francisco defensive court in twenty twenty. What do you think about his talents and the thought process that, Hey, anytime the Jets get a free agentle on that defensive line they start.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's once again he's gonna get favorable matchups because the guy next to him is gonna be drawn the double team, So he's gonna get opportunities and also, you know, fortunate for him, he has great pass rushers on the outside, whether it's Reddick or Johnson, so he's gonna get favorable matchups and he should have a lot to prove because he's on a one year and he his career hasn't taken off like we anticipated. So this is an opportunity to rewrite the story.
Speaker 1: No doubt McDonald. You mentioned him before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'm excited to see the growth. I want to see his body. That's why I want to go out there physically see.
Speaker 1: Him and one moment here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I want to see the difference in his body and maturing, right, because you talk about that's obvious, that's obvious. Yeah, but like yeah, yeah, we talked about appliability and being able to bend the corner, stuff like that, so we know all that, we know what explosed the first step the issues are and were Can he set the edge and and make things go inside? Can he be physical at the point of attack and sometimes last year he tried to run around and uses athleticism to.
Speaker 1: Do that, and you can't do that.
Speaker 2: You can't do that in the NFL because you you're you're opening the gate. You're you're widening the space. So you have to be able to set hard edges, and you know you only do that. You saw that with Jermaine Johnson last year. Came back physically ready. You may be athletically ready the first year, but wasn't physically ready to be able to handle the physical demands. Remember a lot of times, you know, these guys are gonna be on the left tackle, who's usually the best player, highest paid player on the team. But if you go on the right tackle, that's usually the war daddy, that's the guy that they run behind right and he has to make sure that whenever it's a tight end, that's that's not even up for debate. That's a win every time. If they ever decided to put a tight end out there to decide, I don't care even if it's George Kittle week one. You gotta be able to, you know, you know, fight your ass off to be able to set that ed.
Speaker 1: So you talked about it. We put it up on the telestration last year. Like Jermaine's power, how he did take that step between year one and two. But his body's definitely different than will right like he was thicker.
Speaker 2: But but Will just needs to be more what he was last year. And the use of that happens because you're not training to run fast for forty. You you you're able to get the apple rest. You know, you know your first year is crazy because you go straight from football season to training and combine and tests and all that stuff. It's the longest year of your life. This year, he was able to after the season, watch football, let his body heel and train to be stronger. You didn't have to worry about running and being faster. Nobody, You'll never run a forty again. Nobody cares about getting faster. It's nobody trying to get faster. They might try to get quicker, and nobody trying to get faster. They trying to get grow into their main man body and become more physically mature.
Speaker 1: So for him for the next even a couple of years.
Speaker 2: Ago, yeah, I mean listen to everybody remembers like we remember, like let's take let's take a basketball and allergy. We remember the first year, what Giannis looked like, what Yiannis look like. Now, we remember what Michael Jordan remember what I remember what Michael Jordan used to look like A couple of bad boy pisses, bad losses. What do he look like right? So like he's he's got the resources and the knowledge to invest in his body now and become a true professional, not a student athlete. So let's see what the professional Will McDonald has done in this offseason.
Speaker 1: So he only had a couple of minutes to get you out to practice, like a promise. Speaking of knowledge and resources.
Speaker 2: CJ.
Speaker 1: Mosley, you're a guy who played in the National Football League after thirty What is the challenge when the body is changing? But you know the game mentally about anybody?
Speaker 2: Well, listen, he the good thing is he's at the right position. He's at the middle linebacker. So the middle linebacker those demands for physically isn't as demanding as the guy that's playing the will the jack or the guy next to him. You know, that's that's Quincy's job.
Speaker 1: Ye.
Speaker 2: Quincy's job is to be the crazy athletic run catch all these running backs, you know, CJ. To be able to be a field general, tell guy for the go anticipation, and to be able to make the tackles. We know he's always one of the most productive tackles in the game. But a lot of his tackles, especially when you talk about setting edges with those great defensive ends, he's going to be playing from from sea gap to sea gap, not having to worry about the d gap too often because of the guys doing their job and guys playing at a high level. So I think you know, when you look at the inside linebackers that play the longest, it's usually the middle linebacker that plays longer than the willl linebacker because the wheel linebacker has to go out in space and do a lot more of that, so he's he's in the right position for the right time. So you know, you look at Bobby Wagoner still playing at a high level, that's because he's inside. You look at some of the other guys, even to Mario Davis playing inside, it's the guys like the Lance Briggs of the world that that that like oh man, like these running backs real quick or oh man, I'm like, they go to a slot. I gotta go out there and I gotta put hands on on a on a receiver like in cover too, Like whoa, he quick, I missed him, you know what I mean? Like CJ. He's fine, He'll never be he'll never be past the guard.
Speaker 1: Jets corner is a great safety position.
Speaker 2: Yeah he can. We'll get bracket help. That's why I see when you have great corners, then you get an extra defender. So even if CJ's out there, he knows how to use his tools to bracket guys with his help.
Speaker 1: We didn't see Chuck Clark. You are very familiar with him from your relationship to the guys out in Baltimore. What does he bring to the table. What did you see from Tony last year? Ashton back as well? Sometimes he plays big Knickel what big picture? What's your thoughts on the safety position?
Speaker 2: I mean, well safety, like safety is one that you know if there is a I won want to say weakness, but it's a unknown. Yeah, it's kind of there, right. Everybody else is like top five and everything right, and safety is the only thing that you would probably say other teams have higher rated safety. So I think people gonna forget. You know, before last year, Chuck Clark one never missed games, but two, I mean he was a beast enforced her big play guy with Baltimore or the issue wasn't that he wasn't a baller. The issue was that they paid Marcus Williams and then they eventually drafted Kyle Hamilton just you know, because Ravens, not because they needed the safety, because Ravens are always gonna take the best player available. So it was that. So that's what kind of pushed him out. And they did the Jets a solid because they know that, you know, the relationship you know with Chuck, and they wanted Chuck to do right by Chuck. So they sent him to a place where a great defense and now he has an opportunity. Didn't work out for him last year. But I think people a lot of people don't realize just what he was supposed to be. Sure tackler, big play guy, always been, you know what I mean, And now he gets to go up but come back and prove it and you know, steaks claim and say, don't worry, we're good on safety over here. I know a lot of people are looking like, oh, Justin Simmons is still out there and all that stuff. But I think I think we're good, and I think ashing the light finally turned on and he can become like that Eric Smith or James Heady Bow where he has his package where he comes in and he doesn't have to, you know, take all the other plays. But he's capable of going out and doing that as he continues to develop as a.
Speaker 1: Broke Antonio Commarti's out there coaching.
Speaker 2: You know. Yeah, man, that's all. I'm gonna come tell him that him and Reavers need to kitch and make up. Man, we don't do that. We don't fight in public.
Speaker 1: All right, man, enjoy the vacation, great, Seni you and we'll be back right here in September.
Speaker 2: Absolutely