Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of no Res Trends to Get Excited.
Speaker 2: This courtesy of Max.
Speaker 1: Are on the Discord A little along the Watchtower, no Trends to Get x Excited, Max R.
Speaker 2: Who did it better?
Speaker 1: Who did it better?
Speaker 3: Mere?
Speaker 1: Jimmy? Who do you think? Uh?
Speaker 2: Wait, isn't it? But Bob Dylan wrote it? Right?
Speaker 1: Bob Dylan wrote it, Jimmy performed it, and so did Dave Matthews Band, which I have to admit I'm a little more familiar with the Dave Matthews Band of it from.
Speaker 2: Live at the Red Brock.
Speaker 4: Did he really be like there must be some way out of here, like Matthews exactly.
Speaker 2: Somewhere addle headdle here up, don't go.
Speaker 1: To the deep? Wow?
Speaker 2: All right, I don't even think together? Yeah, lice to go high love. The man has.
Speaker 1: Vocal range, having any vocal range, he's got like funny voice vocal range, like he's doing Muppet voices up there, and god bless you know. Yep, forty thousand drunk teenagers can't be wrong.
Speaker 2: Nope, they never can be Never. Did we say who we are? No? I think we're just I and you're Jimmy Hendrix.
Speaker 1: I'm David David Matthews, and these well, these miles are some things that are trending. They got him, They got a speaker, Baby, they did it, folks.
Speaker 4: They settled on someone who had all of the requisite qualities to be the Republican Speaker of the House. Insurrectionist chack islamophobe, chack, yeah, homophobe, oh yeah, xenophobe. Oh yeah, we'd check this. Yeah, I mean, it's it's the typical thing of like marijuana will make you what's the first puff is marijuana, the second one is heroin. But yeah, Mike Johnson from Louisiana, who some people describe as just Jim Jordan, like in a suit Jim.
Speaker 1: Jordan, but he like wears glasses, he like looks boring, and that it really feels like they have like that is the calculation. He's like far right extremist, but he looks like he's not. Maybe he looks like just a lawyer, which he is a lawyer and in fact was like one of the big proponents of getting Republicans behind Trump's attempt to overturn the.
Speaker 4: T So this guy's this guy's he's again, he's got the requisite qualities again, his character check lower than snake nipples.
Speaker 1: Snake nipples, that boy from the Louisiana.
Speaker 2: We'll see what I mean, we'll see what this guy does. It's it's gonna be predictable.
Speaker 4: It's it's gonna be fucking chaos. But hey, they came together, and who knows how long he will last?
Speaker 1: There is you know, yeah, it's it feels like it's just pure exhaustion embarrassment. Like they heard people repeatedly saying like, wow, they really seem like their party might be on the verge of collapse. They can't even go for someone, and they were like, why don't we get behind the worst, the worst one who kind of looks like he's not a crazy person.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I mean it's this is like he was also remembering their time of like expunging Donald Trump's like record and ship. He was like one of the people pushing for that. So yep, there it is. So we'll see what's what, We'll see how little is done and who knows if there's a shutdown coming up.
Speaker 1: But hey, they said you want some coke, there it is there.
Speaker 2: It is through him.
Speaker 1: Of coke on the ground.
Speaker 2: That's a reference to the departed.
Speaker 1: So people the pilot who turned off the engine, the fuel supply to the engine, off duty pilot, off duty, offtuty pilot. He was not the pilot of the plane. He was off duty, was sitting in the jump seat, tried to turn off fuel to the engine. He was having a mental health crisis. But the thing people are focusing on is that he had taken what is being described by CNN as magic mushrooms.
Speaker 2: Are magic? Yeah, I mean yeah, it's every headline CNN.
Speaker 4: Off duty pilot accused of trying to shut off Airliners engine midflight. He took quote magic mushrooms forty eight hours before. NBC off duty last Carolines plane pilot said he took magic mushrooms forty eight hours before allegedly trying to shut down the plane. Pilot who allegedly tried to shut off engines hadn't. This is a better one from ABC News, which is I think a little more important. Pilot who allegedly tried to shut off engines hadn't slept in forty hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'll do you.
Speaker 2: Because it's funny too.
Speaker 4: In that CNN article where they're like, hey man, the magic mushrooms, they talked to a fucking like like a substance expert who's like, yeah, they the psilocybin probably wouldn't have been in his system like that forty eight hours later like anything. It's it's not like, you know, it's like alcohol. It's like your body processes it and then you're not drunk anymore. But yeah, maybe things can linger along with the fact that he said he was like I think having some kind of like panic attack too.
Speaker 2: But everyone's going all in on the shrooms.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, and it's not great. It's not great to do psilocybin when you're going through a mental health crisis, which it seems like this person did. So yeah, all around scary story, but I don't don't.
Speaker 2: Don't blame the psilocybin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it feels like this could be used to like kind of throw water on a lot of exciting research being done into clinical uses for psilocybin. Did not do it clinically, would be.
Speaker 2: No, no, probably a macro dose as well. But yeah, like, oh.
Speaker 4: Here there's one big pharmanews dot com. Psilocybin almost killed a plane full of airline passengers.
Speaker 2: You that that sounds like that sounds like a headline, they would.
Speaker 1: Write, that's right. Uh, should we be getting ready for a concert film boom?
Speaker 2: Miles? Oh, should we tell?
Speaker 1: People are telling me that's what I'm hearing from the Hollywood Reporter. Okay, first news source that I check every morning, every morning. But yeah, following the success of the Aras Tour, movie industry analysts are expecting there there will be a boom in concert films. We also have Beyonce's Renaissance Tour movie, which was already scheduled to come out in December. I think a big part of what we're seeing here is that the artists are working directly with AMC and theater chains and are in turn receiving in excess of fifty percent of box office grosses.
Speaker 2: Ho, that's good for them, that's the deal, and shout out. I love that.
Speaker 4: AMC is like, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, we can just split that. I mean, yeah, we'll do sixty forty. Yeah take forty because we don't we're not doing anything except distribution.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yah, h okay.
Speaker 1: Dolly Parton is going to be releasing her album into Like she's having a listening first listen event with like a couple behind the scenes, you know, video film things for an upcoming album.
Speaker 2: So it's a listening party in video.
Speaker 1: Form in movie in movie theaters, which I don't know, like seeing people dancing down in front of the screen at the eras tour, like just being like this is not like we shouldn't be having a conversation about movie etiquette because this is not a movie going experience in any traditional sense. This is like using a movie theater for a different thing. Yeah, it's kind of cool, like it, Hey, look there's a dance floor down right in front of the screen. I do feel like the I've had this thought before, and now it seems like it's like kind of happening that, like the movie theater is an underutilized space, like for sure, to only use this big public viewing thing with like wildly expensive projection and sound systems only to show like movies that just came out, so like a tiny fraction of the movies that are available for people to watch, which itself like movies are a tiny fraction of the audio visual entertainment that's available for people to watch and enjoy and experience. Like you know, there are obviously, like the anniversary re releases and revival theaters that show old movies, but it feels like that could be something that would be used more mainstream, Like it I could see a world in like ten years we're looking back and being like, why did most theaters only show a tiny like sliver like three movies that had just come out? Like that feels weird to me? Why not, Like have people who are great curators have like proven themselves to be great curators like programming your theater on a regular basis?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think like it not just like to the point where it doesn't have to be just film.
Speaker 2: Like I'm always like, yeah, when there's like a big.
Speaker 4: Like you know, like a like World Cup or something like that happening, it was like, why don't you just open up, Like why don't you could pack that theater out if people want to just watch a game in that, because look, it's basically a giant fucking TV. So if you look at it that way, you could do all kinds of different shit in there, not.
Speaker 2: Just being like hey come watch Yeah, you know, I think like like.
Speaker 1: Toyed with that before, but now seems to be now that like all of these you know, different uh, economic like structures that have ruled how entertainment works for the past six decades are like breaking down and you know, not not always for the better. It feels like this could be a way for people to just like work directly with theaters and you know, use the natch abilities of movie theaters, like right things cool.
Speaker 4: Like what if you went and you could watch like the first three episodes of like Watchmen, you know, like in a theater and just kind of take it in that. I mean like, I feel like there's so many ways you could just like revive things that a ton of people liked and be like, hey, hey, you want to see that except in a theater. Yeah, as like Victors Superdus a Victor's playing. What about Super Smash Bros. Tournament in a movie theater? Yeah, you know, people come out for shit like that. I'd go and fucking play FIFA probably in a movie. The problem is I can't really turn up in a movie there. That's the other thing that would be you know nice if they made it like truly like an all purpose venue. So yeah, you can drink in there, you can eat in there, Yeah, whatever you want to do.
Speaker 1: That was what like we sometimes will runt out of a theater and watch a movie like as a team, you know, hang, hang and like it. The big thing that is fun about that is like you can just talk out out loud, you know, be and be obnoxious.
Speaker 2: You're in the living room, yeah, with your.
Speaker 1: Friends, because you know that your friends are as obnoxious as you are.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then you're like, wait, did you guys hear that what I just said about Elvis?
Speaker 1: Everybody, shut the fuck up, shut a funny thing about Elvis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's Nicole, Nicole.
Speaker 1: We were the first ones to cheer for Nicole when she came out at the beginning of the movie, cheering. All right, let's take a quick break and and we're back.
Speaker 2: We're back, We're back, all right.
Speaker 1: Peter Richard Brown Tree StarCraft passed away at eighty one. One of the greats to ever do it. Chucky. So we were talking, We're talking child's play, Miles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that was.
Speaker 1: That was earlier today and earlier dead day. I could care that. I'm pretty your battery's done. Your battery's dying, which is batteries out once. I know, I know, Joe, I know, I know, Joe, kiss you, yeah, I know you just want to kiss me.
Speaker 2: I know. I know, let's get you to your bed.
Speaker 1: So you did a little dive. And where where does this come from?
Speaker 2: I mean it was more so.
Speaker 4: I just came across the headline about the origin story of the Chucky movies, and like, I guess, at first a lot of fans thought the Chucky Doll was based on this story about someone called Robert that haunted doll, and where a boy named Robert was given a doll by like one of his like like the maids that like worked for his family. And obviously this doll was cursed with voodoo because the maid wanted to get payback against the family for mistreating her. I'm like, hold on, that might be the story, more so than blaming the doll like for mistrading mistreating your domestic workers. And yeah, but apparently like this doll was like haunted, would move and yell and shit and do all kinds of freaky shit.
Speaker 2: However, that is not the reason we have the Chucky movies.
Speaker 4: Apparently the guy who came up with the film, Don Mancini, which is not like a made up mob character. He came up for the idea because of like the Cabbage Patch.
Speaker 2: Kids boom that was going on yeah.
Speaker 4: And like in nineteen I didn't realize I knew they were, they were like popular, but did you know there was like the like they called they called it the cabbage.
Speaker 2: Patch kid riots.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because parents were so like so turned up trying to get their hands on cabbage patch kids.
Speaker 1: One of my first pop culture memories is my older sister being like it being a huge deal when she finally got her cabbage patch kid.
Speaker 4: Yo, this is what I just want to play a clip from nineteen eighty three, like a local news clip in Wilkesbury, Pennsylvania, where they talk about how like it's the fucking it's just turn up city at the toy store this wilkes.
Speaker 3: Valley, Pennsylvania store, the pushing and shoving began. One woman was knocked to the floor and stuffed a broken leg.
Speaker 4: This guy's are yelling he's gotta stick and he's like fighting customers back.
Speaker 3: This scene has been repeated in hundreds of stores across the country that advertise the Cabbage Patch Kids. The cabbage patch.
Speaker 1: Anyway, it's just funny because dolls look like shit. They kind of close up of the doll. The doll looks like absolute shit.
Speaker 4: Listen how this reporter actually describes how, like Whack the cabbage Dollar is.
Speaker 3: Our dolls about sixteen inches high. They don't walk, talk with their pants, or grow hair. They don't do much of anything.
Speaker 2: Okay, they don't go peepy or sneak.
Speaker 1: The thing that was cool about them is they give you adoption papers when you get the cabbage patch.
Speaker 2: Doll, right right, right exactly, So that was like cool.
Speaker 4: That's the backdrop against which this guy came up with the idea. So it and his whole thing was like he wanted to be sort of like a tale about how consumerism and advertising it can like lead to bad things because in the movie, right, it's about getting like one of these good guys dolls, but the mom is so desperate in getting it she got to like just buy like a yank one from a.
Speaker 2: Dude on the street, which ends up being a murderous chucky doll. Yeah. So yeah.
Speaker 4: It turns out his dad was an advertising so from like a very young age he always like looked at these like commercials and the way things were marketed and was like this is fucked up.
Speaker 1: Like this there's a soullessness to it. What if you build that soullessness with the soul of a serial killer.
Speaker 2: Boom boom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's tales oldest time, you know, but truly the clip that we just showed, or that we just watched, the person working at the store during the Cabbage Patch Kid praise was having a complete like he's screaming at the top of his lungs. Yeah, he's like left his body and it's just it.
Speaker 4: Looks like he's like he's trying to protect his family from like a wolf pack attack, like with like a with like a stick.
Speaker 2: He's like that fuck back. It's a close on it.
Speaker 1: It's a close up on his face. If they had pulled back and he was swinging a torch around that people like that, that would have felt like it covered covered off on like the energy he was giving.
Speaker 4: There's one more clip I just want to play, like towards the end of that report where they're asking like how it's just become like it's set off a collectible boom and they ask like this one older woman who's like in her seventies like about it, and she's like, I hate it.
Speaker 2: I don't like them.
Speaker 3: I don't like them, I don't like their faces, but I want one.
Speaker 1: I don't like their faces, but I want one. I don't like them, So I always assumed it was a comment on the My Buddy dolls. Do you remember them?
Speaker 2: Yeah, My Buddy's that song.
Speaker 1: Is fully burnt into the neuropathways of my brain, and that that's kind of who Chucky looks like, right, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's like it's all yeah, yeah, yeah, there's like like all of those things kind of swirled together to create the Chucky as we know it. Yeah, I mean, I think there's also like something about the nature of consumerism and that instead of like having friends, you have a toy that is a friend that like fills in for this human connection that we used to have and for something unnatural to slip in there. And that unnatural thing to be the soul of a dead serial killer who got shot on top of a doll exactly, you know, is that what happens? He gets like shot in a doll factory or something.
Speaker 4: And then yeah, he like he and he uses voodoo to put his soul in the doll after like a cop gets him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because he can avoid it, can avoid accountability.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it's uh, but it's true. I mean like you think about the eighties man, like that we were just bared in that shit, you know what I mean, Like we were bombarded with commercials and ads that made you feel like a total dick if you didn't have a Teddy Ruckspin or a fucking glowworm or some shit. So I you know, I see, I see that part, and I didn't have a fucking glow worm or a fucking Teddy ruckspin.
Speaker 2: That's why I'm all fucked in the head. Now, that's right. You're twisted, man, I'm real twisted freak man. I never had no glow worm. I'm sick all right, feel bad tempo.
Speaker 1: Those are some of the things that are trending on this Wednesday, October twenty fifth. We are back tomorrow with a whole less episode of oh H. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy is and we will talk to you all tomorrow. Fight bite