Speaker 1: Pushkin. I'm Jacob Goldstein and this is What's Your Problem. Two quick things before we start the show today. One, we're going to take a little break of a few weeks after this week's episode, but we'll be back soon. And two, I want to say thanks for listening. I really appreciate it. I want to keep making a show that you like, so please feel free to email us at problem at pushkin dot fm. You can also find me on LinkedIn or on x formerly known as Twitter at Jacob Goldstein. Okay, that's the housekeeping. Now here's today's show. My guest today is Brian McClendon. He's the chief technology officer at a company called Niantic Spatial, and his problem is this, how do you make maps better? Specifically, how do you take the two dimensional maps that we have today and turn them into three dimensional maps that change over time to keep up with changes in the real world. Maps like this would be very useful for robots. For one thing, Brian's company is in fact doing a pilot with a robot delivery company, those little robots that drive down the sidewalk to bring you a pizza or whatever. But the maps could also be useful for people. For example, the company is working on a project with the US Coast Guard to build better flight simulators for helicopter pilots, and the kind of maps that the company is building could also be useful for augmented reality, and in fact, Niantic Spatial spun out of the company that made Pokemon Go, the augmented reality game. Brian's been working on maps for a long time. In the early two thousands, he worked at a mapping startup that got acquired by Google in two thousand and four, and Google turned the project he was working on into Google Earth, and after that, Brian kept working on mapping at Google until twenty fifteen. In our conversation, Brian and I discussed the problems he's working on now trying to build better maps, including why trees are his nemesis. Also, we talked about what it will take to teach Ai to understand the physical world, but to start. Brian told me the biggest lesson that he learned about mapping during his time at Google.
Speaker 2: The most interesting thing is that map data in two thousand and four, you know, was already digital. We had suppliers that you could buy map data from, and you know, map quest was out there showing you a little little map on the screen on your website, on their website. But what we discovered when we started build Google Maps, we used that same data and we showed it to our users and launched in two thousand and five. We came up with this idea of street view, where we'd go take pictures of a lot of places around around the city and publish them.
Speaker 1: Can I say, by the way, because I remember when that happened and when I heard of that, and I when I first heard of it, I was like, surely they're not going to drive cars with cameras on every street and take pictures, Like, surely that's too much. But no, that's what it was like so wildly ambitious, just on a logistical level.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, that was It was a crazy project.
Speaker 2: You know, Larry Page gets credit for coming up with the idea and then following through and supporting us as we built it.
Speaker 1: What did you say when someone was it Larry Page who said to you, hey, let's do this, Who told you about it?
Speaker 2: You know, Larry, Larry had actually taken a video camera and driven around the Stanford campus, you know, you know, sort of systematically and said, you know, why can't we do this for the whole world?
Speaker 1: What did you say when he said, why can't we do this for the whole world? What did you say?
Speaker 3: I said, he's Larry Page and it's his money. Man. If he wants to do it, we'll give it a shot.
Speaker 2: And and honestly that's you know, the support that Google had for organizing the world's information was incredibly strong.
Speaker 3: I mean, Larry was serious about this.
Speaker 2: And we initially built a very expensive data collection van that drove around a few cities. Then we started to drive other cars that were cheaper but still okay, and then that's when we launched the service. And then we eventually said we need to do this for the entire United States. And the reason we did this was that when we launched the first cities, the first thing that people said was they looked at the pictures on the screen, and then they looked at their map data, and they started complaining about the map data. How can you get this wrong? I have a picture right here, this shows a street sign and a street number, and you have it completely in a different location. So a picture is worth a thousand words and probably megabytes of actual useful data. And there hadn't been any systematic sort of extraction of the value from those pictures, because that's not how maps had been made in the past. And so the big insight we ever had was that map data to that moment was not good.
Speaker 1: And by taking pictures for the first time, people could in a scaled way look at a photo right next to right on top of the map data and see like, oh, the map is wrong, and this photo proves that. Like it was the moment when people understood how wrong maps in general were exactly.
Speaker 2: And people always kind of knew this because they always got frustrated every now and then when they'd use the maps and they would fail. But now we had this much larger complaint body, and we knew that the data that we'd been buying from third parties wasn't good, and so we decided to make our own maps. And the biggest basis for that was the street view pictures themselves. And we drove all of the US, Canada, Mexico in two thousand and eight, and by two thousand and thirteen we had driven fifty countries.
Speaker 1: So the point of street view was not just for the like, hey, you can look at pictures, it's to get better data as an input to the sort of more traditional maps. Absolutely, I never knew that. Is that why Apple Maps sucked when it first came out, because they didn't have them.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad you said. It keeps me from saying that.
Speaker 1: I remember when it happened. I remember they fired the guy. Remember they fired the guy. But is that why? Because they just were buying the normal map data and everybody was comparing it to Google and you guys had literally driven cars on every street in America to figure it out.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right, and they eventually got their Apple Apple has driven you know, many millions of miles themselves, But if you look at it worldwide, I would say that Google is still probably better.
Speaker 1: I don't have a dog in that fight. It is interesting how both Google and Apple had these We're just throwing off crazy amounts of money, right each for their own special reasons, but we're reinvesting it in an interesting way that like x Ante, I would not have guessed. Right, Like this sort of search giant and the fancy phone maker becoming kind of going to the vanguard of mapping is not obvious.
Speaker 2: So I think when Steve Jobs added Google Maps to the iPhone very very quickly. He realized it was strategic and you know, he knew that because there was a GPS on the phone and because he now had a you know, pan and zoom capable touch screen, that he had a you know, an amazing new method for helping people understand the world.
Speaker 3: And so getting that map data on there was very important.
Speaker 2: And Android and iOS both had it very quickly. But the moment you do that, you have the same problem with street view showed was that people walk around, they look at their map and they look up at the street around them, and it's wrong. And so they knew that, you know, the biggest complaint they would be getting was this factual failure from their users about their maps.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well a map that's wrong is worse than no map, arguably.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: I mean, were there surprises to you about, you know, sort of what what developed, what didn't developed, how people used Google Maps, things you thought might happen that didn't happen.
Speaker 2: I think one of the things that you know, we probably speculated about. But if you realized that Google Earth and Maps launched in February and June of two thousand and five.
Speaker 3: In August, Katrina happened, and.
Speaker 1: Katrina was Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was an incredible hurricane, did huge amounts of damage and the city of New Orleans was flooded, you know, completely, and this turned into a challenge for you know, everybody involved, you know, both for just escaping the city and going to the right places, but then it became about rescuing people on rooftops. And the problem now was the streets were gone and they couldn't figure out where things were. And so it turned out that the helicopter pilots at the time used Google Earth to find out where the address was on the picture and then use the picture to navigate their helicopter to find the people waiting on the roof. And there were literally hundreds of rescues done using Google Earth's bipilots, you know, a few months after we'd released it, and that was that was a big surprise for us.
Speaker 1: It is extremely interesting to me that the company right now spun out of the company that made Pokemon Go, and that there was this kind of kernel of an idea which was like, oh, hey, people you have playing Pokemon Go have taken a billion photos in the world, like truly a billion photos. This is an interesting data set. Maybe we can do something with it. I mean, if I understand right, that was before you got there, But like, how did that playoff? Did they know when they were launching Pokemon Go that like, oh, we're going to get this data? Did somebody realize it?
Speaker 2: So interestingly, I think the uh, you know, John John Hankey definitely had a very long term vision. He was thinking about not just the game itself, but about games in the real world. Now, the photos that were taken initially by Pokemon Go players were you know, taking a picture of a Pokemon into location. You know that those photos stayed private. What happened was that John, seeing the future, said, can we create a game mode where players consciously go out and record videos for us of poke stops and help us map these locations by recording videos. So it was a conscious gameplay activity where you would get in game rewards if you would upload a thirty second video to the to the game.
Speaker 3: And that was where that data came from.
Speaker 2: So it was consciously contributed by the by the players rather than sort of background collected.
Speaker 1: And and what was what was the point of that From the point of view of the company, so that we wanted to create more ar gaming experiences.
Speaker 2: And the Pokemon Go already used augmented reality to create those photos that you were talking about. Put a Pokemon sitting on a chair and take a picture of it, or so it was already using augmented reality. What we wanted to do is to be able to augment the poke stops in the outdoors, and so to do that accurately, you actually need to have a very accurate map of those pokey stops, not just where they are with a blue dot, but actually the three D model of the benches around it and the statue itself, and so creating that three D model and then being able to point your phone at it and say, I know exactly where you're standing relative to that statue. Now the Pokemon that was placed by the last person is exactly the same place that it is for you.
Speaker 1: So you need a really sophisticated model of the physical world for that to work, otherwise it'll be like floating in space a foot from where it's supposed to be.
Speaker 2: That it is exactly the problem we spent several years solving, and we only launched the product that used it. I think in twenty twenty three, and that was part of Pokemon Go and it's called Pokemon Go playgrounds, and it's the ability for players to leave Pokemon at locations in interesting formations and interesting combinations and then have other players discover them or add to them.
Speaker 1: And at what point did somebody think, oh, we can do something wholly other than gaming here, we can build a new kind of map that is, you know, more legible to a robot.
Speaker 2: I think that in some people's minds, you know, that was the thought from day one. I think John would argue in his mind he was he was really thinking in that direction. But I think, you know, from a product perspective, in a business perspective, being able to allow developers of applications to go scan their own places, not Poke stops, but any location around the world and then create these experiences. That was our first step. I think the robotics ass inspect came into play, you know, more recently, probably in the last eighteen to twenty four months, as we realize that, you know, robots struggle with finding themselves in the real world, and so they need a form of maps, don't we all.
Speaker 1: And we'll be back in just a minute. So let's talk about where you are now, like what's in the world now that you're making.
Speaker 2: I think the uh, you know, the experience of working with the data from the phones of the players taught us a lot about how to reconstruct and create these precise maps, not with super fancy survey tools but with just consumer devices.
Speaker 3: And what we got good at was using.
Speaker 2: Low quality data, which I mean, it's still very good, but it's you know, it's not professional great anything, and being able to turn that into professional grade data. And so I think that was the skill that we're bringing into the enterprise applications that you hear now.
Speaker 3: And we can do it not just at the scale of a.
Speaker 2: Statue or a single location, but we can do it at city scale. We can collect an entire city and help you find yourself.
Speaker 1: Have you collected an entire city?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: What city?
Speaker 2: We have all of San Francisco and pieces of other cities, and they're usually collected from drone data. Basically commissioning and saying we wanted a drone based camera, you know, follow a path, take a picture every several meters and take it from multiple angles, and then use photogrammetry to reconstruct that city at a level of detail, you know, beyond what Google can do it.
Speaker 1: And when you say drone, you mean like a flying drone, like a little quad copter what exactly.
Speaker 2: A very lightweight, you know, very limited under two hundred and fifty grams smallest ones.
Speaker 1: And so what are you doing now with your three D robot legible map of San Francisco.
Speaker 2: We are combining all of that interesting data collected on the ground with phones and with three sixty cameras with this drone data and also with satellite data and proving out that we can help robots and humans find themselves, localize themselves, you know, anywhere in the city without having to pre map it, you know, specifically at that location.
Speaker 1: So you mean like you a robot, It's just like you blindfold the robot for lack of a better word, and then take the blindfold off, and it knows right away where it is and which way it's looking.
Speaker 3: That's absolutely the goal.
Speaker 1: Yes, what do you have to do to get there?
Speaker 2: I think the challenge is that you know, the world is a complicated and varied place, and you know, trees. Trees are my nemesis in my career, and you know they are they are absence.
Speaker 1: I'm proachry. For the record, I'm approached.
Speaker 2: I understand they are visually amazing, but they are in fact fractally based. Right they have very high detail, and worse than that, they're leaves. They flutter in the wind. It's deeply inconvenient, and so when you take multiple pictures of a tree, no two pictures have the tree in the same spot.
Speaker 1: When they change rapidly with tom.
Speaker 2: Absolutely so another problem. The old way of doing this was that, you know, satellites and airplanes would take pictures of cities in the winter because the leaves were off, and that gave them more information. But if you're trying to build a model the city and localize, you actually need to see them in all their states, not just the leaf off state.
Speaker 1: So is the short answer to how you solve that problem? AI?
Speaker 2: How do you solve the tree problem? You try to look beyond the trees. You know, trees other than the tree trunk. There's not a lot of stability there, but there are many things behind the tree or next to the tree that are useful and being able to effectively in an AI. To ignore the tree is usually your best bet because there's enough remaining features in view that you can find enough to connect yourself to that location.
Speaker 1: I know you just made a deal with a delivery robot company. Like, is that the first use case? Like, what do you think the first use cases are going to be?
Speaker 2: I mean, definitely is the first use case they struggle with, effectively the blindfold problem that sometimes they don't don't have enough context to know where they are, and they need to rediscover their location, and they need to need do so accurately enough that either the autonomous controller or some human who drops in to look at where it is can know where they are in the city because city blocks tend to look the same.
Speaker 3: Unless you have that information.
Speaker 1: How does the robot get lost in the first place? Like, how does the robot find itself in that situation?
Speaker 3: There's two ways.
Speaker 2: One is I mean they do it they hit a reboot, and they literally lose connection if they are cover if for any reason enough of the world is blocked from them for long enough, they lose lose control. GPS by itself is rarely good enough because, especially in cities, the GPS has you know, reflections off of buildings, and you can be a city block away and the GPS will happily tell you bigger there so.
Speaker 1: Hu So it's insufficiently precise, particularly in cities.
Speaker 2: Yes, and big cities with big, tall buildings are absolutely the hardest challenge other than tunnels and parking critches.
Speaker 1: But that's good for you. Like that that weakness is your opportunity exactly. What tell me about the broader industry is the right word, but the broader context, you know, who else is working on things like you're working on.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think we've had, you know, companies that have worked on building digital twins of the world. They're in the micro or the macro for you know, since before Google, and Google certainly is the biggest wholesale attempt at this, but there's a need for more resolution and also to have it from suppliers other than Google, because one of the areas that I think is hard is that Google is all about recreating the public world, but they don't really have any way for a company to do their own location and add it to the real world.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting, the hospital did I read hospital as an example. We were talking about that when we're doing the prep of like how hard it is to find your way around a hospital?
Speaker 3: It is, and I just experienced that yesterday at Stanford. I think the.
Speaker 2: Challenges building a map and with the hospital, there's actually a lot of change that happens, you know, in the corridors of a hospital at any given time. The big quarriors are stable, but most of the actual patient areas are you know, constantly changeing their visual appearance, and so getting robots that are able to navigate that space accurately and reliably is certainly one of our potential use cases.
Speaker 1: So there's an app called scan a Verse that's you right, the app scan a Verse. So I downloaded that this week and astonishingly, they're estonishingly to me. Within one hundred yards of my house, there are two things, two objects that have been scanned in three D and uploaded to this app, which is interesting cool. I had no idea what's going on there? What is it? And why are people on my block taking pictures of things.
Speaker 2: Scan Versus is a great app, and we actually acquired the one person.
Speaker 3: Who wrote it, a brilliant programmer.
Speaker 2: And turned it into this product that allows capture of three D objects. And what you're seeing there is that a lot of users love to be able to go out and scan their area their location or a statue or whatever, and recreated in three D visually almost completely photo realistically, and then share that with the rest of the world. And so you're experiencing sort of the map that scanners puts up at the front of the front of them.
Speaker 1: So it's in the same way that people like to do whatever geokashig and geo guessing and whatever. It's some version of kind of sharing the real world in a digital way.
Speaker 3: Exactly is it big?
Speaker 1: I infer from the fact that they're too on my block or one on my block and one around the corner that lots of people are using it? Is that true? Do I live in a weirdly dense area?
Speaker 2: There are a lot of people using We have hundreds of thousands of users and they are passionate about this ability, and we have used we've recently, very recently added the enterprise capabilities to that app. People want to create a digital twin of a tiny little place, they can do it on their phone and upload it like you saw. If they want to recreate their factor or their business, you know, hundreds of square meters, they can do that with our enterprise version and then allow for modeling and allow for robotic training within their site using that tool.
Speaker 1: So you can use your phone and walk around your factory, say you're a little, you know, small factory or your construction site or whatever, and the three D rendering it generates is like robot legible. Then you can train your robot on the thing you made with your iPhone.
Speaker 3: That's correct.
Speaker 1: So there's this phrase you hear an AI world model, right, And it's sort of kind of a complement to a language model.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Instead of AI that's trained on language, it's AI in some way that's trained on the physical world. Like, tell me about that and how your work fits in with that.
Speaker 2: So the world models have been mostly focused to date on solving a sort of very specific problem, which is how to translate video, which they're mostly programmed with, into understanding of the world that's good enough that it can predict the future.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and when you say predict the future, you don't mean any like weird oracle thing, right, you mean like predict the future as well as a human can that. Like, if a fork starts to fall off the table, it's going to fall all the way to.
Speaker 3: The grounds, that's exactly right.
Speaker 2: So if something is initiated, how would it play out with the objects. And if you've seen enough forks fall and videos, if you've seen enough objects fall, then you can start to predict it.
Speaker 1: And we were so used to now AI being so good at language, it's easy to forget that it has no understanding of the physical world. I mean except in language.
Speaker 3: That's right, so weird. Yeah, it can, it can think in its brain.
Speaker 2: I know what the rules of Newton's law are, but you know, turning that into pixels on the screen is actually pretty hard. But if you train enough video models on it, then then it can figure it out. And so the I think the connecting the language model to the physical world is in some ways. There's two ways to do it, and one is to have the model understand the physics video. The other is to turn the world itself into words or into meaning. And this is you know, typically called semantics. And there's all sorts of you know, technologies that try to label information about a picture. And if you train enough of models on the labeling of the pictures, you can then label any but any picture of the real world.
Speaker 1: And this is kind of the first big breakthrough of neural networks, right, I mean, it sounds like.
Speaker 3: That cats, cats and dogs, cats and dogs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and image net right.
Speaker 2: So if you give the information about the embeddings, it's it's called and you do that not just in cat and dog dimension, but you do it in hundreds of dimensions of objects. You can give these language models a the equivalent of a language understanding of the real world, and then they can do amazing things with it.
Speaker 1: Huh. And so how does all that relate to the work you're doing.
Speaker 2: We believe that to do that successfully you need to start with three D data because the ability to label something in three dimensions is much more accurate and with and argue with much more information than if all you have is a two D picture of it. Because in two D pictures there's always, uh, you know, obscuration of data, and things are behind things and you can't see the whole picture. But in three D you eventually see everything that is seeable.
Speaker 1: I mean is that the fun not to be reductive, but kind of to be reductive, is that the fundamental thing you were doing that is novel is making a three dimensional map and world where maps have always been two dimensions.
Speaker 2: Before I would say yes, I'm there, there are there are three D visual maps. There are you know, rare one off three maps, but trying to do a fully language embedded three D semantic map of the world so that a language, models and robots and others can understand it is what we're working on.
Speaker 1: So for zoom out like, well, two things, I guess there's two things we'll do, the sad one and the happy one. Like what might go wrong for you? Like what has to go Yeah, what might go wrong for you over the next years. It seems like you're at this moment when you have this interesting technology, you're sort of proving it out. It's not widely used yet. What are the sort of pitfalls?
Speaker 2: I mean, it was hard hard mapping the world in two D for humans. Mapping the world in three D four robots requires a level of detail and precision that nobody's ever done before. And the only way to get it done is to apply AI to the problem, to figure out how to make it more accurate, more quickly and more cheaply than has been done in the past, because, you know, carefully reconstructing the world, every square meter of it. The old way is you know, billions, if not trillion dollars, and this can't be that nobody's going to pay that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, billions maybe, but trillions definitely not. And so if you if you get it right, like give me the like the big exciting outcome, you know what I mean, like if it goes, well, what's the world look like? How is the world better?
Speaker 2: I think that if you know, as we're seeing, the ais have been able to dig into human knowledge and you know ingest all of the text of all of our scientific papers and all of our blog posts and all of the Instagram and they've synthesized this in many cases into some very interesting information that answers at least you know, personally relevant questions today. And if you talk to some mathematicians, you know they're they're they're doing pretty well in math as well. But the questions about the real world are are are simply not there yet. And but the the advantage of an AI is it doesn't stop and it doesn't stumble on too much data, and if you can give it enough information about the world, it can start to answer like really interesting questions about the city, about how the city works, about which intersections are you know too busy, and about you know, you know, flow of people and you know I think things that things that could make the city more efficient because you have a more complete vision of it, you know, especially in you know, three dimensions. You know, the two D maps for a street are fine, but the moment you go down to the subways in New York, some of those are you know, three four levels deep, and some of them are extremely popular in others are ghost towns. And and you know, I think there's opportunities to improve the infrastructure that we already have built without having to like rebuild it from scrap.
Speaker 1: We'll be back in a minute with the lightning round. We're gonna finish with the lightning round. Tell me about the Meadowbrook apartments in Lawrence, Kansas.
Speaker 2: I grew up in Meadowbrook. It was a fine apartment complex. I moved there when I was four and moved out when I was eighteen. And so the center of Google Earth on the windows PC in particular, will zoom you into the bedroom of the apartment of my apartment building.
Speaker 1: Still still yeah, that's a robust easter egg.
Speaker 2: And there's another one in that category, which is that I a friend of mine who I went to the University of Kansas with, I hired him in two thousand and five to port Google Earth to the Macintosh, and he secretly changed the center of Google Earth on the mac to be Shanook, Kansas, where he's from. But he did it to the mains main intersection there in Chanut and the city is she who loved it so much. They actually built a mural on the street at that location. So if you ever run a mac give it a try and you'll see what it says.
Speaker 1: What's one tip for becoming a pac Man champion?
Speaker 3: The old old machines have patterns.
Speaker 2: And when I was, you know, the very first pac Man machine, if you knew the five key pattern and above, you know I was able to break a million. They're really professional people. I think the high score of the Infinite Perfect Score is three point three million, but I was able to get a million. But these days, you know, I still play Miss pac Man at home. I have a home machine, and you know, it's really about reaction, and you know it's if you play it on fast mode, it's all about speed.
Speaker 1: Do I recall that Miss pac Man was more deterministic than pac Man? Is that right?
Speaker 3: It's it's the other way around.
Speaker 2: When they launched Miss pac Man, they surprised people because they had extra logic and they actually randomized it, so literally no pattern really works even from the.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so it's a it's a kind of more elegant game maybe at some level, or you could play it for longer. Anyways, how are your skills?
Speaker 2: My my I score is turned seventy nine thousand, My friend's high score is turned in seventy five thousand and and and that's where we're at.
Speaker 1: Are you currently training to win any other video game championships? No?
Speaker 3: I I my my only my only games.
Speaker 2: I've played a lot of video games in the early eighties and some Missile Command, miss pac Man, pac Man, and Galaga.
Speaker 3: I think we're one of my main games.
Speaker 1: I liked the Big Ball on Missile Command, the Arcade Missile Command, remember had that giant ball.
Speaker 3: Almost a bowling ball, and it had had momentum.
Speaker 1: But the the only games I.
Speaker 2: Really play now are are the New York Times word games, and I still play pokem let Go.
Speaker 1: Do you have any like favorite maps from history or whatever their maps you love, or like genius cartographers.
Speaker 3: There's there's one map.
Speaker 2: There's more of a sort of a data science presentation. There was a tough tie was a guy who wrote some really great books about data visualization, and he highlighted this map which has always stuck with me.
Speaker 3: And it was a single.
Speaker 2: Sheet map that showed Napoleon's you know, march to Russia, including the size of the army as it progressed, and then it decimated itself in Russia and then shrunk and shrunk and shrunk as it returned because they were, you know, going through winter with no food and just the visual The amount of information in that map, beyond the map itself is incredible.
Speaker 1: Anything you think shouldn't be mapped.
Speaker 3: The inside of people's homes, you know, you have to have a private space.
Speaker 1: What was the last time you got lost?
Speaker 3: It's a good question.
Speaker 2: Never for very long, you know, I don't remember that. Blue dot's pretty powerful. Tell me about catalog in your life. So I started doing it in nineteen ninety three. I started recording books, I read, movies I watched, and you know, various other events in my life. And I actually backpropagated and re remembered movies I'd seen before nineteen ninety three. So I have a list of every book, every movie, as well as many other life events all in a spreadsheet, and it's you know, as I grow older, it is you know, it becomes my memory because it's not super detailed, but you know, in many cases just the event itself existing reminds me of what I was doing that year, that month, that day.
Speaker 1: What like do you look back on it, like in the way people might look at old photos or something like, how do you how do you kind of use it or engage with it?
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: I looked back at like what movies was I watching in the last semester before I graduated high school? You know, how did I spend my time that year? And was what was available? And what's going on?
Speaker 1: And you know you have qualitative notes? Do you have ranking like are there interesting columns in those?
Speaker 2: I've gone back through and I have my top forty for let's see, what do I have my top forty for books? And I have my top two hundred for movies, and I have them somewhat ranked within.
Speaker 1: That top movie, top book.
Speaker 2: Let's see. I'll still say Contact for reasons. On the movie, I just find it very compelling, And on the book, I love Scholzie and Hugh Howie, So I almost want to say Silo but I'll still say three body problem.
Speaker 1: So so both both science fiction.
Speaker 2: I am unapassionately almost entirely science fiction.
Speaker 1: It's really I guess it shouldn't be surprising, but it's particularly it's persistently notable to me how influential science fiction is in the world. Like you know, the world we live in, people built it in some significant degree because they were inspired by science fiction in really specific ways.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Carl Sagan wrote Contact, and you know it was hugely influential that way. But Neil Stephenson wrote snow Crash and described a version of Google Earth before we built it, and both John and I had read that book and feel at least partially inspired by that. There were other things that inspired us too, but that very specific description of a visualizable, holographic three D model of the planet that you could zoom into is very powerful.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for your time, was very interesting to talk with you.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Brian McLendon is the chief technology officer at Niantic Spatial. Our show Today was produced by Gabriel Hunter Chang. It was edited by Lydia Jean Kott and engineered by Hansdale. She I'm Jacob Goldstein and We'll be back in a couple weeks with more episodes of What's Your Problem. Thanks for listening.