Speaker 1: Hello Internet, and welcome to this afternoon edition of Trendrick Lamar's Euphoria. Because it's a trending episode. And you know what, Kendrick Lamar drop the track at eight twenty four am. If you didn't pick up on all the details there right after the People's Goat Lebron James was eliminated from Championship contention, There's a lot in there and we are going to get into that because I do think that it's relevant and it is absolutely trending all over Twitter. And who better to do that with than are very very most favorite MC from the Zeitgeist universe, from the podcasting universe. Not just an EMC, just a poet, a father, a scholar, purveyor of fantastic coffee, mister Prop himself, Jason, Do I call you Jason better? Can I just call you? Look?
Speaker 2: The government's fine. You know what I'm saying. You can? You can definitely do that.
Speaker 3: You have crossed that threshold into being able to say.
Speaker 1: Well, look, I'm gonna call you Prop anyway. Please welcome Prop Prop. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: How's everybody feeling?
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying? Man, score Earth right now, you've scorged Earth. Absolutely, we are going to get to that, you know, because we have been texting each other NonStop since the track came out, being I know, what did he think he could accepted? This guy? What the ones? So exactly, We're gonna have a bit of a moment to do that. But first we are going to get to some trending stories, because there is some pressing news happening in our world outside of just you know, the fun rap beefs that we have out here. The first one is UCLA, my alma mater. It is trending because I, like I referenced in other episodes, I was proud to see that the students at UCLA have also created an encampment in solidarity with the people of Palestine and also urging the regents of the UC system to divest from Israel if possible, and you know, on also advocating for things like a ceasefire, but mostly it's about trying to cut financial ties with an apartheid state. And it's been a peaceful protest, uh And things were peaceful until last night when a group of pro Israel pro Zionists demonstrators, I guess counter protesters, I don't even know if they're counter protesters. These people pulled up and just started attacking students, breaking down the barricades, hitting them with bear mace, throwing bricks into the encampment, like lobbing bricks over, like the offences into the encampment, throwing fireworks. People are getting hit over the head with two by fours, like full on violent assaults recurring to peaceful student protesters. As the LAPD and UCLA Campus Safety they did fucking nothing, they Yeah, honestly, I think as many people were used this were basically describing it as, you know, just just letting the goons do the violence that maybe they would do. And they said, you know what, we're gonna sit this one out. You guys, go ahead and brutalize these peaceful protesters and guess what, we'll just look the other way or laugh, which we.
Speaker 2: Saw awesome, Like y'all shouldn't been out here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we had, I tell you, yeah exactly. It's a really really hard to watch man like that. Quad I had very fond memories of being on the campus there and to see it turned into this like war zone and is being reported on as like this sort of like both sides the thing like on ABC News, like because of the violence, classes have been canceled, and it's like you aren't. No one is actually being sincere in describing what's happening. That's like the most frustrating thing with how the news has been covering all of this, whether it's trying to just focus on and I'm not denying I'm not saying there are no anti Semitic people that are trying to co opt these There absolutely are. But when you are focusing and dissengent, like for example in Colombia, where there are people doing shit outside of the campus and saying that that's part of the Columbia protest, that's not accurate, and you're painting it with a different brush and giving people a different idea of what's actually happening. We're talking about peaceful protesters who are here, who do not who are just as in senses most people are, by seeing the violence unfold there and saying in the way that they feel they can exert their power and influence, they're saying, I'm trying to put an end to it, and they're being attacked by just what fucking goons like I don't know, somewhere there's just.
Speaker 2: So much, like so many thoughts about that.
Speaker 3: It's like you're just from just knowing, not even deep history, but just like recent history. It was almost like we knew this day was coming that, you know, we're told from elementary school that like, what makes our country different is you have free speech, and if you don't like what's going on, you can vote, you can protest, you can make your voice known. You know, you vote with your wallet, you vote with your you know, you vote with your feet. And then you go to college and you're like, oh, word, okay, well yeah, here's our request a little bit and I'm gonna spread my wings and you're met with violence and it's like, well, I mean, y'all were the ones that said And then the part that even blows my mind to I'm like, I'm looking at the faculty and staff, not necessarily the faculty, but I'm looking at the adults in the room, and I'm like, ain't you the kids like Vietnam War protesters and we're theay college kids, Like don't you what's wrong with y'all's memory?
Speaker 1: Like from what I remember, they weren't on the wrong side of history protesting.
Speaker 2: It seems like they were correct.
Speaker 1: Huh, so that's what we're gonna do. Yeah, it's it's disheartening, and like I said, you know, like I think it's it's really troubling for people who are part of any marginalized or press community because you know, this country, America is a white supremacist capitalist patriarchy or an imperialist capitalist patriarchy, however you want to do that. But you go, you begin to push against any of those tenants, you will be met with state violence. It just doesn't matter if you were there to support those tenants, you will be supported by the state. And it's like it's just very easy, you know, Yeah, if you're running a drift of what the true values are of the United States, if the police are fucking you up or protecting you based on exercising that right exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just taking a second to reflect to yourself to like, okay, who's on my side of the fence, and and like when at some point you should look at the look down your bench on your side and be like, oh wait, am I on the wrong team here? Like what's twelve? Why is my jersey? Why are you wearing the same jersey as me? You know, like a thin blue line on my jersey.
Speaker 1: Where that come from?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, like that should be your warning sign and be like wait, hold up, wait are we wait, are we actually saying the same thing. Yeah, I don't think we're saying the same thing. Wait, you know you should. It should make give you pause.
Speaker 1: You know, I just hope that I mean shut out. At LA Times at least had an accurate description in their headlines where they were did rightly describing that the violence was one sided and coming from the supporters of Israeli government. Uh, and like again we're talking full on. They're like hitting kids over the head and shit, it's wild. This is where we're at. And I really encourage everybody to like, just like in twenty twenty when people wanted to say fucking weird shit to try and obscure and distract from what people are actually trying to say. Also, we like, every time this happens, we have to be able to articulate what is actually going on and not letting these people completely change the narrative and try and you know, completely discredit what is being.
Speaker 3: Done at UCLA and at USC. These are like every organizer that I know and have seen have been like yeah, no, come, come, have lunch, come through, and it's like because it's a camp and I know at USC they was doing like anti Semitic classes, like inside of the thing they was teaching like the history of anti Semitism and how.
Speaker 1: We want to make sure that this is not what we're saying.
Speaker 3: They have to really put people yeah, like you know they like these and yeah, these protesters were like, look, this is not what we're saying.
Speaker 2: This is why we're saying, here's the history of this.
Speaker 3: You know, they have to understand, like you know what I'm saying, Like yeah, yeah, like.
Speaker 1: Many college campuses, because I think that's the other thing too. We talked about this on yesterday's Trending episode is No One is also acknowledging the fact that there are also many Jewish students they also participating in this many Jewish people. Jewish students are disturbed because they see the aggression of the IDF and Netanyahu as being like that makes me unsafe in the long run. If this is this is the representation of a Jewish state is and people are going to conflate the two and I don't that's not what we're about. That's not what this religion is about, but it's being you. And also by weaponizing anti Semitism, that's the whole thing where they'd be like, oh, so you're against the whole Jewish religion. It's like you're not.
Speaker 2: Here, yeah, And now I can't Now I can't point at it.
Speaker 3: It's like when everything was when everything was human trafficking, right, like when everything was that, It's like, now I can't point out or everything's groomy.
Speaker 1: Like everything's grooming, then nothing's grooming. Then nothing's groomy.
Speaker 3: Now I can't actually point at anti Semitism and be like, yeah, no, that actually is, you know, which.
Speaker 1: Is why I do because then I remember how the evolution of these sort of protests went too because then even when you had Jewish voices for peace, they're like, no, we're if you can call me anti semitic, I'm telling you I'm against what's happening. And then they go, well you're not Jewish or whatever, and then it's always a moving goalpost. And again it's just what if you're in service of oppression, then the police are there for you. If you're trying to fight for equity, then the police will always be against you. So a good, good formula to just check around. Yeah, next story is RFK Junior. He's trending now. This is this was sort of like presented in like ooh, the Trump camp is sweating because RFK. But a lot of polls show that Trump is comfortably not comfortably. It's like six points ahead of Biden right now. I wonder why I can't have anything to do with these students are screaming about on campuses across the country. But I guess recently he's starting to pop up. RFK Junior is starting to pop up more and more on these right wing outlets, Like he's becoming a main stay on Fox News, a mainstay on News Max. He's now starting to be like on Ben Shapiro's podcast talking to Glenn Beck, he's talking to Megan Kelly, you know, the just everyday pieces of shit. And while you.
Speaker 4: Know, also while he's out there being like, you know, fucking Biden, talking shit about Biden, you know, he's he's definitely he's going after a very specific audience here, Like especially when you go on these bro podcasts too, Yep, you're kind of being like, look, you know, I'm not woke, so why don't you vote for me. And that's where I guess the Trump co Campaign manager has come in to say, quote, it's concerning and beyond logic that there are some conservative platforms that continue to give a voice to someone that is called the NRA, a terrorist group who believes in eliminating gas powered engines, believes in a seventy percent tax bracket, and generally subscribes to the same school of thought as Carl Marx.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, in both marks, baby, yeah, yeah, just oh what exactly what.
Speaker 2: Point at it?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry? Are you? Can you please? Are you a scholar of Marxist thoughts or no? Yeah? I just know if I say the word, people are like, fuck that, And that's just how it goes.
Speaker 2: He's he's interesting to me, dude.
Speaker 3: He's like, have you guys, okay, you guys, have you watched I just finished it, the uh the Three Body Problem on.
Speaker 1: I started watching the first episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, recently.
Speaker 3: I don't want to ruin it, sure, but I'm about to kind of Okay.
Speaker 1: So all right, spoiler alert, just spoileroiler alert.
Speaker 2: Skip through this.
Speaker 1: If you're sensitive to three Body Problem, you don't hear nothing about it? Skip ahead one minute.
Speaker 3: Yes, I won't tell you how the movie ends. But ultimately, if you have the gravitational pulls of three bodies, whether it's just two stars and a planet or three stars and whatever they're gravitational pull and rotations are are, you can't predict them. They're impossible to predict. That's called the three body problem. So if you're on a planet that has is too close to three different sons, you're gonna get pulled into the gravitational pulls in different ways, so you can't you can't predict whether your planet's going to be you know what I'm saying. So that's that's a three body problem. Yes, it's impredictable. You just you just go wherever the gravity pulls you.
Speaker 2: And to me, you get there problem here, three body problem.
Speaker 3: I'm like, this is so, yes, the third body is just throwing off the gravitational pull So like to try to everybody for everybody, so to even try to even predict what he's trying to do or who he's trying to talk to. He's like, you can't this just this guy is going to siphon off wherever he can. And in some sense its brilliant, you know what I'm saying, like I go wherever I don't because demand don't care, Like are like wherever y'all?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I go wherever y'all listen to.
Speaker 1: He's he's like such a weird ass broken clock because he says like he says ship that. I'm like, no, that's true, Like you know, regulatory capture is a fucking issue, like these climate things are an issue. And then he's like but then you know, COVID was meant Chinese people were IMMU like shut this, Oh my god. Yeah, it's like out here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you was going good for a second. Ere yeah, and.
Speaker 1: Let's not yeah, let's not forget. He was like the poster child for the whole anti vax movement, like when it cames, you know what I mean? So whatever RFK, We'll see where you end up. But honestly, like I know a lot of people will try and blame you if Biden loses, But I honestly just with the way this man is it right now, it's he's making it very difficult for people to be like, like are you hearing what people are saying? Like what if a responsive president? You're not a responsive president right now? And I don't wantucking Donald Trump to lose or to win. No Freudian slip. Well no, like I don't want Trump to win. But it's like but if and because of that, I'm like, motherfucker, you need to figure out how to get served vote for you.
Speaker 3: Yes, help me, help you, like I just god damn it, man, like I just you can't be like you're so frustrated to where you're like, I mean, it's like, Doug is the sky blue?
Speaker 1: Like what is the lowest hanging fruit?
Speaker 3: The lowest like this is and I'm like the lowest bro. Just even if we talked about this on hother politics, even if you just okay, the kids ain't gonna let you get away with this. But even if you just say the two words cease fire, like if you just say that's the lowest hanging fruit. Right, But you're like, oh, I'm mad about this.
Speaker 1: I don't want you.
Speaker 3: And you know we you know we really mad. And you know I'm telling that, y'all. Who I old BB, I'm not handed, I'm not I'm not going for it. Now, come on over here to the to the candy store, pick whatever gun you won't and I'm getting you'll be careful because I'm mad, right, bro exactly and then take away his dessert.
Speaker 2: Man, like you're not really mad.
Speaker 1: No, no, it's all it's all just optics. But the thing is, like people are too tapped in now for that kind of shit to work, Like the smoking mirrors, it's not having the same effect. And also to the point now where other congressmen are like, man, I got like old little old white ladies also asking me what the fuck is up with the ceasefire. So it's not just it's not just like Arab Americans or Muslims. It's it's like a bro, it's many people. The majority of Democrats are.
Speaker 3: Like yes, or like yeah, I was with you for a little bit, you know what I'm saying, Like yeah, it's like I was with you for a second there. But I mean I'm all brou y'all. You ain't seeing what I'm saying, Like you ain't have to you ain't had.
Speaker 1: To kill them all, Like nope, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's we'll see. Like I said every time, I'm like November, take your time, take your time, Please take your time. I don't have I don't have the strength right now.
Speaker 2: Bro, Like that's I'm sorry, I know. We gotta move on.
Speaker 3: But I'm like, again, low hanging fruit, like you can't. I mean, you just you really finna just let this abortion thing slip through your fingers, bro, Like yeah, that's an easy one.
Speaker 1: Well like, yeah, well they were fucking around too long by being like if I'm president, I will do this ship cut to your president, and you did not fucking fire roll versus what like you didn't even you couldn't even do that. So yeah, because again both parties, they they're just playing in everybody's faces. They just wanted they want to angle shit in front of people to get them to the polls and then just take it out and then but then something then you get some ship like the Dobbs decision, and shit gets real and now all of a sudden, like well it's really complicated, but there, I mean, there's lives at stake here for.
Speaker 3: Sure, man, Like that's really like you know, go to state blowing a three to one lead right there?
Speaker 1: Bro, Like, how you how you lo how you lose?
Speaker 3: Dobs guys like this, Yeah, sixty years, don't you lost the sixty?
Speaker 2: Like how you love did.
Speaker 1: A lot of time? Because again, it's easier to just h raise the specter of the boogeyman than to actually take care of shit because that we're not. Yeah, we're not the we're not in the business of actually solving problems here. All right, let's take a quick break so we can regroup, re outher ourselves, center ourselves, so we can come back and discuss objectively with no West Coast biases, even though I have my Dodger blue on my four dome. Right now is Kendrick Lamar and Drake Beef and we'll be right back. And we're back. So look, I told you so, but didn't I? Yes, is your.
Speaker 2: Audience like up to speed? Do they know the whole cheese made?
Speaker 1: I guess here? Well, we'll keep it here. Yeah, for those it okay. So if you are not interested in hip hop, I get it. People have different flavors for you. Let me put you onto something. Right now, we're talking about the Drake and Kendrick Lamar Beef. Drake is now like one of the I think the highest selling artists of all time because he took over Michael Jackson's thing and now he's like, I'm the king uh and said he's the greatest ever. He's the goat. Kendrick Lamar has taken exception to that. This is a very condensed version because there's also there's like sneak dissing going on for years. But anyway, for like Kendrick decade, Dave Kendrick has also been like, you know, he released a track with Metro Boomin in Future about a month ago, you know, basically just taking just taking some general shots his way, him and J Cole's way. J Cole entered the beef and then he immediately said back, no and yo do yeah man, yeah, no, yeah, I mean like I don't I don't want this. I don't want this. I don't want this. I don't want it. And you know what, I shouldn't. I shouldn't have even recorded a distrack. He released a distrack to respond to Kendrick, and then he pulled it because he said it didn't feel right to him. He didn't believe in it. As an artist. Then that's your progative as an artist. Fine, other people.
Speaker 3: He probably could have taken his time, but yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get it. If you weren't feeling it, you weren't feeling it.
Speaker 2: And it was like Kendrick's line.
Speaker 3: It for y'all that are interested Kendrick's line referencing Cole was in reference to a song that Cole did with Drake years ago, but are in that song was kind of like a throwaway, like that's just one thing towards yeah, Cole. So Cole could honestly be like, well, the verse ain't about me, it's it's about you. Yeah, yeah, I really don't have to because he's not even disn't me yeaheah.
Speaker 1: But a lot of people were like, you know, in their bag on his back, you do it anyway. So then Drake basically released two response tracks, one using the Ai vocals of Tupac Shakor, which did not go over well with anybody in this part of the country or even his estate, who were like, the season desist for that's foolish, foolishness. And then Kendrick, they're like, all the Drake fans are saying, when's Kendrick gonna drop? It's been so long. TikTok, TikTok. Kendrick drop a track called Euphoria six and a half minutes and it is scathing, I would say, fishes.
Speaker 3: And also yeah, also loving and like teaching, like teachable, like this is a teachable moment just in the only way that Kendrick can.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Because there's a tweet from a rainio Ville for those of y'all who listen to Victory like Merrow's podcast, He's on that show. He tweeted basically to sum up, like, where what the Drake this was versus the Kendrick response. He said, Drake Colon, you wear small shoes, top makes you do push ups. That's the person from top Dog, the label that Kendrick was on, and I make more money than you. Sort of like the distillation of Drake's dis Yes, Kendricks would be the distillation to be this. You have never been secure in your identity. A Canadian cosplayer could never represent Black American culture. I'm raising my kids and you can't relate. Yeah, different levels to their responses. I don't know. I mean like, I don't know what part you want to talk about specifically, Like for me, I just I get that there's right now it seems like most people are so entrenched in their fandom, Like you have people who can't see past their fandom. Then there are people who I'm like, I just love to see this era of like rapp up, Like you say something then you say something that you say something, you say something because yeah, whether or not Drake takes an now, it doesn't change the fact that he is the this man's soul.
Speaker 3: There's no yeah, yeah, there's yeah. Producer Brian's dropping dropping stuff in here that I was going to say, like I think there's there are some things to calibrate here. First of all, to understand that, like, Okay, the number one song on Billboard is Taylor Swift. She's also the number two, three, four, she's she's the top ten. The top ten songs on Billboard are Taylor Swift. So calibrate the conversation with that for us, right, you know. And then secondly, like you said, like overall, it's two grown men, millionaires writing poems about each other for.
Speaker 2: La guys, you're alive.
Speaker 1: It's a wonderful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so even for us as fans to remember that, like oh yeah, go cry on a bag of money, like it's fine, you know, but yeah, but they I think, yeah, But I was going to say, like there's a history in hip hop, whether it was you know, ice Cube and Easy E, whether it's right jay Z and Nas, whether it's POC and Biggie like there's a history of.
Speaker 1: Rule where.
Speaker 3: Yeah and dis tracks have always been good for the overall culture of hip hop because it brings out the best in all of these artists. But I think specifically with this one, why I think this is so important is because they represent Kendrick and Drake have always represent two opposite approaches.
Speaker 1: To being tip hop stars. Yeah yeah, right, And because.
Speaker 3: Kendrick Kendrick gan on Instagram like he don't post memes, like he don't, he don't pop out, like he don't do that, you know.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying, and don't walk through none of that.
Speaker 3: I don't do none of that, like I will give you the bars and I'm going home. And then Drake is obviously like he's a pop star, yeah.
Speaker 1: And he's a child actor, so he's used to being in the spotlight in a different way, and you know, people take that for what it is and people say, well, this is what Drake's more poping or whatever. Personally, it's like I don't think you can really, I can't. I don't compare them because are not the same. They're not making the same kind of art, you know. I get like, yeah, there's some like Drake bangers, you're like, oh, yeah, this is shit's fun. It's a fun track, But is it like, is it like Kendrick Lamar, like a pe Kendrick Lamar kind of track? Is has you engaging with in a different way? And again, this is a matter of taste. I'm not saying objectively or whatever, but this is how I relate to the music. And the beef is interesting too because Kendrick is getting out a lot of other critiques that people have about Drake, namely one about sort of always like suddenly you're you're like a roadman from the UK and you wrap like this or you're doing this other kind of flavor and you're kind of constantly sort of shape shifting and using. Yeah, people are like, you know, you're kind of appropriating the culture without actually sticking up for black people when things are actually happening, or speaking about the culture in a way that feels constructive rather than just being like, let me sort of curate and cherry pick the things I like to sell records and then that's it.
Speaker 2: There's a sophistication.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a sophistication of this conversation in the sense that like, you know, I was sexing you the the the corny analogy of like, you know, the captain of football team dating the cheerleader, prom king, homecoming queen, homecoming king. But all you want to do is like just kick it behind the bungalows and smoke weed with the cool kids.
Speaker 2: That's all that you want.
Speaker 3: But all the cool kids are like you're lame and it's fine, just go be the prom king, Like stop, that's fine, Like it's fine, just go be that.
Speaker 1: Like you will never be accepted by us.
Speaker 3: And it's not that it's not that we're not trying to excommunicate you, it's just that's.
Speaker 2: Not who you are, you know.
Speaker 3: So so so the conversation that Kendrick kicked it up a notch is the saying the quiet thing out loud, which is like you can't just put this on and take it off, and it's and and yeah that insecurity about like.
Speaker 1: You right, yeah, right, yeah, you want all of this.
Speaker 3: Kendrick is like I'm really from this and it comes from an authenticity and it's like.
Speaker 2: So stop, like just just stop being with you, not like you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: He's growing up in Compton, and living growing up in Compton is a lot different than being a child actor living in Toronto and the levels of racism are different, like they're just they's just cultural differences. Yeah, and that's why anyway, it's interesting again where everyone was like, oh, like, it's not just going to be like sort of like a simple you know, because if you think about the last battle that Drake was in or beef he was in was with a push of tea yeah, and he was responding and push the t just basically came back with like, here's a picture of you in blackface. I don't know what's going on. Yeah, and you're actually a terrible father.
Speaker 4: And it was just sort of like like this person was like oh yeah, but it was.
Speaker 3: Almost like okay, that's okay kind of cheating, but it definitely ended it like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. And I think a lot of people are wondering and people know now like Kendrick Lamar is witty, and they're like all the memes and stuff on the internet, like dag, you don't know if Kendrick Lamar might not be the person to be. He's not. That's not the tree you want to be barking up, no at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I just I appreciate like rappers rapping, and you know, for y'all that know me and Miles like like, we like I like my rappers rapping, if we like throw parties in Long Beach, I want sometimes sometimes it's been that ass. Oh you know what I'm saying. Sometimes you want that because that's good these hands, that's great. But then if it's like when I'm putting in my headphones, if I want to hear somebody like really like love the craft and love the art, I'm like, I'm not.
Speaker 2: I'm not putting a Drake album on.
Speaker 1: You know, like started from the bottom, isn't all right? No, you know what I mean, like exactly the reason why? And I know you're lying because you didn't start from the bottom, you know. But then they're Drake fans who are like his mom had to rent a basement apartment that they lived in, and then that's what he was referring to. And I'm like, and that's fine or whatever, but like when you start talking about gun violence and shit like that, that's life. Alai A learning past guests we love on the show, she was like kind of really stated it very succinctly in saying that, like this this is a tweet from her because a lot of Drake fans are like, you know, just up in arms about people's analysis of what this track was. Quote. The fact that Drake stands are trying to insist hip hop a genre of culture created by black people to give voice to black people and our experiences, shouldn't critique his exploitation of blackness and people confirms why Kendrick said he's speaking for the culture with his critiques of Drake. Non black hip hop fans clearly need to hear this. Black people and black culture will always be central to any analysis of hip hop and rap music. Let go of this colorblind analysis you want us to embrace just so you feel like your opinion is equally valid when talking hip hop. And look, I'm not saying people's analysis is invalid or whatever, but there's a real when people are saying, like, why are you talking about that, it's because that's that's what hip hop was coming out of, you know, black and brown people finding an art form that it's really.
Speaker 3: And and in none of this, you know, Jay Call is just as life skinned and nobody has any question about his position and placement in the culture. And yeah, yeah, it's like no one, no one questions that like, there so there is a particular way a person carries themselves that you know, I think any any person that is remotely somewhat attractive and have been in a club with drunk people, you know, when someone's complimenting you and when someone's being slimy, you get and it might be the same words, right, it might be the same words, Brian, I see Brian, he brought it up the same thing, same way like Marlon Kraft.
Speaker 2: That's that's a white boy.
Speaker 3: I've never questioned his place in culture, you know what I'm saying, like because I'm like, there's there's no question about who you are, because you carry yourself in a way that's different, you know, and it it's like you know what it is when you're looking at it. And Drake has always been something for me that personally, I've always had to bite my tongue about because I'm just like, I feel like this is I don't want a rant here, but this is the last thing I to say about trying to get this thought out. It's like, when you're someone like him who has been considered you know, traditionally attractive, right, successful, You're like you weren't policed like the rest of us ugly boys that were taught when stuff was corny, like we were taught in seventh grade, like, don't do that as corny, right, right, right?
Speaker 1: He didn't learn that because the girl still giggled and he was on TV and no matter what he did.
Speaker 3: So then when you warming up, you know, in the NCAA Finals on the University of the Kentucky team, I'm like, Brett, did you go to Kentucky? Did you ever live in Kentucky? Your family go to Kentucky? Like does anybody what connection do you have to this? That's corny? Don't do that right The idea of thinking I'm gonna do a AI tupac.
Speaker 1: No one, we would all know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you would say, no, I'm not gonna do a AI biggie, No, no, it's untouchable.
Speaker 1: Like you you're again proving you're not really one of us. Man, like you would know that doesn't understand the sacredness of certain things and whatever. And that's where I think again, that's why they're in different lanes. He is a celebrity and he is able to do things like pull up to you know, UK's basketball team, things like that because he's he's a popping you're a star, And it's great, he's a star, but he's a star and you and you're not. You're not You're not a bad rapper. No, but also when you have but these but this, but this is what this beef has also revealed. It's like here, there's really levels of this ship though also break like you you absolutely have the gift of creating like great hooks and albums that can chart. And Kendrick Lamar is like just a grind MC who's in the trenches and is just really takes yeah, take a just taking the taking a series of people like oh what is like a quintopole entendre on these things. It's like, man, he kind of yeah, he's he's messing with that's how he thinks about his own lyrics. So again, I just like that again that all these things create the sort of sequence of back and forth and been like here's a track, is it fun? We get to talk about it, we get to analyze it, we get to critique it. Yeah, And again I think just like as long as it stays as a music, like just keep it dying. This is great, keep it keep it that it's every then it's good. It's good for everybody, and I think getting caught up. Although look like I was saying I'm a fan of Kendrick, I'm from la I personally, and I don't think that has anything to do with why I believe Kendrick is just a more gift in m see. I think objectively he is just in a different level lyrically. But that's my take and that's how I feel. But that's what I like to see because then you see what Drake does and you're like, oh, okay, that that was antagonistic. We'll see where it goes. Yeah, it doesn't doesn't mean he can't wrap.
Speaker 3: But it's just like in the arena, you're stepping in the brilliance of it is to be like, I'm going to go at the one thing you want, because you're right, I don't have as many hits as you. You're absolutely correct, So I'm not going to go pound for pound for that. The one thing you want is our co sign and you will never get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you are not just a goon. Remember that you're not a goon. And that's okay. Not everybody's not a goon. I never claimed goon. I don't like that life.
Speaker 3: I am a nice boy, which is what Jay Cole did. He's like, look, man, I'm a college I'm a college kid that just wanted to smash girls like that's yeah, that's all.
Speaker 1: I'm a nice guy. I'm a nice guy.
Speaker 2: I'm a conscious rapper.
Speaker 1: So y'all got y'all have it. But anyway, I'm sure this will continue and PROP will have to I'm sure have to have you back as inevitably because I don't think this is going to end uh with Kendrick. I don't. I don't. I mean, who knows, but I have a knowing based on Drake's meming and stuff that's happening right now. He may be cooking something up.
Speaker 2: My prediction is like this is or akin to This isn't Biggie and Tupac.
Speaker 3: This is more akin to like jay Z and nas to where it's like we get ether, we get you know what I mean, We get these classic songs that show up and again push the culture forward.
Speaker 2: I will say this though, like if we're talking about making.
Speaker 3: Hits, memorable songs, catchy sing along, move the crowd, move the club, the Eastern Seaboard in the South.
Speaker 1: You have that.
Speaker 3: I am a I bleed, I bleed California. Everybody knows. Like, but you're not taking that, You're not. You can't take that from them. However, if it comes to like taking the gloves off and like I'm gonna teach your children like like track, yes, it's it's got to be the West Coast because I'm like, you have to cite Tupac, who's I mean the first lyric out his mouth was first I fucked your wife, Like that's the first bar, Like that's where you're starting the song. Yeah, So like like if anything, if it's distracts, like we does this, Yeah, yeah, we're this is what we do out here. Yeah we we don't have gloves on, there's no that's but that's what's all. It's like it's like Game of Thrones. It's like that's how the West Coast Kingdom is, and.
Speaker 2: That's how the West Coast Kingdom.
Speaker 1: We all have our different strengths and weaknesses, and that's where we go from. I mean, yeah, look, we had our we had our little moment too with with the hits, but look it's it's coming back. We've got a lot of artists though now I mean to have a lot of artists now between.
Speaker 2: It's a good time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good time. We're all we're all winning. But anyway, that is our old head Wrap Analysis episode for you all. Thank you so much for listening. We are going to be back tomorrow with a whole new episode. Prop Thank you so much for joining me. Definitely check out Hood Politics because it's a fantastic show and I'd love to have you back and thanks for having me of course. All right, well, long live hip hop. We'll talk to you later. Bye.